General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Smile FIREMEN Recipes ANYONE?

One of my nephews, married to one of my niece's, is on the waiting list to be a full time fireman He has graduated from the Academy and is an EMT right now....

he also gets to work a few days a week at one of the stations in our area...doing the "grunt" work...rookies!

Anyway, one of his jobs is to cook for them from time to time. Last week he asked me..."Uncle Gary, the food you and Aunt Angie make around here when we all come over is really awesome...could you maybe give me the recipes of some of the meals to help me out on this cooking thing at the station?"

We have a few recipes in mind to hand over...was thinking maybe some of you here would have some too Maybe some of you have had experience with what firemen like these days...Angie's dad was a fireman and he cooked but that was at a time when the cooking wasn't as sophisticated as it is now for those guys I saw the Firemen Cook-Off on Rachael Ray...wow!...it ain't all chili

I would say they could be healthy or maybe not so healthy...a mix for them is good...not too difficult and for I would say about 10 men....

A little help for our heros?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

My husbands father used to make this a lot when my husband was a kid. It's called a Firehouse Frittorta and is a frugal gourmet recipe. I'd type it out for you, but I'm at work , so here's a link:

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Frittorta

I bet if your nephew doubled it, it would feed 10 hungry firemen with additional sides. It's really tasty.

EDIT: I make this in a 9x13 pan and it works just fine. I also substitute an organic onion soup mix for the knorr and omit the salt (too salty for me.) I guess I'm just saying that the recipe can be adjusted and it turns out great!

Last edited by zenor77; 12-28-2009 at 05:39 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

That looks GOOD ZENOR....I will pass it along and I think I will make it for myself!

Thanks so much!!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #4  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

This is my Jambalaya recipe. It looks harder than it is. Trust me.

I put the rice on to cook then start chopping the vegetables for the Jambalaya. I let it simmer until the rice is finished then proceed so the whole thing takes just a little over an hour to make. But if this rice recipe is still too time-consuming other rice can be used.

I actually like a little more cayenne, but I like spicier food. I say start with 1/4 tsp and taste before adding more.

Menfolk love this stuff! I have 6 blue-collar big brothers that give this their seal of approval. It's suggested that Charlie Daniels be played at a high volume while this is being prepared.

Jambalaya of Wooly Swamp (Yes, I like to give my recipes silly names)

1/4 cp. canola oil
1 lb. Andouille sausage*
1 lb. chicken meat*
1 lb. shrimp*
2 cp. white onion, chopped
1 cp. celery, chopped
1 cp. green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cp. flour
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper (freshly ground)
1 tsp. thyme
2-3 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 recipe baked brown rice (see below)

Heat oil in large pot. Add chicken and fry until a golden color develops. Add sausage and cook until sausage begins to brown.

Add onion, celery, green bell pepper and garlic. Cook until onions are tender. Add flour. Stir until oil is absorbed and mixture starts to brown. Add tomatoes and spices.

Simmer until 10 minutes before serving. Add shrimp. Cook for 5 minutes then add rice. Heat for another 5 minutes then fish out the bay leaves before serving.

Baked Brown Rice (courtesy of Alton Brown)

1 1/2 cp. brown rice
2 1/2 cp. water
1 tbs. olive oil or butter
1 tsp. kosher salt

Heat oven to 375*. Measure rice into 9" square glass baking dish. Bring water, oil and salt to a boil. Pour water over rice. Stir, cover with foil and cook for 1 hour. Fluff with a fork before serving.

*NOTES:
The meat in this recipe can be altered
1 lb. sausage - Andouille is popular
1 lb. shellfish - shrimp or crawfish are traditional but scallops work well for a less fishy flavor
1 lb. meat - chicken, pork, turkey or ham

Last edited by Metal Chick; 12-28-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added the bit about fishing out the bay leaves
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

THANKS METAL CHICK!!!

I can't wait to try this one for myself too!!!

This is really going to help my nephew gals!!!!