Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/156/120

Height: 5'4"

Default Before I had Owen... favorite at home workouts

I had no problem getting to the gym. In fact my whole pregnancy (almost...I broke my foot at the end) I worked out six days a week. I was in fantastic shape when I was pregnant, not so much now.

I have a special needs son and he is very high maintenance (in conjunction with his special need lol) We live far outside of town so I have pretty much given up on going to the gym.

I have a treadmill (and a broken elliptical) and some weights, any suggestions on items that really helped you work out at home?

I am so out of the loop when it comes to exercise, I need all the advice I can get lol
kringla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

If it weren't for the gym at my work, I don't know how I would find the time and motivation to work out... But one thing that has been helping me is realizing that I don't have to work out for hours and hours a day to see results.

Even just 30 minutes every other day will show some progress. I have heard you can break things up to - like do 15 minutes on the treadmill in the monring, 15 in the afternoon.

When you hae a moment, do some squats and lunges.

I have a jogging stroller (bought 2nd hand from Craig's list for $25) and that works out pretty well, I can just take my son with me... however, this time of year that doesn't really work out... I COULD bundle him up, but pushing him throw the snow makes me nervous with cars driving by!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #3  

Quote:
Even just 30 minutes every other day will show some progress. I have heard you can break things up to - like do 15 minutes on the treadmill in the monring, 15 in the afternoon
This is so true and I have a horrible habit of doing the "all or nothing" approach to exercise.

Quote:
I have a jogging stroller (bought 2nd hand from Craig's list for $25) and that works out pretty well, I can just take my son with me... however, this time of year that doesn't really work out... I COULD bundle him up, but pushing him throw the snow makes me nervous with cars driving by!
I had one of those too when Owen was really little but I could never get used to running with him. I actually ran then too, I just left him with daddy lol
Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/190/145

Height: 5'3

I know what you mean! I have a treadmill at home and I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it. I've been using it more recently, but before having my DD, I used to go to the gym all the time. It was actually motivating for me to see all the "thinner" girls working out and it made me realize they are the size they are because they do workout.

Right now, one of my favorite workouts is Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred.
sockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #5  

Oh! I was wondering how that video was!! Maybe I will order that!! On Amazon there is the 30 day shred and then they have a 3 pack with some other videos. Have you used either of the other two videos?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Does the 30 day shred have cardio in it? Or is it mostly strength building?
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/184/130ish - 33 y.o.

Height: 5'2"

i highly recommend the shred. the actual workout time is 20-25 minutes. i work long days and am very tired by the time i get home.... but i can always convince myself to do the shred because it is so darn short. plus, it's cross training; strength (weighted arm and leg maneuvers, abs, push-up) and cardio (jumping jacks, pseudo jump rope, punches in a squat position, and butt-kicks) in one. there are three different series of exercises that cycle through strength, cardio, and abs (per level).
no, it doesn't fufill all of your exercise needs - but, i haven't exercised in a long while and it's a challenging starting point. i like it too because i'm not into going to the gym, nor am i motivated to the point of doing my own made up routine. this way i just hit play on the dvd and i am guided.

* see the thread in fitness videos for more on the 30day shred

Last edited by jlady; 01-10-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: guiding to other thread
jlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/190/145

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kringla View Post
Oh! I was wondering how that video was!! Maybe I will order that!! On Amazon there is the 30 day shred and then they have a 3 pack with some other videos. Have you used either of the other two videos?
No, I haven't used the others, just the 30DS...it really is a great workout!
sockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote