South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #1  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Default To weigh or not to weigh?

I have not posted on 3FC for a while, due to yet another backslide. I have realized that I am wasting my life, waiting for the day when the weight will magically *poof* be gone. Since that ain't happening, I need to get off my bum and get it done. I lost 50 lbs on SBD about 5 years ago, but have not made a true attempt at it since, but I am here to give it another shot.

I am planning on start phase I on New Years Day, (cliche, I know). In the meantime I am cleaning out the junk, stocking up on plan foods, making meal plans, cooking and freezing stuff, etc.

My question for all of you...should I weigh only at the beginning and end of phase I, or every day. Normally when dieting I weight every day, sometimes 2-3 times per day, which leads to obsession and turmoil. I am considering weighing in NYD in the am, then having my hubby hide the scale for 2 weeks, LOL! How often did you all weigh in phase I, and beyond?
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #2  
Be happy.

I've weighed myself every morning since October 3rd when I started SBD again. For me it's become a healthy habit, nothing more and nothing less.
Although I'm always thrilled when I weigh less than I did the day before my day isn't ruined if I'm up a little bit or "STILL" at the same weight.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

You have to find what works for you. I weigh every day now but I know my weight fluctuates a lot (3+ lbs some days) so I don't take it too seriously. I just watch trends. When I was losing I had a weekly weigh in day that I logged. Some people only weigh at the gym and don't even own a scale. Sounds like you might want to try a weekly or even every other week weigh in for awhile and reassess after 6 months, just for your own peace of mind.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

HelloNurse

Sometimes I weigh every day, and at other times will go quite some time without going on the scale. The weight on my ticker comes from a professional scale at my club.

I agree with Heidi that it's a healthy habit, and as Cyndi said it's important to find what works for you. I, too, have major fluxuations on the scale so I watch my trend and record my lowest weight. One of the most distressing things to me is when folks get really down because they gained xx pounds in a day....to me it's not a realistic assessment and is counterproductive.

Since starting OP in May I have had so many NSV's that really mean alot to me-off BP meds topping the list.

Best wishes! I hope to see you posting!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #5  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I just started phase one too and I'm trying to weigh in two days a week at the same time everyday and on one scale. But more so, I am trying on a too small outfit once week, to me that means more than the scale ever will, especially because us ladies flucuate so much.
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

I have weighted myself everyday for years. I don't think the habit has not affected my yo-yo weight loss or gain. But on the negative side, I will say that the number each morning can impact my mood for the day. I've always read it is better not to weigh daily but just can't do that. When I am actually tracking weight loss, I like weekly or monthly stats.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #7  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Thanks for the input! I like the idea of weighing only at the gym. My daily weigh ins also affect my mood for the day, and I would like to get over that. As long as I am on plan and working, everything is going to fall into place. A number on the scale is just a number. If I had the willpower I would stay off it completely, but I want to make sure I am not unknowingly getting way off track.

I am getting excited for my start date! Today I am making some veggie and bean soup to freeze for grab and go lunches, and I might make some of the breakfast quiches also. I am following a phase II plan pretty close in the meantime, but I can't wait to start a clean phase I on the 1st. I want 2010 to be a banner year for me! Thanks for the encouragement!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Height: 5'4"

I weigh everyday also.... But I only record my weight once a week and always at the same time and scale.
Karrebeaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #9  
treble1627

S/C/G: 160/159/128

Height: 5' 3"

It's hard for me not to weigh myself daily.
treble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 AM   #10  
My goal = health

I weight myself every morning, but I use it as a guideline only. I train heavy with weights and my weight is not a good indicator of fatloss. Body fat % is more accurate, but it's hard to measure myself. So, take measurements and "measure" with your favorite pair of tight jeans- don't rely just on a number on a scale to measure your success!
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #11  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Personal choice, but I NEVER weigh myself. I have no idea what I weigh and don't care. I was aiming for a clothing size and go by how my clothes feel and fit. The last time I stepped on a scale was 5 years ago when I had a hysterectomy and they MADE me do it.

To me, it's just a machine and a machine that JUDGES. I can judge myself without a stupid machine making me feel bad if it doesn't move fast enough, or shows a gain. It doesn't show self worth and it doesn't show my healthy lifestyle. They can be inaccurate. My scale is the dressing room in the store. Stepping on a scale can be depressing and set me up for a bad day. (OMG, I gained a lb...might as well eat a cupcake!) I just go about my day eating healthy and exercising and my jeans tell me the results of that, not a number on a machine.

Last edited by femmecreole; 12-31-2009 at 08:24 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #12  

I think one of the most positive contributors to my three year success with SBD is my daily weigh in...I weigh each morning and chart my weight...If it is up that is just what my body is doing for the day...water weight, body changes etc. normally cause one to gain...I have had to learn if I am eating clean to my plan, I don't have to worry about weight gains...I have also had to learn that the body doesn't know the difference in healthy over-eating and eating the wrong foods....Both of these have been valuable learning
lessons from my experience with SBD...
In the past, I, too, would weigh, experience a gain and think all is lost...SBD has changed that...
I have had the most amazing success with SBD...I have to keep my enthusiasm under control...ha
crutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 279/252/160

Height: 5'5"

I have been weighing myself weekly, but this is mainly because I haven't purchased a scale yet. So far, it is working for me. Good luck with you weight loss and I know how you feel because I was feeling that same way before starting the SBD. You can do it!!
sjohnson102006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 177/161/127

Height: 5' 2"

I think weighing at the gym works best for me, because my weight does affect my mood....but so does working out.

If I weigh less than before, I'm happy and energetic, and I have a great workout.

If I weigh more than before--well, I'm already at the gym. I'm not in a place where I can immediately go drown my sorrows in a cupcake. I get out there and push myself, and give myself a great workout. I *always* feel better after a workout, so my crummy mood from the weigh in is alleviated by the workout. Ultimately I know my heart, lungs, and muscles are better off for my workout, and so I feel positive about the whole day, knowing I'm on the right track, even though the scale didn't really reflect that on that particular day.

For me, weighing in is PART of monitoring my weight loss and health. I like knowing how much I weigh, and I monitor that as well as my endurance on the treadmill, my weights that I'm lifting, and how my clothes fit.
lorijds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #15  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

HN - I am the same way. The scale always makes or breaks me. I get sad and depressed if I see a gain, sometimes weighing in multiple times a day. Obession, for me, is not healthy. However, I know when I don't weigh, I don't feel as accountable.

So, I am trying to find a healthy medium. I've only weighed in twice since my start on Thursday so I am hoping that I can keep it to every other day. I don't want to get obsessed and slide again.

Thanks for posting this. It even helps to hold myself accountable (But not overly so) to post back!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote