The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - TBL Season 9- Couples- Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Passionista
03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Haven't read the thread yet, as I'm watching the show on my DVR. Melissa still irritates the **** outta me. Watching Cherita plead for Victoria's case literally made me cry too!

Violin Jenn
03-31-2010, 01:00 PM
So here's my take, but keep in mind I am a very competive type A personality.

The voting of a player back on, I thought was a good idea. Give the remaining contestants a say in one person coming back, let the other earn it. Miggy was sooo close to winning the step challange, but yeah Melissa ran away with it.

I like that Vicky is having her chance to experience the ranch and daily beatings. I loved how Bob and Jill made her feel welcome, warm and fuzzy then introduced her to the daily beatings! LOL!

Melissa's return. She used to annoy me so much! But I'm thinking this is a good thing. Bob is right she's gonna keep the others on their toes! And I love her competive spirit. I actually would have voted to bring her back. Her competitiveness and attitude to boldly go after what she wanted is exactly me! Throwing weigh in's is still not cool.

Stephanie-I do believe she threw the weigh in, but I was SO surprised to see Koli trash talking her. But that coldness, not opening up to people, need for control, may be what he's seeing. She could be just shy too. Her numbers were just too all over the place to not have been thrown.

OH MAN! Yes I saw those bulging tricepts of Sams!!! Oh yum! He's gonna be HOT come finale night! :drool:

I really love how Bob is working with O'neal on his climbing steps. Those little pointers whispered between them at the weigh in before O'neal climbed them. Awww! I just love Bob!!!

I'd love to see more of the interaction between the contestants and the trainers and contestants. To see those bonds forming and the joking around. Like in the older seasons.

That's all that comes to mind for now.

babygrant
03-31-2010, 01:11 PM
By the way, can somebody quickly explain to me why so many of them said that Vicky was never given a chance?

The very first show all the teams had to bike ride 26 miles (I believe). Last two teams to finish got sent home. That was Sunshine and her dad and Vicky and her mom. Those two teams came back a few weeks later and weighed in. Since Sunshine and her dad lost more weight, they got to go back on the ranch for good so Vicky and her mom left the ranch once again without ever getting to work out with the trainers.

I think Koli is jealous of Sam's relationship with Stephanie.

I agree.

Tomato
03-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Zinkemom and babygrant,
Thanks for the update!

I agree with everybody who said Koli may be jealous of Sam's relationship with Steph.

MakingSkinny
03-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Did everyone else notice that Migdalia didn't come back for a chance to get back on the ranch? I'm interested to see if she's managing to continue to lose weight at home. I realize that her husband is away with the military right now, but I got the impression that her heart wasn't really into losing the weight. I never saw the spark, the determination, you know? I imagine she's under contract to appear at the finale, I'm very curious to see how she's done since leaving.

momof2kz
03-31-2010, 06:32 PM
i love the show! but can not stand melissa. cant' believe she is back. i think she looks good already and others who really need to still lose more weight should have been brought back.
o'well, still love the show.

lights76
03-31-2010, 06:38 PM
I missed most of it cause I was putting the kiddos to sleep but did they actually talk about the Steph and Sam relationship? Just wondering...

gardend1va
03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
I missed most of it cause I was putting the kiddos to sleep but did they actually talk about the Steph and Sam relationship? Just wondering...

They didn't discuss it directly, but when Steph was back at home at her 30th birthday party, she announced that she "fell in love". It was left for people to assume that it happened while she was at the ranch. I have never seen anyone directly refer to their relationship on the show. The editing subtly hints at their relationship, by showing, for example, a "Sam reaction" to something Steph has said, but if you didn't know they were dating it would slide right past unnoticed.

Cali Doll
03-31-2010, 08:01 PM
I like how Sam has himself an older woman. ;-)

I only liked Steph this week...didn't care for her much before. Sorry to see her go. I didn't like how she was treated on her way out.

Sam....my goodness. HOT!

Drea bugs.

I'm liking O'Neal a bit again. I like how he said that Vicky is his 2nd daughter. That was endearing.

Speaking of Vicky, I'm very glad she's back. Not so happy about Melissa. I was hoping Miggy would pull out the win.

ETA: I think Daris is VERY handsome now. He's totally adorable. I love his wacky hair...of course, I have wacky hair myself (similar to that of Daris actually. LOL!)

weebleswobble
03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
MM is the drama-llama. :)

PeanutsMom704
03-31-2010, 11:11 PM
I agree the challenge was designed to give Melissa a good chance, but I think it was geared for Miggy too - she came very close. I think the producers were looking for one of the two of them because they both bring the drama. Personally, I'd rather have Melissa on my tv than Miggy - she's conniving but I find her amusing. Miggy just strikes me as mean and not that interesting to watch.

Very glad to see Vicky back and I agree that she did deserve a chance, even though damn, she did GREAT at home too! Very impressive but interesting to see that despite dropping such a large amount of weight and presumably putting in a significant amount of work out time, she was still very undertrained compared to the others in terms of what she could handle from the trainers.

I'm not personally that sorry to see Stephanie go - not that I want her to fail or anything like that but I never warmed up to her. I did find Koli's trash talking a bit odd though, since he is supposed to be so close to Sam and therefore Stephanie will presumably be in his life after the show (although they've said Sam is going to move to California to be with Stephanie so maybe they won't see each other that much anyway).

Glad that O'Neal squeaked through this week - I think he really does need to be there (as much as I hate that phrase) since it's a big difference for someone trying to get into a smaller clothing size vs. regaining basic life functions like climbing up stairs.

I hope Sunshine and Daris both make it to the finals - they are both consistently super hard workers and very inspiring to me.

gardend1va
04-01-2010, 08:44 AM
I am sure that there is a lot of anger on Koli's part at Stephanie "taking away" Sam from him, especially if Sam has plans to move to CA to be with Steph. It is a very immature way for an adult man to act, but it is the only thing that would explain why he would creep around poisoning Drea and Ashley against Stephanie.

I think there will be some hurt feelings between Koli and Steph--and Sam too-- now that this episode has aired.

parkedout
04-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Sorry for the late entrance...I just watched it last night... and OH. EM. GEE..

What was UP with Koli. The obvious jealousy he harbors for Steph is one thing (and kind of understandable) but he was trash talking ALL of them! He basically called Vicky a loser, DID call Miggy a trouble maker and Melissa a quitter.

I was NOT pleased with his little solo there. Not pleased at all. I guess its hard for me, with the work ethic set by Sione and Felipe--whom I LOVED to see Koli be so darned catty. :( Oh, well.. maybe he was PMSing.

Hated to see Steph go(as she is one of my faves) but she really didn't hussle the way some of the others do. I really want to see Sunshine clean up (and hopefully get some make up lessons--blue eyeshadow is SO 80's!). She is a trooper.

trekkiegirl
04-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I guess its hard for me, with the work ethic set by Sione and Felipe--whom I LOVED to see Koli be so darned catty. :(

I thought Sione and Felipe's behavior was much worse. There were reports of them sneaking off campus for fast food. Felipe accused Jillian of giving drugs to her team (he later claimed he never said it but the crew said otherwise) and there was a police search done on the ranch. And his behavior throughout the whole trainer switcharoo and back again was not something I want to see again. Honestly, when I first saw grey team and they said they were Tongans and mentioned Sione and Felipe, my first reaction was oh, no, not again. I didn't see Sam and Koli cry and sulk when the teams got reassembled.

I wasn't sure if it was so much jealousy on Koli's part as it was maybe a strict sense of right vs. wrong in his mind. Sometimes when people hold themselves to a certain standard, they expect the same of others, sort of a very black and white kind of thinking, with little room for the grey area (no pun intended). Koli said he's the type of person that, when he gets that impression of somebody not being upfront, that's how he thinks of them from that point on.

Also, Ashley went to Koli. She was the one with doubts about Stephanie and she decided to go to someone else for a sounding board. She had doubts and she went looking for confirmation. Then Koli said all that stuff to her. I'd like to know what it was that set Ashley off in that direction about Stephanie in the first place.

Sheila53
04-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I just read this online from an interview with Stephanie:

Has the drama been resolved between you, Ashley, Koli, and Andrea?"The situation came to light just recently. Watching the show was one of the first times I saw what was happening behind the scenes with Koli and with the girls. Ashley and Andrea have both called to reach out to me and apologize. They both have said they were wrong and that they were sorry and they’re genuine apologies. I believe that they feel that they were misguided and they were. I didn’t know such things that were described of me — I didn’t throw the weigh-in, I didn’t manipulate the game. I wasn’t playing the game. In terms of Koli, it hasn’t been resolved. I’m definitely looking forward to a chance to have that resolved in the future."

Interesting that the situation with Koli hasn't been resolved yet. The date of the article is 4/1/10.

giffy68
04-03-2010, 01:25 AM
I walked into the living room just in time to see Melissa get the 1000 step I kicked the chair forgetting I just took off my shoes needless to say I didn't want Melissa to win and now I have a black and blue toe to boot! RRRGG!!!

katkitten
04-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm beginning to get suspicious about Koli. That Stephanie trash talk was a MAJOR gameplay to break up an alliance. Why would someone assume that losing 2 pounds means throwing the weigh in? Even if it is back to back with a 9 pound loss (i could have my facts off but that how I remember it) Knowing the way MY body loses weight, I know that is perfectly normal for a woman to have fluctuations in water weight like that. I think that Koli is flying under the radar and may have a chance to win this but I'm starting to not like him as much.

I know I'm a sucker and I honestly havent even liked this guy until this episode but Michael made me cry with his cheesy speech he made for Victoria.

Daris is such a cutie! He is one of my FAVORITES! And I LOVE the hair LOL. Dont hate on the hair! ;) I also like Stephanie and Sam and Sunshine.

katkitten
04-03-2010, 11:38 AM
As for them rigging in to bring MMback....I thought the same thing and, whileI cant remember specific instances, remember thinking that they similarly favored Tracey last season.

MindiV
04-03-2010, 12:30 PM
It's aaaaaaall about the drama. While a lot of people on this board don't like when people "play the game" because we can relate to the struggles related with weight loss, there are a TON more people who tune in to see them "play the game" for the drama. Without Melissa or Miggy there....zero drama. A bunch of people mostly there for the right reasons and not looking to shake things up. Would've been a snooze fest for the viewers who want to see things off-kilter in the house...

ennay
04-04-2010, 12:33 PM
What I want to know is why people would suspect Stephanie threw the weigh ins but not Sam. On one of the same weeks she had bad weigh ins so did he. And then she pulled a 9 and he pulled 14. And he was safer than her because no one wanted to eliminate their only guy while still in team competition.

MindiV
04-05-2010, 08:04 AM
I think Sam did too...he and Stephanie were a team, and it's more than a little odd that their losses fell off and picked up during the same weeks...

fatmad
04-05-2010, 11:43 AM
I think the thing with Koli, Ashley and Drea was set up by the producers. I also think Sam will be leaving soon depending on whether he gets immunity. He has very little weight left to lose. He has some loose skin, but otherwise is very buff and muscular and has very little body fat under there. I don't want him gone, but unless he has immunity, I can't see that he will have much weight loss now.
Melissa won't last long either except for immunity, and we know she is great at the challenges, so she may wind up with immunity for a while.
I really feel like the challenges are a set up.
I am not liking the show much anymore and have fast-forwarded through it the last few weeks.
There are some other good weight loss tracking shows on now that I prefer, they encourage healthier weight losses.

shoeluver67
04-06-2010, 03:33 PM
i'm not sure...and correct me if i'm wrong, but i think Stephanie is the one that would have to move here (California)...Sam and Koli (i believe) are up north...somewhere between San Francisco and Sacramento. i think Stephanie lives somewhere in the mid-west.

shoeluver67
04-06-2010, 03:40 PM
p.s. we live not too far from the ranch and we see them filming down at the beach quite a bit. it's hard though because they are filming MONTHS before it airs...we don't realize at that time what we at seeing and who the players are, then by the time it airs we have forgotten exactly who we saw. we drove right by them when they were running the marathon last year at the end of season 8, it was pretty cool cuz we cheered them on as we passed...especially Danny, he was struggling the most and ended up winning the whole thing!

Tomato
04-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I look forward to tonight's episode although I know that a mere glimpse of Melissa MORGAN will shoot my blood pressure through the roof!

parkedout
04-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I look forward to tonight's episode although I know that a mere glimpse of Melissa MORGAN will shoot my blood pressure through the roof!

I'll be right there with you on that one......:dizzy: That woman is nuts.

tamaraceleste
04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
What a show tonight! Yeah for SUNSHINE!!! Yeah that Melissa lost!!!

Tomato
04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I am full of glee at how nobody helped Melissa and she lost.
Yeah baby!!!!

Ilene
04-06-2010, 09:45 PM
:nono: for Darus to be below the line............. :bravo: for Melissa to be below the line...I feel so mean :devil: ...

amynbebes
04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
If you could see me now I'm totally doing a happy dance, lol. :)

Ilene
04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I didn't realise she was a freakin' LAWYER!! She did have a good plea though :shrug:

readytodoit
04-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Yipppppeeeee....Yippppppeeeeee Melissa's gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaLaurie
04-07-2010, 06:40 AM
All during the show Melissa MORGAN kept saying how she wanted to stay on the ranch, but when she was voted off (Yay!), she changed her tune and said that she wanted to go home.

RayStar
04-07-2010, 07:14 AM
I agree I'm happy she is gone.

MindiV
04-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I may be the only one, but I'm not thrilled Melissa's gone...found her interesting at least. She had some fire to her...

Tomato
04-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Such a great episode last night! I totally loved it, and not only because Melissa MORGAN got voted off the island.

I loved the challenge; I thought it was a great idea to have them fish out the weights from the bottom of the pool. It seemed more fair than some of the other challenges where certain contestants had much higher chances of winning.
Of course, being a good swimmer was necessary. :D I was surprised and amazed by Sunshine, she did awesome.
I myself swim frequently and with passion but I can swim only breast stroke and I can't hold my breath under water [I used to be able to do that as a little kid and somehow I lost the ability to my chagrin, so hence the breast stroke only), so I would have lost. :mad:

I did a little happy dance when Melissa got the 1 lb penalty. :cp: (and I did not feel mean at all, LOL).

A few other things:
- I was surprised that now the contestants weigh in wearing a T-shirt; why is that? Is it to not show the loose skin?

- I wonder if Sam will get a surgery to have to loose skin removed, he has lots of it. (I screamed with delight that he got immunity [and he smoked Melissa out] but I have no idea now on Earth he lost 10 lbs.

- Melissa's daughter did not seem overly happy to have mommy back home, but perhaps she was just shy in front of the camera.

- Micheal - did you notice the worse-than-ever Nuclear Hair in the first half of the show? Then it went away, I wonder if he got a trim.

- Daris - every time the camera showed him, I had this gnawing feeling that he reminds me of somebody in a movie, and just could not figure it out. I was going to ask you here but just before I posted it came to me: he reminded of the dude Julia Roberts hooked with in Sleeping With the Enemy, after she ran away from her husband. (there was a rerun of it on TV 2 wks ago). He was played by Kevin Anderson (http://content8.flixster.com/photo/11/51/98/11519810_gal.jpg). ;)

Ilene, I knew Melissa was a lawyer - she blurted it out (it seemed to me on purpose) when she was on the ranch before she was sent home the first time. Most of us commented on it here at that time.

I was amazed how they all in unison decided not to play Melissa's game. That was a great ending.

babygrant
04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
DH thinks I've gone CRAZY. LOL. I was hooting and hollering when Melissa got the 1 lb disadvantage and I was hooting, hollering, and dancing when she got kicked off. I cannot stand her! Sure, yeah, at the end the winner wins $250,000.00 but how many people would volunteer, for no prize at all, to go train with Jillian and Bob and experience the biggest loser?!?!?! I just cannot stand her. Now she better not win the at home prize!

LitChick
04-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I loved the expressions on everyone's faces when she was making her plea. You could tell they weren't buying what she was trying to sell! I'm glad they all decided not to play that game.

And I just have to say, when she got home and said she was going to run a half marathon, I perked up and hoped they'd show her finish time. And when they did (3 hours and 49 minutes), I was very pleased to see that I beat her time by 51 minutes when I did my half marathon a couple weeks ago! :p

Is anyone a fan of Stephanie on Facebook? She has pics on there from her time on the ranch, and one of them includes a photo of Daris where the girls straightened his hair. Hilarious!

RayStar
04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Tomato you are so right. The underwater weight retrieval challenge was GREAT. The sportsmanship the team displayed was GREAT also.

RayStar
04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Babygrant I would love the chance to go for no prize for about one month. I would get too home sick. Heck, I might not last a month with the guarantee of the prize money.

parkedout
04-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I am not sorry to see the 'game' bite Melissa in the butt. She had it coming. And did anyone else catch the sarcasm(and irony) of Alison telling her at the weighin that even without the 1 pound disadvantage--she still would have been under?? Remember when Melissa smarted off about Miggy and Migdalia about the same thing--not too long ago??;) I was ROLLING with laughter on that one. Tee-hee! :smug:

Is anyone else a little miffed with Ashley and Drea? I think those two scheme more than the cameras show us.

I am REALLY pulling for Sunshine to bring it in this season. I just don't 'connect' with Vicky(although I am GLAD they voted her back in and gave her a chance to workout with Bob and Jill).

momof5k
04-07-2010, 12:41 PM
SO happy that Melissa is gone! :woohoo:

It is true, it is a game, but the people in the house right now and not focused on game play but focussing on their health...and that is what it should REALLY be about!

I am so glad that no one switched to the game player's side last night :)

Violin Jenn
04-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Even though Melissa annoyed me in the beginning, she's grown on me. I was sad to see her go. She added some fire and interest to the house. Her plea was a good one. The point she made is a good one. However, those that want to get to the final four are gonna have to play the game. I don't see how you can get there by being friends with everyone, cause sooner or later those friends are gonna have to start voting off each other.

I'm getting a little sick of seeing Sunshine cry at every weigh in. Ashley is still my pick to win. Whether or not they admit it, I think Sam and Koli are playing the game in a very suble manner. Like wanting to get the immunity so no one else did.

Drea needs to suck it up! I'm tired of the I want larger numbers from her. She has the weight to lose so something is off somewhere with her. Game play to get to the final four so she can drop big at home?

I'm not really connecting with anyone though. Maybe it's all the friendliness and not really seeing to much of the personalities of some.

Ali's comment to Melissa, Melissa had that coming!

zinkemomx2
04-07-2010, 01:19 PM
A few other things:
- I was surprised that now the contestants weigh in wearing a T-shirt; why is that? Is it to not show the loose skin? They always start wearing more clothes near the end. I think they want a more dramatic change at the end and the clothes help hide some of the muscle definition.

- I wonder if Sam will get a surgery to have to loose skin removed, he has lots of it. (I screamed with delight that he got immunity [and he smoked Melissa out] but I have no idea now on Earth he lost 10 lbs. I'm guessing he was majorly dehydrated. Did you see him working out with Koli wearing heavy sweats? And to me it looked like he was pretty bulky so it wouldn't surprise me if he had more than one layer on.

- Melissa's daughter did not seem overly happy to have mommy back home, but perhaps she was just shy in front of the camera. I thought they had two sons? I was trying to figure out whether the longer haired older child was a boy/girl.

- Micheal - did you notice the worse-than-ever Nuclear Hair in the first half of the show? Then it went away, I wonder if he got a trim. Maybe extra hair gel? I can't imagine that they would even let him cut it this close to the makeover show.

I was amazed how they all in unison decided not to play Melissa's game. That was a great ending.I am proud of all the remaining contestants. Even O'neal has backed off the game play conversations. They all seem to be there for the right reasons right now. I imagine that will all change again soon though.

And did anyone else catch the sarcasm(and irony) of Alison telling her at the weighin that even without the 1 pound disadvantage--she still would have been under?? Remember when Melissa smarted off about Miggy and Migdalia about the same thing--not too long ago??;) I was ROLLING with laughter on that one. Tee-hee! :smug:I thought that was hilarious of Alison to point that out. HA!

Is anyone else a little miffed with Ashley and Drea? I think those two scheme more than the cameras show us. To me Ashley has always looked like a schemer. She hides it well but if you watch her eyes you can tell she seems to be very calculating.

I am REALLY pulling for Sunshine to bring it in this season. I just don't 'connect' with Vicky(although I am GLAD they voted her back in and gave her a chance to workout with Bob and Jill).I do think Sunshine has it in her to win but I don't think she has the percentage to pull it off. Where are the stats at? Off to google.

zinkemomx2
04-07-2010, 01:24 PM
the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biggest_Loser:_Couples_3)

current percentages as of figures listed on wiki for last nights episode

Andrea 24.5%
Ashley 29.4
Daris 32.7 currently in the lead on campus
Koli 31.5
Michael 29.3
O'Neal 27.2
Sam 32.3
Sunshine 29.1
Victoria 24.0

Melissa 24.9%
Stephanie 25.0
Lance 24.9
Sherry 28.4 currently in the lead for at home prize
Cheryl 22.5
Miggy 20.4
Darrell 25.2
John 17.6
Cerita 17.0
Migdalia ?
Marie 20.3
Patti 18.9
James 14.8

gardend1va
04-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I cracked up at Mike's joke to Ally: "didn't your mother tell you not to play with guns?" at the weigh-in.

ennay
04-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I usually root so hard for the people doing the 1/2 marathons and marathons at home and I dislike Melissa so much that for the first time EVER I found myself being snotty about her time. There is nothing wrong with 3:49 if you are walking or jog/walking except that in all the video they showed her running which pretty much had to mean that whenever the cameras werent rolling she was strolling. It was actually 3:06:30, I went and looked up her official results which is a 14 min mile and definitely running most of the way. So ok, tame my snottiness. But seriously if anyone else had walked it in 3:49 I would have been all "good for you!" but not her!!

I was literally jumping up and down in my kitchen.

Tomato
04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Hah - I had no idea whether Melissa has two boys or a boy or a gilr. I just automatically assumed the long-haired kid was a girl.

Gardendiva,
Thanks for repeating Michael's wisecrack about the guns. I meant to ask about it - for some reason, I didn't understand what he said. That's very funny!

Although I always hope it will be a woman winning TBL, this time I am rooting for Sam. It still may change, but he continues to be my favourite.

Meenamom
04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I am so glad you said something Parkedout, I am not fond of Drea or Ashley I was really hoping they kept Melissa (please don't throw anything) and let Drea go home something is up with these two..At least with Melissa like her or not she was in your face with her attitude, not like Drea and doing it behind your back...
Peace Love and Lemonade
Carrie

MindiV
04-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I feel the same way about Melissa! I'd rather have someone openly playing the game than have people lying about playing it, or hiding that they're playing it. At least, with Melissa, everyone knew where they stood...

I am so glad you said something Parkedout, I am not fond of Drea or Ashley I was really hoping they kept Melissa (please don't throw anything) and let Drea go home something is up with these two..At least with Melissa like her or not she was in your face with her attitude, not like Drea and doing it behind your back...
Peace Love and Lemonade
Carrie

Cali Doll
04-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I loved everything about last night's episode. I LOVE Sunshine. I am 100% behind her to take it all. She's my Tara of this season. They have similar drive. I love it!

Mike's "guns" comment was hilarious. Ali and her jabs were funny (besides her Melissa comment, there was something else she did that seemed a bit snarky but I'm going blank on it right now).

I had to chuckle at Vicky pushing the button so soon. LOL! She's cute but I'm not emotionally attached to her. I also kind of believe she was urged to push it. It just didn't make much sense for her to do it....and she surely didn't seem all that confident as she did it.

I dislike Drea. I wanted Drea or Melissa to go.

Daris, I just adore him. He's so cute!

I also agree that Sam and Koli (am I alone in not liking Koli at all?) ARE playing the game.

ONeal isn't as annoying as he has been. He and Sunshine made me cry during their talk. ONeal said something like "this is the first time since Sunshine was born that I've put her down". Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Hun.e.B
04-07-2010, 10:20 PM
I didnt have any problem with Melissa playing the game. I just didnt like her personality AT ALL. I dont find her entertaining and I'm so glad she's gone! AGAIN!

Sam is looking so hawt! I do wonder if he'll end up getting surgury, I would imagine so, but can you imagine how'd he'd look with that loose skin gone?? Wow!!

Amandanrd
04-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Cali Doll, I agree with you... Melissa or Drea, I would've been okay with either leaving. I don't really care for Drea, but I like Ashley. Like most on here though, Sunshine is my girl!! I LOVE HER!

Didn't catch the significance of Ali's comment to Melissa until I just read it on here. That brought a smile to my face :)

Oh, and thanks for posting the current percentages zinkemomx2... interesting!

Natasha629
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I cracked up at Mike's joke to Ally: "didn't your mother tell you not to play with guns?" at the weigh-in.

That was hilarious! Michael is really growing on me. I didn't really like him when his mom was still on the show, but he's a really funny guy and his confidence is definitely soaring. It is great to see!

giffy68
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I agree I didn't really like Mike either thought he was to much of a mommas boy but he is growing on me too. I was hooting and hollering so loud my husband woke up upstairs and was wondering what all the commotion was about when Melissa was voted off YAHOO!!!

ciecie
04-10-2010, 01:21 PM
i started singing ding dong the witch is gone when she went below the yellow line. i added dancing to it when i heard her give her pitch as to why ashley should be voted off and she should be the one that stays. ashley also showed humility when she told the others why she should stay.

shoeluver67
04-11-2010, 06:08 PM
did anyone else find it ironic that melissa had the one pound disadvantage and when push came to shove it didn't make one bit of difference...and earlier in the season, she gave like a 2 or 5 pound (i can't remember which) disadvantage to the green team, and when push came to shove with them it didn't make a bit of difference either and melissa rubbed that right in their faces....

diamondgeog
04-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi I don't watch biggest loser all the time. In fact very irregularly. But I was at a hotel last week and saw the episode and saw the cameras they had on people late at night deciding whether or not to press the button for immunity.

I have just been diagnosed with sleep apnea and that got me wondering. It would seem that sleep apnea would be quite common with the contestants and NBC could really do a good public service by talking about it.

Well if you search on the internet you find sites claming that some years basically all the contestants have sleep apnea. As I am not a regular watcher at all but many of you are, I was wondering do they talk about sleep apnea? Do they at least show people sleeping with CPAP machines if they show the sleeping at all? It would be a huge opportunity missed not to mention dis-honest if their weight loss is happening in part by finally being treated for sleep apnea and Biggest Loser never talks about it.

I know they try and give all these tips on every show...so I want to believe they do talk about sleep apnea but I am not sure. If anyone has heard them do it, I'd like to know.

Ilene
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi I don't watch biggest loser all the time. In fact very irregularly. But I was at a hotel last week and saw the episode and saw the cameras they had on people late at night deciding whether or not to press the button for immunity.

I have just been diagnosed with sleep apnea and that got me wondering. It would seem that sleep apnea would be quite common with the contestants and NBC could really do a good public service by talking about it.

Well if you search on the internet you find sites claming that some years basically all the contestants have sleep apnea. As I am not a regular watcher at all but many of you are, I was wondering do they talk about sleep apnea? Do they at least show people sleeping with CPAP machines if they show the sleeping at all? It would be a huge opportunity missed not to mention dis-honest if their weight loss is happening in part by finally being treated for sleep apnea and Biggest Loser never talks about it.

I know they try and give all these tips on every show...so I want to believe they do talk about sleep apnea but I am not sure. If anyone has heard them do it, I'd like to know.I remember one of the Doctors on the show talking to a contestant about his/her sleep apnea, it wasn't a long segment, just a mention really of how weight loss would benefit sleep... That's all I remember, I don't even remember which doctor or contestant it was...

saef
04-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I remember seeing a pair of contestants with CPAP machines beside their twin beds in their dorm room. This is vivid to eme because I didn't know what it was at first, then realized, on my own, that it must be such a machine. The narration never explained.

ETA: In this season's show, in episode 5 -- the episode in which Miggy was rushed to the hospital for appendicitis in the middle of the night -- there is footage of the contestants waking the next morning that apparently shows CPAP machines. This is also the episode in which Sunshine & O'Neil return & win a place at the ranch.

OrganizedChaos
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I remember seeing a pair of contestants with CPAP machines beside their twin beds in their dorm room. This is vivid to eme because I didn't know what it was at first, then realized, on my own, that it must be such a machine. The narration never explained.

I think I remember this, didn't they show the twins from this season in their room with their CPAP machines, either on or next to their bed?

parkedout
04-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Seems to me that when Ron/Mike *brown team a few seasons ago* were on, they talked about sleep apnea and showed Ron sleeping with his mask thingy on.

Could be wrong, but thats as much as I remember.

Tomato
04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Yesterday, I was going to post that "the only good thing about Monday is that we are only 24 hours away from the next episode of TBL", but I did not get to it.
I am anxious to see what happens tonite. :-)

diamondgeog
04-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the responses. Curious as to why they don't make it more of a talking point. Being cynical here. But maybe because they don't think they can (NBC, Julian, et al.) make any money from pointing it out and discussing its importance. Maybe NBC needs to start making CPAP machines then they will talk about it...

BTW I don't think it would be useful to make it the sleep apnea show, but just as an important talking point for people's info. If nothing else it might help save some lives and certainly possibly improve many lives by getting info out there.

Asherdoodles87
04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
I just started watching the show. I had seen some clips of it before, but I had not seen an entire episode. I am now addicted. I have watched the 12 episodes so far for season 9 in like three days online. I loved it too when Melissa was eliminated. She deserved to go home. I also loved when she was told that the disadvantage didn't make a difference because she still would have fell below the yellow line.

saef
04-13-2010, 04:48 PM
You made me curious about this, diamondgeog, so I googled "Biggest Loser + CPAP" & actually got quite a few hits. It looks as though there is an Official CPAP Machine Provider for this show, Philips Respironics, and they have issued press releases about their involvement in the show. Dr. Huizenga appears also to have discussed use of CPAP & how contestants must go through a sleep lab before they appear on the show, and how often this results in a diagnosis of sleep apnea.

LitChick
04-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Do they not provide the women with decent exercise bras?!? Some of these girls are bouncing all over the place - it makes my chest hurt just watching them.

Watching them drag Bob and Jillian through the mud made me laugh out loud. Especially Jillian. :lol:

I have to say, I was sorry to see Drea go - she had further to go and I think Sam is pretty much there.

But take that for what it's worth since I'm probably one of the few that doesn't really care for Sam and Koli all that much. :shrug:

susieyarb
04-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Did anyone else find it odd that they didn't mention Drea's loss amount at home so far? Maybe I missed it?

And yes, LitChick, I was feeling so sorry for Victoria running and bouncing so terribly! I was thinking the same thing!

Viviane
04-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Do they not provide the women with decent exercise bras?!? Some of these girls are bouncing all over the place - it makes my chest hurt just watching them.

When Vicki was running on the treadmill, my DH said, "Doesn't that hurt?!" Most of the girls bounce a bit, but I felt bad for her.

Cool that Drea's now teaching a spinning class- pretty inspiring!

MindiV
04-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Think we're gonna have another male winner this season...just sayin'....

zinkemomx2
04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Did anyone else find it odd that they didn't mention Drea's loss amount at home so far? Maybe I missed it?

I don't think they announced the last 2-3 people that were sent home. It is starting to get closer to the finale so they aren't saying as much so that it is more of a shock for the finish.

Ilene
04-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Drea, looked really good and I was impressed by her dad's weightloss too, he was very handsome... Also happy that she has taken up spinning :bravo:

The BRAS!!! OMG I thought the girls were gonna slap her in the face :rofl:

Tomato
04-14-2010, 09:40 AM
You won't believe how incredibly stupid I am. Yesterday, I got a new issue of Oxygen so of course after I walked the dogs I plopped down and started to read the mag. I knew I read longer than I should have (exercise was waiting for me) and before the beginning of my workout I did not look at the clock on purpose. I did an hour-long workout with Jackie Wanrner (I have both her DVD's and I just adore her) and then I took a nice shower. When I got out of shower, I noticed it was 8:40 pm and I almost had a heart attack!!
I could not believe it - I missed full FORTY minutes of TBL!!!:censored::rollpin::rollpin::rollpin:

So I caught towards the end of the car key challenge (did I miss anything important in the first 40 minutes???). The moment Drea said that she needs a car because she has a 90-pound dog, I was rooting for her and I was so happy she won a car. (I loved her dog, by the way, and I was so happy for her when they showed at the end that she runs with him now. And oh-my-goodness, total YOU GO GIRL on becoming a spinning instructor!!!).

I have to say it bothers when Bob or Jillian (both) mention they want to concetrate on someone. I consider it a bit unfair to the rest of the contestants, it should be the same chance for everyone.

When I watched Vicky run on the TM, I thought "OUCH!!! That must hurt!!!"
I could not believe it. I would imagine that the contestants have to bring their own underwear and it would not surprise me if they did not have a good sports bra - none of them exercised prior to the show so maybe they would not even know what to get, but I would have imagined that they would take the ladies to a good bra store so that they can get a good supportive anti-bounce bra. :?:

I am starting to get tired of O'Neal and Sunshine; I find that they are in advantage since they have each other and I just could not stand Sunshine moping during the entire weigh in.

Big kudos to Nuclear Hair for running 5 miles! That is HUGE, even the initial 3 miles were an amazing result for somebody of his physique.

I thought Sam would be sent home, because he is clearly the biggest threat. I felt for Drea, perhaps for the first time during the show, because she seemed to have found a purpose in all this, and it took her much longer than to the others, and now she had to leave. But, obviously, she continues working on herself so I am keen to see her final transformation at the finale.

Ashley will be drop-dead-gorgeous if she sheds all the excess weight. She is starting to have such an hourglass figure! She will be a Barbie doll, with her big eyes and a nice mouth.

blueridgegirl
04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah, it was awesome to see Michael run the 5 miles - I recently ran 5 miles w/out stopping on a treadmill, and it was a huge accomplishment. He's WAY bigger than me so that is pretty amazing.

I ditto what has been said re the CPAP - unless they get some sort of product placement $ I don't think apnea will be featured on the show.

Was anyone else sort of like, 'WTF?' with Suze Orman on the show and talking about finances? I mean, I get that it's not just about weight loss, it's about getting your whole life together, but still. Kinda weird. I missed the beginning and started watching after she had already been introduced, so maybe they were able to tie in it somehow.

And yes, a good sports bra is worth it's weight in gold - I'm only a 38 B or C, and some of these girls are much bigger, so, yeah, somebody help them out!!!

QuilterInVA
04-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Diamondgeog, there are many conditions that could be talked about besides sleep apena that are just as or even more important. Diabetes, heart disease, thyroid disease, asthma, COPD, etc. Biggest Loser isn't a medical show and most people don't want it to be. Also, CPAP isn't the only machine for it. Based on other health problems coinciding with it, the BIPAP might be the machine of choice.

ennay
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
THANK YOU The bra thing was my big takeaway last night too. As I was doing intervals on the treadmill this morning I was thinking "Dear god, I hope my boobs arent bouncing like that". But I have good bras.

Seriously, they should be sued for not providing decent bras. They must not have a sponsor yet.

I'm actually surprised a shoe company hasn't become one of their product placements. How are their marketing departments missing getting on the TBL bandwagon ? Bob could push proper footwear for working out so easy.

The bra one could be good.

Jillian "Victoria, lets talk. One of the reasons it is hard for you to sprint is you are lacking proper support. Your posture is being affected and that makes it difficult to breathe, not to mention the black eye's you are receiving from boobie backlash. Enell can help you run faster and lose more weight"

Victoria: "Ok thanks Jill! I can totally feel the difference and as soon as I scarf down my subway I am back at those sprints"

It's not like they shy away from showing the ladies in just a bra anyway.

I can see it now

shoeluver67
04-14-2010, 11:30 AM
i'm with you blueridgegirl...i don't really understand the point of having Suze Orman come on that show, other than they put her on to plug her show on Saturdays. That is actually one thing about that show that i cannot STAND and it is getting increasingly worse...the PLUGS. OMG it is OUT of control! the Ziploc bags, Extra gum, Subway, Total Ceral, now Madza??? that show is becoming one big long commercial!

saef
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who watched last night's episode thinking: "Enell them! Enell them! RIGHT NOW!"

And I related so much, I started hunching my shoulders forward self-protectively, like an adolescent girl with brand new ones just starting to bud that she doesn't want to get teased about.

Last year or the year before, when Jillian hosted her radio show, I think she answered a question from a caller about the sports bras used on the "Biggest Loser." She could not remember the brand name but said they were pretty good ones. The caller was actually admiring how well they worked.

To be sure, I had also wondered that, since I've seen plenty of Last Chance Workouts and Challenges in which such disruptive bouncing did not happen. Their bras performed well.

So what happened last night???

saef
04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
As for the Suze Orman thing -- much of which I missed as I moved back & forth between "Idol," as "Biggest Loser" has been slowly losing me this season -- I believe Suze thinks that weight issues & financial issues may be two manifestations of the same problem. Which is, sort of wandering through life, day to day, without planning, without thoughts of consequences or anything much beyond the immediate future. And that makes sense to me. Did the show fail to spell that out?

ennay
04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
I think the show covered the Suze Orman thing ok, although last year I happened to see the Suze Orman episode where she talked about being on biggest loser there. Then she explained it better. That when you take control of your life you take control of all aspects and when you lose control of your life you lose control of all aspects.

I've also seen her talk on other shows about clutter and finances. That people with neat drawers have their finances in order.

I agree. Right now my life is in chaos and my clutter is in chaos, and my weight is in chaos and my finances are in semi-chaos but would be in total chaos except I have set up safeguards to prevent that.

I am hoping she spent more time on the ranch than we saw and was able to instill that a little bit. Because I do think it would be very hard to have your finances in chaos and go home and maintain.

Although I wasnt so sure on the "Sunshine has the best FICO score" part. I know a lot of people her age have horrendous debt, but from what the show says she still pretty much is dependent on her dad and lets him run her life and take care of her. So does what is essentially a dependent minor (in behavior) with a decent score show good control over her finances, or such a lack of independence that it is as out of control as a bad score.

Violin Jenn
04-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I have to say it bothers when Bob or Jillian (both) mention they want to concetrate on someone. I consider it a bit unfair to the rest of the contestants, it should be the same chance for everyone.

I often wonder if they rotate focusing on certain contestants and we just don't see it.

When I watched Vicky run on the TM, I thought "OUCH!!! That must hurt!!!"
I could not believe it. I would imagine that the contestants have to bring their own underwear and it would not surprise me if they did not have a good sports bra - none of them exercised prior to the show so maybe they would not even know what to get, but I would have imagined that they would take the ladies to a good bra store so that they can get a good supportive anti-bounce bra. :?:

OMG yes! I have to wear 2 sports bras at time to prevent that.

I am starting to get tired of O'Neal and Sunshine; I find that they are in advantage since they have each other and I just could not stand Sunshine moping during the entire weigh in.

They are getting on my nerves! And her crying EVERY SINGLE EPISODE! Suck it up Sunshine!

Big kudos to Nuclear Hair for running 5 miles! That is HUGE, even the initial 3 miles were an amazing result for somebody of his physique.

I agree! Awesome for him, that's a huge accomplishment on it's own never mind for someone of his physique.

That scene with the contestants dragging Bob and Jillian through the mud made me laugh out loud! :rofl: The look of fear on Jillian's face was PRICELESS!!! :D And of course loved her wrath at the last chance workout.:devil:

It was great to see Drea doing well. Her dad looked so good and healthy too! I think being at home may help her start losing bigger numbers again. The stress of being on the ranch and wondering if she did enough or will she be going home may have stressed her enough to affect her weight loss there. Loved seeing her run with her dog!

diamondgeog
04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Diamondgeog, there are many conditions that could be talked about besides sleep apena that are just as or even more important. Diabetes, heart disease, thyroid disease, asthma, COPD, etc. Biggest Loser isn't a medical show and most people don't want it to be. Also, CPAP isn't the only machine for it. Based on other health problems coinciding with it, the BIPAP might be the machine of choice.

Ahh but you are actually making my point. First all those conditions you mentioned can be seriously interlinked with untreated sleep apnea.

Second almost all of those conditions have a lot of press about them already. Yet many people are only vaguely aware of sleep apnea.

Third like another poster I also googled sleep apnea and biggest loser and some links said that some years every single one of the contestants is being treated for sleep apnea. Now not every single one of them is going to have diabetes, heart disease, etc. But if every single on of them is being treated for sleep apnea, don't you think that should be brought up? Also I bet NONE of them would actually lose the weight they are losing WITHOUT being treated for sleep apnea. In fact the benefits of the exercise in large part only get translated to your body if you are having a good night's sleep.

Lastly BIPAP is just a version of CPAP. There are some dental applicances and even surgery for sleep apnea. But by far the first and most used treatment is CPAP.

The point is, really not talking about it is a shallow, money-driven decision. I will admit I do not have much respect for Biggest Loser overall. It is using weight loss to make a profit for everyone involved. If they cared, they would talk about sleep apnea. There is some good stuff but it is wrapped in profit, profit, profit, and of course the absurd amounts of weight loss which are a) impossible unless under extreme combination of circumstances that no one in the real world could duplicate, and b) probably unhealthy to lose so much so fast.

Not saying that being overweight is healthy, of course. But the weight loss is extreme and I bet many contestants do not keep it off.

Eliana
04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Ennay, you must be one of their in-show-commercial writers! You sounds just like one. :D :rofl: (I hate those! You can spot them a mile away!)

My beef with the Suze Orman thing was that, to me, it seems to send the message that people who carry weight also carry debt and that there is a direct correlation. Therefore, fat people are poor.

bunnythesAINT
04-14-2010, 03:11 PM
i'm with you blueridgegirl...i don't really understand the point of having Suze Orman come on that show, other than they put her on to plug her show on Saturdays. That is actually one thing about that show that i cannot STAND and it is getting increasingly worse...the PLUGS. OMG it is OUT of control! the Ziploc bags, Extra gum, Subway, Total Ceral, now Madza??? that show is becoming one big long commercial!
They've made a few pretty subtle but the ziploc bags and there was a blackberry one that made me laugh because it was SO obvious and I'm not a fan of that. "On my BLACKBERRY..." "These ZIPLOC" etc. I understand why they do it, they need money , but if there was a bit more you know...subtly to it, it would be more enjoyable.

PopcornGal
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Ennay- thanks for the great parody of TBL not-so-subtle sponsor endorsements. It made me laugh as those totally annoy me too.

Tomato
04-14-2010, 04:23 PM
But if every single on of them is being treated for sleep apnea, don't you think that should be brought up? Also I bet NONE of them would actually lose the weight they are losing WITHOUT being treated for sleep apnea. In fact the benefits of the exercise in large part only get translated to your body if you are having a good night's sleep.

No, I don't think it should be brought up. Like it was already said, this is not a show about medical issues per se. I think everybody is, to a larger or lesser degree, aware of the fact that excess weight is linked with multiple health problems. Unless the medical condition of the contestants is prohibitive of them performing the exercise, it usually is not mentioned (or perhaps it is mentioned but it is not the most prominent piece of information). I think I would like TBL a lot loss if the show turned into discussion of medical issues, I am sure there are better venues for that.
Clearly, you have personal interest in sleep apnea and if think it should be discussed on the show, you should write the producers of the show. I am not interested in seeing it on the show.
Not that I don't know anything about it. CPAP machines are not the answer or solution to everyone's sleep apnea; my boyfriend suffered from a rather serious one and he needed not one but two surgeries to have it fixed.

The point is, really not talking about it is a shallow, money-driven decision. I will admit I do not have much respect for Biggest Loser overall. It is using weight loss to make a profit for everyone involved. If they cared, they would talk about sleep apnea. There is some good stuff but it is wrapped in profit, profit, profit, and of course the absurd amounts of weight loss which are a) impossible unless under extreme combination of circumstances that no one in the real world could duplicate, and b) probably unhealthy to lose so much so fast.

Of course it's wrapped in profit - like any other show. If it the program did not make money it would be cancelled.
Yes, it's true that you would not lose the same amount of weight under normal circumstances (who has time to be in the gym for 6 hours a day?) but hopefully nobody is attempting the same weigh loss without medical supervision etc. And yes, I agree with you that it is not healthy to lose that much that fast, but that is why they under medical supervision and have a whole bunch of people (that we don't even know about) around.
But mainly, I think the show sends a very important message to ordinary people like you and me, a message that IT IS NOT LATE and that YOU CHANGE YOUR LIFE AROUND - even if your weight exceeds 500 lbs. The show is literally saving lives - I wonder what would be the total amount of weight loss achieved, just by being influenced by the TBL, if it was possible to collect the information about the collective weight loss. I don't even know if the show is aired in other countries (other than Canada) but there was an Australian version of TBL but if we look only at its impact in North America, it's huge. And we really need it, as a fast gratification, fast food nation with aversion to physical activity. It's getting worse with each generation.

diamondgeog
04-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Very good points and I stand (at the moment sit) corrected. Everything is interconnected and someone could have a heart condition that is an obstacle to losing weight, or knee problems, or whatever.

It just seems a good and correct venue to talk about sleep apnea. Especially when they now seem to be treating almost all of the contestants for it. I would hate to have a weight loss show where they aren't talking about something fundamental to address in order for people to lose weight. Or at least some of the audience and appreantly most of the contestants.

Hun.e.B
04-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone in getting sick of O'Neil and Sunshine! I think its great that they are close but that girl needs to stand on her own 2 feet for once in her life or she's never going to get anywhere. Also, Oneil does NOTHING for himself...NOTHING. I dont think its healthy and I dont see him being successful if he cant do a single thing for himself, make himself and his health a priority. sunshines attitude during the weighin was just awful. She was waiting for daddy to make it better.

The Suzy Orman stuff really irritated me. I do believe that all aspects of your life are interrelated. You've got to have total wellness all areas of your life. But, she was all but saying if you get out of debt you'll be thin. And I'm sorry but debt is not the source of all peoples weight gain. So basically if I tell everyone how much debt I have....I'll magically be thin!! SWEET! oye! and what about the other issues?

zinkemomx2
04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biggest_Loser:_Couples_3)

current percentages as of figures listed on wiki for 4/13 episode

Ashley 31%
Daris 34.7 currently in the lead on campus
Koli 33
Michael 31
O'Neal 28.5
Sam 32.3
Sunshine 30.2
Victoria 25.4

Andrea 25.5%
Melissa 24.9%
Stephanie 25.0
Lance 24.9
Cheryl 22.5
Miggy 20.4
Darrell 25.2
John 17.6
Cerita 17.0
Migdalia ?
Marie 20.3
Patti 18.9
James 14.8

bunnythesAINT
04-15-2010, 01:03 PM
The Suzy Orman stuff really irritated me. I do believe that all aspects of your life are interrelated. You've got to have total wellness all areas of your life. But, she was all but saying if you get out of debt you'll be thin. And I'm sorry but debt is not the source of all peoples weight gain. So basically if I tell everyone how much debt I have....I'll magically be thin!! SWEET! oye! and what about the other issues?
Like teenagers who are over weight, little kids etc, they don't have any money problems so what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

susieyarb
04-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Zinke: I'm sad to see that James and John have lost so little at home.

zinkemomx2
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM
The at home contestants are as of week 10 3/23 episode when they all came back for the weigh in. Hopefully some of them went home and stepped things up when they saw how well others have done.

ETA - I just went and looked at the stats again. John went home week 5 and lost 22 pounds in the 5 weeks before they came back. James went home week 1 and lost 49 pounds in the 9 weeks. If you look at it that way they have both lost an average of 4+ and 5+ pounds respectively. That isn't that bad at all when you consider having to deal with LIFE.

ennay
04-15-2010, 05:32 PM

No, I disagree, she was not saying that at all. What she was saying is the type of behaviors that lead to out of control debt also lead to out of control weight. It isnt as if if you say how much debt you have you will be out of debt either. But unless you get to the root cause of EITHER problem you cant fix it. And just like weight is rarely just about food, debt is rarely just about money.

QuilterInVA
04-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Diamondgeog, if you look at my statistics you will see I started out weighing 356 pounds and I was never treated for sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is not going to get viewers interested and it is certainly possible to lose large amounts of weight without being treated for it. If you are interested in it, fine, but don't expect 90% of the viewers not to fall asleep when if BL starts talking about it.

Hun.e.B
04-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Suzi picked the winner based on credit score. I get what YOU are saying Ennay but Suzi didnt translate that way. At least not to me. I completely understand total wellness and it involves much more than debt. Not all fat people have out of control debt...I dont, I dont have credit cards and I dont spend uncontrollably. So I dont relate to what she's saying at all.

I could tell Danny was gonna be a winner early on, I think about when all the contestants went home, he and his family worked together, stayed home to cook, and the other contestants went out and had their greasy fatty foods. Danny just 'got it" the healthy lifestyle just clicked. THATS what made him a winner, not his credit score.

diamondgeog
04-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Diamondgeog, if you look at my statistics you will see I started out weighing 356 pounds and I was never treated for sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is not going to get viewers interested and it is certainly possible to lose large amounts of weight without being treated for it. If you are interested in it, fine, but don't expect 90% of the viewers not to fall asleep when if BL starts talking about it.

LOL. I don't know if you were trying to be ironic or not. Yeah 90% of the viewers would fall asleep because most of them probably have sleep apnea.

And great for you that you never got treated and lost weight. Not everyone overweight will have it. I went from a high of 330 to around 240 without being treated. BUT apprarently most of the contestants do and they are being treated for it. So if nothing else they should mention that.

Like I said I never respected Biggest Loser much in the first place. And I guess people who watch it for their weight loss information, well it is what it is. I would hope most people would have a lot more sources of info than just Biggest Loser, and if they choose not to, well that is their choice.

Viviane
04-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Jillian "Victoria, lets talk. One of the reasons it is hard for you to sprint is you are lacking proper support. Your posture is being affected and that makes it difficult to breathe, not to mention the black eye's you are receiving from boobie backlash. Enell can help you run faster and lose more weight"

Victoria: "Ok thanks Jill! I can totally feel the difference and as soon as I scarf down my subway I am back at those sprints"

:rofl: Hilarious!

Viviane
04-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Like teenagers who are over weight, little kids etc, they don't have any money problems so what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

That's probably because kids/teens don't have the financial responsibilities adults have. How much trouble can you get into when someone else pays to feed/clothe/house you and your buying power is limited by your weekly allowance?
What Suze was talking about is that the mental/emotional state that exists for someone to become obese often impacts their financial wellbeing, as well. She's not saying that all fat people are financially irresponsible or that all people who are financially irresponsible are fat, just that there's frequently a relationship. But, one is not conditional on the other and she didn't claim this as the case. She never implied that fixing your finances will make you magically thinner, but if your finances are a mess, the stress may cause you to eat...you get fat, etc. It's not revolutionary stuff, chaos in one part of your life often spills into other areas.
;)

ennay And just like weight is rarely just about food, debt is rarely just about money.

Completely agree.

Eliana
04-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I just don't like that this is just another stereotype to throw at people who are fat. Now we're fat, lazy and poor. :(

And honestly, I didn't take away that message from it, but some people did and I think that's sad.

Viviane
04-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Eliana-

I hear ya ;)
I definitely wouldn't want people to get that feeling from the show, either. Maybe they just need to do a better job of explaining why Suze comes in (other than for cross-promotion!).

Eliana
04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Exactly my thought! Viviane I felt like YOU explained the point very well, but it did not come across that way.

Viviane
04-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Exactly my thought! Viviane I felt like YOU explained the point very well, but it did not come across that way.

Hun.e.B
04-16-2010, 12:09 PM

I agree!! And Ennay too!

love114
04-18-2010, 02:32 PM

Glad I'm not the only one! They are quite annoying, crying every episode! And O'Neal saying he's doing it all for Sunshine (like winning that car)...you should be doing it for you!! They're just annoying to watch..I tune them out lol

RayStar
04-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm sick of the weeping and sobbing by the contestants.

MindiV
04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Is it annoying that they're weepy? Sure. It gets on my nerves a lot sometimes (when I'm not fast forwarding through all the product placements).

But I can't sit here and say I wouldn't do the same thing. I mean...heck, I only had 80 pounds to lose when I started, and cried and whined about that a LOT - and that's WITH the support of my friends and family. So I can totally understand being thrust into a new environment, working out hours a day, eating relatively little for the amount of working out I'm doing, playing a nonstop mind game with other people and trying to win money. I'd probably cry too...

Tomato
04-20-2010, 11:47 AM
I can certainly understand that they would get emotional ... everybody would; but I guess there are some limits to my tolerance. For example, in Season 5, it was Mark (the older of the two brothers - Mark and Jay) and in the last few eppisodes he simply could not make a single statement without breaking into tears. That was a bit too much. And especially for a man. (It's not that I believe in "men don't cry" but he just turned into such a sissy).
And I would definitely understand if Sunshine cried because at the end of the weigh in she was below the yellow line - but she starting moping right the moment she was weighed (as the first person). It's hard to put my finger onto it - it's not just the crying, I think (at least in my case) it goes hand in hand with how much I like the person, how much I can relate to her/him. Sunshine is not one of my favourites so I guess her crying was getting to me a bit more than it would have with somebody else.
I found it completely appropriate that Drea shed some tears once she was eliminated - but she did not mope for an entire hour before that (at least as much as we could see).

And I am saying all this not to argue with Mindi - I hope it does not come across as such - I am just trying to explain how I see things.

Cali Doll
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
WTF, Koli??

...and why is Sam allowing him to do this? Surely they know the emotional impact of binging like that...??

Cali Doll
04-20-2010, 08:28 PM
The show is only half over and I can't help thinking that Sam is using Koli. Koli is a lot bigger than Sam...why in the world would Sam let him eat like that just to keep him (Sam) there??

How stupid of Koli and selfish of Sam!

I wonder if I'll feel differently after the show ends...

trekkiegirl
04-20-2010, 10:28 PM
At this point I'm hoping the final four are Daris, Mike, Ashley and O'Neal. I'm so ready for grey team and Sunshine to go home.

All that talk over the weeks from grey team about not playing the game. Jillian was right--Sam doesn't need to be there. Not only is he skinny but he knows what he has to do to stay that way and he has the drive. He doesn't need to be there anymore and to say that falling below the line with O'Neal would be the worst case scenario...if he were really as noble as he sets himself up to be and it had come to that, he should have told his cousin to send him home, end of story. And all Koli really seems to care about is confetti. He's gameplaying. He admitted last week he doesn't track his calories and I'm thinking he's thinking that he can eat whatever he wants and he can just go work it off and kick it up a notch. It seems like that's the biggest lesson he's learning.

Sunshine lost great amounts of weight most weeks, plus at home...she knows exactly what to do, too. I'm really hoping these teams/the quartet starts getting dissolved the next couple of weeks. And I hope the others start getting past the "Sam inspires me" stuff to realizing Sam is doing whatever it takes to stay there, at their expense.

I wonder if anything is going on with Mike's grandmother. They don't mention it anymore. I still think it was weird for Maria to want to come back to the ranch when it seemed like her mother was on her deathbed.

I wouldn't be surprised next week if there's another scene of O'Neal watching the door to see if Sunshine returns.

MindiV
04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
All that talk over the weeks from grey team about not playing the game. Jillian was right--Sam doesn't need to be there. Not only is he skinny but he knows what he has to do to stay that way and he has the drive. He doesn't need to be there anymore and to say that falling below the line with O'Neal would be the worst case scenario...if he were really as noble as he sets himself up to be and it had come to that, he should have told his cousin to send him home, end of story. And all Koli really seems to care about is confetti. He's gameplaying. He admitted last week he doesn't track his calories and I'm thinking he's thinking that he can eat whatever he wants and he can just go work it off and kick it up a notch. It seems like that's the biggest lesson he's learning.

100% agreed - you took the words out of my mouth!!

Same on the "Sam inspires me" stuff. I mean...it's all fine and well to have someone who pushes you. But if you HAVE to have Sam there to continue being successful, then you're screwed when you go home to your Sam-free life.

I HATED the fact that Koli still lost double digits after eating 5,000 calories or whatever it was. Seriously? He's currently my least favorite of all.

I also don't like it when they do challenges like that. So many of these people have problems with binges (Vicky admitted that she does). It seems like psychological torment to put them in a room and encourage them to stuff themselves. I'm glad Koli is the only one who did it.

And Vicky looked GREAT! Maybe at home works better for her than the ranch. Novel idea. I like that someone couldn't lose really at ALL at the ranch, but is dropping pounds left and right at home. Usually it's the opposite. Just shows it can be done without the help of super trainers and a controlled environment.

Ilene
04-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Agree with everything said about Koli and Sam...

I was super impressed with Vicky's mom's progress at home... She looked awesome!!!!

Tomato
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I see things a bit differently. I actually don't mind the food challenge, I think it is a good challenge. After all, they will be facing the 'bad stuff' all over the place when they return from the ranch. And it's interesting to see what they would choose, whether to not jeopardize their weight loss or wanting the elimination vote so badly. It was interesting though, and somewhat disappointing, that both people who went for the food, i.e. Koli and O'Neal, did it to help not themselves, but their loved ones.

And I have to say KUDOS to Koli for actually shedding 10 lbs in spite of having eaten all the crap. I don't blame him for not tracking his calories - I have never counted my calories either and I don't track how many calories I burn through exercise. I have to say I was quite impressed how very accurately the other contestants estimated the caloric value of what they chose in the food room. But was I the only one who wondered why they had to eat standing? They could have been provided a chair.

Maybe Sam is selfish, but in the light of him not losing anything last week I could see how he worried that this would be his last week. And correct me if I am wrong, but did not Koli actually lose MORE than Sam so far? I believe they said that Koli lost 133 pounds and Sam lost 120 pounds (I believe that was still before the final weigh in). Yes, i am sure Sam knows exactly what he needs to do when off the ranch, but heck, they ALL KNOW this far in the game. (And if they don't, they will likely never get it).
And you all know that O'Neal would have sacrificed himself without blinking his eye to help Sunshine stay, and she knows it too, and yet you don't seem to think SHE is selfish, too?

I could nnot understand though why Koli voted Vicki off. He said something that plan A was to protect Sam, plan B was to protect O'Neal (I think, at least - sorry, my boyfriend had the nerve to call in the middle of TBL!!!) and plan C was to protect himself. How is he protecting himself by keeping Sunshine in the game? She is a bigger threat than Vicki. Their stupid alliences.
Grrrr, another week for Sunshine. I was so hopeful she would get the boot.

And perhaps you will see me as insensitive but I was annoyed with them showing the pictures of O'Neal's late brother twice, for a fairly long moment. Yes, he died, it was a big blow to O'Neal, I get it, but I am not watching the show to watch the relatives. I was impressed though with O'Neal's weight loss in spite of his injury.

bunnythesAINT
04-21-2010, 09:26 AM
^
That's what I thought, too but I knew he would keep Sunshine in the end.

gardend1va
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Wow, I know that these contestants signed away their privacy as soon as they got cast for a reality show, but the cameras following O'Neal while he and Jillian had that grief-fueled walk made me feel like a dirty voyeur. That was such a sad, private moment with some real, raw emotions. I didn't feel like I had a right to witness it.

Hun.e.B
04-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Tomato I agree with everything you said!

Gardendiva...I felt the same way!

trekkiegirl
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
And I have to say KUDOS to Koli for actually shedding 10 lbs in spite of having eaten all the crap. I don't blame him for not tracking his calories - I have never counted my calories either and I don't track how many calories I burn through exercise.

But you're not on a weight-loss show, taking a very coveted spot, with Bob & Jillian on your back and a BodyBugg on your arm. I would have been interested to see him admit to Jillian and Bob that he's not tracking his calories when they've given him the tools to do exactly that. Remember how mad they got at Tracey last season when they took the time to talk to her and she turned around and did the opposite, like when she accepted the temptation to not have the trainers for a week? Jillian was ready to go off on Koli when she found out how many calories he ate but she reigned it in. I just find it kind of funny that a few weeks ago Koli was disgusted at Mike for playing the game and stacking his team and now Koli played the game to gain advantage for his team. Likewise, when he told Victoria she needed to pick it up when he recently had a couple of mediocre weeks for weight loss plus gorged himself.
I don't care for Sunshine either. I said I'm ready for her to go home. I think, in her head, she's already claimed the winner's spot--and it's gotten reinforced by Jillian and Suze--which, in a way, I suppose could be looked at positively since she didn't believe in herself before--but I don't know...everybody says they deserve to be there, deserve to win, etc., but, lately, coming from Sunshine there's almost a spoiled child quality of "I'm gonna beat you at this thing and if I don't get my way, I'm gonna cry."

Tomato
04-21-2010, 07:16 PM
I did not watch the previous season at all (I don't know how I did not know TBL was on at all) so I don't know anything about Tracey. Even with this season, there are gaps in what I know as I missed the first few episodes and even when I started to watch, I had a class at the gym that ended at 8:30 so by the time I got home, the first 45 minutes were over. And my BF often calls when I am watching, so I keep missing chunks here and there.
Yes, I agree, I am not a show where the contestants are supposed to track calories. I have to say I did not even know that Koli doesn't track his calories - I only found out because it was mentioned here earlier today or last night.
But, yes, you have a point.

