Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #1  
MsWannaBSlim

S/C/G: 230/179/159 lbs

Height: 5' 4"

Default Stroke or just too out of shape?

Hello Ladies, Looking for some insight. I have been watching my diet and exercising since September. I eat 5 or 6 small meals a day of low fat protein, lots of fruit and veggies and some unrefined carbs. I am about 2/3 of the way to my goal. Was feeling good, but 2 nights ago I was on my treadmill warming up for about 5 minutes, then did some circuits (jump rope, squats, etc.) for about 15 mins then I got extremely dizzy. My heart was pounding, couldn't catch my breath, starting seeing white spots and barely made to the stairs before I could call my daughter, who was in the kitchen, to get her dad. I was nauseaus, and felt like I couldn't get enough air or slow my heart down. It felt like I was going to go out any second. After about 10 minutes of breathing slowly, I was good enough to slowly walk up the stairs with the help of my hubby. Sat on the couch for another hour or so before I was not dizzy and felt well enough to go to bed. It came on extremely fast and was pretty scarey.
Last night, walked on the treadmill again but thought I better take it easy. Barely broke warm up mode for the full 45 minutes - if I tried turning the speed up I would start to feel dizzy. When I was finished my slow walk I felt mildly dizzy for about 15 - 20 minutes before I felt okay again.
I am really tired. Not feeling myself. Going to see the doctor today.
So, am I crazy for imagining there might be bigger issues at play and just out of shape? Can anyone relate to this experience? I am only 34 so part of me thinks I am over reacting. Hubby is out of town tonight and made me promise not to work out until he's back on Friday Just don't want anything to mess with my progress
MsWannaBSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

im glad you are going to the doctor! it sounds like they need to do some tests. It doesnt really sound like a stroke to me but it could be a prob with yer blood sugar or heart. Keep us posted. that's scary stuff right there.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I've had that type of experience, but I was doing a workout much too strenous for my fitness level at the time. It could be that you're out of shape, but I think it's definitely good that you're going to the doctor to make sure. As she mentioned above, bloodsugar issues are a major possibility with those kinds of symptoms. I had these dizzy spell things when I was a kid, the first thing the doctors did was test me for diabetes (which I didn't have and they were quite stumped after that- the spells went away on their own).
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #4  

You really do need to see your doctor. What you have experienced are more the signs of heart problems than a stroke. Anytime you think you might be having a stroke, get to an emergency room as fast as you can. There is a drug they can give you that will vastly reduce the after effects.

I have COPD and had also been used to exercising daily. Suddenly I became very short of breath and felt like I was having an asthma attack (I have severe asthma as well as COPD). Well, it was actually pulmonary hypertension which is caused by an elargement of the right side of the heart. Good thing I went to the doctor. By the way, I still have to exercise to keep the 40% lung function I still have, but it has to be more gentle so I ride an exercise bike and do yoga.

I hope everything is okay with you.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #5  
MsWannaBSlim

S/C/G: 230/179/159 lbs

Height: 5' 4"

Thumbs up

So, I went to my Doc. Went for an EKG and bunch of blood work before Xmas. She said she would call within 4 days if anything abnormal came up. If nothing abnormal she wanted to see me after xmas. The great news is there is nothing abnormal on my tests!! She said it's could be stress related, over working myself. She said I should take a week or two off strenuous exercise, limited to walking at a normal pace.

It's been a few weeks and now I am supposed to take it easy with the work outs but not to quit which I am soooo happy to hear. She said if I have any similar episodes to get to the emergency room right away - which I now know - wasn't sure if I was over reacting before.

I've been back on the treadmill, walking at a pace I am comfortable that I won't feel dizzy or sick - and feeling pretty good. I am at STILL 195 (Major relief!!) which is pretty good considering the lack of strenous exercise and way to much over eating during the holiday season

A good friend of mine told me "worry less about what you eat between Christmas and New Years and more about what you eat between New Years and Christmas"! Great advice!

Just wanted to let everyone know it appears I am OK and will be okay, especially if I stay on my path of a long, healthy life
MsWannaBSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #6  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I'm glad you're okay! I had a similar thing happen once when I tried to jump right in and exercise like I used to after being sedentary for a long time...silly me! It was VERY scary.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote