Exercise! - adductor muscle

View Full Version : adductor muscle

12-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm hoping that any of the trainers or exercise experts on here can offer me some advice. I pulled my groin muscle (adductor) well over a year ago when I first started going the gym. I was too eager to get fit and uneducated about the weight machines where I'm convinced is where the injury occurred. Probably on those stupid thigh machines that I would do using way to heavy of weights. The pull was mild but has been persistent.

I've tried to heal it myself by doing certain exercises I've found on the Net. The thing is that I will get it to where I think it's all healed up and then a day out where I'm walking too fast or getting up and down will set it off again. I know the treadmill hurts the muscle so I will go weeks not using it, only to get going again and have it act up. I've tried ice and heat and that doesn't do much good.

My boyfriend wants me to see a doctor. I would rather not, but am almost to the point of agreeing. I'm sick of the random bouts of pain and REALLY sick of not being able to do any kind of intense cardio. Right now I stick with the elliptical and even that has me worried.

So what should I do? Have any of you dealt with a hurt adductor, and what did you do to heal it and resume a normal life?

12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Pita, you need to get it checked out. If this has been an issue for a whole year, something more than a strained or pulled muscle might be going on. It sounds like you've done all the right things with rest, ice and heat, so you need a doctor to look at it. I know it's not what you want to hear, but you've probably exhausted the limits of self-help.

I think we're all Queens of Denial when it comes to injury and we try to exercise regardless, but the pain is telling you that something is wrong. I know it's important for you to stay active, so you need to get checked out and on the road to recovery. :hug:

And once you're all healed, stay away from the abductor and adductor machines! You'll get much better results from compound exercises that use all your lower body muscles, like squats and lunges. :)

Be sure to let us know what you find out!

12-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks Meg. The boyfriend gave me that, "See, I was right" look. He also requested that I ask you if I should be making an appointment with my regular PC or seeing a specialist. And if yes to the specialist what kind would you recommend?

12-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Tell your BF that I'm not that smart! :lol: Seriously, I'm not sure who you should see but I myself would start with my PCP, just because I wouldn't know where else to go. It's probably not an orthopedic issue, but perhaps there's a sports medicine doctor who could help. Your PCP will know.

:hug: Good luck!

12-15-2009, 09:43 PM
start with your general practitioner. Your insurance company might be unhappy (read:will refuse to pay) for a self referrel in this instance. Your GP will know whether you need a specialist, or if another recover is needed. Most likely you will either get a refferal or be sent home with PT intructions and pain meds.

Good luck!