Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Starting With a Personal Trainer on Wednesday .....Has Anyone Else Gone This Route

Ok so i was doing so so good back in November lost good amount and was on a roll UNTIL my uncle passed away, Then came Thanksgiving, then between Thanksgiving and Christmas between my "other half" and myself we literally have 9 birthdays, then of course came Christmas.....FORGET IT....

I'm SO not ok so this year I resigned to hire a personal trainer.

My personal trainer is a great friend of mine who has lost over 200lbs her story is BEAUTIFUL....and amazing.

I am paying her just like any other client but I think (WINK WINK) that I may be getting married towards the end of 2010 and I sure don't want to be a FAT BRIDE
ugh I have ALL the know how and know exactly what works for me diet wise etc....I will calorie count but for me I need that personal accountability.

I figured I can spend $100 a week on a counselor for depression or $100 a week on something that will last long term for myself and bring me to a new lifestyle...

Wondering if anyone here has hired a trainer and what are your thoughts?????

THanks in advance

readytobeme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #2  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

Hi!

Yes, I started out training with a personal trainer - and I really don't think I could've survived the first times at a gym by myself without her I only took two hours to begin with, and then I plan on going back when I lose some of the great motivation I've got now.

Another benefit from a personal trainer is of course being able to push your own limits. This is hard to do on you own! Second, you get to know how to use the different machines and stuff if you're a complete gym-newbie like I was

For me the gym has been much more helpful then the psychologist I used to see for depression

Good luck, and congrats on the marriage!

Annie
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

Absolutely! My trainer is the husband of a friend of mine. He's taught me so much in this past month, I'm constantly amazed! Of how much I can lift, of how sore I can get, of how many muscles he's found that I didn't even know I had...I feel better, look better, fit into my clothes better....it's been amazing.
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #4  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

I've been working with a PT since September. He works me for half an hour, twice a week, and then after the session I'm expected to cardio for at least another half an hour (as in, he'll give me The Stare if I don't without a Very Good Reason). Each week I weigh in and he records my weight, body fat % and other numbers the machine spits out when I stand on it. He also helps out with my nutrition.

Don't be "resigned" to starting with a PT! Be proud of yourself. You're investing in yourself (yes, it's expensive) - but just like L'Oreal, you're worth it.

So jump in and enjoy it! It's great to be able to have someone to help you along and kick butt when necessary.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I've had good trainers and I've had bad trainers. Good trainers are very helpful in that they plot out a program to follow and then help you follow it.

Just keep in mind that what the trainer wants you to do may not be what YOU want to do. You have to be OK with that (within reason, of course). They have a course of workouts for so many weeks at a time, moving toward a goal. So, go with it.

And keep in mind that most of weight loss is about the food... OK?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #6  

WOW thanks for the input....I am excited and scared at the same time it's crazy...not sure where the fear is from but it's there....Not to mention, I have worked so hard on many of my "inside" issues (character issues etc) over the past few years, this is my final leap.....now it's time for my outside....every other time it was the other way around **tsk tsk tsk** that doesn't last....
Old 01-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think that's a great step.

But I think you have to (& do) realize that all the exercise in the world won't make *much* of a difference unless you consistently, consistently, CONSISTENTLY stick to a certain calorie allotment. There's only so many calories exercise can burn.

But many people find that when they consistently exercise, it helps them to consistently eat right. .

Then you've got the other side who thinks that by adding in exercise it gives them the *right* to consume more calories.

Sounds like you're more than ready to go the way of the first scenario. I look forward to hearing of your progress. I'm excited for you in fact. Yay!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #8  

Robin you are right, you've seen me here so many times IN and OUT over and over....but what you may not know, this chick is a very strong determined woman in all aspects of her life, NOT THIS....but like I said...this is my final battle...I DO NOT WANT TO TURN 40 STILL SAYING THE SAME DARN THING.....all the other motivators, getting married, looking good etc are all just circumstantial stuff....it will just be a fringe benefit of a lifestyle change, I am not loosing weight FOR THOSE PURPOSES does that make sense????? This is for me FOREVER...other wise what happens when those circumstances pass??? back to the big Ang??? OH NO way Lord help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobeme2010 View Post
WOW thanks for the input....I am excited and scared at the same time it's crazy...not sure where the fear is from but it's there....Not to mention, I have worked so hard on many of my "inside" issues (character issues etc) over the past few years, this is my final leap.....now it's time for my outside....every other time it was the other way around **tsk tsk tsk** that doesn't last....
That mix of excitement and fear was something I had too! In fact when I had my first meeting with my PT, after we'd talked about the details and the like, he looked at me and asked if I was ok. I said, "Well, I'm pretty nervous at the moment." "Why?" He said, "Not sure what to expect?"

Which was pretty much exactly the problem!

"Don't worry," he said, "everyone's nervous in the beginning!"

Get on and do it. I always feel good after working out!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #10  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

I've worked with good and bad trainers, just be clear about what you want.

I went to my first trainer wanting to do strength training. He just wanted me to focus on cardio and I'd have to spend the hour on the treadmill or walking or doing things that weren't my focus. And I didn't have the nerve to tell him that it wasn't what I was looking for.

And ended up wasting time and money...the whole incident put me off the gym a while because he was a "lose the weight, then strength train" person.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #11  

Default Thanks Guys

This is great...i'm so excited and yet so nervous. THIS HAS TO BE MY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have everything else pretty much in place so ...... I will definately keep you guys posted....WOOOOOOT
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #12  

Sooooo - it's Wednesday! How did it go?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #13  

Salsa...check out my post from today I am SO excited, does she work me hard??? YEP but this is a woman who has lost over 150lbs and has over come things we can't even imagine. She still has alot of weight to loose but you talk about inspiration OMG.......she's incredible truly incredible woman with her I KNOW I will stick to my guns. Just the fact I can't ever go to her with excuses helps ALOT......she motivational I'm 100% comfortable with her, she understands EVERYTHING I am faced with from weight insecurities to pain of working out to my eating habits etc...

The cool thing is she not only helps me on the physical realm she is a true inspiration on the mental issues that come along with it. She is about getting to the ROOT of issues NOT weight related...

YEP she's a gem
Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I'm scheduled to start with a PT next Wednesday. I'm getting impatient as it took me a month to get an appt.

I really want to do strength training, because I do cardio on my own, although I think I could use some guidance on cardio.

Should I go in with specific questions/goals?

ready to be me-- I'm jealous. your personal trainer sounds AMAZING.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #15  

ubergirl - I had a bit of a wait too, because my PT was on holiday and there was something of a communications fubar. But now I'm almost five months in and it's going well