Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

Smile Hi everyone!

My name is Liz. I'm 21 years old and a senior at the University of Illinois, studying biology. After an internship next year, I'm applying to medical school.

My story is really long, but I'll try to keep it short! I had a fairly normal weight growing up, but when I was 13 I developed anorexia and was 90lbs at 5'4". After going into recovery for that and maintaining 110lbs with very strict diet/exercise, I thought I might be able to stay at this weight while allowing myself to binge sometimes, followed by purging (little did I know this had a name - bulimia!). The purging didn't work and I started high school at 130lbs. I was so disgusted with myself and my low self esteem gave me lots of problems during my freshman year. I missed out on a lot of great opportunities and kept trying to make friends, join activities, and lose weight. I didn't lose weight, in fact I kept gaining as I kept binging at home - every time resolving to fast for some ungodly amount of time or exercise for hours on end. I started dating a guy very seriously when I was a junior and our frequent buffet dinners, etc, helped me get up to 190lbs by the time I started college. I had no idea how much I weighed until I went to the doctor for a college physical!!! I got my eating somewhat under control - the nightly binges were curbed, but now I was just overeating consistently. After the jerk dumped me my freshman year, I lost my appetite and, consequently, about 10lbs. Hearing encouragement from everyone helped me lose a little more weight and meeting my current boyfriend several months later also gave me incentive to lose more weight. I held steady around 165 until about this time last year, when I resolved to get down to 120. I only lost 15lbs, but was so confident and felt great. When I went abroad this summer, I gained 25lbs (yes, in one summer) and I've slowly been taking it off.

I feel like I'm running out of time - I missed out fun times in high school and now college because of my weight (more because of my lack of self confidence!!!). I want to wear cute clothes and look great in my 20s. I want to set myself up for a healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life. I'm so tired of the weight and I'm tired of being discouraged. So, I've joined forces with you all and I hope that I'll have motivation to stay on track through this community.

Thanks! And sorry this was so long...
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #2  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

Wow, what a story! I hope you are feeling better now and can do this the right way

Welcome! Even though I'm totally new too I gotta say it ;D

I get where you're coming from; I'm 25 and going crazy over not looking or feeling good, and not being able to pull off certain items of clothing. Or fit in them. Not to mention.

Good luck! I'll see you around
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #3  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Liz!
You really have been through it but it sounds like you're ready to get started on a healthier and happier you with the right attitude and determination - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated, inspired and entertained! There's also info and first hand advice on different eating plans and exercise to help choose the right ones for you and get through the ups and downs. You might like the 20 somethings forum as well.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here a few months myself, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of cheating or giving up.

So welcome - you 've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by leeway; 12-30-2009 at 12:47 AM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Welcome to 3FC and good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #5  
No description available.

Welcome! Surf around and settle in!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote