Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Applebee's 550-Calorie Menu

View Full Version : Applebee's 550-Calorie Menu

Rashomon
01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
A friend and I went to Applebee's today for our weekly lunch and we both got a meal off their new 550-calorie menu. I'm pleased to say that the food is tasty. She got the Citrus Skewered Shrimp and I the Shrimp Diavolo Pasta. She couldn't eat the rice that came with the shrimp due to an onion allergy and they ignored the "no onions" request, so no reports on how the rice was. Her shrimp had a sweet, but not overly so, sauce and the serving is three skewers of five or six shrimp, so you're not getting a tiny serving in interest of saving calories. Her vegetables were well-cooked as well (with exception to the carrots; she said they were barely on this side of cooked).

The pasta was nice and spicy with plenty of shrimp. The portion size was just right and the pasta is whole-wheat for 2+health.

If anybody else tries the other items on the menu, let me know how they are!

heartmyboys
01-08-2010, 04:13 PM
i also had the citris grilled shrimp! it was so good! i did have the rice and it was good too! it came with 3 skewers of medium sized shrimp. i was pleasantly surprised. i was expecting 2 skewers! hoooray for applebees even though they won't disclose their nutrional menu to me! :mad:

:carrot:

VernDern
01-08-2010, 04:21 PM
I went and had the chicken portabello plate. I cant remember the correct name...

It was realllly good. I was very surprised! I will definitely be getting it again. My friend had the pasta and wasnt too impressed but I think it was mainly because of the whole wheat pasta which I can understand because you have to get used to it!

Has anyone had that yummy shrimp & spinach salad (but w/ chicken instead of shrimp)? It is soooooooo good but sadly it's over 800 cals! Boo! lol

Diana3271
01-09-2010, 12:08 AM
I also had the shrimp skewers, rice, and steamed broccoli. I really enjoyed it. It was funny when the waitress put my meal down, DH looked at it, and said out loud "That's diet?!" We were eating our food and he wanted to try a shrimp. He really liked it. Then he wanted to taste the rice and ended up eating 2 more of my shrimp. He thought it was very tasty and wants to go back to order it for himself. Yes, he needs to get his own and stay away from mine. :devil: :D

They say the meals are under 550 calories, but how many calories are in them? It is concerning that they won't disclose this information.

caryesings
01-09-2010, 11:01 AM
They say the meals are under 550 calories, but how many calories are in them? It is concerning that they won't disclose this information.

I would suspect 549.5

ANOther
01-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I would suspect 549.5

:lol3:

girl81
01-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Just a heads up...
http://cbs3.com/health/meal.restaurant.chain.2.1411135.html
and
http://www.abc2news.com/content/themenutest/story/All-Test-Results-Real-Calorie-and-Fat-Content/w2umT8crnEehwDjSe8dEIg.cspx (view "Comparison Chart")

heartmyboys
01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
boy is that discouraging! i've always thought the count could never be that accurate...but by that much! :( more exercise ahead just in case!!

Diana3271
01-25-2010, 09:57 PM
We ended up going to Applebee's again tonight. I had the Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portebellos w/steamed veggies and red potatoes. It was very good. I had the Asiago Steak last week. I have tried 3 of their meals and my favorite is the Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portebellos. Here is another link I found, http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=diet_friendly_dining_applebees

AnnieDrews
01-26-2010, 01:47 PM
We ended up going to Applebee's again tonight. I had the Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portebellos w/steamed veggies and red potatoes. It was very good. I had the Asiago Steak last week. I have tried 3 of their meals and my favorite is the Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portebellos. Here is another link I found, http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=diet_friendly_dining_applebees

I don't know how accurate that is. For example, the dailyspark site says the Asiago Steak is total of 390 calories for 7 oz. steak and the rest of the meal. 3 ounces of sirloin steak contains 213 calories (acaloriecounter.com) in itself so that doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe they have the portion sizes down incorrectly? I'd like to know why (I think I know) they won't reveal their nutritional info.

mayness
01-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't know how accurate that is. For example, the dailyspark site says the Asiago Steak is total of 390 calories for 7 oz. steak and the rest of the meal. 3 ounces of sirloin steak contains 213 calories (acaloriecounter.com) in itself so that doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe they have the portion sizes down incorrectly? I'd like to know why (I think I know) they won't reveal their nutritional info.

I'm pretty sure when any restaurant lists the size of a steak, they use the weight before cooking. Which adds up to about 350 calories for the steak... which makes the "under 550" fairly believable, but not so much the 390 that other site claims.

ACivE
01-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Just a heads up...
http://cbs3.com/health/meal.restaurant.chain.2.1411135.html
and
http://www.abc2news.com/content/themenutest/story/All-Test-Results-Real-Calorie-and-Fat-Content/w2umT8crnEehwDjSe8dEIg.cspx (view "Comparison Chart")

Yeah this is quite depressing. I must say that when something tastes too good to be true(because they put extra oil, cheese, sauce, et al) or if you're suprised by how large the portion is for the publish calories--fact is, your insticts are probably correct.

A report came out about some microwave meals too... published calories of like 300 and there being like 50% more calories in the tested meal. Granted, they'd only test one meal instead of a large sample--but I'd hate to be eating that one they tested and think it was 300 instead of the actual 450.

eclipse
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Hmmm. . .I know their website doesn't provide nutritional information, but I'm pretty sure the law in CA requires them to provide it at the point of service. Next time I'm in one, I'll see if they have a brochure.

girl81
01-27-2010, 02:55 AM
Hmmm. . .I know their website doesn't provide nutritional information, but I'm pretty sure the law in CA requires them to provide it at the point of service. Next time I'm in one, I'll see if they have a brochure.

The trouble is, sometimes the info provided is not independently laboratory tested.

hometowngirl
01-27-2010, 03:51 AM
I usually get a steak dinner when I go there. Steak, vegetables & a potato... yum, yum! :eating2:

Diana3271
01-27-2010, 08:21 AM
I know there are questions about how accurate these carlories are. I have to eat out on a regular basis, so these are still better options for me. I'm glad these are available and I wish more restaurants would do the same.

mandymic
01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
My hesitation is not so much just on the calories and whether or not they're factual. To me, it seems they're hiding more info because they don't want us to know how bad the food actually is.
My biggest issue since I started to eat clean foods and stopped calorie counting is what is on the rest of the nutrional label. What about sodium?? Subway claims their sandwiches are so much healthier, yet their 'healthiest' sandwiches top over 1100mg of Sodium!

To me:
Not publishing nutritional info= they're hiding something from us!

Hades Handmaiden
02-04-2010, 08:21 PM
I would suspect 549.5

The way mine equaled out was only 365. I had the steak, substitute veggies for the potatoes. They say under 550 because people like me will substitute things like the potatoes for veggies and what not. In my case I reduced the calories. In the case of others if you remove the veggies, you can't complain when you go over 550 but they are supposed to let you know that. Each one varies but the just of it is that one of them exceed 550 calories.

blueridgegirl
02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I had the asiago steak from this menu when I went there last week. Really flavorful and enjoyable. The steak didn't seem to fatty, and there was a nice amount of cheese on top but it wasn't oily or greasy. Good portion size - came with potatoes but a reasonable amount. I'd order it again if I went there.

My two cents: even if I order something from the 'healthy' menu at a restaurant, I try to factor in that it may be off (even really off) from the official nutrition info. Plus a lot of times it's more sodium than I'd have in homecooked food. So even if I order something from a healthy menu, I expect the scale to be up a bit. All the more reason to keep eating out to a minimum for me...I guess that is one benefit to all the snow and icy roads- it forces me to stay home and cook!

jennrose93
02-10-2010, 10:50 AM
so my mom and i went there monday and i had the steak towers very good and they are cut up in to 4 pieces so 2 wraps and they are like 250 each so 500 calories!!!

And if your applebees has the new wanton Tacos GREAT!! there are 4 of them and all four are 610 calories if you get the chicken ones and the pork are a little more! but these are AMAZING and they don't look like much but they are filling and on days i'm going to have these for supper i have a light breakfast and lunch!! 610 is not bad cause i eat 1200 a day and this leaves me 590 for the day
countcaloriequeen.blogspot.com

Karen925
03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
I found this thread after posting. I will order the Asiago Steak as is and see if 390 is reasonable. Sodium is high 1520 mg but that is what water is for, IMHO. Steak, potatoes, and veggies, even with the high sodium count, is remarkable for an out to eat.

Diana3271
03-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Yes, the sodium is high, but I am thrilled to have these options available. It's alot better than the normal 1000-1500 calorie options. ;) I wish more restaurants would have lower calorie menu options.

diornotwar
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
i'm going to be trying the asiago steak saturday, hopefully it's good! i'll be drinking a ton of water ..

KylieH
04-17-2010, 10:42 PM
I agree that low cal is definitely an improvement for Applebee's as compared to Red Robin or Chili's; however, Mandymic's right on the sodium. It's off the charts:

Asiago Peppercorn Steak 1520
Spicy Shrimp Diavolo 1910
Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portobellos 1810
Grilled Shrimp & Island Rice 2370
Asian Crunch Salad 3170

The RDA for sodium is 2400 mg, so the key is to make sure that you really restrict sodium the rest of the day (or day or two).

sail7seassoon
04-17-2010, 11:36 PM
I had to post this... sorry.
Applebees.com has nutritional info on their website. Look at the left hand column and scroll down. You should see an Acrobat Reader Icon.

Applebee's Restaurants follow the guidelines set by the state or county they are in. Your State may require that nutritional information be accessible to the public, however, it may be in way of asking your server for the nutritional guide. Some Restaurants also have them in their Drink/Dessert Menu. Some restaurants that don't have it displayed in this form may have one floating around in the office. They are not supposed to leave it out, but, if you ask the count of a particular item those restaurants can look it up for you. We also are told to let you know that the information can be found online if no nutritional guide is at the restaurant.

I have compared some websites that say this is what a product from applebee's contains and find it to be grossly misjudged. More often I found that the ingredients of the meal in a particular nutrition site don't even come close to what the actual ingredients are.

I hope this information helps people understand the issues that restaurants have to deal with when counties and states set the standards. It's intent is not to deceive but to keep people coming in the doors. And that's every fast food and convenient dining establishments across the United States.

Remember that restaurant orders may contain alot of calories, fat, protein, etc. but, they also are almost triple what a normal U.S. Dietary guideline recommends. So, yes, it does contain X amount of whatnot. But it doesn't say it has to be eaten all in one sitting. 4 ounces of meat is recommended and yet people are commenting on a 7 ounce sirloin. This site is so that everyone can be aware of what you are putting in your body. The 550 calorie menu is designed to give a person that feeling of fullness without compromising taste and quality. Applebees is one of the few to recognize different dietary plans and incorporate it into their menu for all to enjoy.

I really hope this information does help... and by the way...the Asiago Peppercorn Steak is AWESOME..... not only because I work there, but it is SOOOOO delish.

AppleBuddy

greenfishgirl
04-18-2010, 01:12 AM
I went there last night and ate onion rings and drank a margarita and a fuzzy navel. I hate to even imagine how many calories I consumed! ooops

lizzybeth81
04-21-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm surprised to see the Asian Crunch Salad is so high. It tasted too healthy to be 490 calories. It must be the dressing/almonds. I loved the chicken/portabello meal. Mine did seem to have a great deal of cheese on top. I'm sure that would add significantly to the calories. I will definitely order it again, especially since it is even lower in calories than the salad. I might tell them to skip the cheese though, just in case :)

Irishowl
06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I had the Asiago steak meal today and it was excellent. The meat was tender, not at all fatty and well seasoned. I substituted fresh fruit for the vegetables and got pineapple, apples and strawberries. It was like getting a little dessert with my steak and potatoes. That serving of potatoes is TINY! But it was filling and delicious!

shannon

eclipse
06-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I had the Asiago Steak there on mother's day and I agree - it was really yummy. I'm not usually much of a steak person, so that's saying a lot.

Karen925
06-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I love it too and this is from a Texan girl living in San Antonio with very good steak houses. It is one of my go to places when I am traveling. And before the salt police show up, salt is third on my list of importance- the first two are calories and filling/fiber, especially when traveling. I always drink water before, during and after the meal.

For example, I recently went to The Barn Door, a landmark, order the tenderloin, sans butter and bacon wrap, medium well. It came out dry and a bit tough. Same doneness at Applebees, moist and delish. I feel like a traitor for saying so.

FoodJunkieRose
11-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Just to let you guys know, I do love Appleby's but you really do have to remind the waiter and tell him to WRITE IT DOWN that you are ordering one of the low-fat/calorie meals, because I've had to send mine back before--why? The steak or fish had butter/oil all over it! My husband just refuses to go back because he hates the trouble of doing this, but it's a good place to eat, so sometimes my daughter and I go. I do have to remind them, though, NOT to put any oil or butter on anything on my plate! I have also found this problem at Ruby Tuesday's, which has a wonderfully tasty, tender lil sirloin served with "grilled" zucchini or broccoli, but has come to the table not only swimming in butter, but once, they even included a sauce cup of melted butter with my grilled shrimp!! I just tell them NO fats! Only lemon juice or beef broth, with plenty of spices--the sirloin at RT is still just perfect! It is worth the effort to nicely tell them what you need; do NOT assume, just because the menu says a plate is "low-calorie, low-fat" or "Weight Watchers" that you are getting just that! Cooks get in a hurry to get that plate out and often just don't care that they are adding calories and fat to the plates of people who are actually coming in their place because they believe there are healthy choices available! I've lost nearly 200 pounds in 16 months so I'm not just "talkin' outta the side of m'mouth' here! :)