Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Default Hey, I'm new to the forum.

Hi,

My name is Stacey, and I'm 19 years old. I've come to this forum in search of advice, and support, and even to make some new friends to talk to. I've been struggling with my weight for a while now, and I just cannot take it anymore. My self esteem is completely shot. I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror anymore, and I'm sick of getting physically tired, and out of breath after such little activity. I'm young, and I don't want to live the rest of my life stuck in the depression that I'm in now. I want to get in shape, get healthy, and feel confident in myself. I guess I'm looking for some advice on how I can get started. I don't have the money to enroll in a gym, or the money to buy all the expensive "health foods". Though, I am ready to make changes. I'm ready to be happy.

Help? How did you get started?
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/193/130

Height: 5'5

Hey Stacey, welcome! I'm new here too. The way I got started losing weight is just cutting out fast food completely. Then I moved onto cutting coke out of my diet (but who are we kidding, I just switched to diet coke and I am still a total addict) and I started working out/taking fitness classes. It's hard to get into shape but soooo worth it when you finally do. I would only allow myself one treat- jamba juice after an intense saturday workout every week. I also paid attention to HOW MUCH I ate and what I ate. Small breakfast and small lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner with a couple healthy snacks sprinkled in I saved money but not spending it on fancy coffee, alcohol, desserts, etc. Of course this was a while ago and I found success but I gained it all back after stress, school, taking 20 hours, etc. but I plan to follow the same plan I had before even more closely. I guess you could say that I counted calories (loosely)

Some people need way more structure and follow a specific diet plan, so it depends on what your specific needs are.

If you ever want support or just someone to talk to, maybe we could email back and forth? I need an accountability partner.

Mal
malory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #3  

Hey Mal,

First off, I'd like to thank you for responding to my post. I really appreciate it. Everything that you say makes a lot of sense. I have cut out fast food, and I've cut soda out of my diet completely. I've lost 5 pounds doing that so far, but I guess I'm not sure where to go from there. Aside from feeling tired, and getting out of breath, I'm achy just about all the time, and it's hard for me to get going with exercise; fearing that I'll just make more pain for myself. Do you happen to know of any exercises that would be good for I guess, a beginner? I have a stationary bike, which I ride for a bit every day, but I know that I should be doing more. I don't really buy any of the extras that you mentioned, it's just bills and such that my money goes to. Right now fitness classes aren't possible financially; I need things that I can do at home.

We could definitely e-mail back and forth. It'd be nice to have someone to correspond with.

And by the way, Good for you. You've already accomplished something major once, and I'm sure you'll be able to do it again. Go you!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/193/130

Height: 5'5

It says not to post my email on here so I will just tell you - it's my username on this forum @gmail.com. I don't want any spam!

I definitely am lucky to have access to my university gym. That has helped me a lot in my weight loss journey. But while I am at home on breaks, I like to run. It's kind of an acquired taste; it took me a long time to be comfortable with myself & the idea of running. I started with long brisk walks and then moved onto jogging. I still am not the runner that I would like to be, but I am learning to train myself on the treadmill - since it is wayyyy to cold here! The stationary bike is a great start, and you can work your way up to higher levels- challenge yourself. That's the most important thing, I think. I find myself "too comfortable" most of the time. I had a director (musical theatre) tell me once to never be too comfortable with myself, because then I wasn't challenging ME. Another thing I like to do is 8 minute abs, arms, buns, etc. Just search it on youtube and they usually have it!

Well now that you have my email, shoot me a line and I'll have yours!
malory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #5  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Stacey!
So many here have been (or are) where you are now & know how you feel - I know you feel overwhelmed but Malory is right - tackle one thing at a time - make changes a step at a time and the results will follow - no looking back, no beating yourself up, just moving forward - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated, inspired and entertained! There's also info and first hand advice on different eating plans and exercise to help choose the right ones for you and get through the ups and downs.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here a few months myself, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of cheating or giving up.

So welcome - you 've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by leeway; 12-27-2009 at 01:33 AM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #6  

Hey Lee,

Thank you so much. In the short 24 hours that I've been a part of this forum, I see just how helpful and supportive everybody seems to be! It's amazing, and I'm so glad that I chose 3FC.

My weight loss goals are going to take a while. But I'm going to do what you say, take things one day at a time until I've achieved what I'm seeking.

Thanks!
Stacey
Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #7  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 215/215/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey Stacey welcome to 3FC... I am also new to the site, although I have been on here in a previous life! LOL You have done a GREAt thing by just deciding to change yourself and make YOU the best you can be! I myself have all the stresses of financial messes so I am also trying to do things here at home with the help of a better diet, some exercise on my new wii fit plus and great support from the wonderful people on here! Together we WILL beat this!
hcprincessrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

I know exactly how you feel and you have come to the right place! This place has helped me so much and it can help you if you read and search through the forums you will find lots of good advice you are very young and its good that you want to make a lifestyle change Portion control elps alot because sometimes we dont even realize how much we are eating and we gain weight but dont know why lol i use calorie counting and it has been the most effective that i have tried and i have been dieting for years! Just walking helps alot too.
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #9  

hcprincessrogue,

Thank you so much. That's one thing I haven't been doing. I haven't been keeping complete track of my calories. I'll definitely be doing that from now on. You're absolutely right. We can do this! Go us!

cherry7211,

Thanks! I've been reading around the website, and it looks like it's going to be able to help keep me on track. I'm excited to make the change.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #10  
No description available.

Welcome to 3FC! I'm glad you're here! Surf around and settle in!

Be sure to check out the 20 something forum (we don't card at the door!) and the 100 lb Club for lots of great support!\

midwife is offline   Reply With Quote