100 lb. Club - I May Not Be Able To Lose 150 Lbs. Tomorrow, But...

redreine
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
We all know how this one goes, I'm sure. We'd all love to have the excess weight gone with a snap of our fingers, but it's not healthy, and it's not possible. As much as we want to find that perfect solution, it ain't happenin', people. :-P

So for right now, let's look at it this way. I may not be able to lose 150 pounds all at once, but I can lose 30 pounds 5 times. Or 5 pounds 30 times. Or 50 pounds 3 times. Or 3 pounds 50 times!

Look at all the different ways I can lose the weight! And it's so much easier than 150 pounds 1 time! (and a **** of a lot less daunting)

Now you try it. How many times can you lose a few pounds until you've reached that Ultimate Goal?:carrot:

Kae
12-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Oh, I like this... let's see...

I can't lose 128 pounds tomorrow, but I can lose...
32 lbs 4 times... 16 lbs 8 times... 8 lbs 16 times... 4 lbs 32 times...

redreine
12-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I've decided I'm going to lose 50 pounds 3 times. Each time I hit the 50 pound mark, I'm going to try just maintaining for a little while. This may sound counterproductive, but this is my reasoning:

1. A lot of people lose a ton of weight all at once, and have a hard time dealing with having a new body. I figure if I do it gradually like this, it'll be easier to deal with having a new body.
2. Buying a whole new wardrobe costs lots of moola I just don't have. I'll get a few new things every 50 pounds, and just alter the clothes when I reach that ultimate goal.

(I suppose I could try to just alter the clothes I have now, but I have a feeling the other way would work out much easier!)

LookingForMeAgain
12-08-2009, 05:10 PM
150 is my goal too! And losing 3 lbs 50 times sounds like a good plan!

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
what a wonderful way of looking at it ... it makes it seem alot more attainable

lets see i think ill shoot for trying to loose 10 pounds 7 times ....

Eliana
12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I like this math! For me, I think I'll lose 1 lb a hundred times! :D

Kae
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
1. A lot of people lose a ton of weight all at once, and have a hard time dealing with having a new body. I figure if I do it gradually like this, it'll be easier to deal with having a new body.

Going slow is definately the way to go... whether or not you deliberately try to stop and maintain, I think going slow is key. All those crash diets don't really work in the end because you don't actually take the time to learn how to live healthier. Slow allows you to get to know yourself at each step of the way, learn how to cope with the ups and downs, and gets you used to your new body.

kaylasmom010
12-08-2009, 05:24 PM
I would like to loose 50lbs 3 times also. I am ready!!

redreine
12-08-2009, 05:38 PM
You know what I'm excited for? Getting a membership to the Y!

Anyone else here have gym memberships, or do you all exercise in private?

Gracie789
12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
great idea. i can lost 35lbs 2 times, 17lbs 4 times, or 14lbs 5 times. it is sooooo much easier trying to lose a lot of weight by breaking it down into mini goals like this. i already have a bunch of mini goals but i love the idea of your math...i'm so going to be adding this to my blog!

cfmama
12-08-2009, 05:42 PM
I've ALREADY lost 50 lbs, 3 times...

my goal is to lose another 10 pounds 6 more times! That works for me!

time2lose
12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I just look at 5 pounds at a time. I don't even think about how many times I have to lose 5 pounds, still too overwhelming, but I can lose 5 pounds one more time! To date, I have lost 5 pounds 17 times.

Dulce Vida
12-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I want to lose 10 pounds ten times! I like this thread!

To answer your other question, I work out at home with the On Demand free workouts on the Exercise channel.

Melz23
12-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I just look at 5 pounds at a time. I don't even think about how many times I have to lose 5 pounds, still too overwhelming, but I can lose 5 pounds one more time! To date, I have lost 5 pounds 17 times.

I think thats how I will try to do it... 5lbs at a time. I get so overwhelmed when I think about how much i have to lose. It is so hard to stay motivated.

redreine
12-08-2009, 06:38 PM
It really is hard that way. My biggest hurdle is the amount of time it's going to take. I think "My gosh, I don't want to wait a whole year (or however long) to be thin!", and then I quit.

Then a year later, I think "Had I not quit, I'd be thin right now."

