South Beach Diet - Remembering why I love the SBD!

View Full Version : Remembering why I love the SBD!

Hello Nurse
01-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I lost about 50 lbs on South Beach about 5 years ago. For whatever reason, I fell off the wagon and gained it all back, plus another 20 or so. Since then I have tried every other diet plan out there because I did not want to give up carbs and sweets. Well, I finally came to the conclusion that I have to get this weight off, and I needed to go with the only plan that has worked for me in the past. I started phase one on January 1.

Wow! I now remember so clearly why I loved this plan! I am down 6 lbs in two days (OK, I know alot is water, but hey it is numbers on the scale), I am eating really good, fresh foods, and I am full! I eat a hearty breakfast then go about my day and before I know it, it is lunch time and I am not even really hungry yet! I know snacks are important on this plan, and I eat them when I am hungry, but often snack time sails by without me noticing it! I went to the movies yesterday and did not even blink at passing by the popcorn and candy. I am loving this!

So, I guess I am a convert for life. There is nothing that works for me like this plan. I am coming to terms with the fact that white bread, rice, and pasta are out forever, but I am looking forward to adding some great whole grain products in phase II. I am really looking forward to FRUIT! In fact, I am considering adding back only fruit for a while since I have so much to lose, and I am really not missing the grains terribly right now.

Sorry for the random babbling, but I am just so excited about South Beach and had to share! :carrot:

little chick
01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Welcome back. And congrats on the first 6 pounds gone. Keep up the good work.

ddmbMom
01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I lost around 40 with it 4 years ago. I have gained about half of it back. Actually I was able to maintain the weight loss for about 3 years which is the problem with most diets. It seems like I can lose weight with any diet when I set my mind to it, but I always gain it back immediately. To keep it off for 3 years was amazing! I actually felt like that was my normal weight. Stress this past year got me eating everything in sight the past 6 months but I feel in control now too. This is day 7 for me in phase 1 and I feel great! Pants are not killing me as much as they were a week ago. :D
I'm so excited to find this message board also!

newyearnewme2010
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum. I just went out and bought all the items for phase one. I had much success with SBD after doing it years ago but like everyone else i had gained it back and then some :(

So here i am again. I am about 155 pounds, and i need to lose about 20 pounds. The 130's are definitely my "happy weight", as i am only 5'6".

Looking for some support from you all who are also doing it! Let's keep each other motivated..

Happy New Year!
:carrot:

cottagebythesea
01-03-2010, 06:42 PM
:welcome: to The Beach! We look forward to getting to know all of you better and good luck!

murphmitch
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Welcome to all you newbies. There are a lot of us loyal South Beachers here! You'll get a lot of support here. The FAQ's & recipes here are a godsend. Congrats Hello Nurse! You're off to a wonderful start! :welcome2:

jenne1017
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
:welcome2: back to most of you!

HelloNurse: I am the same way. I went looking around for an easier way to do it and I can't find a plan that I can maintain so easily. The SB WOL makes me happy and it's easiest for me to commit to.

KKBs Nicole
01-03-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm loving SB. I was on WW for a while and yes I lost weight but I gained it all back and became obsessed with counting points. Today I noticed something that never happened for me while on WW ... not only do I not have regular cravings but my appetite has greatly diminished. It seems like I was always hungry on WW, or at least thinking about my next meal, but not on SB :)

RHP9
01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
hey i am new to the beach too ( and this website) ... i started phase 1 january first as well.. CONGRATS on the 6lbs!! i love reading everyones posts and seeing their success because it motivates me to do better!
hello nurse - GREAT JOB!! keep up the great work

newyearnewme2010
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
question- yesterday i made grilled chicken with a marinade that has 4g of sugar (per serving and i used 2 servings for an entire packet of chicken) in it, is this a no-no on phase 1?

litar
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
I am also new to SBD...I have felt better on this diet than I have in a while! I started a few days before New Years. I have a question... I didn't see lowfat cottage cheese on the list of Phase 1 foods. Is that allowable or not???

newyearnewme2010
01-04-2010, 04:56 PM
yes, cottage cheese is allowed. It's listed in a few of the "snack" options in that actual meal plan. i like to eat the cottage cheese with almonds. :)

Fat Melanie
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Cottage cheese and almonds? Gotta try that! Sounds like a good snack. Also cottage cheese and cinnamon is another idea to try.

Good luck Hello Nurse! You're doing great.

Hello Nurse
01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the support, everyone! Newyearnewme2010, 4 gm per serving is an awful lot, IMO. Read the ingredients, if it has added sugar, high fructose corn syrup or other sugary by products, it is a no-no for SBD. Don't stress about little mistakes like that, I am sure most of us have made them. Just keep going and reading labels and you will be great!

cannotstandpics
01-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I have also tried WW and can do well, but my downfall is definitely carbs. Quitting carbs is like quitting smoking; once you get past the first few days, it seems to get a bit easier. I just started Phase one today. I am so glad I accidentally happened upon this site last week. I am looking forward to working together toward our "new year goals."

litar
01-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Down 3 pounds this morning!!! I've never felt like I can stick to something like I do with this! I'm never hungry! Also- I made that dessert that tastes like the chocolate peanut butter cup last night and I can not believe you can have that on Phase 1...it was awesome!

Mmckellen
01-05-2010, 06:45 AM
I also did WW and not only found myself becoming obsessed with points (rather than the quality of food) but also eating a lot of junk since you "could" as long as it fit within your points. After struggling for months with WW (losing 3 lbs., gaining it back, losing it again, spending $150 on attending WW at work and then dropping out, feeling badly about myself etc.) I decided to try South Beach. I had done Atkins years ago and found it very easy to just cut out the carbs and not focus on portion sizes, etc., but just eat until I felt satisfied. Of course the carbs came back and so did the weight.

michigangirl
01-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Good morning all, I also did WW several times over the years. I would reach a plateau at around a 20# loss and then regain . I'm very happy with how healthy, and satisfied the Beach fits me and my family . This is day 2 for me on P1. A repeat visit after falling off plan and gaining back 14 #. I am very glad to be back and want to see it thru to my goal this time. Thanks for all the support. Linda

newyearnewme2010
01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
nuts! i knew it probably wouldn't be ok. HA! oh well.. everything else has been by the book, so, i'll just start over i guess! haha.. thanks for the info.

Can someone tell me what that dessert is that tastes like a peanut butter cup, umm, that sounds like heaven to me. :)

newyearnewme2010
01-05-2010, 12:28 PM
litar, are you working out as well? This is only my second day, but i haven't lost anything yet. look forward to seeing the scale move!

murphmitch
01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Can someone tell me what that dessert is that tastes like a peanut butter cup, umm, that sounds like heaven to me. :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/desserts-phase-1/40576-peanut-butter-cup-phase-i-onward.html

litar
01-05-2010, 04:40 PM
litar, are you working out as well? This is only my second day, but i haven't lost anything yet. look forward to seeing the scale move!

Not really/kinda...I tried to do the 30 day shred DVD (phase 1) yesterday but I had to pause it about 3 times and literally thought I would pass out. I am sore today but couldn't make myself do it this morning. I am going to try it again in the am. It has to be the hardest work out I have ever attempted!

newyearnewme2010
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
oh! i love the shred!!! It was really hard in the beginning for me too! I was on workout one for about 3 weeks, haha.. good luck! you can do it :) "don't phone it in!" :)

litar
01-06-2010, 10:18 AM
oh! i love the shred!!! It was really hard in the beginning for me too! I was on workout one for about 3 weeks, haha.. good luck! you can do it :) "don't phone it in!" :)

Thanks...I was amazed this AM...2nd workout and I was much more successful than day one??? I'm sure I will be on Phase 1 for several weeks!:D

newyearnewme2010
01-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Well, i'm getting a little discouraged. I KNOW i'm very impatient but i just want this weight off! This is the 4th day for me on SBD and i've done it by the book. AND i did the shred last night and i'm only down about a pound! that's NOTHING! I keep telling myself to stick with it, but it's frustrating when nothing happens, there's no reward, you know?

litar
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Well, i'm getting a little discouraged. I KNOW i'm very impatient but i just want this weight off! This is the 4th day for me on SBD and i've done it by the book. AND i did the shred last night and i'm only down about a pound! that's NOTHING! I keep telling myself to stick with it, but it's frustrating when nothing happens, there's no reward, you know?

Don't be discouraged...a pound good. I think any loss is a step in the right direction!!!

jenne1017
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM

You have to keep in mind that you only have 20 pounds to lose. Most of us have/had a lot more than that on Phase 1 and that's why we read higher numbers. Remember to drink LOTS of water and keep it up. A pound is a loss in the RIGHT direction! :carrot: Plus, another way to look at it is that you've already lost 5% on your way to your goal!

newyearnewme2010
01-07-2010, 12:26 PM
You both are right. I need to up my water intake for sure. I definitely don't have enough of that. And that's a good way of looking at it! 5% of my weight loss goal :) I like that..

Thanks!

Hello Nurse
01-07-2010, 09:20 PM
My DH is doing Phase I with me and my results have been better than his...and he is the one who usually drops way more than I do. When we compared notes the only real difference is that I am drowning myself with water, and he drinks only about 4 cups and the rest diet soda. So, I truly believe water makes a ton of difference! Keep up the good work, everyone!

Hello Nurse
01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
double post, 'puter going wonky, sorry.

nomena
01-08-2010, 05:47 AM
Hi everyone! I am also new and determined to do it this time. I weight 103 kg (around 225 pounds I guess) and my first goal is 90 kg. That would be also a lot, but that was the weight I was in College. So, this time I am reinforcing myself to have realistic goals. But really REALISTIC!

I did start kind of South Beach but I do eat some fruit if I am hungry. And I said to myself - its better to have an apple than a burger. I do try and I am sure I will get better by time but at this moment I do not pay attention to portions of meat or other SB food because I think that for first 10 days its important just to take care of cravings and to feel full. That is must for me at the beginning ...and I do drink a lot of water and unsweetened tea. I must say I feel great, more energized even and dont have temptation to eat popcorn at the movies!

And I ate fish after so long time!

newyearnewme2010
01-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi, it's been a while since my last post but i have good news.. i'm down 5 pounds.. i hope to continue.. i would love to lose 15 more but i would be ok with just 10! wish me luck!

Oh- and i'm trying to drink more water. You make a good point, b/c i DO drink alot of diet soda.. i just love it, i think b/c its my "sweet" fix.

Thanks for all the continued support!

ajowens
01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
I had never done it before and I am just amazed!! I have lost 3 in 3 days and its not water because I was dieting before this.

You will do it in no time! I am glad to hear that you are here again!!

newyearnewme2010
01-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks! Can anyone tell me how you can get one of those tickers? And hot to put it on your profile? Seems like a fun lil gadget ;)

Thanks!