Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #1  

Default Lapband w. small hiatal hernia?

I've been considering Lapband surgery but I just found out that I have a small hiatal hernia. Can you still have the surgery with a hernia? Has anyone done it?
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I believe you can, they will repair it during the surgery (so I've heard). The only true way to find out is to ask your surgeon. I too have a small hiatal hernia but don't know if I had it before or after surgery.

Good luck !!!!

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

hii soulnik! leenie's right [she's ALWAYS right]. i've heard of docs repairing HUGE hernias at the same time as surgery - so have a nice chat.

Gotta say - LOVE your hair. mine's currently just about 1/2 inch longer than yours and i am SOOO happy with it!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #4  

Thanks for the replies. I was so disheartened when I first heard the news. Now I feel better.

@Jiffypop - Thanks! I love the short hair too! Though mine tends to be 1/2 longer than the photo in the winter. It's too cold for the near bald look!
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #5  

Yes, they repair it during the op.

For leenie, and all of you, did you know that you have to take care of you for 6 weeks after sugery or you can gat another hernia? If you take havy stuff around....so dont risk it after sugery!
nomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomena View Post
For leenie, and all of you, did you know that you have to take care of you for 6 weeks after sugery or you can gat another hernia? If you take havy stuff around....so dont risk it after sugery!
Yes Nomena, you are sooo right !!! my doc said NO exercise or lifting anything until I my first visit with him after surgery which was 6-8 weeks.

I can't stress enough that the first few weeks after surgery isn't about weight loss, its about healing.

Last edited by Leenie; 01-09-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #7  

My father did not listen and now he have to have another surgery -hernia! So - take care everyone!
nomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #8  
GoWear Fit All-Star

S/C/G: 280/266.8/150

Height: 5'6"

My mom just had gastric by-pass. She has a hernia and they wouldn't repair it during that surgery but will go back after she drops some weight, most like 6 months to a year.
mulder1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder1921 View Post
My mom just had gastric by-pass. She has a hernia and they wouldn't repair it during that surgery but will go back after she drops some weight, most like 6 months to a year.
Ohh that's rough... poor Mama give her a big hug from us.