Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2000, 08:43 AM   #1  

This Americanized version of a traditional African stew was featured in Cooking Light last year. It's become a staple in our household because it's easy to make with all of the canned ingredients (we usually use leftover chicken) and is delicious.

African Chicken Peanut Stew

Cooking Spray
1 1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (8 oz.)
1 cup bottled salsa
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 (16 oz.) cans low sodium chicken broth
2 (15 oz) cans Healthy Choice Chicken w/rice Soup or equivalent
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter

Heat a large cooking pot with cooking spray. Add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno, saute 10 minutes. Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Whisk in peanut butter, cook a few more minutes and serve.

Makes 10-12 one cup servings.

Each serving has 188 calories, 3.5 grams of fiber. 6 grams of fat, 20 grams carbohydrates. 1 cup =4 points.

[This message has been edited by Tally (edited 05-31-2000).]
Old 09-15-2000, 09:48 AM   #2  

Oh boy, does this ever sound good. I just emailed it to a friend who's husband comes from West (I think) Africa. I wondered if they ate a recipe similar to this. I'm going to try it out.

Thanks!
Diane
Old 03-20-2001, 09:30 AM   #3  
Ready to Offer Support!

This is a fantastic recipe. I tried it on my family and it was a big hit. I've made it a couple times. Hints: my familly prefers less peanut butter - otherwise it becomes overwhelming. I only use a couple tblspoons. Also, one time I was out of the chicken and rice soup, and just substituted more broth instead. Didn't come out well - the chicken/rice soup really is one of the secrets to this recipe - that and the salsa. Enjoy!!
Closed Thread