Exercise! - Running Through January!!

View Full Version : Running Through January!!

mkroyer
01-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Ha!! I win!! :):carrot::carrot:

Have at it, ladies! Hope you all had a great new years eve!!

zephyr524
01-01-2010, 04:25 PM
mind if I join you guys this month? Instead of focusing on a weightloss goal for the next two months I'm my goal is going to be to complete the C25k. I've already worked out today so my next work out will be week one of the program!!

mkroyer
01-01-2010, 07:01 PM
All,
this might be a long post, but i NEED feedback....

ive come to an understanding, a realization, an EPIPHANY, if you will. I have royally "F" ed up my metabolism due to extreme overtraining and underfeeding. I cannot eat more than 12-1400 cals a day without gaining, and thats WITH the training i do. I am incredibly unhappy, i am angry, i have horrendous mood swings, i am fatigued and unmotivated, i have ZERO sex drive, i cant focus or concentrate and i havent seen my period in over 6 months. Im so OVERTRAINED it is killing me (possibly literally?). Every hormone from leptin, to cortisol to adrenaline to estrogen is so outta whack, and have been that way for quite some time.

I found a "metabolic repair" program, that i am currently trying to research a little more. But i am giving VERY SERIOUS THOUGHT to scrapping qualifying for Boston at the moment, and starting this program immediately after i run phoenix in a couple weeks.
The program goes into detail for about 100 pages what is wrong with me, medically, scientific reasoning behind what is happend to my body. it the outlines a VERY DETAILED 8 + week program. The first two weeks are nothing but REST. Literally nothing that isnt daily activity, such as walking to my car. This will be hard. RIDICULOUSLY hard. i have not taken a break since i started working out over 3 years ago. The calories and carb ratios are slowly increased at stages throughout out this program, as i progress through the weeks. I wont be running. I will be eating. ANd it ends with a "refeeding" week, where i basically binge for a week, and overload my system and send my hormones into over production, so that i can begin to train again, and consume the right amount of calories. Many of the woman who went through this now "maintain" at 2000- to 2400 cals a day, and thats not even when they are training!! When they train the daily cals go higher! Its goign to be REALLY hard for me, psychologically, and physically. In the end, worse case scenario-- it doesnt work, i gain 5 pounds, BUT i get some DESPERATELY needed rest, and my body should be fully recovered and repaired and ready to train again.

After the REPAIR there is an in-depth fat burn program, once my metabolism is healthy agian, and ABLE to burn fat again.

I plan on 'cutting" healthy after that (at much healthier levels), and training to qualify for Boston during the summer, when the COLD wont be an issue too.

This decision has not been FULLY made, but...... i need to know what you all think.....

To be honest, the thought of continuing/jumping right back into training for Boston, on Monday after Phoenix, is scary to me. I dont want to hate running.

mkroyer
01-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Welcome Zephyr!! i think an exercise related goal, rather than weight loss is an excellent idea!! It might give you a needed break from worrying so much about the "scale!"

mkroyer
01-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Tomorrow i run 22 miles!! Wahoos!!

EveLHaelf
01-01-2010, 07:55 PM
MK, in my opinion when you aren't enjoying the training/running etc anymore you may be over trained. From what you were describing it does sound like your body/hormones may be out of whack and or overtrained. The program you have described sounds like it is certainly worth a shot. Another suggestion, is a book I've read "Master your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. It goes into great detail about all the different hormones and how certain foods affect them. It doesn't go into as much detail on how to fix it other than just buying 'whole foods' and going organic. But the info on hormones might be more valuable to you.

As far as Boston goes, It will always be there. If you are worried about the toll all the training is taking on your body then I say go through the program and then start training again. But in the end do what makes you happy. If you are dreading/fearing having to jump right back into training after Phoenix, then put Boston off for a little while. I don't want you to hate running either! I am by no means an expert on hormones or anything, but I say if you aren't enjoying the process anymore then it's time to give yourself a break and take a less demanding approach.

I hope my rambling opinion helps! I'm pulling for you, woman! :hug:

Just wanted to update everyone on how my New Years 5k went: 36:30!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot: That is a solid 3 minute and change improvement from Thanksgiving! I started tearing up when I saw the clock at the finish line. Thanks to everyone for being inspirational and keeping me in check! My right hip hurts like crazy though! argh!

Everyone have a good new years!

zephyr524
01-01-2010, 09:42 PM
mkroyer~Good luck on your 22 miles, I'm sure you'll do great!! I find it amazing that anybody can run that many miles all at once!! I agree with everything that Eve said. Definately sounds like your body needs a rest. I hope that you'll be able to get everything back to normal soon!

SGeranium
01-01-2010, 10:00 PM
MK: You have to do what's best for you. Your the only one who can decide what that is. You're right Boston will always be there. Your plan sound good, hard but good. I wish you a path to the happiness you deserve.....

julesp313
01-01-2010, 10:18 PM
MK - I think you're describing classic overtraining. Only you can know if the program you're suggesting is something that you feel will work for you - it certainly sounds very interesting and as you say, if it doesn't work, no harm done, and very possibly some good done simply by resting. If you are unhappy with running - and yet you obviously love it and are very good at it, based on your posts and your times - it could well be that a break is what you most need, both emotionally and physically. Eight weeks is nothing in the grander scheme of things and it would give you time to put your head back where you want it to be. As EveL said, Boston will always be there and if you qualify and then run Boston in a year when you're happier and healthier, you will enjoy it so much more. I suspect even if you opt not to do a formal program, some sort of rest period, then working back into training mode, sounds like it might be something worth trying. I speak from no experience - I am so far from overtrained, it's not even funny! - but just based on your post, that's my take on it.

EveL - isn't it great when you run a time that makes you smile? I have a goal to break 30 minutes for a 5k, but my best so far is 33:10 (and that made me nearly cry because it's the only time I've broken 35 minutes). Maybe this year will be my year for a sub-30 5k!

Zephyr - I did the C25K a couple of years ago and it's really good for beginning runners. I liked how it built upon the previous week and never pushed too hard - so many people starting out tend to increase the miles too quickly and the C25K really guides you in not doing that. Have you picked a 5k race for your goal? I found that was really motivating for me - I did one nine weeks after I started the program and felt like that was my reward for finishing the program.

As for me - yeah, running in December sucked. My own fault - I just stopped bothering through the holidays. Now I have to start over - well, not entirely, as I've been "off" for about two weeks, but for sure I'll need to do some walk/runs and cut the miles down a bit to get back into the swing of things. Which I MUST do. :)

Jilu
01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Hey gang, thought I'd jump in.

I'm going from not much training to hopefully hitting the Equinox marathon in Fairbanks, AK in September of 2011 (or if not, 2012).

I've just done my relocation from Interior Alaska back to the South (I work at a job a couple months on then a couple months off) so I was gung ho to start into training, but managed to come down with a bacterial bronchitis that has been a little annoying and sticking around.

So, waiting until I'm not hacking up my lungs just from walking up the stairs to get back to it. It's a little frustrating to have all the will in the world, but nothing to do but focus on getting better ;>

SGeranium
01-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Hope everyone who ran a resolution race today had as much fun as my dh and I did. 42 degrees my friends 42 degrees :carrot::carrot:..... It was a blast though. Run plus dip took us nearly 40 minutes with 1800 or so of our closest crazy friends.

Congrats Evel. Very nice improvement on your time, awesome start to thee year.

zephyr524
01-02-2010, 08:45 AM
I haven't picked a 5k..I'm not even sure how to find one around here. I know of a few races in October and November but nothing before that. I don't want to think to far ahead because I don't want to get discourage but the one in November is a 9k(I think) and I really want to do that. It's a really big race here on Thanksgiving day..

Marjolein
01-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Another thermo underwear run this morning.
Didn't go very well. *sigh* My calves and left hip very playing up and made it rather hard to run. I did finish my training though.
In a moment I'm going to ask my Bf very sweetly if he could massage my legs and hip. That would be heavenly!

What about the snow and ice? DO you go out, or do you stay in? I stayed in at first, but then realised I could be in for quite a while and went anyways. It's nor perfect, I know, but the air is quite nice, if somewhat cold.

Yesterday I registered for my first 5KM in March. Plenty of time to train for that. I can run for 25 minutes now!

Marjolein

EveLHaelf
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
zephyr, what I did to find local races in my area was google "5k races in Idaho" You can also check your local ymca's website for races as well. Also try active.com you can search for events in your area. I just noticed you are in PA! That's where me and my hubs are from! :D We got moved out to Idaho cuz he's in the Military and we are missin' it!

mkroyer
01-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Ladies,
thanks to all for your responses!
There is NO DOUBT that i am SEVERELY overtrained. That is not in question. I think i have officially decided to do this REPAIR program, with the rest and all, and to be honest, since i made the decision yesterday, it feels as if a HUGE weight has been lifted off my shoulders. :) The end is in sight for me (ie; after Phoenix in 2 weeks) and then i get to rest, and get back the person i used to be...the happy, instead of the uber fatigued, uber maniacal, uber BI**H. Its like ive been in a constant state of PMS for months. I am glad i am doing this. You are ALL right. Boston will be there for me in the spring, after some much needed, and DESERVED rest.

My 20 mile run was FANTASTIC. I love running with this guy, Brett, becuz he is slower than i am, so i am really able to just relax into my run, and go at his pace, and its extremely enjoyable. He is also running phoenix, and i have decided to step back to HIS starting corral (slower projected finishing time) and run it with him. I think it will be a very enjoyable, fun and positive experience, and then it will be stress free. ALso, the idea of helping someone ELSE to run THIER best marathon is very appealing to me. He wants to run a 4 hr 30 min marathon. Basically a 10 minute mile as his goal. I am going to pace him ( and i did a really good job of it today). We hit 20 miles at 3 hr 28 minutes. And then as soon as i cross the finish line at the marathon, my recovery will officially begin!!

julesp313
01-02-2010, 04:38 PM
MK - glad you've made a decision. Sometimes that's the hardest part! I think pacing a running partner in a race is a really smart idea and I'm sure he'll appreciate the support. I know running in a race is easier for me than running alone, simply because having others around me pushes me and distracts me. Keep us updated on how the repair program goes - I am very intrigued what goes into it! And what you get out of it, of course... :)

livingoodinthe707
01-02-2010, 07:46 PM
If you run 2 to 3 miles each day in 2010, you can run 1000 miles in a year!!! This is an exciting goal! I wonder how much of this goal can be achieved during January??? We'll see :)

zephyr524
01-02-2010, 10:33 PM
zephyr, what I did to find local races in my area was google "5k races in Idaho" You can also check your local ymca's website for races as well. Also try active.com you can search for events in your area. I just noticed you are in PA! That's where me and my hubs are from! :D We got moved out to Idaho cuz he's in the Military and we are missin' it!

awesome, thanks!! Did you look for 5k races after you were already running that distance or before hand to motivate you. I'm a bit nervous about getting overwhelmed..that and I'm not sure what it'd be like to run in the cold.

Where in Pa were you guys from? I'm southeast of the poconos. My hubby was in the navy actually and we lived in Va Beach up until a few years ago. We are really loving being back home.

LitChick
01-02-2010, 10:50 PM
OK, I am officially joining this thread!

I ran a 5K on New Year's Day and made it in 39:22, which is about a minute and a half less than my time at the 5K I did in November. And this one had A LOT more hills. I'm really pleased with that and happy that I started 2010 off in a healthy way. This is the first year in a long, long time that I haven't needed to make any weight or health-related new year's resolutions!

I'm currently training to run/walk a half marathon at the end of March and then will be training for the Atlanta Iron Girl triathlon in June, which includes a 5K run. The idea of completing 13.1 miles is more than a little daunting to me but a friend is doing it with me and I know if I train properly I will make it.

I would NEVER have considered myself a runner before I started. I remember the first time I tried to run outside, I felt like my teeth were going to fall out and my legs were all wobbly :lol: - it had been double-digit years since I last ran and even back then, I wasn't a runner. Now I love to do it and it feels natural.

Here's to a healthy new year!

hotstuff
01-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm in this, too! Instead of looking to lose weight this year, I'm focusing on running. So far, I have run three 5k's. This year, I will do two 5k's (one in February, one in May), one 10k in July, and a half-marathon in September. Lofty goals, I know, but I have to get serious at some point and I can't keep waiting for another excuse to pop up!

EveLHaelf
01-02-2010, 11:18 PM
MK, I'm so glad that you have made a decision and that you feel so good about it! Keep us updated!

Welcome to hotstuff and litchick! I too am training for a half marathon. Mine is in June. We can do this!

zephyr, we are from the south western area. About 2 hours from Pittsburgh. We miss the GREEN of PA because Idaho is so dreary and dry!

I've decided I'm going to make a doctor's appointment for my hip. My biggest fear is that he's going to tell me to stop running, and that just ain't happening! I'm really hoping that it can be resolved simply...like with certain shoes or maybe strengthening/stretching a certain muscle. I really wish I could run tomorrow, but my darn hip still hurts so I'm going to give it a second day of rest and do some other form of cardio.

Happy running everyone! Still waiting for my Garmin.....:dizzy:

EveLHaelf
01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
I forgot to answer zephyr's question in my last post!

The first race that inspired me to start running was the half marathon I am training for in june. After I signed up, I started making a detailed training plan that included the couch 2 5k plan. I then started looking for local 5ks that I could participate in. My first 5k ever was last Thanksgiving and I was only on week 5 of the program so I wasn't even at the full 3.1 miles yet. My goal was just to be able to run the entire thing, and if that meant going at a turtle's pace then so be it. The new year's 5k I did was on my last day of the c25k program and just running following the program, I was able to improve my time by 3.5 minutes!

So the program works very well! And once you run your first race, it gets very addicting!

I'm kinda not sure where to go from here training wise....Do I start off by running 3.1 miles a few more times and then up the mileage?

SGeranium
01-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Evel: I'm using an adapted "Hal Higdon's" Half Marathon training plan. Do a google search, it's free and easy to adapt. I use the cross train days to swim/ bike as an Olympic triathlon is still my main summer goal. There's plenty of time to adapt as you need. I also plan on stretching it out so I run an 11 and 12 mile long run before the half.

Lit Chick: I did my first sprint tri last September and I loved it . You will have a blast.

MK: It sounds like you are happy and confident in your choice. It sounds like you sounds definitely use the rest. Take care of yourself and have fun.. You are doing this in your free time after all it's supposed to be a little fun right....

Hope the New Year is treating everyone kindly. I am getting back on track and trying to assess holiday/ vacation damage. A little detox is in order I think....

mkroyer
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
eVEL- DITTO hal higdon. Look him up. the training plans are free. I believe he might assume at the start however, than you can already run a 10K....

loquaciousjogger
01-04-2010, 12:38 AM
I haven't run since I've been pretty sick lately. But, I plan on getting track as soon as I'm back at school. I'm planning for a half marathon in May... and that training plan actually looks great although I'll be stretching it out over a longer period of time.

2010, here I come!

blueridgegirl
01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi everybody - happy 'back to the routine' day...first Monday after the holiday break.

Did 4 miles on the treadmill Saturday - ran most of it, but walked about half a mile with crazy big intervals which seems like a good addition to my workout. Did the 30 DS yesterday and today's a rest day but am ready to kick it again tomorrow on the TM with a 3.5 mile run (the longest distance I will ever have run!) - yes, still doing the TM, it's something like 15 degrees here AND windy...so ready to be in onederland, and really committed to making it happen now that the holidays are over and I am so darn close! I have been losing inches and I know I'm building muscle, but still, I'd like to see a '1' on the scale as well if that's not asking for too much...

hotstuff and litchick - welcome! Great to have you here!

EveL - wow, I just noticed your ticker. You are seriously rocking the weight loss as you work on your running! Fingers are crossed that all goes well w/ your dr appt re your hip.

SGeranium - I, too, am in post-holiday detox mode trying to do lots of fiber, water, fruits and veggies, etc.

MK - I echo what everyone else has said. It sounds like rest is what you need. It's hard to remember to pace ourselves and not overtrain when we are really motivated, and I'm glad you're taking healthy steps. We're all here supporting you!

Alright, friends, let's rock 2010!

zephyr524
01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
So I made it through my first day of the C25K program. I was half tempted to start at week two because I felt like I could run for 90 seconds at a time but decided to stick with week one. I didn't feel like it was a huge struggle but I'm glad I didn't skip ahead.

For all of you that went through this program..This week says to walk brisk for 5 minutes and then alternate running/walking for 20 minutes. Did that 20 minutes include the warm up and cool down or just the running in the middle?

mkroyer
01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Loquaicious &Evel, and anyone thinking of doing a half-training program, but dragging it out,,,this is what i will say (as it was the advice given to me) DONT. Follow the plan as it was intended or designed. These programs have things like built-in step back weeks, strategically placed long runs, lowere mileage weeks after high mileage weeks, etc etc. You will get burned out, or overtrain. They are designed to get you half-marathon ready in 12 weeks, or 16 weeks, or whatever, not 24 weeks, or 30 weeks, else it would be written as 30 weeks.
My BEST advice is to simply get your weekly mileage and longest run mileage UP TO what you need to be able to do the first week of the program, and then start the program when it is time. THERE ARE "Base building" running programs out there, designed to get you up to running 25+ miles a week, or whatever your goal is.

mkroyer
01-04-2010, 11:14 AM
4.25 miles this am. Godawful cold. Slow.
OH, and i woke up and took my temp before i got out ouf bed....96.2 degrees. Almost clinically dead?? Practically. Something is very wrong........ i love you guys!! Keep running!

MBN
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi everyone - Happy New Year! It's quite chilly down here in Florida-land (44 this morning!), but nuthin' compared to the run I did back home in Indiana in 11 degree weather!!! I don't know how you guys do it. I was so glad to get out and stretch my legs, but I could never run in those temps all of the time! I guess that's why God invented treadmills. :D

My Montana sister and I have hatched plans to run a marathon together in Idaho next September. Yes, Idaho. It's a very small race, and a young one, but a race that she thoroughly enjoyed last year. I never thought I'd be enticed to run a full marathon again, but after several successful long runs (up to 20 miles) last month, I'm thinkin' I can hack it. It will mean full-on training in the heat of the summer, but you can't have everything. We're not aiming for a fast marathon, more like 5 hours, so there's no pressure. I can do that.

It's the peak of our running season now, and I have a 10K coming up (maybe 2) and Miami (I'm doing the half) at the end of the month. I will probably sprinkle in a 5K here and there, not sure yet. Mostly, I just need to run off all of that Christmas cake and pie ....

MK - My 2 cents is to go with your gut. If this plan feels right, then it is right. Certainly continuing to go on as you have been isn't getting you anywhere. And you may bounce back quicker than you think. I think it's important to look at the long term - you want to be running and healthy for many years. A few weeks of step-back may be just the ticket.

Welcome to all of the new folks! Fair warning: running and racing can be habit forming! :p

Fat Pants
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Hello ladies...glad to see so many new faces. Welcome, everyone! Sounds like everyone is off to a good start in 2010.

I had my first run in (gulp) two weeks this morning. Way too chilly and rusty legs after being off for so long and eating crap for two weeks. Still, I feel OK about it. Will try between 6-8 miles tomorrow. I have a 10-miler race in Feb that is keeping a fire under my (cold) arse. ;) Oh yah, and those half marathons....

Anyone with the new Garmins having as much fun with them as I am? :D

EveLHaelf
01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Gosh, it feels so GOOD to be back on track! I never thought I would be affected by the holidays and eat all that crap but I did! Lol, I haven't even looked at the scale in 3 weeks. I'm just going to stay away from it for all of January and see what it says Feb 1st. I"m in a delicate spot and don't want to get discouraged.

blue-I missed ya! I'm still rootin' for you, and saving you a seat in onederland!

mk- that is awesome advice! I'm going to be looking up some hal higdon and a base building program.

mbn- IDAHO! I'm in Idaho! lol which race are you thinking about running? maybe I will see you! ;)

Still waiting for my garmin....and too afraid to run cuz of my darn hip. I got my appointment scheduled for thursday. :crossed:

momof5k
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Hello! I don't think that I have posted yet this year ;) so I haven't updated about my Resolution Run.

It was COLD!! Like, windchill warnings, exposed skin may freeze in under 10 minute, -45 Celcius COLD... But I ran it anyway!

It took almost 40 minutes so more than 2 minutes longer than my first run but, the way I look at it, if I can run in that weather, I can run in anything LOL It was also very slippery in spots so that likely added a bit to my time.

A friend ran it with me and we committed to making it an annual tradition. It really is a fantastic way to start off the new year. New Years Day 2009 I weighed 270 pounds and there is no way I would have believed that I would ever run this race. I couldn't run 60 seconds! To begin this new year/decade with this run was very significant for me!

Anyone with the new Garmins having as much fun with them as I am? :D

I am using mine and enjoying it...but haven't really used any of the functions other that HR monitor and tracking my time/distance. :o Have you tried any of the other things are yours? Am I missing something stupendous?

julesp313
01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
OK, so it's day 4 of the new year and I still haven't run. No more excuses - tomorrow morning, I'm going out and running, even if I only do a mile. I can't sit on my butt on the sofa every day and expect to be able to do a 10k or a half marathon this year. Sheesh.

I've just added four races to my calendar as well - two 5k's in February (back to back weekends but I don't think that will be a problem as it's only 5k), another 5k in March, and a 10k at the end of May. Then I'll look for another 10k at the end of the summer - it's too hot here in the summer to run unless it's at 5am - and hopefully then I can get into the half marathon training to do the race in December. I figured putting races on my calendar will motivate me!

MBN
01-05-2010, 06:29 AM
mbn- IDAHO! I'm in Idaho! lol which race are you thinking about running? maybe I will see you! ;)
Eve - I'm looking at the Salmon River marathon in September. It's a small race, limited to 250 runners I believe. Last year was only the 2nd year of the race, but the town was so welcoming (it was a BIG deal for them), that my sister really enjoyed it. She's done a lot of races, and this was her favorite so far. It's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, a nice change of pace from South Florida! She lives in Montana on Flathead Lake, so I would fly into Kalispell and drive down with her and her running buddy.

EveLHaelf
01-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Mbn, that race sounds lovely! It's about 176 miles from where I am. You guys will have a blast! Good luck!

I'm going to try to squeeze a run in today between getting off work and going to my cardio class! There's a 2 hour gap where I gotta eat, but other than that I should be able to fit it in there. Let's hope!;)

Fat Pants
01-05-2010, 09:07 AM
momof5k - congrats on your resolution run! Sounds like it was a successful race! Did your Garmin come with the software? I'm a data nerd so it was really fun to upload my workouts, have it create a route from my run, and see all the graphs/feedback info/etc. But like I said, I have mounds of spreadsheets for tracking my weight, workouts, and so on just because I enjoy that sort of thing. :D

mkroyer
01-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Evel- "I'm going to try to squeeze a run in today between getting off work and going to my cardio class!"

Why? Im sorry.... i dont mean to be obstinate, and im the LAST person to offer advice abut this, but it was EXACTLY that kind of thinking/DOING that landed me where i am now. Seriously F'ed up. If youre going to do a one hour cardio class, why run before it? How bout instead of running for a spell and burning 300 extra cals, and putting unTOLD extra stress on your body, you just eat 300 cals less? or maybe stretch and relax?

Please dont take that the wrong way.... but it was overdoing it like that that took away my period... GRRRrrrrrr............. once again, i apologize

ennay
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
momof5K - I think i know someone who ran that same run! how many -45 degree 5K's could there have been. Unless you are the same person, in which case you would know because my user name is the same!

stargzr
01-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Alright, I'll hop in here. I lurked around here in late December, but felt like I probably should just wait until the next month to hop in. Here it is, the next month... so here I am.
A little bit about my running: I started running the beginning of November figuring it'd be my opted cardio and that I'd hate it, as I had at the beginning of the year when I hurt my back with it. Anywho, I LOVED it!!! So I am still running, working on my distance and my speed. I'm mainly TM, since where I live is SOOOO hilly. I figured I'll get to where I want to be on the TM and work it to outside. I do still do outdoor runs now, but I am most often on the TM. I will be signing up for a 5K taking place in April. It'll be my first race and I'm a person who is motivated by goals. So I want my first race time to be good. Not great, but good. I had originally thought I would eventually work up to a marathon, but I think I might go only as far as a half marathon - we'll see.
Pleased to start getting acquainted with all of you!

momof5k
01-05-2010, 02:10 PM
momof5K - I think i know someone who ran that same run! how many -45 degree 5K's could there have been. Unless you are the same person, in which case you would know because my user name is the same!

I don't think that I know you. :dizzy:

The run was in Winnipeg. There were more than 100 runners that day (I am really bad at judging crowds but that would be my guess). It was comforting to see we weren't the only crazy ones that morning! In fact, there were others even crazier! Some did a Polar Bare Run (in their undies!!) that morning! People that I was crazy for running in that weather but at least I had clothes on! Lots and lots of clothes!! ;)

EveLHaelf
01-05-2010, 06:57 PM
mk, Don't apologize! Not only do I appreciate your concern but, I respect your opinion very much because I look up to you and am in awe of all your hard work! :D If you wanna point out anything, you go right ahead. I know it does sound like a lot of exercise....I also did Chalean Extreme (weights) this morning before work...heh...I just feel better when I exercise a lot...I'm not sure how to explain it. That and I desperately needed to run because the last run I did was my 5k on the 1st and I was feeling like a bum. It's just darn cold outside and the only time I can run is either at 3 in the am or after work at 3 pm so I have a hard time fitting a run in. Especially on days like today where I get to the indoor track, run for about 15 minutes and then a whole SQUADRON of like 30 guys come in for squadron pt. and take up the whole darn place. So I had a very short run.

I'm rambling, I know....I guess I've just been freaking out lately because the scale hasn't been moving and I've been trying to get it to budge by upping my exercise and eating clean....maybe I am over doing it? I dunno....:shrug:

zipit
01-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Hello Everyone,

I ran the Twin Cities Marathon in 2007. I would like to run another marathon within the next year. I tore my ACL and had surgery a year ago. Finally got the okay to run again and I have worked my way up to 3 miles. I am so happy to be back running! I really missed it and I can't wait until winter is over and I can get back outside and off the treadmill.

SGeranium
01-06-2010, 01:26 AM
my new Garmin arrived last night and with a charge today it was in use tonight. My dh actually broke it in on his run, but he looked pretty cute when he asked. It might be the best present he ever got US. I ran a 3 miler because I was so excited to try it out, but I have a nagging super tight hamstring/ calf/ Achilles thing that makes going up an incline burn like fire. I could only run the flats and I had to walk the up's. Me thinks more stretching and swimming is in order.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and warm.

SGeranium
01-06-2010, 01:29 AM
momof5k Running in -45 is WAY crazier than jumping into a cold lake for 10 seconds. How do you even breathe?? 20 degrees had me gasping.

blueridgegirl
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Mom of 5k - I am in awe of running in that temperature. It's been in the 20s and windy here and I can hardly stand to be outside. Way to go!

Evel - I'd say don't worry about the scale moving more slowly, you've lost quite a bit in the last few months and your body might just be recalibrating, you know? Only you can know if you are pushing yourself too hard or doing the right amount, but it does sound like you've been working out a ton, so thank you for hearing our concerns.

stargzr - Glad you are here - it sounds like we have so much in common! I also live in a hilly (blue ridge mountains!) area so do mostly TM. And I am running my first 5k in April as well.

I had another victory last night (on the treadmill of course, because as noted above I am too much of a pansy to run outside): I ran 3.5 miles without stopping! Just a few weeks ago I ran 3.1 miles with no walk breaks, so I decided to try if I could go a bit further. I did the 3.5 miles in 40 minutes, 12 seconds, which seems like a reasonable time, comes out to something like 11:45 per mile. That's a pace that feels comfortable for me, like I can get into the 'zone' with it. I can definitely go faster but that is the pace I can maintain for more time.

I'm at 205.5 today, only half a pound up from where I was before all the holiday eating, which seems pretty good to me. Hoping to get below 205 this week to continue on my march to onederland.

A question for you all: for those of you who don't run everyday, what do you do to work out on off days? I've been doing work out videos on occasion (mostly 30 day shred) or taking the occasional dance class. My knees are definitely not at a place where I can run more than 3 times a week, but I do want to get my heart rate up at least 5 times a week. I don't have access to a pool every day, but could probably make it to lap swim once a week or so, so I am considering that. Or the elliptical. What do you all prefer? Other ideas?

mkroyer
01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Blue- i would like to see you starting to incorporate a real strength training program on your "off" days. Its SO OVERLOOKED by woman, but i think it will really halp you to LOVED the way your body looks as you approach or reach goal.
-- Ask FatPANTS how her persepctive/body has changed since she started doing real strength training

stargzr
01-06-2010, 11:29 AM
blue - thanks! I also run 3x a week right now... but am thinking of upping it to 4x. Every morning I do the elliptical for 20mins, but other than that my only exercise is running. I plan to start the 30day shred again when I get into the 160s, but not until then. My body builds muscle VERY quickly and I don't want the scale going up when I'm trying to go down.

mkroyer
01-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Just running (for over a year at this point, and 3 half marathons later) gave me THIS body

mkroyer
01-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Strength training and eating right gave me THIS body (in just a few months) i did however, only lose about 15 SCALE pounds, but when from a size 10-12 to a size 2 and 4

mkroyer
01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
food for thought!

MBN
01-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't run more than 4 days per week, myself, but I cross train every other day, as well as cross train on some of the days I DO run. For cross-training I mix it up with strength training, yoga, pilates, cardio kickboxing, boot camp, and such. I think strength training is VERY important not only to help re-shape your body, but to prevent injury. That, and stretching.

I do both running and cross-training at least 2 or 3 days a week - usually running in the early morning and then taking a group ex class later in the day. It would have been too much a couple of years ago, but I've built up to where it is just comfortable now. I don't think multiple workouts per day necessarily lead to burnout, it's all what your body can handle and what you are conditioned to. I think it's important to pay attention to how you feel - if you get too tired or sore, then it's time to back off. Today is a perfect example; although I usually run on Wednesdays, I didn't this morning because I'm fighting a cold and it was freezing outside. I felt a little extra sleep and a rest day would be better than pushing through it and doing the run.

Also -- I've definitely built muscle and still maintained or even lost weight. It is HARD to add muscle tissue (women don't have the right hormones), and if you are watching your diet and working out consistently, you can re-shape your body without adding pounds. It takes time, though. I regularly strength trained while in my weight loss phase and in the last two years with continued training (while maintaining), I've gone from a size 4 petite to a 0-2 petite. (I'm a shortie!)

Since MK attached a photo ... ;)
This is what losing weight, running AND strength training has done for me -- a photo taken in one of my Christmas party dresses last month.

mkroyer
01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
MBN-- thanks for backing me up on this one!! As far as the training more than once a day and burnout---- i dont think its so much the twice daily training, or the extra long training sessions, or the extra intense training sessions...its doing all that on a Massive calorie deficit for very long periods (think a year or more) without ever taking rests/recovery! If you train like this and have noticed fat loss has stopped altogether, and you have to work that hard and eat so little just to MAINTAIN your weight............

you look BEAUTIFUL, btw :) ANd it seems, from reading previous posts, that you have a very good handle on your calorie levels and needs...... im jealous!

MBN
01-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I totally agree, MK -- the fact that you could train that hard for so long is a testament to how strong you are. And the moral to the story is that rest days ARE important, as well as adequate fueling.

Fat Pants
01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Just wanted to jump in on the weight training discussion. I 100% recommend it. I am like MK ... running made me lose 65 lbs but I was still really flabby. I felt like for all the weight I lost, my body should look better, you know? About the only thing that looked good were my calves.

When I incorporated strength training (Chalean Extreme) not only did I shed inches like MAD, my running improved five fold. I remember thinking "gee I'm a runner, I probably have the strongest legs and won't benefit from lower body training" ha!! yeah right. I totally believe the fact that I began weight lifting 4 weeks before my 10k gave me the ability to run the entire distance when I had never run more than 5 miles and that included many walking breaks. ENDURANCE is a huge benefit from weight lifting. The fact that it positively affected my running is what sold me on it. That and it takes 5 lbs to lose 5 inches now, instead of 20 lbs LOL. I went from a size 10 to a size 8/6 but only lost about 7 lbs.

I mean the fact of the matter is, even though I weigh 149 lbs I have a high body fat % and that is still unhealthy. BUT when I started this journey, I would have given my left arm just to get to this point. Now that I'm here I realize I am still unhappy with being 149 but flabby. Enter weight lifting. :)

I got out of my weight training routine during December but I'm starting it back up again tonight. On my 6.2 mile run yesterday it seemed SO much harder and I totally believe it's because I haven't lifted weights in about a month.

I also plan on cross training on some of my shorter mileage days during my half marathon training. Sorry Hal Higdon, but 2 miles barely burns 200 calories for me anymore and I still have 19 lbs to lose!

mkroyer
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Bravo fat! Thank you!! and as a side note...i dont weigh a whole lot less than you either...im tippin' the scales at around 140 these days, but it is a SKINNY heavy...its all muscle baby! :)

julesp313
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, I finally got outside - did 3 miles, walk/run. I figured I should do the walk breaks as I haven't run in nearly three weeks and the quickest way to an injury is to jump right back into running 3 miles after being a sloth for three weeks! It was gorgeous weather - I know I'm going to get evil looks from those of you in pretty much any other part of the country, but it was warm enough to where I should have been in shorts and tee, instead of my UnderArmour Coldgear pants and a long-sleeve tech tee. I think it was probably in the mid 60's, but sunny and no breeze at all. It felt SO good to run again, even though I was doing about 11:30 minute miles and walking a lot (the path is 90% uphill on the way out so I was doing a lot more walking heading out!). Now, obviously, the key is to do it again, and again, etc.

I'm also with MK and MBN and FatPants on the weight training - I avoided doing it for my lower body for so long, figuring running was enough, but once I started doing whole body workouts, everything was easier. Not easy, don't get me wrong, but easier and I felt stronger, fitter, healthier - all the things I want to feel! All of which tells me I need to get back into that routine again, now the holidays and distractions are over. My first 5k of the year is February 20 and I'd love to be able to break 35 minutes, which for me is pretty quick (I am the definition of a John Bingham penguin!).

blueridgegirl
01-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Hello all,

Thanks for your input on my question - I am doing strength training, guess I forgot to mention that: a mix of free weights, machines and using my own body weight. Usual routine includes bench press, the plank pose, superman and other ab work, bicep curls, calf raises, tricep extensions, squats on the bosu (for balance), lat pull-downs, assisted pull-ups, shoulder press, that kind of thing. I have definitely noticed that I am losing more in terms of inches than in pounds since I've started it in earnest and I really enjoy it as well. I would like to kick it up a notch as there are days when I am a bit half-hearted about it.

So yesterday was an 'off' day and I did 2.1 miles on the elliptical to cross-train, but 'cheated' and slipped in a little running. It was a rough day at the office and somehow the run helps me to exoricse my demons at the end of the day, you know? So I decided to do one mile, full-out, as fast as I could. I ran it in 8 minutes, 56 seconds. I can't believe that I ran a sub-nine mile! Hello, I am still technically obese according to BMI. It doesn't even seem possible according to the laws of physics or something...I am really pleased with myself and still kind of in disbelief about it. Seeing myself progress with running in terms of upping distance and lowering times is so motivating. It's so encouraging - if I can run a sub-nine mile now, what about when I am down ten or twenty or thirty more pounds?

Thank you to all of you - especially Dancer and FP for getting me into this, and to all of you for encouraging me to keep going. Wow!

mkroyer
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Blue- when you are down 20 or more pounds, or to your ideal weight, you will be a SPEED DEMON!! THAT IS fantastic! You can seriously think of losing body fat as losing dead weight, or getting free speed!! Aftetr 20 more pounds that sub 9 will be EFFORTLESS, and then youll be able to do a sub 8 with effort, etc etc.... It was at this point that my weight really strated to mess with my head..i realized how much fast i became, the smaller i was...add to that my growing fitness and ability, and cnfidence.....it just all came together!!
Regarding Cross training-- since you are doing weights (congrats!) the 3 best forms of cross training for runners are: cycling, rowing and swimming. The reason: doing the elliptical and stairclimber (although different) STILL put pressure on the knees and joints from your bodyweight. you are STANDING. Gravity is pulling down, regardless of "impact". On off days you need to give those musles *some* rest. cycling is a GREAT leg workout, and a very useful crosstraining tool for runners, because you arent putting weight on your legs. rowing is just great cardiovascularly, with NO pressure on your body...same goes for swimming. Anything that *mimmicks* running, like ellipticals....well, you miht as well just run on your off days....

julesp313
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM
After my run/walk yesterday, my quads are sore - the good post-workout sore - but the rest of my legs are fine. I'm really pleased with that, seeing as I haven't run or weight trained in over three weeks. I have stayed active - lots of walking, riding my horse almost daily - and I'm sure that helped. However, once my routine is back in place (I've been on vacation for three weeks with family in town, but Monday is back to work!) I plan on really staying on track and moving towards achieving my goals in 2010.

BTW, I meant to say - MK and MBN, you guys are absolutely an advertisement for clean eating and weight training! Very inspirational.

EveLHaelf
01-07-2010, 09:28 PM
:( I finally went to the doctor today for my nagging hip pain while running. After examining me and what not, the doc says it's most likely something with the actual joint itself. I went and got x-rays and will hear back from the doc by monday if there is anything wrong with them. He also gave me some anti-inflammatory pills and told me not to run. :mad: I'm not just going to never ever run again! That's why I came to him in the first place so I could run pain free.....

He suggests non running exercises for a while and taking those pills. I'm really bummed right now and I dunno how I"m going to handle this....

ugh! :(:(:(

Ilene
01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
MBN -- you look amazing, i love your hair colour much better than my natural colour, I saw some pics on NY day, maybe it was just a bad hair day, but gosh I really hated them ... I enjoy so much not dyeing them though that I still may not go back to dying... I also saw, through those pics, that I really need to lose weight :rolleyes:

MK -- it really does sound like you're overtrained, you'll make the right decision and whatever works for YOU, cause you're just a smart girl :hug:

Hello :wave: to all the newbies... Running is trully addictive...

I weight train on days I run too, I sometimes even do legs depending on how the days fall, I try to avoid it but sometimes it's just unavoidable ...

Like today I ran in the afternoon it was a little cool -7c/19f because it was a bit windy and damp, I hate damp weather, 3.5 miles... After my run I was ravenous, scarfed down an apple and a banana and water.... I was still extremely hungry at supper an hour later and started eating wheat crackers while making supper :rolleyes: I hate doing that! But all in all the day was less than 1600 cals. I also went to the gym tonight :D ... It was a good day...

I may start training for a half marathon, I'll see, I need to do a half when it's really cool to cold, because unlike most of you I love cold weather running...

Ilene
01-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Fat Pants -- Just wanted to add that I am enjoying my Garmin 305!! Which program are you using to download your workouts?... I think my favourite one is the Map my run one... I haven't read good things about the CD that is included with the Garmin. I'm also trying Sport Track...

zephyr524
01-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I finished week one today of C25k. I was looking for races to do near the time I'll finish with the program and the only one in my area that I was able to find is a 10k on Feb 27. That will be week 8 or 9 for me so I'd be basically done with the program. Do you think that would be pushing it much to try to do that race? I'd love to find a race to do but don't want to overwhelm myself either..

Fat Pants
01-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Oh, Eve! I'm so sorry to hear about the hip. So frustrating. I know that "fear" that you will never be able to run again... I felt that way when my knee problems took me out for a few weeks earlier this fall. It is so difficult to do other things when all you really want to do is run!

But it is good to listen to the doctor's advice. I kept running with my ITB injury and it just made it worse and worse until I couldn't even get through the first mile without having to walk because of the pain. Taking the time off to rehab my knee properly was the best decision and while it was frustrating to not run, it really was good in the long run. A temporary break from running ensures a better chance of returning to running in the future. I know we runners are stubborn and just want to run through the pain, but for long-term success, taking a break to let the hip heal properly is probably the right idea. Took me awhile to learn that lesson. I hope you have good news from the dr. on Monday!!

Ilene - 19f, ugh you are braver than me! I'm complaining about a high of 28 today LOL. I have been using the CD software that comes with the Garmin but I've only barely messed with it - haven't uploaded this week's training yet - but so far it seems good. I'll have to give MMR a look one of these days!

SGeranium
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Eve: I'm sorry to hear your visit. Take care of yourself, fingers crossed this is just a minor bump.

I'm still working on my right leg tightness. The whole back is a mess. I'm spinning and walking the incline and I think I'm going to hit the pool. Fat do you use the foam roller for your hammies and calves? I'm getting a little desperate.

My Dh has played around a bit with garmin Software. yes, that would be MY Garmin software. Anywhoo we're still exploring , but have liked it so far. I need to contact garmin about buying a second chest strap though. wet strap= gross.

Fat Pants
01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Geranium, yes I've used the foam roller on my hammies and calves, especially my hammies when they are tight from lower leg strength training. IMO, the roller is the simplest yet most effective rehab tool out there. My hip flexor (top of hip where it connects to the pelvis) has been bothering me on some runs - not enough to quit but it'll hurt for the rest of the day after the run - and I've been using the foam roller on my quads from the top of my pelvis/hip joint all the way down to the top of my knee.

This article may help you identify the cause of the pain:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1383

Good luck with the pain. LOL about your hubby using the Garmin... I think I might get the foot pod so I can use it indoors.. I'm joining a gym this weekend with an indoor track and I'm the type of person that will not pay attention to how many laps I'm running so I need a pedometer to tell me my distance. ;)

blueridgegirl
01-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Eve - sorry to hear about your hip. I've never dealt with an injury (knock on wood) but I second what FP said. Best to deal with it now the way your dr recommends instead of doing anything that might make it worse. I can relate to the fear - just yesterday I talked to two people who blew out their knees by running overtraining, and I couldn't imagine being told to stop running. Are there other things you enjoy doing? Remember this is only temporary...and the more weight you lose the easier this will be on your body.

zephyr - congrats on finishing week 1 of c25k! My advice is to do some google searching to find 5ks in your area to see if there is one that catches your eye...I have been running for months now and now regularly am doing 5k with no walk breaks, but am not going to race until April. You don't have to decide now...see how your next few weeks go.

MK - I'm going to see if there is a rowing machine at the gym. Thanks for the tips.

Took a break yesterday but plan to run and lift today. Thank God for the gym...it's in the teens today with crazy blustery winds!

EveLHaelf
01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks, gals! I appreciate your replies. I will be listening to my doctor and taking few weeks off from running. I really hope this will be what my hip needs to get better! My biggest struggle will be just not exercising at all. I don't want to lose my hard earned stamina/endurance so I'm wondering what exercises I can do to help maintain instead of losing it all by wallowing in self pitty on the couch, lol. I'm going to keep doing Chalean Extreme, I just started the push phase yesterday and I'm loving it. I am thinking about getting me one of those foam rollers. Any time I do a hip flexor stretch, my 'injured' hip reallllly feels it. It feels...tight but if I try to extend the stretch a bit further it will start to hurt.

I think the most frustrating part for me is trusting the doctor. Trusting him to not just, tell me to quit running forever, but to actually help me find what the problem is so I can fix it and get back to running.

I'm taking a complete rest day today, but will be cleaning ma house. Maybe I'll put on some music and dance a bit too? :dizzy:

julesp313
01-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Eve - sorry to hear about your initial diagnosis, but as others have said, far better to get it taken care of now rather than push through the pain and possibly end up with a worse injury. I know you it can feel when you are told to stop doing something you enjoy and that you do well at. When I hurt my knee, my dr said I could still run but I had to ice every time, take Aleve, use the foam roller, stretch, etc. It was hard at first because it seemed like something that was so easy - put on shoes, run, done - now had a dozen steps! However, I find on the days that I do everything right - stretch, run, stretch, ice, Aleve, foam roller, stretch, stretch, and so on - I feel SO much better. And as my knee is a chronic condition, I'm now used to dealing with it in this manner. It doesn't help that I ride horses and that isn't good for your knees either. But I do all I can to maintain and minimize the pain, even though I wish I didn't have to!
Edited to add (after your post popped up above mine!) - can you swim? I would think a no-weight-bearing exercise like that would be beneficial. Maybe something to ask the doctor?

Zephyr - I would go for the February race. Make it your goal to finish the race, rather than run for time. I find on the races I aim to just run the whole thing, the time naturally comes with it. I am by no means a fast runner, but now that I know I can run a 5k, I'm working on getting my times down. I would say for the first couple of years running 5k's, I just aimed to finish the race and tried to run the whole thing - it's very motivating to have a race coming up!

Me - yeah, no running today. No reason other than I'm trying to get my house back together after having guests for a MONTH. I have to admit, as much as I've enjoyed having family here, I am ready to have my life back!

newyorkgal
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I recently just moved to a place where I found out the park a couple of blocks away has a track, but I just can't seem to bring myself. What time to do ladies usually run?

EveLHaelf
01-08-2010, 05:32 PM
julesp, thank you for your story. It feels better to hear from others who struggle as well. I am definitely going to look into a swimming program/routine I can do while i'm recovering. I need something structured like that because I never know what to do and just get bored in the pool all by mahself. lol.
this wil be me the next few weeks:
:swim::lifter::running::ebike:

Marjolein
01-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Yay! I finally enrolled in my first 5K! On the 28th of March I am going to run my first 5K on a Motor GP circuit!
But.....there's a 45 minute time limit! I don't know if I'm going to make that. I can run for 30 minutes now, but that's not 5K yet!
The snow and ice isn't helping either. It's really bad over here right now and I can't run. Instead I have been walking. It's better than nothing. I'll probably go swimming on Monday night. It's not running, but it's something.
I'm slightly worried that skipping sessions I might not make the 5K!

Marjolein

EveLHaelf
01-09-2010, 02:07 PM
marjolein, just to give you an idea: my running pace is very slow and when I did my very first 5k, I was only on about week 5 of c25k and I was able to do it in 40:11. So, I believe that you will have plenty of time to finish the program and you should have no problem finishing in the time limit! Just keep going and you will make it! ;)

blueridgegirl
01-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my good news that I am down a pound this week. At 204, for a total of 32 pounds gone. Inching towards onederland!

Also, a public service announcement re treamill running: it's best to have a 1% or so incline when on the TM, since unlike outdoor running, there is no wind factor and you are not moving through space. So running on a TM totally flat is actually like running a tiny bit downhill which is harder on the joints - so I have learned this week from some athelete friends, and a google search confirmed it. I did yesterday's 3.1 miles on the TM and had it between .5 an 1 incline - more challening than running flat, but I'm ready for the challenge and definitely want to be as kind as I can to my joints! Not sure if you are all aware of this already, but wanted to pass it along.

Marjolein - congrats on committing to a race!

EveL and Marjolein - I'm planning on a weekly pool workout to do something no impact and work my full body...so we have swimmer solidarity here!

Newyorkgal - welcome! Sorry don't have any input re your question...

Have a great weekend all!

julesp313
01-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Eve - at the local parks and rec center near me, they have a number of pool workout classes. Some are for seniors only but a lot are for anyone - they use kickboards and some sort of dumbbell things - presumably not weights but definitely resistance. That might be something that would keep you interested, because I know swimming laps can be a nightmare of boredom for me!

Marjolein - I run around 35 minutes for a 5k, but when I did one with my mother (her first, at 67!) we finished in 44 minutes. It was all rolling hills and we walked a lot, so I think 45 minutes is very reasonable for you, considering you can already run for 30 minutes straight. I'd go for it - you'd be surprised about how much you'll progress between now and then.

Blue - I read about the 1% incline in Runner's World a while ago, and I didn't think it would have much impact, but boy, does it! Now I always use an incline on the TM, and I definitely feel better for it - it means when I get back outside, I feel like I've progressed during the TM runs.

My knee is sore today, thanks to a rough horse riding session yesterday, so I'm resting it. But tomorrow, I will run before I ride - that seems to work a lot better, knee-wise! Just signed up for my first 5k of the year, February 20, so I know I need to stay on top of the runs, even if all I do is keep the distance and just finish the race - probably not going for a PR this time of year!

EveLHaelf
01-09-2010, 11:46 PM
:mad: GAH I AM SO FRUSTRATED!

I am practically crawling out of my skin wanting to run! I planned on going to the gym today to do the darned elliptical, but when I got there, they were closed! The pool is closed too. RAR! I really want to do my clx cardio workouts, but I'm worried they may be too high impact and would impede the 'healing' process of my hip. Fat, you have clx too what do you think? Should I just follow Donna in the dvd's and modify it so it's not has hard?

I am really having a hard time of this, and it's only day 2! Sorry for all the b**ching and complaining but I had to get it out.

Julesp, whenever the pool is actually open, I will check and see if they have any classes. Thanks for the idea!

Blue, congrats on budging the scale! You will get there! :carrot:

Fat Pants
01-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Hey Eve, from what I remember the cardio interval workout wasn't too high impact so I say go ahead and do it. Definitely do the modified moves if it's going to impact your hip too much. When you do get back into the gym, the stationary bike will be your best friend!

MBN
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Our unreasonable cold spell continues in South Florida... I ran a very cold AND rainy 10K on Saturday morning. Only about 55 insane, er, dedicated runners did the 10K and maybe another 50 did the 5K. It was very near a PR for me at 55:51, and it was good enough to get me a first in my age group! (and yes, there was more than one in my age group!!). It was 52 and raining when we started and 44 and still raining when we finished. Major brrrrr!

I intentionally pushed my long run off until Sunday afternoon, then bailed halfway through my planned 14 miler. It wasn't just the cold (46 degrees), it was the darned WIND! I admit it, I'm a wimp. Fortunately, the weather is due to warm up later in the week to something more like normal for us.

At least I didn't do Disney this year ... several of my friends ran the Goofy, which is running both the half on Saturday AND the full marathon on Sunday! The weather was truly miserable for them, and I'm sure I'll hear all about it during our next Sunday long run.

loquaciousjogger
01-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm happy to see everyone is doing so well! I sustained a strained ankle...very minor..but staying off it for a few days before I start running/training full-swing! :)

MBN: That Disney one sounds intense... I'm going to work towards a half and maybe in the future, i'll look into that one. :)

momof5k
01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
MBN: I sure hope that cold spell snaps soon. My family and I are headed to Orlando for a family vacation next month and I am looking forward to some warm weather running.

I think it would be SO fun to run a race through Disney World but that Goofy sounds CRAZY!!

blueridgegirl
01-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Just wanted to update you all on my first foray into the pool as cross-training: I rested on Sunday and then yesterday spent a good 40 minutes in the pool doing laps and water-running. Pretty simple - just got in the deep end where I couldn't touch and 'ran laps' in the pool. Nice because it is just as much upper body workout as lower body. I took my pulse a few times and while it was not as high as it gets when I run, it was definitely elevated the whole time. I really need to get a pair of goggles so I can do laps better. So for anyone looking at swimming as cross-training, I recommend it, and plan to do it once a week or so just to mix things up.

Still cold here (like it is everywhere it seems...) so headed to the gym for TM workout. My goal is to run 4 miles (longest distance I've ever run!) at a slow, easy pace between 12 and 12:30 minutes per mile.

MBN: congrats on first in your age group! Sounds like quite a race.

Eve - sorry to hear about your frustration. Hang in there - this too shall pass!

loquacious - hope your ankle heals soon!

jules - I don't ride much, but when I do it definitely causes soreness in knees and hips for me!

Fat Pants
01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Hello everyone! We have had some nice weather (ok, nice for HERE - 55 degrees today) lately so I've been able to get outside for my runs. I officially started half marathon training this week and it starts out with 4 miles for my long runs. Seems kind of easy, but I'm determined to stick with what the expert (Hal Higdon) says and follow the plan. I'm sure it will get difficult soon enough. I've also added back the weight lifting and a few classes during the week...spin, ultimate conditioning, yoga, etc. I'm looking forward to more variety on my cross-training days.

I'm finding the most difficult part about getting back into the swing of things is not the exercise, but the diet. I catch myself a lot eating when I'm not hungry. Argh!

EveLHaelf
01-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Hello chickies.

mbn- congrats on first in your age group! You pushed through even though the weather was so crappy, great job!

blue- your pool workout sounds good! I wish I could listen to my ipod in the pool without breaking it, lol.

fat- I'm excited for you starting your half marathon training! I would be starting along with you, but....darned hip. You are going to do awesome!

I REALLY hope that I can heal and get back to running in time to train for my half in June. I already dropped so much money into the darn thing (registration and training 'camp') that I will walk the whole thing if I have too! I'm wondering when I get back to running, how far back I will have to take my milege....I was at 3 miles or 36 mins without stopping to walk....maybe when I start back up I will just do 2 miles? Or should I do less....decisions decisions....What do you guys think?

I have an hour long cardio class today so I'm feeling good. I hate the elliptical...after running outside and on a track, it's just hard for me to stare at a wall for 30+ minutes...:(

momof5k
01-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I hope those of you nursing injuries can get back at it soon! I never thought I would ever be one of "those people" that wanted to run...nor did I ever anticipate understanding those that did but...

Here I am! Finally got a 3 mile run in today and it felt great (even if I was only on my treadmill). Woohoo! I hadn't run since my New Year's event and I was missing it.

I have decided to register for a half marathon relay in my community this May. 6.55 miles is further than I have ever run but I am really looking forward to it (I can hardly believe I am saying that!). I started Hal Higdon's 10 training schedule this week. It is an eight week program and my event is almost double that away but I know that I may end up repeating or missing some weeks while on our Florida vacation etc so this will give me tons of time to prepare.

At least it is something to plan for/prepare for/ stay motivated for. My biggest fear is that once I have made it to goal (just over 20 pounds to go!!) my motivation for running will go too. This way, I know I can't start slacking...no matter what my weight.

Not sure if that's crazy or not but, right now, it's working :lol:

jazzang
01-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Hi ladies!

I'd like to join your wonderful thread here. A little about me: I was an avid cross-country gal in high school, in top shape. My fastest mile split was 6:18. I got horrible shin splints at the end of XC season my senior year, and had to stop running altogether 2 weeks before league finals because I was on the verge of stress fractures. I came back and ran league finals through the pain... it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I stopped running and haven't really gotten back into it... until now.

I went away to college and started putting on weight like crazy. My once active body was being fed junk food and alcohol and not getting exercise. Fast forward to the present. I'm a recent college grad who wants her high school body back! I went from a svelte 125 pounds to a size 16 189 pounds. I've been working hard, and I'm down to 177, and I've discovered running again.

I've been doing consistent cardio for about 2 months now, and I'm ready to train for my first 5K in 5 years on February 20th. That gives me 6 weeks to train! I'm not concerned about a fast time or anything. I just want to feel the feeling... I'm sure you all know what I mean. I made a training schedule for myself:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs151.snc3/17863_826590084714_3317932_46964845_7494984_n.jpg

Any comments, advice, or encouragement will be very much appreciated!

I did my first round of intervals today. Oh baby.... burns so good... :carrot:

EveLHaelf
01-13-2010, 08:33 AM
momof5k- congrats on signing up for the relay! It sounds like a great idea! I totally understand what you mean by wanting something other than weightloss to look forward to and work for. That's what running is for me too. I can't wait to get back at it!

Welcome Jazz! Glad that you are back to running and here with us to tell us all about it!

I've been such a grump this week because I haven't been able to run OR work out with as much intensity as I'm used too. Yesterday at my aerobics class, my instructor found out about my doctor's orders and she took my step away! :o I had to finish the class flat on the ground with no incline and my heart rate was sooooo low. I'm really looking forward to spinning class today because I can do that as hard as I can without worrying about my stupid hip!

MBN
01-13-2010, 09:16 AM
At least it is something to plan for/prepare for/ stay motivated for. My biggest fear is that once I have made it to goal (just over 20 pounds to go!!) my motivation for running will go too. This way, I know I can't start slacking...no matter what my weight.
That's what I did too -- once I reached my weight goal, I just set other kinds of goals. That's why I keep signing up for races - they are loads of fun and keep me in training. If I training right (which includes eating right), then the weight maintenance follows naturally.

My friends are already signing up for next year's Goofy. My husband is encouraging me to go for it. I'm on the fence ... Oh the peer pressure ... ;)

mkroyer
01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Jazz Welcome...
if you are still trying to build up your base mileage, and are not worried about speed, why ar eyou doing 2speed sessions a week?? In all honesty, if your 5 K is in 6 weeks, and you are a "begginner" runner again, i would just build up distance and mileage....you dont want your shin splints bak, do you? :) Personally, i couldnt LIVE without my weekly speed sessions, then again, i already have a goOd base... just my two cents!!! at least cut it down to just one a week! (to be honest, doing speed work for 6 weeks, you wont see a noticable improvement because of them, in such a short amount of time).... Good luck, and welcome!

SGeranium
01-13-2010, 03:16 PM
MBN: congrats that's pretty cool.
Eve: have fun at spin, I love spin. I hope your injury heals soon.
Jazz: Welcome, and good luck with your plans, don't be to hard on yourself
momof5kids: I need events to keep me inline as well. They're fun so it's not all bad.
BRMG: The pool is great cross training especially for runners. And they do make all kind of cool music stuff to liven up your swim. some a lot of $ some not as much.
FP We are on the same post holiday page. Exercise not hard for me to get back to. I love i, I need it. Getting the food back in line is harder for me too. I'm not eating bad stuff, just when, and how are my problems.

After much more stretching and consistent yoga my leg problem seems to be on the way to much better. I'm still getting a falm roller though. My whole lower half is still so tight it might just snap any day. So last night I ran a very tough 4 in the rain in the dark. Why so awesome you ask. because 6 months ago any one of those things would have sent me indoors. three months ago any combo of those things would have sent me indoors. There's nothing wrong with the treadmill, I just enjoy outside running so much more. I put up with the tread. Here's to getting over your stuff. This loop will form now on be known as the beast. It is down a great big hill up another turn around repeat. Walking on the steepest part only or my heart would have exploded. There is maybe two block of flat in the whole four miles. No wonder my dh is getting stronger by the second.

SGeranium
01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
So the plan I was thinking about using for my half has me take a step back in mileage for the first several weeks. I feel a little uncomfortable with that. I worked hard to gradually build up my base. I know you are supposed to trust the plan, but do you always?

mkroyer
01-13-2010, 08:27 PM
im assuming the plan is a generic one off the internet?? it prob makes certain assumptions about where youa re starting, mileage and fitness wise.... its up to you if you want o modify in the beginning, or at any point, to fit your neeeds. on the other hand, stepping back a couple weeks is definitely not going to to take away your hard earned work!!

momof5k
01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
I am planning to use (well, so far so good one Week One this week :) ) Hal Higdon's 10K program is found here http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

What do you "pros" recommend? Does this look like a good place to start? I have only been running since the end of summer but I can comfortably run 3-3.5 miles (albiet slowly but...whatever ;) I'm not worried about times right now anyway)

This run is a little longer than a 10k but not by much so I think this should be okay.

Today is cross training day. Tomorrow only 2 miles! I never run only 2 miles anymore! Oh well. Sounds good to me.

MBN
01-14-2010, 06:38 AM
SGeranium and Momof5K - I use those online training plans as guidelines. As MK said, they are very helpful tools, but they are generic. You can modify them to suit your individual conditions.

In general, when I am training for a distance race, I simply keep my weekday runs the same while gradually extending the once-weekly "long run" up to race distance. If you already comfortably run 5 miles, there's no need to drop back to a long run of 3 miles, for example, you can just start the training schedule from wherever you are. If you have plenty of time before your race, just double up on some weeks (keep the long run the same), or extend by half mile increments. Or take "step back" weeks where you decrease your long run a little to give your legs a rest. You decide.

Once you are more advanced, that's when things like speed intervals and going longer than your planned race distance start to apply. As a beginner, the key is getting used to going those longer distances (no matter what the speed). My philosophy is to work on distance first, THEN speed. As a beginner, your speed tends to improve just by training consistently. Speed work can come later.

The caveats -- don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week, and pay attention to how you feel.

my 2 cents!!

Fat Pants
01-14-2010, 09:00 AM
My philosophy is to work on distance first, THEN speed. As a beginner, your speed tends to improve just by training consistently. Speed work can come later.

Couldn't second this anymore if I wanted to! I still consider myself a beginner and it's difficult for me to remember that as I experience these new (longer) distances, it's the mileage that counts, not the time. We all have an idea of what we want for our time, but I believe I read in Hal's recommendations that you should be jogging at a slow, comfortable speed. Enough so that you could have a conversation with someone. At the lower distances, I'm tempted to see how fast I can go, but that just puts me in a "must be faster" mindset for the rest of my runs.

I'm using the Novice HM program and the first few weeks are a step back, but honestly, I don't mind all that much, because I'm stretching the program out by 5 weeks to hit my half marathon date, and because I'm starting up some new classes at the gym/getting back into weight lifting so it's easier to focus on those things if I'm not getting nervous about the distances!

blueridgegirl
01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
welcome Jazz!

So I ran 4 miles on the treadmill Tues - first time I've ever run that far. It came out to about 12 minutes a mile. I'm working on building my base and getting up to 5-6 miles of consistent running (as per your comment above, FP). That way I figured a 5k won't feel like too far. Weather has been warmer, so yesterday took a long afternoon walk before going to the gym for strength routine. I'm hoping to run outside Saturday if the milder temperatures persist. Walking is good cross training for my off-running days, and I have read that it burns almost the same calories as running. Hard to believe because I am not getting my heart rate up near as high, but that's what I've read in my running books. Anyway, can't get outside during the day today so planning a 3.5 TM run in the evening.

Keep up the great work, everybody!

randomcards
01-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Hey everybody...

Sorry if I'm inappropriately jumping into your thread, but have been wanting to get more into running and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about a decent entry running shoe that is <$175. I'm still overweight and my current sneakers just don't seem to mitigate any impact.

There's almost too much information/choices to be had there so thought I might pop in here and see if anybody had any strong opinions!

mkroyer
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Random-- the only thing you can do is go to a REAL running store in your area (road runner sports or some similar place) and have them fit you for YOUR perfect shoe!! You will absolutely be able to find a GREAT shoe for approx 100 dollars, give or take..... all of our feet are so different, and everyone needs are so different, no one can reccomend what will work best with your personal feet!! Ie; there are shoes for people with high arches, flat arches, over pronation, underpronation, neutral, racing, stability, extra cushioning, high mileage.....and every brand has their own version of each! When you go to the running shoe store, they will have you walk/run barefoot on a treadmill (just for about 30 seconds) and analyze your gait. they might also have you step on a pad that check how high your arches are, then they start throwing shoes at you to try on! I personally favor Mizunos....only because the shape and design compliments my foot structure so well.... Others here use Nike or Asics or Saucony. All great shoes, for THEM....for me? They (Asics) exacerbated my running deficiencies and caused big problems.... go get fitted.. you wont regret it!

mkroyer
01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
leave for phoenix on sat!!
Ive toned down my training, ALOT the past week and a half....only run at most 20 miles in 2 weeks!! Ive also INCREASED my calories AND MY carbs ( a little--baby steps) and how does the scale reward me??
down SEVEN POUNDS in 2 weeks!! i am at almost an all time low....all from training less, and eating more......something to be said for moderation, i guess ;)

momof5k
01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
mkroyer: Sounds like that is just what your body needed :) Good luck in Phoenix!!

MBN
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Walking is good cross training for my off-running days, and I have read that it burns almost the same calories as running. Hard to believe because I am not getting my heart rate up near as high, but that's what I've read in my running books.
Does walking burn the same calories as running? Well, sort of.

Running involves being airborne for part of your stride, while in walking one foot is always on the ground. Since you are fighting gravity when running, sort of like repeated jumping, running does actually require more energy. But there are MANY variables, including how efficient a runner you are (and the more experienced a runner - the more efficient your stride). And that doesn't factor in specialized techniques like race-walking, which at certain speeds has a higher calorie burn rate than jogging! But the differences in calorie burn are pretty subtle, especially when we're talking about 3 or 4 miles distance.

So .... for all practical purposes, walking or running the same DISTANCE will burn pretty much the same number of calories, although running will net you just a little more. Of course for the same TIME period, running will burn more calories than walking because you cover more ground!

I actually wrote an ehow article on the subject:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5395152_exercise-walking-vs-running.html

loquaciousjogger
01-14-2010, 05:10 PM
mkroyer: I'm happy to see you're going to arizona for it! Good luck and congrats on your weight loss! :)

I'm just starting today back on my running regiment (although I'm trying to slowly work up my mileage [although my speed is stable!]). A really tramautic thing happened and despite reaching for 4 oreos, I went to the gym and did a sub-8 mile while sobbing. I'm not sure running will help me through this because I connect running to what happened... but, I hope it can help.

EveLHaelf
01-14-2010, 10:44 PM
MK- good luck! I'm glad that all is well with your decreased training. down 7 pounds is great!

My doctor was a bit late with my x ray results (he said he would call Monday.) I got the call this evening. Basically from what he explained, I have an extra bone that's about 2 centimeters big in my right hip. He didn't sound too worried about it, but he is referring me to an orthopedic surgeon for continued treatment. When I heard the 'surgeon' part, I got instantly nervous but he explained that I won't necessarily need surgery. They can do other forms of treatment and we can see what works, I guess. :o I really have no idea what to expect but I feel a tiny bit of relief that we have found the cause. I'm feeling more hopeful about my situation than I have in days. And if it turns out I do need surgery to fix it, I just hope I don't miss my half marathon! But if I can get back to running pain free it will all be worth it. Running has done so much for me in just the short few months I've been doing it. I've missed it greatly!

All of you are doing so well with your running and I can't wait to join you all again! :hug:

jazzang
01-17-2010, 01:09 AM
MK - thank you very much for your advice! I'm going to take it. I didn't even think about it as being a "beginner" runner again. Building up mileage seems like it should be a priority. I didn't really think about it as doing 2 speed workouts a week.... because I'm just not that fast yet! A 30 min tempo for me is still quite slow, but it is good because I push myself a little harder to run a full 30 minutes without stopping to walk or drink water. 30 mins no stopping!! I didn't know if I could do it, but I did, on Tues, and it felt great.

I made the workout schedule with those workouts built in just because that's the schedule we used in cross-country training. But don't worry, I'm not pushing myself speed-wise too hard. I know that speed will come naturally as I get back into it, and for now I need to just focus on completing my mileage.

MK ps - good luck in AZ!!!!! and congrats on 7 pounds down!! Sounds like your metabolism is repairing itself already, and feeding yourself more carbs for energy is just what your bod needed!

Random - my fave shoes are asics. They are just the most comfy for me, and I usually buy their $74 ish model. But you really have to get fitted to see what will fit YOUR feet best. If you are worried about your extra weight, I'd recommend a shoe with a lot of cushion as opposed to something really lightweight. Your feet will like you better :) And you shouldn't have to spend to much over 90 or 100 to get a really decent shoe.

Question for everybody - How fast did you run when you first started running? Not race pace or anything, just relaxed running pace for say a 4 mile workout? 10 min/mile? 12? Just curious :D

mkroyer
01-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Jazz-- i ran a comfy 10 minute mile when i first stsrted, and was able to get it down around 9- 9 30 within the first few months..

mkroyer
01-18-2010, 09:49 AM
All,
i have now experienced how truly horrifying a marathon can be when it all goes horribly wrong!! 26 miles is a LONG WAY when its just not your day! :) Oh, and im so sore im up 5 pounds ;)

EveLHaelf
01-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Congrats on the Marathon MK! Even if it wasn't your day I'm proud of you for doing your best! Are you starting that recovery plan next?

loquaciousjogger
01-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Mkroyer: Congrats on the marathon!!! I hope you had great timing!

Myself, I'm going to get back into running this week.

Fat Pants
01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Congrats on your second marathon, MK! Sorry to hear about the less than ideal race, but at least you got to run in some nice weather, eh? :)

SGeranium
01-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Congrats on the finish MK, you are stronger for it. Sorry it wasn't as smooth as the first.

I still just pluggin along trying to figure out all the fun thing my forerunner can do. I'm still battling that pulled back of my leg top to bottom. It's great if I'm in yoga everyday, which would be great if I had unlimited time to do whatever I wanted. My MIL told me I just needed to retire like her. She's training for Boston and nursing her injuries through daily yoga, chiropractic message, cross training, steam-room etc, etc. The only way you get to spend that much time on yourself is to retire apparently....

Fat Pants
01-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Geranium, wouldn't that be nice? I took a week off around Thanksgiving and spent sooo much more time in the gym, running, really taking care of myself... it was so nice to have that much time to dedicate to training! Unfortunately it's about, oh, 40 years until I retire so I probably shouldn't get used to it. :p

Had a fabulous 4 mile run yesterday. My best mile time was 9:49!!! I've never hit a sub-10mm before! :carrot: Going to attempt spin class for the first time today... hope it's not too much torture!

MBN
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Ran a small-ish 10K on Saturday in blessedly WARM weather. Got a PR (55:26) and first in my age group! Getting older isn't ALL bad ... I hit a new age group in September and have been doing pretty fine in it so far. (You don't have to get faster, just outlast everyone else your age ...) :D

MK - sorry you had a struggle! Some days are just like that. It all depends on the day ....

SGeranium
01-19-2010, 10:58 PM
FP Hope spin was awesome. I love it, I think it's a great compliment to running.

MBN Congrats that's amazing. Good for you.:carrot::carrot::carrot:

blueridgegirl
01-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi all -

Sorry I've been MIA, work has been crazy-busy and then our internet server was down the better part of two days last week which made getting online impossible. Since I've last posted I've had two outdoor runs (I've mostly been TM, but we actually had some warmer weather) and I am a little discouraged that I cannot go as far or as fast outdoors. Something about hills (I'm in the foothills of the blue ridge...) and wind. I did an out and back Saturday and I swear when I turned around the wind changed so it was still in my face on my way back! And on the TM I have instant feedback on distance, speed, etc which I don't when I'm outside...maybe to celebrate onederland I'll get myself a garmin to better track outdoor runs.

Also, I made the discovery the hard way that it's not good to run on a full stomach. I had pizza on Thursday night and then slogged out 3.25 miles on the treadmill about an hour later and felt like I had a brick in my stomach! I'd read it in all the running books, but I guess I had to learn it for myself...

Settling into my routine of 3 days running, 2 days lifting, 1 day cross train and 1 day rest per week. It's demanding and requiring juggling in my schedule, but I think it's the best plan for me now. Monday I took two classes back to back: one aerobic dance and one yoga which was nice for a cross-training day. I am so close to onederland and want to keep pushing myself!

MK - congrats on your marathon! Even if you didn't feel great about it, you still ran 26.2 miles which is a huge accomplishment!

FP - new photo looks great!

Eve - how are you feeling?

LJ - how is your return to running going?

mkroyer
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
All,
Thanks for the encouragement about the marathon!
Heres the re-cap on everything tat went so, so wrong...

you know how every runner tells you "dont do ANYTHING different the day before/day of a race, etc etc" I believe i have spouted those words too.... well, i went to the expo, and was "stuck" there for a coulpe hours (waiting for friends to arrive) and i end up GORGING, literally gorging myself on free sample cliff bars, luna bars, power bars, all that crap. I literally probably ate a total of like 20 FULL cliff bars. They were so darned good, and i have no willpower.. overly processed sugary fattening deliciousness. To make the story more interesting id been constipated for 4 days prior. can you tell whwere this is going?
I had the WORSE diarreah i have EVER HAD in my entire life for the ENTIRE 26.2 miles. I almost dropped out, twice. I remember thinking while i was sitting on a porta potty for the past 8 minutes, for the 10th or 12th time, that i was going to die there, and no one would ever find me. :) Remember how i was going to run with my friend and pace him to a 4:30 marathon? Well, by mile 10 we had already stopped twice. Then it REALLY hit. I literally c ould not make it to the next porta potty (and they ewre almost every mile, which was great) and i had to go behind a wall. it was awful. I told my friend to go on without me, that i would catch up. Well, i finished my business, ran a half mile, and it hit again. And then again. and then again. At this point i had lost maybe 20 minutes, and i had nothing physically let in me. Id been running 8 minute miles in between bouts, trying to catch up to my friend (which i had NOT trained or practiced to do...... i had trained to run this at 10 minute miles). So id run at my Boston Qualifying pace for a mile or two, hauling a** pass everyone, and then it would hit. And then repeat. The worst part was since i was planning on running it with my friend, i didnt have my IPOD...so no music the whole marathon. He also had pockets so he was carrying all but one of my running goo gels for me. So no energy. i did finally catch up with im around mile 25. I was in SO MUCH pain at this point. BUT at least i know now that i am FULLY CAPABLE of running a marathon at Boston pace, if i train for it. I was able to run the entire seond half of the marathon at that pace, and let me tell you, it HURT. it HURT every part of my body. My BUTT. my BACK, my FEET, my QUADs, even my BICEPS. Those things are STILL sore. it SUCKED SUCKED SUCKED. We crossed the finish line together in 4 hr 34 minutes. Im pretty upset. I promised him a sub 4 30. Its also over 30 minutes slower thn i ran denver. But what can you do?

SO...today.....3 days later.... i am UP 8 pounds (at 143, from 136 before the marathon)
My body is experiencing a "perfect storm" of bloating, so to speak. I am bloated from the inflammation/soreness from the marathon. I am bloated because my electrolytes were so outta whack from the diarreah. I am bloated because i binge ate/carbo loaded all weekend, and did you now that for every gram of glycogen stored in your muscles, 3 grams of water are stored with it? I am bloated because even though i dont get a period anymore, i still "cycle" and get bloated around the 18 thru 20th of every month. Oh, and im constipated again, so im bloated from that. OH, and im not exercising, so i ahve no way to sweat it out...i am very uncomfortable and its taking every ounce of my being not to go for a run. My pants didnt even fit this am. i am literally wearing my fat jeans.....

MileHighMama
01-21-2010, 02:44 PM
MK: So sorry to hear about your marathon. You must have been miserable, and so depleted and weak from all of the water and nutrient loss. What happened to you is one of my worst fears when running a race and why I usually run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I don't want to eat because that usually brings my digestive system out of dormancy, if you know what i mean. I usually hang out in the maintainers and strength training forum but have been lurking in the runners thread for a while now. I started running late spring and am LOVING it more than words can say. I never thought I would like running but I started slow and now run every other day for 3-5 miles at a time. I am 48 and had some hip and knee and ankle pain but that all seems to have settled down so maybe I will increase my mileage and start working on speed. I am doing the winter distance series at Chatfield (I am from Littleton, CO) and had a blast both in December and last weekend (I ran the 5M in just under 50). So, this post is mainly to offer sympathy and empathy (I could easily eat 20 bars of any kind in one sitting) and to say hi to you and to everyone else in this thread and to FatPants, who I also noticed is from Colorado. I've learned a lot from this forum and can't wait to start posting more often!

Pam

EveLHaelf
01-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Blue- I'm still here! Missing running like crazy and waiting for my referral to go through so I can make some darned progress on my hip situation!

I'm so angry with this whole situation. I want to get the **** back to training because I feel like such a slob. I've still been exercising, just at a lower intensity and I'm going crazy.

Mk- What a crazy story! I've always been terrified of something like that happening. It sounds like you handled it very well.

Thighs Be Gone
01-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Hey there Ladies. I have a question. I don't post here often but am a runner. I have some pain just below my big toe (on the ball of the foot, not on the toe) that has been a killer when I am running. Any remedy for it any of you can suggest?

Also, I have bleeding on my left foot--where two toes are rubbing. Any help with it would be appreciated.

mkroyer
01-22-2010, 11:36 AM
as far as bleeding--- trim your toe nails. its probably one toenail has an edge that is rubbing against the other toe..had it happen a million times to me

RE pain underball of foot/big toe--- could be a form of sesamoiditis-- a catch- all diagnosis for anything wrong with the sesamoid bones under your big toe. They can be inflammed, they can have stress fractures... Metatarsal pads help with that. They go on the ball of your foot and redistribute weight

blueridgegirl
01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Can't post much - super busy at work, but wanted to share that my long slow run yesterday was 4.5 miles! Woohoo - that's the longest I ever have run. Sleety/icy so ran on the treadmill - took it at between 11:30 and 12 minute mile. Happy weekend to all - will post more later.

Fat Pants
01-22-2010, 04:47 PM
MK, sorry to hear about the bad marathon experience. Guess you will be staying away from clif bars for the time being, huh?? ;) In all seriousness I'm glad that you didn't suffer from much other than diarrhea, especially with the potential for dehydration and all that.

Pam/MileHighMama - glad to see yet another Coloradan here! I was considering running the 10M winter distance race in February but I think that's a bit too far for me right now. Started half marathon training in hopes of doing the Ft Collins Half in May. We'll see! Welcome!

well all, in my quest to cross train I have found some great classes at the gym. Spin was interesting but honestly not that much of a workout for me?? I'll stick with it to see if it gets better (I took a beginner's class). I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY to have found a great strength training class on Wednesdays that I'm sure will help my running tremendously. For right now though, I am nursing some seriously sore muscles from the insane amount of lunges/squats we did in the class. I really gotta get back into running more than twice a week - life's just been really busy lately. Supposed to do 5M on Monday according to the training plan and looking forward to it!

Thighs Be Gone
01-22-2010, 07:20 PM
as far as bleeding--- trim your toe nails. its probably one toenail has an edge that is rubbing against the other toe..had it happen a million times to me

RE pain underball of foot/big toe--- could be a form of sesamoiditis-- a catch- all diagnosis for anything wrong with the sesamoid bones under your big toe. They can be inflammed, they can have stress fractures... Metatarsal pads help with that. They go on the ball of your foot and redistribute weight

Thank you for your help. I will look for the metatarsale pads over the weekend at the McDaddy running shop.

Yahoo! Went 7 miles today and the weather was GoYgEoUs! I know it doesn't REALLY count but I loved seeing 129 on the scale after workout!

MileHighMama
01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Fat! Sounds like you have found some great classes at your gym. Where do you workout? I've been thinking about doing the 10M in Feb but I think it is too much for me, too. I'm still a newbie and don't want to push it. I feel so good right now but my ankles and knees are still a bit tweaky and I don't want to risk an injury at this point. Plus, I am interested in trying to improve my time for the 5M I did in January (Frosty's Frozen) and want to focus on that.

Pam

blueridgegirl
01-23-2010, 07:48 PM
MHM - welcome! You are wise to start with a bit of caution as a newbie - better to prevent any ankle or knee issues than to lament them...

TBG - even if you know the number on the scale isn't 'real' that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it! :)

MK - wow, sounds rough! It shows your tenacity that you still finished despite it all. Good luck with your recovery and getting some balance back in your system.

FP - I'm sure if you took a more advanced spinning class you could get a good workout. I've taken a few and when they challenge you to increase the resistance - wow, it can be tough. The strength class sounds great - I always find that I push myself in a class more than I would if I am just lifting on my own.

Some good news - I am down half a pound this week, at 203.5 today. Not much, but I'll take it. One small step closer to onederland!

Had a nice 3.5 mile run today outside - cool, but sunny and not too much wind. A bit frustrating that I had to take a few walk breaks on the hills and go slower than I would on a TM (it took me just over 45 minutes), but I know I'm getting a better workout and I get to enjoy the spectacular view. I'm running three days a week and might try adding a fourth run at some point - I'm nervous b/c I want to be gentle on my joints, but perhaps will give it a try in the next few weeks. I'm headed to DC for a few days next week on business and planning ways to not let my eating get derailed when I'm out of my usual routine.

Happy weekend!

suecd
01-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi Everyone! I'm going to join you in running through January. I'm writing this as I'm trying to psych myself up for running outside later this afternoon, even though it's gray and cold out.

I was a non-runner for 20 years--thought I couldn't, due to a once broken leg and shaky knees. At 40, however, much to my surprise, I learned that I could run after all. I did C25K in the spring of 08 and was delighted that it actually worked and that I could run 3 miles by the end of it. Since then, I've had stretches of several months of good running, followed by an injury or illness or something else that's gotten in the way. e.g. I was in great shape in the early summer (09) and then got sick with what turned out to be Lyme disease, which knocked me out for most of a month. I started myself up again at the end of the summer and was doing great--I ran my first 5K in early December (in just over 35 minutes, which was exciting, since it was a personal best)--and then had to stop for 3 weeks while I had to take IV antibiotics for the Lyme, which was only belatedly diagnosed late in the fall.

So, it's frustrating--every time I feel like I'm making progress, there's a setback. But I lost the IV on New Year's Eve and have been running in the weeks since then. Since I'm still a bit nervous about my knees, I'm going for 3 times a week, interspersed with other exercise. But I'm working on my speed (and getting a bit faster) and hoping to run another 5K in the next few months. The winter challenge is that I've been running on the treadmill 2 days a week, when I'm at the gym, but I'm trying to get 1 outside run in as well over the weekend. (I live in New England, which is less conducive to outdoor winter runs than other places.) I did just buy a 1/2 price Mountain Hardwear windstopper jacket from Sierra Trading Post, and that helps.

Anyway, it was inspiring to read through this thread, and I'm pleased to find other new runners (not to mention the experienced ones!)

Fat Pants
01-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Fat! Sounds like you have found some great classes at your gym. Where do you workout? I've been thinking about doing the 10M in Feb but I think it is too much for me, too. I'm still a newbie and don't want to push it. I feel so good right now but my ankles and knees are still a bit tweaky and I don't want to risk an injury at this point. Plus, I am interested in trying to improve my time for the 5M I did in January (Frosty's Frozen) and want to focus on that.

Pam

Pam ~ I just joined the YMCA - I'm really loving it so far! It has a great indoor track for days like today when I'm too much of a wimp to run outside. :) One of these days I'll utilize the pool when my legs need a rest. Yeah I definitely think I am going to sit the 10M out ... there's a 10k in the Springs at the end of February that I'll probably do, just to get back into racing. I was thinking about the excitement of race day the other morning... it's like no other!

Blue - I definitely think being in a class motivates you more! It's crazy when I think about the strength class... it's not new stuff but for some reason I just feel compelled/motivated to keep up with the others! Even though it was killer, I'm excited for my second class tomorrow evening!

sue - welcome and sorry to hear about your troubles. That sort of stuff can be so frustrating, be it a running injury or other disease. I think (and as I'm sure you have also discovered) that daily exercise - especially running -does so much good for the body, mind and soul. It's much more than a tool for weight loss, you know? Sounds like you have some great goals mapped out for yourself!

Nothing too exciting happening my way... got a 5 miler planned for today's training schedule. Only 10 lbs away from my goal weight as of yesterday morning.... CRAZY!! Trying to decide how I want to celebrate once I get there... :)

loquaciousjogger
01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
hey everyone. I've been sucked into the school trap...and coping with stuff. so, I haven't been running lately. :( But, yesterday I totally went to the gym and since there were people on everything but the weights, I did a solid bit of weights and some mountain climbers. I don't see the results since my period is coming any day now [so bloated!!] but hopefully by the time it's over, my thighs will look as sleek as they feel! :)

I don't think I'm at my minigoal weight currently, but.... no idea. I'm working on eating healthier and I'll work my way down to it once again. My period (assuming it comes in the next day or two!) should be over right in time for the beginning of February, giving me a month to seriously work at getting to 140 [then lower!].

EveLHaelf
01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Loquacious, hang in there! It sucks when you get so caught up with life/work/school that it gets harder to make time for yourself. You will be under the 140's in no time!

Fat, only 10 more pounds!!! Ahhh! that is so exciting! You will absolutely get there, so proud of you! Congrats! I didn't like my first spinning class, either. But I went a few more times and I ended up getting hooked. When I looked down at the floor and could see all the drops of sweat, I knew I was getting a great workout! Hope you end up liking it, too! How is hm training going?

Welcome, sue! I know how you feel with running setbacks. My doctor told me to stop running until we figure out what can be done about my hip.

blue, good luck on staying on plan in dc! You can do it! Just plan plan plan!

So I hate my doctor. I've been waiting for over a week for my 'referral letter' to come in so I can call the orthopedics guy and make an appointment to get some progress made on my stupid hip. I get the letter yesterday and call today after work to make the appointment. The receptionist tells me that not only did they refer me to the wrong doctor, but that the doctor that does do hips needs a film copy of my x ray which I got done, and he needs me to get an mri before I can even make an appointment with him. I call up my original doctor and the earliest I can get an mri is in about 2 weeks and i have to drive 50+ miles to get it because the mri machine we have is booked all next month. How crazy is that?!:mad:

I haven't ran since the first of january, being patient and trusting my doctor but this is getting nuts. I'm seriously considering a 'trial run' just to see if i still get the hip pain. I'm just so frustrated because I need to get started training for my half marathon in June and I feel like not only am I not making progress but I'm LOSING my hard earned endurance and will have to start all over again. :(

There's my rant for the day, sorry ladies. Hope everyone has a nice running day today!:hug:

loquaciousjogger
01-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Aw Eve, at least you'll be ready mentally to get back into the swing of things.
Personally, my endurance has died... Hopefully i'll be able to get it back soon. I mean, sure, it's annoying that you need to work at where you were before, but when you get there, you can be proud of where you are!

I've been going to the gym and focusing on weights, especially with my legs. The thing I'm most conscious about is the fat on my thighs...and although I really want thin thighs, I'm kind of excited by the prospect of them becoming mostly muscle, since that's where the majority of my weight goes! I mean, I don't want bulky thighs forever, but once I get my running endurance up, it will really help me go longer.

Today...Hopefully a mile on the treadmile then...we'll see! :)

blueridgegirl
01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Greetings from DC! I got here yesterday morning and have been staying pretty well on plan, with the exception of drinking a fair amount of wine last night (yes, mixing in a bit of pleasure on my business trip). But doing a ton of walking, and planned ahead by bringing my baggies with dry oatmeal, almonds, and cinnamon to make breakfast. I'll be back Thursday night so I can still get a good long run in this week (going to try for five miles - aaah! that seems so long!!!)

Monday night I took a boot camp class at the gym: 12 stations (things like chest flys, wall jumps, medicine ball chops, squat/bicep presses) each one for 40 seconds, then onto the next. We did the whole circuit 3 times and then ended with 7 or so minutes of ab work. Only about45 minutes but a good intense workout - sweat drops were coming off my face when I bent over to lift up a weight! I enjoy mixing up my workout routine by including classes, so I'll definitely be back. I'd recommend trying a boot camp class if they're offered where you all are - a nice mix of strength and cardio.

Eve - thanks for the encouragement. Sorry to hear about your doctor woes - that is really frustrating. Maybe you could try a short, slow run just to see how you feel? And stop if it starts hurting? although I don't want to tell you to go against your dr advice, I can understand how rough this must be since it's taking so long to sort out.

Loquacious - focusing on weights at the gym is great. I have been dedicated to my strength routine for several months now and it definitely helps. Muscle burns more calories than fat, even if you're just sitting there and not using it. And definitely makes you looked more toned. Way to go on getting to gym despite the other things you're juggling.

Sue - welcome! Glad to have you on the thread.

Okay, off to go for a walk through Tacoma Park...

EveLHaelf
01-27-2010, 06:31 PM
loquacious, my thighs are a sensitive spot for me, too! They just seem to BULGE out :eek: we'll get those toned sexy thighs one day if we keep on truckin'!

blue, glad to hear dc is going well so far. You can totally do the 5 miles, you rock! I'm going to try a nice and easy run on saturday to see how I feel. :crossed:

I did my weight training when I got home from work and I've got spinning class tonight. Looking forward to getting a good sweat going!

loquaciousjogger
01-27-2010, 09:24 PM
blue ridge: thanks for the encouragement! :) I went today for an hour. did around 40 minutes (1.5 miles on the treadmill + 20 min elliptical) + 15 minutes weights. I know muscle can be great. I got back on my treadmill routine today and although my endurance is shot since I'm just starting up again, I felt like it took far less effort to run intensely now that my legs have muscle.

eve: hopefully! I've been actually watching what I eat quite a bit....and now upping going to the gym to at least 4x a week. My legs/*** look SLEEK and toned.... no fat buldge near the knee! :) But, they're BIG. I'm still in awe that when I poke my thighs, I don't feel jiggle--I feel muscle. I know I'm pre-period bloating, hence why I don't see the results, but it already seems firmer. Today, I wore my jeans tucked into my boots (something I rarely ever do since it emphasizes how disproportionate my thighs are to the rest of my frame!) and actually felt like I looked good [and stayed warm!]. After I reach my next minigoal (140 or 135), I'll post pictures. I took some 149ish front/side/back...so, hopefully a significant improvement! :)

A friend who knows my objective pointed out that when you do weights, it creates bulgey muscle rather than making you look thinner, but doesn't it get rid of the fat? I was wondering about this... I just looked it up, apparently although muscle weighs more than fat, fat takes up x5 the space of muscle, aka if you gain muscle, for women, you look leaner and slimmer! Yessss, there's hope for us eve! :D

Fat Pants
01-28-2010, 09:25 AM
You're exactly right, Loquacious. It's pretty much impossible for women to "bulk up" from weight lifting because we just don't have the hormones (testosterone) to do so - unless of course you're taking steroids. ;) Weight lifting makes you tighter, toned, and generally look better. I posted in another thread that I feel like I look 10 lbs heavier than I really am because I didn't incorporate weight lifting from the very beginning... I'm just a bunch of fluff from running (well, except for my legs... lol). As far as fat taking up more space than muscle, that's again correct... it's why someone who weighs 145 lbs can actually look smaller and better fit than someone who weighs 135 lbs but is "skinny fat."

PLUS. Major benefit from weight lifting is that it improves running by 10 fold. :D

Fat Pants
01-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to post my update... ran 5 miles on Tuesday, did an athletic conditioning class on Wednesday.... came home with a pulled groin. Awesome. I will be out of commission until this heals up. :( Anyone have any ideas on what I can do in the meantime?

loquaciousjogger
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Skinny Jeans: At least you did 5 miles on Tuesday and the class! Maybe, do some toning exercises for your upper body... not really sure what else you can do besides wait. :( I've definitely seen my running quickly come back to me as I've upped using leg weights. I had a hamstring injury last summer... I think a major component on it was the fact that my hamstring muscle wasn't able to handle the weight of my body while sprinting, especially at that point in time.

Last night, did 1.5M on the treadmill @9/8:50ish + elliptical + weights. I was a little lighter on the weights last night and my legs seem significantly less bulky today [since the muscle is healing/developing!] :). This morning I looked in the mirror when I was getting dressed. I have NEVER seen my butt so toned! :D This is exciting. Since I've been OP [for the most part caloric-wise!], I can't imagine how fit I will look when I reach my next mini-goal since I'll be a muscled 140, rather than a "skinny-fat" 140.

I'm starting to focus a little less of the toning on my thighs like I always do...and focus on my upper arms [can barely lift 10lbs...] and my love handles. Since I'm pear shaped, most of my weight is in my thighs so I really don't have that much of a stomach. But, I do have love handles...I must fight them, since stomach and arms do factor into running!

I'm going to try to go tonight for a short weight/cardio workout although I have studying to do! Sigh, 20 credits is not what it is worked up to be.

momof5k
02-01-2010, 01:43 AM
It's been kind of quiet here lately :)

I just finished week three of Hal Higdon's 10 k novice program and did four miles on the treadmill. Phew!! Glad that one is over!

It was not a good time of day to start (after 10pm) and my legs felt leg dead weights pretty much the whole time but I did it! It took my almost 50 minutes but that's okay with me right now. Slow and steady is my plan....in preparation for my half marathon relay in May.

We leave for our holidays next week Thursday so I am looking forward to some outdoor Florida runs! This -30 business is getting old fast :(

Hope everyone is doing okay! See you in the February thread :)