South Beach Diet - What's For Dinner, the winter 2010 thread

CyndiM
01-01-2010, 08:14 AM
If history is any indicator we will have lots of new friends joining us this month. I know it helps me to see what others are eating. I always read this thread when I'm stuck.

If you can add the Phase and a link to a recipe if there is one.

I'm having a 1.5 meal - vegetarian chili in the crockpot served over a whole grain, maybe quinoa. There's no set recipe for the chili but it will include red and white beans (I have some that need to be used!) and veggies from my dried stock - zucchini, peppers, and eggplant. I think I'll use some fire roasted tomatoes to round it out.

Tomorrow I'm trying this recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/Butternut-White-Bean-Ginger-Soup-206979

murphmitch
01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
My old stand-by Taco Bake tonight:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/38592-taco-bake-phase-i.html

I always add a bunch of veggies with this and I'm stuffed!

Chelby29
01-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Today is easy -- pork roast, black-eyed peas and cabbage. I'd hate to think of starting the new year any other way. ;)

WaistingTime
01-01-2010, 03:44 PM
new recipe - crockpot beef stroganoff - with asparagus for me and DH but noodles for my teens.

cottagebythesea
01-01-2010, 06:33 PM
We've always had pork & saurkraut for good luck on New Year's Day. A few years ago I made something different, and we had an awful year. We'll never mess with fate again!

So I made pork & sauerkraut with mashed potatoes for Jake, and I made myself braised Swiss chard & black eyed-peas with lots of onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. I had a small serving of sauerkraut, too, for good measure.

Lexxiss
01-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Ok, so I'm on with this good luck thing. We're having locally raised pork, cooked cabbage, saurkraut and blackeyed peas.

jenne1017
01-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Tonight is Taco Bake!

Ruthxxx
01-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Pork tenderloin, spinach, sweet potato "fries" and the rest of the cauliflower roasted. After 70 years, I now like cauliflower. Who knew?

Chelby29
01-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Tonight -- Rotisserie chicken, green beans, and salad.

Ruthxxx
01-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Same as yesterday as I got "distracted" by a friends, champagne and gorgonzola crackers trio!

CyndiM
01-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Tonight it's definitely burgers, either http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-2/116243-vegetarian-garbanzo-burgers.html#post3071003 or http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipe=lentil_walnut_burgers
with roasted broccoli on the side and maybe a cup of curried butternut soup from last night's dinner.

jenne1017
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Lunch is the Spicy Red Lentil Chili (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/soups-stews-phase-1/164063-spicy-red-lentil-stoop.html)(so I can have leftovers at work) and dinner is chicken divan (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/48844-chicken-divan.html).

smith1313
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I have salmon thawing for tomorrow....I think chicken, veggie and salad for dinner tonight. I really would like scallops but I'm not sure how to cook the little critters.

Ruthxxx
01-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Here's a scallop recipe. If you are on Phase I, you could have it with spaghetti squash or over shredded greens.

TwynnB
01-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Tonight is steaks on the grill (I've been havin' a hankerin' for one!), sweet potatoes, collard greens, fresh tomatoes.

Tomorrow night is black bean burritos (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Delicious-Black-Bean-Burritos/Detail.aspx) one of my attempts at a meat free meal!

WaistingTime
01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm trying the site's Hamburger Minestrone soup tonight because it is so cold here! I love this thread because the hardest part of this program for me is planning dinners. I am giving up on trying to please my kids:(

cottagebythesea
01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I made a big pot of kitchen sink vegetable & bean soup. Name a veggie, it's in there. (Except for okra, blech!)

murphmitch
01-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Roast turkey, sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli (stuffing for my family).
I received a turkey from work & I had to cook it so kind of a repeat of Christmas dinner tonight.

jenne1017
01-03-2010, 07:02 PM
my favorite way of making scallops Susan is in the broiler. Preheat and mix a tablespoon of olive oil, some garlic poweder or grated fresh garlic and paprika with the scallops and broil for about 6 mins. Nom, nom, nom! I like them over the smashed cauliflower.

Lexxiss
01-03-2010, 07:16 PM
All the Taco Bake talk has me in the mood...Colorado style and for P2

Pinto beans, brown rice, anaheim chiles smothered in vegetarian green chili baked till bubbly then topped with lettuce. Yum

Chelby29
01-03-2010, 07:43 PM
I made a big pot of kitchen sink vegetable & bean soup. Name a veggie, it's in there. (Except for okra, blech!)

My hubby hates okra, too. I grew some in our garden a few years back. He got tired of seeing it on the table, so he took the lawn mower and mowed my whole row down! How rude! (Although, it was really funny, too.)

ddmbMom
01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I made the Taco Bake tonight for the first time. Yum!
I used cabbage instead of mushrooms because DH doesn't like mushrooms. It felt like I was eating shredded meat of some type. Very good recipe!

Last time I was on SBD I got hooked on 3 recipes: chili (from the book), Big Easy Shrimp (from cookbook), and Pine Nut Chicken (from either book or the cookbook). However, I made them so often over the past few years my family got sick of the recipes. I plan on getting them sick of Taco Bake this time. :)

marigrace
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Dinner was chicken breast sate kabob, swiss chard braised w/a bit of olive oil garlic and a plum tomato, Roasted squash,& low carb flat bread.

smith1313
01-03-2010, 10:57 PM
my favorite way of making scallops Susan is in the broiler. Preheat and mix a tablespoon of olive oil, some garlic poweder or grated fresh garlic and paprika with the scallops and broil for about 6 mins. Nom, nom, nom! I like them over the smashed cauliflower.

thank you....I did break down and buy some today, sounds easy enough.

livelifelove
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I think I'll be making up some salmon w/dill and lemon, garlic zucchini, and salad.

livelifelove
01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
I made the Taco Bake tonight for the first time. Yum!
I used cabbage instead of mushrooms because DH doesn't like mushrooms. It felt like I was eating shredded meat of some type. Very good recipe!

Last time I was on SBD I got hooked on 3 recipes: chili (from the book), Big Easy Shrimp (from cookbook), and Pine Nut Chicken (from either book or the cookbook). However, I made them so often over the past few years my family got sick of the recipes. I plan on getting them sick of Taco Bake this time. :)

I love the chili from the book! I make it at least once a week, and I'm still not tired of it.

CyndiM
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm feeling lazy so it will be a veggie scramble for us - eggs, peppers, spinach, zucchini & shrooms all topped with salsa. Hmmm, maybe I'll make some turnip "home fries" on the side.

Heidi58
01-04-2010, 07:12 PM
I had to decide between my original plan for supper or a quick walk on my snowshoes and the snowshoes won. :lol: So we had Broccoli Cheese Soup (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/soups-stews-phase-1/51890-broccoli-cheese-soup-daily-dish.html). I love how it tastes, but I REALLY love the way it pretty much fixes itself. :D

EmmaD
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Minestrone soup! Sounds a little like the Kitchen Sink veggie & bean soup: has 3 kinds of beans (kidney, white and French green), zucchini, cabbage, carrots, celery, and tomatoes with just one small cubed Yukon Gold potato and no pasta. Served with shaved parmesan cheese and maybe a dollop of pesto.

OMG the Colorado Taco Bake sounds soooooooo good! I love this thread!

Mmckellen
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey all,
I'm new here, just started South Beach today...phase 1. For dinner I fried up some ground beef and "rinsed" it (trick learned from Tightwad Gazette to lower fat content of ground beef), then added a little olive oil and butter to the pan and fried up some onions, garlic, tomatoes and zuccini, added some chick peas and then added the beef and some beef broth. Smells really good, can't wait to try it. Tomorrow is day 2!

KKBs Nicole
01-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Tonight is chicken enchiladas (sans tortillas) from the recipe found in the SB recipe forums, over a bed of romaine. A sorta of enchilada salad. Followed by cherry jello fluff (ie SF black cherry jello mixed with plain ff yogurt).

For lunch we had Hot Dog Salad (also found in the SB recipe forums). I enjoyed it and was pleased to see that my boyfriend enjoyed it as well.

rdw1
01-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Tonight is a low cal soup night! Spicy Sesame Zuchinni Spiral Egg Drop Soup! LOL. Made that up myself- could you tell ;0) oh, and a salad!

WaistingTime
01-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Last night was a new chicken cacciatore recipe. Tonight is the bulgogi on here; it looks like something even my kids would like and the older one (almost 20) agreed after helping me make the marinade. Tomorrow is crock pot chicken fajitas (from here too I think) and Friday is burgers since we are babysitting my 3 young nephews overnight.

Mmckellen
01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
We're having chicken sausage, mashed chick peas, and roasted cauliflower.

KO
01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Turkey smoked sausage and black eyed peas. . .darn it I forgot the collards Maybe some garlic spinach

Shimmy Slim
01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Tonight we had vegetable moussaka (from the supercharged edition) with a huge mound of broccoli sprinkled with chilli flakes and garlic. Very yummy, even if I did forget that it took a while to make. We just appreciated it all the more when we finally sat down :)

cottagebythesea
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I made a marinara sauce with mushrooms & chickpeas, and served it over spaghetti squash with a liberal sprinkle of red pepper flakes and pecorino cheese.

CyndiM
01-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks to Cottage for the meal planning inspiration. Last week's dinners were all planned ahead of time (not the days but the list for the week) and it worked really well. I'm going to do that again this week.

Last night I tried http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-2/116243-vegetarian-garbanzo-burgers.html#post3084487 with sweet potato fries and sauteed cabbage. Tasted like a decadent Friday dinner.

I'm in serious recipe experimenting mode lately so tonight's plan is
squash pie, http://www.elanaspantry.com/squash-pie/, and hippie loaf, http://happyherbivore.com/2009/06/hippie-loaf-gluten-free/, tonight. It's a good day to have the oven on :)

femmecreole
01-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Chicken Florentine soup!!!

Cyndi, thanks so much for posting that Elana's pantry link....talk about inspiration!
Now that I have my new stove, I can play again!!

CyndiM
01-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Cat - I'm loving her recipes. I'm going to make the yellow pea soup for lunched this week.

murphmitch
01-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Chicken breast sauteed in olive oil with onions, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, lots of garlic and served with NSA tomato & basil pasta sauce, sprinkled with grated cheese.

cottagebythesea
01-09-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm trying out a recipe for a Pumpkin & Cannellini Bean soup that my DD gave me. If it's as good as she claims, I'll share the recipe. :)

Lexxiss
01-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Roast chicken, green beans and salad...
SF cocoa later

jenne1017
01-09-2010, 11:45 PM
I wound up having a salad (lettuce, red bell pepper, celery and mushrooms) with 1/2 can of tuna and homemade dressing...nom nom nom

CyndiM
01-10-2010, 07:05 AM
crockpot Italian cannelini bean soup loaded with veggies from the dehydrated stash :), sauteed bok choi

femmecreole
01-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Cyndi, I had coconut left over from making that bad bad coconut cake for New Year's eve birthday party (threw the last of it out yesterday!).
so I tried the coconut macaroon recipe (http://www.elanaspantry.com/coconut-macaroons/)from the Elana's pantry site yesterday. Pretty good! They didn't get hard like I thought they would, but that's ok cause they tasted good. I thought coconut would have more sugar grams in it, but it was only 5 per cup. Good thing, cause I went kind of nuts with them.

cottagebythesea
01-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Dinner's going to be baked tofu with broccoli/cauliflower gratin for me, while the rest of the family has chili and cornbread.

The soup turned out really bland, so I'm not posting the recipe. I ended up having to add a small butternut squash and lots of spices to it to jazz it up enough for me to not be tempted to throw it out. I guess now I'd call it Pumpkin Cannellini Butternut Squash Onion soup. ;)

WaistingTime
01-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Beef kabobs - i love when the veggies cook as part of the meal.

Cottage's post made me wonder if anyone has tried the mock cornbread recipe.

rdw1
01-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Tonight will be brown and wild rice asparagus and mushroom risotto... Probably paired with a salad...

Also hoping to make some quinoa tabouli salad Thanks to Cyndi! :)

DH got me a pressure cooker for Christmas so I could cook beans in it... But I have yet to attempt it... any good ideas or tips for me? Don't forget I am a vegetarian :)

CyndiM
01-10-2010, 04:31 PM
I prep all my beans in the pressure cooker. The only "meal" I've attempted are the refried beans and that's because they are completely simple to make. I hope you share any interesting recipes :)

Speaking of the sprouted quinoa, the lentil sprouts were a big hit. I think we ate most of them just plain as snacks. Now I've got adzuki and mung beans sprouting. It's nice to grow something in the winter :)

femmecreole
01-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Turkey cutlets piccata, sweet potato fries, avocado salad

rdw1
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Cyndi- I was just researching sprouting... How are you doing it? I don't think I have a large mason Jar, so I may have to try the cloth method- also I read somewhere that quinoa has a soapy tasting saponin in seed coat... it says to rinse well- I am assuming that its before I start sprouting? Im new to all this!

CyndiM
01-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Rikki - I used the directions on the same site the recipe is on :) I rinsed a couple of times before soaking. It sprouted quickly even in our cold house.

81togo
01-10-2010, 07:55 PM
We had the taco bake with some asparagus (sp?)... I've been off the plan for a few days and have noticed the difference. I told DH I was suprised how much of a difference it made with my energy. I'm restarting phase 1 tomorrow...

zeffryn
01-10-2010, 07:58 PM
turkey italian sausages with peppers and onions in sugar free marinara, spaghetti squash and a big salad.

jenne1017
01-10-2010, 11:58 PM
We had Ruby Tuesday. I was very good too - mashed cauli and broccoli with a petite steak. I ate almost all of the steak (6 of 7 oz) and half the veggies (more boroccoli than smash). I was soooo good! None of the fried onions on the plate. I pushed it away!! :)

I done good!

rdw1
01-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Dinner tonight was a lot of different veggies from the whole foods bar.... but I do have another reason for posting in here... lol I see my dinner isn't going to give anyone any ideas!

Cyndi- I just made my tabouli, but I decided to half the dressing recpe because it sounds like soo much oil... Did you use the whole 3/4c? I figure I can always add more if it needs it- Ive got it in the fridge to chill now I am hoping its fine without more though!

CyndiM
01-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Rikki - it pays to have a warm house, I think they took 3 days to sprout here (it's a very chilly, leaky old house). I used 1/2c evoo and there was definitely more dressing than we needed. Will definitely use less next time.
My mung bean sprouts are almost ready to eat but my adzuki beans are just sitting there looking wet. Ah well, have to decide what to try next :)

murphmitch
01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Chili with ground turkey, cornbread for the family.

CyndiM
01-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Last night I made a green frittata (blended spinach & basil into the eggs) with zucchini and mushrooms, refried beans on the side.

Tonight it's spaghetti squash with a veggie sauce

ETA - was just reminded that DW won't be home for dinner, it's an Open Mic night. I'll eat leftover bean something or other and make the spaghetti squash tomorrow night instead :)

WaistingTime
01-12-2010, 06:47 AM
zesty black beans with chicken - yum

rdw1
01-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Cyndi- seems half the dressing worked very well, especially after being in the fridge a couple hours the tomatoes added water as well... I think I may squirt a little more lemon juice on it though. Thanks for the recipe! I am really enjoying it!

Dinner tonight will be some kind of layered mexican dish... not sure if I want it hot or cold... probably cold... with refried beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado, black olives, and green onions. will probably eat on romaine leaves

jenne1017
01-12-2010, 08:42 AM
chili with mock cornbread

Lexxiss
01-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Kalyn's breakfast casserole, http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/01/breakfast-casserole-many-wayswho-knew.html,with veggies, turkey sausage, anaheim peppers, black olives and a super satisfying salad. I'm thinking we might crack open a jar of the peaches we canned with agave last summer for an evening snack.

CyndiM
01-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I have a way too full crockpot of curried veggies. I'm making brown rice and black bean burgers on the side.

cottagebythesea
01-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I had planned to make a squash casserole, but it's a dark, gloomy, rainy day and soup sounds so much better.
I'm trying out a recipe for Smoky Split Pea soup that was in this month's issue of Vegetarian Times. It smells great, can't wait til dinnertime!

sophie
01-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Hubby making his specialty chicken curry. I am having it over brown rice.
He is using light coconut milk.
take care
Sophie

rdw1
01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
cottage- I would love to see that recipe!

Tonight I made a large caesar salad and made a gluten free foccacia/flatbread with tomato, garlic, parmesan, and rosemary.

Snack later was kale chips- not sure exactly what I think of them...

cottagebythesea
01-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Rikki, the soup was delicious, and I'll post the recipe in our Phase 2 recipes later. Funny you should mention kale chips. I made them for the first time this weekend, too :) The directions I followed called for seasoning them with salt, though, and I'd omit it next time. It made them way too salty for my liking.

briggsy13
01-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Well tonight we are having chili. BUT Friday night I made this awesome pizza.

I made a homemade ww crust, topped it with pesto, diced up chicken, spinach and mozz cheese. This pizza was wonderful. So full of flavor and all ingredients are SB friendly. Will be making this one again, that's for sure!!

rdw1
01-18-2010, 03:27 PM
I think we lost a few posts in this thread somewhere? I know at least twice I had posted asking Jen how that mock cornbread was?! and I don't see those anywhere, unless maybe it was in a different thread...

Xan
01-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Baked meatballs, sauteed zucchini and a side salad. Not exciting, but a staple for me.

rdw1
01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Tonight will be mexican night- at our house that means I make lots of beans and veggies, fake meat, and toppings and I usually eat it on a bed of salad and dh either makes tacos, burritos or fajitas with it. yum!

Going to try the spaghetti squash pie today for the first time as well! I make spaghetti squash often and love it so I assume it will be fab!

Ruthxxx
01-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I have a small Canadian bacon roast which I will have with spaghetti squash and green beans.

Lexxiss
01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm trying a new recipe which I think would be great with vegetarian substitutions; Kalyn's West African Chicken and Peanut Stew with Chilies, Ginger and Green Onions (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/recipe-for-west-african-chicken-and.html) served over Cauliflower Rice (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/recipe-for-cauliflower-rice-with-fried.html)

ETA-Rikki-I fixed my link. I'll let you know how it turns out.

rdw1
01-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Debbie- please let me know how that turns out veggie style and how you did it, that link wouldn't work for me but I searched her blog after you posted... here is the link (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/recipe-for-west-african-chicken-and.html)if anyone else is curious! Looks so good!

cottagebythesea
01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm having a Morningstar Farms Asian Veggie patty with butternut squash fries tonight.

CyndiM
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm trying the mock cornbread with thick veggie chili, topped with almond cheese

zeffryn
01-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Cyndi - what did you think of the mock cornbread? We had it last night with the original recipe of spicy beef. Not a crumb left after DH had 4 (!!) portions. It was supposed to be my lunch!

Tonight we had salsa baked chicken, oven fried parmesan zucchini (I need to find a different recipe for this, it was just ok) and steamed broccoli. Filling, yet I am still feeling kind of noshy..I think TOM is on its way in.

CyndiM
01-21-2010, 05:40 AM
Zeff - we loved it, same problem with not enough leftovers :) It's definitely a keeper. I'm already thinking of other ways to make it.

rdw1
01-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Im going to have to try that cornbread now!

last night ended up being more of an appetizer instead of dinner...

I stuffed jalapenos with rf cream cheese and topped them with veggie bacon. YUM.

WaistingTime
01-21-2010, 10:13 AM
My be going out in honor of DS2 heading back to college tomorrow and his birthday, which we will miss next month while he's gone. I will be strong!

If not, salmon.

KicknKnit
01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Mom's Green Beans with Beef
(she usually does this with rice.. but we are Phase 1)

1 lb lean beef in chunks sauted with onion and garlic in a large pot.
add 1lb of green beans, two cans of diced tomatoes and simmer. Salt and pepper to taste. We added a little italian seasoning and balsamic vinegar.

CyndiM
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
I need a quickie dinner so I'm making leftover burritos - sauteed spinach, black beans & creole sweet potatoes (those are from our Co-op Deli) with some salsa and almond cheese. I'm eating gluten free right now so using sprouted corn tortillas.

Speaking of the gluten free thing - what do people think about sprouted corn as an ingredient? It's a choice I make and have no problem with but I wonder if the sprouted corn might be acceptable for SBD? It's one of those ingredients that Dr. A didn't anticipate (like agave and a few other oddities) but sprouting the seed really lowers the sugar content and thus the glycemic load. Since whole wheat tortillas often have corn starch I wonder if these would be a good trade off if you could find them?

rdw1
01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Cyndi- I think so ;0) but then again I have been trying to do the gluten thing now for a while and I have just had a tendency to leave out if I eat any corn products because i was afraid I may confuse someone when there were so many newbies around... BUT, I think you're right... the Sprouted grain tortillas I think have been recommended so I wonder about the corn ones- I do have a hard time finding them around here though...

Are you noticing a difference not eating gluten? or when you do have some now can you tell? When I eat a veggie burger or something with it in I can tell a big difference- the bloat is crazy!

Xan
01-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Cyndi, not that I'm in any position to give advice, but I was thinking the same thing that Rikki just said. We're all different. To me, it doesn't make sense to eat wheat/gluten products if they make me sick or cause weight gain, but NOT eat corn because it's not on a list of approved foods, if it doesn't cause bloat or discomfort and does not impede weight loss (or maintenance, in your case). I've wrestled with this for years -- it's one of the reasons I've plan hopped so much. And I finally have come to realize that my goal is to lose weight, not get an A in a particular weight loss program. Years ago, I was always uncomfortably "off plan" doing Weight Watchers because they "forbad" butter but said margarine was just fine. (I have low cholesterol/blood pressure chose butter over the transfats of 20 years ago, and felt as though I would be excommunicated if They found out.) So try the sprouted corn tortillas, and see how they go down :)

briggsy13
01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
we had lasagna with beans instead of noodles. Very yummy and filling and the kids eat it up.

Xan
01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Reheated salmon ("lemon basil salmon," ready to heat from the store) and spinach.

ajowens
01-21-2010, 08:26 PM
I had the p1 waffle mix as pancakes and a ton of veggies for dinner. OMgosh... it was like eating bread. lol.

rdw1
01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
We ended up having progresso mushroom soup beefed up with veggies. I found this stuff for 50 cents- and OMG, its soooo good! Not for everyday but definitely works for a quick meal when I added some extra veggies to it

Xan
01-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I love the Progresso mushroom soup too, Rikki! That's one of my weekend lunches.

Tonight was the last of the meatballs (from the meatball casserole) with sliced/sauteed zucchini.

Lexxiss
01-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I actually came looking for an idea tonight....leftovers...soup.... I pulled a mystery soup out of the freezer and it looks like Split Pea :cp: with salad and whole grain bread.

greyhoundindy
01-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I was working on next weeks menu tonight (Week 1 Phase 2) and I can't wait to try the taco bake!! I love Mexican

femmecreole
01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Shrimp Creole and a salad!

femmecreole
01-23-2010, 06:12 PM
re the corn tortilla thing. I do occasionally eat corn stuff. Not often, but I do. I get some olive corn tortilla chips that I love to eat with eggplant tempande. The SB police haven't come after me yet. I just try to keep it to a small serving.

WaistingTime
01-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Shrimp creole sounds great! We are tying pecan encrusted trout that was on sale at the store this week. I hope it tastes as good as it sounds. I saved it for a night when it would be just me and DH because I know the boys would never like it!

Tomorrow night is leftovers; I am happy to have a night off from all this planning and cooking.

cottagebythesea
01-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Tonight I made a vegetarian version of the Mock Cornbread w/Spicy Beef Casserole. It was really, really good, and a recipe I'll be reaching for often.

Cyndi, IMHO as long as the sprouted corn tortillas aren't causing any problems for you, go ahead and enjoy them. Especially since the sprouted corn has a lower glycemic count.

CyndiM
01-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Another new recipe that will become part of our regular rotation (or would if we had one ;) )
http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2006/10/joy-of-socca.html"]Socca (http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2006/10/joy-of-socca.html)topped with artichoke hearts, black olives & tomatoes, sauteed greens & mashed cauliflower on the side.

Xan
01-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Pork tenderloin (which will be my lunch this week) and brussels sprouts. And butter :) (Actually, what Laurel of "Laurel's Kitchen" called Better Butter: butter and canola oil mixed.)

tammies00
01-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Ham and bean soup tonight.

We also had the lemon cheesecake cups from the dessert phase 1 thread. These felt like cheating. They were good!!! The remainder will go into the freezer.

Tammie

Maryjaneld
01-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I had a tuna burger with green beans - i know, kinda boring but easy and good, and the recipe made two so know i have lunch.

tammies00
01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
baked chicken, green beans and squash

WaistingTime
01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
carnitas and whatever veggie looks best at the store today. SIL's recipe so fingers are crossed it comes out okay when I make it.

Lexxiss
01-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Cannellini beans simmered with Anaheim chiles, and whole wheat cornbread for DH (I haven't made it since starting SBD)

CyndiM
01-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Cannellini beans simmered with Anaheim chiles, and cornbread for DH (I haven't made it since starting SBD)

:drool: I suppose I missed dinner?

murphmitch
01-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Marinated chicken breasts in Italian dressing and baked in oven. Sauteed onion, peppers & baby bella mushrooms in some basil flavored olive oil. Steamed broccoli and baked sweet potato with cinnamon on top. Really, really good! :)

CyndiM
01-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Not sure of the order yet but I'll be trying these recipes this week:
gumbo z'herbes with cajun tempeh bacon (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/02/gumbo-zherbes-with-cajun-tempeh-bacon.html)

Yellow Split-Pea Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Kale (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10/yellow-split-pea-soup-with-sweet.html)

Stormy Black Bean Soup (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10/stormy-black-bean-soup.html)

and these because they amuse me:
Roasted Beet Tofu Burgers (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/09/roasted-beet-tofu-burgers.html)

I'm also going to make either a pan of mock cornbread or bean muffins to go with the soups and finally trying that flax focaccia recipes. I'm deep in new recipe mode lately :)

Heidi58
01-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Cyndi, that Stormy Black Bean Soup looks delicious.... If I can drag myself to the grocery store (or get Fergie to go for me :D) I just may change my supper plans and fix that tonight. Thanks for the link.

tammies00
01-30-2010, 08:57 AM
I agree about the black bean soup. I have all the ingrediants. I think we will have this tomorrow night. Or maybe I will make it today and have for lunch next week. LOL I have tried to make soup for hte last two weekends. Hubby liked them so much I didn't have leftovers for the rest of the week for my lunches.

Tammie

Schmoodle
01-30-2010, 11:21 AM
We're supposed to get snow today. The kids will be at the farm all afternoon and it's COLD out today, so I think I'll put on a crock pot of sloppy Joes, and then use the leftovers for the bean cornbread casserole tomorrow. I've been wanting to try that.

cottagebythesea
01-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I was going to have leftover butternut squash soup, but that's going in the freezer for a lunch later in the week, and I'm going to make that Stormy Black Bean Soup instead. That recipe looks so good and just perfect for this snowy afternoon. I'm going to make some mock cornbread and kale chips to go with it.

I'd better get on the ball and get it started now!

CyndiM
01-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Cottage - your dinner sounds like ours :) I didn't have chilis in adobo but I had adobo seasoned petite diced tomatoes. They were perfect. I also made the "cornbread" in a pan. Thanks for testing that out Jenn! It made a really yummy dinner.

CyndiM
01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
gumbo z'herbes with cajun tempeh bacon (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/02/gumbo-zherbes-with-cajun-tempeh-bacon.html)

Stormy Black Bean Soup (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10/stormy-black-bean-soup.html)

So far I've made these two. The soup is very good and forgiving if you need to make substitutions. I used adobo seasoned diced tomatoes instead of chilies and it was still really good. The greens are very tasty. I halved the recipe and used Trader Joe's greens mix, cabbage and spinach. The tempeh marinade was good but the cooking technique needs work. I'm thinking oven roasting next time. This is definitely my favorite recipe blog right now. Every recipe I've tried has been a keeper.

I also made the flax focaccia. It's good but I don't know if I'd bother if I was eating wheat. It is high calorie and requires strict portion control. On the plus side it has a good amount of protein and fiber. I'd recommend it on gluten free diets and maybe for variety.

murphmitch
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Marinated pork tenderloin, sweet potato, steamed veggies

cottagebythesea
01-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I wasn't in the mood for the leftover Stormy Black Bean soup I'd planned to have. Instead, I broiled a portobello mushroom cap, stuffed it with a wedge of laughing cow, and ran it under the broiler until the cheese melted. Cauliflower & Spinach Gratin on the side made for a satisfying dinner.

Cyndi, that soup recipe is a keeper, although I won't make it as spicy next time. That adobo sauce is hot!

EmmaD
02-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Wow, I've gotten some good recipe ideas for this week from here!

Tonight, however, was very simple. Pan fried tofu with lemon & pepper asparagus and the hugest green salad ever - I was munching on it for almost half an hour before I gave up. Dessert was plain Greek yogurt with 1 oz toasted walnuts and almonds. Yum!

CyndiM
02-01-2010, 05:40 AM
It's Monday so dinner will be simple - a veggie scramble (I make them more veggies than eggs) with garlic toasts made with the flax focaccia bread. If I'm ambitious I'll make home fries with either sweet potatoes or butternut squash since the bread is grain free.

cottagebythesea
02-01-2010, 06:03 AM
I'm having the same supper I had last night, broiled stuffed portobello mushroom and cauliflower & spinach gratin.

Heidi58
02-01-2010, 06:08 AM
We're having the same supper again tonight, too. :) Eggplant casserole and a salad.

EmmaD
02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm making a spaghetti squash casserole (with lf cottage cheese, no sugar added pasta sauce, parmesan cheese, zucchini, red peppers and mushrooms). To go with that, I don't know, probably another ginormous green salad. Steamed broccoli as well.

I put some Mayocoba/canary beans in the slow cooker without any idea of what to do with them... It would be nice to do something Peruvian since the beans are from Peru... I found this recipe for tacu tacu (http://www.theperuguide.com/gastronomy/peruvian_cuisine_recipes/tacu_tacu.html) and I think I'll try it for tomorrow's dinner! I'm not going to season with meat and I'll use brown rice, or maybe my black rice. I think I'll serve with a fried egg and a bunch of stir-fried veggies.

Unrelated to my yellow beans, I found this recipe for Peruvian bean cakes (http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/peruvian-bean-cakes-with-cucumber-radish-salad). Sounds DELISH. But I would use way less oil.

CyndiM
02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Emma - thanks for sharing recipe links. I love new recipes and I love new beans :)

We had Yellow Split Pea Soup with sweet potatoes and kale (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10/yellow-split-pea-soup-with-sweet.html) tonight. It's another hit.

Chelby29
02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Steamed shrimp and the most beautiful salad ever!

murphmitch
02-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Salsa chicken with black beans and RF co-jack cheese on top.

EmmaD
02-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Tonight's dinner was an eggplant stuffed with veggies -- my husband made it -- broccoli and carrots and mushrooms and walnuts and garlic and a little cream cheese. I grilled some marinated tofu for extra protein...

I didn't eat enough today so later I'm planning to have some homemade Greek lentil soup. It is similar to this recipe (http://kopiaste.org/2009/01/fakes-soupa-greek-lentil-soup/) -- except I use way less oil (none in fact), my recipe uses lemon juice instead of vinegar and it was all made in a crockpot without sauteing the veggies. I DID use the potato, just one grated small Yukon Gold, so I think that it's OK for South Beach (not Phase 1 though) since it's spread out over ~6 servings. I add a bunch of chopped fresh spinach just before serving. It's one of my favorite stand-bys :)

cottagebythesea
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Emma, last night's supper sounds delicious! :T What a great husband you have to make a nice supper like that!

Tonight I'm having shirataki, broccoli and yellow peppers in a spicy Thai peanut sauce. One of my favorite meals!

EmmaD
02-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Tonight was leftover spaghetti squash casserole and another gigantic green salad. And my first glass of red wine in a loooong time.

Funny you should say that about my husband! It was sweet. And a bit surprising, as we don't overlap on many foods. He is very meat and potatoes and I am mostly vegetarian (with very few potatoes :)) His eggplant was stuffed with pork and mine had veggies.

I still haven't tried the shirataki noodles! But I have a bag waiting in the fridge... the peanut sauce sounds like a great idea. I was also thinking about Hungry Girl's Fettuccine Hungry Girlfredo (http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=1933#alfredo) if I can find the type of noodles she uses...

cottagebythesea
02-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I made Moroccan Lentil & Chickpea stew from the Wegman's website, but I'm not posting the recipe since I wasn't real thrilled with it.

joycemmn
02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
It is pouring here today and we are lazy and don't feel like doing much for dinner. Probably hummus (store bought but all legit ingredients), with a huge assortment of raw veggies. We'll probably eat it in bed watching a movie while it's pouring. My husband will have crackers with his

CyndiM
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Palak Daal (http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/palak-daal-recipe.html), veggie burgers and the Friday night glass of wine

ETA - I modified the recipe some so it probably wasn't quite as spicy. We had it for dinner and pronounced it good. Good thing because I have 12 lbs of those little lentils ;)

CyndiM
02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Dinner is in the crockpot happily cooking while I am at work :) Tonight it's anasazi beans with veggie chorizo, diced fire roasted tomatoes, and veggies. I suspect I will add dried zucchini and frozen spinach when I get home but didn't want it to get too dry while I was away. This is one of my favorite cold weather meals and the chorizo does most of the heavy lifting when it comes to seasoning. We often have rice with it, might make quinoa instead this time :)

EmmaD
02-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Ooh, I forgot I had veggie chorizo in the freezer! That's a good idea...

Last night was the veggie white chili (after eating some sugary sweets - ACK - at a party!). I'm going to be eating a lot of that in the next few days.

Tonight is some kind of white fish I've never heard of before, grilled - with grilled asparagus, sauteed mushrooms and steamed beets (with their greens). If I really want, I might add this delicious rice (http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_nf_japonica.aspx) I cooked...

michigangirl
02-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Last night we had split pea soup, cooked in the crock, with a variety of raw veggies. I had the cheese crackers(my new favorite snack) while the family had whole wheat crackers. Nice way to go while the winter goes on and on...

CyndiM
02-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Last night we had split pea soup, cooked in the crock, with a variety of raw veggies. I had the cheese crackers(my new favorite snack) while the family had whole wheat crackers. Nice way to go while the winter goes on and on...

I just finished my leftover pea soup. I put a large chopped sweet potato in mine this time. So rich and so yummy :)

Schmoodle
02-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Dinner is in the crockpot happily cooking while I am at work :) Tonight it's anasazi beans with veggie chorizo, diced fire roasted tomatoes, and veggies. I suspect I will add dried zucchini and frozen spinach when I get home but didn't want it to get too dry while I was away. This is one of my favorite cold weather meals and the chorizo does most of the heavy lifting when it comes to seasoning. We often have rice with it, might make quinoa instead this time :)

This is similar to what I made last week, and it was just delish. I've been eating it for lunch all week and not tired of it yet. I had green pigeon peas instead of anasazis and some different veggies.

Tonight, mahi mahi on a bed of sauteed cabbage.

And BTW, that muffin in a minute is great! My bad self wants to go make another.

CyndiM
02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Emma - I'm loving all the recipe links. Thanks!

I was on my own for dinner so had a big bowl of veggie soup and some fake chicken. It was a fridge cleaning dinner :) Tomorrow I'm making Emma's chili (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/crockpot-slow-cooker-phase-2/193533-very-veggie-white-chili.html).

CyndiM
02-11-2010, 07:21 AM
The chili was a big hit in our house. I added some cumin and oregano and some dried, shredded yellow squash toward the end because we wanted it thicker. DW had two bowls and raved about it. We will definitely add this to our winter rotation (we don't have an actual rotation - we have a whatever I see that catches my attention rotation, but I'll remember this one ;) )

CyndiM
02-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Dinner after too much fat while away from home:
cup of Italian lentil soup, sauteed chard, lightly steamed cauliflower & veggie burger

We are still having a dessert though. I made Cottage's mock cinnamon apple cake.

cottagebythesea
02-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Let me know what you think of the coffee cake, Cyndi. I ate mine topped with vanilla yogurt.

Last night I made a curry of sorts with chickpeas and cauliflower, and added some sliced mushrooms and spinach to it. It really turned out good and it made a lot, so I had it for my supper again today. Yum!

CyndiM
02-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Let me know what you think of the coffee cake, Cyndi. I ate mine topped with vanilla yogurt.

It was a big hit. Now I'm on a mission to perfect the temp and time. The outside was a little bit overdone though the inside was perfect. We are also thinking it would be really good as a chocolate dessert ;)

cottagebythesea
02-14-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm glad you like it, Cyndi! When you make a chocolate version, be sure to share the recipe!

3KidsMom
02-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Dinner was tenderloin, half of a sweet potato and a salad.

Schmoodle
02-15-2010, 06:23 PM
cottage and cyndi, wouldn't a chocolate version be the bean brownies?
I'll have to try the coffee cake sometime. Sounds good.

Tonight I served my kids "a montage of unhealthy foods", as DD put it, and made my favorite frittata for me, which they won't touch - spinach, roasted red peppers, and goat cheese, mmmmmmm. I'll have lots of leftovers for breakfast and lunches this week.

cottagebythesea
02-15-2010, 06:45 PM
cottage and cyndi, wouldn't a chocolate version be the bean brownies?

Not quite. There is a bit of a difference. The mock coffeecake has a different texture, at least to me. Your frittata sounds scrumptious! I'll have to remember that one.

I had a Morningstar Farms Mushroom Lover's burger without the bun, on a bed of baby mixed greens, and some butternut squash "fries".

3KidsMom
02-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Red snapper with oven roasted veggies.

getting_smaller
02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Grilled chicken, grilled vegetables, and sauted spinach.

CyndiM
02-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Veggie chili and bean muffins (I think we are addicted ;) )

3KidsMom
02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Veggie chili and bean muffins (I think we are addicted ;) )

Please tell me more about the bean muffins!

CyndiM
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
I found them in the Phase 1 Desserts, http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-1/62552-bean-muffins.html . I just made them savory, same as the mock cornbread.

murphmitch
02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Leftover grilled marinated sirloin, roasted onions, mushroom, grape tomatoes & zucchini with basil and roma tomato infused olive oil.

CyndiM
02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Whole artichokes and veggie burgers

jenne1017
02-16-2010, 07:56 PM
chicken and spinach casserole.

Schmoodle
02-16-2010, 08:37 PM
crockpot chicken and cauliflower.

Cyndi, artichokes have always confused me. I've never tried to do them whole. Don't you have to clean the "choke" before you cook them? Then you scrape the leaves, right, and eat the heart? Seems like a lot of work - is it worth it?

I buy the bag of frozen hearts and use them in recipes, and I like the dip. :D

murphmitch
02-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Peppercorn pork tenderloin, sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli

Lexxiss
02-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Thai Curry Stew with butternut squash/cauliflower/chicken
and 1/2 Ezekial muffin

CyndiM
02-17-2010, 06:28 PM
mushroom kidney burgers and roasted broccoli

murphmitch
02-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Grilled salmon, sweet potato with cinnamon, steamed broccoli

cottagebythesea
02-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Roasted green beans and button mushrooms, and a stick of warm string cheese.

Releve
02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Broiled catfish (might do Blackened Catfish instead), steamed asparagus, steamed cauliflower.

CyndiM
02-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Cyndi, artichokes have always confused me. I've never tried to do them whole. Don't you have to clean the "choke" before you cook them? Then you scrape the leaves, right, and eat the heart? Seems like a lot of work - is it worth it?

Schmoodle - I think it's an Italian thing, at least it was in our house. They're easy to clean, just trim the top and the leaf edges with scissors. We take the choke out when we are eating them. It's easy to recognize it and easy to scrape out when cooked. I steam them in water with a little EVOO, lots of garlic, oregano and a splash of lemon juice before they are done. :drool: We love them

KellyGrrl
02-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm new to this board but reading all these made me soooo hungry.

I just bought some artichokes a couple days ago and haven't attempted to cook them yet. I saw a girl on tv eating them. She was dipping them in something and it just looked so good to me! Any idea what she was dipping it in?

cottagebythesea
02-17-2010, 08:39 PM
I just bought some artichokes a couple days ago and haven't attempted to cook them yet. I saw a girl on tv eating them. She was dipping them in something and it just looked so good to me! Any idea what she was dipping it in?

Probably butter or hollandaise.

Cyndi, after trimming the artichoke, we like to brush them with olive oil, lemon juice and garlic, and roast them on 300* for about 2 hours (depending on the size) in the oven. Talk about good! :drool:

CyndiM
02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Cottage - I'll try that next time.

Kelly - In the long past I used hollandaise. Recently we've used rf dressings but now we usually just eat them as is.My tastes have really changed in the last couple of years.

murphmitch
02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
I just ate the best salmon ever! I bought some frozen wild Alaskan salmon fillets from Walmart, put them thawed in a baking dish, drizzled a tiny bit of EVOO on them and then spread a Tbs. or so of prepared pesto on each one. Then I laid some roasted red peppers over them and baked them about 30 min. They were fantastic! :hungry:

TallGirl
02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Now I definitely need to get salmon this week. I love salmon!

Tonight was leftover stuffed peppers and baked eggplant slices.

Tomorrow will be a SB friendly chicken parm recipe I found and roasted brussel sprouts.

CyndiM
02-21-2010, 05:13 PM
We are having crockpot baked beans, sauteed kale, Murph's salmon for me and a veggie burger for DW

murphmitch
02-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Murph's salmon for me and a veggie burger for DW

Hope you like it! :drool:

We're having marinated chicken breasts on the grill, steamed broccoli & cauliflower, spinach salad, maybe some roasted grape tomatoes.

EmmaD
02-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Great minds think alike? Tonight was salmon. Pan-grilled, with roasted asparagus, baked mushroom caps and sliced tomato salad. Finally a meal I can feel proud of -- haven't been doing so great the last few nights :o

And the best part? My husband cooked it all on his own! I think all my talk of healthy eating is wearing off on him...

zeffryn
02-21-2010, 11:45 PM
blue cheese burgers. extra lean ground sirloin mixed with salt, pepper, grated onion and grill seasoning. I put 1/2 oz. of blue cheese in the middle of each patty. We had them on sprouted grain buns with lettuce, tomato and red onion. VERY good and a much, much lower calorie alternative to our favorite burger joint. I served roasted broccoli on the side.