Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Switching to calorie cycling?

So I've maintained a pretty steady weight, from 138-142, for 1 1/2 years now by counting calories (about 1,700 a day). I know I should think along the lines of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," but I've been thinking...

After doing some research and hearing my husband whine about how he can't eat his favorite foods at ALL anymore (he could, but not as much. You know how some men whine...), we've looked into a calorie cycling program for him. I think it'll work PERFECTLY. Some days he'll eat less, others he can eat more and really enjoy the things he feels he can't adequately enjoy now. It'll keep him from feeling deprived, and maybe he'll stick with losing weight.

In doing the research, I got to thinking about how there are days where I'd love to have more "wiggle room." When I want to be able to eat a little more. Next Friday, for example, I'm meeting a college roommate I haven't seen in nearly three years - back when I weighed in the 220s. She wants us to meet at Texas Roadhouse (my all-time favorite place - where I haven't been in about 3 years) for lunch, and do some shopping.

I really want to go and enjoy myself, and this has got me thinking of calorie cycling as a maintainer.

Not sure I could even do it - the fear of seeing a gain is a BIG one for me. And I don't particularly like seeing my daily totals go over 1,700 either...I'm a numbers person I guess...

Anyway...Has anyone switched to a calorie cycling program AFTER losing weight successfully using a flat, regular calorie counting program?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:22 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's really not an option for me. I need to adhere to about 1200 - 1300 calories to maintain, although I do go to 1500 calories on the weekends, Friday thru Sunday IF I'm within my 5 lb maintenance range. That's about as cyclical as I get. Well that's not true. I do have my splurge meals and those ARE higher. And then I DO experience a (temporary) gain and need to tighten up my weekends again. Maybe what you're thinking of doing and what I do is the same thing, just worded differently.

I think you've got the room given your calorie budget and it sounds feasible.

Something tells me you're going to enjoy yourself regardless of what you do or don't eat at this meal. Your friend is going to be floored!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #3  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Default That would be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
Anyway...Has anyone switched to a calorie cycling program AFTER losing weight successfully using a flat, regular calorie counting program?
That would be me.
Although in my "flat, regular calorie counting program",
I tried to stay around 1000-1200 calories
I was never able to achieve an actual flat line, same calories every day etc.
My calories would usually vary a couple of hundred from day to day.

Anyway about 6 months into maintenance, I discovered a big-time calorie cycling program
called QOD, which was an extremely low calorie day alternated with a normal calorie day.
I did a form of that off and on for quite a while,
Discovered and tried another one called JUDDD, which was about the same plan.
Then investigated and tried the other various "calorie cycling" programs.

So actually I've been doing calorie cycling in one form or another,
off and on, for the past 3 1/2 years.
Since I have logged all of my food into my computer software program every day for the past 5+ years,
I find it easy to keep track of my calorie averages.
I've learned that the most important thing of any calorie plan, especially calorie cycling,
is my weekly and monthly averages.

When one does calorie cycling, the weight tends to bounce about more.
Because of this, I began keeping little color coded word tables to get a better visual feel of what was going on,
and kept a little "bounce chart" that showed the effect of consistent calorie cycling/QOD/JUDDD
...all of which are a form of "Alternate Day eating", from moderate to extreme.

As with any plan, it is effective when followed correctly,
however, for me doing it sometimes tends to put me in a "binge-fast" cycle,
which I don't mind doing occasionally
...surrounding an really Special Event...,
but sometimes even the "bingeing" on alternate days can bring my weekly calorie average far too high,
which of course causes an "actual" weight-gain.

I see this as another tool one can use to help with weight-control,
but despite claims to the contrary, I have not seen, personally,
any evidence of it giving me any kind of "metabolism" advantage.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #4  
Workin' It

I do it. Sometimes planned, sometimes unplanned. I find myself with a large meal or ice cream or something similar at least once per week, sometimes twice... I do try to limit the rest of the day around it so it doesn't get crazy, if I know it is coming.

My last seven days of calories:
Sat -2375
Sun - 1735
Mon - 1363
Tues - 1613
Wed - 1739
Thur - 1965
1541 average.

Now, that is a little low - I typically target between 1800-1900 as my average, but I'm trying to regain a little ground where I had a few too many extras over the last month or so.

I do weigh every day, so I can tell you that the scale does pop up after one of the higher calorie days, but it does seem to be coming back down.

I have to occasionally have the meal or the ice cream or I go a little nuts, and then I go way overboard.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote