Exercise! - eating before working out?

View Full Version : eating before working out?

anna1184
01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
i've had problems with this issue. it seems like sometimes when i eat before working out i can work out harder and longer. sometimes it's the opposite.

what do you guys do? what kind of snacks do you eat before that help you go that extra mile?

what about binging after exercising? i have this problem and it's like all that work i did just goes down the drain.

similar experiences?

Mel
01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I time my meals around my workouts, and the food really depends on what type of workout I'm doing. I do cardio on a empty stomach, first thing in the morning...really early. Then I eat breakfast and go to work. While at work, I have a mid-morning snack (usually 1/2 cup yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup cottage cheese), lunch (some sort of lean protein on a LOT of salad and vegies, and mid afternoon snack (apple and cheese stick), then at 5 pm I have 1/2 a banana and head for CrossFit, which is an intense strength and endurance workout. Then home for dinner. Because I eat REAL planned meals pretty much right after each workout, I feel no need to binge.

When I was lifting over my lunch break, I'd have my mid-morning snack slightly later (about an hour before I went to the gym) then have my lunch as soon as I got back to the office.

Plan, plan, plan...that way you don't undo all the work you do :)

Mel

ennay
01-04-2010, 11:50 PM
If I run at 5 am I dont eat. If I miss the early morning I cant run until 8:45 and so I either eat breakfast around 7 (normal breakfast - scrambled eggs and veggies) or if I am eating immediately before a run or weights session I have peanut butter ezekiel toast in lieu of my breakfast. Most of my running sessions are moderate intensity and I have been doing this awhile so I can tolerate more food than I used to . (I have successfully gotten to the end of the day without running and immediately after a full dinner of pizza and wine said "dangit I want to run" and done so without puking - but that is only from years of running in all conditions)

If I am doing a HIIT session, intervals, or a race I eat the pb toast about 2 hours before and go in empty - gu for a race (carb gel).

It is easier for me to run empty than lift weights empty.

as to the post workout binging, that happens if I DONT eat fairly promptly after a workout. The body needs fuel to rebuild the muscle so give it what it needs and it will be more easily satisfied.

starmac13
01-05-2010, 01:00 AM
I think its all been said. In the morning if I am doing only cardio, I dont eat anything. The body will take fat and convert it into fuel. If you must have something, stick with a small piece of fruit, a small container of low fat yogurt, or a few nuts. That is actually what I will have if I am doing strength training/ circuit training at the gym. I'll have some celery and a little bit of hummus if I workout in the afternoon regardless of what I am doing.

As for binging after the gym, here is a trick I learned. When you are working out, walk by a mirror (esp if doing strength training) or simply look down. Compliment one part of your body that you feel worked really hard that day. give it a flex if you feel so inclined. Then in the car, always have sugar free chewing gum. That way you can concentrate on eating things that are good for the body part you just complimented without worrying about putting something in your mouth 5 seconds after you get home. And dont forget the H2O

Hope that helps.

anna1184
01-05-2010, 02:30 AM
you guys are so sweet. thanks for all the advice :) :)