Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What is Hummus?!

View Full Version : What is Hummus?!

DivineFidelity
01-06-2010, 12:35 AM
I know, silly question...and I've been on this forum long enough that I should have asked by now..but everyone is always talking about it and saying it's healthy and yummy..and I have NO EARTHLY IDEA what it is...

And how do you eat it?...like by itself? or on something?...

Can you find it in any grocery store?

lol. I need some new food to eat, the stuff I've been sticking too, I'm really getting sick of.

Thanks guys :dizzy:

CLCSC145
01-06-2010, 12:41 AM
It's delicious!

It's a dip made of ground garbanzo beans, tahini paste (made from sesame seed), olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Boy, that description sounds gross, but really it's quite good. Sometimes I use it instead of mayo on a sandwich (great with roasted veggies), other times I eat it on pita wedges. Yummy.

junebug41
01-06-2010, 01:08 AM
I eat it almost every day! I have it with sliced red peppers. Sometimes other veggies, too. A lot of folks use it as a spread on pita bread.

You can find it in the grocery store (in and around the deli, I think). It always tastes best fresh to me. It's fairly simple to make if you have a food processor.
Here's the nutritional data: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4403/2

mandalinn82
01-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Answer - tasty!

I put it in tuna salad instead of mayo if I have it on-hand. I eat it with veggies, spread it on wraps and sandwiches...it's a great spread!

Suzanne 3FC
01-06-2010, 01:57 AM
I love it! But I'm picky and make my own. I can't stand even a little bit of fluffiness and prefer a firmer spread than most commercial hummus. I also add roasted red bell pepper to the mixture :T

ennay
01-06-2010, 02:06 AM
yummy! It was the first protein my daughter would willingly eat. It still is one of the health foods she likes best....shhhhhh dont tell her it is good for her.

helwa588
01-06-2010, 02:37 AM
addicted hummus which why i rarely buy it now. because once i start eating it i cannot stop. i usually have mine with pita bread or cucumbers.

hummus is loaded with calories so just once your portion when you eat it.

you can actually make your own hummus at home. just Google a recipe for hummus

mandalinn82
01-06-2010, 02:54 AM
I would say hummus is moderate-calorie, for a dip. A traditional hummus has around 60-80 calories per 2 tbsp, which is around a third of what you'd find in peanut butter or other nut butters. It also has a considerable amount of healthy fat.

If you're concerned about the calories, you can make your own with way less olive oil than most commercial processor uses...whir up some garbanzos, a little tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and a little chicken broth to thin it out.

luvchuchu
01-06-2010, 03:31 AM
I always thought it was made with chick peas. I guess there are other ways to make it. Anyways it IS mmm mmm good! I usually eat it with some celery or I mix it with some boneless skinless chicken breast and corn. Its a weird combo but tasty!

mandalinn82
01-06-2010, 03:36 AM
Chick pea is another name for garbanzo...same bean, two names!

Rashomon
01-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Mediterranean deliciousness. Goes well with whole-wheat pita bread and vegetables. Have some tzatziki dip alongside and you've got yourself a nice snack. :)

luvchuchu
01-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Chick pea is another name for garbanzo...same bean, two names!

Wow I never knew that! Now I feel a lil bit more smart! Lol.

sidrah
01-06-2010, 04:23 AM
Hummus is...............awesome, especially roasted red pepper hummus

VernDern
01-06-2010, 04:38 AM
OMG I love it....my mouth is watering!

My only problem with it is that I can eat the WHOLE container in one sitting! haha Its hard to stop....its like the healthy version of potato chips. haha

jkinboston89
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
If you're a calorie counter, in the brand I buy, it's called good neighbor, 2 tablespoons are 50 calories :) i looove it

mayness
01-06-2010, 10:52 AM
I just want to throw in here that even if you don't normally like chick peas, you might like hummus. My husband and I both aren't really fans of chick peas but he likes hummus and I LOOOOVE hummus. :D

shortandfluffy
01-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I have tried it before and it was great! Now I want some!

JulieJ08
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I always thought it was made with chick peas. I guess there are other ways to make it.

I don't know how much they should really be called "hummus" but there are variations out there using most every bean, oil, seed butter and other flavorings you can imagine!

TXJess
01-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Another really good Mediterranean dip is Baba Gannouj made with roasted eggplants.

Calories are pretty low depending on the recipe. I've seen some that use olive oil and some that don't but the Med. restaurant that I frequent does use olive oil. (There's always a layer on top that needs to be mixed up.)

If you like hummus and other similiar dips and haven't tried Baba Gannouj I'd recommend it.

kaplods
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I love bean pastes (and eggplant and other veggie pastes too).

I make dozens of varieties of bean pastes, just by switching up the type of bean and the other seasonings in the paste.

One of my favorite last-minute-recipes for unexpected guests or last-minute potluck invites is a "barbecued bean dip").

I take a can of any baked beans (or even pork n' beans, but I remove the fat cube), add a tablespoon or two of barbecue sauce and puree in a food processor. If I buy barbecue flavored beans, the barbecue sauce isn't even necessary.

If I feel like getting fancy, I'll add a chunk of (one or more of the following) onion, celery, garlic clove, bell pepper, jalapeno.... into the food processor (no need to dice or chop first, because the food processor does all the work).

Drained, white beans and a couple tablespoons of italian or ranch dressing make a really good (and really fast) mix too.

I use the bean pastes as veggie dips, omelette and sandwhich fillings.

ibcnuldu
01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I love hummus. I usually stick to dipping vegetables in it since it is a bit of calories. But seriously, good stuff! It's even better homemade if you can get all of the ingredients :D

marigrace
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Only 25 calories per tbsp :

1 C unprepared beans (soak & boil till soft in lots of salted water...drain and put in food processor.
Add: 1 big clove of garlic
juice of 1 lemon
a touch of cumin (optional)
two tbsp tahini
Pulse like crazy till creamy, and refrigerate.
Use as a spread or dip. You can add a few olives, nuts or roasted peppers before serving

nelie
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
I think it tastes a lot better when you make your own but I admit I'm lazy sometimes and buy it. When I make my own, I usually omit the olive oil but keep the tahini. I love lots of garlic in mine too!!