Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #1  
Taming the Bread Monster

Height: 5'10"

Smile Taming the Bread Monster

Hello!

My name is Martha. I'm thirty years old and I'm a recovering breadaholic -- yes, visions of sourdough epis and rye boules are dancing my head, but I've decided to resist, resist, and resist. In years past I tricked myself into thinking my addiction was healthy. All those whole grains! And organic flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds! How could they possibly make me fat? People centuries past lived off of bread alone and managed to keep slim and trim (or so I imagined, forgetting about Rubens's rubenesque beauties). But, alas, I gained thirty pounds and found myself cranky and dejected when I could no longer fit into my favorite jeans without looking like one of my beloved pumpkin muffins.

So here I am, munching carrots and chicken breasts. I've already lost ten pounds, and feel fantastic, but I've been growing a bit disappointed lately because I've hit a plateau (though, so far the scale has only been stuck for two days). I know a lower carb diet is the way to go for me -- it's worked in the past swimmingly, but I never wanted to acknowledge that fact; I just loved my home-baked carbs too much. It's mind over stomach, I suppose, and this time I'm going to stick with my diet. My boyfriend has expressed alarm, claiming he loves a puffier Martha, but I'm going to persist, because I don't like that Martha (because she frequently feels like crap). Besides, no loaf of walnut cranberry bread or imported Italian rotini tastes as good as being fit and healthy feels.

So here's to the new year and, hopefully, a new waistline!
Aschekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

That made me lol! I love bread too! Good luck with your weight loss efforts, I'm sure you'll do great!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Haha- and two days is not a plateau btw.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #4  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

You have great writing skills!

I have a STARCH addiction.. not just bread. Its tough. But in the long run worth it because you are healthier and feel better!

Good luck to you!!
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Mmmmmmmmm, pumpernickel! I'm another good-bread-addict.

I just want to say, the scale being the same for 2 days is not a problem - don't give up! Secondly, I don't do low-carb, I count calories, and I have learned to enjoy smaller servings of bread. It was very, very, very hard, but I'm happy to say when I start maintaining, I'll be prepared to behave like an adult person with good manners near a bread basket - not an insane gimme-monster.

You can do this!
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #6  
Taming the Bread Monster

Height: 5'10"

Default Thank you!

Thank you for your responses and advice! I do need to be a bit more patient -- indeed, two pounds is not a plateau! Usually after two or three weeks of dieting, I become a bit discouraged and bored if I don't see the pounds melting off. I start thinking dangerous thoughts where I try to convince myself that bread and carbs make life fun and by golly my life should be fun instead of sad and glum because I'm only eating salads and walnuts and chicken. And then there's the boyfriend who doesn't want me to lose any more weight, which makes it even easier to come up with excuses to forgo my diet.

But, I'm determined and will remain strong. I'm counting my calories for the first time in my life (I'm sticking to 1200-1300 a day) and I'm doing Jillian's killer workout three days a week plus a bit of yoga. After I reach my goal weight of 140 pounds, I intend to add back some carbs, but only at breakfast -- eating them at any other time of the day makes me binge a bit.
Aschekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Oh how I love bread too hehe I think you have a lot of folks here that can sympathize with you on that

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #8  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Martha!
Sorry it took me a while to post, I was having flashbacks of loaves from my past - living the low carb life now! - it sounds like you're off to a great start, congrats - stick to what is right for you & you seem to know what that is -the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired - you'll be a wonderful addition to any of them, giving support and insight with humor for others on this journey.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you 've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals - here's to living la vida low carb,
Lee

Last edited by leeway; 01-09-2010 at 12:56 AM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I always thought bread was too good to give up (not that I *have* given it up), but I'm beginning to think that maybe that addicted feeling is a sign.

Still, at the very least, it does get easier to moderate, at least for me. It helps *a lot* that I'm picky about my bread. If I enjoyed supermarket white / partial whole wheat bread, I'd be in trouble. Luckily for me, my sister's homemade sourdough doesn't exist in the same space as me very often.

It helps me not to ban something prematurely. If I'm not really ready, that just makes the situation worse. Instead, I trust that if it's the right thing for me, it will eventually click into place. In the mean time, I may experiment with cutting something out, but that feels different than trying to enforce a lifelong ban.

Mind games maybe, but I'm finding that if it's for me, it eventually happens without the angst. It may still take some effort, because breaking habits always does. But the emotional angsty part of it doesn't have to be there unless I force it too early.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Oh yea..any kind of bread can become a problem for me....even the low carb diet stuff. Worst still, I have recently learned how to bake a very nice artisan wheat bread...now this gets really scary... because it is like...75 calories an ounce you know...I am trying the moderation thing right now (lol)...hope springs eternal....
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #11  
okie dokie

S/C/G: 238/219/150

Height: 5'7"

oh bread, how I love(d) the, let me count the ways... lol I have now been 7 days with no bread, its hard. I mean what do you eat for breakfast if you dont eat bread? Its not just the bread, you have to have something fattening slathered on top of it... anyway.. good luck
dstill88 is offline   Reply With Quote