100 lb. Club - Can we talk about plateaus?

View Full Version : Can we talk about plateaus?

thistoo
01-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Ugh, you guys, this is not the way I hoped to start the new year. I am, as you know if you've seen any of my recent comments, rocking a plateau that's going on three months now. I've done a lot of things to try to shake it up, but my body is being just as stubborn as it can be, and no matter what I try, the scale keeps sticking firmly at 155. Except when it bounces up to 157, of course. Every once in a blue moon it'll go all the way down to 152 for a day, just to mess with my head, but then the next day I'm right back up to 155.

I don't post a lot, so maybe you don't know that this happens to me every 30 pounds or so. The first plateau lasted a year. A full year. I finally gave up a decade of vegetarianism to get the scale to budge.

This time I've upped my exercise so much that I am literally burning about 1000 calories a day just from workouts, according to my heart rate monitor. I've been lifting fairly heavily, which probably accounts for some water retention/muscle gain, but not this horrendous plateau. Upping my cardio more hasn't done the trick either.

So I'm terrified to do it, but I'm upping my calories from ~1500 a day to ~1800. It's scary! Dropping them to 1300 hasn't worked, though, and if I do go that low I just feel terrible all the time because I don't have enough fuel to keep up with my vigorous workouts. (Currently I'm doing P90X and Insanity simultaneously. It is no joke, let me tell you.)

Anyway, the scale went up two pounds this morning and my immediate reaction was 'OMG must reduce calories!' But I'm going to give it a week, maybe stay off the scale for awhile, and see if upping my calories makes any difference at all. If my weight continues going up, well, I'll reassess. I don't want to see 160 again, I really don't. But I don't know what else to do.

My point? I don't really have one. I just wanted to gnash my teeth for awhile over how hard I'm working and how stubborn my body is being. I'm in the best physical condition of my life to date, yet I am carrying around 40 extra pounds of fat that refuses to budge. My before and after pictures after 30 days of doing this weight training program show no real difference. I'm trying not to get discouraged, but it's hard.

So if you're stuck too, come tell me about it. It'll be like a mini support group. Something has to give eventually, that's what I keep telling myself. I'm just hoping it doesn't take a whole year this time.

CLCSC145
01-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I'd be terrified too, but if it could be the answer it's absolutely worth a shot. I just want to say how much I admire you, Caroline. Most people would throw in the towel, but you keep going - working out, eating right. That's commitment! I think you're awesome.

ubergirl
01-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Well, I'm stuck too!!!

I'm wondering with you if you may not be converting fat to muscle if you are working out that much.

Do you use a body fat % scale or do you have access to body fat testing (with calipers?)

I get that the scale isn't going down, but you yourself say that you're in the best shape of your life....so maybe some of that is fat to muscle conversion?

Also, have you had blood work done lately? There's always the possibility of a thyroid issue playing into the slow loss.

I've been thinking about having mine checked, as I think I'm the only perimenopausal fat lady in American who is always cold!

I've also upped my workout routine recently, and I can't believe that I'm actually doing RUNNING intervals. And yet I bounce, from 229 to 232 up and down.

I know that the set point theory has been more or less debunked, but I know that I tend to stick at weights that I tend to stick at, and I weighed 230 for a long time before I started shooting up. (my stick weights: 151, 161, 173, 231, 251, 272...)

I think it's a good idea to up your calories-- with the amount of exercise you're getting 1300 sounds low!

I really admire your stick-to-itiveness and it makes me feel like I can hold through a lousy month if you had to stick through a WHOLE YEAR!

thistoo
01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks very much to both of you! It's just so nice to be able to come here and talk about it with people who *get* it, you know? My sister and I work out together, and she tries to understand, but she's always been 'the thin one', so it's hard for her.

I think the worst part is that I'm so carb-sensitive that any little extra carbs in my diet, even whole grains, just make me gain and gain. So I don't eat many carbs that aren't vegetable-based, and I'm usually hungry all the time. Veggies just don't fill me up for long for some reason (even if I eat a whole pan of collards, which I have been known to do.)

Ubergirl, I definitely think some of it is muscle. And some of the water retention has to be my muscle repairing itself. The rest...well, my sister-the-exercise-physiologist's theory is that I've been in starvation mode for so long that my body has no idea what to do anymore. So hopefully upping my calories drastically will do the trick. If not...well. I am committed to this lifestyle because I enjoy being fit, but it would sure be nice if some more weight would come off!

I've talked to my doctor about this and she says my thyroid is fine, but you know they never do the right tests. So if I continue to plateau I'm going to have to go back in and push for more tests, or maybe call an endocrinologist, because I suspect that's where the real problem lies. It's just frustrating to have come so far only to get stuck *just* above the 'overweight' category.

Anyway, thanks again. Ubergirl, WTG on the running! Stick with it; it really makes you drop weight. I bet you'll bust through your plateau any day now with the intervals added into your routine. I've been punking out on running myself lately because it's so cold out, but I need to suck it up and just do it. Running is honestly the best weight loss exercise I've found, and I've tried pretty much everything at this point.

lovemyboy
01-04-2010, 06:17 PM
First off, I commend you on your stick-to-it-ness. Getting frustrated and quitting altogether would give you a major gain instead of a maintain. It doesn't hurt to test the theory that your body is holding back because of fear of starvation. I hope it does the trick. It just might.

I too have a skinny sister that gives me advice. Don't you love that?! :dizzy: If it helps, I am not sitting here swilling full-sugar pop and munching on potato chips while wearing a size two as I type this (or maybe that is just MY sister. Lol)

I like the suggestion of checking thyroid. It wouldn't hurt to check pituitary (which regulates thyroid) too. With the carbs sensitivity, are you diabetic? That could affect hormone balance and make it harder on you.

If this doesn't work, I know that you will persist and find something that does work.

thistoo
01-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I too have a skinny sister that gives me advice. Don't you love that?! :dizzy: If it helps, I am not sitting here swilling full-sugar pop and munching on potato chips while wearing a size two as I type this (or maybe that is just MY sister. Lol)

I like the suggestion of checking thyroid. It wouldn't hurt to check pituitary (which regulates thyroid) too. With the carbs sensitivity, are you diabetic? That could affect hormone balance and make it harder on you.

LOL! My sister is a fitness professional, at least, so she gets paid (or used to, anyway) to give people weight loss advice. And she practices what she preaches, for the most part. In fact, she is always lecturing me about overtraining. Which she's right about, but I honestly don't know what else to do.

Funnily enough, I am not diabetic. You'd think I would be, considering all the women on my dad's side of the family are, but my blood sugars are always perfect, even at my high weight. I suspect PCOS or some sort of hidden thyroid issue, but I haven't pursued a diagnosis because I have friends with PCOS and the meds don't really make it much easier for them to lose weight. If I can't break this plateau I'll have to bite the bullet, though.

The last time I talked to my GP her solution was Ephedrine, which broke my last plateau, but as soon as I stopped taking it, I got stuck again. I do wonder if there's a correlation there, but I really don't want to get back on it.

marigrace
01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh boy, you seem to be experiencing exactly the same rhing I did a few years back , when I was lifting. My plateau lasted for a year or so,I kept getting smaller and tighter, but the scale just kept going up and down two pounds either way. Finally I let it get the best of me, gave up and all the pounds just started hopping on.....
Eating a bit more is probably a good move, and... I don't know if this works for you, but it might help to weigh less often. Sometimes the scale isn't the best measure of progress

nonamortica
01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
yup yup yup, I've been stuck stuck stuck for a long time. From my high of 196, once I got my thyroid medication, I lost 30 lbs easily, then ground to a screach halt. I've been pounding on that 150 barrier for YEARS. Hit it once but can't maintain it. Trying again.

My body just does not want to give this weight up. I will do well, get to 152, and GET REALLY HUNGRY. And I am not good at being hungry. I'm really good at maintaining my weight without too much worry. But getting it off is a whole nother thing.

I've been uping my dance practice and being more precise about my monitering, and resigned myself to it coming off s-l-o-w-l-y.

The thyroid thing really does impact and it's really much more complicated than calories in, calories out. Which your experience shows.

Good luck, persevere. This is a great and much needed thread.

Nona

thistoo
01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Oh boy, you seem to be experiencing exactly the same rhing I did a few years back , when I was lifting. My plateau lasted for a year or so,I kept getting smaller and tighter, but the scale just kept going up and down two pounds either way. Finally I let it get the best of me, gave up and all the pounds just started hopping on.....
Eating a bit more is probably a good move, and... I don't know if this works for you, but it might help to weigh less often. Sometimes the scale isn't the best measure of progress

I am going to try to stay off the scale for a little while. My problem with that is I generally let it become an excuse to loosen up on my eating plan, and then I get back on the scale to find a gain. But this time I'm tracking my calories so carefully that I don't think that'll happen. Time will tell!

If I was tightening up much I wouldn't be quite so frustrated, but I haven't really seen a difference in inches either. It's pretty annoying.

My body just does not want to give this weight up. I will do well, get to 152, and GET REALLY HUNGRY. And I am not good at being hungry. I'm really good at maintaining my weight without too much worry. But getting it off is a whole nother thing.

THIS. Exactly. I'm great at maintaining too, as long as I keep working out hard, but getting the weight to come off is a constant uphill battle. So frustrating!

I'm terrible at being hungry too, and the only thing that ever makes me feel not hungry is carbs. Which, of course, make me gain weight.

marigrace
01-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Tracking the calories works for me. Even if you don't weigh in too often... as long as you get the calories right the rest seems to work out ok.
You got me thinking about exercise again, Caroline....I can't seem to get motivated with that right now, but I know it is the right thing to do....maybe tomorow... getting late... think I'll watch a movie on Hulu, now.....

cfmama
01-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Yes we can talk about plateaus... but why would we want to? lolz!!!! Just kidding ;) Before Christmas I was experiencing my very first REAL plateau. It remains to be seen whether it's been broken or not... ask me in a couple of weeks.

However what I AM doing is trying lower calories, more exercise, journal ling every single bite and getting in all my water. once I do that? It's out of my freaking hands.

ubergirl
01-04-2010, 11:10 PM
If I was tightening up much I wouldn't be quite so frustrated, but I haven't really seen a difference in inches either. It's pretty annoying.

I'm always amazed by the people who say they are compacting, or whatever it is that you do that makes you feel smaller even though you haven't actually dropped pounds.

I NEVER see any change unless I drop pounds. And my waist, which is my problem area, can sometimes bloat right back to 45", where I started... I don't know if it's gas (yikes!) or that my abdominal muscles don't support as well at night, but I do know that I LOOK LIKE A BROODMARE a lot of the time.

I've never stayed on a healthy eating plan long enough to have this happen...

luckymommy
01-04-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm in the middle of a plateau right now, but not for as long as you're experiencing. My heart really goes out to you. Your workouts sound intense. I was wondering if you've tried calorie cycling? You can Google it and a lot of people have good results with this, as long as it doesn't trigger binge eating in them. I think it's a good way of shocking the body and it sounds like your body might respond to a little shock. ;) I'm completely brain storming, but do you think that since you're not running anymore, that has slowed things down? Also, I find that I burn about 1,000 calories at the gym, but that really doesn't make a difference which makes me think that all those numbers are wrong. It doesn't matter because I don't tap into those calories with my food, and it sound like you don't either. My question is: do you still keep active the rest of the day? I find that when I'm sedentary (aside from my kick butt workouts), I don't quite get the same results as when I'm active all day long. I even try to workout a bit while watching t.v....even if it's just lying on my back and doing air bicycle movements with my legs. It's not "cool," but it gets the blood pumping and I kind of feel like having the blood going at unexpected times of the day makes things move a long better.

Finally, are you (pardon the question) going to the bathroom properly? I hate to ask this question, but it's important. Even if people go every day, they might not be doing enough, so that can make things worse too. I thought I'd just mention it. ;)

I hope you figure it out. Either way, I think you're such a fighter and so committed and it's very admirable. Hang in there. Like you said, it took you a whole year to get over a plateau in the past and maybe you're up against that kind of a challenge again, but you will persevere in the end..you already have! :)

Michelle98272
01-04-2010, 11:42 PM
This is coming from the 266 pound woman mind you so please do not let me offend! Maybe your body likes 150? My doctor asked me lately when I asked her what my reasonable goal weight would be, "What is the weight your body went to naturally before you started to diet?" Mine was 175lbs. Definitely "fat" by the BMI but it seemed easy to stick at. (of course I was 22 years old!)

ubergirl
01-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Yes we can talk about plateaus... but why would we want to? lolz!!!! Just kidding ;) Before Christmas I was experiencing my very first REAL plateau. It remains to be seen whether it's been broken or not... ask me in a couple of weeks.

However what I AM doing is trying lower calories, more exercise, journal ling every single bite and getting in all my water. once I do that? It's out of my freaking hands.

True. And wise words. We can only change what we do. We can't change what happens.

Eliana
01-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Funnily enough, I am not diabetic. You'd think I would be, considering all the women on my dad's side of the family are, but my blood sugars are always perfect, even at my high weight. I suspect PCOS or some sort of hidden thyroid issue, but I haven't pursued a diagnosis because I have friends with PCOS and the meds don't really make it much easier for them to lose weight. If I can't break this plateau I'll have to bite the bullet, though.

I have PCOS and in my opinion, knowing you have it only helps if you want to have an excuse. It's a dreadful thing to have, especially if you are trying to conceive. We lost a baby to PCOS. BUT, you're right, the meds really don't help and the often prescribed birth control pills only cover up symptoms, they don't really cure them. So as long as your sugar is under control, I wouldn't worry about knowing whether or not you have it. And they test for it by doing a fasting glucose anyway.

On the plateau side of things, just don't do what I did! I lost 30 lbs and then gave up and gained it all back! I still keep asking myself why, why, why did I do that? Keep going! Stay strong! Maintain. You obviously know from experience that this can last a while.

thistoo
01-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm always amazed by the people who say they are compacting, or whatever it is that you do that makes you feel smaller even though you haven't actually dropped pounds.

I NEVER see any change unless I drop pounds.

In my experience, weight training helps a lot with this. Not even just traditional lifting, but weight-bearing exercise as well. You swim a lot, I know, and that's a first-class calorie burner, but it's non-weight-bearing so you're not building the big muscles in your legs and core the way you do when you're running or doing Pilates or the elliptical or whatever. If you add in some weight-bearing or lifting, you might see that 'tightening up' people talk about.

I've certainly tightened up a lot in the past three years, though not nearly as much as I'd like, and I thought I'd see more dramatic results with this current program I'm following. I have smoothed out a little in the back (the love handles region), but other than that there's not much happening. Maybe because I was already lifting for a long time before I started P90X.

This is coming from the 266 pound woman mind you so please do not let me offend! Maybe your body likes 150? My doctor asked me lately when I asked her what my reasonable goal weight would be, "What is the weight your body went to naturally before you started to diet?" Mine was 175lbs. Definitely "fat" by the BMI but it seemed easy to stick at. (of course I was 22 years old!)

No, I think you're right, my body is enjoying 155 very much! Trouble is I'm 5 feet tall, and 155 does not look so hot on me. So my body will not win this war! LOL Also, my doctor told me she'd like to see me hit 115. That's not only less than my goal, but on her scale that's five pounds less than on my scale, which means I'd have to aim for 110 at home to please her. :rolleyes:

I have PCOS and in my opinion, knowing you have it only helps if you want to have an excuse. It's a dreadful thing to have, especially if you are trying to conceive. We lost a baby to PCOS. BUT, you're right, the meds really don't help and the often prescribed birth control pills only cover up symptoms, they don't really cure them. So as long as your sugar is under control, I wouldn't worry about knowing whether or not you have it. And they test for it by doing a fasting glucose anyway.

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles with conception. I am reassured by what you say about the effects of the meds, though. I just watch my friends yo-yo up and down weight-wise and use the PCOS as an excuse, and I don't want to fall into that trap.

The good news about your loss and re-gain is that you know you can do it because you've already lost it once. And honestly, if I haven't given up in disgust yet, anyone can hang in there. It's really worth it, even if I never lose another pound. I feel awesome.

Eliana
01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer! LOL! Yes, we lost a baby, but we have two beautiful boys and I'm so blessed to have them. I only threw it in there so as to sound a little less callous about PCOS. Yes, it's a horrible thing and some women suffer terribly from it. I just know I used it as an excuse for not being able to lose this weight and I'm so over it!

thistoo
01-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm in the middle of a plateau right now, but not for as long as you're experiencing. My heart really goes out to you. Your workouts sound intense. I was wondering if you've tried calorie cycling? You can Google it and a lot of people have good results with this, as long as it doesn't trigger binge eating in them. I think it's a good way of shocking the body and it sounds like your body might respond to a little shock. ;) I'm completely brain storming, but do you think that since you're not running anymore, that has slowed things down? Also, I find that I burn about 1,000 calories at the gym, but that really doesn't make a difference which makes me think that all those numbers are wrong. It doesn't matter because I don't tap into those calories with my food, and it sound like you don't either. My question is: do you still keep active the rest of the day?

I have tried calorie cycling, yes. It's a great concept that just didn't work for me. I think it might have been that I let myself get a little too crazy on my high days, and my low days were a real struggle. But whatever the reason, it just didn't work out. I know it works really well for other people, though, so it's a great suggestion.

I'm wearing a heart rate monitor these days that tells me my calories burned according to my heart rate, and it seems more or less accurate. Certainly more accurate than the machines at the gym. I definitely don't eat those calories back (I never understood that concept anyway!) so it's part of my overall deficit. Basically my BMR is 2400-ish, I burn around 1000 a day, and I eat 1800. So I have a 500-600 calorie deficit, plus my exercise. (I don't work out twice every day, but I try to work out 90 minutes at least most days.)

I do wonder sometimes if lack of running is part of my problem. The cardio I'm doing now (Beachbody's Insanity program) gets my heart rate up to 170-180, which is my max, and that's what running does for me. So I figure it's comparable, and maybe the key to getting the scale to move again. I just have such a love-hate relationship with running; I love that it helps me lose, but I HATE doing it. If it's all that works, I'll go back to it faithfully, but I have osteoarthritis in my knee and I'm worried I'm going to blow it out one of these days. Not a valid excuse!

As far as activity during the day goes, I'm a librarian, so that does mean a lot of desk work. I walk half a mile each way from my car to work and back, so that's a little extra activity. I try to get up at least once an hour, whether it's just to run up two flights of steps to the restroom (my rule is 'never use the public restroom', so I always have to go up or down two flights to pee, which I do approximately a million times a day!), go across the street for a cup of coffee, or just wander aimlessly around the building. Some of my job is physical as well; we're working on a big weeding project right now, so I spend time standing in the stacks pulling dusty old books off the shelves and seeing how often they get checked out. That involves a lot of pushing/pulling of carts and going up and down stairs, too.

Finally, are you (pardon the question) going to the bathroom properly? I hate to ask this question, but it's important. Even if people go every day, they might not be doing enough, so that can make things worse too. I thought I'd just mention it. ;)

This is actually something I have trouble with on a regular basis! I mentioned it to my GP and she said, and I quote, "Eat more fiber." Thanks, Doc! :rolleyes: Seriously, though, I try to fit in that much fiber, but it's tough. Beans are pretty much out since they're so high carb, and she has no other helpful suggestions. It's all a balancing act, but that certainly contributes to my problem, yes.

thistoo
01-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer! LOL! Yes, we lost a baby, but we have two beautiful boys and I'm so blessed to have them. I only threw it in there so as to sound a little less callous about PCOS. Yes, it's a horrible thing and some women suffer terribly from it. I just know I used it as an excuse for not being able to lose this weight and I'm so over it!

Oh, no, you weren't being a downer! I just know what my sister went through trying to conceive (she adopted two gorgeous brats last year) and I know the heartbreak that goes along with it. She has pretty severe endometriosis, though she's carb-sensitive like me as well so I wonder if that contributed.

I'm glad you're over it! It's a miserable struggle for sure, but it's not insurmountable. Thanks for reminding me of that. :D

jay41
01-05-2010, 09:32 AM
About every 30 pounds I go through a horrible plateau. I've noticed it happens with changes in exercise,,,such as going from a heavy cardio routine to a heavy weight routine.

One way I've found to break the nightmare is to change the balance of my foods or add in foods I normally don't eat and remove food I normally do eat. My last plateau was horrible. I upped the exercise, ate less...couldn't break it. I used to eat a chicken sandwich for lunch everyday. I switched up to a veggie soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. I added more squashes to my diet and removed pasta...I use spaghetti squash whenever I make a dish with noodles. I removed rice and added quinoa. These diet changes got me moving again.

It's frustrating though :(

ubergirl
01-05-2010, 09:51 AM
In my experience, weight training helps a lot with this. Not even just traditional lifting, but weight-bearing exercise as well. You swim a lot, I know, and that's a first-class calorie burner, but it's non-weight-bearing so you're not building the big muscles in your legs and core the way you do when you're running or doing Pilates or the elliptical or whatever. If you add in some weight-bearing or lifting, you might see that 'tightening up' people talk about.

I am really looking forward to starting weight training. I've been playing phone tag with the trainer since before the holidays-- I hope that's not a bad sign. I signed up through my local Y and I'm thinking it's only taking this long because of the holidays...we have a tentative date for tomorrow and I'm really excited....

I should say that I am WAY fitter, more muscular, whatever, than I was when I started. When I started, I was having trouble with stuff like getting up off the sofa!! What is ironic is that I'm really more of the athletic type-- I was a competitive athlete as a young person. I'm fairly well coordinated and I used to play a lot of sports, but sadly, I gave them up one by one as I got heavy until I only walked, and even then, it was so sporadic that I got really fatigued on hills and stuff. What's driving me crazy is my 40" waist. I keep measuring even while I'm stuck at 230 thinking maybe all the running and swimming will help, but so far not.

What is the heart rate monitor that tells you about calories burned? Are you talking about a POLAR monitor type thing? I have one that connects to my treadmill, so I can see target HR... I have a problem with running that toward the end of the workout my HR started to go above my target HR. I'm not sure how much of a problem that is.

I have to say that returning to exercise has been BY FAR the best part of weight loss-- better even than wearing smaller clothes and looking better. Not only do I feel better, but it gives me an outlet for my stress that feels much better than my former carb fests.

Plus, I forgot to mention the good news-- I'm back down to 228 this morning!!!!!!

thistoo
01-05-2010, 10:40 AM
What is the heart rate monitor that tells you about calories burned? Are you talking about a POLAR monitor type thing? I have one that connects to my treadmill, so I can see target HR... I have a problem with running that toward the end of the workout my HR started to go above my target HR. I'm not sure how much of a problem that is.

I have to say that returning to exercise has been BY FAR the best part of weight loss-- better even than wearing smaller clothes and looking better. Not only do I feel better, but it gives me an outlet for my stress that feels much better than my former carb fests.

Plus, I forgot to mention the good news-- I'm back down to 228 this morning!!!!!!

Hey, congratulations on 228! That is awesome news. :D

I use the Timex T5G971 Heart Rate Monitor (http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1262705584&sr=8-1) because it's affordable and it counts calories burned. So far it's worked really well for me, at a much lower cost than the Polar monitors that a lot of people recommend (though I'm sure those are fantastic, I just couldn't afford one.)

It's the chest strap/watch combo type HRM, which isn't always super-comfortable, but you get used to it.

Unlike yourself, I've never been an athlete, so this is all new territory for me. I am SO enjoying my fitness, I have to say. I mean, good gravy, I have a pull-up bar hanging in my house. I can't actually *do* a pull-up yet, but I'll get there, by God. Of course, a year ago I would have laughed in the face of anyone who suggested I'd someday be considering running a 10-mile race, so I guess anything's possible.

I wonder if your personal trainer is so busy because it's the new year and they're drowning in requests from the resolutioners. Soon enough those people will give up and you'll get much more attention, I'm sure. I hope your appointment for tomorrow stands, though. I used to hate weight training, but now I really look forward to it. Well. I enjoy it once it's done, anyway. ;)

simplebutterfly
01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
The only thing I could guess is that your calorie deficit is far to high.
If your burning 1000 calories per day plus a deficit through food thats huge.

Normally its not recommended to have a deficit of more than 1000 calories per day.

I would suggest eating back some of your exercise calories.

Going as low as 1300 and exercising off 1000 gives you a nett calorie intake of 300.

I hope you find whatever you need to make it through your plateau.. but i think more food might be the trick.

thistoo
01-05-2010, 10:43 AM
The only thing I could guess is that your calorie deficit is far to high.
If your burning 1000 calories per day plus a deficit through food thats huge.

Normally its not recommended to have a deficit of more than 1000 calories per day.

I would suggest eating back some of your exercise calories.

Going as low as 1300 and exercising off 1000 gives you a nett calorie intake of 300.

I hope you find whatever you need to make it through your plateau.. but i think more food might be the trick.

Of course you're totally right, and it's absolutely logical. It's just TERRIFYING to go up so much in calories! But I'm sticking with it and I think it might just be the answer. (Fingers crossed. Time will tell!)

catherinef
01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
ubergirl, really, hang in there. I'm currently about fifteen pounds lighter than you, and much of those last fifteen pounds have come off my waist, dropping me from about 39" to just over 36". I've lost in my waist all along, but not as dramatically as I have in other places. I'm middle-aged, and probably getting perimenopausal, so I have some issues in that area, and was truly feeling kind of hopeless about it, but sure enough, my waist is catching up, if not as quickly as I'd have liked.

Nikki6kidsmom
01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I am plateau-ville myself and I do not understand it. The numbers are not budging are getting me down in spirits not in weight. I started a Bootcamp program 3 weeks ago that is kicking my a$$ and still no drop! This week I decided to do cardio on the treadmill on my off Bootcamp days, I guess I put alot of faith that the change with Bootcamp would blast my plateaus and it isn't YET.
You are a inspiration that you kept plugging along thru a year long stall. Thank you for posting about this I am going to be watching you closely for tips as you figure out how to overcome this. I love your dedication!

thistoo
01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I am plateau-ville myself and I do not understand it. The numbers are not budging are getting me down in spirits not in weight. I started a Bootcamp program 3 weeks ago that is kicking my a$$ and still no drop! This week I decided to do cardio on the treadmill on my off Bootcamp days, I guess I put alot of faith that the change with Bootcamp would blast my plateaus and it isn't YET.

Oh, plateaus. They are honestly the bane of my existence. I am wondering, however, if your new level of exercise means you're not taking in enough calories? You might need to up them a little and see what happens. Didn't work for me, granted, but it has worked very well for other people in the past.

I've been doing Insanity and P90X simultaneously, which is a LOT of exercise, and it's great to feel stronger, but I haven't lost any size at all. Are you measuring? You are probably packing on muscle like crazy, which is part of my problem, I'm sure.

I imagine your plateau will break pretty soon (my body is especially stubborn because I'm so carb-intolerant; most people don't have the same problem) but it's tough to be patient in the meantime. Hang in there! You are doing an amazing job.

Wild Vulpix
01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't have any advice, persay, but as a fellow 5'0"-girl, I wish you so much luck and success, thistoo! We shorties gotta stick together. I really hope you're able to smash this plateaus, and make it to your goal! :hug:

Deana
01-22-2010, 10:10 PM
I definitely feel the pain. I got into One-derland at the end of the 1st week of October by the start of the second week of November I was at 190 and have been hovering there ever since even though I am currently training for a half-marathon and run an average of 15-20 miles a week. I count calories and stay between 1400-1600 daily. I focus more on my weekly calorie intake than my daily intake but still NOTHING! It's frustrating to be able to run 8 miles non-stop and not be able to move the freaking scale! Admittedly, I have not been doing any sort of strength training in the last four months or so. I purchased Jillian's No More Trouble Zones and plan to do it twice a week and maintain my runs on the other four days. I HOPE to return by the end of the month and finally be out of the 190s. I am just SO sick and tired of having to lose weight, I just want to get to maintenance already. Although I do enjoy working out, I am frustrated at feeling like it isn't accomplishing my ultimate goal which is to be at a certain weight. ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... ..

thistoo
01-23-2010, 10:18 AM
We shorties gotta stick together.

Amen! Short girls represent :D

I definitely feel the pain. I got into One-derland at the end of the 1st week of October by the start of the second week of November I was at 190 and have been hovering there ever since even though I am currently training for a half-marathon and run an average of 15-20 miles a week. I count calories and stay between 1400-1600 daily. I focus more on my weekly calorie intake than my daily intake but still NOTHING! It's frustrating to be able to run 8 miles non-stop and not be able to move the freaking scale!

It's SO frustrating, I know. I hope you break through your plateau soon. Maybe Jillian will help, who knows. It's TOM for me right now, so I haven't been anywhere near the scale, but I'm starting Atkins tomorrow so I hope that's the answer for me.

ubergirl
01-23-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm feeling so plateau-ish too... 3 pounds in 6 weeks is .5 lbs per week... and at 225 I just should be able to do BETTER than that.

Have started lifting, but only 4 sessions total, so I doubt that's enough to make the difference.

I'm thinking to go back to my original plan which was only lean protein and non-starchy veggies for lunch and dinner.

I did not find that sustainable in the long term, and when I added more variety to my diet I kept losing...

But, my body just seems delightedly happy to weigh in the mid 220s. GRRR.

Am looking forward to seeing how Adkins works for you.

traci in training
01-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Have you considered taking a week's vacation? DH got stuck at about 245 (he's 6'4") after about 100 pound weight loss. He was stuck for about two months and nothing he tried budged him. He was about to go crazy over the whole thing.

We went on vacation and he ate what he wanted (not crazy deep-fat fried everything and ten pounds of chocolate or anything) but cheeseburger on the grill instead of chicken, had a couple of strawberry shakes, etc. We were busy - biked, went to an amusement park, did some hiking - but he didn't step on a treadmill or lift weights or anything like that. Just had a good time for a week with our family and really relaxed. Changed focus.

When we came home he had gained about a pound. Went back to his regular routine the next week. Two weeks later he was down six pounds.

He's "bottomed out" one other time and although we didn't leave home on a real vacation he did take a week off from the training and eating regime he normally follows. It worked for him again then.

Please don't think I'm advocating for giving up. I am certainly not. I just think that sometimes our minds and bodies need a little break from our intensity. Of course, I'm a mental health nurse and I look at things differently than some people. I truly believe that we have to be in balance - mind, body, and spirit - for us to be successful.

ChrissyBean
01-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I hear you. I'm at a set point right now, 184-186. I obviously have no advice but keep on keeping on. :)

thePetNanny
01-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Great thread! Just read it through. Having lost 90lbs+ so far, I've experienced several plateaus. I would just eventually outstubborn it, change up what foods I'm eating or exercise and in a couple of weeks I'd start moving again. This last one I was on since the holidays, not too long but enough that I was starting to get frustrated. I started getting stricter with the diet (Eat to Live) and doing JMs 30 day shred and it *appears* that I've lost 4lbs. I say appears because it's certainly possible to get back on the scale and it be back.

I've noticed that I tend to work that way sometimes, go for a couple of weeks with nothing lost then drop several at once, doesn't make any sense to me.

With previous weight losses I would give up when I'd plateau. Last time, about ten years ago, I went from 200 to 150, then stalled. I looked pretty good but wasn't satisfied and eventually quit and kept going up and up until I maxxed out at 269 last Spring.

This time around though, I've tried to learn PATIENCE! lol....

Don't give up and look at the big picture and all that...

Although a year would be intensely frustrating I don't doubt. I also expect that I'll get hung up at 150 again if I make it there.

I'm always curious what people at different heights/weights consider good for them...I see some people my height with 150 as a goal and some with 120 as a goal. I think 140 would prob be good for me if I'm in good shape, but we'll see (hopefully)...

Fingers crossed for all of us!

thistoo
01-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Have you considered taking a week's vacation?

Traci, I have tried this indeed, and I think a lot of times our bodies really *do* need a 'reset', if you will. Unfortunately it never seems to work for me, but I know it works for other people. I'm pretty sure for me it's all about the carbs at this point.

thistoo
01-24-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm thinking to go back to my original plan which was only lean protein and non-starchy veggies for lunch and dinner.

I did not find that sustainable in the long term, and when I added more variety to my diet I kept losing...

Only lean protein and non-starchy veg for dinner has been my approach this whole time, pretty much. It *is* sometimes hard to sustain, hence my slooooow progress. But if Atkins works I figure I am just going to have to make the decision to live low-carb forever. Clearly my body can't handle carbs the way other people's can. I'll definitely let you know how it goes! I have a feeling I've gained a little this past week, but I'm just getting done with TOM so the scale won't tell me my real weight for a few days yet.