Old 12-16-2009, 02:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Default Low carb induction question

I recently started Protein Power Life Plan, because I never could get through the Atkins Induction before. However I have been keeping my carbs between 15 to 20 carbs daily. Didn't plan it just has fallen that way so figured what the heck. Maybe I would go with it and do more of an Atkins type induction for a couple of weeks and then ease into more carbs.

I am experiencing hay fever symptoms. I've had allergy problems in the past but never like this. I saw somewhere, I think on another site, where someone noted they were having what they called Atkins flu. So I'm just wondering if this is normal and perhaps my body is adjusting to my strict low carb? Thanks for your help.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Trish!
Yup, sounds like you're experiencing "Induction Flu". It can be rough but, the good news is, it doesn't last long and once your body adjusts to your new way of eating, it does go away.
My DBF lost 35 lbs doing the Protein Power Life Plan. Dr. Michael Eades & his wife, Dr. Mary Dan Eades are excellent.
You CAN do this!!
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Thanks Kim for the encouragment. You are the reason I decided to try PP in the first place. I saw your answer to someone who wanted to know the difference in Atkins and PP. Since I have always had a difficult time getting through the Atkins Induction, I decided to buy the PP book and try it. I haven't been 100% all the time, because I didn't have the book yet. I just started counting the carbs on my own. Now I have the book and I think I'm psychologically ready for it now. I remember a druggest telling me some 30+ years ago that you have to be mentally ready to diet. I didn't really understand what he meant until now. I finished reading the book today. I can't always eat 34 grams of protein at a meal so I am spreading them out throughout the day. I read somewhere how to figure out the minimum amount of protein I need each day. So just trying to get the minimum in for the day. Suddenly I find that I do believe that low carb is not only very doable for me, but I believe it is the only way for me to eat and lose weight.

I found the Banting story on line and printed it out and read it. I am amazed at how healthy eating low carb is. It seems to correct just about everything that can be wrong with ones body or at least improve what it doesn't correct. Makes you wonder why doctors can't see the importance of eating low carb. I love the benefits I will get from low carbing.

BTW, Kim, I noticed that you recently made you 6 yr anniversary on Atkins. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are an inspiration. Thanks again for your help.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Trish,
I'm very happy to hear Protein Power is working for you! Its a good plan, there are some differences between it & Atkins....but, nothing too drastic. They have an informative website and Dr. Mike writes a very interesting blog (I subscribe to it via email).
Unfortunately, the majority of Dr's are clueless when it comes to low carb. My Dad is a type 2, insulin dependant diabetic, when his blood sugar levels were high his Dr. recommended he eat meat, eggs, cheese, veggies, fruit.....ummmm HELLO, thats low carb!!! Anyway, I got the Atkins Diabetes Revolution book for my Mom, she read it, got my Dad on the plan and I'm very happy to report his blood sugar is now at favorable levels
I appreciate your kind words Trish. I'll be celebrating 6 years on Atkins in April, its been 1 of the best things I've ever done in my life!
All the best to you!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote