Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #1  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Question for MRC Maintainers

Hey all!
ive been "maintaining" since sept. I also quit smoking at that time, ran a marathon went through the holidays, life, etc etc. I went to the Doctor this week and i was up about 8 pounds. This is not huge, but IT COULD GET THERE, right? So, my question is what do you all do when you are up? Do you go back, strictly on the Green menu?? That is what i was thinking of doing....

Any thought?

I am trying to qualify for Boston, so the 8 pounds is VERY uncomfy, and its slowing down my running
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

no maintainers out there?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm not there yet, but I would either do that or preconditioning menu...
cmb9697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/See ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
Hey all!
ive been "maintaining" since sept. I also quit smoking at that time, ran a marathon went through the holidays, life, etc etc. I went to the Doctor this week and i was up about 8 pounds. This is not huge, but IT COULD GET THERE, right? So, my question is what do you all do when you are up? Do you go back, strictly on the Green menu?? That is what i was thinking of doing....

Any thought?

I am trying to qualify for Boston, so the 8 pounds is VERY uncomfy, and its slowing down my running
Before you go back to the green menu, have you really analyzed what you're eating? I know I've stopped using my food diary, and I've seen where it's easy to start eating more calories than you realize. Also, what is your carb to protein ratio? I've tried to keep to always eating a protein with carbs, like we did through the weight loss phase, and keep the total amount of lean protein high and not shift too man calories to carbs like bread, pasta, etc. Also, I've noticed I have to really think about keeping my water intake up, which really helps with appetite suppression. I've added a couple of pounds over Christmas, but I know why. I've stepped up my exercise to help get rid of those extra pounds. Since exercise in general isn't your problem, do you need to do a different kind of exercise than just running? Good luck in the rest of your training and your marathon! I admire your commitment to that kind of physical challenge!
Succeed09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

Succeed,
THANKS for the response!! You know, i went and got a digital scale a few days ago, and started really, REALLY analyzing what i was eating, and i think ive been going WAY over in calories, as in, way more than i REALIZED i was eating, and thats most of the problem!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #6  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Succeed,
THANKS for the response!! You know, i went and got a digital scale a few days ago, and started really, REALLY analyzing what i was eating, and i think ive been going WAY over in calories, as in, way more than i REALIZED i was eating, and thats most of the problem!
mkroyer, did you get a digital scale for weighing your food? I used a cheapie from Harbor Freight during the weight loss part - I just could not judge serving sizes. BJ Warehouse (like Costco or Sam's Club) started carrying one made by Taylor called The Biggest Loser ( http://shop.bjs.com/The-Biggest-Lose...VVviewprod.htm ) but I have hesitated to buy it because it is $40. I did buy the Taylor Body Fat scale to weigh myself ($27) because it calculates body fat%, water% and fat free %similar to the Tanika used in the centers.

I'm not sure of how to answer your question of what to do when we gain a few pounds. I have heard we should not go back onto the yellow menus more than twice a year - but that does seem to be a good way to get back into ketosis. Maybe a couple days yellow, 3 days blue then back onto the green until down to where you want to be. I have inched up a few pounds over the holidays (also had a hernia repaired) but think I am just going to watch what I eat, weigh out portions and get back into the little bit of exercise I can do. Succeed09 also mentioned protein to carb ratio - I learned a couple weeks ago, MRC tries to keep us on a 60-20-20 Protein to carb to fat. It is really hard to get that much protein without HNSs. We use a protein powder (whey isolate) but it is not as much fun as HNSs

Good luck with your marathon training - keep drinking that water - we'll be cheering you on! Only 103 more days! jeanette

Last edited by reuselady; 01-06-2010 at 08:46 PM.
reuselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Hey all!

Any thought?

You should have a year of maintanance, so I would call or stop in to your center and talk to them as to what you should do. If you don't have a center near you, I would call one closest to you and I am sure they would help you.

Good luck on your maintanance!

Cheers!

Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote