Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #1  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

Smile Suggestions, ideas to get through the holiday

Thought it may be a great idea to share any tips, ideas and suggestions to help those who might be facing food challenges during the next week of Holidays.

I am always open to new ideas of helping myself stay in control and focused.

Here is a suggestion from me: Don't feel you have to eat everything in sight fearing you may never have that specific food again.

Also for those who may be starting a new healthy life style come January 1st. Don't feel the need to plow through so much food until then making yourself sick and adding that much more weight to lose.

Let's share.....

gail
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I kind of just posted this on another question, but it really applies here too!

Don't eat just to be social. I used to eat a lot to make people feel comfortable or to make them think I like their food (whether I did or didn't). No more for me! My body is not a garbage can and I won't put any food inside of it that I don't think belongs there!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #3  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Remember that the first bite always tastes the best, and the enjoyment is basically gone after the third. A tiny sliver of each dessert variety is just as good as a whole slice of each.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Wow, you have come up with some great ideas! Remembering that I will get to have that specific food again is a good one. So true about the first bite always being the best, too. Thank you! I'd just add that what helps me is to remember how good I feel when I stay eating on plan and then step on the scale or go to the gym in my snug gym clothes vs. eating off plan and feeling bloated and fat and then have to weigh and see that I've gone backwards or push myself through a workout when I feel lousy after overeating.

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #5  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

I've been making a lot of sweets for the holiday. I'm taking them to share to my bf's family's house for Christmas Eve dinner but I'm pretty sure there will be leftovers.

I already have plans for any leftover sweets. That way they don't sit in the house for us to eat. I have a few friends that will welcome the surprise, but aren't expecting them - just in case they're aren't leftovers after all.
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Tiny, tiny servings and tiny, tiny bites. That's my best advice.

I also like to eat real light prior to the outing so that i have a calorie deficit when I arrive at the outing. But others suggest being full before arriving so you don't overindulge. Whichever works best for you I think is the way to go.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I second the "don't eat to be social".. I combat this by having a wine glass of water in my hand while wondering around chatting to people. The fancy glass keeps people from asking if I want alcohol, but the water keeps me from having empty calories.
If I really want a serving of one of the dishes, but already chose other things to add to my calories for the day... I promise myself that if there's some left at the end of the night, I will take a bit home for the next day.
I used to make my plate look like everyone else's mainly to 'fit in'. I don't do that anymore. I make it with what I know I will want and be happy with and ignore how others look at my plate. I also go last when it's served buffet style so I can take my time and be picky with what I chose goes on my plate.

Last edited by stargzr; 12-24-2009 at 10:27 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Definitely don't go somewhere starving- that always sets me up for a binge. I used to not eat all day then pig out like mad on thanksgiving and christmas... I plan on eating a filling breakfast and a light lunch before we go to our in-laws for christmas dinner

I also eat slow now- so that when people look over and see my plate still has food on it they don't say "aren't you eating?" they most likely will assume it's my second plate lol. I find when I eat a small portion and am done first I get the "is that all you are eating" comments.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I second the really small portions of dessert idea. I do that and it keeps me from feeling deprived and from feeling "off plan".

Also, take really small portions of "non healthy fare" for dinner. I Focus on larger portions with the healthier stuff. so I do actually get full.

I also know the majority of my calories are coming from the dinner, so I eat light foods, but alot of them before I go.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

It would be awesome if I lost weight over the holidays, but I'm not going to hold my breath! I'm not going hog wild, but I am eating fun stuff; just not nearly as much as I did last year! Maintaining is my goal until Jan 2, then it's on like Donkey Kong
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote