Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Default Not sure if I belong here.......

Okay, today I hit my Christmas goal. I have bounced my original goal weight around quite a bit since starting...... but last night I had an epiphany. While I was jogging, I realized that I am comfortable with my weight right now. I can run/jog a mile without stopping, I am in my goal jeans, and I am healthier than I have been in my adult life (IMO), and I look better than I have as an adult life (IMO). Even in my 20s-- I was "flabby", but thanks to 6 months of hard work in a boot camp program I am pretty muscular. Anyway, back to the epiphany..... while I was jogging, I was thinking of going into the New Year at my current weight and I realized I am fine with it. The "medical charts" say that I should weight no more than 175...... which would be great..... but I want a stable weight that I can live life at and not yo yo. I have been on the WL/yo-yo ride waaaayyyyyy toooooo looong! Don't get me wrong...... I am not going to get off the "weight conscious" boat. I realize (now) that I will always have to watch what I eat and what I weigh...... and I am okay with that. My DH has asked that I help him lose weight (he is a big guy) so I know that eating carefully will be part of my life.....

So, my ultimate question is-- do I belong in the maintenance threads? I could lose another 10 pounds, but if not.... I am fine where I am.

Thanks for listening to my ramble.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 364/ticker/199

Height: 5'11"

I think it's important to remember that the "ideal body weight" graphs are a generalization. No two people are created equal. With my huge frame (I can't even close my hand around my bony wrists) I will most likely be healthier at the top end of my healthy range. If you are where you are happy being, and you want to maintain there, then you better believe you belong here! You've accomplished a significant weight loss, and you should be proud of yourself!
Sonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Of course you belong in maintenance. Congratulations !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #4  
Workin' It

You absolutely belong in the maintenance section! Welcome, and congratulations!

I think it was Meg who said that anyone who had last even one pound and kept it off was a maintainer.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #5  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I had a little debate with myself before re-starting to lose those last few pounds. I feel great so health is not the major concern anymore.

I only came up with 2 reasons:

I probably could run faster if I took off 10-15 pounds, and
I'm really curious to see what I would look like one size smaller.

At your height and muscular, I'll bet 185 looks just right!
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Lady, you've been a maintainer since you lost your first pound! Many of us have our ups and downs (as you can see from my tickers...), change our goals, and do various other modifications after hitting our original goals. Please join in any of the threads here, especially our weekly chat thread!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #7  
Chuggin' along...

Ladyrider, you most definitely belong in maintenance! As has already been said, even if you weren't at goal, maintaining what you've already lost is maintenance of a sort. A 1-lb loss puts a person in maintenance, in my opinion!

"Ideal maintenance weight" is a discussion that comes up often here. We have some different ideas, but I think we all agree that a person's maintenance weight is a personal decision, and shouldn't be governed by some chart made by someone who's never met you.

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments. Hop in anywhere you feel comfortable!. Welcome!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, yes, yes - you belong here. Congrats on the great weight loss and WELCOME!!

Quote:
Don't get me wrong...... I am not going to get off the "weight conscious" boat. I realize (now) that I will always have to watch what I eat and what I weigh...... and I am okay with that. My DH has asked that I help him lose weight (he is a big guy) so I know that eating carefully will be part of my life.....
And this really is the key. There can be no going back to "the old ways", the ways that got us to be overweight in the first place. You'll find that most of us here in Maintenance Land adhere to the same exact principles, save a few extra calories and/or an occasional splurge here and there, that we used to lose the weight. I for one still plan ahead, track my calories, stick to a health-ful diet, exercise frequently, weigh often - in other words I still eat carefully, responsibly and intelligently. It is a lifetime commitment. But so unbelievably rewarding!!!!

I look forward to getting to know you better.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #9  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Default Welcome

I, too, think you belong here.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I bet you look just fantastic. Maintain away!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Whoa, Julie!! THat's an amazing picture in your avatar. I'm assuming it's you, you are amazing!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Whoa, Julie!! THat's an amazing picture in your avatar. I'm assuming it's you, you are amazing!
Oh gosh, no. I'm 40, that's an 83-year old woman. I have NOT mastered that pose, but that pic tells me there is NO reason I can't.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Yes, you most certainly belong here!! Congratulations!!! Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Michele
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Thank you ladies so much for the welcome! I look forward to getting to know you all too!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote