Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #1  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Default How much is too much?

I just finished 80 minutes on the elliptical this morning and normally that's more than I do - about an hour a day I try to get in give or take 15 minutes when my little guy is napping.
Anyway, Im noticing that since I've ingrained it in my head to eat more rather than less durring the day and eating the right things, I have a lot more energy.

So how much exercise is too much? I could probably go for another 30 - 45 minutes right now, but I don't know if that's over doing it.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't know if there is a set number (unless you are doing 8 hours a day or something) but your body will give you cues- are you so exhausted during the workout you can't go after a few minutes? Then maybe you should stop. Are you feeling pain anywhere? Then maybe you should stop, etc.

I mean if you normally don't exercise a lot but today you feel really motivated to do more- then why not? As long as you don't injure yourself it's fine IMO.

Pain, fatigue, and other body issues will let you know if you are doing too much.

Also make sure you are drinking enough water and stretching to help minimize injury

OH and ETA if you do start exercising a lot more make sure to take a day of rest now and then

Last edited by beerab; 12-30-2009 at 04:58 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

There is such a thing as overexercising, so just be mindful of that and as beerab said, you will have cues from your body. There are people out there who are exercise addicts and that can be harmful. However, if you feel great and you feel you can do more, then I don't see the harm in that at all. By the way, what vitamins do you take? I could use that kind of exercise!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

My cousin is a dedicated runner (since high school; she's 24 now) and she runs outside almost every day for like 2 hours... she's training for the Boston Marathon (her brother has run it 2 years now). And she seems okay. So I think it's fine as long as you're properly hydrated and giving your body enough fuel.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #5  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

That's the funny part, Im not sore, tired, stressed or even strained . . . . felt great after so I figured I'd keep on going.
Only made it another 15 minutes before nap time was over, but its amazing how far I've come in a month. From struggling threw 20 minutes to doing over an hour intervals.

Luckymommy - I don't actually take vitamins. The last time I did was when I was pregnant and nursing. I've always been a raw fruit/veg eater so I just don't take them, never had a problem with it
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #6  
Wonderwitch121

S/C/G: 268

Height: 5'5"

I cannot wait to get back to my elliptical trainer! I own it and it has been sitting since the move and the fact that my room is always the last to get organized. That is changing this weekend.
wonderwitch121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #7  
In it to win it.

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 67"

I would increase the intensity rather than going longer. Make it so you're DONE after an hour or whatever you do.
alicat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Coondocks -- on your success with exercising and wanting to do more... I agree with the rest of the gals that if you overtrain your body will give you signs of fatigue and injury... Maybe for some variety you could do some body weight exercises, some bands and weights are very practical items to workout at home. There are some great DVD too! Variety is the spice of life!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote