Weight Loss Support - The Five-pound Challenge

View Full Version : The Five-pound Challenge

Amarantha2
08-06-2002, 06:41 PM
I hate to bring this up, what with so many great challenges and challengers on this terrific board, plus the fact that I never finish them, but I want to make a new SHORT challenge from myself (Empress Amarantha/Elbertine Pep) to myself (ibid) and anyone who'd like to do it. If you don't, I'll be crushed but understandeth!

Most of the time we challenge ourselves to be at a certain weight by a certain date or to practice certain behaviors for a certain amount of time. But I'd like to just see how long everyone thinks it'd take them to lose exactly five pounds so we could compare results. It could be a day; it could be a month; it could be a year! Doesn't matter, just a sort of scientific experiment. We could ante up a date and keep a running list on this thread, updating and pasting in the new data as each poster posts, thusly (maybe?):

AMARANTHA, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 1 (CURRENT WEIGHT 165)

Anyone else?

168/165/135

:cbg:

Marusha
08-06-2002, 07:19 PM
Hi Amarantha:

I will take you up on your challenge. I need some inspiration. I have been exercising (golf and walking my dog) but I can't seem to stop eating the wrong things.

So I think if I commit myself to it, I can lose 5 pounds by August 27th (3 weeks). :strong:

I will report in every Tuesday to this thread if that suits you.

Marusha (I wish my current weight was 165.)

Amarantha2
08-06-2002, 09:07 PM
... taketh me up on my challenge. Thanks! Report when it pleaseth you! :)

Re 165, I'm happy enough at that weight only concerned about it because five years ago, I weighed somewhere in the neighborhood of 247 and over time got down to the low 140s ... so this upward trend needs to be reversed! I also need to take weight off my knees very badly. Picture someone with bad knees carrying around an extra five pound sack of flour all day and that's why I just need this jumpstart challenge. You helped me by posting! :)

Don't worry, Marusha, I just feel you'll be successful in your journey. Me, too. Here's the new list:

AMARANTHA, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 1

MARUSHA, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 27

Punkinseed
08-07-2002, 10:23 AM
I'll accept your challenge Emp. Amarantha!

I Terri, Queen Punkinseed, ruler of Friday, do hereby decree:

I will lose 5 pounds by 9/9 (a little less than 5 weeks).

Currently: 235.5
9/9 goal: 230.0 :cb: (ok, 5.5 pounds by 9/9)

I weigh in on Mondays and I'll post progress to this thread.

Woohooooo!

Terri

Amarantha2
08-07-2002, 10:29 AM
Upandaway from the 21-Day Challenge posteth the following on that thread. Thanks and welcome to Upandaway. Happy dance coming up!!!

Amarantha I'll take your 5 lb. challenge, though I'm not going to put a time table to it. I'll do a happy dance just to get through 5 lbs.!" ~ Upandaway

UPANDAWAY, FIVE DOWN BY UNDETERMINED DATE

Hooray for Amarantha, Marusha, and Upandaway, who've vowed to chase FIVE POUNDS away!!!

:dance: :cb: :cp: :hat:

Amarantha2
08-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Well, ok, the quote thing didn't work! To see Q. Upandaway's pledge in detail, hie thee to the 21-Day Challenge! :)

While Amarantha posteth, Q. Punkinseed o' Friday hath signed up for the FIVE POUND CHALLENGE (woo-hoo, thanks), leaving the list thusly:

PUNKINSEED, FIVE POINT FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9

RycherBabe
08-07-2002, 01:36 PM
So how is everyone doing with the challenge?

I'll take your challenge also.

I'm 204. I'll give myself until Labor Day Sep. 2nd to lose five pounds. I weigh in on Wednesday so I'll come back next week and let you know how I'm doing. :)

Amarantha2
08-07-2002, 07:54 PM
So now we are FIVE!!!!!Thanks, RycherBabe for joining us!

Hooray for the POWER OF FIVE!!!

The next to join will turn us into the POWER OF SIX FOR FIVE!!! Then, the POWER OF SEVEN FOR FIVE!!! ETC.

PUNKINSEED, FIVE-POINT-FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9

RYCHERBABE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 2

:cb:

Karena
08-07-2002, 11:02 PM
Maketh that the POWER OF SIX-my lucky number! I pledge to lose 5 pounds by August 26th. This is just what I need to keep me on track while on vacation next week!

Amarantha2
08-08-2002, 03:25 AM
... it is!!!

Thanks for joining in, Karena, bringing your lucky number with you! Hope you have a great, on track vacation.

And the six future losers of five are:

KARENA, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 26

:flow1: :flow2: :doh:

Byrd
08-08-2002, 07:44 AM
All right gals, I'll join your challenge as well!!!!!!!

I'm a yo-yo'er & trying to work my way back down :stress: I just "started" back (on my own) last Monday & had set a goal of 10 lbs for 8/19 (back to school) & have lost 7 so far, so I'm gonna push the ball & say 5 lbs more by 8/19 :flame:

I think I can, I think I can......I know I can, I know I can!!!!!!!!!

181CW
176 by 8/19....2 more lbs & I'll be in another point range:dance:
130 GW

Amarantha2
08-08-2002, 07:52 PM
Welcome to Byrd (Seven of Five). Congratulations on your seven pounds down and thanks for joinging the Challenge of Five!!! :)

Here's the new list:

BYRD, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 19

jusdoit
08-08-2002, 08:15 PM
I'm a lurker from waaaay back and I've been between 5-8 pounds from goal from waaaay back. I'd like to join your challenge and lose 5 pounds by September 9. I can just feel the energy here....... May I?

Byrd
08-08-2002, 09:55 PM
Yes, of course you can, Jusdoit........& the best of luck to you:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Amarantha2
08-08-2002, 11:02 PM
Hello to the eighth Five Challenger, Jusdoit! She's gonna do it (lose five pounds)!!! Here's the new list:

JUSDOIT, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9

A journey of a thousand miles begins with FIVE POUNDS!

:cp: :cb: :hb:

jusdoit
08-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome Byrd and Amarantha. I'm so excited to be out of lurkdom.

I weighed in this morning (after pizza last night:o ) so I'd have a base to start the 5-pound challenge. Since my target date is a Monday (9/9) I'll weigh in and report on Mondays. This weekend my goal is to workout both days. I'm a fairly consistent exerciser, but lately I've fallen into some bad habits and have gone from 5-6 days a week to just 3. Not good enough!

Have a great Friday everyone and let's keep our goals in focus ;)

anagram
08-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Room for one more? I weighed in Wed. at 239.4 so how about if I say five pounds by Sept 11th? I know my losses are slow (but so far consistent).

Great idea for a challenge.

gtera
08-09-2002, 04:28 PM
I also pledge to take the challenge!!!!!

:cb:

5 pounds by August 30th..

keeping all fingers crossed for myself because this is my FIRST official challenge.. :fr:

Amarantha2
08-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Hooray, the ranks of FIVE POUND LOSERS hath swelled again!!! Hi to Babette (who posteth her joinage of the challenge on the 21-day challenge board), Gtera and Anagram. I'd wish everyone (including me) luck, but WE HAVE PLUCK, SO DON'T NEED LUCK!!! Those five pounds are history!

Byrd: Amarantha is sometimes slow on the uptake, but wanted to mention how much she loveth the concept of the FIVE dancing creatures in your last post. Can these be FIVE CUTE POUNDS OF FAT DANCING HAPPILY AWAY FROM OUR BODIES TO A BETTER LIFE IN THAT LAND FAR AWAY WHERE LOST POUNDS OF FAT GO TO LIVE OUT THEIR LIVES IN PEACE AND JOY?!!! (Sorry to shout, but I'm hoping they'll hear me and rush to buy real estate in the Land of Lost Pounds.)

ANAGRAM, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 11

BABETTE, FIVE DOWN BY MID-SEPTEMBER

GTERA, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 30

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Amarantha2
08-10-2002, 12:58 PM
FIVE!!!

If you're focusing on FIVE, shout it out!!!

The above station break was sponsored by Elbertine Pep, personal trainer to royalty!

Tomorrow is the Ceremony of Weighing-In in Emp. Amarantha's empire. Amarantha will joyfully hop onto the Golden Scale of Good Intentions, which weigheth not only pounds but, well, good intentions. She will report to this stalwart group of proponents of the CHALLENGE OF FIVE!!! Woo-hoo, all!

gtera
08-11-2002, 05:41 AM
How's everyone doing on their five pound challenge?

I tell you one thing, my body must be the weirdest thing in science known to man.

I started my 5 pound challenge two days ago. I weighed 204, I weighed myself this morning and I weigh 200.8. I never lose weight this fast and I AM following my 29 daily points. Yesterday I banked 2 points and Friday I banked 1 point. So it's not like I'm starving myself. Hopefully come Friday I will still be less than 204, but the way it seems, I'll be reaching my challenge two weeks early.

I have no explanation for it, but it feels

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

:dancer:

Karena
08-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Way to go gtera! I noticed that our weight stats are very similar, although your weight's coming off a little faster (you started heavier and later than me, yet your current weight is less). May have something to do with me going a couple points over on most days...

Tomorrow is the DAY for me to weigh. But today I attend a feast fit for a king (otherwise known as a family reunion) so wish me luck! Hmm maybe I should just cheat a little and weigh in today, instead of tomorrow...

Amarantha, we are awaiting with bated breath for the results of your weighin.

gtera
08-11-2002, 09:17 AM
Well.. I don't think I'm working harder than you.. it's just I started my diet about 3 weeks after giving birth.. so about 10 kilo's of that was water and baby fat.. the rest I've just become obsessed about. Or at least that's what my hubby just told me to tell you. :lol:

I would rather go to bed than to allow myself to eat and go over my points. And if I am hungry and I've already had my points for the day, then I will eat green beans or something that is very low points..

I really can't stand the thought of gaining weight.. and those days that I do gain or those weeks where I gain, I get depressed.. I'm so determined to be SKINNY that it drives me insane sometimes.. maybe I need to join OWWA.. obsessive weight watchers anonymous.. :lol: :lol: :lol: nah.. just kidding..

but some people lose quicker than others.. you're doing a wonderful job.. don't ever give up !!!

Amarantha2
08-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Well, guys it's like this: My five pound challenge has become a FIVE POINT FIVE CHALLENGE!!! I actually went UP a half pound. This is the wrong direction. Actually, I'm not too discouraged as my weekly calorie total was up, making for a daily average of approximately 2300, and my average daily calories burned in exercise was down a bit (from 1980 last week to 1730 this week), plus I drank huge amounts of iced slimfast last night as I was trying to work and it is extremely hot in here ... no AC and I live in Arizona. So I'm not worried that I can't make my DEADLINE (work deadlines are another story, sigh). My new stats starting from this challenge are 165/165.5/135. I AM MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER!

WOO-HOO, Gtera is DOWN approximately FOUR POUNDS!!! That's fantastic, Gtera. (P.S., I don't think you're obsessed; if you were obsessed you wouldn't be eating your full points range. But hopefully you'll get to a place where you won't go to bed early to avoid eating or get depressed for the day when the scale blips up a bit. As we all know, some days it just does that!!! :)

Karena: Good luck on your family reunion!! :fr:

AMARANTHA, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 1, UP .5

BABETTE, FIVE DOWN BY MID-SEPTEMBER

GTERA, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 30, DOWN 3.2

gtera
08-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Amarantha,

I'm not as bad as I make myself out to be.. ;)

But I do get upset and depressed when I have worked hard for a weight loss and gain.. now that gets my temper roaring. :o I have a tendency to stay up late at night. I get up early each morning to take care of my now five month old and after that, my day is filled with cleaning, washing, groceries, playing, exercising, diapers.. well you get the picture.. once she is in bed is my quality time for MYSELF.. I tend to stay up til 2-3am at times.. I have dinner at 6pm each night. So if around 10-11pm I start getting hungry, I will go on to bed.. see.. I'm not that bad.. just didn't add any explanation with my lame story.. forgive me ???

Just keep hanging in there gal.. you've done a great job so far and I have faith you'll keep doing good.. and yes you're right.. some days just suck but other days ROCK ! That makes up for everything !!!!

Tera

Amarantha2
08-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Glad you clarified that, Tera! Thanks for the faith. I used to get more upset about a gain when I really should have a loss, but now I take it in stride. It deepens my commitment. It's a game to me!!! No FIVE FLUFFY POUNDS O' FAT are gonna take up permanent residence here.

Pounds of fat, get outta town! (SOUND OFF, SOUND OFF);
we don't want five pounds around!!! (SOUND OFF, SOUND OFF).

Byrd
08-11-2002, 07:42 PM
WELCOME ALL NEWBIES!!!!!!!!

Wow, we've got some real determination going on here.
Here's to the five-pounds dancing away!!!!!!!!

I've actually got myself a little nervous. I've had a few days way over points & I pledged to lose down to 176 by next Monday.......oooooohhhhhh lots of work for this week. I posted my mid-week weight instead of last Monday's weight, so I feel that tomorrow's weigh-in will be 181 (at least I hope I stay there & not go above).

OK...no weeping about it:stress: Here's what I've got to do instead................:strong: :sheep: get some exercise in....something I NEVER do.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK ALL

Amarantha2
08-11-2002, 10:31 PM
No tears, no fears, challenges can be FLEXIBLE, you know! :)

Exercise is just what I need now, too. Since posting, I've actually eaten MORE extra calories because of deadline stress. I have to call it a day for now, even though I haven't finished work, and get some walking in! Or a nap, whichever comes first!

Let's remember to FOCUS ON FIVE!

Byrd
08-12-2002, 08:03 AM
DRUM ROLL PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(((((180)))))

Although I posted 181 last Thursday, 185 was my last Monday w/i, so that's a 5 lbs loss for me this week:cb: I'm so excited (can you tell??)

Anyway, that's 1 lb for the 5 lb challenge, so 4 more to go until next Monday.....I CAN DO IT

WE ALL CAN DO IT

181 Beginning Challenge
180 CW
176 Challenge
130 GW

upandaway
08-12-2002, 08:15 AM
O.K. I'm ready to committ to a date, finally. It makes me really antsy though, like I'm tempting fate, inviting failure, whatever. I want to lose my 5 pounds by September 11, one month. That sounds reasonable, but we'll see.

upandaway

gtera
08-12-2002, 08:20 AM
way to go Byrd !! :cb: :dance: :cb:

that's wonderful news !!!

upandaway, haven't you ever heard that you can do anything you put your mind to doing? :idea:

you can do it.. I have faith in ya'.. :angel:

Byrd
08-12-2002, 08:29 AM
upandaway....here's another "chick" that has faith in you!!!!!!!!! You can do it; just set your mind to it

:angel:

anagram
08-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Such impressive losses! This week and totals so far. I'm going to have to hustle to post a loss on Wed. Was doing ok but celebrated a 2nd birthday for dgd yesterday. While I ate WAY less than I would have a year or so ago, it was (shame/sob) more than it whould have been. But I have two days (and they will be two days that include exercise) and I hope to make it down even if only .2 #.

Love the FLEXIBLE attitude, which I share, and the knowledge that there will be ups and downs. When I see the FIVE lbs dancing, it makes me want to DANCE the five away.

POWER OF FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amarantha2
08-12-2002, 10:15 AM
I posted this on the 21-day challenge thread also, so I can keep rereading it everywhere: My challenge to myself today is to stay within 1800-2000 calories (my best range for health). Lest anyone find themselves upset because they overate, let me declare I ate 4,000 calories yesterday, according to my computer journal! (I was stressed!) I'm not overly concerned about that, but need to get sanity back in my eating so I can meet my FIVE POUND CHALLENGE that remains in force. I AM MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER! I already walked 40 minutes with walking poles.

Woo-hoo! Everyone has such energy on this board (even those FIVE DANCING POUNDS are smiling because they know they'll soon be MOVING TO A NICE NEW HOME ... somewhere else! Anagram, don't feel like the Lone Ranger about the birthday bash ... please see above!!! You couldn't have topped my caloric day! :lol: Upandaway, I third Byrd and Gtera, YOU CAN DO IT! No question. My brother said to me to that I would accomplish my goals today because I am two electrons floating through a semi-conductor. I wasn't sure exactly what that meant but it sounds good, so I know you are two electrons, too. Heck, we are ALL two electrons to the POWER OF FIVE!!!

BYRD HAS LOST ONE POUND OF THE FIVE POUND CHALLENGE which is part of AN OVERALL FIVE POUND LOSS FOR HER TOTAL WEEK. THIS IS OUTSTANDING WORK, BYRD!!! You deserve a round of applause and a party! :cp: :hat:

BABETTE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 15

BYRD, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 19, DOWN 1

UPANDAWAY, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 11

Amarantha2
08-12-2002, 10:54 AM
Thought it'd be a good idea for the list to be in a separate post. Feel free to update as it pleaseth all of thou!

bobsgal
08-12-2002, 11:39 AM
I'd like to join the challenge. I pledge to lose 5 lbs by Sept 1.
Steph

jusdoit
08-12-2002, 12:43 PM
Hi everyone. First I just want to mention that I don't usually get a chance to post on the weekends, so please don't think I've disappeared. I'M HERE, I'M HERE!!!

Okay, the good news is that I'm down one pound today....the not-so-good news is that I did absolutely NOTHING to earn that so I don't feel completely confident about it. HOWEVER, I will earn it this week - plus one - and next Monday I will deserve what the scale says, which will be down another pound. :D

Amarantha, your attitude ROCKS!!! I love it! Those 5.5 pounds are in a heap of trouble. Adios to them I say :wave: .

Tera, WOOHOO on your 3.2. You go girl. :D

Karena, you're a fellow Monday weigher....I'll be awaiting your wonderful results.

Byrd, way to go on your total loss and on the current challenge loss! :)

Upandaway, don't let setting a goal date become an obstacle. This is your personal goal and if you need to bump the date, so be it. The important thing is that you're headed in the right direction. :cp:

Anagram, good luck on the wednesday weigh-in.

Steph, welcome, welcome, and good luck :)

Okay, this is the beginning of a great week for all of us. I was at the gym this a.m. by 5:30 so I'm all energized and ready to rock & roll :lol:

Sarahbella
08-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Hi Everyone!

I figured I'd jump on the band wagon :D
I'd love to lose 5 lbs.
I've set a goal of 8/28, my wedding anniversary.
I might not succeed, but I'll try my best.
That's in about 2 weeks.

Good luck everyone!

Sarah

Punkinseed
08-12-2002, 02:55 PM
Hello all! :wave:

Wow, I'm not online on the weekends - we exploded!!!! It's SO wonderful to see you all; Byrd, Jusdoit, anagram, gtera, upandaway (HI!), bobsgal and sarahbella!

I'm happy to say I'm down 1 pound this week! :dance: (that's my one pound dancing its' way offa' my butt).

So, 1 down, 4.5 to go!

Terri

Sarahbella
08-12-2002, 03:48 PM
Congrats Terri!
That's wonderful!
Keep it up :)

How long have you been on program?

Punkinseed
08-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Well, *this* time, I've been mostly on program since late January. I say "mostly" because I've been hovering around the same weight since April. My own fault though... at least now I can say I know maintentance!!
So, this last week has been a rededication week - so far so good!

Terri

Sarahbella
08-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Thanks wonderful!
I know what you mean about maintaining!
I joined back up last May just 2 weeks after having my daughter...and I've just lost 9 lbs since then!

I weighed in at 198.5 at my highest pregnancy weight.
I weighed in at WW at 175.75 2 weeks after.

I've really been struggling...but after much thought, decided enough is enough, I'm worth this...and I'm going to do this!
I did it twice before.....third times a charm :)

I'm a LTM...it's about time I started acting like one ;)

Hugs,
Sarah

Amarantha2
08-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Welcome to Bobsgal and Sarahbella, new members of the POWER OF FIVE!!!! Welcome to all previous members also!!! :) Congrats on the losses, you guys are awesome and made my day ... if only I didn't have to go back to work in a sec!! Here's an updated list. Please correct if I got it wrong:

BOBSGAL, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 1

JUSDOIT, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9, DOWN 1

PUNKINSEED, FIVE-POINT-FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9, DOWN 1

SARAHBELLA, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 28

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :cp: :cb:

Karena
08-13-2002, 12:46 AM
I'm a little disappointed. Weighed in this AM with a one pound loss. I did eat 2400 calories at the reunion but I took two brisk walks for a total of 2 hours 15 minutues and 7.5 miles! Not fair :( That should have wiped off the extra goodies on Sunday. Oh well. I'll take the pound.

So Jusdoit-we're tied ;)

Amarantha, wow 4000 calories is alot of stress!! :lol: I'm sure you'll get things under control. Sometimes work just sucks (IMO anyways)!

Gtera-I admire your discipline - betcha wouldn't have let that nasty reunion get the best of you! PS I've also always ferociously guarded my evenings - my baby's six now and staying up later, so my evenings have gone more into the wee hours.

Congrats to everyone. You go girls!!!

One pound down, four to go...

Byrd
08-13-2002, 07:52 AM
KARENA...don't let a one pound loss get you down!!! If you're anything like me, those other pounds will disappear during the week. And at least it's a pound DOWN instead of a pound UP :flow2:

jusdoit.......WOW, you're the only person I've ever heard say they're not all that excited about a weight loss because they don't feel they deserve it. YES YOU DO!!!! Whether you did anything to earn it (weightloss-wise or not, you deserve it) :flow1:

Sarahbella...I would hate to tell you the story of my weight after having my son 2 yrs ago (but I will LOL). I gained 50 pounds with him :eek: and didn't even lose any after he was born???? Now how did that happen???? Anyway, he's now 2 & I've only been working on this since March (with most of the summer off) & I'm still about 15 pounds above beginning preg. weight. However, I had lost 30 pounds before becoming preg. I've always been a yo-yo-er. One day I hope not to be!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to you in getting your weight off & keeping it off.

Way to go Punkinseed, on losing that pound!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome bobsgal, & good luck to you!!!

Amarantha, gtera, upandaway, anagram, babette, marusha & rycherbabe hope things are going well for all of you

Here's to our fat pounds dancing away as we speak!!!

Amarantha2
08-13-2002, 08:48 AM
Well, Amarantha madeth her daily challenge of 1800-2000 calories ... actually it was 2065 calories, but close enough! :)

If Amarantha, is to meet her five pound challenge, she must focus daily on good weight management and health behavior, so she maketh another challenge for herself today of 1800-2000 calories (or less if that should occur), plus the subgoals of working out early and maintaining the Zone of No Food Between 9 P.M. And Midnight).

POWER OF FIVE MEMBER KARENA LOST ONE POUND OF HER FIVE POUND CHALLENGE!

WOO-HOO!!!

Hope all the great POWER OF FIVE challengers will forgive the lack of personal replies, as the computer is about to crash. I shall posteth the updated list in a separate post so the spirits of the 'net do not get mad!

Amarantha2
08-13-2002, 09:05 AM

KARENA, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 26, DOWN 1

Sarahbella
08-13-2002, 10:10 AM
:dance: I never knew fat could be so cute :dance:

;)

Punkinseed
08-13-2002, 10:38 AM
I'm doing great with my secondary challenge - staying off the scale! I debated this morning... and didn't do it!!! It helped that my Luna kitty had her big feline butt on it (it's on a pedestal under my bathroom window). So, carry on... no scale till Monday!

Sarah - I can relate - not only am I a lifetime member, I'm an ex-employee! I was a WW leader for almost 3 years. You'd think once you WORKED there you'd have banished your weight for life. Nope, doesn't work that way....

Karena - You celebrate that little 1 pound!!! Our 5 pound challenge is just 1 pound losses, 5 times in a row! Heck, you're a 1/5th of the way there! :cp:

Gotta get to work...

Terri
1 down, 4.5 to go!! :cb:
(3 lbs to virgin fat territory)

jusdoit
08-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Karena, I'm glad to be in such good company - tied with the 1 lb. losers! It's funny, you and I both had gripes about our 1 lb. loss - mine because I didn't deserve it, so I didn't think it would stick, and yours because you DID deserve it and then some! Well, my prediction is that on your next weigh-in you'll see those extra pounds lost, and I will earn 1 or 2 myself. YEAH US:strong: .

Byrd, I have a prediction for you too (aren't you excited!) you will no longer be a "yo-yo-er." This is your last journey down losing street (gaining street can eat your dust). Last stop - lifetime maintenance. I know you can do it! :D

Amarantha, excellent job on your daily challenge! Today will indeed be even better. I tend to hover around 2000 cals/day also which seems to work as long as I'm exercising. Special thanks to you for setting up this challenge thread and for keeping it updated. You're our QUEEN! :cp:

Punkinseed, congrats on joining the 1-pound-down club. Good job staying off the scale. I could use a little of that will-power also :^: .

Sarah, welcome to the band wagon! Third time will indeed be a charm for you. NOTHING'S GONNA STOP YOU NOW :strong: .

My goal for the day is to run on my lunch hour (didn't get to the gym this a.m. - I won't bore you with my excuses). Wish me luck getting my butt out the door. Adios to my good hair day :wave:

Amarantha2
08-13-2002, 01:11 PM
This is such a fun, active group, it really helps to come here and post away my desire to binge. Thanks to all of you for the support and thanks to those cute DANCING POUNDS![/SIZE 1]

[SIZE=1]Those pounds are SO cute, I'm sure they'll have no trouble finding a new home once we kick 'em out! I'm sure if we refuse to feed 'em, they'll go of their own accord and no scene will be necessary!

GO, LITTLE POUNDS! BE HAPPY! FIND ADVENTURE IN THE BIG WORLD! (P.S. Don't come back!)

Arabella
08-13-2002, 01:41 PM
If so, join me in the chat room!

dustcatcher
08-13-2002, 02:31 PM
I would like to join this challenge too. I will try to lose 5 lbs in a month, let's say Sept 13. It doesn't sound like much, but even losing 5 lbs, for me, would be a great accomplishment.
I am starting today at 215.

jusdoit
08-13-2002, 03:54 PM
Wanted to report that I did run on my lunch hour...HOORAY! About 3.5 miles (at a slow pace, but that's beside the point).

Welcome dustcatcher! Five pounds is a great way to start and September 13 sounds like your lucky number. Best of luck to you and all :) :) .

Sarahbella
08-13-2002, 04:28 PM
Wow! 3.5 miles! That's terrific!
As I logged onto the computer today I thought to myself...gee, I really should go for a nice brisk walk today.

Then I thought, no way, it's much too hot and muggy out today.

Now I think your ambition has gotten me to rethink!
I'll let you know if I go for my 2.5 mile walk. :sheep:

We are all doing fantastic!

Thanks so much for being there for me girls! I know I just joined...but I feel so welcomed! :wave:
I don't get a lot of positive encouragment at home...so to have you guys to 'chat' with really means a lot to me.

Have a wonderful night!
I have about 11 or 12 more pts for dinner.
We are having pasta with red sauce! :chb:

Sarah
175.75/166.5/135
161.5 by August 28th!
Weigh in tomorrow or Thursday :o

Amarantha2
08-13-2002, 06:15 PM
[SIZE=1]Babette: I took a nap so am assuming you've left the chatroom. I'm heading for the mountains to do yet another school board. Left you a message on the 21-day thread! :)

HOORAY! DUSTCATCHER HATH JOINETH THE POWER OF FIVE!!! Welcome, Dustcatcher, I'll update the list in a separate post! Glad you are here. We need all the POWER we can to collectively kick out these cute but pesky pounds. (Note: No dancing pounds of fat are being injured in this experiment. We are just coaxing 'em to leave town and set up their own household.) ;)

My editor side wants me to go back and fix the html on my last post, but I feel that would be obsessive, so I'll live with it!

Sarahbella: Hope you decide to do your walk, because it'll probably feel good, but resting is good, too! Whatever you decide is likely to be what your body needs. I live in Arizona and it's always hot here, so sometimes I walk in the mall these days. Even take my walking poles, though people probably think I'm weird. I AM weird, so that's ok! :)

Justdoit: Congrats on the lunch hour 3.5. Thou inspireth me to go to the mountains a bit early and walk around the lake before the meeting I'm covering tonight. You know, IMO a slow pace is good ... I call it the healing pace and I have brought myself back to health and fitness by using this slow, meditative, soothing walking style. I like to walk fast most of the time but believe the slow walks are really good, too, and burn lots of calories depending on time walked.

:)

Amarantha2
08-13-2002, 06:27 PM
Finally remembering to close the size code, I hope! Hello again to all the amazing POWER OF FIVE team. You say you have FIVE PESKY POUNDS in the neighborhood? Who you gonna call? POUNDBUSTERS 'R US!

