Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 01-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #1  

Default 'an easy run'....unexpected mini-goal

So on Wednesday I had a pretty hard run and was really pushing myself after I did my strength training routine at the gym. So last night I hit it again to work out...I don't usually run two days in a row, so I said to myself, "I'll just make this an easy run," and not worry about pace, speed, etc.

And as I was trucking along on the treadmill doing my usual 3.1 mile workout, it dawned on me: there IS such a thing as "an easy run" for me now!!! In the past anything related to running could not conceivably be described as 'easy' for me. Running any distance for any length of time sort of felt like medieval torture - gasping for breath, beet-red face, phlegmy throat, sore body the day afterwards, etc. Granted, I'm still overweight, and I'm still relatively slow, but I feel like I am moving towards becoming an athelete as the phrase "an easy run" is no longer a contradiction in terms...I'm someone who averages ten miles a week running, which is a huge step from where I was last year, or even six months ago.

Not a bad way to start out the new year! Anyone else out there had this experience?
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #2  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgegirl View Post
Not a bad way to start out the new year! Anyone else out there had this experience?

Not yet, but after reading your post, I'm inspired to do better after I finish the Couch to 5K program. Congratulations on your success!

Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Awesome!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 205.0/188.6/130.0

Height: 5'8"

I had a similar experience this morning. I went to the gym and ran my usual 2 miles. However, I found myself having more endurance and stamina than usual. Usually I am able to run a 12:30 mile pretty easily so I was more than surprised this morning when I was able to pull from within and do a 9:40 mile followed by a second 8:40 mile. Talk about a confidence boost, I have felt great about it all day! Knowing and feeling and seeing this progress is making me look forward to my workout tomorrow and making me want to keep up this habit to see where it can take me. The small victory this morning has helped to convince me and make me believe that I have within me the ability to achieve my weight loss goals and maintain my goal weight.

livingoodinthe707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

Whoooo! excellent work. I hope to run someday soon, as well.... when my legs are stronger.
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #6  

Height: 5'10

Hmm .. I'm starting to get back on the wagon and use my elliptical. I would like to know when that whole 'phlegmy throat' thing will go away? lol It's very irritating.
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #7  

Thanks everybody!

Bassackwards - I think re the phlegmy throat thing it just takes time and gradually goes away. Super annoying, though, I know. I'd say just drink water and maybe reduce your intensity a bit. Way to get with getting on the elliptical - I did the ellliptical for quite a bit before I switched over to running, and now do it on my off-running days...great cardio that isn't hard on the joints.
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote