100 lb. Club - JANUARY NSV's

View Full Version : JANUARY NSV's

DishyFishy
01-05-2006, 01:07 PM
NON-SCALE VICTORIES

We all know that the scales don't tell the whole story--not by a long shot. This thread is where we post details of the other things that remind us we're becoming slimmer and healthier, regardless of what the number on the scale is. An NSV might be that you've resisted temptation, moved down a clothing size, discovered that you can touch your toes for the first time in years, etc.. Whatever it is, large or small, share your NSV here. :)

My first NSV of the year:
My measurements are going in the right direction again. :carrot: I've had to get some links taken out of my gold bracelet because it slips right over my hand now--I've gone down two glove sizes since last April.

5 January 2006

Bust: 43" -1
Waist: 34" -0.5
Hips: 44" -1.5

Weight: 195

luckymommy
01-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for posting what NSV stands for! I've been wondering about that for quite some time! Hehehehehe! I was to embarrassed to ask! How silly is that! ;)

cathydoe
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
There is a post somewhere that tells what a lot of the acronyms mean... I would have to do a search for it...maybe someone can give immediate directions how to get there incase someone wants to check it out.

Wow Sandi you are on the ball this morning...getting us all organized on 3FC. Thank you!

thistoo
01-01-2010, 01:05 PM
First NSV of the year: I ran a 5K this morning in 35:18. That's a personal best for me, even beating my own treadmill time. I am a really slow runner, but I pushed this morning and I'm psyched to have done so much better than I thought I could.

Lyn2007
01-02-2010, 01:05 PM
My relatively new, size 18 jeans are LOOSE. I have not worn a 16 in... well, many many years, like probably 15 years! Soon I'll be in them again.

time2lose
01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I cleaned out the kitchen this morning. All the remaining Christmas junk food is gone so I can walk into the kitchen without temptation.

ubergirl
01-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Running!!!!

CLCSC145
01-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I had to move my telescoping steering wheel closer to me. I guess a shrinking rear and less back fat (ew) means I'm sitting farther back in my seat! My feet are also farther away from the pedals which is a good thing as I have long legs and have never felt like I could get the seat in any car back far enough to be truly comfortable. Yay me!

LizR
01-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Down to size 18. :D

uclr0028
01-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Finally got into a size 20 pair of jeans.. Down from a size 30/32

Loving Me
01-03-2010, 10:11 AM
It's sort of a scale victory, but more an NSV because today I got DH to get weighed this morning and for the first time in YEARS, I now weigh less than him!!!! I was so stoked!! DH is starting his healthy eating regime again tomorrow and will probably soon be lower than me again, but not for long because I'm in this for the long haul and he'll no doubt slack off again in a couple of months lol.

SNMomof1
01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
DF went to Wendys and came back with a baconator (for himself). Not only did I NOT ask for a bite, but I also didn't pop him in the head for eating it around me. ;) He brought me back a mandarin chicken salad, but I can't get an accurate measurement of how many calories it is. The website says over 1k (WOWZA!) but other sites say 550. WTH?

PeanutsMom704
01-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Put on a shirt that I wore 20 lbs more but I would stretch out a little bit before putting on so that it wasn't quite so snug and didn't hug my bumps and bulges.

Today, fresh out of the dryer, it was loose!

PeanutsMom704
01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
It's sort of a scale victory, but more an NSV because today I got DH to get weighed this morning and for the first time in YEARS, I now weigh less than him!!!! I was so stoked!! DH is starting his healthy eating regime again tomorrow and will probably soon be lower than me again, but not for long because I'm in this for the long haul and he'll no doubt slack off again in a couple of months lol.

All the others posted here are great, but I have to say I love this one.

bluebutterfly
01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
I haven't been able to lay (comfortably) on my stomach for a long time. It felt like there was a lump of blankets under me - but it was really my belly fat.

Today, I was reading in bed and rolled over on my stomach, without even thinking. Suddenly I realized there was no lump!!! Amazing :carrot:

cfmama
01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I am wearing pants that are too small for my husband AND undies that he mistakenly bought in a mens medium THAT FIT ME. And they look cute in a boyish kinda way ;)

bcort
01-03-2010, 09:34 PM
I exercised 5 times this week, & went sledding with the kids! I forgot how great a workout you get when you sled, & I haven't done it for a while b/c I was too embarrassed - enough of that - I'm going to start having more fun w/ my kids!

salsa chip
01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
This evening I sensed that I couldn't finish my dinner - so I put the rest in the fridge for another time. It's been a while since I've done that...the feeling of (re-)taking control is good :)

Smiling_Sara
01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
One of my biggest ones to date:

Went to dress barn yesterday with my Aunt to help her find a dress for the wedding. I am currently a size 16. I was browsing the womens section for a black skirt for myself as well. I was looking at the 14W's. A women who worked there said that this section started at 1X and that I wouldn't fit into this section. :carrot:

CLCSC145
01-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I've had a recessed light bulb over my kitchen island that burned out a long time ago. The island is wide and the ceilings are over 9 feet, so there was no way to use a ladder to reach it - someone would need to stand on the island.

I avoided it for about a year because A) I would have to hop up to sit on the island and then bring myself to a standing position - and hauling myself from a sitting position was NOT something I did well for a very long time; B) I was afraid my weight would crack the granite slab countertop; and C) when I was heavy, my balance was TERRIBLE and I was really afraid I'd fall off and die and then who would feed my dogs? ;).

Today I noticed the bulb again, hopped up on the counter, swung around and popped up onto my feet, changed the bulb, easily returned to sitting and hopped down.

A year of a dead bulb - 118 pounds + 30 seconds of very little effort = a changed bulb and a very happy girl!

Lucky Charm
01-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Last night as I laid down in bed, I could feel my ribs when i ever so gently pressed onto my skin with my fingers. At first I thought, oh my God, is it some kind of tumor? Some kind of hernia? After thoroughly checking I realized that it was, indeed, my ribs :D

Also, I have always had swollen feet. Now I can feel my ankle bones poking outward slightly and my wrist bone is slightly more pronounced.

Rosinante
01-07-2010, 04:59 PM
#1 I did a whole day 100% on plan. First time in weeks.

#2 Despite atrociously snowy/icy pavements, I walked into town with my shopping trolley, bought a whole stack of cut price veggies and dragged it all the way back up the hill home.

catowned
01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I had a successful trip to the grocery store! :hug:

chickiegirl
01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I made it though a free pizza lunch and stuck to my veggies, turkey and whole grain bread.

And I got up early this morning to ensure I got my 20 minutes of exercise in before heading out -- making four days each of 20 minutes of activity.

Small victories, but I'm happy. :D

PeanutsMom704
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM
this week started off with a bang - literally! At 1 am on Sunday night/Monday morning, a car crashed through my garage wall, severing a high pressure gas line. We spent several hours in a police cruiser, waiting until the gas could be turned off, and but then were not able to go back home until Tuesday night. It will probably be close to a week before my garage is fully rebuilt. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured (although a firefighter was treated due to exposure to the gas fumes).

And I didn't reach out to food as a result of all of this stress!!! I kept using Fitday to log what I ate, and kept making healthy choices (my main issue was that I wasn't eating enough, actually). I know in the past, I would have told myself that after this sort of experience, I "deserved" to eat whatever I want but now I know that I deserve to be fit and healthy more than anything.

Still off track re: exercise because of sleeping poorly (my son and I have both had some nightmares) after all of this, but I think we are getting back to normal and hope to get back into that groove this weekend.

CLCSC145
01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Oh, Peanutsmom, that's awful! Congrats for staying in control though!

Forgotten Quill
01-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Wow, I actually have one today.

I went "shopping in my closet" a few months back and found a pair of jeans I used to wear back in high school. When I was finally able to wear them again, they looked good, but they were tight.

This morning, I wore them again for the first time in awhile and they are...loose--especially around the waist. Considering I carry 90% of my weight in my stomach (I really wish I was kidding about that, but that's probably close to accurate), I call that a pretty solid NSV.

ubergirl
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
My waist FINALLY dropped below 40" YAYAYAYAY

CLCSC145
01-08-2010, 04:18 PM
My waist FINALLY dropped below 40" YAYAYAYAY

I'm SOOOO happy for you! I know that's bugged you like mine has bugged me. :cheer:

JustBeckyV
01-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Buying a new sweater in size Large!

medinazarley
01-10-2010, 11:02 PM
I was jealous of all the fabulous 3fc-ers with new pics so I tried on the suit I wore to a "mock interview" last semester at my highest weight. The suit was tight when I wore it, and I slipped on the slacks and they buttoned easily, I didnt fear they were gonna pop off at all!

LizR
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Just dropped out of the obese range for BMI. I am now overweight!! :carrot:

time2lose
01-11-2010, 12:01 PM
In South Carolina, we are used to hot weather, not cold. Add in feeling cold from weight loss and this cold spell has been really hard to handle. I was able to buy heavy sweaters at Walmart. A year or two ago, I would have had to go to Catherine's. Of course, a year or two ago, I wouldn't have felt the cold so much!

singingmua
01-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I think my NSV is probably pretty lame, but I'm gonna celebrate it anyway... :carrot:

I have determined that Saturday's will be my "treat day" (not CHEAT day... I don't care for that term... makes it seem like you're doing something illegal... LOL), and this past Saturday, I decided to go to a pastry shop (won't say the name or what I had... don't want to be anyone's stumbling block). Normally at this pastry shop, I will order 4 items, and eat all 4 in the car (usually picking the items that are loaded with "extras"). On Saturday, I got only ONE of the plainest items on the menu, and ate that ONE as part of my treat day, without bingeing and getting 3 or 4 more of the more extravagant menu items and eating them all.

ToriLeigh
01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I have stayed on plan all day today. No extra treats and no chocolate! I have a tendancy to be a snacker and I just kept busy today doing stuff around the house and running errands, and voila, no extra snacks!

I think my NSV is probably pretty lame, but I'm gonna celebrate it anyway... :carrot:

It's not lame at all, I think it is awesome when you can resist that kind of temptation. Great going!

salsa chip
01-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Today I walked to the second floor.

I used to walk to the first floor, but would take the lift to the second. Today I got in and started walking and lo! There on the second floor I was. Not even out of breath....

Dibblee
01-11-2010, 07:40 PM
My NSV is kinda lame but here goes....

I've eaten a bag of salad and a bag of spinach this week. I've walked a minimum of 40 minutes every day. For me, the salad and spinach thing is HUGE!

calluna
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I walked past the cookies and fudge that a client brought in for me a dozen times today without dipping in once. Rather than sampling or taking them home, I encouraged students and co-workers to partake.

If they detected the slight tinge of hysterical desperation in my encouragement, well, such is life! ;)

srr728
01-12-2010, 07:40 PM
I got up early before work....and worked out! my exercise has been close to nil so far and I LOVE sleep. So i'm proud of myself

thistoo
01-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Ladies, ladies. There is no such thing as a lame NSV! Celebrate the little things, they are what make the difference in the long run.

Here's mine for today: I went out to dinner with a work friend tonight. She's cool and all, but she is always trying to get me to eat off-plan. (I think I just make her feel guilty for eating carbs or something, but that's her issue, not mine.) Tonight she wanted to go to an Italian place (danger Will Robinson!) which was scary, but I looked at the menu beforehand and picked out a healthy salad.

I had a super-stressful day and by the time we got to dinner I wanted to have pasta. I reallyreally wanted to. But I ordered the healthy Mandarin Walnut salad with added grilled chicken and dressing on the side. It was really good and satisfying. I did have a glass of wine with it, but I had the calories so that was fine.

Then my friend wanted to look at the dessert menu. She was really trying hard to get me to order something. I ordered a cup of decaf and she ordered a piece of Chocolate Italian Cream Cake. (Describing all this I am starting to think she secretly hates me!) I did have a carefully measured half-bite to try it, but that was it. One little taste and the decaf and I was happy. That's a pretty major victory for me, when there was authentic Tiramisu in the vicinity.

ubergirl
01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I AGREE that there is no such thing as a lame NSV.

Celebrate EVERY victory!

So, here's my NSV.

I've started baking bread instead of buying it. And it's UBER good. The kind of thing that really tempts me. So this morning, I cut a slice, and weighed it. I cut it thin, but it was dense bread and it weighed 100 gms. I knew I did not have the calories alloted for 100 gms and I had this momentary feeling that the bread was going to "make me eat it..." and somehow it was going to end up in my mouth even though I hadn't planned for it.

But that's not what happened. Instead, I calmly cut the piece in half, reweighed it to make sure I had gotten 50 gms and wrapped up the other half piece.