DUSTCATCHER, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 13

jusdoit
08-13-2002, 06:38 PM
Sarah and Amarantha, thanks for the kudos for my run. It's so nice to have support! And if I was able to offer you both some inspiration, that makes my whole day :D . I get so much from everyone here, it's nice to know that I can perhaps contribute a little something.

Everyone have a great evening. You all deserve it!

Sarahbella
08-13-2002, 07:27 PM
Hi guys!
I didn't get the walk in...which is probably a good thing since I'm very tired these days (starting my vitamins tonight...I think I'm anemic again)....and it is so muggy that it's unhealthy.

But you truely did insprire me!
All of you!
All for one and one for all (am I corny or what ;) )

g'night

Sarah
21pt day! Whooo Hooo...onto day three on program!

Byrd
08-13-2002, 07:52 PM
WELCOME dustcatcher :wave: It's good to have you on board. A month sounds like a good beginning for a five pound loss. Are you just starting out?

Well girls, I will tell you about my "meager" attempt at exercise; It's not much, but it's a beginning........10 minutes on the 'ole exercise bike this morning!!! I plan to do 10 more tonight after the kids are in bed, but we'll see :shrug: It really is a HUGE accomplishment for me because I'm by no means one to ever exercise. I got plenty of exercise last school year walking around campus, but I've switched colleges this year & there won't be as much walking, so I guess I'll have to do something else. Anyway, a little bit IS better than nothing.

Keep up the good work everyone.

RycherBabe
08-14-2002, 08:52 AM
Wow, we've got a lot of people joining us. :) How is everyone doing?

I'm down 1.6 pounds this week. Slow and steady wins the race!

202.4 Only 3.4 more to go :)

Patti

Punkinseed
08-14-2002, 10:27 AM
Hello wonderful loosers! :lol:

Welcome Dustcatcher!

RycherBabe - Congrats on the awsome loss! :dance:

Jusdoit - I'd *kill* to be able to do my exercise during lunch! It's great that you just made the decision and did it (hey, that's your name!)

Byrd - I figure any exercise is better than no exercise. You will eventually become addicted to it like the rest of us crazy folks and your 10 min. will become 30 or 50.... It's getting on the bike the *first* time that's hard! Good for you! :cp:

Sarah - Ok, you and me. I need to start taking my vitamins again too... Now, how to remember to TAKE them!

Amarantha - Dearest Empress Amarantha... is the spa still open? It's been so long...
Your walk around the lake sounds wonderful. My walk right now is just down the road to one of our bearing trees and back (a tree used 60 years+ ago when where I lived was a working ranch and they used certain trees to get their bearings). That's my little 1 mile walk...

New decision besides not weighing myself (which I did this morning, bad me! :nono: ). I will also quit reading the grocery store ads. WHY??? I know what I need to buy, if it's on sale I'll find out when I get to the store - seeing all the food in the ads just gives me fantasies about binging (ooooh, I could get one of those, and one of those....). Not a good thing.
I also think I've learned something valuable about me - I may be late coming to this realization but I've discovered the binging is NOT about the food - but the behavior! The food is all great and fine, but how many times have I inhaled something I didn't even like?!? It's the behavior! I need to change my relationship with food now - IT'S NOT THE ENEMY, my behavior around it IS.

Whew, that felt good....

Terri :moo:

Amarantha2
08-14-2002, 12:18 PM
Everyone is doing wonderfully; I will post the list separately. Firstly, Amarantha is happy to report the NEWS O' FIVE ... and it's all GOOD NEWS!!!

Speaking of "losers," RYCHERBABE HATH LOST AN ADMIRABLE 1.6 OF HER FIVE POUND CHALLENGE!!!! WTG, RYCHERBABE!!! :dance: Plus Point Six!!!

Q. Punkinseed o' Friday hath searcheth her soul and cometh to some awesome conclusions ... involving the realization that (are you listening, Amarantha plus the guy suing the fast food company?) to paraphrase Shakespeare, "The fault dear Brutus lies not in the food but in ourselves!" or as Ray Bradbury put it once, "The Martians are us!" or as Pogo once put it, "The enemy is us!" Q. Punkinseed, thanks for your post. I'm joining you in daily rededication to personal responsibility and good fitness behavior because "IF IT'S TO BE, IT'S UP TO ME!

P.S. Since Emp. A and Elbertine Pep went walkabout the lazy staff back at the spa hath refuseth to do much. It's open for anyone who wants to drop in but Emp. A and Elbertine Pep are selfishly pursuing their journey and are likewise too lazy to post there. So management is kind of open to anyone who wants to revive it. The towel boy is still there. We don't know WHAT he's doing with his days.

More news: Byrd hath revived her exercise habit!!! Go Byrd!!! Every exercise minute counts! I have that on the authority of Elbertine Pep, personal trainer to Empress Amarantha of the Walking Poles! If thou accumulateth exercise minutes during the day, it increaseth fitness as much as a long workout, IMO (and the opinion of lots of scientific types). Keep going! You are doing great!!!

Sarahbella is starting to take her vitamins again!!!Sarahbella, I need to remember these also; thankee kindly for the reminder! Definetely, I feel I am more in control of food and exercise when I remember. :)

Amarantha's Daily Challenge is to eateth within the range of 1700-1999 calories (or less if that should occur, which it probably won't). Her challenge yesterday was met with 1985 calories and she hopeth to bring that down by the end of the week! She hath already pole-walked outside at a good intensity and variety of desert and neighborhood surfaces for 60 minutes. She must stop typing here and write stories for newspaper employer!

TO ALL POWER OF FIVERS: HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! LIST FOLLOWETH!!!

Amarantha2
08-14-2002, 12:33 PM

ANAGRAM, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 11, DOWN 1.8

PUNKINSEED, FIVE-PNT-FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9, DOWN 1

RYCHERBABE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 2, DOWN 1.6

anagram
08-14-2002, 12:49 PM
POWER OF FIVE~ I, Anagram, am so delighted. I weighed in - and I am down 1.8 lbs and am overwhelmed.

Terri - when I started the current lap of this journey, I was scaleless and thought I'd just stay that way and only count weigh ins at dr. office and just feel better about looser clothing, etc.

I did this because of previous obsession with scale numbers that led to me only weighing naked and over and over and over again.

Needless to say, I weakened and bought a new scale. I put it in my basement to make it really awkward to weigh in naked and while I'm weighing in more than I should, it has not yet reached compulsive status. I think I'll join you and make me "weight" till next Wed. to weigh again. Can I do it? Am I strong? Doubt it but will try before the tyranny of the scale takes over again.

Anyway, happy today!

Byrd
08-14-2002, 02:13 PM
Well girls, I'll tell you what....I'm a compulsive weigher too :rolleyes: I know it's a no-no, but I do it anyway & I don't really plan on changing it!!!!

I didn't do the additional 10 minutes of exercise last night (just pure laziness), but I did do 20 minutes this morning!!!!!! :jig: You girls are giving me the extra encouragement that I have been needing all summer.

March-May I was leading a group of ladies following the WW program "on our own", but no one wanted to struggle w/their weight through the summer, so I've had no real encouragement since May. I just started back & decided to get back on the boards & do it on my own & now one of my friends thinks we might get everyone back together & renew the group. Maybe I can double-up on the support soon!!!!!!:flow2:

I'm keeping my points in range better this week, but the scales aren't moving so I guess last week is catching up........I will probably have to change my target date, but I'm not going to do that until I weigh in on Monday.

