Dieting with Obstacles - Sick with the flu

View Full Version : Sick with the flu

Sonata
12-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I've been sick with the flu since Christmas and was wondering how many of you girls have had to deal with this? How did it affect your metabolism? All I have wanted to do is sip watered down apple juice and eat bland starchy foods. I know I'm not even approaching getting enough calories and definitely not enough nutrients. Any thoughts?

Mikan
12-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi, I was sick all throughout last quarter in college with h1n1, then a sinus infection, and finally a cold. My advice is if your not hungry don't force your body too much, but sip on soups and juice. You could also try a protein shake to make sure your getting protein and extra vitamins. My biggest mistake after catching the sicknesses is I decided to give up my diet after I was feeling better, thinking that my body must need 'normal' amount of food. I went above my starting weight come the end of the semester.

Try to get lots of rest, lots of fluids and eat lightly what you can. I hope you get better soon !

Justafewmore
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
When you get sick it is tough to stick to a diet. The Flu is rough and I know you do not want to eat but try your best to get some nutrients.

This year I have been trying to prevent the flu.There are some good flu trackers out there like Triaminic's.

My job has been doing marketing for them for about a year and they recently added a good flu tracker to their website. It tells you the rate of infection for your area so you can add a little prevention.

Once you are exposed try to keep your hands clean and vitamins to boost your defense.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-26-2010, 09:27 PM
YOu need to keep your energy up but also make sure you get your vitamins in too; I agree that you should take a daily vitamin. And try to have some veggie or chicken noodle soup each day. You can also have diet or regular ginger ale and tea, which I drank a lot of during my last bad flu (my grammie's advice).

I think having a protein shake; either homemade or buy them if you are too sick to make one. You can buy them at your local drug store; and you can get those Carnation Instant breakfasts at the grocery store too. Don't forget that you can eat soft fruits like applesauce, pureed peaches or pears, and jello; I've even seen people eat baby jars of fruit when sick. Bananas and oranges to get in some potassium.

I really liked chicken noodle soup with a few whole grain soda crackers. You can get that in an instant cup-a-soup too (lipton) or the one you make in a pot. Later on, I would eat scrambled eggs for protein; and sometimes a slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter.

Hope you are feeling better soon ... :hug: