100 lb. Club - worst diet food EVER

View Full Version : worst diet food EVER

ubergirl
12-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Just for a laugh...

On another thread, people mentioned being permanently turned off of grapefruit and cottage cheese because of their past associations as "diet foods".

I've always hated WW because of a bad experience I had back in the seventies, where their diet food suggestions were little short of disgusting.

One in particular that I remember: ricotta cheese mixed up with vanilla and saccharine spread on toast. I still gag at the thought of it.

There also used to be this gross kind of Weight Watchers ice cream. They hadn't figured out how to make nonfat ice cream creamy, so it had the texture of a popsicle that has been melted and then refrozen. You measured it out of the carton by the slice. It lay there like a chunk of pale white ice and tasted like artificial sweetner. Yum. NOT!

Any one else with misguided dieting memories....?

mandalinn82
12-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Tofu. Shirataki. Noodles.

Yes, I rinsed them. Yes, I cooked them properly. No, they're not edible for me.

CLCSC145
12-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Remember the old diet plate specials at restaurants with a bare hamburger patty, a scoop of runny cottage cheese, and sliced tomatoes? What was that all about? And sprouts. Everything diet used to come with sprouts on it before they realized what an e-coli haven they were.

rockinrobin
12-22-2009, 12:29 AM
I was the one who scoffed at grapefruit. But like I said on the other thread, I now thoroughly enjoy them - but it took a while for me to get past that long preconceived notion that I had of them.

I can't really think of any others. Oooh wait - maybe melba toast. Dry, burnt tasting, no other taste to speak of. yuck.

Okay. Got another one. "Diet" salad dressings. They always tasted horrible to me. Even today, I don't use those reduced fat dressings. I don't like them. Very chemical-y tasting.

Now you've got me thinking. There's got to be more. I'm curious to here what others have to say.

Heather
12-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Fat free cheese. *shudder*

cfmama
12-22-2009, 12:34 AM
chicken breast cooked in the microwave. Plain.

Oh and dry tuna with a little pepper. bleck.

Lucky Charm
12-22-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm another one for fat-free salad dressings and cheese. I'd rather have a little of the good stuff than so much of the... not-so-good stuff.

I cannot stand fat-free yogurt, either. Come to think of it, if anything comes in fat-free, chances are I won't like it.

CLCSC145
12-22-2009, 12:52 AM
ACK! RICE CAKES!!!!!!! Who wants to eat Styrofoam?!

Thighs Be Gone
12-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Walden-Farms marshmallow creme....BARF!

RMatS
12-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Along with the fat free (so called) cheese, the fat free 'butter substitute' that doesn't melt! That is so abnormal.

algebraashley
12-22-2009, 01:08 AM
cottage cheese. gross.

KDM322
12-22-2009, 01:10 AM
mandalinn...TOTALLY AGREE!!! I tried the tofu noodles 2 different ways...DISGUSTING!!!

Windchime
12-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Along with the fat free (so called) cheese, the fat free 'butter substitute' that doesn't melt! That is so abnormal.

Yes! I bought some of this several months back but was creeped out by the way it sat in a big plastic-y blob on my baked potato. And yes, I CAN believe it's not butter. I changed back to good old butter. I use it sparingly, but that's what I use if I want something "buttery".

Windchime
12-22-2009, 01:14 AM
I've seen people (even here!) rave about the Greek yogurt so I gave it a try. I gave it a GOOD try, too, but it was just way too disgusting. I couldn't stand the stuff.

Passionista
12-22-2009, 01:18 AM
I've seen people (even here!) rave about the Greek yogurt so I gave it a try. I gave it a GOOD try, too, but it was just way too disgusting. I couldn't stand the stuff.Mon Dieu! That's practically sacrilege 'round here, it seems! :o

chickybird
12-22-2009, 01:24 AM
The Oikos (sp?) yogurt killed my stomach for about 3 days, although I liked the taste. I'm with Mandalinn on the noodles!
I once made tuna spaghetti, thinking it would be nice and low fat. Think of the nice hot chunks of tuna, the tart tomato sauce...no wait, that was me barfing, because that cr@p was nasty!!!!

Goddess Jessica
12-22-2009, 01:37 AM
ALL of the desserts in the Body for Life cookbook -- ricotta based monstrosities.

Oh and all the protein drinks that I gagged down for breakfast on BFL.

medinazarley
12-22-2009, 01:39 AM
I will drink skim milk, eat low fat yogurt with gusto, and I like the 2% cheese, but other than that I hate any low or fat free processed dairy. i pass on "lighter" versions of sour cream, cream cheese, ranch dressing, any dip, etc. They dont taste like normal.

Also on my list is diet soda (exception: diet 7-up I <3 diet 7-up).

basically any diet food. i prefer smaller portions of regular food.

cassieroll
12-22-2009, 01:44 AM
I was raised on cottage cheese and don't see it as a diet food and I buy the full fat stuff baby! I also love LOVE grapefruit but again, was raised on it because we had a tree in the back yard.

I hate fat free anything! It all tastes and feels so gross! I also can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners.

Suezeeque
12-22-2009, 03:19 AM
I've seen people (even here!) rave about the Greek yogurt so I gave it a try. I gave it a GOOD try, too, but it was just way too disgusting. I couldn't stand the stuff.

Have you tried the ones at Trader Joes? Also, I put stevia on yogurt because I don't like that faint sour taste.

catherinef
12-22-2009, 03:37 AM
I remember that disgusting Weight Watchers ice cream! And the hamburger patty/cottage cheese/sliced tomatoes diet plate, as well! Gross, gross, gross.

The one I so vividly remember from the '80s, though, is Butter Buds. Nasty.

Meg
12-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Walden-Farms marshmallow creme....BARF!

I would extend that to any product made by Walden Chemical Farms. :barf:

rockinrobin
12-22-2009, 07:09 AM

I also despise the greek yogurts. To me that taste like sour cream - which I've always hated.

But I didn't list that or the cottage cheese that I detest, because I don't really think of them as "diet" foods per se'.

I keep 4 different kinds of yogurt in my house. Out of the 5 people in my family, we like 4 different types. It's a very personal thing apparently, especially in my house.

And IMO, Walden Farms really needs to close down shop. blech.

LizR
12-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Anything labeled as diet treat food: cookies, cakes, ice cream bars, etc.

C.C. - I love rice cakes. :)

JayEll
12-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Egg white omelets. Forget it. Oh, and I'm kinda off turkey also.

Jay

Ruthxxx
12-22-2009, 08:10 AM
I detest cottage cheese, even in lasagna. It goes back to a "diet" inflicted on me by my mother - cottage cheese and peaches for lunch every darn day for two months before my wedding!
Egg white omelets aren't a hit for me either, Jay.

rockinrobin
12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
We are all so different. I LOVE egg white omlettes. I load them up with the best veggies.

But I did go through a period a couple of years ago where I got sick of them. Luckily (for me) it didn't last all that long as I gave them another shot and am back to enjoying them again.

Eliana
12-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Anything with the ingredients "artificial". LOL! This includes anything with "artificial sweeteners". Yuck! I do not like them Sam-I-Am.

I do not like grapefruit so I don't eat them. Same with cottage cheese. I used to think I hated yogurt until I discovered it was the Nutrasweet I didn't like.

There are enough healthy foods out there that I DO like, so why bother with the ones I don't?

WhitePicketFences
12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Ha, this these threads are actually reminding me that I should pick up some cottage cheese. Don't know why I haven't had it in years or since I began my new lifestyle. I just remember I liked it a lot when I was growing up.

My husband said the same thing about the greek yogurt having some sour going on. Must be a common aversion ... For me, I liked yogurt well enough, had incorporated it with health in mind and then I tried greek yogurt -- bam, fell in love.

ubergirl
12-22-2009, 10:49 AM
I remember that disgusting Weight Watchers ice cream! And the hamburger patty/cottage cheese/sliced tomatoes diet plate, as well! Gross, gross, gross.

I'm so glad somebody else remembers that weight watchers ice cream...!
It makes me nuts thinking about it now. Better to incorporate a small serving of ice cream than to eat that stuff...Of course, the old WW gave me a goal weight of 120 (BMI of 18)...

And I DO remember those "diet delite" plates. My mom and all her lady friends used to order them at lunch: one hamburger patty sans bun, one slice of tomato, one leaf of iceburg lettuce, and one scoop of cottage cheese with a pineapple ring on top.

L R K
12-22-2009, 11:04 AM
I would have to put cottage cheese at the top of my list - no matter how much I try to like it I just can't eat it. It even looks questionable ...

nelie
12-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Jenny Craig & Nutrisystem meals

rockinrobin
12-22-2009, 11:14 AM
I would have to put cottage cheese at the top of my list - no matter how much I try to like it I just can't eat it. It even looks questionable ...

I am so turned off by the "look" of it, that it's never even passed my lips.

Jenny Craig & Nutrisystem meals
Agreed. And I know they work for tons of folks, but *for me*, those Lean Cuisine frozen meals as well.

ubergirl
12-22-2009, 11:14 AM
A few more of mine... mostly stuff that was "legal" on WW in the seventies:

Melba toast
Ak-mak crackers
Sweet 'n Lo

This smoothie recipe:

1 cup skim milk
1 banana
1 package of Sweet n Lo
6 ice cubes
1 tsp vanilla extract

thin milk, tiny ice cube chunks, artificial sweetner, and banana.... YUCK.

And to think I could have just eaten a banana and drunk a glass of milk, LOL.

nelie
12-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Agreed. And I know they work for tons of folks, but *for me*, those Lean Cuisine frozen meals as well.

I never actually tried Lean Cuisines but I did Jenny Craig for a year and after that, I never wanted to eat another frozen meal and I don't think I have. I did try Nutrisystem for a month and it was horrid.

saef
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
TAB cola. First, I had contempt for the girls at college who drank it. Then I tried it. Somehow my taste buds adjusted. For a while there, I drank this stuff all the time, particularly while trying to stay awake to study.

Unflavored, salt-free white breadsticks. Without sesame seeds or carraway seeds or anything to relieve the blandness & monotony. So yeah, they're phallic, which can be fun, but they look industrially extruded rather than like anything that is a near cousin to bread. They are a pointless food that ought to be broken up for packing material.

Nearly anything that's sequestered on the shelves in the diet foods section of grocery stores, away from the "normal" food. When I pass these sections, I get flashbacks to the dieting habits of my mother & her coffee klatsch in the late 60s-early 70s. Back when one of them ate nothing but cottage cheese, canned pineapple & zwieback biscuits. When they talked about having their jaws wired shut. (Someone knew someone who had done this.) When they did jumping jacks with Jack LaLanne on the TV in the morning. The sight of a Sweet n' Lo packet with musical notes across the front also takes me back to that time. Particularly to the carafe of liquid Sweet n' Lo sometimes put out by hostesses with the coffee.

rakel
12-22-2009, 11:31 AM
The Oikos (sp?) yogurt killed my stomach for about 3 days, although I liked the taste. I'm with Mandalinn on the noodles!
I once made tuna spaghetti, thinking it would be nice and low fat. Think of the nice hot chunks of tuna, the tart tomato sauce...no wait, that was me barfing, because that cr@p was nasty!!!!

LOL, that reminds me of something my dad used to make for us when we were kids. Hunts tomato sauce. Spaghetti noodles. Summer Sausage. No wonder I didn't like spaghetti for the longest time.

Meg
12-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Ubergirl, it sounds like you and I both did WW at the same time in the 70s. Remember mock ketchup made from boiling tomato juice?? I still love one of those old WW recipes, though -- the one made of cottage cheese, pineapple chunks, and SF pistachio pudding mix. :crazy:

rakel
12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Wow, lots of cottage cheese haters. Personally, I love cottage cheese, but not with fruit. My mom used to try and get me to eat it with pineapple or peaches. No thank you. Give me some salt, pepper and chives please!

ubergirl
12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Ubergirl, it sounds like you and I both did WW at the same time in the 70s. Remember mock ketchup made from boiling tomato juice?? I still love one of those old WW recipes, though -- the one made of cottage cheese, pineapple chunks, and SF pistachio pudding mix. :crazy:

Oh dear. I don't think I ever made mock ketchup. Thank god!:D

I didn't like cottage cheese as a kid, so thank god, that food was never ruined for me.

But I do LOATHE Sweet n Lo. Very many unhappy memories associated with that little pink poison packet.

Thighs Be Gone
12-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey I wanted to throw in here:

I LIKE THE SHIRATAKE NOODLES! If you have never tried them, please do! They are only 40 calories a bag! In fact, I am doing some experimenting with them now to make dessert dishes! LOL!

:)

rakel
12-22-2009, 12:00 PM
What I don't understand about mock ketchup, is that real ketchup only has like 15 calories a serving. Honestly, you can't get much better than that for a sauce, I mean, right??? Maybe mustard.

Meg
12-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I know, isn't that silly? WW was really anti-sugar back in the 70s and didn't permit anything with sugar, regardless of calorie content. Hence boiling tomato juice with those nasty pink packets to make pretend ketchup. Bleech. Back then, WW was a very limited diet plan and hard to stick to in every day life.

MindiV
12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I tried HARD for a week to like cottage cheese. I can eat it in small doses...a spoonful here and there. But 1/2 cup or anything as a snack...no go, no matter what I put in it...

Seems I'm in the minority too. I don't mind the fat free dressings or cheeses OR yogurts...

losermom
12-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I know others love this stuff but I cannot abide Spaghetti Squash. I've tried it a couple of times a couple of different ways and it just is not good, no way no how. I suspect it's the texture which is weird because I do like squash in general.

I am in the minority but I do like cottage cheese, low-fat, straight up. Probably because I like cheese! I do not do low-fat in general. If the lower-fat version tastes yucky (like regular cheese, sour cream, evaporated milk) I will not eat it. But I do like skim milk (always have) and regular butter.

I do remember the "diet plates" of the 70s & 80s--yuck! And I did drink Tab too.

zenor77
12-22-2009, 12:32 PM
A few more of mine... mostly stuff that was "legal" on WW in the seventies:

Melba toast
Ak-mak crackers
Sweet 'n Lo

I LOVE Ak-mak crackers! I grew up in the town where they are made though and I don't think of them as diet food. I like Greek yogurt (2%), cottage cheese and grapefruit too. Then again, I don't perceive these items as diet-y either.

For me, I'd have to say spray butter is the worst diet food ever! My former roommate and I used to use it a lot, until the fridge went out on us and it got warm and separated into oil and mystery chunks. So, gross! I'd rather eat my toast dry, thank you!

Passionista
12-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Sugar Free Jello. Mmmmm! Connective tissue and bones, boiled down with artificial sweeteners, flavorsand colors! :stir: :hun:

BillBlueEyes
12-22-2009, 01:01 PM
And I know they work for tons of folks, but *for me*, those Lean Cuisine frozen meals as well.Lean Cuisine is also on my can't-tolerate list.

I bought five on sale and have managed to get through two, which tasted alike as did each of the ingredients. They taste, to me, like they're loaded with slide-down - that stuff added to processed food to make it slide down the gullet without decreasing my hunger, giving me pleasure. or leaving me with a remembered taste.

For the three left, I'm considering covering each with a can of anchovies so that I'll at least remember what I ate, LOL.

CLCSC145
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Sugar Free Jello. Mmmmm! Connective tissue and bones, boiled down with artificial sweeteners, flavorsand colors! :stir: :hun:

I thought I was the only person turned off by the thought of Jello! Strawberry flavored congealed boiled hooves.... :barf:

rakel
12-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm not a huge fan of any frozen dinners, but of them all, and especially of the "diet" ones, I would say Lean Cuisines are the best tasting, though they do tend to smell better than they taste. Healthy Choice on the other hand -- dis-gust-ing.

And okay... I have never really liked jello of any kind. Like, it's always the "Sweet treat that's only 10 calories" but it never satisfies me. Pudding on the other hand, is pretty good. Maybe because it has more substance, and a richer flavor, like chocolate for the chocolate lovers. When I was a kid, I thought the jigglers were fun. I would slurp 'em up like Timon and Pumpa slurped up grubs. ;)

ubergirl
12-22-2009, 01:58 PM
i would like Lean Cuisine if I could eat about eight of them! One always seems so sparse! I also can't stand frozen veggies.

mandalinn82
12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
I LIKE THE SHIRATAKE NOODLES! If you have never tried them, please do! They are only 40 calories a bag! In fact, I am doing some experimenting with them now to make dessert dishes! LOL!

They definitely work for some people...I prefer other, slightly-higher-calorie alternatives that don't make me literally gag. It's like cottage cheese...most people either love or hate it.

cathydoe
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
With the frozen dinners...why do they always put the chopped up red peppers. I know they do it for color...but PLEASE... I really dislike them and I pick them all out! I couldn't do the frozen dinners over and over and over... a few are okay in a pinch. I couldn't imagine doing a "diet" with them :(

Thighs Be Gone
12-22-2009, 02:30 PM
They definitely work for some people...I prefer other, slightly-higher-calorie alternatives that don't make me literally gag. It's like cottage cheese...most people either love or hate it.

I have also found it's a love/hate thing with the noodles. I just ate some for my lunch--I stir-fried them with 2 tbs. of skim ricotta cheese and added garlic, oregano, basil and some spaghetti sauce. I wish I had made more. It was YUM.

I also equate cottage cheese with old school "dieting." I don't mind eating it from time to time.

Which alternatives are you using for the noodles? I also have "yam cakes" in the fridge right now--they are 10 calories a serving but have no idea what to do with them. I found them along side the noodles.

TJFitnessDiva
12-22-2009, 02:37 PM
It would have to be fat free mayo ;)

JulieJ08
12-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Diet bread. Diet cheese. Diet ice cream. Diet salad dressing. Egg whites. Artificial sweeteners. Can't do it.

mandalinn82
12-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I love, love, love the pasta by fibergourmet....130 cals for a serving, and a ton of fiber. Also love spaghetti squash recently...bake it, shred it, then mix with spaghetti sauce, browned extra lean ground beef, some garlic, some onion...place in a baking dish, top with 1/2 a cup of part skim mozza, and bake until bubbly. Mmmm.

Heather
12-22-2009, 03:09 PM
It really is funny how different tastes are. I do like some of others' hates...

I did WW in the 80s, and I still make a dessert of theirs: choc sf/ff pudding with a bit of peanut butter stirred in.

Apeyness
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I have def. tried the shi taki noodles. Fat free cream cheese. Unflavored steamed veggies. Yuck! I love seasonings! I hate how something that they market as great for dieters, always taste bland or has a nasty texture!! Yuck!!

lovemyboy
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Let's see:

ricotta cheese
I can believe it's not butter and similar, except smart balance. I like that.
any diet or sugar free desserts, jello, yogurt or drinks like crystal light
fat free anything (shudder) (Light yes. Fat free no.). They usually add extra sugar to fat free stuff anyway which defeats the purpose.
Lean Cuisine, Healthy choice frozen meals
scrambled tofu
those powdered diet shakes you mix with crushed ice (melting ice chunks and not-quite chocolate taste - gak!)

greentara
12-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Lean Cuisine is also on my can't-tolerate list.

I bought five on sale and have managed to get through two, which tasted alike as did each of the ingredients. They taste, to me, like they're loaded with slide-down - that stuff added to processed food to make it slide down the gullet without decreasing my hunger, giving me pleasure. or leaving me with a remembered taste.

For the three left, I'm considering covering each with a can of anchovies so that I'll at least remember what I ate, LOL.

I thought I was the only one that hated Lean Cuisines! They taste like salt and chemicals to me, if they have any taste at all. I am NEVER satisfied after I eat one, because there is no enjoyment in the experience.

losinflab
12-22-2009, 04:33 PM
DH always says if its made with turkey,but doesn't taste like turkey....toss it.

I can't have Splenda anything/anyway, so that keeps a lot of diet/chemical stuff off my list.Remember Tab...yuck.

Most NF chemical concoctions leave a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm using sugar & a LF mayo.Other wise,I'm a FF gal.:D

ladyrider72472
12-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree with RomanceDiva; ff mayo:barf: As well, FF dressings (especially 1000 Island and Italian) what the heck is that mystery aftertaste?
And FF cheese..... it is like some form of tire patch for when you have a flat! :barf:

Can you imagine what is actually in these things that we put in our body? :yikes:

duckyyellowfeet
12-22-2009, 05:44 PM
i actually like Sweet-n-Lo. I put it in tea, on grapefruit, etc. I mean, i may not eat it straight, but I use it in place of sugar.

I don't like FF cheese either. It just tastes like rubber.
Cottage cheese, to echo many.
I dislike Light-n-Fit yougurt with a passion. I know its lower calories than Yoplait light, but i just hate it.

Slashnl
12-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Love this thread. It makes me laugh.

I just can't stand diet pop. Yep, I had my share of Tab, back in the day. Oh and Fresca. Ick!!!

sidhe
12-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Artificial sweeteners. ACK. The aftertaste kills me, it coats my mouth and I can't get rid of it. Especially Splenda. I can't shake the aftertaste of Splenda for a couple of hours after I have just a bit or two of anything containing it. If I need sweetness, I'll use a bit of sugar. If it won't be edible with just a bit of sugar but needs more...I don't have it.

I can't get past the texture of a lot of "diet" foods. Cottage cheese. :barf: Sushi (like california rolls, or sashimi). :barf: Rice cakes by themselves. :barf: Yogurt. :barf:

rockinrobin
12-22-2009, 08:21 PM
I can't get past the texture of a lot of "diet" foods. Cottage cheese. :barf: Sushi (like california rolls, or sashimi). :barf: Rice cakes by themselves. :barf: Yogurt. :barf:

I for one never thought of sushi as "diet" food. :dunno:

If only. :smug:

Gracie789
12-22-2009, 08:47 PM
i would like Lean Cuisine if I could eat about eight of them! One always seems so sparse!

:lol: me too. As far as frozen meals go I really don't mind Lean Cuisine, I just really want to eat a couple for a meal not just one.

Mikayla
12-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Speaking of Weigh Watchers, the meeting I can remember the most was the meeting we sampled brownies made with baby food plums(to replace the oil maybe?) They were awful, plus IMO it's just easier to stop eating brownies...they are never going to be good for you.

My mom was HUGE into the fat free craze when I was growing up. I've had fat free "butter" fat free sour cream, she even made fat free chocolate cookies...they were all gross, but the cookies were the worst.

My mom lost 100 lbs on her fat free diet, she ate those nasty cookies all the time I just looked up the recipe and they are terrible for you. I just had to post it.

Fat Free Chocolate Cookies

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. Karo (light or dark)
3 egg whites

Eliana
12-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Speaking of Weigh Watchers, the meeting I can remember the most was the meeting we sampled brownies made with baby food plums(to replace the oil maybe?) They were awful, plus IMO it's just easier to stop eating brownies...they are never going to be good for you.

My mom was HUGE into the fat free craze when I was growing up. I've had fat free "butter" fat free sour cream, she even made fat free chocolate cookies...they were all gross, but the cookies were the worst.

My mom lost 100 lbs on her fat free diet, she ate those nasty cookies all the time I just looked up the recipe and they are terrible for you. I just had to post it.

Fat Free Chocolate Cookies

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. Karo (light or dark)
3 egg whites

Wow, I wonder how she lost 100 lbs doing that! "Fat Free" always meant more pounds for me. That fat-free craze was just wrong.

And back to diet foods: I like baked chips now and then, but I do not care for baked tortilla chips unless they're covered in salsa. And hey, the salsa's good for you! :D

Symmetry
12-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Some liquid diet shakes/soups my mother made me do in my teens. You know, the sachets .. thing. It was thick, sticky, expensive and tasted horrible!

Then this 'fat-burning' clear soup you have to eat everyday full of bell peppers and veggies.

I'm not getting near those things ever again. :barf:

LitChick
12-22-2009, 11:32 PM
I am on Weight Watchers now and love the program, but have y'all seen these disgusting and disturbing photos of old WW recipes: http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html - hilarious!

It is funny reading through everyone's comments and seeing how some people love what others hate and vice versa. :)

meliann
12-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Most anything that's fat free. I can handle lite products, but FF is usually a little too bleh for me.

Anything with splenda in it - the aftertaste lasts too long.

And I agree about the Lean Cuisines -some of them taste ok, but it's just not enough food to keep me satisfied for very long.

ubergirl
12-23-2009, 12:03 AM
I am on Weight Watchers now and love the program, but have y'all seen these disgusting and disturbing photos of old WW recipes: http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html - hilarious!

It is funny reading through everyone's comments and seeing how some people love what others hate and vice versa. :)

OMG... that's SO FUNNY!

I'm surprised I don't see the ricotta with saccahrine and vanilla in there.

And LOL about the FAT FREE COOKIE RECIPE...!!! I love how there is a cup of SUGAR in there.

My mom was big into the whole fat free thing too. Cut the fat and LOAD it with sugar. What's not to love?

sidhe
12-23-2009, 12:47 AM
I for one never thought of sushi as "diet" food. :dunno:

If only. :smug:

Robin, a california roll (the whole roll) is estimated here (http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm) at 255 calories and 7 grams of fat. I don't know how many rolls you normally would eat, but any roll I'd only eat one. Sounds pretty low-calorie to me!

CLCSC145
12-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Robin, a california roll (the whole roll) is estimated here (http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm) at 255 calories and 7 grams of fat. I don't know how many rolls you normally would eat, but any roll I'd only eat one. Sounds pretty low-calorie to me!

I love sushi, so much that I really have to watch myself - I don't think I'd want to stop at 1 roll! That's why it's a rare treat for me...

Symmetry
12-23-2009, 12:52 AM

I kind of like Fat Free Plain Yoghurt. :D

sidhe
12-23-2009, 12:54 AM
I love sushi, so much that I really have to watch myself - I don't think I'd want to stop at 1 roll! That's why it's a rare treat for me...

Well, really, it's rice and fish and vegetables. Unless you get the tempura rolls, it's low fat and healthy (depending, of course, on your opinions of white rice). If you go the sashimi route, then you can skip the rice and just eat the fish. And fish is always touted as a low-fat protein source high in omega 3 fatty acids and ideal for "dieting"...but sorry. Texture. Oh and flavor. Fish does NOT work for me! :barf:

rockinrobin
12-23-2009, 01:26 AM
And back to diet foods: I like baked chips now and then, but I do not care for baked tortilla chips unless they're covered in salsa. And hey, the salsa's good for you! :D

Salsa, though not a *typical* diet food is actually quite low calorie. Most salsas come in at about 15 calories for a couple of tablespoons. I eat it often. Those baked chips on the other hand - not so low calorie at all.

One roll just doesn't satisfy me. I need LOTS more filling power/nutrition from my 255 calories for it to be included in my daily day in day out diet.

But besides, again, and this is just me, I still never looked at it as *diet* food. There are lots of low calorie foods out there and I don't consider them *diet* foods either. Chicken breasts, turkey breast, fruits, vegetables, soups, fish, tuna, veggie burgers - all lower then those 255 calories and I just look at them as *regular* food. They're (mostly) wholesome, natural foods - not commercially altered in some way to lower their caloric content, I suppose with the exception to the veggie burger. But I don't think their main selling point is that they ARE *dietetic*. That's why I said that I used to have this preconceived notion about grapefruit being a *diet* food and realized that it really wasn't. It was just a food that HAPPENED TO BE LOW IN CALORIES, that was not at all produced or altered in order to save calories.

Haley8203
12-23-2009, 08:25 AM

I just have to hold my nose before I put sauce on them because the smell is awful lol

rockinrobin
12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by mandalinn82

I just have to hold my nose before I put sauce on them because the smell is awful lol

I've never tried these and I gotta tell you this thread is not making me want to any time soon. Or at all. Ever. For all of eternity. And then some. ;)

Passionista
12-23-2009, 09:37 AM
I LOVE tofu and LOATHE the Shiratake!!!

Nada
12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Robin, I'm with you on sushi--it's not "diet" food in my book if "normal" folks eat it! To me, diet food is fat-free dairy products (shudder) and rice cakes and egg substitute. I can take some low fat products but yeccch on fat-free cheese and salad dressing!

I'm always amused by some of the substitutes for high fat restaurant options on sites like Hungry Girl. Waaaay too much trouble. I'll just skip fried foods. 'Course, I'm just a throw it together person--that's why some of my favorite recipes are soups.

Violet73
12-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Fat-free mayo...yucko! I rarely eat mayo now as I now like mustard...but fat-free mayo makes me gag.

Rice cakes...yucko! I agree with another poster about it being like styrofoam!

Yogurt...yucko! I can only eat the "whipped" yogurt...I can't get past the slimy texture of regular yogurt.

Nutrisystem....everything started tasting the same...yuck.

Weird fat free bread that doesn't even toast....looks plastic...yucko!

I have many more I'm sure! lol

starfishkitty
12-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Hmmm... I'm with a lot of you guys on the cottage cheese. Just can't do it. Blech.

Also: avacado (supposed to be healthy, good fats, etc but it just makes me yark!), any diet pop but pepsi, tofu, or most frozen diet meals.

I started my diet journey with Nutrisystem for five months, and while I'm eternally grateful to them for teaching me how to eat properly in a lot of ways and I lost a good deal of weight on it... I'm REALLY glad to be away from their dang food! Yuck! My intestines are happier too. ;)

greentara
12-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Fat-free mayo...yucko! I rarely eat mayo now as I now like mustard...but fat-free mayo makes me gag.

Rice cakes...yucko! I agree with another poster about it being like styrofoam!

Yogurt...yucko! I can only eat the "whipped" yogurt...I can't get past the slimy texture of regular yogurt.

Nutrisystem....everything started tasting the same...yuck.

Weird fat free bread that doesn't even toast....looks plastic...yucko!

I have many more I'm sure! lol

I have to agree on rice cakes. They taste like the styrofoam stuff that they use to pack packages so that things won't break. :p

Fat-free cheese is like cheap rubber. Fat-free mayo and dressings have that really weird aftertaste. Fat-free sour-cream has ruined the taste of everything I have ever put it in.

Fat-free microwave popcorn is another yuck of mine. It always burns in my microwave and then I have that toxic burning taste to add to the tasteless taste of the popcorn.

Jae165
12-23-2009, 02:30 PM
I am so turned off by the "look" of it, that it's never even passed my lips.

Oh I remember trying to eat those. I would end up sick every week. I just can't eat them.

This smoothie recipe:

1 cup skim milk
1 banana
1 package of Sweet n Lo
6 ice cubes
1 tsp vanilla extract

thin milk, tiny ice cube chunks, artificial sweetner, and banana.... YUCK.

And to think I could have just eaten a banana and drunk a glass of milk, LOL.

OMG...This made laugh so loud!!!!:D

ThicknPretty
12-23-2009, 02:35 PM
*The Healthy Choice pasta steamers...like it literally makes me sick to my stomach to think about them. I tried the Ziti and it was like, sickly sweet and the noodles had a grainy texture..?! It was bad enough I skipped lunch. Me...skipped lunch...wow. (I've actually noticed that a lot of the Healthy Choice meals smell or taste extremely sweet in a very fake way. A girl at work eats them often and when the smell hits my nose at my desk, I know exactly what it is! Ew)

*Grapefruit. It's just so BITTER.

That being said, I love Lean Cuisine's. The cheese ravioli is my favorite and doesn't taste too different from restaraunt ravioli to me. They also used to make another kind called Pot Stickers, which now I can't find anywhere, that I absolutely LOVED. (Does anyone know if they still make them or do you guys have them in your stores?). I also like cottage cheese and rice cakes too!

Jae165
12-23-2009, 02:43 PM
OH WAIT.....

BEETS!!!!!!!!!!!

BLECH!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I have to agree with the majority, I can't do cottage cheese. The texture is just too much for me to handle.

medinazarley
12-23-2009, 08:58 PM
so i mentioned like 80 posts ago that I hate low-cal dairy products, esp. ranch dressing.

I picked up the spray-on italian because i love it at my mom's house, and I noticed they have a ranch vinigrette. i picked that up too, out of curiosity.

It's delish!!!, 15 cals/10 sprays, satisfyes the craving w/out the weird tastes low-cal versions have.

nelie
12-23-2009, 09:32 PM
I love sushi and beets and avocado and I wouldn't consider any of those 3 things to be diet food. One of my favorite things is raw beet salad which is sooo good. It is definitely high in natural sugars so I don't make it a lot. I also wouldn't consider grapefruit to be diet food and I absolutely love it but can't eat it because I take BC pills.

Emily
12-23-2009, 09:58 PM
My vote for worst diet food ever would have to go to those Weight Watchers snack cakes that come in like 3 flavors (IIRC, chocolate, lemon and carrot cake). Just thinking about the lemon flavored ones makes me want to puke--they are SO gross.

raebeaR
12-24-2009, 02:03 AM
I love sushi and beets and avocado and I wouldn't consider any of those 3 things to be diet food. One of my favorite things is raw beet salad which is sooo good. It is definitely high in natural sugars so I don't make it a lot.

Wow, I thought I was the only person in the world who loves raw beet salad!!! I adore it, too, nelie. Heaven on a plate for me is raw beets grated coarsely, mixed with a drizzle of honey, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and served over fresh arugula with goat cheese crumbled over. As you say, a rare treat -- but man, what a treat!!!!

I also love many of the natural foods listed here (fish, avocado, cottage cheese), but I hate all the fat free stuff. I just can't do fat free.

Worst diet food ever: I remember this ghastly cabbage soup we used to make on WW, with cabbage boiled in tomato juice. Just... gaaahhh. My stomach still rolls when I think of it.

rockinrobin
12-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Wow, I thought I was the only person in the world who loves raw beet salad!!! I adore it, too, nelie. Heaven on a plate for me is raw beets grated coarsely, mixed with a drizzle of honey, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and served over fresh arugula with goat cheese crumbled over. As you say, a rare treat -- but man, what a treat!!!!

Worst diet food ever: I remember this ghastly cabbage soup we used to make on WW, with cabbage boiled in tomato juice. Just... gaaahhh. My stomach still rolls when I think of it.

I've never tried raw beets, but I think it's about time that I did!! Sounds yumm-o.

I don't know about the WW soup, but I make a PHENOMENAL thick, tasty and luscious tomato cabbage soup. No hardship at all eating this stuff.

SSBlue
05-13-2011, 04:11 PM
You are so right,,,tastes & looks like spackle! the peanut butter just as bad!

Nikki6kidsmom
05-13-2011, 04:49 PM
I have had a few Kashi frozen entrees that made me gag. And certain Amy's organic entrees too. But fish I just can't do. I have changed so much of my eating, I have tried many new things that I love and live on now but I can't stomach healthy fish.Period!

JudoGirl
05-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Oh I love the one with the hamburger pattie and cheese on it..
with cottage cheese on the side...
what was that all about...just saying...

jessy 49
05-15-2011, 02:00 PM
I divide food into three categories:
1) Food I like and would eat at home or choose in a restaurant (all fruit, most veg, all grains, all mainstream meat, most dairy)
2) Food that's okay. I would eat it at your house but wouldn't choose it myself. (Squash, split pea soup, sugar-free anything, lamb)
3) The detestables. (Rice cakes, cottage cheese, shellfish, weird animal/organ/raw meat.)

Unfortunately for me, I have far too many #1 foods and far too few detestables. :-)

bellastarr
05-15-2011, 10:25 PM
i hate cottage cheese, cannot gag it down for a million dollars....

nutrisystem food was some of the most plasticy/fake food i've ever had

slimfast makes me gag too

IAteIt
05-15-2011, 11:20 PM
OMG diet jello...it never seemed to get completely firm, sort of runny and chemical tasting.

SouthLake
05-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Turkey bacon!

It might be well and good on its own, but please don't call it bacon. It is not bacon. It tastes nothing like bacon. Stop trying to market it as bacon. I would much rather have center cut bacon- practically the same nutrition value, but it actually tastes like bacon.

Grapefruit, blech.

I hate avocados. They taste like dirt. Not as some sort of analogy, but that I actually think they taste like soil. Though they aren't false or artificial, EVERY SINGLE diet in the world tries to get me to eat them. Not going to happen.

Pandora123a
05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
WW demanded you have liver once a week in the early days. I couldn't keep it down...my mom mixed it into a weight watchers "milkshake" (tab, ice, yogurt,and 2 oz of liver if anyone wants the recipe).

Carbonated liver was definitely my WORST diet taste ever!

After that I just refused to eat the liver.

krampus
05-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Living in Japan, I have been exposed to some real stinkers.

Natto - fermented soybeans. It's kind of like eating snot that has a strong smell.

Konnyaku - a nearly calorie-free jelly type solid that comes from a plant. It has no flavor and the consistency is horrible. Imagine eating Jello that was super firm that had no taste. ACK.

Chicken cartilage - fewer calories than other organs/breast meat. Tastes fine but the texture is awful. Gizzard is worse though.

Organ meat in general gets a thumbs-down from me, though beef tongue and chicken heart is okay sooometimes.

Shirataki and tofu are awesome though! Today I had tofu soumen noodles as a snack. 84 calories for a sizable little cup of "noodles" with seaweed and sauce.

LaceyCen
05-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Nutrisystem Beans and Ham Soup. I swear, just thinking about it makes me feel like I can taste it. /gag

Also, I second the dry tuna with pepper. Three-Day Diet survivors, anyone?

K9Owner
05-16-2011, 01:11 PM
First off, this thread has had me :rofl: since last night! I even sent the WW site to my MIL, since she is an avid participant!

I have always been conscious about my weight--since high school and I don't really associate food as diet or regular.
I, too categorize food, which are:
Foods I Love and mostly eat
Foods I Love and rarely eat
Foods that I don't Love and try not to eat

Among the ones that top my "Foods that I don't Love and try not to eat" list, include:

* Grape Nut cereal
* Kashi Cereal (I haven't had a single one I liked yet)
* Kashi Go Lean Oatmeal
* Apple Cider Vinegar
* Balsamic Vinegrette
* Capers
* Raw Tomatoes (Although, I love Rotel and Salsa and use my fine grinder to liquify the 2 and make store bought salsa "Spicy")
* Muesli
* Red Meat
* Organ Meat
* Game Meat
* Peanut Butter
*FF Ranch Dsg

I like many foods listed on this thread categorized as "diet"
* Fresca * Cottage Cheese * Greek Yogurt * RF Dressing (I mix FF Caesar w/ Regular Caesar to create a better dsg for salads)
*Plain Tuna *Pink Grapefruit (I peel all of the white yucki outer skin that holds the juicy pink flesh--takes FOREVER for me to eat one)
*White Grapefruit Juice

goodforme
05-16-2011, 02:50 PM
WW demanded you have liver once a week in the early days. I couldn't keep it down...my mom mixed it into a weight watchers "milkshake" (tab, ice, yogurt,and 2 oz of liver if anyone wants the recipe).

Carbonated liver was definitely my WORST diet taste ever!

After that I just refused to eat the liver.

:rofl: OMG!! I can't believe that recipe! My father LOVED liver, and we always knew we were having spaghetti when we came home and smelled liver walking from the bus stop. He never made us eat it, but he did make us try it, and it's an experience I may never get over.

I second the greek yogurt tasting like sour cream. I had tried the flavored brands (with honey, blueberry, strawberry) and they were AWESOME! So, I had one tub of plain and I packed up my own fresh strawberries to eat with it. Imagine my surprise when I spooned up a big ol' bite of sour cream for breakfast. (Although, it does sub for sour cream when cooking and it's perfect!)

I haven't tried the shiritake noodles, or really tofu of any kind, but I'm open to the idea.

My fail? Butternut squash. Maybe it was out of season or maybe I didn't cook it right, but it didn't absorb any flavor from the spices I coated it with, and it didn't get "soft" so it was like biting into a raw potato. Pass.

greenfishgirl
04-26-2012, 02:46 PM
How about plain yogurt mixed with applesauce and cinnamon. My mother used to torture me with that when she was dieting. Boy did it set off my gag reflex, but I was a good little girl and politely ate it without complaining. Still makes me shutter at the thought!

missphalange
04-26-2012, 02:51 PM
All of the MediFast foods I tried when I forced myself to follow the program for a few months a couple of years ago. Never again.

KittyKatFan
04-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Tofu or any fake "chik'n" product made of tofu. I used to be able to tolerate it but I hate them now. Slightly off topic, but I never understood what vegetarians or vegans wanted to eat tofu products that were disguised to look like and taste like some sort of meat product.

Fat-free ranch dressing. Awful. Flavorless.

And any Lean Cuisine/Healthy Choice, etc. dinner featuring tomato sauce or marinara sauce. I can't stand the smell when people are microwaving that stuff at work.

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-28-2012, 03:55 PM
:lol3: Those 1974 WW recipe cards were unreal ... I have never laughed so hard in my life ... thanks, Wendy -- yum, yum! :rofl:

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

toobig
04-28-2012, 05:58 PM
The WW cards made me laugh until cried. I REALLY needed that!!! Thank you

Katy Did
04-28-2012, 11:02 PM
OMG these WW cards are amazing. WOW!