BAM. That's when it hits you like a ton of bricks. A YEAR REALLY ISN'T THAT LONG.
Just do it. Pretend like it's no big deal. Be nonchalant in your thinking about it. "Yeah, I'm on a diet. I'll be thin and healthy in like, a year or so. See ya then."
:-)

platformnine
12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I like this!!

I can't loose 100lbs tomorrow, but I can loose...
1lb 100 times
2lbs 50 times
5lbs 20 times
10lbs 10 times (this is usually the way I look at it, despite being a daily weigher - every -0.5lbs makes me :carrot:)
20lbs 5 times
25lbs 4 times
50lbs 2 times
100lbs 1 time

VernDern
12-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Im going to work on getting rid of 10 pounds 10 times! That definitely sounds much better than working toward 100 pounds!

=)

beerab
12-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I can lose 2 lbs 36 times
I can lose 3 lbs 24 times
I can lose 4 lbs 18 times
I can lose 6 lbs 12 times

Hmm I think I'll stick with 2 lbs 36 times ;)

LookingForMeAgain
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
It really is hard that way. My biggest hurdle is the amount of time it's going to take. I think "My gosh, I don't want to wait a whole year (or however long) to be thin!", and then I quit.

BAM. That's when it hits you like a ton of bricks. A YEAR REALLY ISN'T THAT LONG.
Just do it. Pretend like it's no big deal. Be nonchalant in your thinking about it. "Yeah, I'm on a diet. I'll be thin and healthy in like, a year or so. See ya then."

Its like your in my brain!! ;) I feel th exact same way. 150 pounds just to get to "normal" seems so daunting! And I keep thinking had I not quit Id be there already!

Violet73
12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
i can lose 10 pounds 10 times! I love this! :)

Aclai4067
12-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I can't lose 135 lbs in one day but...

losing 7.5 lbs 18 times sounds easiesr to me! (already done it 5 times, 13 to go)

or I could lose 5 lbs 27 times. (already done it 8 times, 19 to go)

FitGirlyGirl
12-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I can lose:
65 pounds 2 times
26 pounds 5 times
10 pounds 13 times
5 pounds 26 times
1 pound 130 times

I know I can do that because I have already lost:
29 pounds 2 times
10 pounds 5.8 times
5 pounds 11.6 times
1 pound 58 times

garnetrising
12-08-2009, 08:30 PM
To date, I've lost:
1 pound 16 time.
2 pounds 8 times.
3 pounds 5 times.
4 pounds 4 times.
5 pounds 3 times.
8 pounds 2 times.
16 pounds 1 time.

I can lose another 5 pounds and I can do it 16 more times.

ubergirl
12-08-2009, 08:59 PM
I like this math! For me, I think I'll lose 1 lb a hundred times! :D

This is how I've done it so far. Every pound is a victory!

gloo
12-09-2009, 03:23 AM
10 pounds 13 times.
5 pounds 26 times.

Uhmmm...yeah. Math hurts at 11:30 pm.

:)

Supa
12-09-2009, 05:11 AM

That's so smart and so true! I found myself thinking the same so many times and I didn't even realize! What's a year compared to a lifetime? And it's never too late.

redreine
12-09-2009, 06:55 AM
I have that thought constantly, and for once I'm finally following through with it.

My best friend and I are getting married within a month from each other, so we're dieting and exercising together, and both hoping to lose 50 pounds by her wedding date. (I'm not worried about fitting into a wedding dress, since I'm doing a courthouse wedding, so getting there by my wedding date would just be an added bonus!)

My Super-Mini-Goal is to lose 50 pounds by the 4th of July.

JustBeckyV
12-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Mine was 50 lbs twice and then I am going to set a new goal

dragonwoman64
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
You know what I'm excited for? Getting a membership to the Y!

Anyone else here have gym memberships, or do you all exercise in private?

omg, not math! I'm going to lose one lb how ever many times, heh heh heh!

I love my Y membership. Love going there. Have been doing it for a few years, and feel like it was a great choice for me (even though I felt intimidated at first).

ubergirl
12-09-2009, 11:10 AM
omg, not math! I'm going to lose one lb how ever many times, heh heh heh!

I love my Y membership. Love going there. Have been doing it for a few years, and feel like it was a great choice for me (even though I felt intimidated at first).

Me too! I'm so glad I belong to the Y.

time2lose
12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Supa originally posted What's a year compared to a lifetime? And it's never too late.

Very true, a year is going to pass regardless. A year from now we can weigh the same, weigh more, or weigh less. It is up to us. Even a small loss is a victory.

Dulce Vida
12-09-2009, 02:03 PM

I sooo agree with all of the above! I can't even count how many times I regretted not trying to lose weight sooner. I get a little overwhelmed when I think of how long it will take to get to goal, but then I remind myself that being healthy needs to be a life long process to actually work, not just a few months long. I don't want to just get to goal, I want to stay there! So better later than never.

LookingForMeAgain
12-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Well I thought on this some more and while Im still about losing 3lbs (because I can do that in a weeks time for now) x 50 times
Im going to start giving myself 25 pound challenges. Because I always thought well if I only had to lose 25lbs like some people do it wouldnt be hard. So 25 is big enough it gives me something to shoot for but small enough I shouldnt give up.
So 25 pounds x 6 times = 150 gone!!

Eliana
12-10-2009, 02:01 PM

You keep getting quoted! :D But you've stated perfectly the exact reason I've chosen to celebrate the anniversary of my start date! I always think, dang, if I'd only stuck with it, there's no telling where I'd be! So this time, I'm sticking with it...for a year! I've made a year long commitment, period, the end. And then maybe I'll maintain...maybe I'll keep going...but there's NO going back!

Someone around here has in their signature something like "In a year you'll be glad you started today." Honestly, that quote has been my inspiration.

bcort
12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I've got to focus on every little, individual pound - the big numbers just overwhelm me. Thanks for the reminder!

sidhe
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm taking it one pound at a time. I tell myself, "I'm just working on losing one pound." It means I stay focused, but it also means that there's not this huge mountain of pressure on me. I can have treats...but I also make sure I eat my veggies! And best of all it's a nice "gift" when I weigh in (once a month). I'm a success! Even if I've "only" lost one pound. Yeah, that means that it'll take 5 years for me to reach my goal if I only lose one pound a month. But I'd rather be at my goal in 5 years than NOT at my goal, so I figure it's all good. :D

medinazarley
12-10-2009, 10:01 PM
so back in '05 the first time i tried (and gave up) losing wieght I read the WW uses a 10% starting weight goal.

In my bathroom I have a pad of paper and ever page says a weight, each weight is 10% less then the one before, and on the bottom of every page it says when the next mini goal is, how many lbs til the mini goal, and how many lbs til I'm done. it is very motivatin, and the goals will keep getting closer together as i get smaller.

i have to lose 10% 13 times to hit my goal of 145.

katkitten
12-10-2009, 11:34 PM
I think i'll lose 10 pounds 14 times. (Ive already done it 3 times!)

Symmetry
12-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm gonna lose 22 pounds 5 times :D

redreine
12-12-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm so proud of you ladies, getting all excited for this! :D

I've recently decided that I'[m only weighing myself once each month for the following purposes: moving my ticker, and making sure what I'm doing is working.

Goals definitely do help, but I've been thinking it would be easier for me personally if I actually didn't set any mini-goals along the way...that way, I won't get so upset if I don't meet a goal, and then just quit.

I'm going to eat healthy and exercise, and when I decide I look and feel healthy, that's the weight I'm going to stay at! I don't even HAVE a goal weight anymore...just HEALTHY!

Loving Me
12-12-2009, 06:52 PM
It wasn't really intentional, but so far I've been taking my weight loss 7lbs at a time, or half a stone as UK'ers work it. Everytime I get down into a new stone and every time I get below halfway in that stone is a mini celebration for me.
The time factor does make me feel scared, when I think of how long it's going to take and am aware that the losses will slow as time goes on, but if I can just concentrate on each of those 7lbs and then move onto the next, it seems to make it easier to handle.

Symmetry
12-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Goals definitely do help, but I've been thinking it would be easier for me personally if I actually didn't set any mini-goals along the way...that way, I won't get so upset if I don't meet a goal, and then just quit.

I learned that I do mini goals better if I don't date them. It becomes less of a target, and more a milestone to celebrate. :lol:

redreine
12-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Symmetry, that's a great idea, too! I actually set a list of things I want to achieve, and I plan on posting them in my signature when they're achieved. I'm still working on tweaking my plan so that it perfectly fits me. :)