Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

Default Sore !

So I just started exercising to workout videos about 30 minutes a day. It has been about 6 days, and I really haven't done intense exercise for about 4 years except for a couple of light yoga classes. Well, right now I am feeling SORE everywhere. My back, legs, shoulders. Does anyone have any advice? Is it really OK to exercise every single day? I'm putting a hot water bottle on my back right now, I hope this will work.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

First, congratulations on starting a new exercise program.

Second, don't use heat on sore muscles! It can just exacerbate the chemical reaction that causes inflammation, making things worse rather than better. Plain old rest is better, ice if you feel like you've strained something. (For a great article on this, see here.) It's probably time for a rest day.

Third, and this may be small comfort: the first couple of weeks are usually the worst, in terms of post-exercise soreness. After that, you're body starts to become more accustomed to the exercise, and won't get as sore.

(Of course, if your body gets too accustomed to a given workout, it means you're no longer getting as much fitness value out of it as you did when you first started. That's why fitness professionals recommend that you change around your workout, and shake things up when you've hit a plateau... but that may not be for a while, yet.)

be strong //
K
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Mikan, congrats on starting an exercise program... I agree, it's time for a break, your body needs those days off to replesh.. Newbies are sometimes overly enthusiastic, exercise too much and causing injury, then giving up. Don't give up, take a break from your video, go for a nice walk instead, do something different.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #4  

Thank you kaw, I used heat on it, but next time I won't and maybe try ice. I think you're right because I woke up and was still kind of sore. (haha). I will keep trying and take your word that it gets better.

Ilene, thank you. I am being overly enthusiastic, but I will continue today with something a little different and keep trying.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

I still get sore. After 3 months at the gym, 1 month with a trainer lifting, I'm still sore. There are some muscles I never realized I had until they hurt.

But, I give myself Sat and Sun off, to rest up and play with my kids, so by Monday I'm ready to hit it again. I'm starting to enjoy the sore muscles, to a point. Makes me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something. Not sore to the point of can't move, but sore enough that I know we worked that body part good.

Stretch stretch stretch...can't say that enough.
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzyszoo View Post
I still get sore. After 3 months at the gym, 1 month with a trainer lifting, I'm still sore. There are some muscles I never realized I had until they hurt.

But, I give myself Sat and Sun off, to rest up and play with my kids, so by Monday I'm ready to hit it again. I'm starting to enjoy the sore muscles, to a point. Makes me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something. Not sore to the point of can't move, but sore enough that I know we worked that body part good.

Stretch stretch stretch...can't say that enough.
Thank you. I have been using some short and simple yoga workouts added to my routine so hopefully in a few months I can be sore, but in a good way !
Old 01-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

I've been thinking of adding a yoga class as well...I could use the added flexibility.

Good luck!
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote