Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #1  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Running Through January!!

Ha!! I win!!

Have at it, ladies! Hope you all had a great new years eve!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #2  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

mind if I join you guys this month? Instead of focusing on a weightloss goal for the next two months I'm my goal is going to be to complete the C25k. I've already worked out today so my next work out will be week one of the program!!
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

All,
this might be a long post, but i NEED feedback....

ive come to an understanding, a realization, an EPIPHANY, if you will. I have royally "F" ed up my metabolism due to extreme overtraining and underfeeding. I cannot eat more than 12-1400 cals a day without gaining, and thats WITH the training i do. I am incredibly unhappy, i am angry, i have horrendous mood swings, i am fatigued and unmotivated, i have ZERO sex drive, i cant focus or concentrate and i havent seen my period in over 6 months. Im so OVERTRAINED it is killing me (possibly literally?). Every hormone from leptin, to cortisol to adrenaline to estrogen is so outta whack, and have been that way for quite some time.

I found a "metabolic repair" program, that i am currently trying to research a little more. But i am giving VERY SERIOUS THOUGHT to scrapping qualifying for Boston at the moment, and starting this program immediately after i run phoenix in a couple weeks.
The program goes into detail for about 100 pages what is wrong with me, medically, scientific reasoning behind what is happend to my body. it the outlines a VERY DETAILED 8 + week program. The first two weeks are nothing but REST. Literally nothing that isnt daily activity, such as walking to my car. This will be hard. RIDICULOUSLY hard. i have not taken a break since i started working out over 3 years ago. The calories and carb ratios are slowly increased at stages throughout out this program, as i progress through the weeks. I wont be running. I will be eating. ANd it ends with a "refeeding" week, where i basically binge for a week, and overload my system and send my hormones into over production, so that i can begin to train again, and consume the right amount of calories. Many of the woman who went through this now "maintain" at 2000- to 2400 cals a day, and thats not even when they are training!! When they train the daily cals go higher! Its goign to be REALLY hard for me, psychologically, and physically. In the end, worse case scenario-- it doesnt work, i gain 5 pounds, BUT i get some DESPERATELY needed rest, and my body should be fully recovered and repaired and ready to train again.

After the REPAIR there is an in-depth fat burn program, once my metabolism is healthy agian, and ABLE to burn fat again.

I plan on 'cutting" healthy after that (at much healthier levels), and training to qualify for Boston during the summer, when the COLD wont be an issue too.

This decision has not been FULLY made, but...... i need to know what you all think.....

To be honest, the thought of continuing/jumping right back into training for Boston, on Monday after Phoenix, is scary to me. I dont want to hate running.

Last edited by mkroyer; 01-01-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

Welcome Zephyr!! i think an exercise related goal, rather than weight loss is an excellent idea!! It might give you a needed break from worrying so much about the "scale!"
Old 01-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

Tomorrow i run 22 miles!! Wahoos!!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #6  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

MK, in my opinion when you aren't enjoying the training/running etc anymore you may be over trained. From what you were describing it does sound like your body/hormones may be out of whack and or overtrained. The program you have described sounds like it is certainly worth a shot. Another suggestion, is a book I've read "Master your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. It goes into great detail about all the different hormones and how certain foods affect them. It doesn't go into as much detail on how to fix it other than just buying 'whole foods' and going organic. But the info on hormones might be more valuable to you.

As far as Boston goes, It will always be there. If you are worried about the toll all the training is taking on your body then I say go through the program and then start training again. But in the end do what makes you happy. If you are dreading/fearing having to jump right back into training after Phoenix, then put Boston off for a little while. I don't want you to hate running either! I am by no means an expert on hormones or anything, but I say if you aren't enjoying the process anymore then it's time to give yourself a break and take a less demanding approach.

I hope my rambling opinion helps! I'm pulling for you, woman!

Just wanted to update everyone on how my New Years 5k went: 36:30!!! That is a solid 3 minute and change improvement from Thanksgiving! I started tearing up when I saw the clock at the finish line. Thanks to everyone for being inspirational and keeping me in check! My right hip hurts like crazy though! argh!

Everyone have a good new years!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #7  
so close I can feel it!

mkroyer~Good luck on your 22 miles, I'm sure you'll do great!! I find it amazing that anybody can run that many miles all at once!! I agree with everything that Eve said. Definately sounds like your body needs a rest. I hope that you'll be able to get everything back to normal soon!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #8  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

MK: You have to do what's best for you. Your the only one who can decide what that is. You're right Boston will always be there. Your plan sound good, hard but good. I wish you a path to the happiness you deserve.....
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #9  
In the desert...

MK - I think you're describing classic overtraining. Only you can know if the program you're suggesting is something that you feel will work for you - it certainly sounds very interesting and as you say, if it doesn't work, no harm done, and very possibly some good done simply by resting. If you are unhappy with running - and yet you obviously love it and are very good at it, based on your posts and your times - it could well be that a break is what you most need, both emotionally and physically. Eight weeks is nothing in the grander scheme of things and it would give you time to put your head back where you want it to be. As EveL said, Boston will always be there and if you qualify and then run Boston in a year when you're happier and healthier, you will enjoy it so much more. I suspect even if you opt not to do a formal program, some sort of rest period, then working back into training mode, sounds like it might be something worth trying. I speak from no experience - I am so far from overtrained, it's not even funny! - but just based on your post, that's my take on it.

EveL - isn't it great when you run a time that makes you smile? I have a goal to break 30 minutes for a 5k, but my best so far is 33:10 (and that made me nearly cry because it's the only time I've broken 35 minutes). Maybe this year will be my year for a sub-30 5k!

Zephyr - I did the C25K a couple of years ago and it's really good for beginning runners. I liked how it built upon the previous week and never pushed too hard - so many people starting out tend to increase the miles too quickly and the C25K really guides you in not doing that. Have you picked a 5k race for your goal? I found that was really motivating for me - I did one nine weeks after I started the program and felt like that was my reward for finishing the program.

As for me - yeah, running in December sucked. My own fault - I just stopped bothering through the holidays. Now I have to start over - well, not entirely, as I've been "off" for about two weeks, but for sure I'll need to do some walk/runs and cut the miles down a bit to get back into the swing of things. Which I MUST do.
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #10  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

Hey gang, thought I'd jump in.

I'm going from not much training to hopefully hitting the Equinox marathon in Fairbanks, AK in September of 2011 (or if not, 2012).

I've just done my relocation from Interior Alaska back to the South (I work at a job a couple months on then a couple months off) so I was gung ho to start into training, but managed to come down with a bacterial bronchitis that has been a little annoying and sticking around.

So, waiting until I'm not hacking up my lungs just from walking up the stairs to get back to it. It's a little frustrating to have all the will in the world, but nothing to do but focus on getting better ;>
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #11  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

Default Happy new year all

Hope everyone who ran a resolution race today had as much fun as my dh and I did. 42 degrees my friends 42 degrees ..... It was a blast though. Run plus dip took us nearly 40 minutes with 1800 or so of our closest crazy friends.

Congrats Evel. Very nice improvement on your time, awesome start to thee year.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #12  
so close I can feel it!

I haven't picked a 5k..I'm not even sure how to find one around here. I know of a few races in October and November but nothing before that. I don't want to think to far ahead because I don't want to get discourage but the one in November is a 9k(I think) and I really want to do that. It's a really big race here on Thanksgiving day..
Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 125kg/121,9kg/99kg

Height: 176cm

Another thermo underwear run this morning.
Didn't go very well. *sigh* My calves and left hip very playing up and made it rather hard to run. I did finish my training though.
In a moment I'm going to ask my Bf very sweetly if he could massage my legs and hip. That would be heavenly!

What about the snow and ice? DO you go out, or do you stay in? I stayed in at first, but then realised I could be in for quite a while and went anyways. It's nor perfect, I know, but the air is quite nice, if somewhat cold.

Yesterday I registered for my first 5KM in March. Plenty of time to train for that. I can run for 25 minutes now!

Marjolein
Marjolein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #14  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

zephyr, what I did to find local races in my area was google "5k races in Idaho" You can also check your local ymca's website for races as well. Also try active.com you can search for events in your area. I just noticed you are in PA! That's where me and my hubs are from! We got moved out to Idaho cuz he's in the Military and we are missin' it!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #15  
Tellin' it like it is!

Ladies,
thanks to all for your responses!
There is NO DOUBT that i am SEVERELY overtrained. That is not in question. I think i have officially decided to do this REPAIR program, with the rest and all, and to be honest, since i made the decision yesterday, it feels as if a HUGE weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The end is in sight for me (ie; after Phoenix in 2 weeks) and then i get to rest, and get back the person i used to be...the happy, instead of the uber fatigued, uber maniacal, uber BI**H. Its like ive been in a constant state of PMS for months. I am glad i am doing this. You are ALL right. Boston will be there for me in the spring, after some much needed, and DESERVED rest.

My 20 mile run was FANTASTIC. I love running with this guy, Brett, becuz he is slower than i am, so i am really able to just relax into my run, and go at his pace, and its extremely enjoyable. He is also running phoenix, and i have decided to step back to HIS starting corral (slower projected finishing time) and run it with him. I think it will be a very enjoyable, fun and positive experience, and then it will be stress free. ALso, the idea of helping someone ELSE to run THIER best marathon is very appealing to me. He wants to run a 4 hr 30 min marathon. Basically a 10 minute mile as his goal. I am going to pace him ( and i did a really good job of it today). We hit 20 miles at 3 hr 28 minutes. And then as soon as i cross the finish line at the marathon, my recovery will officially begin!!