South Beach Diet - What Are You Reading in 2010?

View Full Version : What Are You Reading in 2010?

Kim_Star060404
01-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I can't believe it's January 7 and we haven't started this thread yet!!! I did look pretty hard, and if there is already one I sincerely apologize.

I just picked up The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollard from the library. CyndiM has always spoken highly of his books and I've always wanted to read them, so I took the plunge and they'll be my first "real" reads of 2010. I'm really looking forward to them! My local library doesn't carry any of the others, but I'm hoping to find them cheap online or on paperback swap soon.

My goal this year is to spend more "me" time and nothing is better than reading for that. I hope I have a lot more books to report on in the future.

So, what are you reading?

jenne1017
01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I am doing the whole "me" thing too Kim! The first book for me of 2010 is The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (author of The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons). I am about 150 pages in and so far so good. It follows his typical formula thus far, but since it takes place in DC, I have a better time closing my eyes and imagining where it's all taking place (I used to work in the US Capitol!).

Ruthxxx
01-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Well, I just finished "Heat" by Billy Bsomething. It's a true story about a writer for the New Yorker who took a year to work as an apprentice to Mario Batali. It was a really interesting read - except I kept wanting pasta and wine.

Right now I'm reading John Irving's "Last Night in Twisted River" but am not really into it yet. I also have Margaret Atwood's "Year of the Flood" to tackle. My book club selection for the current period is "The Book of Negroes" which I just got today. Current recipe book is Judith Jones' "Cooking for One".

Kim_Star060404
01-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Jenne: I've been meaning to start reading Brown's books. I may do that after I finish Pollan's. I've never been to DC, but would love to one of these days. DH is a bit of a history buff, so it's on our list of places to go.

Ruth: Heat sounds like a book I could really get into. I'll have to look at that as well.

My current recipe book is So Easy by Ellie Krieger. I'm also reading Small Changes , Big Results by her and applying her 12-week program to the SB WOE. I really love her approach to living well and have recently really gotten into her methods and cooking show.

charlottekelsey
01-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm reading "The Power of NOW". I've personally never been into those self-discovery books but lately I've been needing that motivation and that extra push to remind myself that I can finish the journey I began and maintain a healthy lifestyle for as long as I live.

WaistingTime
01-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I love to read! I like escapism fiction. I am very lucky because my mom buys all the new hardcovers and passes them on to me.

If you like thrillers, I recommend "Bad Things Happen" by Harry Dolan. I just finished it; it was very good and not a typical or expected plot. I also recently finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett (for book club) and really enjoyed it.

I have read the Brown book and while just in DC (during the blizzard) saw they now have tours for his plot locations!

I will be interested to see what you think of the Omnivore's Dilemma, Kim. I read it a couple years ago because my son had it as required reading the summer before he started college. It has gotten very mixed reviews from people I know. Did you ever read Fast Food Nation?

So many books; so little time:)

cottagebythesea
01-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm currently reading "Lavender Morning" by Jude Deveraux, and next on my list is "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Over the holidays I read the first two books in Nora Roberts new series "Vows", and can't wait for the next book to come out in April.

sophie
01-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Got about six books for Christmas and just finished reading "My Life in France" by Julia Child. I greatly admire her and cooked quite a few recipes from Mastering French Cooking in my younger years. I can't believe the detailed research she went into. For instance in volume II there is a recipe for French Bread and she used 285lbs of flour before she perfected the recipe. It was a very good read.
Also, before Christmas I read The Elegance of the Hedgehog but right now the name of the author escapes me. Will report more on this book when I find it somewhere in my moutain of books.
take care
Sophie

murphmitch
01-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I just started "The Omnivore's Dilemma". I just finished "The Queen of Fats: Why Omega-3s Were Removed from the Western Diet and What We Can Do to Replace Them". I highly recommend this book if you can find it. Really supports a lot of the SB tenets. It was featured in Prevention magazine a couple months ago. I have a stack of books next to my bed. One of my resolutions is to get through all of them.

Kim_Star060404
01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm loving The Omnivore's Dilemma so far! There are some aspects of it that I don't necessarily agree with i.e., we're creationists who believe in evolution (it's not as oxymoronic as you think ;)), so some of his assessments are not ones that I can get behind, but the evolution of our food culture in America is astonishing and has really made me think about what I'm feeding myself and DH. I don't want to be a "corn person"!! I'm looking forward to getting further into it.

Sophie: I'd love to read that book. I did a quick search and it sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

Shimmy Slim
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Right now I am re-reading South Beach Diet--SUpercharged and I'm hoping to get a copy of In Defence of Food for my birthday. I'm a big comics fan, too, and I'm currently reading Book 2 of the Booster Gold ongoing series. Good stuff :)

WaistingTime
01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I am halfway through the 13th Hour by Richard Doestch. It has a very unusual premise for a thriller... "A mesmerizing thriller told in reverse! The 13th Hour is the story of a man given the chance to go back in time in one-hour increments to prevent a vicious crime from destroying his life."

JennyGetsSkinny
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Let's see... my reading lists are usually very short other than med school related reading, but I did read "The Weight of Silence" recently and am dying to start "The Lacuna" by my fave, Barbara Kingsolver. If you haven't read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by her you should... totally blows your mind about the industry behind food products. Also has some great recipes for seasonal eating and some good ideas for learning to home can and make cheeses. Not that I'll have time for either of those things any time in the next few years...

murphmitch
01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
but the evolution of our food culture in America is astonishing and has really made me think about what I'm feeding myself and DH. I don't want to be a "corn person"!! I'm looking forward to getting further into it.

If you get a chance, watch the movie "Food, Inc." that came out last year. Michael Pollan narrates it and it really gets into the production of food in America and the whole corn issue. It really is an eye-opener that everyone should watch.

CyndiM
01-11-2010, 08:04 PM
I just saw Food, Inc a few weeks ago. Even knowing most of it I still found it deeply disturbing. All of the reading I've done has really reinforced the choices SBD makes and the choices we have made in our own life. It isn't necessary to read all this stuff but it really helps me focus on making the healthiest choices I can.

I'm adding a book to not waste your money on for anyone into the Michael Pollan, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, etc type books. It's The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson. I read a couple of posts about it on 3FC and decided to pick it up (yes, I actually purchased it). With all the reading I've already done I found it very redundant and simplistic. Nothing new here, not even particularly interesting recipes. Second, very poor sourcing which drives me crazy. After reading some of the other books mentioned along with Mindless Eating, The End of Overeating, and Rethinking Thin (yes, I'm a little fixated on books about healthy diet and food issues ;) ) which are all very well sourced and full of interesting studies this book was a big disappointment. She makes lots of pronouncements with almost no research to back it up. I am familiar with the research but from other books. It was very disappointing. All that being said if you haven't read the other books and are looking for a simple summary you might find it a good starter book. I do wish I'd tried the library first though.

ETA - thanks for the recommendation Murph. I've added it to my list :)

beachgal
01-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Kim, bless your heart for starting the thread! :hug: I was thinking of it a lot over the last two weeks and hoping someone would take care of it. My sister is getting married in May (I know that sounds far away, but to a bride, it's like TOMORROW!!!! :stress: ) and I've been trying to get a sample DVD of a photo slideshow to her in time for her to try it at her venue this weekend. I've been spending hours and hours trying to work out kink after kink with two different computers and tons of programs. It's been insane!

Promise to write more about what I'm reading and comment on all your awesome posts...but for now, it's time for bed. Type more soon! :grouphug:

murphmitch
01-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Cyndi, I read The End of Overeating & thought it was very good.

zeffryn
01-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I've been reading A History of the American People by Paul Johnson and The Well Trained Mind along with a bunch of different homeschool philosophy books. I've been re-dedicating myself to the Charlotte Mason way of schooling before I start preschool.

jenne1017
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Finished The Lost Symbol and it was ok. Didn't care for the ending. Meh. Glad I borrowed it and didn't buy it.

Now it's focus on school-books (double meh), but in my queue are: Son of a Witch, the 7th book in the James Patterson Women's Murder club series, and James Patterson's "W."

Schmoodle
01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm reading Half Broke Horses, which my mom gave me for Christmas (she must want to read it :D). I think it's pretty good, but I haven't really been able to get into it. I think that's just me though, not the book. I would consider it light reading.
I also read In Cold Blood over Christmas - very festive right? I don't know what brought that on. It's a good book, but very disturbing.

Ruth, I love Margaret Atwood. I haven't read that one yet. Interested to see what you think.
Kim, You'd better not come to DC without arranged a fat chicks get together! I am nearby and so are others! I love watching Ellie Krieger's show.

murphmitch
01-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Jenn, I felt the same way about The Lost Symbol. I was disappointed.

tomandkara
01-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Jenn, I'm wondering which of Dan Brown's books you liked best. I think _Angels and Demons_ is still my favorite. I also liked _Digital Fortress_ but did not at all like _Deception Point_.

I just finished _Memoirs of a Geisha_ and LOVED it! I had never read it before but the librarian recommended it to me. I picked up a Clive Cussler book (_Golden Buddha_) for the plane ride but haven't picked it up since we've been in the States. Too many other things to do. I'm sure I'll get through a chunk of it on the plane tomorrow.

WaistingTime
01-15-2010, 08:20 AM
I loved Geisha too! Other all time favorites for me are "Saving Adam" and "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."

Kim_Star060404
01-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Kara, Memoirs of a Geisha is my all-time favorite book. After I finished reading it, I did an "interview" with my grandma about geisha and life in general in Japan Pre-WWII and did a presentation for speech from those two sources, mingling fiction with fact. It's the favorite school project I've ever done. I think it was such a powerful book for me because of my family history, but even without the link to the "time and place of the tale", I think it would have been one of my favorites.

murphmitch
01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I liked "Memoirs of a Geisha" too. I've read all the Dan Brown books and "Angels & Demons" was definitely my favorite. Kara, I have read all the Clive Cussler novels. Wish he was still writing. The movie "Sahara" was really miscast & a big disappointment. Matthew McConaughey is not my idea of Dirk Pitt.

Xan
01-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I read like crazy over Christmas. I had a cold, and so had the time. (I'm a teacher and was on break.) I was catching up on some bestsellers I missed: Ian MacEwen's "Amsterdam" and "Saturday" (good books, quick reads, liked them, but didn't love them). "Sarah's Key," a Holocaust story, which I thought was a good story, but not very well-written. Isiguro's "Never Let Me Go" which sticks with you. The one I liked best was "The Piano Teacher" by Janice Y.K. Lee. A beautifully written first novel set in Hong Kong, partly during World War II and partly ten years after. Now I'm back in my real world (school) land am reading "Jane Eyre" and lots about the Brontes. :)

cottagebythesea
01-17-2010, 02:17 PM
I loved "Memoirs of A Geisha" so much that I went out and bought the movie. :) I also enjoyed reading "Snowflower and the Secret Fan", by Lisa See. Different countries, but all set in the exotic Orient.

I finished "Lavender Morning", and really enjoyed it. I didn't realize until the end that it's a sequel, and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. Right now I'm thoroughly engrossed in "Firefly Lane", by Kristin Hannah and have her next book "True Colors" waiting on my nightstand. I had planned to read "The Help" next, but that will have to wait.

Shimmy Slim
01-17-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm reading "The Diet Delusion" (also known as Good Calorie, Bad Calorie) and I'm starting to look more favourably on saturated fats. An interesting read, although quite heavy going.

sarahlynn89
01-17-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm reading Superfreakonomics, the follow-up to Freakonomics. But, classes are starting soon so I will have a lot less time for fun reading. I work in a library, so there is so much temptation to pick up new books and read them, I wish I had more time!

beachgal
01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Waisting and Kim, have you seen the movie, Food, Inc.? [edited to add: guess Murph beat me to in on suggesting this one! :lol: ] I loved it, though parts were hard to watch. It was very inspiring and educational!

Waisting, I'm with you on the escapist fiction, especially with the way the world is these days. Seems some people handle difficult times by trying to scare themselves with something worse than what's happening (i.e. alien movies), while others try to escape into other, more happy and peaceful worlds. I'm in the latter category! Pass the Jane Austin and I'm happy. 13th Hour sounds intriguing!

Cottage, can't wait to hear what you think of The Help. It was one of the best books I've read in a very long time, and I absolutely couldn't put it down. I love Deveraux, too! What's Firefly Lane about?

Shimmy, tell us why you're looking more favorably on saturated fats. I'm intrigued!

Kim, I don't think it's oxymoronic to be a person of faith but also believe in evolution, but I get that lots of others might. Count me in to that category too, so it makes me wonder what was challenging in Omnivore's Dilemma (I haven't read it yet...). PM me, if you want, about it. :)

Oooh, Jenne, I really liked Son of a Witch. Can't wait for the next one!!!

Kara, even though you've already read it, if you ever get a chance, listen to Memoirs of a Geisha on CD. It's one of the best audio book recordings I've ever heard. Phenomenal.

Sarah, my mom always says, "Why don't you just work in a library: you'd love it!" and I tell her that's like suggesting an alcoholic should work in a liquor store. ;) I'm dying to hear what you think of SuperFreakonomics...I loved the first one (to my endless surprise) and would be very interested in learning more!

I read SO much over the holidays, it seems! Here's my rundown (I'm sure I'll miss some!):

South of Broad, by Pat Conroy. Though I've seen the movie version of Prince of Tides, I'd never read Conroy before this, so I can't comment on how much it's like (or different) from his previous books. However, the writing was absolutely gorgeous, the story was compelling, and the main character was awesome. The story is about a boy who is a bit of a misfit and the friends he made during his senior year of high school. They come back together to help one of their group when they are adults, and drama ensues. There was a bit more description of the more disturbing parts than I wanted to read, and the ending of the big drama in the second half of the novel seemed anticlimactic, but I'd definitely recommend this one for anyone interested in southern life, quirky characters, and mysteries, who also has a bit of a strong stomach when it comes to disturbing violence.

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb: This book, like the Conroy, was for my book club, otherwise I don't think I would have picked it up. Though I enjoyed his first novel (She's Come Undone), my overall experience with it was slightly disturbing, and I didn't have a yen for more. However, this novel was quite different. There were some connections I could see, but I enjoyed it more. Like South of Broad, there were some disturbing moments here, although most were of the graphic sex kind rather than the violence in Conroy's novel. The book is about a couple, both of which were teachers at Columbine, though only one was present the day of the attack. Though there is certainly a lot of information about Columbine in the book, the story is really about the aftermath of that event and how it affected the characters in the years to come. My favorite part of the novel was the information and stories about the main male character's ancestors, who were abolitionists and female prison reformers. That was fascinating. This is a LONG book, but I'm really glad I made it through it.

A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas. This story wasn't really ordered in any specific way. It was more a stream-of-consciousness reflection of his childhood, but it was full of witty, wonderful remarks and description. Wonderful to go through before Christmas!

Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb. This one was a short Christmas story, which I downloaded on to my Kindle (my Christmas present from my wonderful DH!) after a friend told me how good it was. She wasn't kidding! What a funny and wonderful Christmas tale! This is the story of a pre-adolescent boy living in New Jersey and attending a Catholic school. He has an extended, hilarious, Italian family, and his class is creating a very unique Christmas pageant. It's wonderful!

Prep (http://www.amazon.com/Prep-Novel-Curtis-Sittenfeld/dp/081297235X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264451753&sr=8-1)by Curtis Sittenfeld: Oooh, this one was SUCH a guilty pleasure!!! It tells the story of a midwestern girl who attends a fancy prep school, on scholarship, of course, for her four high school years. I could so relate to the main character, though at times I wanted to whap her upside the head and tell her to get over herself! It was a really intriguing look into that world with a narrarator who was metacognitive and very real.

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks: I haven't read March by this author, since I absolutely love Little Women, and a friend said a scene in March just spoiled it for her. But another friend recommended this book, Brooks' first published novel, to me, and I'm so glad she did! It sounds strange to say that this book was wonderful, since it's the account of a village in England which, in 1666, voluntarily cut themselves off from civilization in hopes of containing the Plague, which had infected many of them. But this book was truly wonderful! The narrarator was incredible, the detail was enough to be intriguing, but not so much you felt lost, and the story itself was brilliant. If you liked The Red Tent, I think you'll LOVE this book!

I'm listening to the book The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry, and am, for the most part, really enjoying it. I seem to have a yen for Colonial American settings! Here's the synopsis:

In Barry's captivating debut, Towner Whitney, a dazed young woman descended from a long line of mind readers and fortune tellers, has survived numerous traumas and returned to her hometown of Salem, Mass., to recover. Any tranquility in her life is short-lived when her beloved great-aunt Eva drowns under circumstances suggesting foul play. Towner's suspicions are taken with a grain of salt given her history of hallucinatory visions and self-harm. The mystery enmeshes local cop John Rafferty, who had left the pressures of big city police work for a quieter life in Salem and now finds himself falling for the enigmatic Towner as he mourns Eva and delves into the history of the eccentric Whitney clan. Barry excels at capturing the feel of smalltown life, and balances action with close looks at the characters' inner worlds. Her pacing and use of different perspectives show tremendous skill and will keep readers captivated all the way through.

I'm currently reading Independent People by Halldor Laxness for my book club. I'm so excited by this book because it seems to describe the kind of life my great-great grandparents and their ancestors lived! It was published in 1937, but the author won the Pullitzer Prize in 1955. He's witty and wonderful, from what I've read so far, and I'm reading this book on my Kindle, so I'm having a blast adding highlights and notes that are easy to access! :yay:

So, what have YOU been reading?

Wavesmom
01-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Oh, a BOOK thread :) Wahoo!!

I am reading "Managing Cultural Differences - a Global Leadership Strategy". Sound like a textbook? lol. This is the final semester in my MBA program, then after that, NO more textbooks.

For fun I am reading "Last Night in Twisted River." It takes a few chapters to get into it, but I am cruising along. After that, I have a big stack of books waiting, but they may have to wait until this semester is over, then stand back! I am going on a Reading Marathon. :)

tomandkara
01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Karen, what kind of books are _Saving Adam_ and _Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil_?

Kim, is your grandmother from Japan? Was she a geisha???

Anne, I completely agree. And I can't believe they cast Steve Zahn as Al! Both of them were way off from what I imagined Dirk and Al looking and acting like. I just wanted to turn the movie off and pick up the book!

Xan, good luck with the Brontes. I cannot say that they are my favorites. Blech. Maybe I'll give them another decade or so and try again. My aunt was just telling me about _Sarah's Key_. She was reading it for her book club. I am interested to pick up _The Piano Teacher_ now. I'll see if I can get it at the library this week.

I finished _Golden Buddha_ and thought it was OK. It's the first of his Oregon Files books, which are my favorite (save _The Chase_, which is my all-time favorite Cussler book), but I think the editing was a little off because I had to read some sentences a bunch of times to get them to make sense and I found quite a few misspellings. That's always distracting to me. But I enjoyed the story and it was fun to read.

Today I just started _A Year of Living Biblically_ by A.J. Jacobs. A friend recommended it to me and it's hilarious! The author decided to take the Bible literally for a year and he chronicles his journey. He's Jewish, but he says he's Jewish in the same way that the Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant, which is to say, not so much. He classifies himself as an agnostic but he comes to his writing with an open mind and doesn't seem to be defending his philosophy. I'm curious to see what he thinks of organized religion by the end of the book.

I have two Hamish McBeth books by M.C. Beaton also in line to read. I loved her Agatha Raisin series and I'm excited to get to Hamish McBeth's stories.

WaistingTime
01-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I would like to read "Snowflower..." someday. I thought "South of Broad" was a bit slow.

Kara - Oops... it is "Expecting Adam" and is memoir by Martha Beck. (I have a bad memory.) Martha Beck. It tells about her pregnancy with her son with Down's Syndrome and some spiritual stuff in her life. My book club all loved it. "Midnight in the Garden of GOod and Evil" is about a true murder in Savannah but reads like a fiction account of a bunch of eccentric characters. I read it before I visited the city. (The book is much better than the movie.)

I am reading "U is for Undertow" now. Sara Paretsky PI fiction.

Sheba's Mom
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Beachgal - I loved The Lace Reader. I been to and love Salem, Mass and could picture all of the places they were talking about. I also loved the twist in it. Lots of food for thought.

I just finished Atlantis Code and Ark of Fire both of them are on the lines of the Dan Brown books. Looking for Atlantis and the church chasing after them in Atlantis Code. The Ark of Fire was looking for the Ark of the Covenant with religious zealots as the bad guys. Both were pretty good and light reading.

I just finished Gift from the Sea by Anne Lindbergh for my book club. It is about a woman comparing a woman's life to different sea shells. Not really something I liked but some of it was interesting. Her sentence structure was way to long for the most part.

I just started Still Alice by Lisa Genova for my book club. It is about a 50 year old woman who is a Harvard Professor that develops early on-set Alzheimer's. It has been really good so far and I have had a hard time putting it down.

Lexxiss
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Since I'm going to Arizona, I'm going to read "Hopi" which is a pictoral history of the area I'm going to. Take with me books are "Yoga from the Inside Out"-Making peace with your body through Yoga, and "Essential Yoga" an illustrated guide. I'm working on a home practice and I think it would help to keep reading.

tigerkt2007
02-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I just finished reading Dear John this weekend, what a disappointment! I saw the movie today and it was so much better!

Now I am reading The Girl Who Played With Fire by Steig Larsson

WaistingTime
02-09-2010, 06:36 PM
I am reading Game Change since my mom loaned it to me and loved it. So far I am bored... I am not into politics. I am also starting my bargain-basement priced 3FC book.

Tiger - did you realize that Larsson died before any of his series was published!? How sad.

cottagebythesea
02-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I just finished reading two really good books by Kristen Hannah, Firefly Lane and True Colors. I especially enjoyed Firefly Lane and could hardly put the book down. At first I couldn't get into True Colors, as I didn't care for one of the main characters at all, nor their language, but about 1/3 of the way through, the story really got good. I'm glad I stayed with it and would highly recommend both books.

Right now I'm reading Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. I just started it, but I've read several of her books and have really enjoyed them.

Schmoodle
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I would expect with all the snow that we'd be reading away, but I had to dig this thread out! I have so many credits on PBS and can't think of anything to order so I came here looking for inspiration.

Right now I'm reading A Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. I've loved all the other books in the Outlander series, but I really feel like I'm slogging through this one. I'm about halfway through, and so far nothing much has happened. Hopefully it will pick up.

And I'm reading Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief with the kids. They are really enjoying it, and I think it's okay, no Harry Potter, but not bad.

tomandkara
02-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Schmoodle, I've heard the new Percy Jackson movie is very different than the books. Glad to hear you're enjoying the book!

I just finished _The Year of Living Biblically_ by A.J. Jacobs. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

I ordered a book about Martin Luther for our church's high school graduates and figured I should really read it first before giving it to them, so that's what I'm in the middle of right now. It's really interesting and I'm enjoying it.

cottagebythesea
02-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Schmoodle, I didn't enjoy The Fiery Cross as much as I did the other books in the series. The characters seemed different, somehow.

I just finished Shanghai Girls, and it was fantastic. I think there will be a sequel to it, as it more or less ended with a cliffhanger.

WaistingTime
09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Lindsay is looking for vacation reading ideas. Suggestions anyone?

As for what I am reading now, I am finally joining the Oprah bandwagon and reading "Women, Food and God." Not sure it is me.

Next on my night stand is Jennifer Weiner's newest - "Fly away home."

audri8301
09-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Not sure what genres she is interested in. I have done a lot of reading this summer. I started the Stephanie Plum series and it's very entertaining, light reading. The books are pretty funny, too.

I also just finished Justin Cronin's The Passage which I thought was excellent. It's really complex so it's hard to explain here, but it's a post-apocalyptic vampire book, but it is NOTHING like the Twilight books (or most of the other vampire books I have read).

Bekidawn
09-01-2010, 10:27 PM
They really are. I read them, I write them. One day I'll be published and thin and have nothing decorating any wall in my house because they'll all be covered in full bookcases!

Ahhh.... seriously now. I have a women's fiction kinda taste, and though I love Ms. O, I cannot deal with her seriously depressing book club, but that's just me. So, my suggestions are going to be fun with serious emotional themes, and mostly with happy endings.

I love gods in Alabamaby Joshilyn Jackson and everything else by her. She's hysterically funny and real and very emotionally satisfying. My favorite writer for years and years now is Jennifer Crusie, though I wasn't as thrilled with her co-written books with Bob Mayer. I would recommend ANY of her single-titles, but my favorites are Fast Womenand Bet Me.

I could go on and on and on like this, but I've been taking notes of the stuff you guys like and giggling as I plan a trip to my local used bookstore for tomorrow! Yay!:hug:

Onsecondthought
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Two books that I recently read and absolutely loved are The Help by Kathryn Stockett and The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. If you're looking for something a little more challenging, Pride and Prejudice has always been a fav.

Kim_Star060404
11-10-2010, 01:26 PM
I hope we still have some voracious readers here! I love reading about what everyone is reading! ;)

I'm currently reading The Circle Series by Ted Dekker and I'm really loving it. I'm on book three, White and I can't wait to find out what happens next!

I'm also reading The Love Dare by Stephen Kendrick, Alex Kendrick, and Lawrence Kimbrough and just started Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You by John Macarthur as well.

I made a commitment to only read books written by Christian authors through the end of the year because I would pick up a book that looked good, get half way through it, and then, BAM! I'd stumble into something horrid such as gratuitous sex, violence, and etc. and I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. This way I know ahead of time that I won't be blushing as I read. :)

So, what are you reading?

Schmoodle
11-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi Kim! I love your avatar!

I am too dorky and excited to read anything that's not Harry Potter right now. But after I get that out of my system, I've got a pile of to-reads. The Red Tent is on top. I recently read She's Come Undone, which I expected to hate once I started reading it, because it seemed too chicklit, but I ended up finishing and liking. And I want to get my hands on Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff. And I just ordered this book because my friend Julie has a story in it. http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Crime-Stories-England-Writers/dp/0970098480/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287697621&sr=1-10