100 lb. Club - do you put some healthy foods off limits?

ubergirl
12-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I really love beans-- garbanzos, lentils, split peas...

I have very healthy recipes for all of them-- just beans and veggies-- no added meat, no added fat.

But, I have a hard time not eating too much. Tonight I made a scrumptious lentil soup and I ended up downing three bowlsful. Recently I made a chick pea dish and ate twice as much as I had planned.

Beans are so healthy, but do they border on a binge food? I mean, there is a limit to how many beans you can eat, but my limit seems pretty high.

I've been so good about staying away from everything I'm not supposed to eat-- but do I have to put beans on that list?

Tai
12-20-2009, 09:30 PM
I can easily overeat things like grapes, cherries, baby carrots and peas. They have higher sugar content so I can see why I like them so much! I don't put them off limits, but I do buy them off the salad bar to make sure I only get one serving.

I go through the self check out lane when I buy these or else I get very strange looks and comments from the cashiers.

medinazarley
12-20-2009, 09:36 PM
A while ago when i was trying WW (which did not work for me) this was brought up, how many 0 point foods can you eat without counting them, and it was decided that if you feel you've gone over board (like, say, 9 cans of diet cola) to count them. so if you feel like you are over eating, limit it!

personally I wont buy pistachio's or almonds because I would eat 1/2 a container the first night.

Carly Smoker
12-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Beans are very good for you and in no way should you take them off your meal plans. They are not extremely high in calories either 1 cup of beans ranges between 150-250 depending on the variety.

What you need to do is serve yourself what you have decided to have and then put the rest away, immediately. Do not give yourself a choice of more servings.

Have you looked into any distraction techniques (drinking water, doing the dishes etc..) before you eat any more?

PS sorry I am not in the 100 lb club but I thought it was important to chime in that you need beans. EAT BEANS.

Sonata
12-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah, beans are awesome for you. I'm not sure what plan you are using, but I allow myself plenty of beans and just make sure I keep under my allotted calories with them. It seems to me that when I get a lot of fiber, my weight loss the next day is a bit higher than normal. I usually go down .2-.4 pounds a day, but after a lot of fiber, I can drop .5 or even a whole pound and not get it back.

JulieJ08
12-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I think you can choose to do whatever works out for you.

Some foods I have problems with and find it easier to just stay away from them, or not have them at home - but the funny thing is, which foods those are changes. I ate granola, a little bit, most days when I was losing; but now, I can't seem to stay out of the bag if it's around. When I was losing, I couldn't keep chocolate at home, now I can.

Whatever works.

kaplods
12-21-2009, 12:34 AM
How are you determining that you're eating "too much?" How and by what reasoning are you making that determination? Are you eating until your stomach hurts? Are you exceeding your calorie allowance or your food plan? Is your bean consumption causing weight gain or inhibiting loss (and are you looking at more than one day or even one week to determine this, to make sure that it's actually real weight being counted and not just the weight of the food)? Are you exhibiting any ill effects (other than gas - don't worry about that, the more regularly you eat beans, the better you'll be able to digest them).

There are a lot of healthy foods that I do have to avoid or drastically limit, but I don't base the decision solely on quantity. It's the effects that are important, and I try many other techniques before deciding to ban them.

For me, beans are easy. I do tend to overeat them, but a few tricks help that from being less of a problem. Whether I buy them dried or canned, I prepare a small enough quantity that if I eat the whole batch, there's no worries. Or, I make a large quantity (in the crockpot) but before I have a single serving, I portion them out into serving containers and freeze all but one. Again, choosing reasonable serving sizes for each portion.

I also tend to prepare them "brothy" or with a lot of added low cal veggies (like onion, celery and bell pepper), so that it's not just beans, but also cooking liquid and non-starchy veggies to dilute the calories per serving. For me two to three times what I planned usually isn't a disaster (I just cut somewhere else). Three bowls of a bean soup leaves me a little overfull, but it doesn't seem to hurt my weight loss at all, so I wouldn't worry about that. Is it hurting you in some way, or is it just embarassing or uncomfortable to lose control even in such a minor way?

Every year I gorge on Ranier cherries. I'll eat a pound or more at a time, at least once a week until the season is over. Luckily the season is short (only about three to five weeks). It's not the smartest thing to do (especially since I have IBS, and any drastic increase or decrease in fat or fiber causes painful symptoms). It tends to be good for weight loss, because the fruit is replacing foods higher in calories and fat and lower in fiber, but I end up with abdominal cramps and sometimes even diarrhea.

As far as it goes, it's not the smartest choice in the world, but it's also not the dumbest. I'm not doing any permanent harm to my body and it's sort of fun to have something so special to look forward to, something I love so much it's worth a little discomfort.

I go through this to a lesser degree with other seasonal fruits - watermelon, lychee, honeycrips apples, and most recently cocktail fruit (not fruit cocktail - cocktail fruit or cocktail grapefruit is a pomelo/tangerine hybrid - looks like a deep green grapefruit).

There's enough water and fiber in fresh fruit, that I don't worry much about those overndulgences (they also tend to be self-limiting, because after the first stomach ache or two, I learn to be more careful).

However, I'm more careful with dried fruits, because the potential consequences are much more severe. I've learned to buy them from bulk bins so I can buy only maybe a quarter pound at a time. I have a bunch of plastic tupperware style containers that hold only 2 ounces (about 4 tablespoons), and I weigh and portion out dried fruit into those - usually with a half an ounce of nuts, which I also have to buy carefully. We buy those at a Big Lots type store in single-serving packages (and a single serving is actually about 2 to 4 servings). Combining the dried fruit with the nuts into a teeny container, and eating super slowly helps - but during some times (like PMS/TOM) it's safer just to keep them out of the house.

Use every trick you need to, in order to maintain a healthy diet/weight loss, but don't eliminate unless you have to.

CLCSC145
12-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Off limits, not really, but there are some I really have to be cautious around. Avocados and nuts come to mind. They're good for you, but they have the potential to have me eat too much of them. And too much comes so fast!

Trazey34
12-21-2009, 01:11 AM
I stay away from nuts, they're so goooood LOL i portion out almonds in tiny little bags for snacks, that helps. The "candy fruit", as in watermelon and pineapple, i have to limit too -- i could gobble the whole thing up! although, if it came down to a whole watermelon vs a whole bag of chips, well you get where i'm going with this...

rockinrobin
12-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Ubergirl, I hear you on the beans. They're a food I tend to overeat also. I can only (safely) eat them when they're sprinkled in a recipe, NOT the bulk of the recipe itself. Same thing goes with nuts. I STRICTLY use them ONLY in recipes - a handful in a salad, a tsp of chopped walnuts in a baked apple, etc. I NEVER eat them just on their own.

Guacamole - I eat that once in a while and portion off a very small amount. I'd have no problem eating the whole bowl.

Sweet potatoes - they're like candy to me. I eat them once in a while and only if I make just one at a time. Otherwise I'd most likely devour the whole bunch.

Kashi Go Lean cereal - I ate it for months and months straight - and then I started hitting the box. Buh bye Kashi Go Lean.

Grapes, cherries, even butternut squash at times I've overeaten. When that happens, I take them out of my diet for a while and then reintroduce them later.

Healthy foods is loaded with calories, make no mistake about it and can definitely get me into "trouble" at times. That's why I need the combination of the healthy foods WITH the calorie counting. Though sometimes that's not even enough to stop me from overdoing it. I'm always re-assessing, always making new rules, always taking some foods out of my diet. I'm just always on top of it, always recognizing that things and myself don't always stay the same. :dizzy:

lovemyboy
12-21-2009, 08:35 AM
I don't know how healthy it is. I don't think it has much nutritional value. Popcorn is my enemy. I cannot have it in the house. It is dangerous not only because the nutritional info/serving size info is hard to nail down. I mean who eats unpopped popcorn? Yet that is how they measure the nutrition on the label. The popped nutritional info varies widely. Last but certainly not least, I can easily mindlessly overeat popcorn regardless of whether or not I portion it out.

To a much lesser extent, I have to watch nuts, but not keep them out of the house.

TJFitnessDiva
12-21-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't have any healthy food off limits...I do have everything portioned out in little snack baggies though to keep be from going over board with things like cherries, grapes, etc.

Down here making a pot of beans on Monday is sort of a tradition and usually over rice. When I do make them I have a salad first and then eat the beans. This keeps me from getting up and getting more :)

ubergirl
12-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Ubergirl, I hear you on the beans. They're a food I tend to overeat also. I can only (safely) eat them when they're sprinkled in a recipe, NOT the bulk of the recipe itself. Same thing goes with nuts. I STRICTLY use them ONLY in recipes - a handful in a salad, a tsp of chopped walnuts in a baked apple, etc. I NEVER eat them just on their own.

Well, I'm GLAD to know I'm not the only one who can go overboard with beans. It's the recipes where beans are the bulk of the recipe that I have problems-- as a bean-lover, I have a lot of really delicious recipes. I'm using PAM instead of olive oil now, but otherwise, these are foods I've always loved.

I don't eat nuts at all. I have noticed I have to be careful around some root vegetables and butternut squash....

What I really seem able to control well: non-starchy veggies, lean proteins-- mostly fish and chicken broiled or poached. Whole grain bread. Single serving items, like 4oz cottage cheese, single serving cheese, yogurt.
I'm pretty good with fruit.

The next time I make beans, I'm going to try to make single serving portions and freeze the rest. If that doesn't work then they're going on the off limits cart for a while.

rockinrobin
12-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I have noticed I have to be careful around some root vegetables and butternut squash....

Even if I do tend to go a bit overboard on certain veggies, it's not all that big a deal because of their low calorie count - zucchini, broccoli, turnips, string beans, leafy salads, spinach, cukes, tomatoes & cauliflower comes quickly to mind. I enjoy them thoroughly and stick to those, especially during the week. The starchier ones - they very often do me in and I need to avoid them, mostly.

Fruits I also do better with the single serving type ones - ONE apple, ONE grapefruit, ONE pear, I don't go back for yet another one of those, as opposed to picking at cherries or grapes or cut up melon.

You gotta know your pitfalls - and how to avoid and work around them.

JulieJ08
12-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I loooove beans but I don't have a problem going overboard with them. But I also wouldn't consider 1/2 cup my limit. If I eat slowly, they're just too filling to overdo. I can do it if I eat too fast, but that equals stomach ache!

But of course our trouble foods are individuals to all of us. It's more the strategies that we may be able to borrow from someone that are useful. :)

ubergirl
12-21-2009, 01:44 PM
I dunno-- I can make a pot of lentil soup and make two meals of it... it's incredibly filling, but it doesn't give me a stomachache.. just a nice warm feeling inside....

WhitePicketFences
12-21-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't get to buy another head of cauliflower until next week, after my xmas trip (something else to look forward to -- I love cauliflower so, so much!)

No, I wasn't actually over my caloric range, but I'm willing to bet I shouldn't have eaten 2 heads over the course of 3 days. And you know where that sent me, to boot.

Incidentally, I am interested in anyone else's opinion of what should be a weekly cauliflower limit. I know how weird that might sound, but ... It is like my favorite food right now, that and yogurt (I eat 1 greek yogurt per day).

CLCSC145
12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Incidentally, I am interested in anyone else's opinion of what should be a weekly cauliflower limit. I know how weird that might sound, but ... It is like my favorite food right now, that and yogurt (I eat 1 greek yogurt per day).

I'm not sure how much counts as too much but I did find this on Wikipedia:

"Cruciferous vegetables can potentially be goitrogenic (inducing goiter formation). They contain enzymes that interfere with the formation of thyroid hormone. Cooking for 30 minutes significantly reduces the amount of goitrogens and nitriles. At high intake of crucifers, the goitrogens inhibit the incorporation of iodine into thyroid hormone and also the transfer of iodine into milk by the mammary gland."

Cruciferous veggies can also have pharmacological drug interactions.

I have no idea at what point you could impact your thyroid, but this just proves the truth of "too much of a good thing!"

rockinrobin
12-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Cauliflower is one of my favorite foods. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

I went through a cauliflower phase where I ate at least 3 cups a day (or about 1/2- 3/4 of a head depending on the size) for 5 - 6 days of the week. I had no negative affects from it.

And there are some days where I eat 3 - 4 yogurts a day.

LitChick
12-21-2009, 05:01 PM
I have learned that I can't have containers of nuts in the house - I will eat them continuously until they are gone.

I also cannot have the big bags of baked chips in the house - again, portion control is an issue.

But the single-serve options for each, those I can do and just have the one serving.

JulieJ08
12-21-2009, 05:47 PM
"Cruciferous vegetables can potentially be goitrogenic (inducing goiter formation). They contain enzymes that interfere with the formation of thyroid hormone. Cooking for 30 minutes significantly reduces the amount of goitrogens and nitriles. At high intake of crucifers, the goitrogens inhibit the incorporation of iodine into thyroid hormone and also the transfer of iodine into milk by the mammary gland."

OMG, may I never eat any cruciferous veggies cooked for 30 minutes! (roasting excepted)

kaplods
12-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I have low thyroid, and I've also been told and have read that about cruciferous veggies. Some books even advise avoiding them altogether (or cooking the life out of them).

I've chosen a different approach. Sea-vegetables (seaweeds) are said to have the opposite effect (eating them in excess can make you hyperthyroid), so I try to add those to my diet as regularly as cruciferous veggies, and hope they balance out in the end.

I figure it's a ying/yang kind of thing.

Passionista
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
I've considered WW but since the majority of the foods I eat are "zero" foods, the point system wouldn't really work for me. What I'm saying is, I can eat "healthy" foods to excess and can (and have) become fat doing it. Portion control is important.

TJFitnessDiva
12-21-2009, 06:51 PM
I've considered WW but since the majority of the foods I eat are "zero" foods, the point system wouldn't really work for me. What I'm saying is, I can eat "healthy" foods to excess and can (and have) become fat doing it. Portion control is important.

0+0 doesn't always equal 0pts ;) I lost the majority of my weight with WW and have decided to maintain with the point system instead of counting calories. I was starting to get a bit obsessed with CC lol

rockinrobin
12-21-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm another one who WW just wouldn't have worked for.

Me and free foods just wouldn't go together. I'm CERTAIN I'd abuse it and those "free" foods would be rather costly in the end.

ubergirl
12-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm another one who WW just wouldn't have worked for.

Me and free foods just wouldn't go together. I'm CERTAIN I'd abuse it and those "free" foods would be rather costly in the end.

Free food-- my two favorite words in the same sentence??? Sounds very dangerous.

saef
12-21-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm another one who has to watch it about nuts. But only under certain conditions: 1) If they are roasted, either dry-roasted or oily, in other words, if there's **crunch**; 2) I have a problem if there's a can at hand. Something about the picking from inside the can & the hand-to-mouth action is hard to stop & can get out of control. Pick, pop in mouth, pick, pop in mouth. Repeat till my hand is moving just a little too fast. And I am somewhat zoned out. That's the binge sign. That's when the can has to go. Immediately. Like it's radioactive.

So those cans of Planters mixed nuts that are on sale everywhere right now? Are the devil. But a bag of raw almonds isn't. Go figure.

(I don't expect anyone to share this idiosyncrasy -- I think we all respond to different cues based on our life experiences.)

Passionista
12-22-2009, 12:07 AM
0+0 doesn't always equal 0pts ;) I lost the majority of my weight with WW and have decided to maintain with the point system instead of counting calories. I was starting to get a bit obsessed with CC lol
Well, I really would like to try it, but I seriously eat so many foods that are on the "zero point" list with such frequency that I don't know if I'd lose well. Today, for instance, I made a soup with leek, tomato, celery, spinach and zucchini along with herbs and spices, no oil or salt and then added in measured amounts of lentils (the only thing with points in the meal). I ate this for 2 meals. The other meal, I had broccoli and cauliflower, again, with no salt or oil and ate several cups of that. I count those calories, because they add up when they are the bulk of my diet! I can see that the tendency to get obsessive is there with CC though, I sure do! :o

Goddess Jessica
12-22-2009, 12:43 AM
I can sit down with a gallon of beans and eat them all. They're so good!

I also think one avocado is a serving for one.

Whole eggs tend to be something I limit because I also could eat them all day.

And anything labeled "100 Calorie Pack" I tend to stay far away from because I can't just eat a pack.

catherinef
12-22-2009, 02:45 AM
Guacamole is bad, bad news for me. The irony here is I used to hate it, and when my mom was visiting in August, we were out, and she got some nachos, and we were discussing guacamole, and my hate for it, and she convinced me to try it. Evidently, I didn't hate guacamole, I just had never had GOOD guacamole before. Since I was looking to add some good fats to my diet, I thought this discovery was great. Uh, yeah. I'd have been better off continuing to think I hate it.

Beans and pulses can be bad news for me as well, but since I don't eat meat, they're kind of crucial, so I've learned to either make only exactly as much as my husband and I can eat in one go, or to get the leftovers into the freezer IMMEDIATELY.

Museli or any other kind of breakfast cereal/granola-y thing isn't even allowed into my house. Fortunately, the spouse doesn't like them, so I'm not depriving him due to my own woeful lack of self-control with those items. I'm OK with nuts, and can use them only sparingly without too much trouble.

steffiross33
12-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I sometimes think I could eat a whole watermelon. Of course I feel terribly bloated after but at least it is mostly water right? (Except of course for all the sugar...)

ubergirl
12-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I can sit down with a gallon of beans and eat them all. They're so good!

I also think one avocado is a serving for one.

Whole eggs tend to be something I limit because I also could eat them all day.

And anything labeled "100 Calorie Pack" I tend to stay far away from because I can't just eat a pack.

You're my sister from another mother. Ditto. Ditto. and Ditto.

caryesings
12-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Oddly, dark meat chicken. I cook with boneless, skinless thighs and have to be careful to only cook 1-2 servings as no matter how I prepare them, I'm going to eat them until they're gone. Don't have the same issue with the light meat. Suspect there is a nutrient (other than the higher sat fat) that my body/brain lights up when it gets a taste.

arumaru
12-23-2009, 02:14 AM
Nuts. I don't really eat them because they are very calorie dense and I always eat more of them than I should. They are addictive. You eat one handful and then go for another handful and so on.

Nada
12-23-2009, 09:04 AM
My "no-no" list is short: fried foods; chips (can't eat just one.....serving) and commercially baked sweets. No---no healthy foods there.

Mollewogg
08-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Cottage cheese...and this makes me sad because I love it and I'm realizing I just can't keep it in the house :(

kaplods
08-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't consider any foods entirely forbidden or off-limits, but instead I try to ask myself, "is this the best choice I'm willing to make, and am I prepared for the consequences of this choice."

Just as an extreme example, I am allergic or sensitive to wheat (mostly a skin reaction of red, puffy, and itchy patches on my face, hands, and feet).

When I "forbid" wheat, all I can think of is good, crusty home-made bread (a flavor and texture that no gluten-free bread can duplicate) or amazing thick-crust pizza.

So instead of forbidding it, when I get the craving, I ask myself "are you really willing to put up with two or three days of itchiness and red, flaky skin just to eat a slice of good bread or pizza. Isn't there something similar that will satisfy the craving without the negative consequences?"

That being said, there are foods (even those most people consider healthy) that I do choose to be very careful with (usually keeping out of the house).

I eat fruit, but can easily overeat many types. So my binge-fruits I usually keep in only small quantities, so that even if I overeat the fruit there's minimal consequences to doing so (one exception is Ranier cherries. The season is so short, and I love them so much that I do accept the consequences of bingeing on them (often regretting it after the fact).

Watermelon is another example for me too. I allow myself only a few watermelons per summer, because hubby doesn't like watermelon, so it's only me eating it and I can easily eat a whole watermelon in a day.

I try to eat paleo, but I don't follow a paleo diet so strictly that I forbid all non-paleo foods. I'm more likely to happily give in to the occasional quinoa dairy, or lentil craving than one for wheat or processed sugar.

I suspect that learning to compromise and to accept less-than-perfect behavior and results from myself is largely responsible for my unprecedented success not just in weight loss, but in maintaining the losses and maintaining the vigilance (not deciding to give up, even when I stumble and fall - over and over and over again).

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-04-2012, 03:07 PM
YES, I have to measure PASTA, RICE, and CEREALS, or I would eat too much of them. Salted or flavored NUTS cause me a problem too, but I can eat NON-salted ones & count them out (i.e 7 @ a time).

And like GODDESS JESSICA, the 100-cal packs of so-called healthy treats and some bars are no good for me; I would eat more than one, esp the ones covered with chocolate.

Any food that is a "trigger" food for me (healthy or not), I just sub with something else now. Through a lot of trial & error, I now have a good variety of things that I can have in the house and not worry about them being there.