100 lb. Club - No longer eligible...

View Full Version : No longer eligible...

ubergirl
12-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Drum roll please.....

My BMI is 34.97.... :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

So I'm NO LONGER A CANDIDATE FOR WLS :carrot::carrot::carrot:

A year ago September I had given up hope and decided that WLS was the ONLY way for me to lose weight-- even though a little voice in my head was telling me that it wasn't the right choice for me. At the time, my BMI was 42.

At the last second, the surgery was postponed due to insurance issues. They weren't happy with my diet history, which was sort of an ad hoc collection of me telling my GP how much I had dieted, which in fact, wasn't much. My previous diet attempts never lasted more than a week or two. I took that as proof that I "couldn't diet." My GP and surgeon were gung ho to have me do the surgery, so I guess I have the insurance company to thank. How odd is that?

My GP told me that since I was morbidly obese I'd never do better than to lose the same ten pounds over and over. Even a weight loss nutritionist suggested that 175 (BMI of 26) was an unreasonable goal and that I was too old and too fat to expect to ever reach onderland (without WLS).

When the surgery was cancelled, I decided not to reschedule.... and in the disappointed aftermath, gained another twenty pounds, peaking out at a BMI of 45.

To be eligible for WLS you have to have a BMI of greater than 40, or greater than 35 with "co-morbidities..." and of course my knees and hips hurt sometimes since I'm in my forties and was morbidly obese for twenty years.

But this morning, I have a BMI of less than 35!!!!

Six months of following a reasonable eating plan, exercising, and listening to the collective wisdom at 3FC was all I needed. And I would have had to change my eating habits with WLS too. I guess I knew deep down all along that it was my head, not my stomach, that needed readjusting. In fact, I'm hardly ever hungry, and when I am, I just eat an on plan snack.

I did not need a smaller stomach. I needed to learn to make better choices.

There may be people for whom it is the right choice, but I'm basically healthy and could get the weight off on my own. That tells me that the risks would not have been worth it in my case.

This is a HAPPY day for me. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

I would love to walk into that surgeon's office right now and say LOOK AT ME. I'm kind of appalled in retrospect about how the medical community is not walking the walk. They tell us that WLS should be a last resort, but they treat it more like a first resort. At least the people I dealt with. The surgeon was oh so sympathetic and "understanding" but looking back it just played into my belief that dieting was impossible.

Thanks to my chickies at 3FC I learned differently. Anything is possible!

paris81
12-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Congrats! What an accomplishment, that's fantastic. You should go down to the surgeon's office! Flaunt yourself!

Eliana
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Wow, what a wonderful feeling! You aren't too terribly far now from just being "over weight"!

Great job!

Mikayla
12-08-2009, 10:28 AM
That is fantastic! Before posting on 3FC I would have NEVER thought that professionals would outright tell people that they had no hope in losing weight. I'm not sure I even understand how that is possible/true. How can you be too fat to lose weight? Well you are proving it is possible to lose weight and that's awesome!

midwife
12-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Congrats!!!! :cheer:

lauralyn
12-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Maybe you should go talk to the doctor and show them what you have lost on your own!

Gracie789
12-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Congrats, you rock! I really understand where you're coming from with the WLS issue. For me, I really thought that was the only possible way I could ever lose any weight, even though I never really dieted or tried to adjust my lifestyle. WLS seemed like the ideal solution since I "couldn't" lose weight by myself. In reality it was those darn mental barriers that held me back. Once I overcame some of those the pounds just melted off. I like to joke that I had an "all-natural gastric bypass." Once I cut out the junk foods and began to eat healthy portions my stomach has shrunk, to the point where I cannot overeat without getting horribly ill. Again congrats, its really an inspiration hearing stories like yours and knowing I'm not alone out there with these issues. :)

CardboardCutoutCat
12-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Congratulations :dance:

KforKitty
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
You should be quite rightly proud of what you have achieved and know that your goal is possible. I'm a similar age and starting weight and now well below my 170 goal and thinking the previously 'impossible dream' that I can even get to the 150s.

Great news.

Kitty

LotusMama
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Yahoo! What a victory; congratulations!

Cheers,

J

Slashnl
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
That is awesome! Yay for the insurance company!!!
I just think it is funny that the insurance company had the right idea, even though it was probably for the wrong reasons (they didn't want to pay for the surgery) and the surgeon/doctor didn't give the right encouragement, also for the wrong reasons (what money do they make if you diet and exercise as opposed to a costly surgery?).

Good stuff!!!

dragonwoman64
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
My GP told me that since I was morbidly obese I'd never do better than to lose the same ten pounds over and over. Even a weight loss nutritionist suggested that 175 (BMI of 26) was an unreasonable goal and that I was too old and too fat to expect to ever reach onderland (without WLS).

I never spoke to any docs re WLS, I have to tell you, this shocked me, that they told you this. Maybe you should let them know about your progress. Open their eyes to other possibilities for people.

But this morning, I have a BMI of less than 35!!!!

:congrat: :congrat: :congrat:

club
12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Congratulations in achieving your goal!!! You should be very proud of yourself!! WAY TO GO!!

cathydoe
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

LesliesMom
12-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Way to go. I love it!

Angie

thistoo
12-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Yay you! That's fantastic news, and you have every right to be really proud of yourself for conquering not only your own doubts, but the doubts of the medical professionals around you and achieving your goal.

Your post makes me grateful for my doctor, I have to say. I was already in onederland when I started seeing her, but at least she doesn't tell me that I can't achieve my goal just because I'm closing in on 40. (In fact, she would like me to be 10 pounds lighter than the goal I set for myself.)

Shannon in ATL
12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow! How fabulous is that! :) Congratulations!

girlonfire
12-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Congrats!

Meg
12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Congratulations! :congrat:

We're all capable of so much more than we ever thought.

I had a doctor who actually got angry at me for being able to lose weight without surgery and he called me a freak. Obviously it was because he was overweight and struggling to lose weight himself, but it still stung. Also obviously, I got a new doctor!

My PCP (different doctor) has a standard answer for me when I ask her my questions about life after weight loss (excess skin, metabolism, calorie needs) -- she doesn't know. She says that I'm her only patient, in 30 years of practice, who has lost this much weight and kept it off. So yeah, she routinely recommends WLS for her obese patients because, in her experience, no one (except for me) is willing to do the hard work of weight loss.

It's up to us to change the perceptions of the medical establishment, one at a time. By losing weight and keeping it off, we can demonstrate that there IS a viable alternative to surgery and that large weight losses can be maintained, even by those of us who started out in morbid obesity. And maybe, maybe -- we can change the perceptions of obese people who believe that surgery is their only option for a healthy life. By living the dream, we can make it a reality for others. :)

salsa chip
12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
We're all capable of so much more than we ever thought.

THIS!

Hurray! :carrot: You are AWESOME and you can do anything you want!! Congrats!

rockinrobin
12-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm so happy for you. Look what you've accomplished.

I too had a similar experience. With a BMI of a whopping 56, I was headed for WLS, 7 days away from it in fact. When I opted out, my general physician told me that "it would be impossible for me to lose all the weight that I needed to without it." Ha.

Then I went to a nutritionist, who told me "you'll never make it out of the 180'S" Ha.

I wish someone would have said, "work on those behaviors. work on them. work on them. work on them. and then there's no way that you CAN'T not lose the weight."

Congratulations on a huge milestone. I look forward to hearing of you meeting and surpassing many more.

kaylasmom010
12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Congratulations your story is very inspiring!

cfmama
12-08-2009, 12:02 PM
That is a HUGE accomplishment! Way to go my friend!!!!

jay41
12-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I too thought about WLS. I have friends that went through it and urged me to go that route. Even they are astounded that I'm down to a BMI of 33 from 47 without surgery.

I'm well on my way to goal and their weight loss has stalled. Now they study what I eat and how much I exercise :D

I am 43 so age is not on my side. The weight is coming off slowly but steadily. I haven't been to a doctor in 20+ years so I'm not sure what's going on with them, but I AM glad of all the support I get at this site. I don't post much but I've learned that it CAN be done...there are so many people here that have proven that.

Congratulations on that big milestone!

lovemyboy
12-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Way to prove them wrong!!

ubergirl
12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
It's up to us to change the perceptions of the medical establishment, one at a time. By losing weight and keeping it off, we can demonstrate that there IS a viable alternative to surgery and that large weight losses can be maintained, even by those of us who started out in morbid obesity. And maybe, maybe -- we can change the perceptions of obese people who believe that surgery is their only option for a healthy life. By living the dream, we can make it a reality for others. :)

Yes, yes, and yes! When I succeed in reaching my goal, I hope I will be able to be a positive force for change.

The biggest thing holding us back, in my opinion, is the pervasive belief out there that weight loss is impossible.

But why impossible? It's hard, but I've done other hard things in my life. It's a challenge, but so are many other things.

Nada
12-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I have read about people being told that WLS was the only option and I am apalled at that.

This is why I really appreciate this site: to see these success stories and why I check out the Maintenance Forum from time to time.

Congratulations

Judy Lynn
12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
That is an awesome accomplishment! Congrats!

rockinrobin
12-08-2009, 12:37 PM
The biggest thing holding us back, in my opinion, is the pervasive belief out there that weight loss is impossible.

But why impossible? It's hard, but I've done other hard things in my life. It's a challenge, but so are many other things.

Yes. I thought that it was impossible to lose such an enormous amount of weight. Till I finally said, "well why NOT?, why the heck NOT?" You change your eating habits and then you chip away and chip away at those numbers. One pound at a time. Then another. Then another.

Someone earlier mentioned age as a factor and quite frankly, I don't think that that matters much. I didn't start this venture till I was 2 months shy of 43. I know there are people here who have done it even later and post-menopausal. Weight loss IS a doable thing for anyone and everyone. There ARE ways around *these* obstacles.

Yes, it may be hard, initially, but it doesn't compare to the hard of being morbidly obese or in my case super morbidly obese.

ubergirl
12-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes. I thought that it was impossible to lose such an enormous amount of weight. Till I finally said, "well why NOT?, why the heck NOT?" You change your eating habits and then you chip away and chip away at those numbers. One pound at a time. Then another. Then another.

Someone earlier mentioned age as a factor and quite frankly, I don't think that that matters much. I didn't start this venture till I was 2 months shy of 43. I know there are people here who have done it even later and post-menopausal. Weight loss IS a doable thing for anyone and everyone. There ARE ways around *these* obstacles.

Yes, it may be hard, initially, but it doesn't compare to the hard of being morbidly obese or in my case super morbidly obese.

Yeah. The age thing is weird and it doesn't seem to make that much difference. I mean it's true that I need to eat 1200-1300 to lose and younger people need more. On the other hand, it's also true that I don't have as big an appetite as I used to and I manage just fine on that amount.

I guess as far as weight loss is concerned, it isn't over until the fat lady sings....:lol3:

CLCSC145
12-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Way to go!!! I'm so happy for you! :cheer2:

TJFitnessDiva
12-08-2009, 04:03 PM
That is an awesome thing to not be eligible for!

FitGirlyGirl
12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
That is sooo awesome! :woohoo: :congrat:

I know the feeling. I didn't discuss it with the doc, but I had decided to talk to him about it. I set myself a 2 month goal and decided that if I could do that then I would just keep going without surgery and if not I'd talk to the doc. It was close, but I did it. I remember the feeling when I got below my insurance company's limit to qualify for WLS. I did lots of happy dances.

It makes me mad when docs tell people WLS is the only way to go. I'm not sure if there is anyone that is actually true for, but I know that it isn't true for all the people the docs claim it is. It makes me wonder at the motives. They flat out lie. They told a friend of mine that WLS could "cure" diabetes - type 1 and 2. Ummmmm? Nothing can "cure" diabetes, especially not type 1. Grrrrrrrrr! I am glad you did not listen to them and proud of you.