Simply Filling/Core - Weekly Core Chat: Dec. 28-Jan. 3

View Full Version : Weekly Core Chat: Dec. 28-Jan. 3

Tejas
12-28-2009, 10:11 AM
New Pages!

:carrot:

Tejas
12-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Rise and shine everyone! The morning sun is shining through my family room window, it's 28F outside, and I'm off to aquafit class and my new gym. All is right with the world here, and I hope it is where you are. If it's not, see what you can do to change it!

Rhonda

ontarget
12-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Good morning. Rhonda, you sound very perky this morning. I think pre-retirement is treating you well.

The sun is out here. It's a gorgeous day. I'm meeting some girlfriends today.

Vickie
12-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Good Morning Chicks! No sun here, except in my heart. I'm back from JC and on my way back out for errands and banking. I stayed the same this week. I'm eternally grateful since my scale was quite up the other day, as I mentioned.

I was back on program yesterday and so far today. I cleaned out several cabinets yesterday. I need to start treadmilling again in the morning. My JC Counselor was hoping I'd lose. Apparently I did better than many others.

What do you all have planned for New Years Eve?

I'll be back later.

blessedwithsarah
12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Happy Monday. I'm back to work today -- very, very quiet here. Most are out this week which is one reason I like having last week off and working this week. Great catch up week.

Doing well foodwise. Its sooooo much easier when I'm at work! My scale is up once again but I'm going to wait until Friday to reset my targets. I like having Friday as my "official" WI day.

Nothing really planned on New Years eve -- probably get lobsters and steamers for dinner. Hopefully I'll be awake at midnight. Usually I don't make it.

Vickie - glad JC scale likes you! Its easier to have an official stay the same than a gain. Did you scale still show you up today? It may be worth noting the difference between yours and JCs.

Rhonda - love the PJs and the new picture! It was warmer here in MA than in TX today! It was about 35 this morning. Then tonight through the weekend we are back in the 20s during the day and single digits in the am. Oh well, it is winter. Finally all the snow from before Christmas is gone.

Have a good day!

ontarget
12-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Vickie, congratulations on staying the same. I think that's really a loss. You did great.

Paula, we may have more snow tomorrow. What happened to the global warming? Congrats on being back op. I am, too.

Tejas
12-28-2009, 11:31 PM
OOH, Vickie, don't talk about cleaning. Last night I was on the floor looking at the dishwasher near the floor. You wouldn't believe the filth I found. Oh yuck, yuck, yuck...it's clean now!

I went to step aerobics at the gym. Ouch! It was fun, but I will be feeling it tomorrow. I hope that I can actually move to get to the 9AM spin class.

My eating is slowly coming back in line....after all the fruitcake is gone :lol:

Have a great evening everyone.

Rhonda

ontarget
12-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Oooooooh, Rhonda, don't look under dishwashers. That's a no no.

Vickie
12-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Good Morning Chicks! My scale is back up this morning about 1.4! Glad I weighed in yesterday. Back on the treadmill today. That should help.

Tejas
12-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the housecleaning tip, Sandra. I should have talked to you first. Then, I could have missed the grease and pet hair combo!

Vickie, good luck with the treadmill. I haven't even admitted that I've put on four pounds...most of it related to the last 12 days of partying before I left Toronto. By Jan. 1 that is going to be GONE.

Off to try the spinning class.

More snow is forecast for the region, but not much.

Rhonda

ontarget
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
We got a package of sweets from Curtis' daughter today. I indulged.

Rhonda, sounds like you definitely did the right thing. I vacuumed yesterday. Does that count?

The snow is coming down in huge flakes now. I love seeing Christmas lights when it's snowing.

blessedwithsarah
12-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi all. Great news, I'm a great-aunt again!! Sydney Rose was born today....my niece's new daughter. DD is soooo happy to no longer be the youngest.

Its freezing here today -- I did get out for a walk with the dog, but only a 1/2 mile. Tooooo wiiiiinddddyyyyy. I took dd to see the new Alvin and the Chimpmunk movie today. Very cute movie.

Rhonda, never thought to look under the dishwasher...or the stove. Hmmmmmm, its only been 10 years since we did the kitchen over.

Sandra, snow???? Wow. Does that happen often?

Vickie, congrats on doing the treadmill!

Tejas
12-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Congratulations to you and your family, Paula, on the birth of Sydney Rose. I have 10 greats and three great-greats. Just racking them up!

I didn't go to spinning today. I couldn't find my pants with the padded seat, and that is necessary. I thought I might go to something else, but I stayed home, sat in the hot tub, napped and organized my closet.

I'll do some free weights tonight and go to aquafit in the morning.

I hope you're all having a good night.

Rhonda

ontarget
12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Paula, congrats on Sydney Rose.

Rhonda, you continue to impress me with your exercising. Now tell us about these padded seat pants. Where did you get them?

I'm bored. We've watched 2 movies. I think I'll get off the puter and do some shooting.

Tejas
12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
The padded seat pants are made especially for cyclists. I didn't buy them; they were a gift from my friend I stayed with in Toronto.

They have disappeared into thin air it seems. I had them out, then couldn't find my shoes, found those, then couldn't find the pants. Strange indeed.

I just bought a great book at Barnes and Noble. It's called The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises, written by Adam Campbell, published by Rodale Press, 2010. There are NO excuses now. :barbell: :exercise:

Rhonda

ontarget
12-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Rhonda, maybe you have some gremlins around. Thanks for the head's up on the book.

I'm heading into Cleburne to get a pedicure and haircut/color. Life is good.

Tejas
12-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I found the pants :woohoo:

They were where I put them, if you can imagine that :dunno:

I bought a new bathing suit and it is a size 14 :cheer:

I'm off to the step aerobics class in an hour, and will do spinning in the morning (if I can move!)

Rhonda

Vickie
12-30-2009, 07:57 PM
14.....what a dream. Congratulations on your hard work, my friend!

ontarget
12-30-2009, 09:32 PM
14! Congratulations. You've worked hard and now it's paying off for you. That's great.

Vickie
12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm off Lipitor. It didn't agree with me. I feel great today and will walk on the treadmill. My Doc is not in until Monday so I guess the new statin will have to wait until then.

We are having a lovely early dinner out and then will snuggle with some movies. What's up with all of you?

sloanie
12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey chicks! We're back, and we had a wonderful time!! It is so good to have time to forget everything about your real life and just have fun! Now, back to reality. I will try to be brave and get on the scales in the morning (I'm avoiding it today). Tonight, we will celebrate the New Year with family so eating will not be good, again! Oh well.

Sounds like everyone has been doing well and having a great holiday! I agree with the statement that a few days of over-indulging is not our problem. It is a lifetime of over-indulging that has gotten me in trouble.

I am going to try to attach a couple of photos from our trip. The one with the two girls is of me and DD. I am the one with the glasses :lol: The other photo is my DH Vance, DD Kendal, and DS Eric.

Vickie
12-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Sloan, you are a DOLL! What a handsome....and happy looking family. We are all so lucky and blessed, aren't we? I'm so glad you had fun. You'll be back on program in no time. I plan to indulge a bit tonight too.

ontarget
12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Sloan, thank you soooooo much for sharing the photos. It's great to see what you and your family look like. And what a handsome, happy family! It makes me smile just seeing you all.

Vickie, WW has new 1 pt chocolate cakes/chocolate icing/chocolate cream centers. They have them also in lemon. Am I excited or what! We'll be staying home tonight. We'd been invited to a party but Curtis is still nursing a bad cold and doesn't want to expose everyone.

Tejas
12-31-2009, 04:37 PM
See, Sandra was right...sexy name, and sexy Sloan! Thanks for the pictures.

I went to spinning class today, and it was very good. The teacher was one of the ones who does the aquafit classes. She has a bubbly personality, a great smile and lots of energy.

My great indulgence tonight is going to be a big piece of Texas Sheet Cake that I made. It looks a mess, but is sooooo good :drool:

My niece and her family, and my nephew and most of his family are coming for Tex-Mex tonight. I have enough food to feed us all, so do drop in!

Rhonda

ontarget
12-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Sounds tempting, Rhonda. Guess we'll stay in and nurse Curtis' cold.

Have a wonderful New Year, everyone!:elf::newyear::elf:

sloanie
12-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Aw shucks, Rhonda, you're the sexy one in those Santa pj's! I love your picture, it is super cute! Tex mex sounds tempting, but we've been on the road a lot over the last few days, so I'm gonna pass. Eat some of that Texas sheet cake for me! That's what I ended up making for my parents' anniversary last week, and it was ugly and yummy, too!

:xcheer::newyear::xcheer: chickies!!!

sloanie
01-01-2010, 10:51 AM
WELCOME TO 2010 CHICKS !!!

Tejas
01-01-2010, 12:29 PM
:newyear:

All is well here, hope it is with you also!

Rhonda

beach bum
01-01-2010, 01:20 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR LADIESI hope that this year we all meet our goals in weight loss and also in our goals for life.

Arrives safely at my DD's but the trip was long,7 hours on the bus, and another 1/2 hr on the LIRR. My son met me at Port Authority Bus Depot and took a ride with me on the RR to my DD's.

Had a wonderful Christmas with my DD and the Grandchildren. I'm still at my DD's and we be here until next Tuesday.

Had snow last night hopefully it will melt by the time I start traveling again.

Glad you gals did so good in maintaining and exercising during the holidays.I'm just the opposite have a feeling I'm gained badly as I'm not doing the cooking with portion sizes that are enormous, and no activity is being done either.I'm afraid I did reach me goal this year either.

Have to go will be back,some time before I leave for home.

Vickie
01-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Happy New Year, Chicks!

I was up until 1:30 and slept late. My schedule is all off. I'm going to go eat some food and then treadmill. More movies are in my future.

ontarget
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Happy New Year!!

All is well here, too. We had our black-eyed peas, so 2010 should be a good year. The weather is gorgeous and I'm very tempted to work in the yard. Other than that, we're watching bowl games and I'm also working on our archery schedule.

Maryann, whatever you might have gained should come off quickly. You do extremely well. Wish I weighed what you weigh.

I weighed this am (first time in quite awhile) and found I've stayed the same.) I'll take it and be happy about it. That means I'm still 10 pounds lighter than when we were in Ohio back in August. That's not 1 pound a week, but it's something.

Rhonda, I just ordered me a tankini/swim shorts/swim briefs online. I have thought of what I can do for :swim: I'll go to Hulen Park and :swim: in the heated lap pool. I believe it's $3 or $3.50 per visit. I'm wasting my club membership at the fitness center, but I think this is something I'll actually do as the pool is about 5 minutes from our place. There won't be a class, but I can "jog", etc... in the lap lanes.

Vickie, I'm going to :ebike: in a few minutes instead of working in the yard. I doubt I'll do both. It's gorgeous out but still a little chilly.

Have a fabulous FIRST, everyone.

Vickie
01-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Better than the 15 degrees it is here, I'll wager!

Congratulations on the 10 pounds. Mine isn't 1 pound a week either, but I'll take it. My wise friend Rhonda says even a half pound a week adds up to 26 pounds in a year!

Vickie
01-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I did my treadmill but I did NOT want to. I'm off to eat dinner now. YUM!

ontarget
01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
That is wise. Enjoy your dinner. I did my :ebike:, too.

sloanie
01-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey chicks! I have not exercised today, but I did spend several hours with DD sorting, cleaning, and organizing her stuff for moving back in to her room. We had just piled stuff up when she came home, so our goal was to do a "clean sweep" and get her moved back in. We got most everything done, so now all she has to do is finish her laundry from our trip, and she should be settled. I can't believe that I will be back to school on Monday! I've got tons to do!!!!

Maryann, I'm happy to hear from you! It sounds like your holiday has been good. I still have not weighed, but I think I am in the same boat as you. We will have to get busy and get these extra pounds off.

Sandra and Vickie, way to go on the exercise! You go, girls!!

I have finally entered technology land! I can't believe it took me so long to figure out how to add my picture as my avatar!

Hey Rhonda :wave:

Tejas
01-02-2010, 01:08 AM
Yikes...I forgot the black eyed peas..there's still time!

nancy237
01-02-2010, 01:16 AM
We had a great visit with relatives in Ohio after Christmas.

Oh my..I thought I was being very careful about my eating but I have gained
2 pounds since Christmas. I must start exercising to get this under control.

I went out to eat tonight with friends and got the salmon salad that was
just about the best thing I have ever eaten. It had feta cheese and asparagus
on it and I had a glass of wine which I do about once a year LOL.
Perfect evening with friends.

Tejas
01-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Good Morning:

I highly recommend that everyone go to the "goal" section on 3FC and read "Lori Bell's" story. It is really inspirational. She lost 180 pounds in 2 years.

We ate some black-eyed peas, so we're safe now! I have never-ever forgotten those. Normally, I have my big meal on New Year's Day and don't forget, but the schedule got changed this year. See---on the first day of retirement, I lost my memory. And, on New Year's Eve I dreamed that I was going back to work to teach a few courses. Uh huh...not doing that.

I have my assessment at the gym today. I know that these appointments are to sell personal trainer services, and I just might fall for it. I loved having a trainer in Toronto. Of course, she was a friend and gave me special prices, so it's quite a different situation. We'll see.

I walked for about 3 hours yesterday. The first hour was with the dog. ( I don't think I've told you that we have DH's daughter's 9 year old Husky now). Then, 8 family members went on a two hour hike at a local state park. It has been so long since I've hiked in a state park. I enjoyed myself immensely.

Today I am also going to work out my own exercise routine using the book I told you about. I'm looking forward to that.

Sloan, it's too bad that you have to go back to work. I really need help getting organized :lol: I'm so glad that your daughter is at home. She, no doubt, really needs some time to feel safe and trust the universe again.

BBL,
Rhonda

sloanie
01-02-2010, 10:56 AM
More festivities today, ugh! Will it ever end? We have a family anniversary party today and a birthday party tomorrow!!! I am officially horrified that I have gained 7 pounds since before Thanksgiving :( I will "watch it" for the next two days and start hard core on Monday with journaling, water, and walking. I am so glad I have you chicks because I think I would not be so determined if it weren't for y'all. I need some kicks in the butt and a personal coach. Help!!!!

Rhonda, I read the Lori Bell story. Wow! It is amazing what determination can do. Thanks for recommending her story!!! Good luck with the fitness eval. Let us know how it goes.

Hey to the rest of you chicks! Hope you all have a great day!

ontarget
01-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Sloan and Rhonda, I love your new avatars. You girls are cute!!

Sloan, I remember how holidays would sail past when I was teaching. It's amazing how much more slowly they go now.

I did 20 min :ebike: so far today. My goal for this week is 5 times @ 40 min a day. I'll do my other 20 min later today while we watch a movie. I'm heading out to weed the big rosebed when I get off here.

Rhonda, I'm testing the peas. I bought a TX Lottery ticket today.

Nancy, 2 lbs is almost maintaining. I think you did well. Your salmon salad sounds yummy.

Rhonda, I thought you'd be getting a pet soon. I'm glad you have a good walking buddy now. Your neighborhood is perfect for walking. You already know this but there are oodles of state parks around. Enjoy!

Sloan, you'll get those extra pounds off quickly. You sound like a woman with a plan. I am not doing Core now but don't want to leave this board. Ya'll are all family. What I'm doing is allowing myself 29 pts per day. I made myself a sheet that looks like this:

Monday 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14,
15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

I use an orange highlighter to circle pts as I consume them--starting @ 29. That way I can see how many pts I have left for the day. If I have pts left at the end of the day, I can always circle them on another day if needed.

This sounds a little silly, but it's working for me. So far, I'm not feeling hungry at all. Twenty-nine is quite a few points. I also draw a circle for each 10 min on :ebike:. This week I should have 4 circles under each weekday name.

What are some "tricks" some of you are using? I'm always ready to hear ideas.

Rhonda, I'll read Lori's story later today after I work in the yard.

Have a splendid Saturday, everyone.

nancy237
01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Hubby just decided to try the Nutrisystem meals. I am glad because
I think it will be easy for him to follow and help him learn portion control.
I don't say much but his portions are sometimes 3x's what they should be.
I could not do that plan because I like fresh, quality foods.

My plan is to cook meals after he ends the plan that will make it easy for him to
trasnfer to regular food. He is a basic foods type so I need to find
things that will fit that . He likes the Diet Coke Sloppy Joe.

ontarget
01-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Sloan, it sounds like your hubby has a good plan--and so do you.

Curtis

ontarget
01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Sloan, it sounds like your hubby has a good plan--and so do you.

Curtis does :ebike: and :goodscale daily. He's talking about going back to the club to workout. I'm going to go to the local pool :swim: to workout on my own. (lap pool)

sloanie
01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey chicks, I just got back from the anniversary party, and we had a great time. BTW, my DH is not the one with the plan. My DH is diabetic and does pretty well with his eating. He monitors his A1C and his doc is pretty happy with how he is doing. Nancy's DH is the one that is gonna try nutrisystem, and I am wishing him well!

Nancy, it is hard to give food advice to these men, isn't it? They have to come up with a plan for themselves or they won't stick to it. I hope your hubby likes nutrisystem. I have always thought it sounded like a good plan.

Rhonda, thanks for the kind words about DD. I am trying not to pressure, but from what she is saying, it sounds like she is on the right track. She has joined 3FC and plans to post on the 20 something threads. She has also started a journal for her "fresh start".

Sandra, the holiday has flown past. I'm sure that being out of town for almost a week made it seem even shorter 'cause there was not much down time. Thanks for the compliment on our photos; we are cute, aren't we? I'll bet that eventhough you are using your point chart, you are still choosing core foods. Don't stop posting; we will miss you too much!

Hey Vickie!

Tejas
01-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I went for my fitness assessment only to be told that the trainer wasn't there. I KNOW she told me Jan. 2nd, but it's not a problem. The gym is 10 minutes from my house. They have added on more aquafit classes also.
The aquafit is really good, and I put a lot into it...sleeping really well too.

Speaking of DH's and portion control. Believe me, my DH isn't interested but from time to time he does note that he didn't need to eat so much...so, he is noticing. The Bowflex is still in the box, but this week I'm going to directly ask him to set it up.

We went to Chili's for lunch and I ordered a salad with grilled chicken, no sauce, no dressing. I didn't eat any bread either. I'm back on track now and think I'll count points for a while also.

I'm packing up Christmas decor tonight. I hope you're all having a good evening.

Rhonda

ontarget
01-03-2010, 12:09 AM
My bad. I goofed and typed "Sloan" instead of "Nancy." Nancy, good success to your hubby on his plan.

Sloan, I'm not leaving. I eat a lot of core foods but not as much as I should. I understand your thinking the holidays flew. Traveling helps time fly, doesn't it? Congratulations to your dd. It sounds like she has a good plan,too.

Rhonda, Doyle is taking those baby steps. He'll get there. Looks like you have a good plan, too. I know you'll do well. You've definitely heard the proverbial "click."

sloanie
01-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Nighty night, chicks!

sloanie
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Back to school tomorrow :dizzy: I'm going to the grocery today so I can get some meals ready for the week. I also have to work on some lesson plans, laundry, and general straightening up. Before I get started, I think I will jump on my mini-trampoline. Wish me luck! BBL

Tejas
01-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I wish you luck, Sloan. This is the first Sunday (not counting holidays) since August, 1975 that I haven't had to think about work the next day! :woohoo:

jeanies
01-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been slowly reading over my first weeks materials. I said I wasn't going to count points and just do simply filling foods but the last two days I have counted the points. I'm thinking maybe I should go through the pocket guide and make a list of the simply filling foods and use that as my daily eating guide.
How of some of you handled this? Thanks Jeanie

ontarget
01-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Jeanie, I think you should do what will work best for you. Some of us do strictly core; some don't. I wish you the best of success whatever you choose.

Rhonda, you're just now about to realize that you are truly retired. Enjoy yourself, Cuz. You're going to love it!

sloanie
01-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Jeanie, I'm with Sandra. Just do what is easiest/best for you. It is good that the simply filling foods are indicated in the booklet, so you can choose them more often or even exclusively.

Rhonda, I don't want to wish my life away, but I would love to be in your shoes! Enjoy ;)

Sandra, will you be subbing this semester? I'm already wishing for a snow day:snowglo:

Tomorrow is the big day! Seven pounds to go!!!!

ontarget
01-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Sloan, I'd love to sub for you. Wish I could. Yes, I am planning to sub this semester. I'm already booked for 1 day in January and another in April. I'd like to average 2 days a week if possible.

Tejas
01-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Jeanie, I agree with Sloan and Sandra. Do what you can do best and keep doing it. I go back and forth on counting, now in a period of starting to count again. But, the main point is to eat heathily.

Boy, oh boy, I'm going to sleep in tomorrow morning...I might make until 7AM!

Rhonda

jeanies
01-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I'll just do the counting for now and move onto simply filling once I get used to things. First weigh in is Saturday so I'll see how it goes. Sounds like we are all gearing up for a new week I have been off for a break of almost 2 weeks. I am a nanny for a school teacher and she has been off for christmas break and right before that the schools were closed for three days due to snow so I am really off schedule. I will probably be tired tomorrow since I have been sleeping in late getting to bed early enough tonight will be a challenge. Have a great Monday everyone. Jeanie

sloanie
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Rhonda, I'll be thinking about you in the morning when I get up! Enjoy your extra sleep!

Sandra, just let me know when you are ready to sub for me. I'll be glad to have some "retail therapy"