I also agree with you re what you said about Sunshine, that she has already claimed the first prize in her mind and especially regarding the spoiled child yadi yadi yada - well said.

Cali Doll
04-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Wow, I know that these contestants signed away their privacy as soon as they got cast for a reality show, but the cameras following O'Neal while he and Jillian had that grief-fueled walk made me feel like a dirty voyeur. That was such a sad, private moment with some real, raw emotions. I didn't feel like I had a right to witness it.

I completely agree.

And I happen to think Sunny is selfish as well. She's got a childlike dependence on ONeal. I do still like her though. :D

jackie58
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
So many of you are saying exactly what I've been thinking. I feel guilty for having issues with the O'Neal and Sunshine drama each week. For some reason they really get on my nerves...All this, I am doing it for you. I guess one of the reasons this annoys me is that I know that this time I am losing weight for myself and that is the only way I am going to keep it off, so I guess that is one of the reasons they annoy me so.

As to Koli and Sam. I really was cheering for them but lately it has been too much game play where they are concerned. I thought it was wrong to say the things he said about Vicki, if he has an alliance with Sunshine and O'Neal just be upfront about it. Everyone put Melissa down for playing the game, but at least she was honest with her intentions.

Now I really am cheering for Darius and also for Michael. Darius has been so consistent and doesn't seem like he gets pulled into the drama. Michael has come so far, it is easy to be excited about the person he is becoming.

blueridgegirl
04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
gardendiva - I agree, didn't feel comfortable watching him break down over his brother's death. Some things are just private.

Seems like Vicki did awesome at home - and Koli telling her to work harder really served to motivate her to dedicate herself a lot. Size 12 - wow! Can't wait to see her at the finale.

And I had never realized Sam's height - 6'3" and under 250! I mean, he's basically there, right? Don't know off the top of my head what a reasonable BMI is for that height but he can't be far...

Jackie - I agree Daris and Michael are great to watch.

MakingSkinny
04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
And I had never realized Sam's height - 6'3" and under 250! I mean, he's basically there, right? Don't know off the top of my head what a reasonable BMI is for that height but he can't be far...

Jackie - I agree Daris and Michael are great to watch.

I was surprised, too, when I heard just how tall Sam is. A healthy weight range for a man that height, according to most of the online charts is between 160-200lbs. I was really surprised, because to look at Sam, I'd never think he has another 50lbs to lose.

zinkemomx2
04-22-2010, 07:44 PM
week 14 episode 4/20

Ashley 32.1%
Daris 36.7
Koli 35.5
Michael 31.9
O'Neal 30.6
Sam 33.9
Sunshine 30.5

At home
Victoria 25.7%
Andrea 25.5
Melissa 24.9
Stephanie 25.0
Lance 24.9
Cheryl 22.5
Miggy 20.4
Darrell 25.2
John 17.6
Cerita 17.0
Migdalia ?
Marie 20.3
Patti 18.9
James 14.8

Ilene
04-22-2010, 10:09 PM
zinkemomx2 , that's great info, thank you!

fatmad
04-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I could nnot understand though why Koli voted Vicki off. He said something that plan A was to protect Sam, plan B was to protect O'Neal (I think, at least - sorry, my boyfriend had the nerve to call in the middle of TBL!!!) and plan C was to protect himself. How is he protecting himself by keeping Sunshine in the game? She is a bigger threat than Vicki. Their stupid alliences.
Grrrr, another week for Sunshine. I was so hopeful she would get the boot.

I think VIcki just wasn't there long enough to build alliances and make the deep friendships that the rest have. I would have expected her to go pretty quick if she fell below the line. Now that we are getting down to brass tacks I am getting interested again.

fatmad
04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
I was surprised, too, when I heard just how tall Sam is. A healthy weight range for a man that height, according to most of the online charts is between 160-200lbs. I was really surprised, because to look at Sam, I'd never think he has another 50lbs to lose.

BMI is not accurate anymore when you have significant muscle mass, which he does have now. Also, he may have some skin harvesting surgery after the show, and will drop a few pounds as a result. But he has very little weight to lose now, I would think he is within goal for body fat percentage.

MakingSkinny
04-23-2010, 05:21 PM
BMI is not accurate anymore when you have significant muscle mass, which he does have now. Also, he may have some skin harvesting surgery after the show, and will drop a few pounds as a result. But he has very little weight to lose now, I would think he is within goal for body fat percentage.

huh, I didn't know that. Interesting, thanks!

Tomato
04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
BMI is not accurate anymore when you have significant muscle mass.

Yes, that is absolutely correct. I once read somewhere that if you went by BMI, Arnold Schwarzenegger would have been considered, at the height of his bodybuilding career, obese. How ridiculous is that? I consider BMI totally meaningless.

BTW, I tried to google up Arnie and BMI and I came up with this blurb (http://www.docshop.com/2008/04/08/arnold-schwarzenegger-is-obese-problems-with-body-mass-index-bmi-calculations/).
Also, this one (http://www.menscience.com/Fight-Your-Bulge-with-Brains-_ep_106.html).

Skyra
04-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi, I've never posted in this thread before but I've watched all the episodes of this TBL season.

For weeks I've been wanting O'Neal to go home -- I'm so tired of his "I'm doing all this for Sunshine" nonsense. I think it really takes away from the intensely personal, learning-to-become-your-best nature of the journey. However, I have to say, this week I really respected O'Neal. I'm not sure I would have had the strength to keep on working out if a close family member had died. This morning I didn't feel like exercising, but after watching the episode, I thought, "If he can work out after his brother dies, there is NO reason I can't work out today." And I did work out, hard. So thanks, O'Neal. :dizzy:

I am so impressed with Koli's weight loss, despite his overeating. I do think that his strategy was misguided, though -- don't get me wrong, I have liked Sam from the beginning, but Sam looks like a normal weight to me. Let the people who really need it be at the ranch.

I feel sorry for Victoria, because I feel like the cameras portrayed her unfairly. I can't be sure, but I'm sure each contestant has their strong and weak moments and I just feel like in the past couple weeks they really focused on Victoria's weak moment an awful lot, which seems unfair. Good for her for going home and sticking it to Koli by losing the weight! She looks great.

fatBgone07
04-25-2010, 08:38 PM
I am amazed at Michael. I never freamed he would make it this far. He didnt work very hard when he first came to the ranch. I was amazed when he ran that night on the treadmill. WOW!! I am really pulling for Daris too. You can really see the difference inhis confidnece level. I can't wait for make over week though . Tht hair needs to go -Michael too!

ciecie
04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
i can hardly wait to see how victoria looks on the today show this coming tuesday morning.

Kimphin
04-27-2010, 08:44 AM
I believe that there is an alliance between gray and yellow teams (Sam, Koli, O'Neal and Sunny), which, at this point in the game, may be tough to beat. I have to say that I am rooting for Daris now. He seems to have stayed out of any drama.

ennay
04-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Oh there is definitely an alliance. When Koli said "what's best for me" it is clear. Now yellow knows he saved her.

I actually am not that bothered by Sunshines tears. I think she is an incredibly immature sheltered girl for 24 but that is her dad's fault not hers.

But the other thing is, I know that for some people tears do not mean what they mean for other people. I cry when I am angry, not when I am feeling scared or sad. Also, have you ever tried to work out at TBL level for even a day with TBL calories? What happens to your brain and your emotional self under those circumstances is bizarre. I've cried watching comedies under those circumstances.

I dont think ONeal is manipulative like Godfather Ron was with Mike so I dont mind him being all about Sunshine (except I think in the long run if she doesnt learn to break away from daddy she is going to struggle) . At least he is working and working hard.

I wonder if sunshine let the praise just take her off her drive. Doubt is a powerful motivator for some. Praise is a demotivator for me.

PeanutsMom704
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I think it's funny that people were so bothered by Koli eating the extra calories. I can't even begin to count all the posts on 3fc by people saying that they lose more after a cheat day - and since he's burning about 6000 calories a day with all that exercise, even 5000 calories worth of food was still a deficit for him.

I was shocked to hear him say to Suze that he hadn't been counting calories - I don't really believe it, actually. Maybe he wasn't keeping track of the specific calories but he was obviously watching his portions of very healthy foods. even with all the exercise, he wasn't losing the amount of food he's lost eating more than 2000 calories a day (high for the show, but since he's a big guy putting on lots of muscle, that's probably about as low as he could go to function at full capacity in the workouts).

I had been liking Sunshine but did feel "enough already" for last week's show. But I try to remember that she has no control over the editing and if they choose to focus on her to the point of annoyance, it's not really her fault. I'm sure any of them would be equally annoying if they had that much screen time.

I am interested in seeing if Ashley grows as a person with Drea gone - she does need to get stronger, and maybe this will be the catalyst for her.

Still not sure who will win, but I do hope that both Daris and Michael are around for makeover week - I think it's still not for another 2-3 weeks, so they've got some lbs to lose to make sure they are still there!

OrganizedChaos
04-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Still not sure who will win, but I do hope that both Daris and Michael are around for makeover week - I think it's still not for another 2-3 weeks, so they've got some lbs to lose to make sure they are still there!

I was thinking yesterday that they should have already had makeover week, and maybe they weren't doing it this season. Of course, I have only been watching TBL for 3 seasons so I could be off base here. I so badly want to see Daris and Mike after their make over.

gardend1va
04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Oh Jillian, please tell me more about this Walgreen's of which you speak. I have never heard of a, how you say, drug-store? I am intrigued! We don't have such places where I live.

Aclai4067
04-27-2010, 09:32 PM
OMG, the new show: Losing it with Jillian. Seriously?

Cali Doll
04-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Man, as much as he bugged me sometimes, O'Neal sure did make me cry like a baby.

You can tell everyone really respects him. He got lots of time at the end there.

Yay for makeover week!!! I can't wait to see Sunny's new look! ...and Daris! ...and Michael! I don't think Ashley needs a makeover.

Yay! So exciting!

Kimphin
04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Dh doesn't watch, but tonight he said to me in passing - that sheep-headed guy needs to cut his hair. I told him that they were probably waiting for makeover week - next week, YAY!

lookin at losin'
04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Just watched it for the first time tonight. I'm thrilled for the contestants. That is a lot of realllllllly hard work.

I have a hundred pounds to lose. I can't get over the fact that some of those people, like Michael, for instance lose so much in a week!!

What are your thoughts on this?

PeanutsMom704
04-27-2010, 11:10 PM
oh, cool, I didn't realize make over week was next week - can't wait!!

gardend1va
04-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Just watched it for the first time tonight. I'm thrilled for the contestants. That is a lot of realllllllly hard work.

I have a hundred pounds to lose. I can't get over the fact that some of those people, like Michael, for instance lose so much in a week!!

I think that the show is wonderful for showing people that weight loss is not just for "other people", and that every single person has the ability to make changes in their life. Unfortunately, the numbers that the contestants drop week after week is not a realistic expectation for regular people. The contestants are worked up to and sometimes over their physical limits, and injuries and adverse health reactions are somewhat common on the show. The contestants are pushed to lose extreme amounts of weight in relatively short periods of time in order to create "good tv", but it's not a good role model for regular people to follow in real life.

PeanutsMom704
04-27-2010, 11:14 PM

while they are on the show, losing weight is their full time job - they have all the time to devote themselves to careful food planning, and even more importantly, hours and hours of intense activity.

For most people, the formula is generally 80% food and 20% exercise. But they are in a unique situation and the amount of weight they can lose in a week is unique too.

So watch the show for inspiration, but don't compare yourself in terms of the amount you lose. You will still get there, one pound at a time!

Katieee
04-27-2010, 11:26 PM
The Walgreens thing was beyond tacky. Wow.

jackie58
04-28-2010, 01:42 AM
I agree about the Walgreen segment. It was such a "hoot", I almost rolled off my threadmill laughing when I watched that part. I really am glad that Darius, Ashley, and Michael have joined forces. They really seem to be good for one another.
Sunshine is such a pretty girl and so is Ashley. I can't wait to see what they do all of them for the makeover week, it really will be fun to watch. Michael and Darius could really be the two that change the most.

MindiV
04-28-2010, 08:29 AM

This is my BIGGEST gripe with the show. I've talked to several others around here who watch the show and it motivated them to try to lose weight...but when they weren't pulling double digit losses they got discouraged and quit. It's easy to tell yourself they're in a unique environment, and they are...but for a lot of people it's disappointing all the same. My ideal weight loss show would be a "real world" sort of thing, where they don't have access to trainers 24/7 and have to hold down full time jobs. THAT would really show that it IS possible for most of us.

EZMONEY
04-28-2010, 09:15 AM
.... My ideal weight loss show would be a "real world" sort of thing, where they don't have access to trainers 24/7 and have to hold down full time jobs. THAT would really show that it IS possible for most of us.

:) But MINDI who really wants to watch people on TV on their computers logging into 3FC? ;)

OrganizedChaos
04-28-2010, 09:54 AM
while they are on the show, losing weight is their full time job - they have all the time to devote themselves to careful food planning, and even more importantly, hours and hours of intense activity.

For most people, the formula is generally 80% food and 20% exercise. But they are in a unique situation and the amount of weight they can lose in a week is unique too.

So watch the show for inspiration, but don't compare yourself in terms of the amount you lose. You will still get there, one pound at a time!

These are my thoughts exactly. I began watching TBL during Season 7 and it intrigued me, but not enough to motivate me to get off my butt and drop the weight. During Season 8 I got my head on straight and started my own sensible plan. I have never compared my weight loss to theirs though because I am a full time working Mom with 3 kids and a DH that might as well be my 4th child, LOL. I count calories and exercise 5-6 days a week. I am happy with averaging 2 pounds a week and think this is a realistic goal for me. As long as you can take away from the show that you are not alone in your weight loss struggles and that it is possible to change then you have the tools to be successful.

Violin Jenn
04-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I was so glad to see O'Neal go home. It'll be interesting to see if Sunshine is able to stand on her own now that her dad is gone. She's been acting like a spoiled little girl! O'Neal looked great btw at home!

Mike was too funny trying to talk those calves into the pen. But OMG 15lbs off the ranch w/o much Bob and Jillian time! Way to go! He's really showing that he can do this in the real world.

Seeing Mike, Ashley and Daris band together was so good to see! Their alliance and that of Sunshine, Sam and Koli will be interesting to watch as things progress.

If any two contestants deserve make over week it's Mike and Daris! Those boys need a hair cut! So excited about that one!

I think Jillian's new show will be great!

Sheila53
04-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I'll be curious to see how they can improve on Ashley next week. She's already gorgeous! It will be nice, however, to see her in something besides workout clothes.

dewdrop1970
04-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Oh Jillian, please tell me more about this Walgreen's of which you speak. I have never heard of a, how you say, drug-store? I am intrigued! We don't have such places where I live.

:rofl:

Bring on the makeovers! Highlight of my week, for sure!

bunnythesAINT
04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I'll be curious to see how they can improve on Ashley next week. She's already gorgeous! It will be nice, however, to see her in something besides workout clothes.
She is really pretty! At the weigh-in I thought she looked really pretty. She's pretty stylish too (from what I saw when she went home).
I think the same thing with Sunshine and I want to see what they're going to do for Mike. He's honestly a handsome fellow and I've started to dig the fro.

ennay
04-28-2010, 04:38 PM
heh...my running board was all over the 21 minute 5K (That is flipping fast for someone who 3 months ago weighed whatever Daris weighed)

Then someone else found that on March 28th (that's probably after everyone was sent home right?) Daris ran a real official 5K in Oklahoma. 21:43 so definitely in the ball park.

He looks GOOD (http://www.backprint.com/view_user_event.asp?PID=bp%18yG&EVENTID=64591&PWD=&LAST=George&DIVISION=&BIB=1032)

saef
04-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Daris ran a 5K in just over 21 minutes??!!! [Very impressed. Even somewhat jealous.]

I'll start watching full episodes of this show again if Crystal Bowersox gets voted off Idol. Otherwise, I'll just tune in for the weigh-ins during the last hour.

Biggest Loser was inspirational for me when I was quite heavy & intimidated by the idea of going to the gym (though not by walking & jogging a little outside). I thought I was too fat to go use any kind of machines or equiipment. Seeing people larger than me going into the gym, working hard & succeeding was very motivational. I understood I couldn't achieve their rate of weight loss, since I have a job & etc., while their job on the ranch is weight loss. But I was glad to see fat people achieving certain physical feats. For that reason, I value it, though I've said here before that this show can also be very demeaning to the contestants & delights in capturing their looks of agony for our delectation.

zinkemomx2
04-28-2010, 05:46 PM
I am glad they fixed the show so Sunshine and O'Neal had an opportunity to go to the funeral. Getting them all off the ranch evened his playing field I think.

I was quite impressed when Daris said he was hoping to beat his personal best at the 5k of 21:?? That is awesome to come so far so quickly.

I fell asleep last night just as Sam was getting on the scale. Next thing I knew it was 12:30 and DH was walking in the door. I did catch the two minute clip off facebook so I was able to figure out what happened. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next week or two with Sam and Koli. How much longer can Sam really stay with barely any weight left to lose?

callie999
04-28-2010, 06:11 PM
This is my BIGGEST gripe with the show. I've talked to several others around here who watch the show and it motivated them to try to lose weight...but when they weren't pulling double digit losses they got discouraged and quit. It's easy to tell yourself they're in a unique environment, and they are...but for a lot of people it's disappointing all the same. My ideal weight loss show would be a "real world" sort of thing, where they don't have access to trainers 24/7 and have to hold down full time jobs. THAT would really show that it IS possible for most of us.

DietTribe on Lifetime was kind of like this - Comcast had it on demand too. It was much more realistic, even though they had monetary-ish incentives for certain milestones.

Tomato
04-29-2010, 12:43 PM
I have been so busy that I didn't have any time to follow up on our discussion until today.
I missed the first 15 minutes of the snow, so I am lost at the comments re Walgreen's - was it then?
I am very impressed with Nuclear Hair and Daris. Daris's results (in running) are simply amazing. I like the 'rodeo' challenge although I was worried about the calves. The poor things had to be stressed out by being chased around.

I can't even tell you how sick of Sunshine the Brat I am . Again her moping at the weigh in - "You ugly people lost more weight than me and so it's YOUR fault I am bellow the yellow line!". Ugh. I was so hoping she would get voted out - somebody outta do something about her eyebrows - but of course once it was O'Neal or her I knew right away that he would beg them to send him home.
She was bellow the yellow line twice, I am praying she falls bellow the yellow line again next week. I will be VERY upset if she wins.
I cannot believe the size of Sam's triceps. How come mine aren't growing as nicely? LOL

I can't wait for the makeover. Although I have to say that now that Daris lost the weight the hair doesn't look all that bad on him. I thought he looked really bad at the beginning, due to the fact how much fat was deposited in face and around his neck - he looked like he had no neck at all. He is shaping up very nicely. I bet he will be having a ball making up for all the lost years when no girls wanted to date him - there will be a line up to this door now. I think he is really a very nice guy, inside out.

SUNSHINE HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Hun.e.B
04-29-2010, 01:23 PM

:rofl:

Amarantha2
04-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Walgreen's, oddly enough, is my favorite store in life (I just like it), but that spot was incredibly lame in a series of lame BL product placement spots. Even Jillian seemed embarrassed.

trekkiegirl
04-30-2010, 12:46 AM
There are bonus videos up at NBC with some of the makeover show stuff. Michael has a bit of hard time of it because he's by himself in the Big & Tall store and they still can't find stuff in his size. :(

Sam's makeover is there, probably because, of all of them, his is the least surprising.

I've seen Michael's haircut on his FB page. Looks good. He's been pretty clean shaven all along, though, so we pretty much know what he'll look like.

Ali made a comment about not recognizing one of the people. I think that has got to be Daris. I think the curls are going to be history. Plus, he's grown that beard so we haven't really seen his thin face. :p I think he's going to be like Mike Morelli....going from this introverted guy to a cute babe magnet. ;) He'll be an option for girls, no doubt. :p

I don't have a good feeling about the weigh-in next week. Koli is going to drop a huge amount; Michael probably won't. It's weird that Daris is leading the pack in percentage because he seems to have to work so hard to eke out those fives and sevens--like he said about the challenges...he always has to work so hard just to keep up. Sam is all over the place--he can be really low or he can sweat out another good number.--I'm thinking he'll dip a little lower next week. Sunshine has been low for weeks and is probably due for a big number again. I'm surprised she hasn't lost a ton just from the tears. (I hated that Ashley's happiness had to be overshadowed by Sunshine the drama queen--nobody's going to hand her the win so just get over it! What is it with yellow shirts and crying women???).

I think if they both end up in the final four, it's going to be a real horserace between Daris and Koli. They are neck and neck now and Koli has more to lose than Daris does. If Michael is in it, he could be the dark horse, lose a ton at home and shock the heck out of everybody.

The ads within the show are getting so ridiculous. Heaven forbid we see them brushing their teeth or something in the bathroom, we'll start hearing about healthy toilet paper.

Violin Jenn
04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
SUNSHINE HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN to that!!! She certainly isn't acting like a 24year old woman, more like a 24month old baby!!

I'm having a hard time seeing her drop big number now that Daddy is gone. She's on her own, first for the first time in her life most likely. I think she's gonna stress. Mike, Daris and Ashley, if I remember correctly, all had a bad week of some sorts after their parents went home. She doesn't have the time to rebound that they did at this point in the show. She goes below the yellow line, Mike, Daris and Ashley I'm certain will send her home. It's their alliance vs. Sam, Koli, Sunshine.

I love makeover week!!!

jackie58
04-30-2010, 01:31 PM
You are right, I had forgotten how hard it was on Darius, Michael, and Ashley when their mothers went home. Sunshine will either have a great week or fall flat, I hope she grows stronger by herself, I think it will be a good experience for her to finally grow up.

ennay
04-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Walgreen's, oddly enough, is my favorite store in life (I just like it), but that spot was incredibly lame in a series of lame BL product placement spots. Even Jillian seemed embarrassed.

I hit fast forward as soon as she said "you can get your healthy snacks here". Seriously? If you are last ditch desperate and all supermarkets have been blown up.

gardenerjoy
05-01-2010, 12:17 PM
I hit fast forward as soon as she said "you can get your healthy snacks here". Seriously? If you are last ditch desperate and all supermarkets have been blown up.

OMG! Jillian said that? I watch a week late on the internet, so I hadn't seen that. I'm astounded. My very first step on my weight loss program was to follow the rule "No eating anything purchased from Walgreens." Those snacks account for at least half of my excess weight.

Amarantha2
05-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Lol, I used to use the candy aisles as a source of stress relief from the job.

OMG! Jillian said that? I watch a week late on the internet, so I hadn't seen that. I'm astounded. My very first step on my weight loss program was to follow the rule "No eating anything purchased from Walgreens." Those snacks account for at least half of my excess weight.

alyssarof2012
05-03-2010, 06:11 PM
This season is pretty awesome!
Anyone remember that talk she had with one of the trainers a few episodes back, and how she was going to be independent and worry about herself? Where is all of that? She's still so dependent on her dad. Which sucks for her now since he's gone. (Referring to Sunshine of course.)

I must have missed that episode where Jillian said WALGREENS was the place to get your healthy stuff.

Ilene
05-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I can't wait to see the makeovers tomorrow night :dance:

lora m
05-04-2010, 07:16 AM
This season is pretty awesome!
Anyone remember that talk she had with one of the trainers a few episodes back, and how she was going to be independent and worry about herself? Where is all of that? She's still so dependent on her dad. Which sucks for her now since he's gone. (Referring to Sunshine of course.)

I remember. I thought it was ridiculous at the time that Jillian believed that a short pep talk with her would stop the two of them being 'fused', to coin the psych-speak she loves to bandy around.

Tomato
05-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Me too, Ilene, me too!
Every week, I spend the entire Tuesday looking forward to 8 p.m. I am seriously addicted! :dizzy:

parkedout
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Me too. I was disgusted. She has truly turned into a marketing whore.:mad:

Me too! I love make over week. :D

Aclai4067
05-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I almost forgot make-over are tonight. I loved Koli's nerd-chic look. Daris looks so hot, but i do miss the hair. I love me some curls

RayStar
05-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Darius looked super sexy. LOL I could done without the concert.

mizski
05-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I was shocked that they were left to shop on their own. Sure, the gals had a clue but the guys...they really could have used more help. Koli looked sharp in his suit but when I saw Daris with that plaid over-shirt, well, he needed some help on how to look sharp. How come TBL didn't have Tim Gunn again for fashion makeovers or someone similar?

Everyone looked great. Daris and Sam were mega hot!

fatBgone07
05-04-2010, 11:59 PM
How about that ending? Did anyone have a clue about Sam and Stephanie? WOW - I'll say it again - WOW!!

I loved the change in Daris and Sunshine. However - Daris needs to keep his hair down or he looks ike a mop....

love114
05-05-2010, 01:47 AM
How about that ending? Did anyone have a clue about Sam and Stephanie? WOW - I'll say it again - WOW!!

I loved the change in Daris and Sunshine. However - Daris needs to keep his hair down or he looks ike a mop....

Yeah i was shocked by Stephanie and Sam, too. They really don't make it obvious when at the ranch lol. But very cute!!

And yes, I don't like that floppy bit to Daris' hair..lol but otherwise good makeover!

Moni28
05-05-2010, 04:13 AM
I think Mike looked really good! I was going to be a little upset if they kept Sam. I"m so glad they kept Mike, he needs it!

They all looked wonderful!

gardend1va
05-05-2010, 08:02 AM
I too am surprised that they let those poor folks wander into the fashion wilderness alone. Because most people, left to their own devices, have no idea how to pick clothes that are both flattering and fashionable for their bodies. Daris, for gosh sakes, looked like a lumberjack's mascot. Even the girls, despite looking gorgeous, picked outfits that were not flattering to them. However, I thought Koli totally rocked his adorable getup. Makeover week was fun, but I was hoping for a bit more fashion guidance for these people who have entirely new bodies to dress now.

fatklr
05-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Wow, Sam looked HOT!!! Daris looked handsome with his hair slicked back, but then when I saw him with his hair making him look like carrot top I was like NOOOOO!!! I really could have done without Ashanti's singing (or lack thereof.) I'm so glad Sam left and Michael stayed...it really should be about who needs the most help. Sam had just about reached his goal, and Mike still had a ways to go. I knew that Sunshine and (of course) Koli would pick Sam to stay because of alliances, and I knew that (the loners) Daris and Ashley would stick by Mike.

Ilene
05-05-2010, 09:21 AM
I did not realise that they were left on their own to shop :faint: WTF!!

Daris -- cute, but the plaid look ... NOT :nono:

I knew about Sam and Stephanie, but it was really cute to see them together, what a nice appartment!!

Tomato
05-05-2010, 09:23 AM
I started to laugh in minute 1 when I saw the prominently placed Cheerios box. LOL!

Otherwise - I agree with what has already been said.
I have never heard of Ashanti before but then I am not up to snuff when it comes to current singers and what not.
The "format" (for lack of a better word) of the makeover surprised me. Mind you, the last season (prior to this one) was Season 5, where they just let the contestants walk out on a sort of a runway in their new outfits. IMHO, that would have been enough. I find they did some serious stretching of time to fill up a 2 hour airing slot.

Nuclear Hair looks very good sans nuclear hair. I got very emotional when he said 180+ lbs gone and he is still shopping in the big guy store. But, he picked well and looked awesome.

Daris - I loved his short hair when it was all slicked back and then I almost fell off my chair when I saw him with the unruly mop. WTF??? He should have kept it very short. I have to say after he lost weight and his hair go so long I actually liked it on him (sheep or not).

Sunshine looked good (nice hair - but was it a wig or something? It looked like she had highlights but then back on the ranch she was back to the same old curls). Her dress though - serious flop. I just said it in the separate thread about her dress - I think her bottom part is still way to big for that type of a dress. The skirt only accentuated it and it was way too short. IMHO, of course.

Ashley did a bit better but only marginally. I would not have picked that outfit for her either. (Gardendiva, we should go shopping together!!!) :-)

Koli and Sam (THE hottest dude on the planet) looked good. I was in fact surprised that they look almost identical with such different parents. (I never knew Sam's mom was Caucasian). It was nice that they showed him with Stephanie, I was wondering if they will mention it. I hope their relationship will last and I wish them all the best.

Although I have always been rooting for Sam, I would have voted him off myself. There was no point of him staying any more and Nuclear Hair needs it.

By the way, I was SHOCKED that they ran at 9 mph on the treadmill!!!! I can't run at that speed, I would not last a minute. Wowza!!!

Violin Jenn
05-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Nuclear Hair looks very good sans nuclear hair. I got very emotional when he said 180+ lbs gone and he is still shopping in the big guy store. But, he picked well and looked awesome.

He stole the show for me. I wanted to just reach out and hug him when he was the Big and Tall store.:hug: He's gonna be hot at the finale!

Daris - I loved his short hair when it was all slicked back and then I almost fell off my chair when I saw him with the unruly mop. WTF??? He should have kept it very short. I have to say after he lost weight and his hair go so long I actually liked it on him (sheep or not).

He needs to keep that hair gelled down. Not lovin the Lyle Lovette look.:nono:

Sunshine looked good (nice hair - but was it a wig or something? It looked like she had highlights but then back on the ranch she was back to the same old curls). Her dress though - serious flop. I just said it in the separate thread about her dress - I think her bottom part is still way to big for that type of a dress. The skirt only accentuated it and it was way too short. IMHO, of course.

Agreed. Loved the hair, but that dress...not so much. A wrap dress flatters every body type, would have been better.

Ashley did a bit better but only marginally. I would not have picked that outfit for her either. Not sure what I would have put her in, but she's gonna look beautiful at the finale!

Koli and Sam (THE hottest dude on the planet) looked good. I was in fact surprised that they look almost identical with such different parents.

Koli's professor look was adorable! Sam looked amazing!

I was glad to see Sam go home, simply because like Jillian said recently, he's there, Sam's skinny. He has the tools and knows how to use them. Mike however, still needs a bit of TLC from Bob and Jillian. :hug: Confidence and learning how to push just a bit more are the biggest areas for improvement for him.

Next weeks also looks good!

Twilightwing
05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I have liked the grey team pretty much throughout the show, but i was very dissapointed in Sam last night. He knows he cant win the 'biggest loser' title, and he knows he is just about where he needs to be. i was really hoping that when he and michael fell below the yellow line, that he would say to send him home and that mike needed it more. that didnt happen... i lost some respect for him over that.

