General Diet Plans and Questions - Starting FS on Jan 2. Anyone want to join?

jiggles77
12-31-2009, 12:10 AM
hi everybody,
i'm planning on starting a new years fat smash to once and for all lose the excess weight i've put on. i decided to start on jan 2. (i figure jan 1 i'll be super hungover and don't want to set myself up for failure...)
anyone want to join?:carrot:

My3angels
12-31-2009, 06:26 PM
I started today, but we could still help each other along the way!

LynnWood
12-31-2009, 10:53 PM
I'll start it with you on that day. XD

I've been wanting to start a diet, I've just been looking for the right one. I'd like to see if this one works.

NCSmasher
01-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm restarting tomorrow too!

jiggles77
01-02-2010, 03:37 AM
hi everybody! so glad you all wrote!
My3angels-how's it going so far?
everyone else-good luck!
so, looking through my cupboards today and realizing i didn't have enough stuff to start properly (and evrything being closed for new years), i've decided to start monday, the same day i start back at school. so, feel free to start with me then, or if you start tomorrow please keep in touch and let me know how it goes! i'm so excited for this year and my big lifestyle change.

good luck everyone and happy new year!!!

LynnWood
01-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Here's my update:

I AM ABOUT TO START STABBING INNOCENT PEOPLE. OR CHEW MY OWN ARM OFF.

And this is just the first day. XD

I'm assuming it's because I'm consuming way less fat and less calories than what my body is used to, so now my body keeps telling me it's hungry.

Other than that I'm doing pretty good, can't wait til after phase 1 and see how much I've lost.

maryblu
01-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Hang in there, Lynnwood..lol

That chewing your own arm off thang.. not good!

Just keep in mind you can chew all fruits and vegetables..apples, oranges...chick peas..aka garbanzo beans..have you ever roasted a can? Just rinse really well, spread on a cookie sheet..spray with Pam or an EVOO mister, which is what I use..and season with garlic powder..red pepper..whatever you can come up with..roast at 375 for as long as it takes to get crispy..shake a few times during baking..you can have unsalted, unbutter popcorn, too..hang in there ..the oatmeal and brown rice is really filling.....take advantage of ALL you CAN have..

My3angels
01-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey Jiggles! So far so good. We did have a delayed Christmas at my husband's brothers house so I did stray a little, but tomorrow is a new day and I will be back on!

PurdueGirl98
01-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Ill be starting tomorrow Jan 4th so Im 2 days behind you!

life4evr
01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Okay i am restarting tomorrow January 4th.

jiggles77
01-04-2010, 01:44 AM
hey evereybody!
i'm getting excited (and nervous) for my big start tomorrow...how's everyone doing?
LynnWood-things getting any easier? i know the feeling...for me the lack of sugar, fat and calories gives me that terrible feeling for a few days no matter how much i'm eating...uggh. hope it's gotten a little easier by now!

maryblu-the roasted chickpeas sound amazing! i'll be trying those this week for sure.

My3angels-it's hard not to stray a little with holiday stuff going on...how did today go?

PurdueGirl98 & life4evr- i'm starting tomorrow too. good luck and let me know how it goes!!

ilunikavi
01-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm late in replying, but I started on January second. So far so good, although I'll admit this is a huge change for me and I am really craving carbs.
Getting to the gym tonight, hopefully that will help motivate me.

I hope everyone's doing well!

LynnWood
01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Still going strong!

I can feel my body adjusting to the diet, but it's still telling me it's hungry all the time no matter how many carrots and bananas I munch on for the between meal snacks. Slowly but surely though, I'm sure it will start to be satisfied with the food I'm eating now. XD

But my stomach is still angry with me.

Me: "No, we can't have that, we have to eat fruits and veggies."

Stomach: "I DESPISE YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR."

Me: -_-

lifer
01-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm starting with all of you. I've done this in the past and have had great success only to go back to old eating habbits and gain the weight back. I will so though that once the weight was loss it took some doing to gain the weight back - meaning I threw everything I knew overboard and let the weight slowly creep back on. But it did take a while to gain it all back - not like other approaches to eating where once you stop eating that way it all comes flying back on. This tells me that this a great plan and worth the effort to get my eating habbits back on track!!!

So it's January 4th and I've had a good day so far. The hardest time for me has always been once I get home from work and have to make dinner for the family. AND try to stay away from the snacks!!! Phase 1 is so restrictive on what I can make for everyone to eat that I have to cook seperate meals for me and the family; which is always challenging.

For those that are new to FS - be sure to check out the thread that has all the questions that Dr. Ian answered for one of the posters. It's at the top of all the threads. It is super helpful. Also - my favorite thing to do is add some all natural salsa to my brown rice and I've got some great tasting, easy and satisfying Mexican Rice. After Phase 1 you can add chicken or steak to it and it's YUMMY!!

Good luck everyone!!

maryblu
01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
It feels so good to have some momentum going..smashing! Glad to see us all here.

Let's just all keep in mind, we don't have to be hungry. If carrots and bananas aren't doin' it for us, there is always a baked sweet potato..very filling. We can have peas..frozen, no sodium, very filling. Yes, both these veggies are higher in carbs, but they are part of FS (even phase I) and if we are staying within the other boundaries, completely OK to do.

You can take 1/3 c. of smashed, baked sweet potato, 2 egg whites, some blended up pulverized oatmeal (1/4 c. or so..I guess) a tbs. olive oil (is it allowed? dunno, don't care, I use it) throw in a little milk to make the consistency of pancake batter..not too runny..and make yourself a sweet potato pancake. Top with some plain yogurt..some cinnamon..yum..FS phase I ..OK..and very, very filling.

YumYum 8itall
01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
"I think I can...I think I can..."
Hello all, I am starting tomorrow. The fridge is veggie stocked, the rice is cooked and the oatmeal is ready to go.
I have done phase one before. Yup, it can be a tough one, but you do feel quite amazing after you do it...and then you get the reward of adding the yummies back in as you achieve!! There are some amazing things you can do with the limited list of foods - surprise yourself! Think outside of the box! Google recipes, they are out there (3FC's having the best available). Just keep your eye on the prize and maybe only focus on the length of the stage you're in for now - you know...day by day!:carrot:

jiggles77
01-05-2010, 01:36 AM
ok. end of day one. wanted to write a better post but i'm smack in the middle of wanted to chew my arm off phase....it's not hunger exactly...i'm actually full...it's just my body trying to tell me this isn't good....usually by day 3 i feel great so i know this will pass.....argh!

PurdueGirl98
01-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Day 2 and Im feeling great this morning, had oatmeal and applesauce. I had the usual "detox" headache yesterday and I felt like crap but I feel much better today and Im ready to go, vegetarian chili will be for lunch, yummy!

ilunikavi
01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Day 4 for me, and I'm feeling good about things so far. Very tempted to step on the scale.

One of my favourite things about this so far is that it challenges me to think creatively about cooking healthy meals. I can't rely on breads, pasta, etc. so if I want something tasty I really have to put the effort in. So far I've made a great veggi chili, and last night I made curry chickpeas and spinach (basically just grill onions and garlic in olive oil, add tomatoes and chickpeas and chopped baby spinach and simmer for 30 minutes, then serve over brown rice) - so good!

Another life saver for me has been keeping full on fruit throughout the day, and making use of the egg whites to get me going in the morning. Oh, and I've been drinking a gallon of water a day to help fill in the cracks. :)

My biggest complaint so far is that I've been feeling a little off, not exactly exhausted, but not quite energized, either - it's a strange mix of both that seems to keep me from being as focused as I normally am. I'm hoping it's just my body adjusting to the sudden influx of nutrients!

Keep it up everyone! :)

life4evr
01-05-2010, 12:19 PM
This is day 2 for me and my body is not happy. I am not really hungry, wasn't really hungry yesterday. But my body wants a candy bar so bad. Off to run errands then the gym.

life4evr
01-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I survived the gym. My legs are not happy, it has been about a month and a half of not working out. Man I thought I was going to starve by the time I left the gym. Which I kind of figured so I had a banana and an extra bottle of water in the car.

jiggles77
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
ok, so i'm having kind of a dilemma. once i'm on a plan i never.mess. up. it's like opening up floodgates...once i've messed up i find it impossible to go back on....i'll diet and lose a few pounds...then have a little screw up, get so depressed i go off plan altogether, and gain all the weight back.
so, this is day 2, and i'm actually feeling great. problem is, i made a pizza party plan weeks ago with a friend who doesn't live here and who is going back home tomorrow. i can't back out. i stressed about it all day and this is what i came up with...o stayed on plan all day until now. i worked out harder than usual.i will eat some pizza. i will not go overboard. i will work out extra hard tomorrow and be back on plan with no more exceptions. i will tack on an extra day to phase 1....
but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't feeling really bad about myself right now...

life4evr
01-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Jiggles77,

Try not to beat yourself up about it. I say don't go overboard and just do an extra day of phase 1. But don't beat yourself up about it.

lifer
01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
I second that. I know you're supposed to pick a time when you have 9 days to devote to detox - but it just isn't possible sometimes. Make smart choices with the pizza like thin crust and vegetarian - limit what you eat and you'll be fine. Good Luck!!

PurdueGirl98
01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Day 3 and feeling a bit sluggish, funny how Im more tired now than when I eat the junk!

lifer
01-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Day 3 and the cravings are starting to kick in. I didn't have the headaches or tiredness that I've had when I've done it in the past but boy am I craving the junk today!! I want something salty or some sugar baaaaaad!! Just have to get through today without hitting the snack cabinet when I get home from work!!

jiggles77
01-06-2010, 03:14 PM
thanks for the support you guys. here's the update: i ate two slices of pizza and one breadstick. i avoided the beer...and the cookies. i started day one again today and weighed myself...and luckily didn't gain any. it's amazing though, after eating the pizza i feel so much worse (physically) than yesterday (before pizza eating). just sluggish and tired and stuff. BUT i'm pushing myself now to do an extra big workout to make up for yesterday.
how's everyone doing today?

life4evr
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh, you didn't do too bad. I am okay today. Not really hungry, I don't think I was eating enough of protein, so I had beens for dinner. I managed to make it to the gym again today. Just tired and sluggish.

LynnWood
01-06-2010, 10:14 PM
It's the end of Day 5 for me right now, and I'm still getting the munchies really badly. But I'm proud to say that I haven't cheated once! I've stuck with the schedule, and hopefully by the end of Phase 1 my stomach will have gotten a little more used to my new eating habits.

Also, I was wondering, would sushi be considered bad for phase 1? Or should I wait for Phase 2?

cheftrish
01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Can I join?? I have been on Extreme Fat Smash for 4 days (today is day 4) and have been busting my ***, although I have not gone on the scale I feel as though I have gained weight. I have not given up coffee....just switched to 1/2 1/2 decaf-caf...

PurdueGirl98
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Day 4 is going pretty good so far, 15 bean soup and salad for lunch....Im tempted to weigh myself, I probably will tonight I cant help it!

jiggles77
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
ok, day 2 of my newly restarted plan and so far, so good. no more cheating.

LynnWood-good job so far, that's awesome! as for sushi, i think it depends what you're eating...i'm pretty sure we can't have fish until phase 2 but i don't have the book in front of me. there's also quite a bit of sugar in sushi rice. i would keep actual rolls and sashimi until phase 2, but you could eat things like miso soup, edamame, seaweed salad...etc. but to be honest, i'm not really sure. what does everyone else think?

Scatterheart
01-08-2010, 10:08 AM
It's day 7 of Phase 1 for me, but I don't feel I've lost weight. I think I'm going to go for 12 days instead.

Has anyone else noticed that the Fat Smash thread is about to close?

cheftrish
01-08-2010, 02:57 PM
:carrot:Day five for me. I did okay considering I was working last night. Had an after shift glass of wine...okay 2:devil: (so that is my limit for the rest of the week. and then some peanut butter when I got home. But hey, I didn't eat the beef wellington, the fish taco's or chips...it's hard being a chef at a bistro! So today I am on day five.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I would not eat sushi, lots of salt etc. not to mention white rice which is empty of fiber so lots of empty carbs. Sashimi should be okay. Just wondering, can i make these ingredients into a recipe? plain old beans is plain old boring!
still afraid to get on the scale. I am afraid I have gained (is that possible??).:?:

jiggles77
01-08-2010, 09:11 PM
cheftrish-if your metabloism is as slow as mine, then yeah it's possible. it's why i often give up with dieting and exercising...i diet and exercise my *** off, everyone doing the same thing is losing and i don't budge...or gain...not this year though, this year i stick with it til the scale moves!!
if it's any consolation, the last time i did fs i was SURE i had gained weight and judging from my history wouldn't have been far off...but i lost 3.5 lbs! which is a lot for me in the span of 9 days.

i'm on day 3 (though it feels like day 5 since it was my pizza indescretion that put me here) not doing too badly. feel like i need to amp up the exercise and lower the serving sizes a little to see some results...

jiggles77
01-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Scatterheart- where did you see that the fs thread is going to close??? :(

beautiful9800
01-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Jiggles77- I also saw that the FS thread was going to close. I think it was posted on the introduction thread. My metabolism is slow too, but it is day 5 for me and I have lost 3 pounds already!!

life4evr
01-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I thought they were just going to move it. I am not sure though.

Well I am on day 5, and I had a minor cheat, I had some meat. I think it was turkey, not sure. Other than that everything was fine. So I am just going to keep it moving.

jiggles77
01-09-2010, 01:17 AM
beautiful-congrats!that's awesome! that is what i love about fs...even if i don't feel like i'm losing i usually am..and last time it seriously took me over a month of eating everything in sight before putting the pounds back on. which is rare for me.

PurdueGirl98
01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Day 6 and doing great, 4 pound loss so far, although exercise would probably add more, Ill work on that this weekend!

beautiful9800
01-09-2010, 12:29 PM
The FS forum IS closing. It is the 4th thread on the FS main page posted by Suzanne3FC. That really sucks!! Anyway, I got a job offer the other day and went out last night with the hubby to celebrate. I finally had my Ahi Tuna and roasted sweet potatoes. It wasn't a big cheat, but I did gain 1 pound back. I really miss fish and chicken!!!

bonniejean61
01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I just regestered today. Great support group. I started fs in phase two. lost five pounds feel great.

cheftrish
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
If FS forum is closing what does that mean for this thread?
Thanks Jiggles for the encouragement. Had more peanut butter last night (teddy) that seems to be my downfall, eating late at night. I think for me it is all about changing bad habits, and wrong thinking ie. a mean little voice inside saying it doesn't matter, just one spoonful... so I need to not listen to it.

LynnWood
01-10-2010, 07:53 PM
It's the end of Phase 1 for me right now, and I've lost five pounds!!!

I'm so happy!

Even though I can't even see it on my body, I do feel better.

Starting Phase 2 tomorrow.

nmacski
01-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Hello Everyone... I just started the Fat Smash Diet on January 7th... I did this 2 years ago and it worked great, but obviously I did something wrong because I am back on it again... I have not wanted other food at all, I have been making the recipes that I found on this site and they are awesome... I look forward to dropping weight with all of you... I hope everyone is doing well so far...

PurdueGirl98
01-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Day 7 for me and Im feeling GREAT! Cravings are gone and I plan to extend phase one until I lose 15 pounds or until February whichever comes first!

Wonderball
01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Hello all! I'll be starting the Fat Smash diet tomorrow. I'm excited, but afraid I'll eat something I shouldn't. I have a question about the exercise. Would it be okay to do 3 1hr sessions instead of 5 30 minute sessions?

SandyJas
01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi everyone!
I started Extreme Fat Smash on Sunday, then went out to dinner last night and had regular dinner. Not too sure how to handle going out to eat! I bought both books. The Extreme Fat Smash only lets you eat 4 times a day. I'm thinking that if I am going to eat such few calories, that I want 6 meals, so I am going to go back to regular Fat Smash.

The exercising is good, and today my meals were great! I made the brown rice in advance, and loaded my fridge with fresh veggies.
Sandy

life4evr
01-13-2010, 10:25 PM
I lost about 9 lbs I think. I was sleepy when I weighed myself. Today was a horrible day of eating. But I tried the biggest loser weight loss dvd, it was interesting.

SandyJas
01-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Liferevr, was the workout hard? I thought about getting the DVD.

PurdueGirl98
01-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Day 10 today, I weighed in with an 8 pound loss in 9 days, not bad!! Its worth it to not cheat!

life4evr
01-14-2010, 07:46 PM
SandyJas,

Too me it was harder than I thought it was going to be. I had to make adjustments to a couple of the poses, but other than that it was okay. i woke up a little sore but other than that I feel fine. I really want to take a class but my gym has the classes during the day :(.

SandyJas
01-15-2010, 04:53 AM
I took a sneak peek at the scale even though it is only Day 4. So far I am down almost 5 pounds !

jiggles77
01-16-2010, 01:58 AM
hey everyone, sorry i haven't written in a while, things have been a little crazy....did sneak a peak at the scale...and i lost 2 lbs. not what i hoped, but for me and my snail like metabolism, it's actually pretty good....everyone still holding strong?

raeannmae
01-16-2010, 02:48 AM
I want to go ahead and try this diet, but I've never heard of it before. I think I'll go to the library tomorrow and see if I can find a copy to pick up and read. Does anyone else even use the library anymore?

Maybe I'll walk down there, it'll be good exercise. And a great excuse to get out of the pizza filled house tomorrow. My little sister is turning 10 and we're expecting quite the turn out. :)

If anyone hasn't started yet and is looking for a buddy to start sometime soon let me know!

maryblu
01-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Just a thought, rae, if you are thinking of following the original Fat Smash diet.

From what I understand the book is confusing; it has downright contradictions in it. You might gather that if you read all the sticky posts on this thread. What I did when I followed the diet was just to read the book review on 3FC. They really explained the diet very simply. It laid out the basics and I did not over think it at all.

For Phase I:

All fruits and vegetables except avocados and potatoes--fresh, frozen, canned. This includes corn, beans, peas, and sweet potatoes.

In addition, you may have up to 4 egg whites per day,
2 8-oz. glasses of skim milk,
2 6-oz. servings of fat free, sugar free yogurt,
1 cup of oatmeal, and
2 cups of brown rice.

I allowed myself some olive oil, not sure if the diet allows it or not, but if you are following this plan, a tablespoon or even 2 of olive oil is not going to hurt. I also used some salsa, again, not sure if "allowed", but I used some..it is so low fat, and you can find or make low sugar ones. I also added a few walnuts or almonds to my salads..Allowed? Dunno, didn't care. A few won't hurt..some healthy fat when you aren't taking in any bad fats..who cares? I really was careful about salt and sugar, but I did NOT give up coffee; I mean, c'mon! I did NOT use a lotta fake stuff, like Morningstar farms "burgers" and such. some is fine, but that is not the point of the diet. The point is to eat real food..fruits and veggies.

Beans of all kinds are allowed, so chick peas roasted with some great Trader Joe's spices is a great way to get fiber, protein, and full! The key is to get most of your calories from fruits and vegetables. It is such a healthy diet, if one added some fish at some point, it would just be such a great way to eat.

I felt great on it..have gone back to eating mostly that way..

Good luck!

life4evr
01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
How is everyone doing? I fell off the wagon the second day into phase ii. I really just don't know what to do. Can you tell I am tired?

Red Diablo
01-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm doing the 4 day diet also by Dr Ian Smith. I've lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks. Not the same huge results as the FS, but I'm very happy with it. I don't think its as strict at the FS (especially since I take a break on the weekends and just gym it up and eat carefully) but it provides variety and keeps you full 95% of the day! I never thought brown rice and beans would do the job haha
If you are having a hard time with the FS, maybe give this one a whirl? Everyone is different, and so you have to find the one that works for you.