Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/105/105

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Family Not Supportive of Weight Loss!

Hi!

Since March 2009, I have lost almost 60 pounds. Most of it was within 6-7 months. During that time, I began to eat healthy, exercise every day, etc. I got from 171 lbs. to 115 lbs. My height is 5'4" and I am female. My wish is to lose another 10 pounds and end up somewhere around 105 lbs.

My family, on the other hand, whom I currently live with (and yes I am an adult), would like to see me GAIN 10 pounds! They keep giving me crap to eat, and they have even tried to bribe me (which hasn't worked).

How can I get them to see that I am just fine the way I am? I don't need their unhealthy foods or bribery? I need to lose 10 pounds not GAIN them!!!

MrsLovett
MrsLovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

While I know the BMI isn't always all it's cracked up to be, 105 is underweight by BMI standards for your height. And 119 is on the low end of normal. Perhaps their concern has some basis? I mean this in a caring way and not a critical way!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I found the same thing as CLCSC145. What do you see as being wrong with your current weight? It is a healthy weight for your height, although it is on the low side.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-02-2010 at 05:36 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Well, I've been 5'5 and 109lbs (as well as 5'5 and 115lbs like you), and here's another take on it: when your BMI starts to go *underweight*, a person begins to look sickly. 5'4 and 105lbs is quite skinny and underweight, no doubt about that, I've been there. So yes, your family might be worried you are heading in the direction of some kind of eating disorder (as mine was).

Looking back - yeah, I was skinny, and I exercised too much. Why do you want to be underweight? To say that you need to LOSE 10lbs when you are already underweight indicates that they are sensing a problem.

Also dropping from 170lbs down to 116 since *March* 2009 would indicate that you have lost a decent amount of muscle mass as well.

Last edited by sacha; 01-02-2010 at 06:01 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #5  

Well see, I've been 105 lbs. before, and I looked/felt much better than I do now. I look terrible right now. I feel horrible. I know I need to do more strength training, but I need to lose more weight as well.

MrsLovett
Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #6  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

Congratulations on your weight loss!

How do you feel? If you don't feel well, maybe you should think about what they say. But if you're happy and healthy tell them to get bent!

As you said, you're an adult. You're the only person you need to answer to. If you think you want to lose 10 more pounds it's up to you. It's all about being comfortable in your own skin. I wish you well!
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 258.2/176/141

Height: 5' 3"

Default Family Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLovett View Post
Hi!

Since March 2009, I have lost almost 60 pounds. Most of it was within 6-7 months. During that time, I began to eat healthy, exercise every day, etc. I got from 171 lbs. to 115 lbs. My height is 5'4" and I am female. My wish is to lose another 10 pounds and end up somewhere around 105 lbs.

My family, on the other hand, whom I currently live with (and yes I am an adult), would like to see me GAIN 10 pounds! They keep giving me crap to eat, and they have even tried to bribe me (which hasn't worked).

How can I get them to see that I am just fine the way I am? I don't need their unhealthy foods or bribery? I need to lose 10 pounds not GAIN them!!!

MrsLovett
Family support is very important and helpful or can be destructive. My advice is to talk to your Doctor and if he / she agrees with you have them write something to your family so they will know that what you are doing is doctor approved. But on the other hand if they think that you should not lose another 10 lbs you may want to concider their advice not to.

With all that said I wish you the best in which ever way you decide to go. JUST DO IT HEALHTY and not for looks alone. You are a beautiful lady from the picture on here and if that is you now you look great.
sheilaer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

That sounds like a good idea--talk to your doctor, or even to a dietitian. They can give something more than just layperson opinions!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-02-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #9  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Well see, I've been 105 lbs. before, and I looked/felt much better than I do now. I look terrible right now. I feel horrible. I know I need to do more strength training, but I need to lose more weight as well.

MrsLovett
Ah, you posted again while I was typing up my post!

It sounds like you're not going to be happy until you're back at 105, and your family isn't going to support you until you stop losing weight.

Hmm. It sounds to me like you have to decide if losing 10 pounds or your family's support is more important to your happiness. Sometimes we just can't have it all.
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:

MrsLovett
Maybe you should consider weight training a bit more. Weight training will make you look better, if looking great is what you are aiming for, gaining some definition may be for you. You could possibly maintain your current weight, but become a size smaller(through weight training)...that would be awesome right?
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Well... I'd have to come out and say if you think you look terrible and feel horrible @ 116 and 5'4 (which is getting close to underweight), as well as doing up to 2 hours of exercise per day to try and lose weight down to *105*, I'd say that your family is probably quite worried that you are heading into eating disordered territory. Quite frankly, I see something a bit worrisome. You are going to experience some substantial muscle loss which leads to osteoporosis, among other health problems that plague the underweight.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

How old were you when you weighed 105 before? It can make a big difference.

I know there are some people who have a very very tiny frame and the charts dont work, but after losing weight so rapidly, it doesnt really suprise me that you may not be satisfied with what you are seeing in the mirror. Skin, muscle tone can be off, skin can be drier and paler from losing weight. Sometimes it takes awhile to settle into a weight and regain a good glow and even out the face. Weight lifting will help with all of that.

If a DOCTOR looks at you and says you are ok to lose weight, then go for it. But you may not have an accurate picture of yourself or you may be trying to fix some body "defects" that simply can not be fixed with additional weightloss.

In either case you are well within your rights to say that they shouldnt try to get you to eat JUNK food but I think everyone would urge you to get a professional opinion on a healthy weight for your frame and make sure the diet is supporting a healthy lifestyle, not just a thin one.

Last edited by ennay; 01-02-2010 at 07:54 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #13  

Let's see... last time I was 105 lbs. was 2007, so I was 30 years old? I'm 32 now. I'm not doing this for looks alone. I definitely am into living a healthy lifestyle. Just wish people weren't pushing unhealthy foods on me at the moment.

MrsLovett
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Eating junky food is absolutely not called for! I take it you mean stuff like pizza, fast food burgers, etc. That's definitely not the way to go, no matter what! Hang in there, stay with healthy choices like lean protein, fresh foods when possible, complex carbs.

Jay
Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #15  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You might want to post in the featherweights forum on here. They might be able to give you another perspective. Maybe you could post some pictures of yourself here? It would be easier for us to see what is going on. If you don't feel comfortable to do that, I completely understand. I just thought I'd make it a suggestion.

What kind of food are they pushing you to eat? I remember when I was in high school, I got very thin, but I never felt thin at all. Then, one day, I was sitting at the table with my family and I started to pass out right there in the chair. My family got FREAKED OUT and forced me to eat a bunch of food. That episode really scared me too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that your family loves you and even though it's irritating, it might be worth going to a doctor to have yourself checked out. That way, if you're right, you can get that as an approval and you can get them off your back.

Weight lifting is a GREAT idea, by the way! I think you would notice lots of great muscle tone.

Best of luck to you.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote