Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default What are you doing running in this cold?!?!

I see you runners out there, rain or shine,, snow or ice. Nothing seems to stop you from running in the cold. It's been windy and below 30 degrees in NY for the better part of a month now and I can't motivate myself to go outside to run/walk. In the mornings when I like to go out and exercise it's often 10-20 degrees. How do you do it??

I would appreciate a pep talk, I need to get my butt out there and moving like I always do when it's over 40degrees. How do you go out there with this cold? Any advice on how not to breathe in frigid air or slip on the ice?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #2  
Workin' It

I need the same pep talk. I've not run a day this week even though it is sunny outside. The cold has stopped me every day.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #3  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

It's been in the 30s most mornings this week in Houston. I know that's nothing to people up north who get snow and such, but it's HORRIFYING to me.

I want to keep up with my running though, and 6AM is the only time I know that I can sustain a schedule.

I went ahead and ran 2 miles yesterday morning. I wore full length workout pants (Target - $15 this week), Under-armor Cold Gear long sleeve shirt, windbreaker, fleece ear covering headband, and knit gloves. I made my dog wear her sweater (beagle, she has a very thin coat).

I was warm enough, even approaching too warm as I got into the 2nd mile of my run. The only hard part was that the air was SOOOO cold. Initially I found myself wishing for a mask to warm it up, but again, was used to it by the 2nd mile. I'm going again tomorrow morning, when that Arctic mass is scheduled to hit and temps could be in the 20s. Yikes!

I think what helped me get out there was laying out all my clothes the night before and knowing that I would be warm enough when I walked out the door, even if I knew that it would be overdressed when my body warmed up to the jog. The gloves and ear muff were key!

Last edited by rocketbunny; 01-06-2010 at 12:44 PM.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I have gone out in as low as 32 degrees - I have a pair of running tights that I wear under long nylon running pants, a long sleeve wicking t-shirt, a champion hooded 'scuba' shirt, a cap that goes over my ears and gloves. I have put on a sweatshirt over the long sleeve shirt before, but it seems to hold the moisture. Might need better socks, but I just got new ones so I don't know yet. They have been good so far.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #5  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

How about watching people run in Fairbanks, AK in the winter?

The Running Club North will run at many degrees below zero. I've seen events at -25F.

They have a good website about winter running with stories about people running in the cold.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #6  
Owned by Dixie

I live in Mass and it is colder than NY. I dress for the weather and put on my ice cleats on my waterproof hiking boots and hit the trail! you warm up once you are moving, the sun and air feel great and we live in states with winter 30 is really not that bad. I do draw the line at 0...

so put on the coat and gloves and head out the door, you WILL feel better!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

I want to give it a try for sure. It's above 30 today!

http://www.runnersrescue.com/Cold_We...nning_Tips.htm
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #8  

For me, there is just one word for running when the weather is like this: TREADMILL! But I salute the rest of you for your grit!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Personally this is my favourite time of the year to run . I really, really dislike summer running, this is why I usually switch to biking in the summer.

For example the other morning my client and I ran in -16c/-4f, but it was perfect conditions, no wind, bright and sunny... My client couldn't believe how much she enjoyed it and actually said that when she saw people run in this type of weather she thought they were nuts , but now she totally understands. We also ran in -6c/21f with a slight wind, it felt much colder to start, but after 10 mins or so, we were sweating.

Cold weather takes time to get used to, and you have to experiment with clothing and such but it's a lot of fun.

On days I don't feel like it I just get dressed and say I will run for 15 mins around the neighbourhood, after 15 mins I'm usually warmed up and want to continue...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Another southern girl here so it doesn't get as cold for me (but it gets pretty darn cold). Sunday was my first cold run (30 F) and I had no intentions of runnng outside that day. But I found myself unable to get into any of the THREE fitness centers I have access to (one changed locks, another closed, another just cardio center closed). So I was forced to run outside, I was underdressed and it was way rough. Before my next run I went and got myself some gloves and ear warmers, ran outside on Tues in 36 F, I even got a little warm at the end. Running again today, and need to go soon as it's suppoed to snow later! ugh
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote