Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'6

Default Help me get through this day

I seriously feel like there is something very very wrong with me. I feel like a drug addict. I am starving. I am crabby. I am going through serious withdrawls. So far today I've eaten-

2 hard boiled eggs
12 oz of tomato juice
3 large glasses of water
1.5 cups of butternut squash and black bean chili
2 small pieces of fudge (I had to and they were only 70 cals total)
1/8 of a bagel with cream cheese (leftover from dh)

Total calories today so far is 509. My goal is to stay between 1390 and 1740, according to Sparkpeople.

It's now 11:27 am, so I still need to eat at least one meal and in all likelihood a few snacks. I feel like my caloric intake so far has been just right, but I'm miserable.

I feel like a lunatic. All I can think about is eating. I want to cry. Why does this happen? I'm only on day 2 of this diet. Shouldn't this be easier?

What do you do when you feel this way?
KathyinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

No, it's not easier by any means. Not at all. You are going through what I consider the most difficult part. I admire your determination to stick to it! Have you tried chewing gum? Drinking hot tea? That can help calm you. How about taking a walk? Keeping track of your calories is a great idea, in my opinion! Right now, visualize yourself shrinking your stomach. It will get easier but it will take some time. Just hang in there! You can do this! I've been there, so I can tell you that it IS possible. You just have to decide that you will NOT give in! You won't! Put yourself in charge of your mind and your stomach.

I like that you had all that healthy protein to start the day. You're off to a great start!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #3  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Find something else to do with your time. Keep busy. THink of something besides food. Quit watching TV, the commercials will make you think food. Take up knitting. It can be self taught with a book. Focus on other things rather than food. Eat protein if you are going to eat. They fill you up and are less damaging. Exercise, take a walk, call a friend, surf the net, read a book, volunteer some place, go to the library, journal, PLAN your meals and snacks then stick to them so you don't over eat or eat unnecessarily.

Hope this helps.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

This is the hardest part. It gets much easier though I promise. Today I would try to find something to do with your free time. Clean(out) something, or research soemthing interesting on the net. You can do this!
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'6

Thanks so much for the support. I am having a cup of coffee with sugar free creamer/sweetener. I know it's not good for me, but it's better than doing what I could be doing. Off to work on a project and feed the kiddos some lunch!

I quit smoking years ago. If I could do that, surely I can give up junk food, right?
KathyinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyinAL View Post
2 hard boiled eggs
12 oz of tomato juice
3 large glasses of water
1.5 cups of butternut squash and black bean chili
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyinAL View Post
2 small pieces of fudge (I had to and they were only 70 cals total)
1/8 of a bagel with cream cheese (leftover from dh)
I think the first foods are great.

The second set, it depends. Some people find that having a couple bites of some things keeps them on track, keeps them from going crazy. Other people find that those few bites just taunt them and keep the cravings alive.

You just have to figure out what is true for you.

And no, it's not supposed to be easy! But ... it gets better. You're changing habits, and when you do that, the habits fight back. But once you get through that phase, it's much easier!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe try to stick with the other side of that range if you are feeling ravenous today

How about some peanut butter with celery? A protein snack that should keep your hunger at bay for a bit

Or since it's so close to lunch why not just have lunch? (I eat my lunch at noon so for me 11:30 is close to lunch).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

The coffee is fine....you need to get through this time. I agree with what JulieJ08 said. The treats can help some, but make it harder for others. In my first few months, I didn't touch anything with refined sugar and now, I can handle a little bit of portion controlled sweets. Something that helps me sometimes is the low cal Swiss Miss hot cocoa, which is only 30 calories (I think) per serving if you just add hot water. The main thing that helped me is to quit drinking diet soda. Diet soda (studies show) actually stimulate the body's craving for sweets. I eventually found a soda called Zevia which is found at the health food store here and it has zero calories but is sweetened with Stevia (plant). I try not to have it too often either, but it's good to have it instead of regular diet soda which really messes with my cravings.

You are doing SO amazing! This is truly the toughest part. Come check out the Chicks In Control forum on this board. I do a good deal of hanging out there because I'm a food addict as well. It DOES GET BETTER. I still have those challenging times, especially at night, but those times are getting more and more controlled.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #9  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Im right there with you!! Im only on my second week and I feel like I obsess over what I'm eating to make sure its staying under the limit. I am finding that by including more fruit and stuff that I dont feel as guilty eating it then say I handful of chips. I think its just going to take time to get used to it just like anything new.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Like the others said, you are going through the hardest part. It will get easier! If you are like me, and it sounds like you may be, you have to break get sugar out of your system for a few days before you will feel better. I had terrible cravings for sugar and high carbs. It took me a couple of weeks to start feeling better.

Hang in there! It is hard but is so worth it! You can do this!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

The first few days are the most difficult. If you keep pressing on, you'll see how much easier it gets. You'll feel so happy that you didn't give up!

We're all here cheering for you! You CAN do this. That stupid food is NOT stronger than you are. Beat it!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #12  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Hang in there and be sure to get enough protein and fat. It gets better!!!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I agree with what most of the others have said.. it WILL get easier. The first few days (maybe even the first week?) were really, really hard for me. But stay strong, and you WILL push through.

And good for you for coming here instead of going to food... you're already showing yourself how strong you are and how badly you really want this
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I keep hearing the first few days are the hardest, and that' true. But it was still hard for about 3 weeks. After about 3 weeks, I have felt completely normal and now I just have to remind myself to take smaller portions. I'm no longer starving most of the times. I have my moments, but I think that's completely normal. Stick to it, It does get easier!

And get lots of sleep. You're lowering your energy, your fuel. It may make you tired and you can't eat while you're sleeping. That worked for me and my husband was very understanding those first few weeks.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote