Exercise! - glider vs ellipitical trainer

View Full Version : glider vs ellipitical trainer

musiclady4
08-03-2002, 02:20 PM
I know what both machines look like and was wondering do you get as much of a work-out on the glider when you are just starting or should I just go ahead and get an elliptical that I can work into? I also have bum knees so will the glider be better? Just trying to think this out?! Any help appreicated!!

Carnation
08-03-2002, 07:26 PM
I, too, have bad knees. I have a Weslo Air Strider - same type of machine as the Glider only no bands and it is heavier.

I LOVE MY STRIDER!!!!! No impact, legs stay straight so no strain on knees, and a good work-out for me. I do 1200 reps (strides) in 20 minutes which is really flying for me since I'm not the athletic type. I started out slowly, though, and worked up to this.

One of my daughters has an elliptical trainer and likes it a lot. I have not used it, though. She had to start really slowly and build up. She even has to start slowly if she has missed a few days. She does not have any knee problems.

I would recommend the Glider based on the knee problem.

Best wishes... I hope I helped some.

mkwengert
09-14-2002, 11:39 AM
I have a friend who has a TERRIBLE bum knee and she has been using her eliptical machine everyday for the last 6 months with no problem.

I haven't tried a glider, but I have tried the eliptical machine and had a very strange problem with it....it made the balls of my feet hurt!!!:eek:All I can figure is that that is the one part of your foot that stays planted the whole time....you sort of lift the pressure off your heel as you complete the circle. So my advice is pay for one day at a gym somewhere that has both and do a whole work out on each one to see which fits you best!