Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #1  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Plus Size Swimsuits

Hello Ladies!

I imagine looking for a swimsuit at this time of year means that online will be my likely option and googling plus size swimsuits brings up so many options I am turning to you for help!

I currently have a regular one-piece that I bought at Walmart a couple years ago but it is now too big and the straps keep sliding down. I currently do water aerobics once a week as part of my workout routine but am also planning to start incorporating swimming laps once a week as well.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good place (either in-person or online) to find swimsuits in our sizes? I'm looking for something more on the sporty side versus the appearance and would like to not have to spend a ton of money, either.

Thanks!

Last edited by LitChick; 12-27-2009 at 09:40 PM.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

LandsEnd.com has a great swimsuit selection. Not sure about this time of year, but they have a lot to choose from during the summer. They categorize their suits by what would be good for various body types, which is helpful.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I always check bcoutlet first because the deals are AWESOME (it's the outlet store for Roaman's, Woman Within, Jessica London, the Avenue and all of the other Redcat owned stores).

http://www.bcoutlet.com/Discount-Swi...x?DeptId=14889

then, if I don't find anything there - I go to

Onestopplus.com

which is the combined catalog (on both websites you'll also find links to the individual store if you find that you like one company's line much better than the others).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #4  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I second Lands End. They carry a wide variety of styles to fit a wide range of shapes.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I got a miracle suit at cyberswim.com. It's the cutest suit I've ever had. I transitioned to it from a suit with a skirt....the miracle suits are made of a kind of spanxy material-- they are great for swimming and sporty looking and provide excellent support.

Landsend also has a cute selection
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/190

Height: 5'9"

I got my suit at Junonia this summer - I found one on eBay for cheaper than their website. I hate wearing swimsuits, but this is one I would recommend, for coverage, support, & style.
bcort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

I just bought a lovely tankini at Lands End. It fits well and is made of good material.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

I agree that Lands End suits are well made, but I can't find a size to fit me. I need the long torso, but I also need the larger top, and they don't combine the two. BOOO. Like the original poster, the suit I have is too big and I often feel like I'm going to lose the straps, and the bra doesn't fit me tight enough. I'm off to check Kaplods' links.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

lane bryant and dillards are the only places ive bought plus sized suits. they are nice but the selection isnt too great. I'll have to check out landsend!
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

wow! lands end even has plus sized bikinis!
dont worry. i'll spare you all the glimpse of my belly just yet =0P
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #11  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the replies, you've been very helpful!

I first went to the outlet place Kaplods posted and found the perfect suit for only $13.99! But then I went to check out and they didn't have my size. Bummer! What a great site, though - I have bookmarked it and will check back again when suits are back in season and hopefully they'll have more selection.

Right now I'm debating between one on onestopplus or land's end. The suits at cybersuit and junonia are very pretty but a little too pricey for my budget, especially since I (hopefully!) won't be able to wear it in a few months.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitChick View Post
Thanks for all the replies, you've been very helpful!

I first went to the outlet place Kaplods posted and found the perfect suit for only $13.99! But then I went to check out and they didn't have my size. Bummer!

That's the only problem with the site - you've got to check it frequently, because stuff sells out FAST.

I did buy my last suit there, super cheap (about $15, I think). Unfortunately I hate it. It's not the suit's fault - all the colors except black had sold out, and I ordered the black anyway because the deal was so good. I just hate solid black swimsuits (technically there's a bit of white piping across the chest). I don't mind the "biker short" style bottoms, but I don't really care for loose shorts or split skirt bottoms (they accentuate my Humpty Dumpty abdomen) or blouson tops (again making me even Humptier and Dumptier). Of course my suit has all of those (it's probably the Humptiest, Dumptiest suit I've ever owned). I just didn't realize how much it would matter (I don't swim as often as I did when I liked my swim suit - kind of silly).

I like the swim dress styles, but I really needed a two piece (with joint and mobility/flexibility issues, it's a lot easier to get in and out of a wet 2pc swimsuit than a 1pc).

Unfortunately, it's apparently impossible to find a 2 piece that looks like a swim dress that isn't outrageously ugly (or outrageously expensive).

I found a neat site that has reasonably priced in very large and pear-shaped sizes (all the way to 9x. I'm around a 4X).http://sanctuarie-net.stores.yahoo.net/nebasuswdr.html

I'm hesitant to buy though, because they recommend wearing your own bra under their swimsuits, because they don't have much support - that doesn't really appeal to me (just one more piece to have to struggle in and out of - and there's no way I'm wearing a suit without any support).

A few pieces do have shelf bras at least, I'm tempted, just unsure. In their biker short bottoms, you can get inseam lengths of 9, 12, and 15 inches and some of the tops come in lengths between 30 and 40 inches. The extra-length is very appealing. If there was a suit that covered my knees, I'd be in 7th heaven.

I should just break down and buy a new suit, but I hate to spend the money when my suit is perfectly functional (just butt ugly).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-28-2009 at 09:19 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I buy all my swim suits from speedousa.com. They're pretty plain most of the time but they're good lap swimming suits. I find most other websites have suits with the U-shaped back(straps fall off my sholders) or halter tops(hurt my neck) or are just plain low-cut (my co-workers don't need to see my breasts, really). They're usually not cheap, but keep an eye out. I got a suit on sale for $35 last year and it's held up great!

And do be careful with the suits from discount sites. I bought one last year, it was sheer in about 2 months! Delta Burke suits hold up well but are ugly. I'm really a speedo girl (can't wait to fit into their cuter suits)

edit- speedo's website can be a bit tricky. Plus size suits are under the "aquatic" tab from the women's page. From aquatic you can find larger suits under both the "plus size" and "classic fit (conservative)" tabs. I have no idea why they don't just put all of them under plus size. But yes, they usually do run true to size. I recommend something with the "ultraback" and made from chlorine resistant fabric.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 12-28-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Thank you kaplods, for the heads up on where to buy a suit. I signed up for a water aerobics class yesterday, came home, dug out my old suit and realized it's probably illegal to wear out of the house. I didn't realize my wt loss would have any impact on the fit of the suit but it is just too loose, especially in the crotch area.

Here is the one I chose, I hope it fits! I really just had to guess what size I'd wear based on the current size I'm wearing right now. This is a style I almost always choose so that shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.bcoutlet.com/outlet/Circl...ype=0&pref=pvp

I chose the New Navy Print.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #15  
Tigga

S/C/G: 260/260/200

I teach water areobics so my suit sees the pool and bathing suit spinner alot
I think H20 wear is the way to go.
the suit hasn't lost shape or color.
tigga is offline   Reply With Quote