MindiV
05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I have liked the grey team pretty much throughout the show, but i was very dissapointed in Sam last night. He knows he cant win the 'biggest loser' title, and he knows he is just about where he needs to be. i was really hoping that when he and michael fell below the yellow line, that he would say to send him home and that mike needed it more. that didnt happen... i lost some respect for him over that.

I agree....all season long they've been about who "needs" to be there - until one of them didn't need to be anymore. The past few weeks the gray team has been all about the game play. I'm glad they're FINALLY showing that people are playing the game. Even Daris, who's kept Sam there before because Sam pushes him. He jumped ship pretty quickly in exchange for votes. I suspect they've all been playing all along, and it's just now coming out. It was just easier to make Melissa the bad guy game player of the season earlier...

Tomato
05-05-2010, 06:35 PM

I can't say that I lost some respect for him (but I definitely don't disagree with you). Also, we have to realize that this close to the finale the vision of a big fat cheque for $250,000 (or whatever is the 1st prize) dangling over his head is a pretty strong motivation .... especially if he is starting new life with Steph.

Let's face it, everybody on the show wants not only to lose the weight but also to win the money.

But guys, do you know what's worst thing??
ONLY THREE MORE EPISODES LEFT! What am I going to do when the season is over?!?!?!?

trekkiegirl
05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Sam said in an interview that he was surprised they voted to keep Michael because Michael can beat them at the finale. I think the point was to make sure they get to the finale in the first place. Daris and Ashley were not about to vote out an ally over someone who would have voted them out.

I've been noticing for weeks now how strong Daris' legs look. With or without the haircut, his is one of the more dramatic physical alterations. Be careful what you ask for, though--I wanted the mop of curls gone but the Lyle Lovett look is not good. :fr:

At first I thought Sunshine looked smaller in her dress than in her workout clothes. But they have some makeover photos online and she looks bigger than I thought she was. It's a tight, unforgiving dress.

I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't like Koli's look at all. All I could think of were Poindexter and Dilbert.

Mike's features--his face, his eyes--are really starting to come out now. Looks like he's going to have a hard time of it next week. My thought all these weeks has been if he was going to fall below the line and get sent home too soon, if he would have the emotional and mental fortitude to continue on his own. I hope so. I mean, he had both a positive and negative experience with the makeover...the positive being how far he had come; the negative being still having to shop at the big men's store and still not fitting into some things, reminding him he still has a long way to go. Like he said, he still can't see the finish line. I hope he's been dropping tons since he's been home. At this point, I am kinda pulling for Daris or Mike to win it all. Mike is going to break the 200 pounds lost mark on campus.

I wish they had Tim Gunn do the clothes.

Is it just me or do these Hollywood hairdressers have hairstyles I would never want?

Tomato, will you be watching Jillian's new show when TBL is over? LOL, I got my fix last time there was a break--I watched Biggest Loser:Australia Season 1 on youtube. Now one of my alltime favorite contestants is from that show. :D (To anybody that knows who I'm talking about, that would be Shane.) :cool:

The thing that bugs me about Koli (moreso than Sam because they didn't show too much of Sam in this regard) is that he's been quite judgemental of other people's gameplaying yet feels it's okay when he does it. I found what Sam said to him in the elimination room pretty revealing--Koli's pride and ego is depending more on him winning the show than coming from within him. He's tying winning the show in with his self-worth.

zinkemomx2
05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Well said about Koli trekkiegirl. I have never liked him as much as Sam. I'm also glad that Sam realizes he doesn't need to lose any more weight. Steph looked fabulous in his at home shoot.

I'll agree with everyone else that they really should have just cut the rest of Daris's hair off. It looks ridiculous the way it is when it is not gelled back. I'm still pulling for him to win it all. I know Michael has the pounds to do so and Koli probably does as well but Daris is really coming out of his shell and becoming a man.

I don't blame Sunshine for going back to her curls. I cannot imagine the hours she would have to spend everyday trying to get it to look like it did in the makeover. While the dress wasn't the most flattering thing she could have chosen it is still impressive that one of the skirts she tried on was way to big in a size 12.

And while Ashley is cute the way she is I wish they would have done something different with her hair. It looked the same as always to me. :shrug:

Hun.e.B
05-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I thought the makeovers for the girls were eh....both girls looked exactly the same at the weigh in. And for the makeover Ashley was aged her hair was way too old for her. Shes only what? 22?

Koli was so cute! He looked just like Andrew from AI this season.

Sam is HAWT! anyone else think we'll be seeing a proposal at the finale?

Daris didnt even look like Daris...I was SHOCKED! And then they showed him with dry hair and EW!! The Lyle Lovitt look is not cute! Although he is quite the athlete now isnt he?! Stand up and finish what you started!!!

Mike and his dimples had me thinking of Sonny Corinthos from General Hospital.

ennay
05-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Was very disappointed in the makeovers. They needed a stylist, not just go pick out your own stuff. I thought the girls hair looked ok at the time, but no different later. Make a CHANGE.

They had to get rid of Sam. At that point it is suicidal for anyone, even sunshine to keep a voting block of 2. That is too much concentrated power. It REALLY bugged me in the challenge when Sam said "I know if it is me and Koli, he'll jump off and give it to me". Seriously, time to let him fly on his own.

Tomato
05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Tomato, will you be watching Jillian's new show when TBL is over?

You bet!!!

And I do remember Shane from the Australian TBL. He absolutely rocked.

callie999
05-06-2010, 12:43 AM
In What Not to Wear on TLC, the contestants go on shopping day 1 "by themselves", but I read that they really do have consultants who help them out. My guess is the same was true for the BL contestants, but they were behind the scenes since they weren't big names like Tim Gunn. I quite liked Sunshine's yellow dress, actually. :( It is possible though that the "behind the scenes" stylists intentionally chose clothes that were slightly less flattering in order to make the finale moment more dramatic...however, I still think they all looked great. :) Mike is a much bigger threat at the finale though, though he is at risk for the lowest percentage sudden-death elimination they mentioned for next week!!

WardHog
05-06-2010, 07:21 AM
I think Daris will definitely be getting some action now. Wow!

Ilene
05-06-2010, 09:14 AM
It REALLY bugged me in the challenge when Sam said "I know if it is me and Koli, he'll jump off and give it to me". Seriously, time to let him fly on his own.I thought that was very arrogant of Sam to say that!! And knew right away that he would probably be gone... I'm getting good at reading their editing, it seems when a contestant makes a really overly confident comment, they're the next to go ...

I will definitely watch Jillian's show :yes:

trekkiegirl
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I saw on Facebook that Daris is "in a relationship" with a girl named Heather. I don't think it's the same girl he went to the karaoke bar with. She's a little blonde thing with a young son. I did kind of get that "just a friendship" vibe with the other girl, especially on her part.

Michael is def the bigger threat at the finale but they still have one more elimination to get through so voting-wise for next week, Sam was the more immediate threat to Daris and Ashley. If one of them falls below next week and Michael wasn't there, they wouldn't have the votes needed.

I did pretty well with my predictions for this week (Koli (thanks to previous week's waterloading) and Sunshine high, Sam and Michael low) so I'm going to predict for next week:
Sunshine had her high this week and will go low again
Koli will be at the bottom
Daris and Ashley will do average--I'll say more than 5 but not more than 10
Michael has like 8 more pounds to break the 200-pounds lost mark--I think he'll do it and maybe a little bit more, maybe in the 8-12 pound range.

I'm predicting Koli and Sunshine under the line and Koli goes home because he's the bigger threat.

I found it interesting when they said Sam was the only contestant to leave the ranch at his goal weight. I thought of Mark from Season Five, who was pretty skinny when he left, he looked underweight, actually.

Violin Jenn
05-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Tomato, will you be watching Jillian's new show when TBL is over? LOL, I got my fix last time there was a break--I watched Biggest Loser:Australia Season 1 on youtube. Now one of my alltime favorite contestants is from that show. :D (To anybody that knows who I'm talking about, that would be Shane.) :cool:
I did the same thing! BL Australia! Shane is my fave of all time too! He's just so cute and such a sweet guy(before and after the weightloss)!

Jillian's new show will be awesome!

Tomato
05-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Jillian's new show will be awesome!

I just wish Jillian moved in with ME. I would be a lot more disciplined and I have two super-cuddly greyhounds in the house. I would let her sleep with them if she wanted. :D

nicolejoy
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I CANNOT wait to see Jillian's show! I actually subscribe to her online weight loss program, and remember 6 months ago when she had an open call for families to apply. Our family talked about it, but at the end of the day I am too shy to air my dirty laundry. Still, I'm glad there are families willing to do it, I'm sure it will help us all!! :)

Amarantha2
05-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Ditto on Darius' hair, they should have just cut it. He looked great with the lumberjack look but that fluff in front needs to go.

I liked their clothes and think them much better than Tim Gunn would have picked out. :)

I am in the minority here about Sunshine I guess. I like her and see nothing wrong with a strong lifelong bond with her father other than it may be true she has unconsciously absorbed and mimicked his weight problem and the need to work on that.

Jillian is totally unqualified to practice psychology on those two or anyone else or tell them what their relationship should be, IMO.

I also would have voted to break up the voting block of Sam & Koli, that woul have been my number one priority in the game.

Viviane
05-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Ditto on Darius' hair, they should have just cut it. He looked great with the lumberjack look but that fluff in front needs to go.

I liked their clothes and think them much better than Tim Gunn would have picked out. :)

I am in the minority here about Sunshine I guess. I like her and see nothing wrong with a strong lifelong bond with her father other than it may be true she has unconsciously absorbed and mimicked his weight problem and the need to work on that.

Jillian is totally unqualified to practice psychology on those two or anyone else or tell them what their relationship should be, IMO.

I also would have voted to break up the voting block of Sam & Koli, that woul have been my number one priority in the game.

Agree with everything, except the clothes. ;) But, I think it's due to some backstage stylist pulling strings that I didn't particularly like them. Sam and Michael just happen to pick out practically the same outfit? Yeah, right.

I don't get the animosity towards Sunshine, either. I think she's adorable and it seems like she's genuinely close to her entire family. And, she works her tail off. Michael is the one that all the way through has driven me up a wall. I don't know what it is, I just can't stand him. But, I did feel bad for him on the makeover show. It would definitely suck to lose all that weight and still be so big.

I'm liking Daris more and more every week. There's just something about him. He seems so sweet and he's kind of the underdog, but he's working really hard and he could be the dark horse this season!

trekkiegirl
05-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Here's an update of the remaining contestants' stats, as of last week:

Daris - lost 141 lbs, 40.75%
Koli - lost 159 lbs, 39.45%
Mike - lost 192 lbs, 36.50%
Ashley - lost 136 lbs, 36.36%
Sunshine - lost 98 lbs, 35.50%

I think the reason why Sunshine's crying bothers me more than Mike's or Ashley's is that, to me, when Mike or Ashley cry it comes across as pain and/or frustration about their size, their belief they can't do something, the long way they still have to go, etc. Whenever Sunshine cries, I feel like I'm watching a spoiled child who didn't get her way, and everyone is supposed to feel badly for her and downplay their own joy.

I did feel like the makeover was more "bargain basement" than we've seen on some previous seasons. They were all pretty much in casual clothes, half of them didn't change their hair all that much. I thought the "wow factor" came more from the weight loss and the cutting/shaving of the big hair than the clothes.

I just realized...at 30, Michael is the oldest contestant left!

Interesting...with all the concern about alliances and individual best interests now, next week is going to be an automatic elimination, a red line. I didn't realize that before. But I still think Koli will be at the bottom. His gameplay the last couple of weeks (immunity, waterloading, then dropping 15 lbs) backfired on him with Sam's elimination and next, I think, his own.

Amarantha2
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I really would love to see Ashley win.

Twilightwing
05-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I guess i'm the 'odd person out', but the advertising they do during the show doesnt bother me at all. It costs loads of money to run the show.. the drs standing by, the salaries of the trainers and allison, feeding all the contestants, the elec to run the house, the trips to tx and denver, all of it is really exp.. so if i have to sit thru jillian talking about walgreens etc to keep the show running its worth it to me. i have actually tried new things because of that.. like when bob was showing victoria about fiber one cereal... i hadnt ever tried it.. went and bought a box and loved it lol...
oh well, just my two cents.

Tomato
05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I guess i'm the 'odd person out', but the advertising they do during the show doesnt bother me at all. It costs loads of money to run the show.. the drs standing by, the salaries of the trainers and allison, feeding all the contestants, the elec to run the house, the trips to tx and denver, all of it is really exp.. so if i have to sit thru jillian talking about walgreens etc to keep the show running its worth it to me. i have actually tried new things because of that.. like when bob was showing victoria about fiber one cereal... i hadnt ever tried it.. went and bought a box and loved it lol...
oh well, just my two cents.

I can only speak for myself so I will say that what I dislike is the way they advertise the products (as opposed to the actual advertising). It's just so obvious, and kinda amateurish, if you ask me.

And yah, the show costs money but believe me, NBC is not hurting in any way. The show is stretched by commercial breaks into two hours, and I saw one episode rerun on a Saturday night (a few weeks back) and it nicely fit into ONE hour. I am sure they are charging big $$$ for the commercial slots during prime time and during a prime show that is watched by millions and millions of people.

ennay
05-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I agree with tomato. The adverts are just so..CORNY. Advertise the stuff, fine, but the in show "Oh, hey we just happen to be walking by a walgreens so lets go in and read from a fake script and oh wow!" There is a reason they hire actors to film commercials.

I find it kind of demeaning...like do you think I am that stupid that I dont realize this casual conversation between bob and ashley is an ad and not a part of the show? It also makes you wonder how much of the rest of the show is scripted.

OrganizedChaos
05-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Heard a spoiler rumor today on who goes home tonight, because NBC released pics of the final 4 on the day they were running a marathon. Apparently they are doing the same thing this season where 2 fall under the line after the marathon and America gets to vote on who the 3rd contestant for the $250,000 will be. Hope it's ok to do this, If you want to know who goes home you can highlight the text below and see who is leaving since the font is white. Otherwise you can watch tonight and be surprised. Of course the rumor mill and photos could be wrong and the joke is on me.

Sunshine is automatically eliminated tonight.

Can't wait for the show tonight.

ciecie
05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
i don't want to know. i do know that eric, the past champion who gained all of the weight he lost back, is going to be on tonight.

mizski
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Chaos, that was ingenious with the white font thing. That way people can decide if they want to know. :)

parkedout
05-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I couldn't resist!

:D

OrganizedChaos
05-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Chaos, that was ingenious with the white font thing. That way people can decide if they want to know. :)

Thank You. I was afraid that some would be upset with me for posting but I wanted to be able to share it with those of you who are like me and can't wait for anything!

lights76
05-11-2010, 05:33 PM
That was awesome! I am always tempted to look online early since we watch the show last (well almost last - Cali watches it after us).

RayStar
05-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Now that's just childish. Poor Michael looking for pity.

Hun.e.B
05-11-2010, 11:19 PM
I dont think Micheal was looking for pity...I think he's got that mental head trip going on. He's lost 200 lbs in an incredibly short amount of time, it takes people YEARS to lose that kind of weight. I think in his head hes still that fat guy and he still has so far to go. Weightloss is such a head trip, I can imagine him looking at Sam, Darus and Koli and Mike isnt there, yet he's done the same work, lost MORE weight. Thats rough. He's gonna make it though.

I'm totally happy with the final 4. I'm curious as to who is gonna "sabotage" themself as Jillian says in the previews. I was thinking Ashley.

MindiV
05-12-2010, 07:48 AM
My bet is Koli or Micheal who sabotages himself next week...don't know why I feel that way though. Just a gut feeling.

hhichick
05-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I'd missed about a month so I finally got to catch up! Darus is sooooo cute! I wouldn't have recognized him. I can't believe that it's the same person.

I got a little tired of what I saw as Michael's self pity. Ashley still has a long way to go to goal. Maybe not as many as pounds as he does b/c she's a tiny woman, but a significant percentage. She's not staring it in the face like Darus (did I mention how handsome he looks now?) and Koli.

Anyway, Darus and Ashley both seem so strong and so happy right now, that I think they'll be fine at home. My money is on either Koli or Michael as well to self sabotage, as well. Both were acting really weird. (It was kinda creepy seeing Koli so aggressive and hostile last night.)

MindiV
05-12-2010, 08:53 AM
The way they portrayed Koli last night, he might be in trouble if he's one of the two in the bottom and America has to vote...

parkedout
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
The way they portrayed Koli last night, he might be in trouble if he's one of the two in the bottom and America has to vote...

I agree. His 'tude was ridiculous.:mad:

Glad that Sunshine didn't cry a river--only a few meaningful tears. And now, I REALLY want to see Ashley pull this one out. That girl has potential here. I think she's been playing the game since day one--but I like that.:D Although now, Suze is going to have to take back that stuff about credit score determining who will win it. :D

Tomato
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't think it was self pity in Michael's case, I think it was genuine. I really felt for him.
I am glad the solar planet is out of the galaxy. She did look good on the scale, I have to admit that.
I thought, when Koli got on the scale and Ali said "you need to have lost more than X pounds" that he cast her a funny look, as if he was saying "I have it in the bag". I think I saw a smirk. :-)

Daris - I just hope that whoever he will start dating will be nice to him. He is very hungry for love and relationship, very understandably so, and he will fall head over heels for whoever will show some attraction to him. I hope he will end up with somebody very nice who will appreciate him for who he is because I think he is a really really nice caring person.

I am kinda tired of seeing Ashley falling off the treadmill over and over and over again. Good thing that she was able to laugh at that, I am not sure if I could. I think showing it twice (if not more) per each episode was a bit too much.

Otherwise, the only thing I did not like was how they played the pre-recorded messages of the contestants to themselves - as in Nuclear Hair at 526 lbs saying to Nuclear Hair at 326 lbs "Don't give up, look what you have achieved". Not that I don't agree with the message, I just dislike the "vehicle". I found it cheesy to have it prerecorded because nobody knew, at the beginning, how they would do on the show even though it is expected that everybody will shed a big amount of weight.

Otherwise, I think it was a good episode. I did wish Daris had kept the ten grand to pay off his student loan though but I understand his reasoning. I think I want him to snatch the grand prize.

gardend1va
05-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I was hoping that they would decide to give Daris the $10,000 because he didn't end up needing the one pound advantage, but of course that is not how proper gambling is done.

Michael reminds me of some of the heavy siblings of earlier BL contestants: on one hand they are happy for the person who looks so different now, but sad because they are now "the fat one". Michael still feels like "the fat one" around all the other people who are much closer to or at their goal weight. Looking at how far he's come does not comfort him, because he is in despair over how much longer his journey is compared to everyone else's. What he doesn't acknowledge is that he's a young guy and he will be living the rest of his adult life as a continuously shrinking "normal sized" man as opposed to that morbidly obese, unhappy man that he used to be.

Am I the only one who thought the school gym full of adulating peers, or the baseball stadium full of cheering crowds will only feed Sunshine's insatiable need to be the center of attention at all times? Maybe I am just a grumpy, mean jerk.

lights76
05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
was the gym her peers?! They looked like high school kids and the show just wanted to have a crowd for her return. I thought that was weird unless she actually taught there...she even said, "it is great to be back here with all of you"...is she a teacher?

jackie58
05-12-2010, 02:16 PM
When I was watching Sunshine at the gym I also was wondering whether she was a teacher at that school. Most of the people at the gym seemed to students, not sure what that was about. Sunshine really looked beautiful and I was glad she didn't breakdown as in the past, I felt the tears she shed were appropriate.

Daris has become my favorite contestant. He has been so steady and patient during his whole journey that it is really easy to admire him. I also like Ashley, she has hung in when she could have been really frustrated with the amount of weight she still needs to lose. Michael should look at Ashley and take some pointers, I really don't blame him for the way he feels I know he just feels that while some people are at the end of losing weight he is somewhere in the middle of his journey. As to Koli, I have always liked him, but lately he is a little too cocky for my taste, this could just be TV drama so I haven't held it against him.

gardend1va
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I am not sure who exactly they filled the gym with...not sure if they were students at the school she used to attend, or if she is a teacher, but I just used the term "peers" as a vague word because I wasn't sure who the crowd consisted of. I don't think the show elaborated on that either.

Vixsin
05-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents because I watch the BL religiously every week.

First off, I am really pleased with the final 4. I was glad that it was Sunshine to go. It was her time.

Michael - I was an emotional mess watching him last night. I wanted to go through my tv and hug him. Like Ashley, his journey is a long one. It must be so hard to be there and see the Sam, Daris, and Koli and how much weight they're dropping and how good they look. I was glad to see that by the end of the show, his thinking had changed and he was happier with himself and focused on the fact that he lost 200+ pounds not focused on the fact that still needs to lose 100 more.

Koli - I get Koli's agression last night. Between last week with the Jacob's Ladder and his amazing loss on the scale, I think he is finally getting that he's able to achieve so much more than he ever thought he was. I understand his attitude, I don't think he needed to be so harsh but I get it. He didn't come to the ranch to make friends, he came there to win. I don't have to agree with his methods to respect his stance.

Ashley - I'll tell ya what, she's has sure come a long way. I would love to see her win the whole thing. She has really gone through some great changes and really sees the potential in herself. I love seeing that. I agree, that I am over seeing her fall off the treadmill. I've seen enough of that. I would much rather see her sprinting on the treadmill at a 10. That inspires me!!

Daris - To me, he literally snuck up from behind everyone and took over! He looks so amazing and the fire that has been ignited in him is so great to see. That challenge last night is, by far, my favorite challenge. I love the symbolism of it. To see Daris take an early lead and never lose it was fantastic. I love that focus in his eyes and that drive. Last week with falling off the treadmill and then getting right back on without missing a beat?!?! He is a machine!!!!

I'm nervous for next week with the "self sabotage." I don't want to see any of them fall victim. I am prone to doing that to myself and I know how hard of a struggle it is NOT to do it.

I'd love to see each of them win it all. Maybe I'll make a prediction next week. :)

Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents. LOVE TBL!!!!!!

Tomato
05-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Am I the only one who thought the school gym full of adulating peers, or the baseball stadium full of cheering crowds will only feed Sunshine's insatiable need to be the center of attention at all times? Maybe I am just a grumpy, mean jerk.

Are you sure we are not twins separated at birth??? I was actually thinking "This must be right up her alley"; - all the cheering, applauding, waving, etc.
And you are right, there was no clarification as to whether she teaches at that school, or she used to be a student there, or what.

gardend1va
05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Are you sure we are not twins separated at birth??? I was actually thinking "This must be right up her alley"; - all the cheering, applauding, waving, etc.
And you are right, there was no clarification as to whether she teaches at that school, or she used to be a student there, or what.

Tomato, I enjoy our similar viewpoints on this show! Just when I think maybe I've been a bit too hard on somebody or have an extreme viewpoint on an issue, I see that you share my opinion and it makes me feel better. I consider you to be somebody with a great head on her shoulders, so if we are twins separated at birth, I say I lucked out!:D

Tomato
05-12-2010, 07:35 PM
LOL! Thank you for the compliment - likewise!!! :-)

LisaMarie71
05-16-2010, 09:28 AM
I haven't seen every minute of the series this season, so I must have missed why everyone seems to hate Sunshine so much! I don't love her, but I don't see that she's that awful. She just seems like a young woman who's close to her father. I was glad she was eliminated this week, though.

I'd love for Ashley to win, but honestly I'd be happy with any of them winning. I'm not bothered by Koli's attitude about getting into the final four. Obviously Daris deserves to win too, and I think it would be great to see Michael win as someone who's still got weight left to lose. I don't know how much he'll have left at the finale, but I think it would be great to see someone win when they still have some weight left. Would be different, you know?

ennay
05-16-2010, 01:09 PM
I actually kind of like Sunshine. I think she is massively immature, which is why I wanted her to have more time on campus so she could get time away from her dad. But when it came down to last week I think I was rooting for Koli to go home, then Sunshine. I just dont like Koli's attitude.

I like Daris, but I dont think he has enough left to lose to take it all, so I am probably rooting hardest for Ashley.

trekkiegirl
05-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Koli was my first choice to go home, too (Sunshine was my 2nd)...I didn't think he could pull out a big number after that 15 pound loss the week before. And he's been acting like a self-righteous jerk for some time now. I still don't think he has any real confidence. He admitted at the start he didn't and lately, he's been substituting competition-related arrogance and pride and the need to win for confidence. I'm hoping he falls below next week--I suspect his displays would cost him some votes and his opponent, whoever it may be, would beat him in a popular vote. Someone mentioned on another board he had an apology posted as his FB status at one point and wondered if that was indicative that he may be one of the bottom two and he needed to make nice for votes.

I'm thinking the one who gained 2 pounds next week is either Ashley or Daris. During the preview, when you see Bob's incredulous WTF reaction, you can see next to him Mike's white shirt and Koli's arm. Granted, with editing it may have been taken from something else but it did look like he was reacting to a bad weigh-in. And this would be the weigh-in after they've been home for 30 days. I'm more inclined to think it's Ashley. She seems to have a partying lifestyle and maybe she just didn't stick to the plan so well. Or she could be PMSing! Then again, they showed Daris crying next week. I was thinking at first that was maybe in the "confessional" room where they plead for votes but it looked more like the gym behind him. Daris doesn't have much more left to lose so he may fall below next week. Mike and Ashley are still big and Koli also has some weight still left to shed. Daris is ahead in overall percentage for the finale so Mike and Ashley have a lot to do to catch up but for next week, I dunno...

But I think if Koli ends up as one of the final 3, he'll win (ugh). He's already neck and neck with Daris and has more to lose still than Daris. And he's obsessed with winning.

Cali Doll
05-16-2010, 02:11 PM
I actually kind of like Sunshine. I think she is massively immature, which is why I wanted her to have more time on campus so she could get time away from her dad. But when it came down to last week I think I was rooting for Koli to go home, then Sunshine. I just dont like Koli's attitude.

My sentiments exactly.

starbrite
05-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Just to say I totally love Biggest loser. It's like an addiction, and one which has helped me get on my exercise bike and go ! Nothing like 83 minutes of BL to cycle to.
I don't like Koli - I hate his attitude - I see what amazing things he has done, but find him too smug by far.
I really like the other three. Ashley is my favourite -she reminds me constantly of why I am back on this journey. I envy all the contestants their chance to be there and "Just do it". I'd love to be there :)

lights76
05-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Ok, I kinda thought I was hallucinating but looked up some blogs and others see it too - Anyone think that Koli and Sunshine maybe an item? As he walked by her to weigh in there was some extra touching going on...my husband thinks I am cookoo tho.

susieyarb
05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
I thought Koli was married? Maybe wrong.

I cannot wait till tonight to watch the show. I think this has been one of the best seasons so far.

Here is my lineup, in order, of who I'd like to see win: Daris, Ashley, Michael. I don't care for Koli's attitude either. The margin between Daris and Ashley for me is super slim of who I'd like to see win.

trekkiegirl
05-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Koli's not married. He was the one at the beginning of the season who said he couldn't believe anyone would ever love a 400-pound man. I just hope he falls below and loses the popular vote so he's not in the final 3. I'm kinda tied with wanting either Daris or Michael to win, followed by Ashley. I'm wondering, though, if Ashley has it in her, mentally, to get to where she is anywhere near Daris in terms of percentage lost (esp. if she turns out to be the one with the 2-lb weight gain over the 30 days at home). I'll be curious to see how much Michael has lost at home. He did very well when they went home for the week. I just hope his frustrations don't get the best of him.

Tomato
05-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Trekkiegirl,
I share your sentiments - I don't see Ashley having the same mental strength as Daris (and I hope we are right as I would like to see Daris as The Biggest Loser of Season 9).
Allright, 5 more hours till the beginning of tonight's episode. I have to warn my BF to not call me. :-)

trekkiegirl
05-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes!! Koli is so out of it. :carrot: I don't think he's going to win the vote over Daris. I just called for Daris (you can call 3 times) and I did one online (you can actually do 10).

If Sione looked like that, I suspect Filipe looks worse. Isn't Sione a physical trainer now? :rolleyes:

Surprised that, for all of his big talk, Koli finished the marathon 2 hours behind Daris and about 20 minutes before Mike & Ashley and they seemed to be walking more than he did.

I wonder why it is they mostly show the contestants winning from season 5 and up. You hardly ever see Bill G from season 4 and I think he's been doing pretty well.

LabMonkeyGirl
05-18-2010, 11:43 PM
It was depressing seeing that nearly every former contestant they ran in to during the marathon had gained at least half their weight back (except for the woman-she looked incredible). I think all of them, except for the woman, looked a bit overweight.

I feel so sorry for Daris, but I think he should get therapy for his binge addiction. He's really hurting his body! Koli is really determined to win. It's crazy that he did that long martial arts training thing. Doesn't he/Don't any of them have to work? How the heck does Ashley have such an active social life that she's on the phone so much and out partying every night. I find it so weird that she's constantly got the phone attached to her ear.

MamaP
05-19-2010, 12:10 AM
I can't believe how bad Sione looked. That makes me sad for him. I already knew that Matt Hoover had gained most of his weight. Mike looked good and Ali looked good, too.

nicolejoy
05-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I know so sad about Sione- and Matt- how do you motivate someone to keep losing weight when they are skinnier than you?? Poor Daris... I don't know who I would vote for between he and Koli, I am a sucker for underdogs.

ennay
05-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Bob is full of crap though. If you place your FOCUS on training for a marathon it is extremely hard to lose weight at the same time. You get to this point where to do the workouts you just cant operate at a deficit. Especially the first time through. It takes time for the body to learn to operate in that underfed state and still do it. I'm not saying Daris didnt have a binging problem, but I think the marathon focus contributed in a major way. Not knowing how to rearrange his calories to support it. They keep having the people run this marathon but I have seen nothing to indicate that TBL knows anything about giving them ANY guidelines on how to train for one. And definitely not how to train and lose at the same time.

Koli clearly put no effort into the marathon. Which is fine and probably smart if the goal was weight loss. Training for a marathon by working out at a marshal arts facility is like training for downhill ski racing by swimming. He had never run more than ~10 miles in his life before. What struck me was his audacity in thinking at the beginning that he would keep up with Daris.

I dont usually vote but I am going to go vote for Daris. I really dislike Koli and his attitude.

Amarantha2
05-19-2010, 06:00 AM
I think it would be so unfair for Daris to win the vote, though I have empathy for him but he is too prone to make excuses for the night eating behavior and I think he needs to address that more fully and to unfairly win this contest at this point just puts him in the same place with all the other former winners who seem to be regaining and making a lot of excuses about it (except Ali, who does not seem to have gained much except some muscle). JMO. :)

Ruthxxx
05-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Time to start a new thread. This one is way over 500 posts.