Have a great day everyone.

Amarantha2
08-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Yo! ANAGRAM IS DOWN 1.8 OF HER FIVE POUND CHALLENGE!!! :dance:

Anagram: I'm editing the list above to add your loss ... picturing you sneaking down to basement naked to hop on scale! :) Good luck on your no-scale days! I have had somewhat the same experience in the past of hopping on, hopping off any old time. Used to go out and buy new scales all the time because I thought they weren't correct! Then the new one would always say exactly the same and I'd go nuts. Now it's my prime directive to only weigh-in on Sundays (no clothes). Seems pretty accurate and is the same as the doctor's scale give or take a few pounds of clothes.

Amarantha2
08-14-2002, 02:26 PM
Byrd! You are doing wonderfully ... 10 minutes yesterday, 20 today, figure 4-7 calories per minute of that extra exercise and its an extra 120-210 calories off of a 3500-calorie :dance: ... good luck getting your group going! :)

Guinever
08-14-2002, 02:33 PM
Count me in! I just found these message boards after a month on fitday.com (a great free site) with no support. I lost 10 pounds, but I always wanted some kind of human touch to keep it interesting. So my 5 pound goal is for the day I leave to go back to school - Aug. 31st. I can totally make it!

Guinever
5'9'' 185/175/160

jusdoit
08-14-2002, 03:12 PM
It's so good to see all the posts and all the great inspiration bursting out from them. This group ROCKS!

Sarah, good for you for listening to your body and knowing when it needs rest. Get those vitamins on board and you'll be out there walking in no time.

Byrd, 10 mins. yesterday and 20 mins. today is fantastic! One of my biggest weaknesses is the "all or nothing" attitude, i.e., if I don't have a full hour or more to devote to exercise, then It's not woth doing anything. That's SO WRONG! Every minute of exercise counts. 10 mins. here - 20 mins. there all adds up to better health and fitness (and, of course, weight loss ;) ). So keep on keepin on :cp: .

Patti, 1.6 is AWESOME, congrats!!

Terri, thanks for sharing some great insight re food and behavior. I definitely can relate. Food for thought :D .

Amarantha, yippee on another successful daily challenge!!! AND 60 mins of exercise already today - I need some of your energy vibes today :^: .

Anagram, major congrats on the 1.8 outta here!

Guinever, welcome to you and congrats on the 10 lb loss. The next 5 will be a breeze!

I must admit that I'm feeling a little less motivated today. I don't think I'm gonna get a workout in. Correction, I know I'm not. However, I will designate this day my rest day and I will complete the week with at least 5 workout days. I've already got 2 under my belt (my exercise log begins the week on Monday). So I just need 3 more by Sunday. NO PROBLEM !!!

Time for lunch...hmmmm....what'll it be?????

Amarantha2
08-14-2002, 04:26 PM

GUINEVER, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 31

Kaylets
08-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Count me in too!! - I am a very slow loser so I think I'll pick your date Punkinseed- Sept 9-- that's almost a month- I think we can do it!!

this is a great idea! BABYSTEPS --

Everyone sounds so motivated!!

This is a terffic idea Aramantha! Good going!

dollar
08-14-2002, 07:53 PM
Hi ladies well I would like to join your challenge. I have been with WW since Mid Feb 2002 and have lost 56.4lbs I would like to hit my 60 soon so I will take your challenge. 5lbs by Aug 27 I weigh in on Tues so I will let you know.

dollar
08-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Hi ladies me again, my daughter would also like to join the challenge. she has been going to WW with me and has lost 30lbs to date. She would like to lose 5 lbs by Sept 3. that is the start to school for her, her 2nd year of college and she will be going back with a whole new image.

Sarahbella
08-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Hi there!
I went to weigh in tonight and lost 2.25! A big accomplishment for me!
So I'm almost 1/2 way there.
I actually would love to be in the 50's club before my anniversary...it doesn't hurt to dream :D

I haven't been able to sit and read your posts yet...it's so hot here right now... it hit 100 today...a record temp!
And I'm melting...no a/c where the computer is!

I just had to share my great news with you all! I'm thrilled!
Thank you once again for inspiring me to reach my goals and dreams!

Sarah
175.75/164(Yippee!!)/135 - Now I'm finally going in the RIGHT direction!

anagram
08-14-2002, 10:15 PM
Great loss, Sarabella. Welcome, dollar and daughter.

Byrd
08-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Great loss Sarahbella :cp: You're right.....it doesn't hurt to dream!!!!!!!!!

WELCOME dollar (& daughter), Kaylets & Guinever.......good to have you on board.

Great job on your loss as well, anagram :cp:

Have a great day:flow1:

gtera
08-15-2002, 09:11 AM
Hey you five pound challengers!! Nice to see everyone jumping on the bandwagon !!!

Sorry I haven't been able to post and haven't been able to welcome the new members (welcome by the way!!) :dance:

I've been a little busy with some projects around the house but hopefully I can spend a little more time around here. ;)

I'm very happy for everyone who's working towards the challenge. I started my period this week so my weight loss has come to a H A L T ! I hate that! But that's life and it will pick up again. No doubt! I weigh in tomorrow, so I will let you know my new weight although I think it will be a gain and not a loss. That's ok. I'm working on getting out of that obsessive behavior of mine. Wish me luck! :dizzy:

again! Hello to all and CONGRATULATIONS :cp: :cb: :cp:

Amarantha2
08-15-2002, 09:25 AM
Elbertine Pep here, personal trainer to Emp. Amarantha of the Walking Poles. Amarantha is drinking her water and gearing up for a wonderful day, so I'm posting for her. She hath arisen with a new outlook, though her calorie challenge did not go well yesterday, having endeth with 2210. Not a bad effort, though. Her daily challenges today are 1) Eateth between 1700-1999 or less; 2) Take 5 extra fiber tablets as fiber regulateth blood sugar and helpeth fitness goals; 3) Finish overdue story and turn in to her employer; she saith this is related to her weight loss program as stress seems to impede her progress; 4) Do weights though she doesn't feel like exercising in this heat!

GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS!!!SARAHBELLA HATH CHASED AWAY A WHOPPING 2.5 POUNDS OF HER 5-POUND CHALLENGE!!! A WOO-HOO TO SARAHBELLA FOR A JOB WELL DONE! :)

Welcome to Dollar, Daughter and Kaylets!!! It's so motivating to see the spirit and challenges posted here. Because of everyone's inspiration, AMARANTHA IS MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER not to give up! She will posteth an updated list presently.

Amarantha2
08-15-2002, 09:35 AM

DOLLAR, FIVE DOWN BY, AUG. 27

DAUGHTER, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 3

GUINEVER, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 31

KAYLETS, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9

SARAHBELLA, FIVE DOWN BY AUG. 28, DOWN 2.25

Amarantha2
08-15-2002, 09:40 AM
P.S. Gtera, fear not the dreaded water weight gain ... remembereth that nature must taketh its course!!! :)

Signed, Elbertine Pep

WOO-HOO!

Punkinseed
08-15-2002, 10:09 AM
Good morning and happy Friday-eve!

Warm welcomes and hugs to Guinever, dollar and her daughter (both of whom are a lot lighter already!) and Kaylets, my goal buddy!

Sarah - Congrats on the awsome loss! :cp:

Snuck on the scale again... my "oh look, I've lost so I can binge now" weight is gone - I'm officially back where I was last Monday (gee, it only took 4 days), so it's all fresh weight loss from here (and NO, I'm not weighing again until Monday! I won't, I won't, I won't!!). :nono:

A headache kept me from walking last night, but I will tonight - I've already told my Mom and she wants to walk with me.

Have a great day everyone!

Terri

Amarantha2
08-15-2002, 10:46 AM
No, no, no, Q. Punkin o' Friday ... that sneak scale look was NOT an official weigh-in so it doesn't count! You KNOW that four days is not a long enough period to gauge a true weight loss or gain. It's just that silly ol' scale illusion thing. I'd bet by Monday, you'll be in good shape, though I'm sure you are already.

Great job in getting your Mom in tow for the walking program.

See you! I've pledge to focus on my job today and stay off the net. You can see it's working already! Hah! :)

jusdoit
08-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Happy Thursday all. I'm here to report a couple of "incidents" I had yesterday...one with a big fat piece of coffee cake and the other with a bottle of Chardonnay :o. HOWEVER, I was at the gym this a.m. at 5:30 and did 20 mins. on the bike/20 mins. running on the treadmill and 20 mins. of weights/abs. So, I'm on the road to recovery....

Sarah, you are SO HAPPENIN' :cool: . Excellent progress!

Welcome to Dollar, daughter, and Kaylets :) .

Back later.....

Guinever
08-15-2002, 03:04 PM
Hey Justdoit, what is one piece of coffee cake in the grand scheme of life anyway? Not a whole lot! Frankly I find being at the gym at 5:30 FAR more impressive, I didn't know there was a 5:30 in the morning now...they must have just invented it ;)

Keep it up everyone! We can make our goals!

Guinever

jusdoit
08-15-2002, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words Guinever!

I'm having a little "scale fright" today, but since my weigh-in day isn't until Monday, I have time to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!

FOCUS ON FIVE EVERYONE.

dollar
08-15-2002, 04:08 PM
Hi everyone,
glad to see you are all up to the challenge this is so great. I'm hoping to get out for my walk tonight my daughter and I usually walkthe dog 1st for 40 min with some intense frisbee in ther and then we head out a few minutes later and we do our walk. Each night we would add a block and try to do it in the same length of time. We were up to 10 blocks in 40 min. However due to a car accident 7 weeks ago I had to stop walking because of a concussion. Now I think Im ready to start again I have been walking the dog the last few days and while on vacation last week I managed to walk 4 blocks to the beach twice a day...a a slower pace of course. So I will now start at the beginning again and build it back up. Slowly but surely one step at a time. Have a good day ladies and keep up the great effort.

Punkinseed
08-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Good afternoon!

Amarantha, my dearest Empress dahling.... No, it doesn't count because it doesn't show the loss I KNOW I'm in for on Monday. What it did show however is when I behave like a :ink: it takes almost 1/2 a week for my body to undo all the water retention and get the sludge back outta my system. It also shows me that I do indeed need to keep my not so little, not so huge hiney offa the scale until the previously agreed on day.... the numbers after a huge meal mean nothing - but I've given them power (in the past, of course). :cbg:

dollar - I'm sorry about the car accident and glad you're ok! You sound like you're recovering nicely - probably better than the car is anyway! I'll be walking tonight "mother and daughter style" too!

Jusdoit - You know, it sounds like you've got the give and take thing down pretty well. Those splurges aren't gonna kill you in the long run when you maintain your healthy lifestyle. Yea, have your cake - and hit the gym, not just as "punishment", but so you can indulge occasionally! Bravo!!!!

Off to drink my now verboten water. Whatta buncha b.s....

Glug, glug,
Terri

Guinever
08-15-2002, 10:43 PM
Hey! So I haven't weighed in yet, but I today I managed an incredible (for me at least) feat of willpower. So I run for 40 minutes everyday between 1 and 3, and if I miss my window of oppertunity I tend to just be lazy forget it. But today was going to be my 14th day in a row that I've excersized and I missed my normal running time (I was running errends), but I still managed to get off my butt and go, despite how much I didn't want to. I guess I'm just happy that I've proven to myself how much I want to do this. Plus, it gave me that much more hope in myself - and all of us for reaching our goals.

Keep it up everyone, I know we can do this!

Guinever

Amarantha2
08-16-2002, 09:42 AM
Guinever, that was a really good save on the running front!!! :dance: IMO you really reached a higher level of fitness behavior right there ... so many times I know I give up on exercise if I miss a morning workout. I try to come back and do a save later in the day, but it's just hard to get out of that "I missed my window of opportunity so I guess I'll take a nap" rut! Bravo for you! :cb:

This thread is now SIX PAGES long and Amarantha is happy to report to all you Royal Personages that there doesn't appear to be a negative thought on any of those six pages!!! :cb: Hooray! WITH SUCH POSITIVITY, THOSE FIVE POUNDS ARE BOUND TO BE HISTORY!!! :dance:

It mattereth not, though, if the exact five pounds or the exact challenge date of each POWER OF FIVE TEAM MEMBER is exactly meteth or if an adjustment must be made because THAT'S LIFE AND WE LIKE IT, RIGHT? :) You bet!

Elbertine Pep hath just reminded Amarantha that since the forum will likely be downeth as the wonderful 3FC management moveth it to a new server, Amarantha should post herself a challenge for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So here it is: One, Amarantha challengeth herself to eateth between 1600-1799 caloric units each day for the three days; two, Amarantha challengeth herself to weigh in on Sunday and not freak out over any wrong-way numbers nor get overconfident over any good numbers and not to forget her FIVE POUND CHALLENGE, WHICH SHE WILL NEVER GIVE UP BECAUSE AS SOMEONE IN SPORTS ONCE SAID, "It ain't over 'till it's over!" And Amarantha believeth it is never over. :cb:

Re Amarantha's Thursday challenge to herself (in pursuit of the overall FIVE POUND CHALLENGE), she reporteth success in the calorie department (had 1785); partial success in the fiber supplement department (3 out of the desired 5); great success in the getting work done department; success in the doing weights despite not wanting to department.

Have a great weekend everyone. Amarantha will reporteth and updateth when possible, not precluding anyone else updating the ROSTER OF FIVE if they so desireth or starting a new thread or anything else they should desireth because we are the TEAM OF THE POWER OF FIVE and YES, WE CAN DO IT!!! YOU BET!!! :cb:

Punkinseed
08-16-2002, 10:38 AM
Yes, as the wise Empress Amarantha just stated we're probably going to be down for a bit...

Have an awsome weekend everyone and I'll "see" you all next week. Today will be spent doing minimal work and reading my back issues of People magazine.

Guinever - That is AWSOME!!!! I almost flaked on my Mom last night. We were supposed to walk at 7:30pm, but I fell asleep in my chair (after dinner of course) around 5:30 and really didn't think I was going to make it - I didn't WANT to make it, I wanted to crawl into bed and call it a day. But, I forced my sleepy eyelids open, took a walk around my house noting all the repairs that need to be done for my 1 yr. warranty check up and at 7:30 we walked!
Yea Guinever, Terri, Terri's Mom and everyone else who ever thought "I'm not gonna" then did it ANYWAY!!! :dancer:

Happy Friday!

Terri :wave:

jusdoit
08-16-2002, 12:47 PM
Great observation Amarantha - SIX (now 7) PAGES OF POSITIVE POWER!!! We are sooo cool :cool: .

Guinever, that truly is an awesome feat! We've all been there and not been able to get our tootsies out the door. What an accomplishment when you actually do it - GREAT JOB :D .

Terri, same goes for you - GREAT JOB getting your walk in. Especially at that time of night. I would have been stuck to the couch ;) . Enjoy your well-deserved "minimal work" day!

Welp, I've got my work cut out for me this weekend as weigh-in is Monday. It's time for an ENDORPHIN FEST :lol:

Have an excellent weekend everyone :strong: .

sweetmom
08-16-2002, 05:01 PM
Hi Everyone!

It's exciting to see how many participate in this community. I actually started my weight loss journey on July 22. So far I have lost 5 lbs and I'm going strong!

Now, I am working on my next 5 lbs by 9/1. My trick is to not focus on weight loss at all! I focus on revising my eating habits and adding excercise to my routine. The latter is the more difficult.

Stay posted!

Byrd
08-16-2002, 08:40 PM
sweetmom, sounds like you're doing great!!!!!! Keep up the good work :cbg:

Well, I believe everyone is set for the w/e. I can tell you now that I know I'm not going to meet my goal by Monday......the scale hasn't moved ANY this week (remember I peek every day :o ) That's OK though because Monday is sort of an exciting day for me in other ways.......I'm starting a new school for my LAST year (finally) of school. I'm 31 yo, divorced, w/2 children & am finally going to have my Elem. Ed. (K-8) degree in MAY:cb: :cb: :cb: I should have had it many years ago, but quit when I got married; yet I finally went back to school for it when I got divorced. Can you tell I'm excited that I'm almost there?????

Have a great w/e everyone!!!!!!!!

Amarantha2
08-16-2002, 11:32 PM
Welcome Sweetmom!!! I'm so glad you are joining us! :) I'll add your name to the list tomorrow unless the forum goes down (or you can by cutting and pasting) ... have to lie down actually ... not to be unpositive after I just said how positive we are, but I feel somewhat unwell right now ... really need to sleep for a long time. Not hungry anyway! :)

Byrd: I'm so glad for you on the educational front. I got my bachelor's degree at a very "adult" age while working full time as an editor ... took nine years. Now I'm going backwards and getting an associate of applied science in chemical dependency counseling, although that's not necessarily what I'm going to do when I change careers (hopefully) ... it was just the most feasible program accessible to me.

Later, guys! If I missed any new people, I'll be back (best Arnold voice).

bobsgal
08-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Hey ladies. I lost 1 lb this week so that's 4 more by Sept 1. Yea me!
Steph

wsw
08-18-2002, 05:19 PM
hi everyone!

i hope it's o.k. if i join in. i lose weight very slowwwwwly, so normally i wouldn't even be brave enough to do this, but i need a little push, so here goes:

my goal for 5 more lbs.: sept. 18.

thanks for letting me sneak in. i hope you're all having a good weekend. take care. all the best.

wsw

Byrd
08-18-2002, 06:29 PM
WOW, bobsgal, I'm impressed!!!!!!!! Way to go :dance: :dance:

Welcome wsw....good to have you on board :wave:

Amarantha, during the years I also recieved an A.S. degree in Management Technology/Legal Assistant, but where I live it's practically useless. Also, working for lawyers wore thin (if you know what I mean) :devil: I've just always wanted to work with children & I'm finally going to do it.

Hope everyone has had a terrific w/i & I'll be posting my wonderful :dz: weight tomorrow (& my new target date).

Guinever
08-18-2002, 07:23 PM
Way to go bobsgal! Keep it up, 4 pounds sounds like so much less than 5, doesn't it? I guess it's like the whole $39.99 vs. $40 trick - but it'll get your mind set up to lose.

As for me, I finally broke my stupid weight platue and I'm down 1 pound! I thought I wasn't going to make my deadline, but my normal routine is hitting those 5 pound levels (165, 160, etc..) and staying there for days until all of a sudden it breaks and the rest of those 5 melt off fast.

So how do you guys get through platues without getting discouraged? Do you have any tricks for breaking them?

Good luck all!

Guinever

Amarantha2
08-18-2002, 10:29 PM
Here we are on the new server but we have so many pages I can't get to the list to cut and paste! My printer is too slow to print the thread. It won't let me click on review the whole thread either. Anyhow, I'm going to figure this out and post a new thread, if no one minds!!! Welcome to all you new folks ... wow, so much great spirit ... Signed, Elbertine Pep

P.S. Emp. Amarantha's challenge hath suffered a reversal and she hath GAINED another half pound. She is NOT giving up, though. I have reminded her that she is at the last week of a six-week initiative she started the week she first posted about the spa and daily challenges and that at that time she weighed TWO pounds more than she weighed in today. She is a slow loser and hath suffered many reversals (binges) in the past six weeks but feels pleased overall with the good habits she is building and knows she will lose the five pounds by her challenge date (and if not she'll change the date)!

The new thread cometh! Soon! Posteth there if you so desireth!

:dance: :cb:

dollar
08-19-2002, 09:17 AM
Hi Ladies,
Well I didn't manage to get my big walk in with my daughter because I have been so tired after going back to work this week which was a big challenge for me. so when we walked the dog and everyone else shot baskets (I can't do that again yet) I decided to walk around the infield of the ball diamond and I did that about 15 times at a leisurely pace. The next night I did it again but I really picked up the pace and went about 25 times around. so last night we walked around the whole school field twice. so I'm getting there.
I don't think Im going to do well this week at weigh in we went out to eat at Montanna's on Fri and I wasn't very good I had ribs wings soup garlic bread and Mile high mud pie, I haven't done anything like that since I started my diet in Feb. but oh well I got back on the band wagon the next day. Well I have to run I have to get ready for work. I let you know how I do after weigh in tomorrow night.

Amarantha2
08-19-2002, 12:04 PM
Hi, Dollar! Hey, you are doing GREAT ... you made a super save there on the infield by getting your walk in and that determination is a mark of how good you ARE going to do this week, even if you have a bad day, the overall changes you are making will mark you for success!!!

Hope it's ok, but I'm pasting your post into the new thread (we were getting kinda long here). Don't forget to come back and post there tomorrow. Don't worry which direction the scale's going ... as you can read in the other thread, I went up this week and I'M MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER!!! GOTTA RUN!!! See you on the new thread!

sweetmom
08-19-2002, 03:23 PM
OK, now I'm really psyched! I weighed in on Saturday and found that I lost another 3 lbs. That's 8 total! I definitely think I'm going to make my goal of 2 more pounds by 9/1.

I found that by planning ahead, I can (usually) stay within my calorie goal of 1100-1200 per day. To do this, I created a spreadsheet that lists my favorite foods and their calories. With this quick reference, I can post a menu for the week that includes all meals & snacks. Not only has this helped with food consumption, but also with shopping and communication within the family.

Amarantha2
08-19-2002, 05:37 PM
Sweetmom: Hooray! You are doing wonderfully. I will post your message and your roster update on the new thread!

TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM OF FIVE POUNDS DOWN: PLEASE DON'T POST ON THIS THREAD, POST ON THE FIVE POUND CHALLENGE #2 THREAD INSTEAD ... Be there or be square! Woo-hoo to all!

:cb]