100 lb. Club - New Biggest Loser - Starts Tonight!

Sandi
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I know some people don't like it because it's not realistic, and I agree it's not. But I love watching it just to see people completely out of shape and overweight end up fit and thin. It reminds me that it can be done!!!!

Violet73
01-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Oh I love the show! I love to see the transformations...because no matter what is hyped up for TV...they did lose the weight! I cant wait! :)

Mikayla
01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I really think the point of BL is to show it can be done. If a 400 lb person can learn to run in 6 weeks, I should be able to pull it off in a year...right? I think so many people, just think they can't do it, it's just not possible *for them*. I think the Biggest Loser shows that it is possible. And that's why I will be watching tonight!

kuhrisuh
01-05-2010, 05:11 PM
love l0Ve LOVE the show :) can't wait!

CLCSC145
01-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I love the show! I fast-forward through all the crying, but I like first episode where we hear all their stories and I like some of the workout stuff and of course the weigh-ins. That leaves about 40 minutes out of 2 hours...

HadEnough
01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I am so there tonight! I haven't watched it for a couple years, due to the fact that I was in denial about my weight (again). But, no more! I will be there tonight with bells on!!

tbmmom
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I love the show...the crying, the blubbering, the shouting, the transformations. It's all inspiring, even if it's not practical for the world outside of the production. It shows that peoples' lives can be transformed if they choose. I won't be able to see it tonight because I'll be at my daughter's basketball game, but I'm DVR'ing it.

Summer2010
01-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I'll be watching tonite :)

Trazey34
01-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I downloaded all the finales and watched them - it's funny how much the show's changed over the years. The 1st & 2nd seasons, the finale part was only 1/2 hour LOL and the contestants lost a lot but were still a bit thick, not rail thin like now. Interesting to see the progression!

I agree about the fast-forward thru the wailing and crying. JUST ONCE I'd like to see someone on there say "you know what?? I'm lazy and spoiled as F**K and that's how i got this way, no one abused me, no alcoholics, no bad marriage, just plain lazy!" LOL

Mikayla
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I downloaded all the finales and watched them - it's funny how much the show's changed over the years. The 1st & 2nd seasons, the finale part was only 1/2 hour LOL and the contestants lost a lot but were still a bit thick, not rail thin like now. Interesting to see the progression!

I agree about the fast-forward thru the wailing and crying. JUST ONCE I'd like to see someone on there say "you know what?? I'm lazy and spoiled as F**K and that's how i got this way, no one abused me, no alcoholics, no bad marriage, just plain lazy!" LOL

You know I was watching season 2 the other day and most of the contestants at the end were thicker than they are now. Make me wonder what they are doing now that they were not doing in the earlier seasons.

Judy Lynn
01-05-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm looking forward to it too!

purplecrush
01-05-2010, 07:52 PM
I cant wait!! My fiance and I have made plans tonight to watch it!! We get so much motivation from that show. I would love to lose that fast!! Its easy to watch that show, when they are running on the beach or uphills and they are completely out of breath and you think...Just RUN!! It cant be "too" hard..right? Ya right!! I went on a hike Sunday to Multnomah falls and hiked a mile UP...and I was weezing , out of breathe, the whole nine yards!! The whole time I was doing it, I thought about those contestants that do that...I will NEVER think its easy again!!!

Eliana
01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
I am so there tonight! I haven't watched it for a couple years, due to the fact that I was in denial about my weight (again). But, no more! I will be there tonight with bells on!!

I think this true of a lot of people! (Me included) I wonder how many people who need to lose the weight turn blinders on to the show because they just aren't ready yet.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to it! My poor husband is giving up watching NCIS tonight so I can watch BL. Of course we'll DVR NCIS. I just hope the shows 24 and American Idol don't end up interfering with BL because we can only DVR two shows.

Violet73
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Eliana...I do believe BL and Idol are on the same nights and times....but every year I watch BL! Granted..I usually eat a plate of food while watching! lol ! This year is different.....and I'm excited!

time2lose
01-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I enjoy the show but have to remind myself that it is OK that I am losing slower than they do. In past seasons they always had someone whose starting weight was the same weight that I was at the time. I am hoping that this season, I am now smaller than any of their starting weight.

Smiling_Sara
01-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Can't wait for it to start!

JustBeckyV
01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I love the determination of those that are on it! they really do motivate me to keep going! I am actually recording though because the Iowa Hawkeyes are playing in the Orange bowl right now lol

thistoo
01-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Oh, I love how excited and hopeful they all are in the beginning. I remember that feeling, you know, when you lose those first few pounds and think to yourself, 'Wow, I really *can* do this!'

I always lose interest halfway through when the games start, but the beginning is very inspirational (once they get past the crying.)

Ophelia31
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
A new season starts tonight?
I've never really watched it but I will this time. Looks like it would be a great motivator!

girlonfire
01-06-2010, 12:47 AM
purplecrush, I am in Oregon also and I LOVE Multnomah Falls! It is just gorgeous there.

complete sidebar, I know.

Eliana
01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
I wish knew the heights of some of these women. Some were right around my start weight and I can't help but make comparisons.

I hated that the twins had to be separated! And I can't believe James lost 100 lbs in two months!

BethC
01-06-2010, 09:25 AM
I love the show too! I was also upset that the twins had to be separated, but thrilled to see how James is doing!

I also look at some of the women in the low 200's and think they're the same size as I am? One women, I can't remember which team, went from above my weight to well below it in 1 week! I was in shock!!

ubergirl
01-06-2010, 10:20 AM
I've never watched it before, but I watched last night while doing my treadmill routine. I'll admit I felt kinda smug. It was great!

But, it did frustrate me to see those kinds of losses IN ONE WEEK!

Gosh. Even my first week I didn't lose that much. Also, I really wonder about those workouts.... I didn't think you could take a completely out of shape person and just starting slamming them like that. Is that realistic at all?

time2lose
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
I also look at some of the women in the low 200's and think they're the same size as I am? One women, I can't remember which team, went from above my weight to well below it in 1 week! I was in shock!!

Me too!! I was relieved to see that I was below all of the contestants starting weight but then in 2 hours, she weighed less than me! Well, maybe next season it will take a couple of weeks for them to catch up with me. :)

Eliana
01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I was probably being too sensitive, but so many of the women were close to my starting weight and they kept harping on how these are the largest group of contenders they'd ever had. :( Just the fact that I could have been a contestant is a hard pill to swallow.

Mikayla
01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Gosh. Even my first week I didn't lose that much. Also, I really wonder about those workouts.... I didn't think you could take a completely out of shape person and just starting slamming them like that. Is that realistic at all?

That's the premise of the show..."what if you take very overweight and out of shape people and start training them at athlete levels?" It's not realistic for the average joe at all, but it does show that losing weight can be done.

It is irritating to see some women lose 21 pounds in a week, makes me start wondering if I could fit 30 hours of gym time into my week, cause being in the 160's by next week would be pretty sweet:) Then I remember that I REALLY don't want to work out for 30 hours a week:dizzy: *sigh*

catowned
01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
I've never seen the show, how do they lose weight so quickly? :?:

Eliana
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
I've never seen the show, how do they lose weight so quickly? :?:

It's not something to strive for. They have a hard time keeping it off. But they do it by eating very low calories and exercising hard with the very best personal trainers. They lose with sweat and tears.

Trazey34
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I was HORRIFIED at the public humiliation of weighing them in from of a crowd, wow! Seeing people break down and cry with embarassment was NOT my idea of supportive.

Eliana
01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I know. What was the point other than to humiliate? Like they didn't already know they were fat? Like fat people don't feel humiliated every time we step outside of the house...CLOTHED?

ubergirl
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Well, I kind of disagree about the public weigh in.

I have been ashamed of my weight for years, but because of my work as a health care provider, I've been able to peek at the weight of others for a long time.

With such a high rate of obesity in our country, I think it would help destigmatize weight if we talked about it publicly more often.

People are so ashamed of their weight that they often avoid going to the doctor, even though people who suffer from obesity usually need the health care more.

The more times people get used to seeing weight discussed publicly, the more chance we have as a society to start dealing with this *massive* problem.

Oh, and one more thing. I remember when my daughter told me last year that the people on The Biggest Loser really weren't that big because "they really weren't any bigger than you are, mommy..." I felt horrible, but she was just so used to seeing me that size that it seemed normal to her. Recently she saw a picture of me when I was around 280 or so, and she said "That doesn't even look like you. I don't think you ever looked like that."

Eliana
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Well, I can't argue with that...though I want to! LOL! But I am one of those who do not visit the doctor. This thinking is wrong, but I feel like if I have health issues it is my fault. If it's my own fault, why bother a doctor with it?

purplecrush
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
purplecrush, I am in Oregon also and I LOVE Multnomah Falls! It is just gorgeous there.

complete sidebar, I know.

We love going up to Multnomah falls..its sooo beautiful and steep!!! Its totally worth it to go up to the top! There are a bunch of waterfalls up there! All beautiful!

I was sad about the twins being seperated, but honestly, I didnt want anyone else to leave. My heart goes out to all of them..especially the young ones. I was sad about Sunshine leaving, hopefully she can do it at home and come back a winner!

CLCSC145
01-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I was HORRIFIED at the public humiliation of weighing them in from of a crowd, wow! Seeing people break down and cry with embarassment was NOT my idea of supportive.

I was cringing at the public weigh ins because you would need to hold a gun to my head to get me to bare my gut in front of millions of people, but what peeved me was when the largest guy was walking to get weighed, they shook the camera and played subtle feet-crushing-concrete noises like he was Godzilla or something. How about letting the guy preserve a bit of dignity?

Am I the only one that thought James looked a little sick after losing 100 pounds in 2 months?

Judy Lynn
01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I also did not agree with the public humiliation of the inital weigh in. I don't think I could do it.

At least no-one landed in the hospital after the first challenge this time.

SnowboundChick
01-06-2010, 02:01 PM
but what peeved me was when the largest guy was walking to get weighed, they shook the camera and played subtle feet-crushing-concrete noises like he was Godzilla or something. How about letting the guy preserve a bit of dignity?

I noticed this as well and was mortified that they would do that!

killingjanni
01-06-2010, 02:20 PM
I wish knew the heights of some of these women. Some were right around my start weight and I can't help but make comparisons.

If you check out The Biggest Loser website (http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/contestants/), their heights are listed on their profiles!

Trazey34
01-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I also agree that weight is a huge stigma in society, so a show like TBL helps with that, shows that big people can exercise too and that at lease they're doing something about their weight. But very single one of the people in the 'audience' watching their friend or co-worker weigh in would have WATCHED THE SHOW ON TV and seen that their friend weighed 350 pounds, again on tv, when the work was underway and spared that person that embarassment

Eliana
01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
I also agree that weight is a huge stigma in society, so a show like TBL helps with that, shows that big people can exercise too and that at lease they're doing something about their weight. But very single one of the people in the 'audience' watching their friend or co-worker weigh in would have WATCHED THE SHOW ON TV and seen that their friend weighed 350 pounds, again on tv, when the work was underway and spared that person that embarassment

Yeah, it was kind of like watching a hanging, wasn't it? You're right. We'd have all become just as much more aware the old way on TV. It was on TV either way.