Exercise! - C25K in 2010

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : C25K in 2010

shea5
01-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I noticed as I was reading through the last few posts, that there was some conversation about starting a new thread, so I figured I'd see about that. I'm getting ready to start on W1D1 tomorrow, and am hoping to here from some of you veterans what you found easy or difficult. I just downloaded the iphone app, and am loading music on it now. I'm so excited for 2010!!!

(oh, by the way, I'm Meredith, and working on not just exercising but weight loss in 2010)

Haley8203
01-02-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm going to start the program on the 11th. I've been in 5k's but I haven't ran in about 6 months and I've gained so I want to use this program this time around. good luck!

Aclai4067
01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I was on week 3, but I took a little hiatus so we'll see. I start back tomorrow

Oohpujie
01-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I just finished W7D3 today. Can't believe I'm almost done with it!

wiginn
01-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I have just finished week 2...I have to admit, that running for 90 seconds is tough for me, but I did do it - not sure if I should go to week 3 yet or repeat week 2. Any advice?

zoochick777
01-03-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm starting C25K Monday. Been wanting to but didn't have the motivation until now. I just downloaded the iTouch application today.

mothermavis
01-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I have just finished week 2...I have to admit, that running for 90 seconds is tough for me, but I did do it - not sure if I should go to week 3 yet or repeat week 2. Any advice?

Wiginn, do what feels right, you can always repeat a week, or even just a day.

I am headed for the Dreadmill in a few minutes for w6d3 and I am dreading that too, but our bodies are capable of more than we think. That being said, I have had to repeat weeks more than once too and sometimes you just need a little more time to get used to the idea!!

zephyr524
01-03-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm starting the program tomorrow. I started running back in the fall and worked up to 3/4 mile in one shot but then life got ahead of me and I didn't have time to continue with it. I've decided that it's time to take time for ME and that my kids and husband can do without me for 30 minutes or so a day..it's not gonna kill them!

mothermavis
01-03-2010, 10:45 AM
W6D3 done!! I am on to week 7 on Tuesday!!

catherinef
01-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I plan on starting C25K as soon as this miserable cold I have clears up. I have the iPod app all downloaded and everything, but then, alas, I got ill, and I'm going to have to wait a week or so. I will definitely check in once I get started. :)

wiginn
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Wiginn, do what feels right, you can always repeat a week, or even just a day.

I am headed for the Dreadmill in a few minutes for w6d3 and I am dreading that too, but our bodies are capable of more than we think. That being said, I have had to repeat weeks more than once too and sometimes you just need a little more time to get used to the idea!!

I gave W3D1 a try today and I did it!! I am doing the program on a treadmill so I slowed down my running pace but did make it through the whole 3 minute segments both times!! Thanks for the advice!!

Hello Nurse
01-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I hope to start c25k in 2010 as well. No start date yet, I am just getting back into an exercise program so I want to get my body used to just walking for 30 minutes first, lol! I also have a previous knee injury so I want to build up slowly, and will probably be repeating days/weeks when I do start. I am thinking of starting it in March maybe? Can't wait to hear about everyone's success to motivate me to get started!

medinazarley
01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
well when i got sick I was on w2d1, so we'll see where i am after 2 weeks of rest. And now its so cold i have to run indoors...and I don't have a treadmill, so i guess its off to the gym for me...

Jilu
01-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I was planning to start two weeks ago, but I came down with bacterial bronchitis that was resistant to the first two antibiotics we tried.

But! I took the dog out for a walk today without wheezing and coughing so I think I'll give a go at starting up this week.

mothermavis
01-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I gave W3D1 a try today and I did it!! I am doing the program on a treadmill so I slowed down my running pace but did make it through the whole 3 minute segments both times!! Thanks for the advice!!

Awesome job! Feels great doesn't it?

makeupforlifee
01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
I started w1d1 the other day but i was still a little sick with a bad cold so it didn't go so well. Trying again today.

Aclai4067
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Well I was ready to resume with W3D1 today and when I get to the YMCA, what do I see? "Cardio Center closed" Well that's annoying, but I'll just go to the fitness center at my apartment complex. I haven't been there since they renovated it can't wait to see it... oh, they changed the locks when they renovated it and I can't get in. What about that gym I work at down town? It's closed for the holiday break (University gym).

This left me with two options: 1- Not run (and hate myself for it), 2- Run outside... in 30 degree weather!!!

I don't do cold. I avoid so much as walking to my car in the cold. So you better believe I am damn proud of myself for running in the cold today. Since I'm not used to outdoor running I went back to week 2, and it was still pretty hard.

makeupforlifee
01-03-2010, 07:39 PM
w1d1 done! awesome!! :)

lostnfound
01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm going to restart the program next week.

pmteub
01-03-2010, 11:09 PM
w2d2 was to be today - but I have been feeling a bit of knee pain, so I am going to go back to week 1 this week.

Along with C25K program I gave started a kettlebell workout.....2010 is off to a great start....now I just need to log my calories.:dizzy:

tilaf
01-04-2010, 12:48 AM
w1d2 done today! And.. I'm still alive!

I have a feeling that I will be doing week 1 twice though. Didn't feel any easier today than it was the first day.

zephyr524
01-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Well I was ready to resume with W3D1 today and when I get to the YMCA, what do I see? "Cardio Center closed" Well that's annoying, but I'll just go to the fitness center at my apartment complex. I haven't been there since they renovated it can't wait to see it... oh, they changed the locks when they renovated it and I can't get in. What about that gym I work at down town? It's closed for the holiday break (University gym).

This left me with two options: 1- Not run (and hate myself for it), 2- Run outside... in 30 degree weather!!!

I don't do cold. I avoid so much as walking to my car in the cold. So you better believe I am damn proud of myself for running in the cold today. Since I'm not used to outdoor running I went back to week 2, and it was still pretty hard.

Now THAT is some commitment!! Great job!!

I did W1D1 today. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be at first but towards the end I was really getting exhausted. I'm super excited though!!

shea5
01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Awesome job, Ashley! Running in the cold is hard, I'm not sure I would have been able to do it.

I've downloaded the Iphone app, and have the music ready to go...I am planning on doing it this evening, after the kids go to bed.

Aclai4067
01-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't have an iphone or itouch (just the old school ipod), so I think I might try to make a C25K program in Garage Band. I've had my Mac for 3 years and never touched this program, so well see how it goes.

I'm kind of contimplating running outside again tomorrow. My sister is an outdoor runner, and I remember her hating running in the cold when she started. But now she prefers it, so I'm feeling like there just might be something to this. I definitely need to get some ear warmers and gloves first though!

cabinwife
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
This will be my third week on week 3. I'm not sure why these 3 minute runs aren't getting any easier for me. I have had a little sinus infection for about a week, so I'm assuming that has something to do with it. I think I may just try to move on to w4d1 and see how it goes.

Ashley - I actually prefer running in the cold as well. It's awful starting out, but once you warm up a little the cold air is pretty refreshing. I always wear ear warmers. Gloves too if it's really cold. Good job!

sue wants to lose
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Can I join in? I am on week four of C25K. I'll be doing the W4D2 workout tonight. I did squats with my husband last night so my legs feel really tight. Hopefully I'll do o.k. anyway.

Cabinwife - the three minute runs didn't get easier for me until I started having to do five minute runs :> Now they feel easy as pie, or at least - they don't make me want to kill myself. I guess it's all relative :)

I've never been a runner - even on the few occasions in my life when I've been fit, I never ran - I rollerbladed or swam or biked or skiied. I'm kind of amazed that I'm sticking with it.

I signed up for a 5K at the end of February to try to keep me on track. I've been running on a treadmill but I'm going to have to make the switch to outdoors soon or I won't be able to run the 5K outdoors...

I started c25K four weeks ago (obviously) but I waited to start changing my eating habits until today. I figured starting during the holidays was probably an exercise in futility.

What kinds of exercises are the rest of you doing on your off days? I'm walking and doing a little weight training.

cabinwife
01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the advice Sue! I think I will go ahead and try w4d1 tonight. It sounds like we have some things in common. Even when I was at my fittest, I wasn't a runner...in fact, I despised it.

I am planning to start strength training on my off days. I don't belong to a gym, so I'm thinking squats, lunges, free weights...those type of things.

zephyr524
01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
on my days off I plan to do walk away the pounds w/the weights.

mothermavis
01-04-2010, 09:13 PM
On my off days, I do Turbojam or the Elliptical.

Awesome job Ashley! I prefer running outside, but there is no chance of that here for a couple months. C'mon spring!!

Tomorrow is another 25 minute run, would love to do something less, but, that's where I've made it to. Gotta do it!!

Oohpujie
01-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Week 8 Day 1 down today. I'm really impressed with myself; never thought I'd be able to run 28 minutes straight. Good job everyone, just keep pushing!

mothermavis
01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Week 8 Day 1 down today. I'm really impressed with myself; never thought I'd be able to run 28 minutes straight. Good job everyone, just keep pushing!

Awesome! I am a week behind you, just finished W7D1, I am whipped, but proud!!

sue wants to lose
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Wow - week 7 and week 8 - you guys are amazing! I still can't imagine running for 25 minutes in a row. Heck, I still can't imagine running for TEN minutes in a row. The five minute runs are hard enough!

Last night I did W4D2, and it was pretty awful - I think mostly because my legs were so sore and jelly-like from the squats I'd done with my husband the night before. (That's the last time I do squats for a while!) I actually ran half and then gave up and got off of the treadmill, but then I felt guilty a few minutes later, got back on and finished it. So I sort of cheated with the rest in between, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.

I guess I will just take my own advice and keep moving forward - soon (hopefully) I'll look back and laugh at when I thought five straight minutes was so hard.

I really need to go get my new shoes this week, I'm hoping they'll make a big difference in how my ankles feel during each run.

Hope everyone has a good day today :)

Aclai4067
01-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Well my Garage Band isn't working so I'll just continue using Robert Ullrey's podcasts for my runs. Today was W2D2, outside in the cold again. But I bought a headband for my ears and wore gloves today so it was better (plus about 8 degrees warmer than Sunday). This was my third run in the new shoes I got for Christmas; they're feeling great!

zephyr524
01-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I just finished w1d2 and it was more difficult than the first day. I didn't increase the speed a little though. Not alot only from 2.6 to 3.0. Now I'm wondering how bad it will be next week. Are you able to catch you breat up during the walking before you start running again. My breathing slows down but not completely... And, how fast are you guys going if your one the treadmill?

Aclai4067
01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I can usually catch my breath. The upside is with longer runs you get longer breaks. I'll be indoors tomorrow so I'll be doing week 3. I started out running 4.8 and have worked up t 5.2 (I walk at 3.4-3.6 depending on how tired or energetic I am that day). I increased my speed very slowly, just a tenth of a mph at a time. I'm not really concerned with my speed yet, I'm focused on developing endurance.

Yelie
01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Woot gonna join in here :) I actually finished C25K last year but didnt really have any goals so sort of just stopped. Now I am on W6D1 for the second time :) This time I am going on to the OneHourRunner program as soon as I am done because I want to run a 10k in May :D

Even when weeks seemed hard, I still moved onto the next week and figured if it wasnt doable I would go back to the previous week but that somehow never happened. Each week seemed hard but not so hard I couldnt do it, just stick with it and if its horrible just go back a week ;)

zephyr524
01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Aclai~ I can't believe you run so fast!! That seems impressive to me!! Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't up the speed a little. Maybe I'll play around a little tomorrow when I do my run. If I need to slow do all I've got to do is turn the dial..

cabinwife
01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Well I went for it and tried W4D1 last night...and I did it! I mean it wasn't pretty and there were several times when I wanted to stop, but I made it through those 5 min runs.

wiginn
01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Well I went for it and tried W4D1 last night...and I did it! I mean it wasn't pretty and there were several times when I wanted to stop, but I made it through those 5 min runs.

Cabinwife - that's awesome! I'm just a week behind you and was really worried about the 3 minute runs this week, but so far have done them just fine although a little slower than my 90 second runs. I'm so nervous about the 5 minute runs in week 4. Your post has me encouraged!

mothermavis
01-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I finished w6d2 tonight, i am so tired....ran in old sneakers, not a good idea, back and knees are both so sore!

Aclai4067
01-07-2010, 10:08 PM
cabinwife- that's awesome! I'm so scared of week 4! But I don't have to worry about that yet.

I ended up running outside again today after all, so I did W2D3. It snowed a little but just enough to be pretty without making the ground wet! Sunday I'll do W3D1 outside. I know I can do week 3 on the treadmill but this will be my first outdoor attempt at it.

zephyr- good luck with raising your speed. Don't change it too fast and wear yourself out. I raised mine VERY gradually. Keep in mind I'm 5'8 and a lot of my height is in my legs, which helps me move faster.

sonickel77
01-07-2010, 10:23 PM
I've just started w1D1 today! I could do it!
The fitness gains I've made over the past 3 weeks have been incredible!

zephyr524
01-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I just finished the first week today. Not intentionally I increased my speed today. When it was time to run the first time I turned the dial to where I thought I had it before (3.0) and instead it made it to 3.2 or 3.3. I was able to do it that first time so I just put it back there from then on. I'm going to enjoy my weekend off and hopefully kill week 2 next week!! I was looking for some 5k races in my area this morning and wasn't able to find any. I did find one 10k the week I'd be finishing up with this program. I'm thinking about signing up for that. I know that I'd not be able to run the whole thing but I could run most of it with a little walk at the in the middle probably. What do you all think. Should I go for it and sign up for the race or not push myself to that point just yet. I know the distance is double then this program..

Aclai4067
01-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey ladies. The thread's been quiet. Maybe a lot of you are on your off days like I am. I start W3D1 tomorrow. I'm pretty excited, but a little disappointed that I'll have to find another park to run it in. The trail in the park where I was running last week is about 60% boardwalk and has been covered in ice since Thursday night. I can't wait for this ice to melt because I really like that trail!

cabinwife
01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Aclai - Good luck on starting w3! This ice has me messed up too. I haven't been able to run for a few days because of it. I hope to be able to get back out there tomorrow. I'm in the south too, Mississippi. I guess we're just not used to all this winter weather!

Aclai4067
01-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Alright, W3D1. I ended up at Piedmont Park which is a little bit of a drive but it's a major park so i figured the main path would be clear of ice by now, and it was for the most part. So about 15 seconds into my first run I feel my underwear shifting a bit. What? woah.. no no nooooo... yup, they fell down to the bottom of my butt :o So I finish my 90 second run, check to ensure no one is behind me, and pull up my undies in a not so descreet fashion. Come run number 2, it happens again! This time people ARE behind me, and probably wondering what on earth that lump under my butt is! So at the end of that run I had to go off the trail and hide behind a tree to pull them up (call me old fashioned, but I just don't shove my hands down the back of my pants in public). Luckily they stayed up for my last two runs. The upside- I was completely distracted from how hard the run was! But seriously ladies, test your panties before wearing them to run in public!

wiginn
01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
W4D1 for me today - and that last 5 minute run (jog) did me in. I only made it 3 minutes at 4.5 and then dropped down to 3.5 to finish it off. 3.5 is usually what I do for my walking parts. Rest day tomorrow and then will give it another try on Tuesday!

mothermavis
01-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Finished week 7 last night on the treadmill, I can sympathize with those of you not liking the ice. We are stuck with it every year from Nov to April. :mad:

zephyr524
01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
W2D1 done! I have to admit that I didn't think running 90 seconds was going to be hard but I struggled a little toward the middle and the end.

cabinwife
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Alright, W3D1. I ended up at Piedmont Park which is a little bit of a drive but it's a major park so i figured the main path would be clear of ice by now, and it was for the most part. So about 15 seconds into my first run I feel my underwear shifting a bit. What? woah.. no no nooooo... yup, they fell down to the bottom of my butt :o So I finish my 90 second run, check to ensure no one is behind me, and pull up my undies in a not so descreet fashion. Come run number 2, it happens again! This time people ARE behind me, and probably wondering what on earth that lump under my butt is! So at the end of that run I had to go off the trail and hide behind a tree to pull them up (call me old fashioned, but I just don't shove my hands down the back of my pants in public).

:rofl: I can honestly say I have never had this happen but you definitely started my day off with a laugh! Congratulations on completing W3D1! Let's hope the rest of your runs go a little better! ;)

zephyr524
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Alright, W3D1. I ended up at Piedmont Park which is a little bit of a drive but it's a major park so i figured the main path would be clear of ice by now, and it was for the most part. So about 15 seconds into my first run I feel my underwear shifting a bit. What? woah.. no no nooooo... yup, they fell down to the bottom of my butt :o So I finish my 90 second run, check to ensure no one is behind me, and pull up my undies in a not so descreet fashion. Come run number 2, it happens again! This time people ARE behind me, and probably wondering what on earth that lump under my butt is! So at the end of that run I had to go off the trail and hide behind a tree to pull them up (call me old fashioned, but I just don't shove my hands down the back of my pants in public). Luckily they stayed up for my last two runs. The upside- I was completely distracted from how hard the run was! But seriously ladies, test your panties before wearing them to run in public!

Does this mean it's time for smaller undies? :) I found this story humorious as well. I hope your next run doesn't give you the same problems..

eroica27
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Yay, I just completed my first attempt. I maintained 20 minutes of continuous motion, although I did the same as all beginners. some would call it lousy, but they can suck it. I rocked.

cabinwife
01-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Congrats eroica! I remember how hard W1D1 was for me and I thought then that there was no way that I would be able to make it to even week 2. But here I am about to start week 5! The fact that you made it through the first one is huge! Just keep at it!

wiginn
01-12-2010, 10:19 AM
W4D2 done! Paced myself for the 5 minute segments and made it through!! Woo-hoo!!

Curious how much distance everyone's covering in their sessions? After I get done with the program, I'm finishing up to walk 2 miles (about 30 min total with the warmup, etc)....3 miles still seems so far off yet.

zephyr524
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm only on week 2 so I'm sure I'm not covering that much distance yet but I have no clue what I'm doing. Today is a rest day for c25k and I think I'll be checking tomorrow when I'm done what my distance is. All I know is I feel like I'm ready to die when I'm all finished.

wiginn
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
All I know is I feel like I'm ready to die when I'm all finished.

I can relate to that, but trust me it does get better! My first couple of weeks I found it very hard to cool down - even after taking a cool shower my body temperature seemed to be elevated for some time....no fun being sweaty after getting ready for work! :-) But I noticed this week that seems to be getting better as well!

shea5
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Finished W1D3 this morning, and it seems to be getting harder, although I'm doing the exact same thing as the last 2 times...maybe switching it up will help. I'm starting W2D1 Thursday, although I'm a little nervous...

Wild Vulpix
01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I want to do c25k!! :D I think I'm going to once the college opens back up so I can use the treadmill at the gym. But honestly, I'm getting kind of scared thinking about it :( But I don't know why!!!

I mean, it'd be really awesome to be able to run 3 miles (or even 1 mile!) but I don't know. Something feels wrong...

Aclai4067
01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Wiginn- I run outside so I have the opposite issue as you. I can't warm up! I mean, I feel plenty warm while I'm running, but after I stop the fat in my thighs seem to hold in the cold until I take a steaming hot shower. But I guess outdoor running in Wisconsin probably isn't adviced this time of year ;). I really don't know how far I'm traveling since I'm not on a treadmill, but I think I'm around 1.6-1.75 miles?

Shea- I say go ahead and try W2D1 on Thursday. You might surprise yourself. And if the 90 second runs are too long, you can always slow down.

Wild Vulpix- Go for it! This is a great program that starts you off nice and slow. The jump from each week to the next can look intimidating but most people surprise themselves by making it. And if you're really too nervous to move on to the next week, you can always repeat the week you're on! Just remember to take it easy and don't push yourself if you're hurting (especially feet, ankles or knees). No one says you have to run at a 10 min mile pace. Find the pace that's comfortable for you and this is totally doable.

cabinwife
01-12-2010, 01:49 PM
shea - I can relate. When I first started, I the W1D3 run was harder for me than the W1D1, but I went ahead and tried week 2 and was able to do it. Just pay attention to your speed, slow down your runs if you have to. You can always build up your speed at the end of the program.

Wild Vulpix - Like Ashley said above, just go ahead and try it. I guarantee you will surprise yourself. To be honest, I usually end up repeating most of the weeks, so don't worry if you have to repeat a few. Even if you are scared, just try. Confession: Each time I'm about to start a new week I get so nervous, but I've always made it through.

Well, tomorrow starts W5D1 for me!! I'm not so nervous about D1 because I was able to do the 5 min runs in week 4. But that 20 min run at the end has got me a little worried. I may repeat W5D2 a couple times depending on how I'm feeling during those 8 min runs.

Aclai4067
01-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Today's been the first day that I just REALLY didn't feel like running. I put it off until 4:30, which is pretty much the latest I can get it in before the temp starts dropping and it starts getting dark. The trail I run on is through the woods so it gets dark a little faster there. I definitely feel like I'm running slower this week than I was on the shorter runs last week. Temp is supposed to be in the 50s on Thursday! I'm pretty excited; I'm so sick of this cold.

encelia
01-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi!!

I'm doing C25k as part of my new training routine and I am really loving it! I finished W2D1 today and while it was tough, it was a really great challenge. I mapped my run and found that I'm covering just over 2 miles during the program (including warm up and cool down).

I was hoping to complete a half marathon next month, but a nasty, nasty case of bacterial bronchitis, which aggravated my asthma, has put that plan on the back burner. So instead, I have signed up to run my first 5k in April. :carrot:

And I have found that since starting C25k, the weight is literally melting off.

mothermavis
01-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Morning all. I finished W8D1 last night. I am almost done!

I need a focus for when I am finished. I am thinking of 1 hr runner, does any one know of any others?

zephyr524
01-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Great job mothermavis!! Have you found it hard moving up during the weeks?

Right now it seems so doable, I'm only on week 2 but when I look at the weeks to come it seems so overwhelming. I'm nervous even for next week. I finished W2D2 today. I didn't struggle as much as I did on Monday but my legs are definately sore!! I didn't cover much distance at all. 1.3 miles but at least I got on and did it! I'm not going for speed or distance right now, I can work on that once I build up to running 30 minutes at a time.

Oohpujie
01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Zephy, I had a huge mental block about week 5. I thought it was impossible, there was no way, I was going to pass out trying to run 20 minutes. Come W5D3, I did it so easily that I could have run longer. Trust the program, it works.

Starting week 9 tonight... almost done!

eroica27
01-13-2010, 02:50 PM
had a lackluster W1D2 and wound up trudging through 6"-8" of snow at a brisk pace. I took my mom's little dog with me and he was fun encouragement as he ran up to me and tapped my legs prompting me to move faster. Have to schedule an early run before work on friday, and plan to do some yoga on my off days.

cabinwife
01-13-2010, 05:38 PM
had a lackluster W1D2 and wound up trudging through 6"-8" of snow at a brisk pace. I took my mom's little dog with me and he was fun encouragement as he ran up to me and tapped my legs prompting me to move faster. Have to schedule an early run before work on friday, and plan to do some yoga on my off days.

That is some serious dedication. That much snow would have definitely kept me inside. Of course, I'm in the south, so about an inch usually keeps us inside! ;)

mothermavis
01-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Zephyr, I agree w Oohpujie, it does work, sometimes I was sure I could'nt do it but I have plugged ahead and tried and only a couple times had to repeat a day when I thought I really wasn't ready to move on.

We are capable of so much more than we think.

cabinwife
01-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Great job oohpujie and mothermavis!! Almost done! That's incredible!

Well, I did W5D1 tonight. It didn't get really hard until that last 5 minute run. I feel like I am definitely ready for those 8 minute runs on Day 2 though!

Oohpujie
01-14-2010, 12:19 AM
30 minutes straight tonight! It went fantastic. I have two workouts left before I'm a C25K grad! Feeling proud of myself.

Cabinwife, I honestly did think week 5 was probably the toughest week for me. My friend who is doing the program with me did W5D2 tonight and she had no trouble with the 8 minute runs. :)

Sarby
01-14-2010, 12:45 AM
I got my boyfriend to join me in the C25K program too :)
We will be doing W2D1 tomorrow.
I was never a runner but already notice an improvement from my first training day. It's inspiring to see a change so fast. I know there will be bad days too, but I'm looking forward to seeing what next week brings!

cabinwife
01-14-2010, 10:52 AM
30 minutes straight tonight! It went fantastic. I have two workouts left before I'm a C25K grad! Feeling proud of myself.

Cabinwife, I honestly did think week 5 was probably the toughest week for me. My friend who is doing the program with me did W5D2 tonight and she had no trouble with the 8 minute runs. :)

Congrats oohpujie!! That is such a huge accomplishment! Week 5 is definitely the one I have been dreading the most. I feel like I am ready to do those 8 min runs, though I know that it will probably get tough during that 2nd one. But I know that 20 min run is definitely going to challenge me.

wiginn
01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
I just want to let all of you know how much I appreciate your posts - I'm in week 4 and love to hear how everyone's staying with the program!

I should have done W4D3 this morning but I opted to hit the snooze button instead. I have been so tired this week....anyone else?

Tomorrow!!!! Keep me honest chickies!

Aclai4067
01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Finished week 3 today. I was a little off my game. I had some mild shin pain on my first run. I don't think it's from my shoes or anything because I felt it from the very first step, like it's from something I did yesterday. But I pushed through and it went away. Then on my last minute of my last run I got a moderate side stitch. I was able to run through it, but it wasn't too pleasant. It may have come from me trying to run too fast. I'll start week 4 on Sunday, this is the first week that really looks intimidating to me. I'm not even gonna think about week 5 yet!

edit- oh yeah, and the weather was amaaaazing today (you know it's been hella cold when this southern girl thinks 49 degrees feels good). Sunny, no wind, perfect running temp!

cabinwife
01-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Ashley - I notice when I'm trying to go too fast, I get those side cramps as well. It just reminds me to slow down a little and breathing deeper usually helps too. Good luck on week 4! I was pretty nervous about that week, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I know you will able to do it since you seem to be moving through the program pretty well. Let us know how it goes!

wiginn
01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Got out of work a little early today so decided to give W4D3 a try - done!! Woo-hoo!!!

mothermavis
01-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Finished W8D2 tonight, let's keep at it everyone!!

My legs are tired, but it's a good tired!

zephyr524
01-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Just finished week 2...here I come week 3!!

mothermavis
01-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Woo hoo Zephyr, way to go!

noemievelyn
01-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Today marks exactly 2 months since I started the RAW VEGAN diet. Two months and 30 pounds are GONE!!!

I completed the 3 Weeks Back to Health Program, detoxed my body, learned about how food affects my body and how to prepare delicious healthy meals. I was a sweets junkie - ice-cream, chocolate, cookies, cake, pie - all things I could never say no to. And I always, always addressed my emotions through food.

After completing the detox and showering my body with healthy raw nutritious food I feel amazing. I have more energy, feel happy, excited and clear headed. My body now rejects the fake, processed, chemically engineered food and there is a huge difference in my mood and energy level. I feel powerful, in control of my food choices and truly educated on the food chain process in this country.

I started at 202 pounds and today I weigh 173 pounds, the healthy weight range for my height and weight is 125 pounds (5'2''/31 years old). 48 POUNDS TO GO PEOPLE!!!!!

I KNOW I CAN DO THIS AND SO CAN YOU. Thank you to Raw Vegan Chef Sara Siso for coaching me through this transformative process, you are absolutely AMAZING!!!

To read more about my journey, go to: girlgonerawaz

wiginn
01-17-2010, 12:42 PM
W5D1 done today!! My running is slow (4-4.5) but was able to do the 5 minute segments each time!

Still waiting for weight loss to kick in.....

zephyr524
01-18-2010, 09:59 AM
WTG wiginn!!! Don't worry about your speed at least you were able to complete the running. By the way...your running way faster then I am!!

I'm about to start w3d1 today. I can't believe I made it to week 3!!

mothermavis
01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
I am running week 9 this week!!

zephyr524
01-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I just finished w3d1 and I found the last 3 minute run to be pretty difficult. I actualy wasn't able to make it though the full 3 min, so I split that one in half. I'm hoping that day 2 I'll be able to make it through completely. I'm trying not to feel to disappointed since I ran the same amount of time as it called for...

Did anybody else have a hard time with week 3?

cabinwife
01-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Congratulations everyone, you are doing so well!

Zephyr - I did find week 3 difficult. In fact, I was scared to move on to week 4 because the 3 min runs weren't getting any easier for me. But I just made myself move on and I was able to do the 5 min runs in week 4 and the 3 min runs didn't seem so bad anymore. Good luck!

mothermavis
01-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Zephyr, I had different times that were really hard, if you need to go back a day to make sure you are ready, just do it. The program is a guideline, you need to adapt it so it works for you.

The last day of week 8 was harder for me than the 1st 2, Just an off day, I guess. Today was my W9D1, about 1/2 way I was sure I couldn't do it, but I did!!

Hang in there!

zephyr524
01-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm thinking I'm going to do a week in between 2 and 3. I think I'm going to keep the 90 seconds the same but decrease the 3 minute run to 2 1/2 and see how that goes on Wed.

Aclai4067
01-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey ladies. So it was raining yesterday and my Mom came into town, so I didn't get my run in. Since I'm going to be out of town next weekend as well I figure I'll just do my runs MWF for this week and next. I'm a little concerned that the extra day off will make my run more difficult, but I'm still going to go ahead and try W4D1 today.

oh, and Happy MLK Day everyone!

Edit- Made it through my run! I definitely took it slow. There's this one big hill on the trail that I've been fortunate enough to only have to walk up on previous weeks. But today I hit that hill right in the middle of the first 5 min run, ugh! It was warm today too, 55 degrees. That's the first day so far that I needed a cold shower after my run. It looks like it's going to be warm all week. Time to break out the short sleeve shirts (just for running that is, it's not THAT warm here)!

wiginn
01-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I just finished w3d1 and I found the last 3 minute run to be pretty difficult. I actualy wasn't able to make it though the full 3 min, so I split that one in half. I'm hoping that day 2 I'll be able to make it through completely. I'm trying not to feel to disappointed since I ran the same amount of time as it called for...

Did anybody else have a hard time with week 3?

Zephyr - W3D1 was hard for me, too. I ended up slowing way down during hte last 3 minute run to a point where I was really just walking very fast. D2 and D3 were much easier.....hang it there - you can do it!!

cabinwife
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Well I got sick last week and never got past W5D1, so I'm going for W5D2 tonight. I hope those few days off won't affect my runs. I am a little nervous but I am going to try to make it through without stopping.

cabinwife
01-18-2010, 10:01 PM
W5D2 - DONE!! :carrot: Those 8 minute runs were tough but not like I thought they would be. I honestly thought doing 3 5-min runs were harder than the 2 8-min runs. Go figure. Wednesday is the big 20 min run. I'm going to try even if I have to stop and walk in the middle of it.

wiginn
01-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Way to go Cabinwife!! I am one day behind you - I am doing W5D2 tomorrow. I hope I do as well as you!!

Oohpujie
01-19-2010, 11:26 AM
sigh... should have done my last run on Sunday... here it is Tuesday. Going to try to do it tonight, but got my period unexpectedly yesterday and that threw my game all off. ; ;

wiginn
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
W5D2 done!! 8 minutes wasn't so bad, but boy does W5D3 have me psyched out. Cabinwife, I'll be watching for your update after that run!!!

cabinwife
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
W5D2 done!! 8 minutes wasn't so bad, but boy does W5D3 have me psyched out. Cabinwife, I'll be watching for your update after that run!!!

LOL! Ahh the pressure! I will definitely let you know how it goes. I know I'm going to be so nervous before I attempt it.

Aclai4067
01-19-2010, 01:37 PM
cabinwife and wiginn- I'm glad you ladies are a week ahead of me. Helps me prepare for what's to come. Good luck with W5D3, that's a scary one!

shea5
01-19-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm glad you are all ahead of me too; lots of positive and detailed reports :)

W2D1 redo (tried this weekend but ran out of road 1/2 way through...dodged traffic for the rest :)) - Not too bad, got it done, but boy were my legs sore after each run; hoping that swimming tomorrow will ease any tightness...

cabinwife
01-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I just checked the weather and saw it's supposed to be raining for the next few nights here...which would put off W5D3 by a few nights and I really don't want to do that. I'm thinking about going ahead and trying it tonight even though I did W5D2 last night. What would yall suggest?

wiginn
01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I just checked the weather and saw it's supposed to be raining for the next few nights here...which would put off W5D3 by a few nights and I really don't want to do that. I'm thinking about going ahead and trying it tonight even though I did W5D2 last night. What would yall suggest?

Sorry, can't give you any guidance on that one - I'm doing this on a treadmill....figured I'd get through the program and then, hopefully before entering into a real 5K, would start to do some running outside. Keep us posted and good luck!!

Aclai4067
01-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Cabinwife- If you aren't feeling sore or anything I supose you could give it a try. Fortunately I have a gym membership, so I'll just switch to the treadmill for rainy days. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

cabinwife
01-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Well girls...I kicked that 20 min run's butt! :carrot: I know yall will be able to do it! I could tell my legs were a little weak from the run last night, but nothing I couldn't push through. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be at all and I think I could have made it 25 mins. Wiginn - I will be waiting on your update! I know you'll surprise yourself just like I did! Good luck!!

k8zilla
01-20-2010, 03:12 AM
HELLOOOO ALLLLLL

Just finished W1D2, I feel incredible. I mean, I'm sure in the morning (a few hours lol) I'll feel like **** because my muscles are angry with me but IN THIS MOMENT I feel good. I started on sunday and it was tough to get through because this is the first time I am doing this or any running program ever. I was also running outside because it was nicer out but my throat killed after because I'm having trouble breathing "like a runner." I'm sure I'll get it eventually. I wont be able to do W1D3 until saturday morning but I'm going to try to use my elliptical a little each day just to keep my legs working.

Just a quick question, do you stretch before, during or after your run each day? I read that you should never stretch cold, so after the warm up maybe? I just don't know if its a bad idea to stop what I'm doing while my muscles are warming up to stretch then get back into it. Hope everyone's doing well with their work outs! Your all so inspiring! that 20 min run is hanging in the back of my head... I can only DREAM of doing 20 min straight.

zephyr524
01-20-2010, 07:31 AM
I stretch a little before my run and then more after. I do know it's better to stretch if you're already warm but I'm not stopping once I start just to stretch. I think when your muscles are cold you just have to be more careful when stretching.

W3D2 in a few minutes..I'm a bit nervous but I'm hopefully that it won't be as bad as Monday

mothermavis
01-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Good luck Zephyr, you can do it.

K8, I stretch a bit before, then I do a warm up walk (warming up muscles!!) then I do a cool down walk and some stretching after. Esp hamstrings for me as they are my biggest hurdle!!

zephyr524
01-20-2010, 08:20 AM
I did it!! It was still difficult but this time instead of walking half way through the last stretch I just slowed down my running a bit and managed to get through it. I'm so much more proud of myself for this run then the one on Monday!! Bring on Friday!

mothermavis
01-20-2010, 08:23 AM
:carrot: Good for you Zephyr. What a great feeling!!!!

geewhizkid
01-20-2010, 05:49 PM
i just started this YESTERDAY i am so excited to be able to run when it gets warm here outdoors around the neighborhood or at the park or something without getting winded and feeling embarassed.

good thread btw i am happy to see it's a program that actually works!

Aclai4067
01-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Hey ladies. So as far as stretching, I only stretch after my run, but it's a good idea to stretch after warm up as well. My sister did marathon training last year and her coach told them to never ever stretch before your warm up for any exercise. A good tip I read in Runner's World today for all you outdoor runners: on really cold days, try doing your warm up inside, that way getting started isn't so miserable!

It's hard to believe I was running in 30 degree weather just last week. It was 60 here today and I was quite warm during my run. I completed W4D2 with a little more speed than day 1, but not much. This is the first week where my legs have felt tired later in the day. Weeks 1-3 were difficult as far as mental hurdles and learning to breathe properly, but week 4 is really starting to challenge my muscles as well.

Speaking of mental hurdles, the hardest part of running for me is the idea that it's hard. Some days I catch myself thinking "OMG this is sooo far, I don't think I can make it." And then I stop (my thinking, not stop running) and really assess how I'm feeling: do my muscles hurt? Can I breathe? What part of me is it that is struggling to make it to the end? And I'll realize that I'm feeling quite fine physically. Sure I'm a little tired, but not more than I would be doing any other cardio. It's my mind that is making this so hard for me. Anyone else really struggling with mental roadblocks in this?

Oohpujie
01-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Well, here it is January 20th.... and I am a C25K graduate!!! woot

Aclai4067
01-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Congrats!

wiginn
01-21-2010, 09:14 AM
YAY - W5D3 is on the books!! I am so excited - I never thought I'd be able to run for 20 minutes straight without stopping! Yes, I did have to slow my pace down a little bit for a few minutes, but then I picked it back up and finished strong! Thanks to everyone posting their progress here - it is helping me so much!!

Everyone - keep at it!! We'll all become runners yet.

Have a GREAT day!!

zephyr524
01-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Congrats on finishing c25k!!!

I have found that my biggest problem this week is the mental aspect of it. I know physically that I CAN do it but my brain is telling me that there is no way I can complete it. I've heard over and over again that our head gives up well before our body does!

cabinwife
01-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Oohpujie - Congrats! I know that's such a great feeling! Are you planning to enter any races?

wiginn - WTG!! It really wasn't so bad, was it? Now I'm confident that I will be able to finish this program!

Everybody is doing such a good job with the program and keeping each other motivated! Let's keep it up!

zephyr524
01-21-2010, 11:01 AM
I forgot to ask this in my other post...

So if your not supposed to stretch before warm up do you stop after the 5 minute walk and then stretch. I hate the thought of getting through the warm up walk and then having to stop to stretch..

wiginn
01-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Zephyr - I do my stretching at the end. It seems to work for me.

Oohpujie
01-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the well wishes! Nah, I'm not planning on running races yet. I am planning on working on my speed, and then doing the OneHourRunner program.... 10 weeks!

Don't let your mind talk you down - all of you can do this!

zephyr524
01-21-2010, 09:53 PM
So I tried to run again tonight. It was really difficult. I was doing W3D3. I started out fine, got through the 90 second run/walk and then went in for the 3 minute. I just couldn't get past 90 seconds though so I walked again for 90 seconds then tried again. Same thing...so agian, I walked for 90 seconds before trying to run. This time I was able to manage to get to 1:45. I was so frustrated I just gave up and went to the couch. :( but after sitting there for a few minutes feeling sorry for myself for not pushing harder I decided to try again. Since my muscles were already warmed up I went right for the 3 minutes. I completed the first one and then the second one came around. I finished the one. I felt the need to push myself a little so I did a third 3 minute run and completed it without falling over or even feeling horrible!

I think I'm going to do one more day of week 3 on Saturday and see how that goes. I'm not sure whether to move on to week 4 or not. I think physically I can do it but mentally right now I'm having a hard time. I'm using the treadmill and it's getting boring. All I think about is the time..how much longer til I can walk.

wiginn
01-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Oohpujie - congrats to you on graduating C25K!! And thanks for continuing to post to keep the rest of us motivated. (I am sorry I didn't comment on that earlier - I was so anxious to post this morning!) :-)

I think you are a fellow treadmill runner? My plan is similar to yours - I want to get through the program (right now I'm doing it based on time, not distance but then want to be sure to get in the distance) and then concentrate on speed.

Can you tell me where you found the One Hour Runner program? I thought I'd seen it a couple of weeks ago and looked for it today and can't seem to locate a link.

Oohpujie
01-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Wiginn, yes I am a fellow treadmill runner... terrible OH winter weather = no way am I running outside haha! The distance is the biggest thing for me, I'm almost running 3miles but I'd like to get to that first before I actually start running in real 5Ks! lol

http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html

There is a link to the OHR plan. It's 10 weeks, much like the C25K, building you up 3x a week. Let me know if you decide to try it!

mothermavis
01-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Well, here it is January 20th.... and I am a C25K graduate!!! woot

I will join you on Sunday!! Week 9 Day 2 today!! I am going to move on to the 1 hr runner with you!!

cabinwife
01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Congratulations mothermavis!! That's awesome!

Thanks for posting the 1 hr runner program! I'm definitely going to look into that!

Well I did W6D1 last night and I felt like that was harder for me than the 20 min run. I think I do better when I'm not stopping and starting. W6D2 is Saturday, then the 25 min run is Monday. I am actually looking forward to it!

Oohpujie
01-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Cabin - I also noticed that I did much better when I was running straight, and not pausing in between to walk. I think it might have had something to do with my heart rate going up so high and then going lower so quickly, a few times in a row. I also actually felt that doing W6D1 was harder than W5D3, but it all evens out in the end. Congrats :)

zephyr524
01-23-2010, 11:21 AM
I did an extra day of week 3 today outside. I made it completely through without having to stop through any of the 3 minute walks. I'm was still really difficult doing the 3 minutes though. I'm torn on what to do next week though. I'm feeling like I should do another week 3 again since I really struggled. It was definately easier today though! I wonder if that has anything to do with running outside though? More things to see then just the wall or tv when I'm on the TM.

Oohpujie
01-23-2010, 02:16 PM
zeph - I'd suggest you try week 4 day 1 out, and see how it goes from there. If you have difficulty, then you can repeat week 3. I have a feeling that you'll do just fine though!

I personally had to redo week 4, but I did it just to work on my speed. If I had kept going, I would have been fine.

For me, running outside is more difficult because I can't regulate how fast I'm going, so I tend to go faster than I'd like. This is why I prefer jogging on a treadmill. I'm also a little OCD about keeping track of my distance/speed, but that's a different story altogether O_o

cabinwife
01-23-2010, 05:55 PM
zephyr - I repeated week 3 because I didn't feel like I was ready to move on to a 5 min run, but even after the second week I still didn't feel ready. Those 3 min runs just never got any easier for me. So I just made myself move to week 4 and I was able to do the 5 min run. So maybe just try it out and see how it goes. I also run outside. It seems to go by faster for me that way. I don't do well on a treadmill because I get so bored. Plus it's better if I can't see how much time I have left.

Well I'm about to head out to do W6D2 before the rain hits!

mothermavis
01-24-2010, 02:51 PM
C25K Graduate!! On to the one hour runner on Tuesday!!

zephyr524
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
WTG mothermavis!! After finishing this last week I'm really excited to be done with this program. It's a neat feeling already just being able to look back 3 weeks ago and see how far I've come. So exiciting!

I woke up this morning with pretty sore legs. My shins especially hurt though. What should I do to help them feel/get better. I'm thinking it's shin splints. Ice or heat? Should I keep going or take a break until they feel better? Do you know if there are any stretches/exercises I should be doing to help?

mothermavis
01-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Zephyr, I would say rest it for a bit & Google shin splints, for treatment suggestions, everything I found comes back to Rice.

Are your shoes good? By that I mean not old and are they running shoes? I have awful hip and knee pain when my sneakers are not right. I tried running one night around week 7 in old sneakers, thought I would fall down the stairs the next am because I was so lame.

cabinwife
01-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Zephyr - I second the good shoes suggestion by mothermavis. When I first started this program, my shins and knees were both killing me. After a few weeks, I decided to invest in a good pair of running shoes. The difference is amazing. Of course if you already have a good pair, this doesn't apply to you. :) I know there are some stretches or exercises out there you could do to help with shin splints.

mothermavis - Congratulations! Keep us updated on how the one hour runner is going. I am thinking of doing that once I am a fellow graduate!

zephyr524
01-25-2010, 08:03 AM
So, I woke up this morning and my legs/shins felt much better a little stiff and sore yet but nothing to bad. So I figured I'd give week 4 a shot and stop if they got to sore or tight. I made it through the first 3 and 5 minute runs and half way through the other 3 min. one they started hurting so I stopped. I never thought I'd be able to even do as much as I did and if my legs weren't so sore I think I could have finished it out!

wiginn
01-25-2010, 09:39 AM
W6D1, done. Like the others of you who said this one was hard, I agree. I think mine might have been due to too many rest days in between runs....I had a busy weekend and didn't get on the treadmill at all.

Oohpujie
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Good job on finishing, mother!

Zeph - definitely get better shoes if you don't have decent running ones. I had to get new shoes around week 3 because my shins were hurting. Haven't had a problem since. I also started taking vitamins around that time, a multiV and a calcium pill. Stretching helps.

UpNorthMi
01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Today was D1W1 for me. At times it felt easy and at others, it was a chore. I have not "jogged" for probably 30 years - high school. I did download the podcast from ullreys and found it helpful. I walk indoors on a rubber track around an indoor ice rink. Not very scenic but Spring will come eventually.

cabinwife
01-25-2010, 09:48 PM
upnorth - I remember struggling through W1D1 and thinking there is no way I will ever be able to run for 30 minutes. I was barely able to make it all the way through some of those 60 second runs. I have never been a runner, even when I was in shape and a little size 8. But just hang in there, you will surprise yourself again and again. Keep us updated with how it's going! You will find lots of motivation in here!

Well everyone, I finished week 6 tonight. That 25 minute run was TOUGH, but I made it through it. I seriously don't think I could have run for a minute longer. Luckily week 7 doesn't go any longer than a 25 min so I'll have a week to get used to it.

UpNorthMi
01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I didn't have as big an issue with breathing and stamina (it is only D1) but the tendonitis is another issue. I really want to do this program but my husband is skeptical and afraid that I'll do more harm than good. I just got a prescription for Meloxicam - an anti-inflammitory. So I am hoping that with good stretching and the meds, I can move ahead. Does anyone else have the same issue? I also have hallux limitus in the right toe joint but that has not been bad since I bought Avia's Motion Shoes. A nice "rocker" shoe - probably more for walking than running.

I refuse to use some foot issues as an excuse to do nothing and just sit around.

So until I do D2 tomorrow I will visit the Wii for some yoga and maybe a few balance games.

zephyr524
01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I did w4d1 again today and this time was able to get all the way through the program! I did the run outside and really feel like it's easier for me then running on the treadmill. It definately passes the time alot faster. I'm not sure what mileage I should have had today but I was able to do 2.2 miles.

cabinwife
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
WTG zephyr! Maybe it's the treadmill that's contributing to the pain in your shins??? I just know that I cannot run on a treadmill to save my life. It seems like the last time I ran on one I had shin splints. Who knows? Just keep running outside when you can and maybe that will help.

zephyr524
01-26-2010, 02:37 PM
It really good be something with the treadmill. With that i have a hard time finding the right speed. I feel like I'm either going to fast or slow and can't find just the right speed. Once my hubby is off of over time I plan on running outside in the morning before he goes to work. Hopefully by that time it won't be so cold outside!

shea5
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
W2D2 today, and I'm having a kind of weird issue; when I finish a run segment, my legs tighten up immediatly after I stop running and feel like they are cramping up. Almost wants to make me keep running to avoid it...

zephyr524
01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
W2D2 today, and I'm having a kind of weird issue; when I finish a run segment, my legs tighten up immediatly after I stop running and feel like they are cramping up. Almost wants to make me keep running to avoid it...

are you cooling down before you stop completely? and are you stretching after running? Weird... I hope it gets under control soon!

mothermavis
01-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Upnorth, check with the Doc who gave you the script, see what they think. Good luck!!

Zeph! :carrot: :carrot: !!

Shea, are you slowing down too much or not enough? Maybe try a different walk speed. Hope you get it sorted out.

Cabinwife, I agree, hate the treadmill too , but its my best option in the frozen north til at least March!!

W1D1 OHR, in the books!!

UpNorthMi
01-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Has anyone tried this with the Wii's Free Run? It is only 10 degrees here and the indoor rink in not heated. I don't think it too wise to run in that temp as such a beginner. I'll try the podcast while on the Wii and see how it goes - besides being a lot warmer!:?:

cabinwife
01-27-2010, 01:56 PM
upnorth - I have done the free run on Wii but haven't tried it with the C25k. I'm not sure how it would work out. Will you be running in place or around the house? Let us know how it goes.

Just Jess
01-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm new to this forum and am trying to get a feel for stuff. What is C25K? I understand there is a week number and a day number, but where do your get the information? Help! please.:?:

Aclai4067
01-27-2010, 03:07 PM
the Couch to 5K (C25K) program is on coolrunning.com Just google it and you'll find it. You can also download C25K apps for iPhone and iTouch, or download podcasts on iTunes. I run with the Ullreys podcasts. Essentially it's a 9 week program to train you from being a non-runner to running a 5k. You run three days per week, weeks 1-4 you complete the same run each day of the week. Starting week 5 you'll have a different run each day.

Aclai4067
01-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Hey ladies. I ran W4D3 today...kinda. I was supposed to run W4D3 last Friday but decided to take some time off. I re-injured my knee on the leg press Tuesday of last week, and further aggrivated it with my run on Wednesday. So today was my first day back to running but my knee still isn't 100%. The pain is minor but I'm afraid of pushing it and making things worse. I skipped one of the 5 min runs and avoided the hill today.

I'm just really afraid that if I take too much time off I'll lose all my progress. I was feeling my leg muscles last night and thought: if I'm not running and not doing the leg press this is going to turn into mush in no time! I don't want to lose muscle weight! I'm just so torn on how to handle this. I kind of want to talk to a doctor about what the best course of action is, but my insurance is crap. And I feel like all he'll tell me is to lose weight and stop running. I don't want to put off running until I reach goal; that's too far away!

Just Jess
01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm supposed to be training to walk a half marathon in April but have yet to start!! haha:o Maybe this will help me...Jess

zephyr524
01-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Aclai~ Can you slow down a little and not push so much right now? Just think if your knee isn't ready for you to keep going you may be off of running for longer then if you rested your knee for a little while longer. Good luck though!!

I feel like I'm lacking motivation(maybe) or something.. I'm really having a hard time running on the treadmill. The treadmill has worked just fine for me up until this week and I feel like now I'm just having a really hard time. I tried w4d2 this morning but didn't even make it half way...I quit. I do plan on doing the run this evening outside after my husband gets home and can stay with the kids. I'm confident that I can get through the run outside with no problem!!

On another note...I signed up for my first 5k races. It's on April 17 and if all goes well and I don't have to repeat any weeks I'll be finished with C25K end of Feb./beginning of March. I'm so excited!!

wiginn
01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
W6D2 completed today. I've been feeling sluggish this week, but did get through my run today!!

I am worth it
01-28-2010, 06:55 PM
I re-injured my knee on the leg press Tuesday of last week, and further aggrivated it with my run on Wednesday.
I'm just really afraid that if I take too much time off I'll lose all my progress.
I'm just jumping in here. Is this a muscle injury or a bone/cartilage thing?
I've had a quad injury that has plagued me for the last 2+years and prevented me from accomplishing any of my fitness goals. Finally I was ready to do it my body's way. I wish I could have afforded the 3 weeks of therapy my Dr. suggested. Instead I searched the internet for various physical therapy exercises to help strengthen that part of my muscle and I stretch. I tried doing a warm up before stretching, but that would set it off too. So now I stretch before, during and after any workout involving my legs. I also do a mile cool down after any running- and then stretch! If I get that warm, not so fuzzy feeling, I use RICE, and take a couple days off. I'm a week & 1/2 half behind on my C25K, and I might not make the March race I was planning on, but there's another race in May. Its the only I can keep moving forward.

Do what your body needs. MODIFY! Knee injuries are nothing to mess with!:hug:

mothermavis
01-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Ashley, I too have a wonky knee. Try to let it heal, if you miss a couple runs, you may need to go back a week, but you will not lose all your progress. Take care of you!!

oodlesofnoodles
01-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Hey guys I have a question about C25k. Does it matter if I do it outside or on the treadmill? Cos it's a little more convenient to do it on the treadmill for me. I finished W1D2 today and it seems fine. I'm just wondering.

For some reason today I felt all emotional every time I finished the run segment.. the entire time I was doing it I was thinking about how badly I want to achieve my goals. It was like a motivational speaker was in my head haha.

I don't smoke anymore so running isn't AS hard as it used to be, but I've never been a runner. I know people who complete the program say it all the time... but I'm still scared of not being able to do it or something. Like when the longer runs come along, and I won't be able to push myself or something. I dunno. I'm diggin this so far. My only complaint is the back of my calves are a little sore, but I expected that. Yay C25K!

zephyr524
01-29-2010, 08:56 AM
oodles~ It doesn't make any difference whether you do it on the treadmill or outside. Whatever works better for you. Just take one week at a time and you'll get there! The longer runs to scare me too, especially since I should be moving on to w5 next week.

I gave w4d2 another try last night. I almost completed it. I ran outside and the first 5 minute run was into the wind and I didn't have it in me to do that all in one shot. I got throug the first 2 minutes and then had to walk for a little while but then went right back into the 5 minute run instead of the 3 minute and then got another 3 minutes in at the very end. So, I guess I did complete it just not exactly like they said to do it. I'm not sure whether to go onto week 5. This whole week has really been a challenge...

mothermavis
01-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Zeph, I would probably repeat it. What ever you do will be right for you!

encelia
01-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Another question- at what point do you start worrying about how fast you're going (or in my case, not going). I'm doing C25k on a treadmill and I'm lucky if I can get up to 4mph when running. The rate I'm going now, it'll take an hour or more to finish a 5k.

mothermavis
01-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Encelia, I think it's a personal choice, I used all my worry about doing it first, but I try to run a bit faster each time, I have finished C25K but am still upping my speed each time, trying to get to and maintain 6.0 for the whole 30 minutes. I'll get there.

lackadaisy
02-01-2010, 12:39 AM
I just finished Day 1 of C25k yesterday and going on Day 2 tomorrow, so I wanted to say hi to all you girls!! I'm so excited to burn off my poor eating decisions this weekend (yuck).

So far, so good. I actually did half of the run on an inclined elliptical machine because all the treadmills were taken so I like to think I got a little extra burn that way ;) So great to join everyone in fitness in 2010!

oodlesofnoodles
02-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Man I finished W1D3 yesterday, and to my utter shock and amazement, I felt like I could have kept running. I just stared at the same spot on the wall and listened to the music and focused of my breathing.

I've never actually finished the first week of C25K, and though it's not much, I'm still really excited!

zephyr524
02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
I've decided I'm going to try W5 this week. I know that it's going to be a challenge but I'm up for that and feel like I could do the 5 minute runs. We'll see how it goes and if need be the rest of the week will just be W4..

Wish me luck this morning...

ETA: Ok so I just finished W5D1. I can't believe I was able to complete it! It felt like a little bit of a push but I was able to push through the hard times and complete it. I'm not sure that I'll be attempting d2 since I had such a hard time last week and even today wasn't "easy". I feel like if I can get outside for D2 then I may be able to do it. We will see what happens though!

cabinwife
02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Good job zephyr! I took a bit of a break so I'm doing W7D3 tonight. That 25 min run is still hard for me. It literally takes every ounce of energy I have in me just to finish it. And to think...the 28 min run is coming in two days!!!

wiginn
02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Way to go, zephyr! Stick with it!

Cabinwife - you are even more ahead of me now! Good job!! I *tried* to do W6D3 on Saturday and it kicked my butt - my legs just felt so heavy - so I decided to repeat week 6. W6D1 done (again) today. Hopefully I can nail it this week.

zephyr524
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
How hard was it going from W5D2 to D3? I don't know how I'll be able to do that amount of time!

BTW..great job girls on doing the longer runs!

cabinwife
02-01-2010, 11:01 PM
zephyr - don't let D3 psych you out. To be completely honest, I thought that the 20 min run was much easier than the multiple shorter runs. I think it had something to do with the starting and stopping and my heart rate going up and down that made it harder for me. I know a few people on here have felt the same thing. I would say just go ahead and try it, slow down your run if you need to, but you will definitely surprise yourself. I know you can do it! :carrot:

wiginn - Those 25 min runs are so hard for me as well. My legs feel like they can't take another step when I'm done. I'm sure I'm a sight to see during the last few minutes of those runs. The neighbors are probably getting a good laugh and taking bets on when I'm going to fall on my face. I really have to dig down deep and push myself to make it through 25 min. I slow down my run toward the end so I can make it through. I figure I can pick up speed after I've finished the program. I have my fingers crossed that you will make it through. You can do it!

I did my last 25 min run tonight and it was HARD! I could even feel it in my back muscles...??? I don't know how I will ever add 3 min more to it but we'll find out Wed. night. Week 8 here I come! I never thought I would make it this far! Everybody should be so proud of themselves!

zephyr524
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
I just completed W5D2!!!! I'm so excited and ready for it yet still a little terrified of D3 but I know I can do it!!

Oohpujie
02-03-2010, 09:28 AM
gah.... slacker. I haven't run in a week because my friends from out of town came for Ohayocon (anime/video game/etc convention). I'm going tonight! I hope I don't have to repeat any weeks of C25K :[

oodlesofnoodles
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Omg good job everyone! It's great to hear how you guys are doing... to see what's in my future. Woooo.

I did W2D2, and it wasn't too bad. I stuck one of my boyfriend's little sister's rhinestone butterflies directly in front of me on the wall, turned my iPod up, and just started at it. It REALLY helps for some reason. Then I tried to do my leg workout today, despite warnings NOT to. It was a bad idea. I thought I was going to collapse so I stopped halfway through it. I guess I'll finish tomorrow. I can't wait for week 3....

encelia
02-04-2010, 03:36 AM
I did W3D1 yesterday and it felt GREAT! I'm really scared about the longer runs coming up, though. Oh, and I increased my speed a bit as well! I think I'm getting more confident on my treadmill.

Missita
02-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm getting ready to start this! I'm off to the gym for W1D1! Wish me luck!

zephyr524
02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
I completed W5D3 yesterday on to week 6 tomorrow!! It was amazing. I didn't struggle as much as I thought I would. Granted, I did run alot slower then I normally do but I was able to finish it so I was content with that. I can't believe this is my last week of intervals! I'm so ready!!

eviemc
02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I did this last year and never got past week 3 (we moved, long story) Anyway I saw the app for Android and downloaded it so this way I can listen to my music and have the cues at the same time. I am starting tomorrow!

A Better Tomorrow
02-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I just downloaded the app for my itouch and fully intend of starting tomorrow after class. can't wait!!! i'm super jazzed about the app! :carrot:

zephyr524
02-08-2010, 11:17 AM
eviemc and A better tomorrow~ Good luck today!! You'll do great I'm sure!! It's a great program!

I did W6D1 today! I can't believe that I've come this far already. I increased my speed today. I've been going really really slow until now when I'm on the treadmill (around 3.0) Today I increased it to between 3.8-4.0. I feel like I go faster when I'm outside but I don't want to be the slowest person when I do my 5k race in April. I'd like to get up to at least a 10 minute mile or really close to it! A 20 minute miles just isn't acceptable to me!!

shea5
02-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Week 3 coming up for me tomorrow; I'm a little nervous...I am taking a lot longer than I expected, but I think I'll be ok;

oodlesofnoodles
02-08-2010, 09:35 PM
I restarted week 2 today. I felt like I could have done week 3, but slow and steady wins the race. I haven't ran since last wed so I think I need to redo this.

However I had a slight ache in my left inner leg while I was running. It was the first I'd ever felt it. I thought maybe shin splints, but I looked into it and it doesn't seem like that fits. Then I found some stuff on stress fractures, and I'm scared that's what it is.

I'm terrified that it's a stress fracture. I don't want to stop running. I love it. I love this program! The race for the cure is in May, and I want to sign up for it. I emailed my doctor, so we'll see..... Has anyone ever had a stress fracture?

zephyr524
02-08-2010, 10:31 PM
oodles~ How well are you stretching? Are your ankles swelling at all? Does it hurt when you walk or run? Listen to your body and if you feel like you need to slow down the do it!

I had similar pain when I tried running last year. I'm not sure what I did because my doctor never wanted to see me but both of my ankles were swollen for weeks and it hurt just to walk normally. It did eventually go away on it's own.

cabinwife
02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I haven't run in a week, and still haven't started week 8. I blame TOM and this unexpected snow storm we just got. I'm thinking tomorrow night everything should be clearing up and I can go for the 28 min run. Now I'm really nervous since I have been off for a week!

WTG zephyr! It just gets easier from week 6!

oodlesofnoodles
02-09-2010, 02:14 PM
zephyr - No, no swelling. Today I feel the pain even when I walk. It's halfway down my left shin, on the inner side. It doesn't feel like muscle pain, but if it was a stress fracture it seems like it would take longer to develop? I had one in my foot once (when I was at my height weight), and it got progressively worse until I realized my foot was broken haha.

I'm going to call the advice nurse today and maybe schedule a short appointment, and annoy them until they give me a proper scan so I don't have to "wait" for an actual fracture to appear on an X-Ray.

zephyr524
02-09-2010, 09:56 PM
oodles~ I hope you hear from the doc and can get your pain figured out! Fingers are crossed for you that it's not a stress fracture.

Cabin~ I'll be you'll great! Can't wait to hear out it is after a week of not running.

I gave w6d2 a shot tonight and didn't really make it. I did run for 12 minutes the first time without stopping and then the second run was only about to do about 2 or 3 minutes before my calves got really tight so I decided to stop. I'm content with what I did and know that I can do it on Thursday! I'm just gonna stretch my calves alot tomorrow and hope that is enough to be able to make it through.

MakingSkinny
02-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey, can I join you all?

I started the program last week, and am gearing up to start week 2 on Friday.

I'll admit I had my doubts when I decided to start doing this. I thought for sure I was too fat to run, ya know? Then I watched last week's Biggest Loser and watched all those contestants, who are much fatter than I am, run full out for 5 minutes on the treadmill, and realized that if they could do it, I certainly could!

I actually kind of surprised myself. I know I'm not fit. I thought for sure the cardio aspect of it would be what was going to kill me trying to do this program. Turns out that the cardo wasn't that difficult... it was my aching legs! Geesh! LOL I've been pushing through it, and I just keep telling myself that as the weight comes off, my legs won't have as much weight to hold and it will keep getting easier.

I've set a lofty goal for myself... to run the 5k in my city's Marathon By The Sea in August. I'm askeered!

cabinwife
02-10-2010, 10:55 AM
MakingSkinny - We'd love for you to join us! I felt just like you when I started. I had my doubts everytime a new week came up but I did it. You will continue to surprise yourself with this program. I still get the aching legs, but it's getting better. I can definitely tell where I've built up some muscle though. I think you will definitely be able to run that 5k in August. Keep us updated!

MakingSkinny
02-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome, cabinwife! I tell you, if someone had said to me 6 months ago that I'd be planning on running a 5k, I would have fallen over laughing LOL

Katy05
02-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone! I started the C25K program on Monday and was really excited to see this thread here! I'd love to to join in and share with you my progress through out this program. W1D1 felt great - I surprisingly didn't want to stop! Today is W1D2!

When y'all are doing the C25K workout on any given day, do you do additional excerise that day?

Aclai4067
02-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I've done weight training on the same day a time or two, but usually not. I've found that even though I CAN workout for 90 min every day, I have a much easier time motivating myself to workout for 30-45 min a day. I stay more consistant when I keep my workouts short

Missita
02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
W1D2 was yesterday for me! While I was running I was thinking ahead to week 2 and worrying a little bit. So far it seems that runs 3-6 are the most difficult for me, so while I was pushing myself to run a full minute I was wondering how in the world I'm going to be able to run for a minute and a half for week 2.
I've decided now that I'll worry about that when I get there; I've still got another day left in week 1, after all!

ubergirl
02-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Oh hey, I'm glad I found this thread.

I'm ECSTATIC that I made it through Week 4 Day One yesterday. Suddenly it seemed like a lot more running-- it seemed a lot harder than week 3 which was kind of easy...

Am I the only one who sometimes does the workouts back to back?

I often lift on the same day-- but afterwards.

k8zilla
02-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Hello all. I've been M.I.A. for a few weeks now. i was in week 2 of the C25K program, starting to feel great about my new work out routine... and then i got hit on the highway from behind by a drunk driver and put on a couch for three weeks with a fractured knee! NO WORRIES, it was an insane accident, car flipped a few times and spit me out onto the highway, but I had hardly anything wrong besides sprains, bruises and scratches. A miracle... and NOW i just want to get my life back together. Starting physical therapy this week, hoping to get up to a jog over the next few weeks... I had started all of this to take part in a charity 5k on March 20th. I'm glad that its a walk/run because I AM DOING this no matter what. I'm going to start the program over, and still enjoy reading about all of your progress. You ladies keep me goin! such an inspiration. Hopefully my next post is about me getting back in the swing of things with this program and i wish you all LUCK

Aclai4067
02-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Wow, so glad you're okay! Good luck with your physical therapy. With that attitude, I'm sure you'll do great!

encelia
02-11-2010, 04:28 AM
So much great encouragement on here!

I finished w3d3 today and my mile has improved by FOUR MINUTES! Really looking forward to w4.

Loving Me
02-11-2010, 04:28 AM
Just found this thread, hope it's ok to join in?
I'm just about to go to the gym and start W2D1! I'm really scared lol, I have run for 90secs before, but not 6 times! I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

Loving Me
02-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Just got back from the gym, and I did it!!!! I had to manually adjust the speeds today because I didn't want my program changing straight away in case I couldn't do it, so it was a bit of a PITA and didn't feel to flow too well, but I managed it and think once I get it programmed for me it should be easier.
I cannot for a second even think about Week 3 yet lol but I will see how this week goes and maybe extend it if I'm struggling. We'll see, but I did W2D1 and I'm so proud of myself!!

zephyr524
02-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Loving Me~ Great job!!! I think you'd suprise yourself with week 3. I've found that running is mostly mental and if I can put my mind to it then my body can do it! Keep up the good work though!!

K8zilla~ Wow, I'm so glad your ok. What a scary thing! Just take your time and heal yourself good before you start running again. I'm sure the physical therapy will do good for you! Welcome back...

I'm debating if I'm gonna do W6D2 again today or wait until tomorrow. I'm not sure how I'll do though because my back is sore from all the shoveling yesterday. I may just do the elliptical today and save the run for tomorrow. I just want to get my run in!! (I never thought I'd say that with enthusiaum!)

Katy05
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I finished W1D2 yesterday and found myself not wanting to stop running at times. Like you, zephyr, I just want to get my next run in already!

encelia
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I finished W1D2 yesterday and found myself not wanting to stop running at times. Like you, zephyr, I just want to get my next run in already!

That's awesome! During week 1, I would get through half the program and then end up screaming "Robert Ullreys, you are a sadistic moron!" (I'm using the Ullreys podcasts). It was really awful.

Now I'm starting week four and I'm loving it. My endurance is waaaaay up and my times are faster.

My biggest fear lies in the weeks ahead... my best mile was 12 minutes and that was around 8 years ago. I could never run past that mile and would always stop after 12 minutes. How in the WORLD am I going be able to run 30 minutes straight?! :o

Loving Me
02-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I had a brainstorm this morning lol. At the moment I'm doing my running at the gym, Just did W2D2 at the gym (couldn't breathe the last 20secs of my last 90, no idea how I'm ever going to do 3mins at a time!).
Thing is, I really want to start running outside and see how different that feels, I've heard it affects your speed etc. But I couldn't figure out how I would time the intervals, other than keeping an eye on my watch all the time.
Then I suddently remembered, I downloaded Robert Ullrays podcasts to my ipod a while back. I'm meant to use those aren't I?! Duh, why did it take me so long to figure that out lol.

oodlesofnoodles
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
k8zilla that's crazy!! It's great that you're alive, wow. Good luck with the rehabilitation, you sound so determined, that's really good.

So W2D3 for me. I went to the doc about my leg and he didn't think it was a stress fracture, but gave me an X-Ray to make me feel better haha. Gave me the green light to keep working out, just told me to slow it down to a moderate jog (which I was doing, but I slowed the jog down even more.) My leg still hurts a bit when I'm running though, but not all the time, so I think this weekend will be a good break for me. I'm going to try to sign up for the Race for the Cure. Maybe con my brother into doing it with me haha. Hope everyone has a good 3 day weekend!

And hey Loving Me, maybe try to slow your run down. I currently jog reaaaallly slow, like 4.2 MPH, and I don't really get out of breath at all. Although I used to, all through grade/middle/high school, and I think that was because I was trying to move too fast. When I bump up my speed to much I get out of breath really easily. I don't really know much about running, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt lol.

Missita
02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Just completed W1D3! I'm so excited to have completed week 1, I almost can't wait for week 2! :carrot:

shea5
02-12-2010, 06:34 PM
:carrot:Lots of new people..glad to see so much excitement!!

I've still not started week 3; I'm having some trouble fitting it in actually, since I just lengthened my weight lifting. I think I'll be able to go back to stacking c25k/weight circuits on tuesday, thursday, saturday. Not sure how that will affect everything, but since I'm trying to do a 5k in March and a sprint triathalon in May, it seems I'll have to double up some days.

Keep up the good work everyone!

zephyr524
02-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Just completed W6D2 today! I'm a day behind because I struggled with D2 on Wednesday and did that again today. I actually had to stop after the first 10 minute run to go to the bathroom and then just went right back into running so in a sense I did W6D3...

I'm off for the weekend. and just gonna go right into week 7 since there is no difference to d3 to week7..

ubergirl
02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Was stuck inside during the snowstorm, so after completing W4d1, I followed up with repeating w3day3....

Normally I try to stagger running days with swimming days, but sometimes I'm stuck home or travelling and can only get to the treadmill. Is it really that bad to run more than 3 x a week?

KDM322
02-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Just found this thread....I'm on W5D3...

I've never been a runner and this program is actually working!!! I started back in January and dreaded each new week bc I wasn't sure how I'd run 3min or 5 min or 8 min...let alone 30min! But, I'm beginning to think it's possible! lol Until this past week, I followed the plan to a T...then, this week (#5) I've D1 & D2 twice to help my body get used to running for the long times...I should've did D3 (20min jog) yesterday, but was too busy...plan on doing that tonight....I've been doing it on a treadmill and I usually warm up at 3-3.2mph then jog at 5mph and walk at 3mph...is 5mph too fast or too slow??? It's definitely not going to allow me to reach 5k in 30min!! or maybe I'll be able to run faster closer to wk 9????

Glad to have found this thread!!!

Aclai4067
02-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Whatever speed feels right for your body is good. When I was on the treadmill I was running 5.1-5.2 mph.

KDM322
02-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I RAN FOR 20 MINUTES STRAIGHT!!!!!

I can't believe it! I actually completed W5D3 without stopping OR giving up!!! The first 10min weren't that bad, then I looked at the time & realized I was halfway there....then 2min later, I realized I was almost at a mile (not counting the 5min warmup)...and that made me excited! all in all, I ran (well, rather jogged) slightly over 1.5mi...I started out at 4.5mph, then upped it to 4.6 for a minute or so, then back down to 4.5mph until the last 3min, & at that time i actually upped it to 5mph!!! I still can't believe I ran 1.5mi!!!!! :carrot:

Starting Wk6 tonight...should be easy after last night...HaHa...we'll see!!!

zephyr524
02-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Way to go KDM!!!!

I just did W6D3! I even added an extra 2 minutes at the end. I didn't run near as fast as I'd like. I'm still really slow. I averaged between 3.7-4.2 for most of the run. I figure once I complete the program I can work on speed for my race in april. I still can't beleive I'm transforming into a runner! I love it!

KDM322
02-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the advice Aclai! My body liked the 4.5 for the longer run of 20min, so I plan on listening to it for the rest of the program!! :)

Zeph--I'm beginning to think anything faster than a walk will do! lol and I too will work on speed once the program is completed...when you say you added an extra 2min...is that an extra 2min of running at the end of the assigned 25min??? WOW!!! Awesome job!

Just did W6D1...surprisingly harder than I expected...I stayed at 5mph for the runs...finished w/a 6min cool down of walking...I usually do 4-6min at the end just to cool down my legs...I didn't see where they called for that in the program, but they say to do a 5 min warmup, so I figure I need the cool down also! :D

oodlesofnoodles
02-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Yay Krista! That's sooo exciting! Congrats, you're doing great. It's really awesome to see people further in the program than me to see what I'll get to do. I wish I could run that fast =[ I tried it for the last 90 second run I did, but I got winded pretty fast (and figured my heart rate was uncomfortably high) so I lowered my speed again.

And zephyr I'm doing the same thing you're doing, speed-wise. My focus is actually finishing the program; I can work on speed later lol.

Loving Me
02-15-2010, 06:18 AM
I did W2D3 yesterday but going to repeat a day tomorrow. I will try W3D1 on Thursday for the first time.
I'm doing 8k an hour speed, which works out at just under 5mph and when I look at everyone else on the treadmill they are running at 10 plus kph and I feel soooo slow. I think I'm going to have to slow down even further as well to get through the following weeks. I feel like I'm more or less walking compared to them and that's hard to accept.
Feeling a bit disheartened right now, can't believe that I'm ever going to be able to finish the program, let alone speed up.

Primm
02-15-2010, 07:24 AM
I started again yesterday, and I'm doing W1D2 tomorrow. I did it last year, and then got really slack and stopped. Big mistake.

But I'm back into it now. Looking forward to it - I missed my running.

zephyr524
02-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I did W2D3 yesterday but going to repeat a day tomorrow. I will try W3D1 on Thursday for the first time.
I'm doing 8k an hour speed, which works out at just under 5mph and when I look at everyone else on the treadmill they are running at 10 plus kph and I feel soooo slow. I think I'm going to have to slow down even further as well to get through the following weeks. I feel like I'm more or less walking compared to them and that's hard to accept.
Feeling a bit disheartened right now, can't believe that I'm ever going to be able to finish the program, let alone speed up.

Don't compare yourself to what others are doing!!! You'll have a really hard time succeeding them and really the only thing that matters is that YOU are doing this! You're doing great and don't let anything else make you feel like you are!

KDM~ Yep, I added another 2 minutes at the end of the 25 so I did 27. I only did that because I wanted to get to 2 miles and I refused to let myself stop until I did that. I figured I just did 25 what is another 2.

All through this program I've not had a problem with shin splints or muscle pain until now... I'm not sure if I'm not stretching enough but my groin area at my right leg bothers me once I get to around 10 minutes of running. I keep pushing through it though because it really isn't that bad. I'm not sure how else to stretch it other then sitting on the floor with my legs apart leaning forward and then doing the butterfly( I think that's what it's called.)..

Aclai4067
02-15-2010, 12:59 PM
zephyr- how long are you holding your stretches? My sister's coach told them to hold stretches for no less than 40 seconds! I think most people (myself included) do more like 10-20 seconds

zephyr524
02-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm probably only holding them for more like 20 seconds. I had no idea that I should be holding it for longer.

Mzthang77
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Hey guys...

I am on W4D1 and I did all the runs up until the last 5 minutes. I could only run for three minutes. I walked the last 2 minutes fast.

should I go back to week 3 or continue on with week 4 and push it?

Katy05
02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
It's so exciting to read everyone's progress! Hearing you all say things like "I can't believe I'm turning into a runner" is really motivating!

I start W2 today. Still excited and ready to tackle this - one day at a time!!

zephyr524
02-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey guys...

I am on W4D1 and I did all the runs up until the last 5 minutes. I could only run for three minutes. I walked the last 2 minutes fast.

should I go back to week 3 or continue on with week 4 and push it?

I'd continue with week 4. I found that to be the hardest week for me. To be honest, I barely(ok ok I didn't) completed it and refused to repeat it so I just moved on to week 5. If you can get through week 4 it's smooth sailing from there!!

ubergirl
02-16-2010, 01:33 AM
I'd continue with week 4. I found that to be the hardest week for me. To be honest, I barely(ok ok I didn't) completed it and refused to repeat it so I just moved on to week 5. If you can get through week 4 it's smooth sailing from there!!

I'm confused. I did W4day1 without any trouble, but W4day2, completely kicked my butt. I had to walk a minute in the middle of the second 5 minute run.

I alternate between treadmill and track. Tonight was track, but I think I did day one on the treadmill. Is treadmill easier, or was I just having a bad day?

Should I keep going?

zephyr524
02-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Just do what you feel like you should do or what your body will do. Just keep working on W4 until you can complete it. I thought week four was difficult because it was such short walking times. For me, there was only one run that I could complete like it called for and just moved on to the next week and I haven't really had trouble since then.
I've heard alot of people say that running on the treadmill is easier than outside running so it's possible that is where your difficulty is at. Just stick with it and you'll get through it!!

I planned on started W7 today but am really sore this morning. I did resistance work yesterday and am definately feeling it now! I'm not sure whether I should go ahead and give the run a shot or give my muscles some more time to rest. I really wanted to complete W7 this week but not I'm thinking I may not be able to do that...

Wild Vulpix
02-16-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm going to be staring C25K a week from today :D I'm both excited, and terrified! Hurray!

Though to be honest, it's not the C25K that I'm scared of.... it's using the school's gym :lol: It's so tiny and cramped and they hire students to sit in it and just supervise. I don't want to be supervised!!

Do you think they're going to make me tell them my weight? :(

ubergirl
02-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Just do what you feel like you should do or what your body will do. Just keep working on W4 until you can complete it. I thought week four was difficult because it was such short walking times. For me, there was only one run that I could complete like it called for and just moved on to the next week and I haven't really had trouble since then.
I've heard alot of people say that running on the treadmill is easier than outside running so it's possible that is where your difficulty is at. Just stick with it and you'll get through it!!.

Thanks! Yeah, when I did W4d1 I was able to recover during the walks, but yesterday, I wasn't completely recovered during the walks...so during the second five minute run I ran two walked one ran two. But I was EXHAUSTED. Whereas, the time before I'd been tired but okay.

I'm going to move on to W4D3 and see what happens.

ubergirl
02-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm going to be staring C25K a week from today :D I'm both excited, and terrified! Hurray!

Though to be honest, it's not the C25K that I'm scared of.... it's using the school's gym :lol: It's so tiny and cramped and they hire students to sit in it and just supervise. I don't want to be supervised!!

Do you think they're going to make me tell them my weight? :(

Why on earth would they ask your weight??? I wouldn't think so. And don't worry about the students. I swam at my local Y at my fattest, and I was embarrassed about the high school kid lifeguards until I realized that they never looked at me-- high school kids don't pay attention to anything! (except each other)

oodlesofnoodles
02-17-2010, 03:06 AM
Why on earth would they ask your weight??? I wouldn't think so. And don't worry about the students. I swam at my local Y at my fattest, and I was embarrassed about the high school kid lifeguards until I realized that they never looked at me-- high school kids don't pay attention to anything! (except each other)

They really don't. Good advice!

I think running on a treadmill is easier. I was unpleasantly surprised to find my boyfriend's dad asleep in the same room as the treadmill yesterday, so I had to do W3D1 outside. It was actually harder than the treadmill but it wasn't as terrifying as I made it out to be. I think I'm gonna switch to outside unless the weather is lame. But anyway, yeah, I think the treadmill is easier. I think it's cos it's like completely flat, and there's no outside elements interfering. I was jogging slower too, not sure why, maybe cos it wasn't completely flat. Felt like my shoes didn't grip the same or something.

Do you guys think it would be bad if I try to run a mile for funsies, just to see if I could do it?

DaisyNicole
02-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I start Week 7 tomorrow! (Today is my rest day).

Loving Me
02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm starting W3D1 tomorrow and I'm really scared lol. Have NO idea how I'm going to be able to jog 3mins straight, but I'm going to really try hard.
I used the Robert Ullrey podcast for the first time yesterday even though I was on the treadmill and had the intervals programmed in already, but I actually found it easier with Robert talking me through it and the music was good, so going to use the Week 3 podcast tomorrow in the hope that that helps me get through it.

Katy05
02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm feeling unusually sore this week. Blah! I did W2D1 on Monday, did some cardio/resistance training yesterday and have decided to take today off from the gym and just do some walking instead. I'm going to tackle W2D2 tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Primm
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Week one down. Question for you all, do you think it would be ok to do an "accelerated" version where I do the program every 2nd day, but don't take the extra day off every week? So one week I'd do 3 sessions, and the next week I'd do 4. Make sense? What do you reckon?

Thanks! And well done to all of you for doing so well, I can't wait until I'm where you all are.

oodlesofnoodles
02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
My god, today kicked my butt. I am extremely irritable right now because of it. I think it's because I did it in the middle of the afternoon (at 2 PM), and it's an unusually warm day. I completed all the runs, but I had to push myself more than I did on Monday.

ubergirl
02-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Heading off to the gym to try W4d3. Hope it doesn't kick my butt as much as W4d2!!!

zephyr524
02-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Just completed W7D1 tonight!! I had to stop a few times for a drink but started right back up where I left off at. I'm so looking forward to getting outside again to run. All this snow and cold weather is really getting old! Bring on spring!!!!!!

ubergirl
02-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Just completed W7D1 tonight!! I had to stop a few times for a drink but started right back up where I left off at. I'm so looking forward to getting outside again to run. All this snow and cold weather is really getting old! Bring on spring!!!!!!

Wow! Good for you!

I completed W4D3 tonight without having to stop. :carrot: I found it difficult-- I had to talk myself into keeping going on the last five.

Am totally intimidated by Week 5. Not sure if I repeated W4 it would get easier, or if I should just move on.

Loving Me
02-18-2010, 04:47 AM
I'm just about to go to the gym to try W3D1. I've had an awful night's sleep, kept waking up thinking about it. I haven't felt like this about anything else in my journey so far, but this jogging seems SO hard. Maybe it's because I want it so much and it's so removed from anything I've ever done.
If I can get through 3mins today then I will know that I'm improving because I thought there was no way I could do 90secs after 60secs. I think it's the fact that it's doubling what I'm used to today, rather than half as much again from Wk1 to Wk2.
Just wish there was a way to MAKE myself do it, get past this problem I seem to have in my head and my lungs that I can't do it.

ubergirl
02-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm just about to go to the gym to try W3D1. I've had an awful night's sleep, kept waking up thinking about it. I haven't felt like this about anything else in my journey so far, but this jogging seems SO hard. Maybe it's because I want it so much and it's so removed from anything I've ever done.
If I can get through 3mins today then I will know that I'm improving because I thought there was no way I could do 90secs after 60secs. I think it's the fact that it's doubling what I'm used to today, rather than half as much again from Wk1 to Wk2.
Just wish there was a way to MAKE myself do it, get past this problem I seem to have in my head and my lungs that I can't do it.

LOVING ME, you definitely, definitely can do it!!!

I did fine through week three, but found week 4 challenging-- I really did not start with good cardio fitness, so I feel like if I can do it, anyone can.

Here are two things that help me.

1. Run slow. If I'm worried about fatigue, I pick a super-slow pace, probably not much faster than a walk-- in running, we heave our entire weight off the ground with each step, so it's more exercise even if we're going really slow.

2. Focus on recovery during the walks. That means, if necessary, walk really slow, until you feel your HR or breathing starting to settle down. If I'm starting to get tired, 90secs is not enough recovery for me if I do a brisk walk, but if I do a slow walk it's enough.

If I'm not mistaken, this program was designed for any out of shape person, not specifically for obese and out-of-shape people. It's MUCH harder work for obese people, but it's still doable, I think. I'm not sure if I'll make it through week 5 or if I'll have to double week 4. Will keep you posted.

Loving Me
02-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and advice Ubergirl!
I'm so happy to report that I went to the gym and I completed W3D1 without any problems at all!!! I have slowed my jog down from when I first started and speeded up my walk and that seems to be helping. I still feel like a snail compared to everyone else running at the gym, but this is about me and challenging myself and running is something I SO want to be able to do consistently.
After I hit the 2min mark of the first 3mins I got this huge rush of endorphins and I can't remember feeling better in years. I suddenly realised that I really could do it and I know it's silly, but for that last minute I actually felt as light as air! The second 3mins was harder but I knew I'd done it once so I was determined to get through it.
I'm actually looking forward to W3D2 on Saturday now, and I really am beginning to think that I am going to become a runner!
I agree with you about the weight making it much more difficult. I keep telling myself that it will only get easier as more weight comes off, and I keep it in mind when I look at all the ladies running so much faster, they are all probably carrying about at least 50lbs less than me!
Good luck with Week 5, I'm positive you can do it!

ubergirl
02-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and advice Ubergirl!
I'm so happy to report that I went to the gym and I completed W3D1 without any problems at all!!!!

YAY!!!! That is so awesome!!!!!

I've had that exact same endorphin rush kick in! It's amazing!

And when you think about it, during the nine week program we're both getting more endurance and carrying less weight around-- so it kind of works out.

Luckily there's usually nobody on the track when I run or I'd feel self-concious about my snail's pace.

zephyr524
02-18-2010, 04:49 PM
ubergirl~ I've heard alot of people say that running is mostly mental. I've found that to be so true for me! When I realized that I could do it stopping just wasn't an option. Now of course, you are going to some bad days that you are really struggling to get through the run and then other good days where it flies by. You'll get there though. Give week 5 a shot and you may not find it to be as bad as you were expecting it to be!!

LovingMe~ Great job on doing W3D1!! Just remember at this point in the game isn't not about how fast your are going or how much mileage you cover it is just about finishing!! So what if you go really slow? (You aren't the only one that is btw) You are doing it and that is what matters!!

Missita
02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
The weather/work/my own lack of motivation have worked against me the last few days...I hadn't been to the gym in 5 days! Last time I was there I completed week 1, and I thought maaaaybe I should do another run from week 1 since I hadn't been exercising for like, a week. But I wanted to start week 2 so badly that I just decided I would do it, and if I was too tired then I'd go back and try week 1 again.

Just got back from the gym and I finished W2D1! And it was great! It actually felt waaay easier than week 1, and time flew by much faster for me! There were times when I actually didn't want to stop running when my iPod told me to! It seems strange to me, but I actually can't wait until my next run!

Wild Vulpix
02-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi girls!

Has your breathing gotten better while running? My biggest flaw hasn't been that my body gets tired, but that I run out of oxygen and it gets difficult to breath. I don't THINK I have asthma, just that my body isn't used to the running. I mean, the only other time I feel out of breath is when I have to climb four flights of stairs, and in those situations I'm able to catch my breath back rather quickly. Please tell me that it gets easier to breath as your body gets used to it :)

zephyr524
02-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi girls!

Has your breathing gotten better while running? My biggest flaw hasn't been that my body gets tired, but that I run out of oxygen and it gets difficult to breath. I don't THINK I have asthma, just that my body isn't used to the running. I mean, the only other time I feel out of breath is when I have to climb four flights of stairs, and in those situations I'm able to catch my breath back rather quickly. Please tell me that it gets easier to breath as your body gets used to it :)

Maybe try to slow your speed down a bit. I have noticed though for me that my breathing isn't as labored now as it was when I first started. Just stick with it and you'll find that the breathing gets easier as the weeks pass. :)

Katy05
02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Yay for everyone's progress - that's awesome!

I finished W2D2 today and I have to admit, it was the hardest day for me yet. My shins started hurting and it was actually more painful to walk than it was to run. Weird. Anyone ever have this issue?

Missita
02-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Yay for everyone's progress - that's awesome!

I finished W2D2 today and I have to admit, it was the hardest day for me yet. My shins started hurting and it was actually more painful to walk than it was to run. Weird. Anyone ever have this issue?

Actually yes, that's happens to me every so often, where the running's actually easier than walking because my shins hurt when I walk. Usually for me, that pain goes away after a bit of time, say 15 minutes or so.

encelia
02-19-2010, 04:24 AM
I tried w4d2 today and it was awful. For the first time since starting this, I couldn't finish the program and after 20 minutes I had to stop and walk. I walked for 10 minutes and ended my workout. :( Now I'm having asthma, which I haven't had a problem with since I started running inside on the treadmill.

I'm thinking I need to try again tomorrow and go slower. The sad thing is that I already run really slow, like 4 mph for the 3 minute runs and 3.5 mph for the longer ones. I try to walk at 3 mph but felt so bad at the end today that I had to slow it down to 2.5.

Oh well.... I just kinda feel like I let myself down today. :(

Loving Me
02-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi girls!

Yes, for me I can definitely say the breathing has got much easier.
I started off, before I even began C25K, doing 3 x 60sec jogs and by the time I had finished the 3rd 60sec jog I felt like I couldn't breath!
I have taken advice from lots of the girls here and slowed down my jog and that really helped, and I'm now on W3 of C25K and not feeling like I can't breath at the end of 3mins. So I would say slow down your jog a bit and just stick with it, it will get easier.

Loving Me
02-19-2010, 08:40 AM
I tried w4d2 today and it was awful. For the first time since starting this, I couldn't finish the program and after 20 minutes I had to stop and walk. I walked for 10 minutes and ended my workout. :( Now I'm having asthma, which I haven't had a problem with since I started running inside on the treadmill.

I'm thinking I need to try again tomorrow and go slower. The sad thing is that I already run really slow, like 4 mph for the 3 minute runs and 3.5 mph for the longer ones. I try to walk at 3 mph but felt so bad at the end today that I had to slow it down to 2.5.

Oh well.... I just kinda feel like I let myself down today. :(

You have definitely NOT let yourself down. You are doing something that is really tough for a lot of people, and as I think Ubergirl pointed out to me, it's even harder for obese people.
You have already come so far, don't beat yourself up over it, just keep trying, you will get there! :hug:

zephyr524
02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I really struggled through W7D2 today. I completed it but did have to walk for about a minute in the middle along with a few water breaks. I think my probably was being in the right place mentally for the run today. My breathing wasn't horrible and I felt like physically I could have done it.. I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow morning I think, as long as I can get outside to run. I'm dying to see how much easier/harder it is outside.

oodlesofnoodles
02-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Zephyr, what do you mean the right place mentally? How do you get into the right place mentally? I think I know what you're saying. Today I really just didn't want to do my run. I came home from class and just wanted to sit around. But I went outside anyway and did it. And while it was easier than Wednesday's (ran in the sun), it wasn't as easy as Monday, when I was pumped for the new increase in running time.

For the first time, I'm a little scared of next week.

zephyr524
02-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I just meant being mentally strong. I felt like I kept doubting myself today and because of that I wasn't able to complete as strong as I know that I can. I don't know if that makes any sense. What week are you moving onto next week? There were a few weeks that I was terrified of and I just look back amazed now that I did it! You can do it too!!

PrettyPearls
02-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I started C25K last month and I really like it but am having trouble getting past week 3! I'm hoping after repeating week 3 I can move on to week 4.

Loving Me
02-20-2010, 09:46 AM
I just finished W3D2 today and although I didn't get the rush I did on D1 I managed it with no real problems so I'm really pleased.
I don't know if everyone is the same, but I am always really nervous before each run, scared that I'm not going to be able to do it.

zephyr524
02-20-2010, 10:03 AM
So I just tried W7D3 outside and didn't do nearly as well as I do inside BUT while I run on the treadmill I've been holding onto the side bars and stopping for drink breaks instead of walking during them. Today I ran for 1/2 mile then needed to walk for a little and then ran for almost 3/4 of a mile before stopping for my cool down. After seeing how I did today I think I'm going to try to run outside as much as possible and try to improve on what I did today. I'm still totally pleased with how I did today because this is something I've never been able to do before and I did better than the last time I ran outside! After all this is about me and not keeping up with all the other runners out there.

MakingSkinny
02-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I just finished W3D2 today and although I didn't get the rush I did on D1 I managed it with no real problems so I'm really pleased.
I don't know if everyone is the same, but I am always really nervous before each run, scared that I'm not going to be able to do it.

I totally know how you feel! I'm trying to gear myself up to start week 3 today, but I'm really scared of the 3 minute run!

Loving Me
02-21-2010, 09:06 AM
I totally know how you feel! I'm trying to gear myself up to start week 3 today, but I'm really scared of the 3 minute run!

You can do it! I was really scared of doing 3mins, thought there was no way I could double 90secs but I actually found it fairly easy when it came down to it. Now I'm panicking about going from 3 to 5mins on Thursday :(

zephyr524
02-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Both of you girls can do it and you will!!!

kellost
02-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi guys...

Just wanted to join in the conversation. I completed week 1 of C25K this week in preparation for a 5K in May. So far, so good. I'm excited about being able to do this, since running has never been my thing. At all!

My neighbor is my inspiration and the one I'll be running with. She completed a 1/2 marathon last year and I think she'd like me to do one with her eventually, but one step at a time ......let's get through the 5K first!

I look forward to chatting with you all as I get through this program!:D