Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #1  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Default Venting: Health insurance

I quit my job in 2006 to open my own business. It was naive of me to think it wouldn't be hard for me to get health insurance... I was turned down because of my weight and because I had been treated for depression. The denial letter I got from the insurance company said to be reconsidered I needed to be under 235 pounds for at least 6 months. Well, I'm there now, so I called them to find out how it should be documented (Has to go in my medical charts). Fine.

So I asked the lady if she thought I would now be able to be insured once the 6 months had passed. She said that I needed to be symptom and treatment free from major depression for 5 YEARS before they would consider me. I'm on medication and see my doctor regularly for it, and don't see that changing as it keeps my depression in check. So much for treatment free.

I could just cry. I am never going to be able to get insurance!!!!!!! I guess I'll just have to wait for however long health care reform takes to force an insurance company to take me and pray I don't get sick or have an accident in the meantime.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 12-17-2009 at 06:29 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 148/143/120

Height: 5'0"

OMG that is HORRIBLE! That makes me so angry with insurance companies. You're supposed to avoid treatment for an illness in order to be able to get insurance? What kind of policy is that?! Ugh! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.
untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

And people think our health care system is good enough.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

I'm feeling a little less hopeless now. I found a website for people having trouble finding insurance because of pre-existing conditions and they send your information to several insurance brokers to try to find something for you. We'll see what that turns up.

I'm willing to pay for insurance, that's what's so frustrating.

End of rant!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 12-17-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
And people think our health care system is good enough.
Agreed.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

The thing that kills me about the current proposed health care reform is that one of the answers is to REQUIRE people who have no insurance to purchase some. Hello?? The reason they don't have it is because they cannot AFFORD to purchase it, in many cases! How is requiring a poor person to buy something they can't afford, "reform"?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #7  
Never want to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
And I read today that as the health reform bill stands today, it would still allow insurance companies to deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions. That just boggles my mind. It's exactly where we are today.
I need to correct what I wrote. This was something Howard Dean said, but I just read something else that said he didn't know what he was talking about and that pre-existing conditions denials would stop. Can't believe anyone, even me!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #8  
Never want to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
The thing that kills me about the current proposed health care reform is that one of the answers is to REQUIRE people who have no insurance to purchase some. Hello?? The reason they don't have it is because they cannot AFFORD to purchase it, in many cases! How is requiring a poor person to buy something they can't afford, "reform"?
Don't forget they will be penalized by the IRS if they don't buy it! I guess there would be hardship waivers, but I can't see them handing those out readily.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #9  

You need to get in touch with your State Insurance inspectors office or whatever your state calls it. Insurance companies are out there that will insure you. Have you only tried one?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #10  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Don't get me started- hubby and I pay a buttload for insurance. I finally got on a medication that helps me with my condition and my current doctor took her SWEET *** TIME getting me the prescription due to insurance issues- and THEN to top it all off my company is changing insurance and though I was due for a refill last week I can't get it cuz my current insurance refuses to pay for it now since I'm changing insurance companies in January! I'm like really wtf- I still PAID for my insurance for up to December 31st!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote