100 lb. Club - Let's talk salad/baked potatoes

View Full Version : Let's talk salad/baked potatoes

Eliana
12-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Hello! Having done South Beach in the past (low-carb) I have it in my head that baked potatoes are bad. I also have it in my head that salads with olive oil or canola oil based (homemade) dressings are good.

Are baked potatoes considered healthy these days? I looked it up and a whole baked potato is only 145 calories! I should be able to have 1/2 a baked potato, a little Smart Balance butter and nice salad with homemade dressing and still come in around 200 calories, right?

Do you guys make baked potatoes and salads part of your diet and still lose? To me, this is a very satisfying meal and I'l like to enjoy it without the onset of guilt.:dizzy:

duckyyellowfeet
12-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I read an article yesterday from yahoo that said keeping potatoes within a healthy diet is a great idea. If you're not on a carb-overload the rest of the day, I think they are really healthy. As for salads, I have a couple non-fat, low calorie dressings that I love.

Maybe throw some chicken on the salad for some protein...and that sounds like a delicious lunch or dinner to me!

nelie
12-17-2009, 04:10 PM
One thing I'd say is be sure to weigh your potatoes :) I bought russets before that were about 400 calories per potato. (Calorie king shows 422 calories per pound of potatoes)

I think a potato is good food and can be very filling. If you like potatoes, no reason to not include them in your diet plan. I liked them sprinkled with garlic powder and black pepper and nothing else.

In summer, I generally eat lots of salads but fall/winter, I rarely eat salads. The produce just isn't as fresh and salads tend to chill me a bit. I get excited though in spring/summer when I eat good salads regularly.

JulieJ08
12-17-2009, 04:40 PM
I was never one who cared for baked potatoes, but I love herby, roasted potatoes, and potatoes in soups and salads.

Potatoes have a lot of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, especially potassium. They even have some fiber and protein.

medinazarley
12-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I love lov elove baked potatoes. I'm a fan of the stuffed baked potatoes as meals. Usually i use a small potato and over load on veggies and stuff. I like chicken & veggies w/a little cheese for a kind of american thing, and taco meat, cheese, beans, tomatoes, onions, and salsa for a more south of the border meal. these combo well with a small salad for a filling dinner.

CLCSC145
12-17-2009, 05:07 PM
I do like potatoes, but I don't really eat them because for me, what made them good was all the bad things I put in them! Butter, sour cream, maybe cheese or bacon, salt, etc. Sigh. They just aren't the same without those things to me.

Salads are great, but again it's all about what you put in them and how much dressing you use. Oil, even the healthy kinds, add up quickly at 120 calories and 14 grams of fat a tablespoon. But if you can make it without much oil or use it sparingly it can be be very healthy.

Kae
12-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Mmm... baked potato. That sounds tasty. Ooo... I think I will pick up some sweet potatoes to bake this weekend. Thanks for the yummy idea!

beerab
12-17-2009, 05:29 PM
If you eat the peel too that's even better- I LOVE to scrub the potato, poke some holes in it for venting- coat it in a bit of olive oil and salt or herbs and then bake them- you get a super crispy peel and it's full of flavor! My husband loves when I make it this way- and he's the kind of guy who NEVER eats the peel! Don't cover it in foil cuz then the skin won't get crispy.

luckymommy
12-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I think they're considered healthy these days. ;) Things are always changing, but you can never argue with the calories, so if you weigh them, as mentioned above, you're in good shape.

I think there was a little something about it either on The Biggest Loser or maybe it was the Dr. Oz show? Anyway, I think they put some nonfat Greek yogurt on top instead of sour cream, you could add chives, whatever else you like. That sounds like a great idea! I think I might just do that too! Thanks!

Trazey34
12-17-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm Irish so i love potatoes, and my favourites are boiled (yes boiled) new potatoes, just some pepper on 'em swooooon LOL but i do like the convenience of a baked potato for supper - sometimes i'll have one with sauteed onions and peppers on it and it's delish!

beautifulone
12-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I've never made baked potatoes. Does it take long to bake a potato? And are regular potatoes as good if baked whole, or do you buy the special big ones?

What I have done before is cut a potato into small squares, seasoned with dry or fresh dill, a little black pepper sometimes, and a little salt. Sometimes I added a little oil and sometimes I forewent the oil. Then baked at 400-425, depending on how quickly I needed them. Yummy too.

Eliana
12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Man, I love forums! I learn so much.

Beautiful one, I buy the big potatoes, scrub the skin, wrap it in foil and bake about 2 hours at 350.

I LOVE the ideas here about how to load them! Toppings can definitely add up.

Nelie, I'm so glad you said to weigh it! Online I thought it was 145 calories, but when I weighed it, it was actually 260! :o But it was still ok with just a half. And I measure out my salad dressing to get a good feel for how bad that was. I make my own dressing so I know exactly what's in it. I measured out 1 Tablespoon and was surprised at how much that is. I poured it over a salad that served all four of us and felt like I actually drenched it with that Tablespoon. I estimate the dressing was about 30 calories per person.

beautifulone
12-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Beautiful one, I buy the big potatoes, scrub the skin, wrap it in foil and bake about 2 hours at 350.

Thanks for letting me know :)

Matilda08
12-17-2009, 08:50 PM
I love potatoes too but I dont eat them very often because for me carbs stop me from losing. I dont cut carbs out but I do try to limit them. What I found to love though are sweet potatoes. ANd when I do eat white potatoes I try to chop them up and add them in my bakes steaks or something like that so that I dont eat a whole entire potatoe.

For me the rule of thumb is not really what I eat but how much I eat. Most things arent as good health wise when you eat it too much. That being said if you eat one here or there minus all the extra stuff like cheese sour cream bacon bits etc. lol you should be fine.

ubergirl
12-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Salads are great, but again it's all about what you put in them and how much dressing you use. Oil, even the healthy kinds, add up quickly at 120 calories and 14 grams of fat a tablespoon. But if you can make it without much oil or use it sparingly it can be be very healthy.

Sadly, I've pretty much given up salad since I started counting calories. For the first couple of months, I ate a variety of cooked and raw vegetable salads with olive oil vinaigrette-- I was careful with the olive oil and measured it, but it just wasn't working for me. The 200-300 calories I was getting from the oil made me cut back on other calorie sources. Unfortunately for me, I really don't like any lo-cal dressings, but I know many people do.

So, now I eat a lot of cooked veggies, especially sauteed with PAM and a little vegetable broth, or I season veggies with rice wine vinegar, but I just can't eat salad right now. Sigh.

rakel
12-17-2009, 10:59 PM
ubergirl: I don't eat a lot of salads either, and when I do it's only a small side salad. I find if I eat a larger salad I just put too much dressing that overpowers any benefit of having the salad, and like you I am not huge on the lo-cal dressings. I did kinda like the wishbone dressing sprays, I should probably get those again. My favorite dressing is french... I ate some italian/vinaigrette dressings for awhile but got burnt out on them. French is always my standby! I don't like salads as a meal, because I tend to get hungry later, and I actually prefer to not put meat on a salad - a hard boiled egg yes, chicken, eh, not so much. I do like some ham on it though when I have it.

I really enjoy fresh veggies steamed, or even sauteed in olive oil, and sprinkled with fresh garlic & herbs. Mmmm.

Oh, and for the topic of this thread: I do incorporate potatoes of all kinds in my diet. I think it's fine... a fresh potato you prepare in your home is a lot better then any of the processed carbs you could be having, and they are quite filling. I have to say though, I really do enjoy my sour cream on it. I generally get light sour cream, mostly because fat free is kinda gross. I might have to try that greek yogurt though. I do like doing a stuffed baked potato as a meal, though. Some chicken or steak, sauteed peppers, onions & mushrooms, sour cream, salt and pepper!

shcirerf
12-17-2009, 11:43 PM
I love baked potatoes. I use ff sour cream.

You can also cook them in the microwave, small to med tater 5 minutes or so depending on your microwave. If you want to do more, the lazy way, scrub them and put them in your crock pot in the morning, set on low, do NOT add any water, and when you get home they are done! Totally changes the flavor. Gives them a kind of nutty, rich flavor.

And, if you need a whole lot for a special occasion, like a rehearsal supper or something, don't scrub them by hand, toss them in the dishwasher, NO SOAP, and run on heated wash and dry, they will be clean as a whistle and almost totally cooked!

catherinef
12-18-2009, 03:38 AM
I've only recently added the occasional baked potato back into my diet. Potatoes can be a terrible trigger food for me, so I took a long break from them. So far, so good. I made one for dinner the other night, because I had just about half a cup of a vegan chili I'd made a few nights before left, and I had the potato with that poured over the top, and about a tablespoon of low-fat sour cream. It was incredibly satisfying and amazingly filling, and didn't make me feel all binge-y, so I think my cautious reintroduction to potatoes may be successful.

JustBeckyV
12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I LOVE potatoes too - baked fried roasted mashed lol I usually avoid them now though. THe carbs just don't do well for me. I have too many carbs in other things -- I avoid most breads too though but I do have a light bread and a potato on occassion.

FitGirlyGirl
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
It's all about balance. Of course you can eat potatoes, just not every day, every meal - but then that is true of most foods.

Those of you who aren't eating salad because of the calories in the dressing and not liking the low cal dressings - I use fat free, plain yogurt and add herbs. This makes an awesome creamy salad dressing. It also goes well on the potatoes, pasta, sandwiches, cooked veggies. I use plain yogurt in place of lots of sauces, mayo, sour cream, salad dressing.

Eliana
12-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Those of you who aren't eating salad because of the calories in the dressing and not liking the low cal dressings - I use fat free, plain yogurt and add herbs. This makes an awesome creamy salad dressing. It also goes well on the potatoes, pasta, sandwiches, cooked veggies. I use plain yogurt in place of lots of sauces, mayo, sour cream, salad dressing.

Once again, I love forums. I will have to try this!

Goddess Jessica
12-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Nelie - SO SMART. I wouldn't even think to weigh them but yes!

I top mine with cottage cheese, garlic powder, and pepper. It adds protein and still gives me a "creamy" experience.

ubergirl
12-18-2009, 11:20 PM
It's all about balance. Of course you can eat potatoes, just not every day, every meal - but then that is true of most foods.

Hmm. Might be worth a try. I do like plain yogurt. But the only kind of salad dressing I actually like is homemade olive oil vinaigrette. It's healthy, but I'm not happy with one TBS and if I put more than a TBS then I feel like it's too many calories out of my day.

But I might like plain yogurt as dressing if I put the right herbs in it. Thanks for the suggestion.

catherinef
12-19-2009, 04:54 AM
My go-to salad dressing is actually kind of like tzatziki. I finely chop up a cucumber, and loads of fresh herbs (mint and dill, usually, but I'm flexible) and mix it into low-fat plain or Greek yogurt. Sometimes, I add in some finely minced white or green onion. Depending on how thick it is, it also makes a pretty snazzy dip for crudites.

Lucky Charm
12-19-2009, 05:10 PM

That is such a wonderful idea! I never thought about yogurt based dressings.

Unfortunately, I'm such a novice in the kitchen and the only yogurt-based dressing/dips I know how to make are those sauces you get in the Indian restaurants... yogurt with salt, pepper, crushed cumin and green chili+mint paste. It's nice but does anyone have more suggestions on how to make more dressings that are yogurt-based?

lonegirl
12-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I love baked potatoes. Salsa is a great topping. I also often whip nonfat cottage cheese to the consistency of sour cream and add chives to have a protein packed healthy topping.

ubergirl
12-21-2009, 10:48 PM
My go-to salad dressing is actually kind of like tzatziki. I finely chop up a cucumber, and loads of fresh herbs (mint and dill, usually, but I'm flexible) and mix it into low-fat plain or Greek yogurt. Sometimes, I add in some finely minced white or green onion. Depending on how thick it is, it also makes a pretty snazzy dip for crudites.

Mmm. That sounds right up my alley. I'm going to try that.

ubergirl
12-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I love baked potatoes. Salsa is a gave topping. I also often whip nonfat cottage cheese to the consistency of sour cream and add chives to have a protein packed healthy topping.

Yum. Another good idea.

Passionista
12-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Low or no fat Greek yogurt on baked potatoes or in mashed potatoes=yum!

kaplods
12-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Another great salad dressing secret is rice wine vinegar (or sometimes called rice vinegar).

Don't bother with the seasoned, and if you can buy it from an asian grocery store, all the better (the quality is better, the bottles are bigger, and the prices are better).

Most rice wine vinegars are much milder and less sharp than most other vinegars, so you can use a lot more. With regular vinegars I really only like the classic ratio (2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar), but with rice wine vinegar I can use a lot less oil (at worst, 2 parts vinegar to 1 part oil). I do like a little oil on iceberg lettuce dressings, but on leaf lettuce and cabbage I don't mind no oil at all (as long as the vinegar is a good rice wine vinegar).

The rice wine vinegar can also be used to dilute your favorite salad dressing recipe or favorite bottled dressing.

I go through about a quart a month, though I also use it for quick, refrigerator pickles (rice wine vinegars are rarely acidic enough to use in canned pickles).

cathydoe
12-23-2009, 01:43 PM
What great ideas!

I like cottage cheese on my baked tater...I'll have to try some of the ideas here.

My dh likes to order a plain tater when we go to Wendy's and then he puts their chilli on it.

Has anyone seen those potato bags for sale at craft fairs? I just wrap my potato in a kitchen towel when I microwave it. It seems 2 work great.

Thank you everyone for the ideas!!

sidhe
12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Hmm. Might be worth a try. I do like plain yogurt. But the only kind of salad dressing I actually like is homemade olive oil vinaigrette. It's healthy, but I'm not happy with one TBS and if I put more than a TBS then I feel like it's too many calories out of my day.

But I might like plain yogurt as dressing if I put the right herbs in it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you just pour your dressing on your salad, in the bowl, or do you add it to the salad bowl and toss it, THEN put it in a salad bowl for yourself? When you toss your salads with the dressings, it distributes really nicely and you can use far, far less--but you get the same yummy taste. Just an idea!

