Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #1  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Default A Single Principle to Declutter Your Health

I ran across this article today and found it inspiring.

It can be found at:
http://zenhabits.net/2009/09/a-singl...r-your-health/
However, I'm quoting it below, as I don't think I'm allowed to link yet.
Quote:
A Single Principle to Declutter Your Health

We can’t control the future. I wish we could, but we can’t. There are simply too many variables and uncontrolled factors at play. Even the best-laid plans are no match for unforeseen circumstances.

Sure we all enjoy the security of attempting to predict, plan, and control our futures because it’s a way for us to attempt to reach our goals, but in reality this control is nothing more then an illusion.

A perfectly planned vacation can be ruined by the weather (out of your control), a flight cancellation (out of your control) or a sickness (again, out of your control). At some point we are going to fail while attempting to control the future in order to reach our goals.

In fact, when it comes to reaching our goals we fail ALL THE TIME. But this is perfectly all right because this is the only way we learn.

The problems arise when we fail to learn from our mistakes and overlook the big picture, and then grasp for even more control by concentrating on the little, small, and insignificant things that don’t really matter.

This desire to guarantee the future by controlling the small insignificant parts of our lives seems to be human nature, and this fact is extremely evident in the field of health and nutrition.

Think of the insignificant gimmicks that you’ve been told will help you drop
pounds:

• Eat breakfast every single day: If you don’t, your body goes into ’starvation mode’.
• Drink Coffee to speed up your metabolism
• Drink 12 glasses of cold water every day
• Eat protein for lunch
• Sip Green Tea all day
• Take your Fish Oil Pills every day.

In reality NONE of these things are going to result in significant or long lasting weight loss results.

Each one is either a misuse of scientific fact (confusing an association with causation), is an exaggeration (the ‘metabolism boosting’ effects of green tea or caffeine) or is simply repeating common myths as facts (protein for lunch).

And while the health marketers that push these info tid-bits may or may not mean well, convincing you to focus on the minor and mostly irrelevant tasks can not only prevent you from losing weight, it can also affect your health.

Successfully losing weight seems to be one of the most difficult life-problems to solve.

Yet it can be solved with one of the easiest solutions: Eating less.

Spending too much of your time concentrating on the insignificant parts in an attempt to control the future will cause you to lose sight of the big picture – In this case the big picture is that your body is perfectly capable of burning fat and losing weight without you needing to obsess and stress over learning how this happens.

The exact details are out of your control. Obsessing about them does not change them.

But if you continually try to control the things that are out of your control with the small insignificant part of your life, you end up spending almost all of your time obsessing about health, nutrition and fitness. Recording your meals in a spread sheet, twittering about how ‘healthy’ your breakfast was, spending an extra 5 dollars to have a 90 cent chicken breast added to your salad at lunch and fretting over the timing of your next meal.

Too much of this and you can end up in a very bad place: Spending every single waking moment of your life thinking, talking and stressing over your health.

And this is NOT healthy.

It’s nothing more than a mind full of insignificant health and fitness clutter.

In essence, by thinking that we can guarantee our future by controlling insignificant day-to-day things we end up sacrificing the enjoyment of our lives for some far off distant goal.

And remember, we can’t control the future, so we end up hopelessly grasping for control with more and more of the insignificant things, the ‘fluff’ and clutter.

And herein lies the big picture that we end up missing: Health is a lifestyle. It is a process. It is not a reward.

You should enjoy the process. It should be easy and sustainable. And in the best of situations, it should be mindless.

Enjoying the process means finding a simple and manageable way to enjoy eating less, and then eliminating the mind-clutter and the obsessive attachment to the insignificant little things. By doing this you eliminate the need to control the future, because you are enjoying the process.

The bottom line is that If you can’t sit down with a close friend for twenty minutes and have a good conversation WITHOUT talking about nutrition or your workouts, you need to take a step back and breathe.

Concentrate on getting the best results in the most comfortable and enjoyable way without worrying about the insignificant fluff.

Enjoy the process.

