Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default update and diet questions

Did myself good today and met briefly with the diabetes counsellor at my local hospital and made my appointment for next week for a full session. Felt really good about taking that step. Am going to be testing and logging carefully in the week leading up to our appointment.
I have been reading the book, Diabetes for (Canadian) dummies, and have been getting onto good ideas. However, reading the diet section, I am concerned about the recommendations, but in looking at other websites, and other literature it seems consistent. I am concerned about the recommendations for carb/protein/fat ratios. (50/30/20). This comes to 150-180 g carbs/day) Since carb metabolism is the problem of diabetes, I just cant get my head round this.
Also, the folks I know who are diabetics all have told me that they can't control their sugars well on this diet. THose who have good sugar control have all gone to lower carb, and lower glycemic carb diets. (not all atkins, but far lower carbs than this)
I fact, a couple of people I know recently entered a study and started eating a carefully controlled diet in the study, according to the same dietary recommendations, and have been hospitalized for high blood sugars as a result.
SO, I want very much to work on this, but I am confused by the difference between these recommendations and the experiences of others. I have lowered my own sugars by dramatically reducing carbs, but am concerned that I may not be able to sustain this.
thanks
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, I have never agreed with the CDA recommendation and eating about 33/33/33 has really knocked down my HA1C readings. My good friend, Dr. Robert Dent at the Ottawa Hospital, agrees with me, not the CDA. He's an endocrinologist and knows his stuff.

IMO just keep on keeping on.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, I found the same thing; I think the carb amount is too high also and many diabetics are having trouble becuz of it, IMO. Right from the start, I cut mine almost in half; and changed the kind of carbs I do eat. I eat some whole grains and fruit each day; but eat more salad and veggies with some lean meat.

I also agree with RUTH -- her ratio sounds good. I lowered my 'simple' carbs (anything refined and white) and fat, but upped my 'complex' carbs like veggies and lean meat. I don't have it down to a science yet, but that's the main idea.

I am not strict like the Atkins, but am eating what I call "Lower Carb, Low Fat, low sugar (almost none), and higher protein plan based on weighed and measured portions and calories for the day. I'm getting better as I go along.

I also find tracking my calories for the day to be very useful; many people said so, but until you try it, you don't realize how helpful it is. It helps me keep OP (on plan) and not eat too much. When I don't journal or track my food, I slip into mindless munching, and eat too much.

Go with your heart, your knowledge, and research; do what you know works best for you ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-12-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote