100 lb. Club - My family has lost 50 pounds!!

View Full Version : My family has lost 50 pounds!!

Eliana
01-05-2010, 06:25 PM
I just added up our combined weight loss and as a family, we've lost 50 lbs!
I'm really proud of that.

I started on Nov. 9 and hubby jumped aboard about a month ago. Our son is along for the ride. ;) He's nine years old and he's upset about his weight, so we talk about it. We've told him his goal is to maintain while he grows, but he's excited when he sees he's lost weight. Just by eating what I've been cooking, eating only at the kitchen table and eating preplanned snacks, he's shedding a bit of weight.

Me: 27
DH: 16
son: 7
Total: FIFTY pounds of fat!

Tai
01-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Congratulations Eliana! What a wonderful thing you are doing for your family's health!

kuhrisuh
01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Congratulations! I love that you're all doing this together... woot! :carrot:

bluebutterfly
01-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Your son is lucky to have a Mom he can talk to, and who leads by example.

Beverlyjoy
01-05-2010, 07:27 PM
That is a wonderful accomplishment!

beerab
01-05-2010, 07:27 PM
That's wonderful :)

CLCSC145
01-05-2010, 07:33 PM
That's so great!! I'm especially happy for your son. I wish I had gotten my weight under control young...

Eliana
01-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Your son is lucky to have a Mom he can talk to, and who leads by example.

That's so great!! I'm especially happy for your son. I wish I had gotten my weight under control young...

His weight has bothered me for some time now, but it's such a balancing act with kids. And I can't possibly tell him he has poor eating habits when he is just overweight and his mom is obese! So for my whole family, it needed to start with me. Doesn't that suck? LOL! He's very inactive despite all our best efforts and he will eat anything with carbs! Even when there are no cookies or chips or snacks of any kind in the house, he loves peanut butter bread and helps himself. So we had to finally bite the bullet and have the tough conversation. He would be mortified if he knew I wrote about it here. But he's so proud of himself when he weighs in. He comes and whispers in my ear.

Gracie789
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Awwww, that's awesome!!!!! You're setting such a great example for your son, and it's fantastic that he's learning about living healthy at such a young age (I wish my mom did that, lol). Keep up the great work!!!!!!!! :)

Eliana
01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
That's very nice to hear because I'm so afraid of scarring him for life!! It's such a balancing act. I try to read his cues. I still remember my mom telling me at that age that I didn't need to have dessert every night.

CLCSC145
01-05-2010, 08:42 PM
It is a balancing act!

My parents were hyper-sensitive to the notion that I may get fat one day (I was a string bean until puberty). I know they were trying to protect me, but it backfired in a big way. There was never any junk food in the house, no sugary cereals, no snacking allowed unless it was fruit (which I resented and would not eat) and LOTS of discussion about what I should and should not be eating.

When my lunch was packed it was always a turkey sandwich on wheat bread (and wheat bread earned it's bad rap when I was a kid - dry, hard, and tasteless) with only mustard and a piece of fruit. I was surrounded by kids with Twinkies, Ding Dongs, chips, cookies, candy, regular sodas, etc. I felt different and like I was being punished. I started hiding food in my room and eating in secret when I was 7. I'd go to friends houses and go crazy with eating junk because it was so foreign and magical to me. The need to eat fast to get rid of the evidence followed. I grew into a secret binge eater.

I think if I ever have kids, I will do what you are doing. Not draw attention to it, not go overboard and talk about the need to not get fat all the time, just lead by example. And I wouldn't make certain foods off-limits, but find a way to enjoy them in moderation. The lure of forbidden junk is so strong.

cfmama
01-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh that is so awesome!!!!

lovemyboy
01-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow! Go team!

JustBeckyV
01-05-2010, 09:47 PM
WTG - great you have the whole family involved! I would love to find a way to motivate my son.

traci in training
01-06-2010, 12:28 AM
That is awesome! What a gift to give your son - get healthy young and stay that way.

Have you tried the Wii? I know lots of kids who aren't into sports absolutely love playing the Wii version of the sports they don't like. And you can really get a workout numbchucking bunnies in the head!

HotWings
01-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Eliana, that is SO fantastic! In my family it is only me and my son that need to lose weight. My son is 8 and weighs 101. He feels the same as your son and we talk about it and have made great strides in maintaining him - he has maintained for about a year now. It is tough right now, though. It is bitterly cold here this winter and there isn't much going outside to play. He loves his video games and reads A LOT. I fear he has a lot of my mentality where food is concerned. Mainly that he feels like he is still "hungry" if he is not stuffed! Case in point: The other night he said he was still hungry after eating a turkey hot dog/bun topped with reduced fat cheese & Sun Chips. We went around and around about feeling stuffed means you are eating TOO much. A light satisfied feeling is what you need. He was bullheaded (just like I was as a kid!) and insisted that he was still hungry. He wanted his way and wasn't going to give up. I told him he could have a clementine orange or apple, but what he wanted was another hot dog.

I have such a tough time with him right now regarding food. I told him if he wants seconds or treats during the day, all he needs to do is get in at least 45 minutes of some kind of exercise - like Wii Sports Resort or something. We also have Wii Fit and Wii Active that he likes. Or go out and play in the snow.. or something! I see myself in him so much with regards to food when I was younger. I so do not want him to go down the same road. He hates veggies and loves carbs.. just like I did. I really don't want him starting to sneak food or anything either. I just don't know - this weight thing is so mental. Any advice for me on how you are achieving the goals with your son would be appreciated! :yes:

170starting
01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
How wonderful!! Such a great Wifey and Mommy! :hug:

Eliana
01-06-2010, 09:09 AM
HotWings, I'm not convinced I'm doing anything so great. I struggle with the very same things. My son can put away eight apples before I know he's done so! Apples are healthy, so how do you explain that? So we had a conversation about calories and how many he should eat in a day. He likes numbers so hopefully he was into that. We made a list of everything he'd eaten that day and assigned the appropriate calories. That's honestly what motivated him most, but you have to read their signals, you know? If he seemed stressed or embarrassed I'd have quit. Thankfully he appeared eager.

I don't know. I was always so careful with the children and we started them off with great eating habits. Neither of them had any pop until just last year and we don't drink juice. It's just milk or water at our house. Snack foods are a minimum. We rarely have chips and never have twinkies or the like. But if a child is hungry or feeling snacky, they'll find a way to eat something. He will eat the strangest things. When that happens, I feel like a conversation has to be had. One night he even told me I should lock the pantry from him! How sad is that? :( It's so hard to see your child go through the same thing you did. And then I recall the same feelings I had when my parents juggled the same problem with me.

Judy Lynn
01-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Congrats to all of you. That is so great that you are doing it as a family.

chewysmom
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
That's very nice to hear because I'm so afraid of scarring him for life!! It's such a balancing act. I try to read his cues. I still remember my mom telling me at that age that I didn't need to have dessert every night.

ITU! I'm going through the exact same thing w/ my dd who is also 9. I'm trying so hard to not make a big deal out of it, b/c that's about the age I was at when my mom nagged and shamed me about my weight. I just don't know how to go about it, but I'm treating her/talking to her about it like I'd want someone to do to me. My MIL, on the other hand is clueless, and I think it's eventually going to ruin their relationship.

Anyway, you guys are doing an AWESOME job as a family!!! :carrot:

Eliana
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
My MIL, on the other hand is clueless, and I think it's eventually going to ruin their relationship.

Clueless as in doesn't see a problem or as in says mean and hurtful things? My MIL's house is a source of contention with us. The kids are there more than I'd like, but I have to keep the family peace. She has a snack drawer full of absolute crap: Halloween candy (yes, in January), cheez-its, chips, twinkies, hostess cupcakes. Then there's the "healthy" stuff. You know...jello with fruit, fruit snacks, fruit juice, chocolate milk. LOL! (Please read the sarcasm) A healthy lunch is grilled cheese and french fries, with broccoli of course. Now mind you, they don't have to eat the broccoli. :dizzy: But it's there, so it's healthy. The last time they were there for lunch my son actually informed his grandmother of how many calories were in different items and he made choices accordingly!! Yeah!

eapleasant
01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
WOW! Congrats

ubergirl
01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
It is a balancing act!

My parents were hyper-sensitive to the notion that I may get fat one day (I was a string bean until puberty). I know they were trying to protect me, but it backfired in a big way. There was never any junk food in the house, no sugary cereals, no snacking allowed unless it was fruit (which I resented and would not eat) and LOTS of discussion about what I should and should not be eating.

When my lunch was packed it was always a turkey sandwich on wheat bread (and wheat bread earned it's bad rap when I was a kid - dry, hard, and tasteless) with only mustard and a piece of fruit. I was surrounded by kids with Twinkies, Ding Dongs, chips, cookies, candy, regular sodas, etc. I felt different and like I was being punished. I started hiding food in my room and eating in secret when I was 7. I'd go to friends houses and go crazy with eating junk because it was so foreign and magical to me. The need to eat fast to get rid of the evidence followed. I grew into a secret binge eater.

I think if I ever have kids, I will do what you are doing. Not draw attention to it, not go overboard and talk about the need to not get fat all the time, just lead by example. And I wouldn't make certain foods off-limits, but find a way to enjoy them in moderation. The lure of forbidden junk is so strong.

CC I think you grew up in my house!! That's exactly how it was for me.

Eliana, I applaud you! I have really struggled to find the right balance in my own house. I vowed not to become THE FOOD POLICE to my kids, the way my parents were to me... but one of my daughters has bad habits, stopped playing sports and started putting on weight. She's fifteen, such a sensitive age, so it's hard to know the best way to handle it.

I think your rules are really sensible!!!

Sandi
01-06-2010, 11:16 AM
That is such an awesome accomplishment!!!

I am in the same boat with my 9 year old. He gets done with breakfast and wants a piece of candy! He weighs himself and sees me diet, but I just am not sure how to cut back for him. For a long time his lunch was a sandwich and fruit. But I found him buying bags of chips and ice cream at school. He didn't like being the only one with no treats. So I decided that I would rather be in control, so his snack is 3 oreo cookies and a 1 oz. bag of chips with his sandwich. It's not what I'd like him to have, but it's small portions.

Trazey34
01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
that is awesome! you & your hubby losing weight is terrifice, but what you're doing for your son is life-altering. You're giving him the tools NOW to live his life without the stress, heartache and health problems associated with being fat. People who do such amazing things for their kids gets me all teary eyed!!!! HUGE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eliana
01-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Sandi, I read somewhere that children need about 1800 calories a day, so I don't think a controlled portion of chips and cookies is out of the ballpark. In fact, like CLC said, you don't want to make foods forbidden. That sets them up for bad habits later. I know I rebelled as soon as I was out of the house, buying all the treats my mom never bought.

I'm trying to get my kids on a six meal schedule like I am, which is hard with school. But we started having "tea time" which is fun. I have green tea and a snack, usually apple slices when they get home from school and they have hot chocolate and apple slices. Yes, hot chocolate is bad, but when we don't do this ritual, they eat weird junk or too much of the healthy stuff. The hot chocolate fills them up and the apples are nutritious and they feel like they're getting a treat. I figure they also see me drinking the green tea and maybe one day they'll like green tea.

Eliana
01-06-2010, 11:28 AM
that is awesome! you & your hubby losing weight is terrifice, but what you're doing for your son is life-altering. You're giving him the tools NOW to live his life without the stress, heartache and health problems associated with being fat. People who do such amazing things for their kids gets me all teary eyed!!!! HUGE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awe! Gosh, thanks! I hope your words are true!

Trazey34
01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
oh and P.S. it's not always true that having snacks around takes away the deisre for them LOL we always had chips and treats (mom wasn't too keen on us having sodas tho) and as long as we'd eaten a good dinner and enough fruit and veg, we were allowed some treats. I STILL WENT CRAZY when I lived on my own LOL so it's not always so black&white

lostnfound
01-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Congrats!!!!

SnowboundChick
01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
That's so great!