Oh, I would SO like to do this:

... "find a simple and manageable way to enjoy eating less,
and then eliminate the mind-clutter and the obsessive attachment to the insignificant little things."

Last edited by Bright Angel; 12-08-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, dear. Sadly, this piece hasn't inspired me, though I thank you for posting it, as it's worth discussing.

I would like to get to the point where eating less is a "mindless" process, and effortless, but right now, I am still in a place where I have to be extremely mindful.

This person is describing a state of being that I can only aspire to, right now.

To me, acquiring healthy habits is like muscular memory. Like learning to balance on a bicycle or to ice-skate. At some point, you stop thinking about it. But until you get to that point, there's a lot of slipping & falling, and you have to concentrate, and you may be shaky.

Also, this writer has used the "obsess" word. We have talked a lot here about the difference between "dedication" and "obsession."

I think this writer is talking about average people who were not terribly unhealthy before, just a little slipshod here & there. This writer is not talking about people like me. I had a completely dysfunctional, addictive relationship with food & was in denial about my health. I cannot go from that, directly to being mindless. There's an intermediate, remedial stage for me.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #3  
Workin' It

Interesting read, BrightAngel. I don't know that I totally agree with it though. I like the concept of pursuit of health becoming mindless, but I know my own nature and don't think I would end up with a healthy lifestyle mindlessly. My nature is more lazy than anything - if I didn't think about it I wouldn't exercise, I wouldn't keep track of what I ate, I wouldn't consciously shop for healthier foods. I would grab the closest item at hand that I enjoy and to heck with the consequences. And, I don't know if I consider trying to get enough protein or exercise as 'insignificant fluff' or 'obsessing'. But, that is just me, I know some people do.

Maybe one day I'll be at a point where there items are second nature and I don't think about them, like the muscular memory Saef was talking about. Not there yet, though.

Something to think about though, thanks!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I totally agree that we like to try to maximize the last 5% while we haven't yet managed the first 95% - and we somehow expect that 5% to trump the other 95%! In some way, psychologically, it seems easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Angel View Post
Oh, I would SO like to do this:[/COLOR][/FONT]
... "find a simple and manageable way to enjoy eating less,
and then eliminate the mind-clutter and the obsessive attachment to the insignificant little things."
I so agree with this too - I find mindful eating to be essential. Not necessarily easy at first, but extremely rewarding.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-08-2009 at 12:42 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I also found this an interesting read, but don't know if I agree with it, either. "Mindless" for me got me to nearly 300 lbs, and "mindful" got me down to where I am today...mindful of many things, including some of the "fluff" like protein (for me, I am less hungry if I eat more protein, and for me, not being hungry is instrumental to eating less, which is the big picture item that everyone agrees on). This is also based on my own priorities, food-wise, which are essentially to eat a higher food volume at a calorie level that maintains my weight loss and to fuel my body in a way to support muscle growth and exercise...to meet this personal priority takes a bit more planning than "eat less". But if one was to simply lose weight, with no competing fitness or satiety goals, "eat less" probably would be sufficient. All depends on what your goals are.

I'm also one to bristle at that "Obsessed" terminology, because I think it's a fine line that varies by individual that divides "doing what needs to be done" from "obsessive". What experiences teaches me that I need to maintain my weight is probably what others would call "obsessive", but to me, it's becoming nearly mindless.

Quote:
The bottom line is that If you can’t sit down with a close friend for twenty minutes and have a good conversation WITHOUT talking about nutrition or your workouts, you need to take a step back and breathe.
This part I agree with. There's a lot more to my life than weight loss. But there's a lot more to my personal weight loss than "eat less", too.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #6  
Year 9 in Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I would like to get to the point where eating less is a "mindless" process, and effortless, but right now, I am still in a place where I have to be extremely mindful.

This writer is not talking about people like me. I had a completely dysfunctional, addictive relationship with food & was in denial about my health. I cannot go from that, directly to being mindless. There's an intermediate, remedial stage for me.
I got a different take on the article.
To me, the ability to "eliminate mind-clutter and obsessive attachment to the insignificant little things"
does not mean "mindless" as opposed to "mindful" eating.
I think "mind-clutter" consists of all the confusing details and minor differences
that exist between differing diet (and exercise) plans,
especially when those details are allegedly the 'best or only' way.

An example would be when the following Situation exists:
......I am not on a low-carb diet; I'm hungry; and I want some form of bread as my food......

To me it is Mindful to consider:
*How much energy (calorie number) is in my food intake?
*Am I eating the right amount to maintain my ideal weight?
*Do I like the taste of the food I'm planning to eat?

while Mind clutter is the continual mental questioning, the battle....
Refined or complex carbs? Processed food? Does it contain sugar?
Does it contain sufficient vitamins and minerals?
Will my body burn my fat better if I avoid bread altogether?
Is it better to only eat bread at a certain time of the day?
Should I only eat bread along with other specific foods?
and on and on and on.
Sometimes I feel just boxed in a corner,
where every food choice, no matter what, will be the wrong one.

That kind of "mind-clutter' wears me out.
How lovely it would be just to be able to simplify the process,
with my only criteria to "eat less".
Old 12-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #7  
No description available.

"Eating less" is not a very helpful concept for me personally. It is very possible to take "eating less" to an unhealthy extreme. It is just as vital for me to have enough nutrition as it is to not have too much. Finding a balance to me means NOT abusing food or my body by taking it to either extreme. I have to be on top of my game, bursting with energy for my kids, my patients, myself---healthy food, and enough of it!, is absolutely essential.

For me some of those "insignificant gimmicks" are quite helpful. When I eat appropriately one day, I am ravenous for breakfast the next. When I eat crap, I am not particularly hungry for breakfast. When I finish a 3 mile run at 6 in the morning, I need nutrition to function through the morning. Breakfast is vital--for me. Protein is vital--for me. Protein for lunch? You betcha! And breakfast and dinner and snacks and after lifting weights. Protein is not gimmick for me; it is a central part of my nutrition plan.

I find planning very helpful. I spend more time stressing about food choices when I have NOT planned then when I do. Many of my food choices are ingrained habits for me, but having an overarching plan or strategy for the day (or the holiday season!) is very freeing for me. I have less guilt, stress, and cravings when I plan what I eat and eat what I plan. Mindlessness got me to 50 lbs overweight. Mindfulness has allowed me to maintain that weight loss for 18 months.

Can I sit down with a close friend and have a conversation for 20 minutes without talking about diet and exercise? Sure. That might be the one piece of this article I can relate to.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #8  

Quote:
I got a different take on the article.
To me, the ability to "eliminate mind-clutter and obsessive attachment to the insignificant little things" does not mean "mindless" as opposed to "mindful" eating.
I think "mind-clutter" consists of all the confusing details and minordifferences that exist between differing diet (and exercise) plans, especially when those details are allegedly the 'best or only' way.
I agree. I just think everybody's going to have a different take on what is essential and what is clutter. For example ...

Quote:
An example would be when the following Situation exists:
......I am not on a low-carb diet; I'm hungry; and I want some form of bread as my food......

To me it is Mindful to consider:
*How much energy (calorie number) is in my food intake?
*Am I eating the right amount to maintain my ideal weight?
*Do I like the taste of the food I'm planning to eat?

while Mind clutter is the continual mental questioning, the battle....
Refined or complex carbs? Processed food? Does it contain sugar?
Does it contain sufficient vitamins and minerals?
Will my body burn my fat better if I avoid bread altogether?
Is it better to only eat bread at a certain time of the day?
Should I only eat bread along with other specific foods?
and on and on and on.
I personally find the questions of refined or whole carbs, processed foods, and sugar to be essential. I'd agree most of the rest are, if not clutter, fine points that are not worth my time until I have more basic things in place. But that's just me, I know others will parse it differently.

Quote:
Sometimes I feel just boxed in a corner,
where every food choice, no matter what, will be the wrong one.

That kind of "mind-clutter' wears me out.
I think this is a common and unfortunate problem. It's not easy to navigate!

Quote:
How lovely it would be just to be able to simplify the process,
with my only criteria to "eat less".
Simplify where needed, oh yes! But for me, being able to "eat less" long term 100% depends on *what* I'm eating. The vast majority of it's gotta be nutrient dense and unrefined to be mentally and physiologically satisfying.

Then again, this is exactly what I like about the whole foods approach - it simplifies things for me. I guess it just doesn't feel simple to you, which is fine. I don't think whole foods has to mean trying to figure out which nut is healthiest. YMMV, but *I* wouldn't lump whole foods (refined vs whole grains, processed foods, and sugar) in with the rest of the possible hair-splitting I don't recommend anyone follow something that doesn't feel right and simple to them, so I'm not trying to change your mind. Just another perspective

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-08-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

I think that if you analyze things individually they might look small, but if you look at the big picture, they become an important part of a big change.
Like walking 5 more minutes, eating 100 less calories, having breakfast in the morning, eating more protein, etc...
You just can’t do it without thinking about it. You need to be conscious about your priorities.
To me it would only be obsessive if you can’t EVER give yourself a break. Now if keep it a routine when once in a while is ok to break the rule, it isn’t obsess, but an habit.
All those things adds up and can help you to get at your goal. It isn’t about predict the future, but make sure your future will be a better and healthier one.

Last edited by belezura; 12-08-2009 at 03:06 PM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

At this point, I don't want to eat less. That's not my goal.

I want to eat enough. Enough to be healthy and strong, support my lean body mass (skin, bone, muscle), and maintain my weight at a good level. Enough to support my activity level.

I don't want to eat as much as I want of everything I want. That's how I got up to almost 200 pounds.

I want to eat enough.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #11  

I just wanted to mention that I totally get what you mean about feeling simple is good, and feeling cluttered by what others might prefer. For example, I really love "Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much." But I know some people *hate* it. That's OK.

I think sometimes those of us that break it down to something very simple are actually doing a lot of complex things, but they've become so ingrained that we don't think of them. To someone just starting out, "eat less" may be distinctly unhelpful, and indeed people on this forum have been *offended* by it. But at some point, that same simplification becomes a shorthand for everything you've learned, and it really speaks to you.

The beginner might need a lot of detail. The maintained might equally *need* simplification. But I suspect what the successful beginner actually does is a lot simpler than their chatter belies, and what the maintainer does is more complex than they describe.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-09-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

This is a very interesting discussion! I love you guys -- always insightful and relevant.

If I were perfectly in-tune with my body's nutritional needs, then I think eating could be "mindless". I'd eat what I needed when I need it, not too much and not too little. Balanced. But, I'm just not there and I don't know if I ever will be. I've spent too much of my life learning to uncouple my eating from my body's needs - because of poor habits, societal cues, and emotional factors. So I have to consciously measure and calculate to achieve that balance.

I do think that diet and exercise CAN cross over into the obsessive though, and that's something to watch for. It shouldn't take over our life to the point that it's all we think about or do. But I don't think daily meal/calorie planning is obsessive. It just becomes like brushing your teeth, making your grocery list, watching the gas gauge on your car -- it's just part of the normal routine. My routine just involves keeping a food log, weighing myself, and exercise.

Last edited by MBN; 12-09-2009 at 07:56 AM.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #13  
Year 9 in Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
So I have to consciously measure and calculate
I don't think daily meal/calorie planning is obsessive. It just becomes like brushing your teeth, making your grocery list, watching the gas gauge on your car -- it's just part of the normal routine. My routine just involves keeping a food log, weighing myself, and exercise.
I agree completely with this statement.
That is also my own personal method for maintenance,
and making that part of my routine into a Habit has worked well for me.
The mind-clutter I'd like to do without are all the little "truths" and "myths"
about diets, foods, ways of eating, inner workings of the body, and forms of exercise
that I, personally, either don't understand
or that I consciously choose to not to make a part of my own life.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #14  
banned

Its truly inspiring, “Health is a lifestyle ” indeed. I try very hard to live and work on my diet one day at a time. For me its the only way to seize the moment and stay on track.
mort20 is offline   Reply With Quote