Funny thing was, when I ate it, I could tell it was a good size serving-- I did not miss the other half at all.

Amber1011
01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Today. I walked from my apartment to the edge of my campus with my fiancee!!! It is a 1.5 mile roundtrip.

People kept telling me we had a great apartment for walking distance, and I just looked at them like they were crazy! I would never be able to do that!
Well - tonight I went there AND back!
I know a mile and a half doesn't seem like much to some people, but for me that is a big accomplishment. I'm not going to lie - it was really hard for me, and I made it about a half mile before my back started KILLING me. Yet, I didn't give up and I made it all the way!

It was a big NSV for me.

:carrot::carrot::carrot:

duckyyellowfeet
01-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Today, my friend stole all of my Weight Watchers stuff that I could spare and decided to start it herself. She told me that she was so impressed with my results and was inspired to start the program herself because, through my work, she realized it was time.

I was like...whoah. Its nice to be someone's inspiration for once

ubergirl
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM
I sat up in bed this morning without rolling on to my side! ABS my friends!

It started with rolling over and grabbing the bed post, then I graduated to just rolling over.

But this morning. Pop! I popped right up.

Kae
01-13-2010, 09:33 AM
AWESOME NSV'S EVERYONE!... Very inspiring... thanks for sharing!

ToriLeigh
01-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Mine for today...
I'm sick with a some stupid cold or sinus or God knows what and feel like poo. However, instead of laying around and eating "comfort food" (junk) all day like I normally do when I am sick, I took a hot shower and then worked out. Not a great workout, only about 25 minutes, but still it was 200 calories I wouldn't have burned otherwise and a first for me...

bluebutterfly
01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
After my shower this morning I was putting on lotion. For the first time I noticed a particularly big stretch mark thing. My first reaction was: "Oh, gross..that's so ugly..etc." But, after only a few seconds, my attitude and self talk changed. I gently rubbed in a bit more lotion and said (to myself): "Thank you for being such a strong body...you get me around and haven't ever quit...no matter how much I've abused you...it's okay now...good body..."

I know that sounds a little nuts, but it's a big step forward in accepting myself ana having an attitude of gratitude!!

DivineFidelity
01-13-2010, 11:18 PM
I worked out today for the first time in a LONG TIME! I did the first day of the 30 day challenge on EA Active for the Wii...low intensity, and it still kicked my butt...but something is better then nothing, and if I keep it up, I can improve..and maybe I'll be able to do it on high intensity some day. =D

time2lose
01-14-2010, 09:42 AM
I am dance challenged as I have two left feet. I never could do a grapevine in those exercise videos that have dance moves. Well, I love Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds video for many reasons, but one being that it does not have dance moves. I got a new DVD of hers that has some slightly different moves. In this one, she has you do a double side step which I can do, no problem. Then she showed how to change the double side step to a grapevine. It made sense and I can do it!!!

I am excited! :carrot:

ubergirl
01-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Ok, this is kind of a weird one, but....

This morning I noticed that my ABS are strong enough that when I suck in my gut, my tummy flap goes away!!!!!

For the longest time, I did NOT HAVE ABS. I mean, I had them, but they were so stressed from morbid obesity and four pregnancies that I really couldn't suck them in at all.

It makes me hopeful that the flap might go away entirely one of these days.

Here's hoping!

jigglefree
01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I have about three pair of pants I quit wearing because when I did they weren't long enough. They were when I bought them and I figured they shrunk in the wash. But my hips were getting bigger, hence the length was shorter. This morning I tried on a pair and they were touching the floor and not my body. I'm only on day 11 of my healthy self!!

PeanutsMom704
01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
no movement on the scale, but I'm still sticking to plan so one of my NSVs is that I've had perfect a perfect score on the points challenge here 5 days in a row.

My second NSV is that the pants I am using as a benchmark buttoned this morning! Still too tight to actually wear, but a major difference from not even being able to get them closed.

thistoo
01-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Yesterday morning, after getting off the scale (and seeing 155 for the zillionth morning in a row, ugh) I decided I would make myself late for work by trying on every pair of size 8 pants in my closet. I have quite a collection, as it turns out. Only one pair buttoned and zipped, and they are waaaaay too tight to wear out, but still, I got into a pair of size 8s!

The last time we worked out together my sister looked at me and said, "Your butt is smaller." I guess she was right.

ubergirl
01-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Saw a bunch of people at work today whom I hadn't seen in a couple of months-- that same couple of months when I felt stalled on weight loss- only about 8 pounds down total.

But those who hadn't seen me in a while, I could tell they were REALLY surprised! (and one cutie was definitely flirting with me-- now that's a first...)

Came home tired, hopped on the treadmill and went for a 35 minute run/walk. Upped my speed on the run, also.

Sometimes it REALLY hits me that I have a whole new life now! Amazing!

calluna
01-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Two NSVs today. One, my usual pairs of pants were too big. I decided it would be inappropriate to do faculty training, walking around in front of a roomful of people, and have my pants hanging down past my underwear band and quite likely to fall off my body. So I had to find a smaller pair of pants to wear!

So I traveled to a different campus to train folks...not my usual place or routine. My routines are all out of whack, I didn't get to eat until quite late - but I didn't do anything that I'd regret tomorrow morning. No junk food, no overeating, etc.

Hurray for me!

salsa chip
01-16-2010, 08:35 AM
I always used to think that my neck consisted of a whole block of flesh with my spine in the middle.

This is not the case.

Earlier I was sitting prodding myself absentmindedly (you know you do it) when I realised that there were several distinct things in my neck which go in a vague up-down direction, between my head and my shoulders. In between these things there is...well, not very much. As in I can prod it and prod it and my finger almost comes out of the other side of my neck.

Ok, I'm making this sound as though I've been impaling myself with my finger. It's not quite that extreme. But....dude. There's structure in my neck! Who knew?

lovemyboy
01-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Timetoloose: I am grapevine challenged too.

My NSV- someone complimented my weight loss. :). Unfortunately they followed up the comment by telling me I lost too much and need to stop. :dizzy: I am obese!! But less obese than last week. :)

Bellsybells
01-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I went to the gym last night to do my new programme for the first time without an instructor. When I did it the first time with the instructor (on Tuesday) I came over all peculiar and had to take a time out. Last night I wasn't the fat lady on the floor with her head between her knees - I finished the programme without having to stop and it felt GOOD!!!

calluna
01-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Down a pants size! I doubt anyone will notice as there is still plenty of me to occupy the casual gaze, but a size is nonetheless a wonderful thing.

caryesings
01-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Two this week:

I was approached at the Y to be interviewed for the member spotlight due to my weight loss that other members who I don't even know have apparently been commenting on.

We are having a near 60 degree day here after long cold snap which had been preceded by weeks of rain so everyone is out doing yard work. And I'm wearing a tank top! Where people can see me in full sunlight!

cathydoe
01-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Today I FINALLY got to the store to take back some clothes I bought the end of October. I hadn't ever worn them and they were too big. (lucky for me I had 90 days!) So as I was going through the store one of the shirts I had just brought back was on clearance for 60% off (which I think that is what I paid anyway) So I tried on a size smaller. It fit...but there was a size smaller than that...so 2 sizes smaller...I tried that on...hummm it fit...I went to the dressing room to check me out in the mirror. I asked 2 folks that worked there...does this look too tight...they both said no, it fits perfect. Holy buckets...2 sizes smaller! Normally I can't even find something that fits. Hoorray 4 me!

DCHound
01-16-2010, 04:53 PM
The smallest pair of jeans from my basement are now too big!! I'm sitting here wearing them, but if I wear them into work on Monday my younger coworker is going to get on my case for wearing baggy mom jeans again...LOL. When I started this in August 2008 I remember picking up this exact pair of jeans--they were about half the width of my body and I truly couldn't remember ever being able to wear them. They looked so tiny. Now, they just look normal, kinda big even. Perspective is weird stuff. Tommy Hilfiger size 14 average, bought circa 2001.

Lucky Charm
01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I can finally fit into some shirts that are extra-large.. no more 1Xs for me :D

time2lose
01-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I am walking down stairs like a normal person, one foot on a step, put the other foot on the step below and repeat. :)

I had been - put foot on next step, put other foot on same step and repeat. :(

Lucky Charm
01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
I ran today, for the very first time. I realized today that I could reach my goal weight of 120 lbs without the exercise. But there won't be any definition to my body. I won't have a nice toned appearance. I'll look flabby.

I don't enjoy exercise. Well, to be honest, I don't enjoy doing the DVDs or going to classes. I'm more of a solo work-out person. The one thing I did love back when I was a teen was running. I asked myself, why? Why can't I start running NOW instead of losing some weight first and THEN seeing if I can run? That's not a very good excuse. Get on that treadmill and move!

So I ran constantly for ten minutes at 2.5 mph. I realize this is actually fast walking speed for many people. But I'm short, and my strides aren't very long. I hope to one day work up to 4mph and do just that.... 4 miles in an hour.

I can do this. I can actually do this.

CLCSC145
01-23-2010, 12:32 AM
I got my recent blood test results from my doctor in the mail today and the results were great! :carrot: Apparently, not only do I feel healthier I AM healthier!

Liver enzymes:
Before I started: 42, which is elevated, indicating fatty liver
Now: 20! That's totally normal! 40 is the high end of normal, so I'm apparently super-duper normal ;)

Fasting glucose:
Before I started: 110, in the impaired pre-diabetic range
Now: 93! Normal range!

A1c (measures blood sugar levels over time):
Before I started: 6.1, under 6.0 and under qualifies as non-diabetic. I was pre-diabetic
Now: 5.5! Normal!

It's nice to actually see the measurable health benefits of losing weight, not just lower numbers on the scale. Woo hoo!

thistoo
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I did one-armed push-ups the other day. That's crazy talk.

marigrace
01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Wow, thistoo...that IS really crazy...I can do 20 wall push-ups without giving up....so there...bet you can't do that (lllol)

eclipse
01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Pants!

I tried on a pair of pants today that haven't fit me in years. I tried them on a couple of weeks ago, and they wouldn't snap or zip. Today they did! They're still too tight for me to really wear them comfortably, but I bet I'll be able to in a couple of weeks. Size 20 here I come!

BeachBreeze2010
01-26-2010, 02:30 PM
I've had so many this month. I keep waiting for some big moment to post about, but it's really been a lot of litle ones. So, on the month anniversary (or close to it), I reflect on the following:

I have so much more energy. I haven't lost much weight in the great big scheme of it all, so it's not just from weight loss. I think it's from eating better and getting off of the sugar and junk rollercoaster. I have a low thyroid, so energy has always been a constant problem for me. I still have problems with it, but it is dramatically better!

My clothes are all looser. I got my hair cut collar bone length a few weeks ago and people keep telling me how cute my hair is or how good my makeup looks. I think the shorter cut pulls the eye to my face and they are noticing a difference, but can't quite put thier finger on it so are thinking it must be my hair. It makes me smile.

Another big one is that my girls are loving the way we eat. The get excited when we eat together as a family. They ask for squash! LOL!

My husband also is taking better care of himself. He has health problems and I worry about him all the time. To see him wanting to copy me just makes me know I will never give in to junk! I bought cupcakes for my daughter's birthday at school and the cat knocked them over in the middle of the night. The next morning we had to go and buy new ones for her class party. The old ones sat all day in the kitchen smashed in the box waiting for me to get home hungry from work. I called DH and luckily he was home. I asked him to throw them away - outside in the big garbage - before I got home. He thought that was a great idea and immediately did it. Can I say Twilight Zone?!! I love the new attitude!

Another big one is that just living a better lifestyle makes me feel so much more in control of my life. I feel like I am taking care of myself and my girls and that I can make good things happen for us. When I make poor choices, I get really depressed and feel like it's all going to be horrible forever.

There were very few specific moments, but in all it's been an amazing month. I can't wait for more!!

thistoo
01-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Wow, thistoo...that IS really crazy...I can do 20 wall push-ups without giving up....so there...bet you can't do that (lllol)

LOL, it's taken me a loooong time to get to this point! While I was doing them I thought to myself, 'Crikey, one-armed push-ups, this is insane!' And then I fell on my face and nearly broke my wrist. Ha! It was worth it, though.

calluna
01-26-2010, 11:28 PM
We had a team retreat today at work. Written on the agenda were "chocolate and XX activity" first thing in the morning, and "pizza and xx activity" at lunch.

I did not touch the truffles that were on the table ALL DAY LONG. I brought my lunch and a snack (apple with gouda). No junk food, no sweets!

WarMaiden
01-28-2010, 01:20 PM
This is sort of about the scale, but mostly not.

From about April-May 2009 (when I found out my mom has pancreatic cancer and started being pretty intensely involved in helping her figure out her care) to the beginning of January 2010, I mostly did not weigh myself or track my food. I weighed 204 when I left off doing that. I kept eating pretty much the same and getting mostly the same amount of daily activity, though without the exercise.

At the beginning of January I weighed 210, some of which was definitely water weight as I was back down in the range of 205 by 3 weeks ago. And that is where I am now (but waiting for a downward whoosh that I can tell is coming soon).

I successfully maintained while paying almost no attention to what I was doing--simply based on good habits I had established over the prior year. I did not lose any ground, and now that I am ready to focus on calorie-counting and exercise again, I can simply pick up where I left off.

eclipse
01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I took my kids to Chuck E. Cheese today to celebrate my nine(!) year old's birthday. I ordered pizza for them, and did NOT eat anything. I went to the salad bar and made myself a yummy, low calorie salad. I was barely even tempted by the pizza. I did have one piece of birthday cake, but I planned for it and I'm still under my calories for the day!

BeachBreeze2010
01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Something strange happened this morning. Not sure if it's exactly an NSV, but it's definitely a sign that I am getting healthier!

We ran out of diet soda last night and I did not have any for this morning. This has always been a CRISIS for me in the past. I'm not kidding. I needed that soda in the am like a smoker needed thier first cigarette. I had a "pack a day" habit of diet soda - literally. Two in the am getting ready, one before lunch, one during lunch, two in the afternoon, and probably three more in the evening once I got home. (Okay, that's 9 but you get the idea.) I would even exercise with diet soda. (Pathetic, I know.) I buy the generic kind because it's too expensive to drink the name brand with my volume. That should have been a sign, but like so many things, I kept going with it. So, as I have been cleaning out the chemicals from my body this month, I have been craving soda less and less and water more and more. I still couldn't let go of that first soda of the day. Then, it happened this morning - I didn't have any. I drank water - and - drumroll - I was just fine! Imagine that!

I know it's diet soda, so I don't expect to see anything on the scale from cutting it out, but I know the chemicals are really bad for me. I am just so amazed that this happened especially because I wasn't trying. Removing processed foods and chemicals in my food changed my taste palate and made it not taste as good.

This, is a day to mark on the calendar for sure!

beescwee
01-29-2010, 11:18 AM
I joined the gym three weeks ago with my boyfriend - great in itself! On our first visit I could jog for 5 minutes (longer than I thought I could!). When we went a couple of nights ago, I could jog at a higher speed for 10!!! I'm so pleased :)

I've had a really crappy couple of eating days. This has made me feel really proud of myself! Time to get back on track!

ubergirl
01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
When I jumped into week two of C25K, I realized I was ready for it!

I can now do CRUNCHES... for the longest time, I thought my abs had become permanently dysfunctional from too many babies.

My waist is FINALLY SHRINKING!!!

eclipse
01-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Something strange happened this morning. Not sure if it's exactly an NSV, but it's definitely a sign that I am getting healthier!

We ran out of diet soda last night and I did not have any for this morning. This has always been a CRISIS for me in the past. I'm not kidding. I needed that soda in the am like a smoker needed thier first cigarette. I had a "pack a day" habit of diet soda - literally. Two in the am getting ready, one before lunch, one during lunch, two in the afternoon, and probably three more in the evening once I got home. (Okay, that's 9 but you get the idea.) I would even exercise with diet soda. (Pathetic, I know.) I buy the generic kind because it's too expensive to drink the name brand with my volume. That should have been a sign, but like so many things, I kept going with it. So, as I have been cleaning out the chemicals from my body this month, I have been craving soda less and less and water more and more. I still couldn't let go of that first soda of the day. Then, it happened this morning - I didn't have any. I drank water - and - drumroll - I was just fine! Imagine that!

I know it's diet soda, so I don't expect to see anything on the scale from cutting it out, but I know the chemicals are really bad for me. I am just so amazed that this happened especially because I wasn't trying. Removing processed foods and chemicals in my food changed my taste palate and made it not taste as good.

This, is a day to mark on the calendar for sure!

That's great! I used to drink about as many as you did. I still drink 3 or 4 a day, but I'm thrilled to have cut down that much.