As for baked potatoes, try topping it with FF or RF Ranch dressing. I saw a friend do this years ago and it's yumminess. Mmmmmm. You don't need a lot, either--drizzle some dressing on, use your fork to mash it up, and eat. Yum!

rakel
12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Ok, so I just ate some greek yogurt with cherry, and I have to say it is pretty good. However, before I mixed in the cherry, I tasted it plain, and I have to say it comes pretty darn close to sour cream. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can substitute it without feeling the least bit different about it. The true test is to see if I could put it past my picky husband.

Arctic Mama
12-28-2009, 05:01 PM
I just nuke my potatoes, instead of oven baking them. Fast and tasty!

My favorite way to have potatoes? With a good dousing of Malt Vinegar! It is super tasty and adds almost no additional calories :)

StarryEyes86
12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
I love potatoes in the worst way. In fact, there's 3 bags of frozen mashed potatoes from Christmas that are just calling my name. But alas, I must refrain because I'm still trying to work on self-control. Maybe in few weeks. I normally HATE salad but the baked potatoe/salad combo sounds delicious!

Lovin' the tips, BTW!

Lyn2007
12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
The most nutritious part of the potato is the skin. And I love the skin. So I bake/roast the potatoes rubbed with olive oil, salt & pepper. Skin gets crispy. Then I halve the potatoes and scoop out most of the filling. I mash that with butter for my little girl who loves potatoes and is skinny as a rail! Then I eat the skins, either plain or dipped in light sour cream with bacon bits, or I rebake the skins with a sprinkle of light cheese. Or, take the skin "shells" and fill them with veggie chili OR broccoli w/light cheese OR baked beans. Yummy stuff. Also, sweet potatoes are better for you I believe, so I make those more often (baked fries, usually).

Salad = baby spinach, other greens & veggies, a fruit (mandarin oranges, chopped apples, sliced pears, strawberries, pomegranates, or blueberries), a Nut (walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds), a fatty flavor enhancer (crumbled bacon, shredded light cheese, gorgonzola, blue cheese, or avocado), sometimes a protein (grilled chicken breast, tuna, leftover salmon, sliced cold beef roast or pork tenderloin or a hard boiled egg), and a dressing which is a vinaigrette or a homemade apple cider dressing. Great stuff!

Beverlyjoy
12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Great ideas here. Yes, I eat potatoes sometimes. A calorie is a calorie for me. FF sour cream, cottage cheese, or light margerine.

WhitePicketFences
12-29-2009, 11:19 AM
I like white/red potatoes and make them sometimes (3 times this past fall/winter season that I recall). Sweet potatoes are considered healthier, so there's that. Though I too still love a (somewhat frivolous) white one.

As a calorie counter, like Beverlyjoy was just saying, I am comfortable with potato, and gnocchi, lately -- but I am judicious in my use of 'white carb' calories, for overall health reasons. I usually spread out their incorporation. Not in the same day/days.

Over christmas we were staying with relatives and I feel I had my feel of those kinds of grains. A Hawaiian roll, etc. All fit neatly into my calorie count but in lieu of that I'm making a particular concentration on whole grains this week. Feels good to be back to my oatmeal, my brown rice, all that.

JulieJ08
12-29-2009, 12:39 PM
The most nutritious part of the potato is the skin. And I love the skin. So I bake/roast the potatoes rubbed with olive oil, salt & pepper. Skin gets crispy. Then I halve the potatoes and scoop out most of the filling. I mash that with butter for my little girl who loves potatoes and is skinny as a rail! Then I eat the skins, either plain or dipped in light sour cream with bacon bits, or I rebake the skins with a sprinkle of light cheese.

Nice idea!

StarryEyes86
12-29-2009, 12:51 PM
The most nutritious part of the potato is the skin. And I love the skin. So I bake/roast the potatoes rubbed with olive oil, salt & pepper. Skin gets crispy. Then I halve the potatoes and scoop out most of the filling. I mash that with butter for my little girl who loves potatoes and is skinny as a rail! Then I eat the skins, either plain or dipped in light sour cream with bacon bits, or I rebake the skins with a sprinkle of light cheese. Or, take the skin "shells" and fill them with veggie chili OR broccoli w/light cheese OR baked beans. Yummy stuff. Also, sweet potatoes are better for you I believe, so I make those more often (baked fries, usually).

Salad = baby spinach, other greens & veggies, a fruit (mandarin oranges, chopped apples, sliced pears, strawberries, pomegranates, or blueberries), a Nut (walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds), a fatty flavor enhancer (crumbled bacon, shredded light cheese, gorgonzola, blue cheese, or avocado), sometimes a protein (grilled chicken breast, tuna, leftover salmon, sliced cold beef roast or pork tenderloin or a hard boiled egg), and a dressing which is a vinaigrette or a homemade apple cider dressing. Great stuff!

Goodness...that sounds delish!