Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default New Year's Traditions.

Happy New Year to all!!

Last night we were with friends & neighbors at a party - and at midnight folks went outside to bang pots and pans. This is our friend's family tradition. (I think several cultures do this) It's suppose to keep away any evil spirits for the upcoming year. The kids were delighted!

In our family we eat saurkraut and pork (DH's German tradition) on New Years Day for good luck for the rest of the year.

Do you have any traditions?
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #2  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

Banging pots and pans sounds like good fun

When I used to live at home we always had turkey for dinner, and then we'd watch the fireworks. Now it's more about finding a party to get drunk at - except this year when I decided to sleep the night away in fear of ruining my diet

Annie

http://299lbs.wordpress.com/
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Happy New Year!

Normally I work New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, this is my first NY Day where all the stores are closed. It's also -42 out, so we'll be staying in, cleaning, laundry, cooking for the upcoming week. Maybe play on the wii, go for a swim, something low key

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

When I was little, my parents would order chinese food, and let us kids stay up til midnight and have a tiny glass of champagne out of a fancy glass LOL i STILL DO THAT!!! how funny??? hubby and I had some chinese food, watched a couple of movies, smooched a little at midnight with a tiny bottle of champers and then back to the movie lol tres exciting!

My new years DAY tradition is having people over for a big dinner - it's funny, but I notice how eveyone is ready for LIGHTER food by now, enough with the holidays, bring on the fruit tray and veggie trays, they go so fast this time of year!

happy new year all !!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #5  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl View Post
Happy New Year!

It's also -42 out, so we'll be staying in, cleaning, laundry, cooking for the upcoming week. Maybe play on the wii, go for a swim, something low key

-Aimee
Holy cow! -42 YIKES!

Traditions...that is a new one for me...I never thought about it before. Actually for the last 3 to 4 years we have gotten together with friends and my friend makes prime rib and then we play games. Hummmm The posts and pans outside sound like a fun idea...I wonder if someone would call the cops on us
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #6  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Where I live people are crazy about fireworks! And with none of the safety regulations either - we're talking kids lighting them (with their cigarettes) and then tossing them around the street.

In this part of the country people also like lighting street fires every 50m. It's almost like it's an exercise in finding all the stuff in your house that you don't want anymore and tossing it onto a communal bonfire!

The fireworks go on longer, though. They started on Monday or Tuesday and are still going strong today. Luckily I can sleep through the bangs ok
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #7  
hot. like a curry.

S/C/G: 308/248/150ish

Height: 5'4"

Back when I lived close to my parents we had lobster and champagne every NYE. Now that I'm in CA and devoid of Maine lobster, I've let that one go (my parents still do it though!).

We always, ALWAYS watch Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve. It's getting a little too sad for me to watch him though.

And every year at midnight I play A Long December by Counting Crows. I've done this for years -- I take a few minutes, usually tear-filled because I'm a big dork -- and say my own personal little introspective goodbye to the previous year.
gloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #8  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Well, of course we always watch the ball drop but other than that I don't think we have any traditions in particular. This year we went over to my sister in law's, had some appetizers and chili, and drank some sangria's and had champagne. Went waaaay over my calories, but it was fun. I think I would do without all of the food though. The alcohol was nice for a change, I usually never drink.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #9  
TimeIsNow

S/C/G: 243/243/145

Height: 5'5"

Default New Year's Kiss

My husband and I have been married nine years and we always have our arms around each other at midnight ready for the New Year's Kiss. It's not a easy chore though as he works the late shift and has to 'fly' home! He always just barely makes it lol, but he makes it.

As for food, at least a few bites of blackeyed peas.
TIMEISNOW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:48 AM   #10  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Movies!!!

New Year's is all about movie marathons. This past NYE was a tribute to Quentin Tarantino. Kill Bill 1 & 2, Inglourious Basterds, and Reservoir Dogs.

Last edited by diabetic z; 01-03-2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Spelling, duh.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

My brother and his family come over and we feast, and I do mean feast! We have filet mignon, fried shrimp, shrimp scampi and shrimp cocktail, all homemade! It's a fabulous tradition! And every year we try something new. Two years ago it was Calamari, last year it was craw-dads, this year it was Lobster tails.

Our kids combined are 12, 11, 10 and 9. We all stay up past midnight and they spend the night. It's absolutely my favorite holiday!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote